Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2017 9:47 PM

May 2014
Damn it! That episode felt way too short, and judging from some of the comments, it looks like next week's episode is going to be pretty good too. Maybe I should just read the LN while I wait.
Jan 13, 2017 9:52 PM

Jun 2015
Hm I don't know if i feel surprised for the twist or disillusioned that it is another anime of a boy reincarnated in a fantasy world.
For the moment i will enjoy it.
Jan 13, 2017 10:01 PM

Apr 2014
Not gonna lie but the beginning scene with God was done really well. Also I'm starting to get used to the designs so that's a good thing I guess.
Jan 13, 2017 10:12 PM
Jul 2013
This anime is definitely one of the better ones to come out this season (so far). I'm interested to see where it goes from here.
Jan 13, 2017 10:21 PM
Aug 2016
Z4k said:
Not gonna lie but the beginning scene with God was done really well. Also I'm starting to get used to the designs so that's a good thing I guess.

Yeah. I personally thought that the scene was handled better in the anime than the light novel.
Jan 13, 2017 10:55 PM

Sep 2011
Man, this might be my favorite new show this season.

That scene where Tanya meets her new recruits absolutely killed me.
Jan 13, 2017 11:01 PM

Jul 2011
The train scene was really neat. I would love to see that used in another series.

This was more along the lines of what I expected this series. Kinda wish they started with this! Looking forward to the rest.

Less of the brown hair girl though, those eyes ugh.
Jan 13, 2017 11:09 PM

Jun 2015
Really interesting premise, it felt new yet oddly familiar.
The animation isn't fascinating, though maybe it's just my high standards for the new studio. Hopefully there will be some breathtaking animation to accompany in later episodes.
Still, the whole episode was very interesting, seemed to go by faster than the first episode lol
Jan 13, 2017 11:31 PM

Jan 2016
Really liked the first 5 or 6 minutes of this episodes. Did a good job of explaining things.

This show is shaping up to be my favorite show this season. Really enjoyed these 2 first episodes.

Jan 13, 2017 11:34 PM
Jan 2017
Can someone tell me who that guy making the pendant was? I like spoilers.
Jan 14, 2017 12:47 AM

Aug 2008
Soooo. Tanya used to be some self-centered Salaryman living in current day Tokyo. Him being hardline atheist and rigid adherent to logic and reason pissed off "God" (Being X).

When he gets into an accident and killed because of bad karma, he refutes God to the very last minute, prompting God to not only reincarnate him into the body of a newborn girl... But does it on an alternate world to Earth, experiencing WW2-era conditions.

Now, our hero, reborn into a cute girl, must experience the hardships of said world while being told he gets no second reincarnation. Well, that certainly feels interesting!

I feel that the introduction of the prologue in this way is better and more interesting. I think that that suddenly putting in an out-of-character protagonist on the first episode, THEN surprising us by explaining what makes "her" tick like so on the second episode, makes for some very fascinating experience. Putting the prologue first might've made things more monotonous and less impactful, too.

This anime suddenly went from like a 7 to a freaking 9, in my opinion. If it stays this interesting for the entire cour, I'll even give it a 10! I feel it's that promising.

Also, I can't believe that this anime is this studio's first project. Studio "Nut"? Feels like a good budget anime from Madhouse or White Fox in terms of quality.
Jan 14, 2017 1:08 AM

Apr 2014
The episode was awesome and the last scene with Tanya all dressed up made me laugh. She literally had a look saying "Kill me now!". :D

Alcatraz_Zombie said:
Maybe I should just read the LN while I wait.
Only the first volume was translated (400+ pages). The translator said that this LN is way too hard to translate with all its terminology.
Jan 14, 2017 1:30 AM

Oct 2015
it was a good episode.I was nice idea to give backstory because episode 1 seems to differ from synopsis but not it linked together
Jan 14, 2017 1:32 AM

May 2016
Satisfying episodes this one, but I see that some scene at manga is missing.
Jan 14, 2017 2:03 AM

Sep 2013
So what's the setting for this story?

The episode said something about a European country which lost a major war.

So Magical WWI Germany?

It's a Mahou Shoujo show in disguise!
Jan 14, 2017 2:03 AM
Oct 2007
Holy ****! I think this show is my most anticipated for this new season. I love the setting and story development so much!! The author is a genius. Not sure how the studio director or scriptwriter changed it up but they feel like a genius too. Lol!!!

Does anybody knows where I can read the LN?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2017 2:21 AM

Oct 2011
what a backstory for Tanya OMG
Jan 14, 2017 2:38 AM

Jun 2013
that was just amazing much better than the first episode
Jan 14, 2017 2:47 AM

Apr 2015
actually this is good. The animation man wow, hard to believe this is a new studio.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Jan 14, 2017 2:50 AM
Feb 2009
Axelucard said:
that was just amazing much better than the first episode

First episode seemed rushed but this was much better. Maybe becaues her sidekick was missing.
Jan 14, 2017 3:33 AM

Jul 2016
Quite an impressive episode. Although he admitted that he has a twisted personality and he doesn't believe in God's existence, he's eager to survive, cause he won't be reincarnated anymore, as said by the being X.

Too bad he became an ace and put on the front lines, where this kind of thing was not on his planned, of why he's seeking for higher rank, so he'll be somewhere on the outside of the war. Lol xD just laugh on the part where he suddenly thought of seeking for a child institution.

Pretty much, I did enjoyed the show so far, and looking forward for the next episode.
Jan 14, 2017 3:54 AM
Sep 2014
Rook81 said:
They undermined the integrity of their own narrative. This should have been ep1. Here's why:

Ep.2; introduces the main conflict of Tanya vs. Being X; faith vs. faithlessness. Shows what's possiblly a proxy for Being X making magic trinket.

Ep.1; Shows Tanya invoking the name of God in her incantations, using magic trinket.

This is NOT how good storytelling works. It's out of order. Mystery gone. No tension, no buildup, we already got the payoff. Doing this was incredibly dumb and bad.

Either way, I'm still in. The convo with Being X sold it.

You're assuming that Tanya believes in God by the time of episode 1.

Assuming that Tanya's stance on the existence of God has not changed since reincarnating, it should then raise the question of why she invoked the name of God to vanquish her foes. The likely reason is that it's just an incantation to unleash the full power of her mahical trinket, nothing more.
Jan 14, 2017 4:45 AM
Jan 2016
Nicromatic said:

Clementine + Madoka = Tanya.
Jan 14, 2017 5:08 AM

Jan 2014
I've read the manga and see some arts on the net

It's suprisingly different from the anime. I expected this to be AOTY base on what I have read from the manga.

The anime is also good, but as of this ep.2 it doesn't really highlights the realistic part of the main's personality.

But overall it is much better compare to episode 1
Jan 14, 2017 5:57 AM

Aug 2014
Was that finger twitching in stopped time a JoJo reference? lol

inb4 not everything is a JoJo reference stop it

I really liked the episode, more than the first one. I agree with people saying that this flashback as episode 2 works better than showing events in chronological order. It really kept my attention high the whole time
Jan 14, 2017 7:02 AM

Sep 2012
MysteriousBanana said:
Nicromatic said:

Funny part is Tanya has same VA with Clem
Jan 14, 2017 7:19 AM

Apr 2013
sasalx said:
MysteriousBanana said:

With Madoka too, that was his point ;).
Jan 14, 2017 7:22 AM

Sep 2012
Zefyris said:
sasalx said:

With Madoka too, that was his point ;).

Ahh I see.I instantly remember they have same VA but didn't know Madoka has same VA too.Now that makes sense.
Jan 14, 2017 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
The explanation, makes it more understandable and interesting, certain aspects of the story. The small digression is also a twist, seen what happens. The comic brackets, could be enough, but it seems, even this anime series, it has passed unscathed from moe effect, oh well! At least the story is a little less dramatic, but the vintage lovers, no love this turn taken by the narrative.

But we were not in the year 2013? We are talking of 2017, something is wrong. :P

Best part! I'm scared!

Jan 14, 2017 8:03 AM

Jul 2016
We got some backstory for the crazy loli, and damn, can't say I expected that.
I'm interested now.

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Jan 14, 2017 8:40 AM

May 2014
So this episode was definitely a step- up from the last and felt much more like an introduction episode. Never have been much of a fan of those "I guess you're wondering how I got here" episodes. So it turns out a salaryman is not some weird magical military code name like I thought. Nope, the loli MC is actually a middle aged, sadistic office worker from the present day XD

I thought the scene with God/Being X was done really well and it was definitely creepy. Tanya is also creepy, but her (?) little monologues were hilarious, especially how she just wants a quiet life, but ended up getting sent to the frontlines anyway. Oh and that ending scene lol

Wondering when we'll get the actual opening sequence bc I love the song.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2017 9:45 AM

Mar 2014
Episode 1 discussion thread was a shitshow, but this episode discussion thread is actually somewhat pleasant...?

10/10 MAL

Jan 14, 2017 10:26 AM
Jan 2017
MysteriousBanana said:
Rook81 said:
Better? I couldn't quite follow what you meant, so edited the best I could.

I'd like to see ep2 be ep1, but ep1 belongs waaaay down the line. They put the end at the beginning.

You're assuming the events of episode one is the "payoff", thus ruining all the buildup of the subsequent episodes, but it isn't, thus it really doesn't; chronologically the events of episode 1 takes place immediately after the events that will be shown in episode 3, there's a ton of material afterwards that hasn't even been touched yet.
Hey, if it works out that way and they don't pad out the story there, I'll be happy. Still, I stand by my position. Putting things out of order is a really questionable call. I'm in until the end regardless, just wish I could have more faith in the writing staff.
Jan 14, 2017 11:06 AM

Nov 2015
Episode 2 was quite good ,that ending scene lol ,you could see how his soul is burning inside :))
Jan 14, 2017 11:16 AM
May 2013
LOL, I almost thought it was a different anime at the start. I almost comment in the fansuber page that they're give a wrong download link. But seriusly... It was a nice twist
Jan 14, 2017 11:57 AM
Jan 2017
It was great! I prefer the LN over the manga and the anime, but watching the anime right after I read the corrseponding chapter from the LN was a great choice!

In the first episode the appearance of Tanya and Visha was a little bit weird for me because of the manga but after this ep I understood why they chose to make them this way and I could trully appraciate the animation of every scene. Just hoping every episode will be this good in the future!

I hope studio NUT will be succesfull and if Madhouse won't make a second season of Overlord than NUT will! :)

BTW I so missed the inner dialogues of Tanya in the first ep, those are the best! And of course every scene where she's a total badass or sadist is golden! But the final scene is just too good. Did not thought embarassed Tanya who seemingly lost hope in everything looks this cute! :D
Jan 14, 2017 12:21 PM

Sep 2012
I don't know how good or bad the story will end up being, but so far I'm having a really good time.
Jan 14, 2017 12:45 PM
Mar 2012
God vs salaryman great discussion, cool directing with time halt & creepy crowd, that low voiced pigeon lol, but he got trolled. Faith vs science.
never say never
Tanya face memes
Maggots! just doing her job...
Real skis, good 1st fight, felt more intense than ep1. loli suicide...not cool man.
Gotcha... Chucky's behind u.
Lol his/her sanity broke, cute.
Cool Mythoid song, but no op/ed yet.
Jan 14, 2017 12:47 PM

Mar 2008
Overall good episode, pacing was nice despite changes from LN. Still i cannot fathom why would they make Tanya older. In translated v1 of LN when she's shown as a baby it's 18th July 1914 and in ep2 she's at least 3-5 yo while it's still 1913 Oo.
Jan 14, 2017 1:24 PM

May 2014
I must confess that i enjoyed this episode more than the first one. The beginning scene, the "chat" with god (which I think it was pretty cool) convinced me to keep watching this show. Can't wait to see the rest.
Jan 14, 2017 1:25 PM

Jul 2010
Really enjoyed this episode. Really interesting back story for Tanya too, I was wondering how she could possibly be a 'genius ace' at her age, now we really know. This might just be the best new series of the season.
Jan 14, 2017 1:31 PM

Oct 2008
Now that Drifters has "ended", im glad we got another show with a sociopath.
Jan 14, 2017 3:34 PM

Oct 2014
Hmm.. I wonder if there's really a way to put this as first episode, instead, like what most of the LN fans wanted...
Tbh the fast pacing feels right to the scenario, but if this episode is put as 1st episode, instead, some people will complain that the pacing is too fast thus it will hit even more on its prospect.
Well... no longer matters.

Episode itself: Tanya is one hell of a character and they do pretty decent job at introducing her bg.
There's one scene where the flying scene is awkward but that's it; The rest are as awesome as the first episode!
Jan 14, 2017 3:40 PM
Jan 2017
Farabeuf said:
For years I've despaired when anime shows have some child behaving like an adult and with talents that exceed those of one.

This story managed to give a me a compelling reason why the loli is and behaves the way she does. Well done. Much more interesting than I expected.
EXACTLY how I feel, quite frankly.

As someone who didn't read the manga/LN (whatever it is) or synopsis, I was a bit let down last week because it seemed to be exactly what you're describing. However,this episode shattered that, and renewed my interest. Happy to watch now!
Jan 14, 2017 3:48 PM

Sep 2016
Now I'm hooked. I'm glad I didn't drop it last episode. Still, maybe it would have been better if this was the first one.

I swear I thought I was watching the wrong anime at first.

Mmh... I wonder if we're supposed to call Tanya a he or a she.

The visuals are still amazing.
Jan 14, 2017 4:04 PM
Jun 2014
nice episode, i was not sure about the anime in the first episode but now i say 8/10
Jan 14, 2017 4:11 PM

Nov 2015
Ok, this episode was better than the previous and now everything makes a whole lot more of sense. Of course, I get that, for this, the previous episode was to be the way it was.

Now Tanya's wicked behaviour makes sense. Ok, I can buy this now.

PD: Oh god.. that post credit scene tho xD
Kamidox said:
Now I'm hooked. I'm glad I didn't drop it last episode. Still, maybe it would have been better if this was the first one.

I swear I thought I was watching the wrong anime at first.

Mmh... I wonder if we're supposed to call Tanya a he or a she.

The visuals are still amazing.

Yeah, good I didn't drop it either.

Yeah, I also thought I was watching some other anime jajaja

Mmm, She. Soul should not be tied to a gender so, it is in a female body so it's she. At least I'll take her as a she.
version15 said:
Farabeuf said:
For years I've despaired when anime shows have some child behaving like an adult and with talents that exceed those of one.

This story managed to give a me a compelling reason why the loli is and behaves the way she does. Well done. Much more interesting than I expected.
EXACTLY how I feel, quite frankly.

As someone who didn't read the manga/LN (whatever it is) or synopsis, I was a bit let down last week because it seemed to be exactly what you're describing. However,this episode shattered that, and renewed my interest. Happy to watch now!
I see I was not the only one xD I just didn't care enough to write it down but I thought the same. In any case, this episode made me want to continue the series with renewed interest.
HumbertoZeroJan 14, 2017 4:15 PM
Jan 14, 2017 4:49 PM

May 2015
I'm glad that we had some info about this guy(?) past. :D

Tanya you are scary men(?).

MAn, last scene. I want to protect that smile. xD
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 14, 2017 5:06 PM

Aug 2016
I liked first episode more, but I guess this is for good of anime and fans. Tanya looks... less like psycho? Or more now, when we know her point of view. Also, after 1st episode I read first chapter of manga, and this is done much better, in manga I was pretty confused whats going on, also scene with God is better this way I guess. And finall two scenes was funny, but I hope we will see some WW1 slaughter again in next episode.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

292 by Luutio »»
Jun 25, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2017

125 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 21, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2017

111 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 15, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

176 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 13, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

187 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 8, 7:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.