Forum Settings
Forums

What to do if S1 is awesome but the S2 is bad?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 13, 2016 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
If I liked the 1st season, I'll watch the 2nd, even if people say it's bad. Sometimes I like it in spite of the bad reviews, other times they were right but now I know why and have valid reason to join in the decrying of S2.
Oct 13, 2016 8:50 AM

May 2015
How would you know it's bad without watching it yourself? Before someone answers "Oh but you can tell by the rating." Show me an anime with a first season rated higher than 8 with a sequel that has a rating below 7... (Even though there most likely is one). Watch both yourself and have your own opinion.
Oct 13, 2016 8:53 AM

May 2013
i'd probably like s2 too because that's what always happens. if it wasnt as good as s1 then oh well right, at least i saw it. if i dont watch s2, it's like i didnt fully complete the series and that bothers me. if s2 sucks and they come out with s3, you bet i'll be watching that too.
Oct 13, 2016 8:54 AM

Dec 2015
I agree with a number of other people who have posted. If you liked the first season, you owe it to yourself to try the 2nd. Just because many fans may dislike it does not mean that YOU will dislike it. Form your own opinion and decide from there. I have watched sequels many fans thought were bad and loved them.
Oct 13, 2016 8:55 AM

Aug 2016
I'd watch the second season if I enjoyed the first anyway. If it is as bad as people say, then at least you can you've seen it and can form your own opinions.
Oct 13, 2016 8:57 AM

Dec 2015
Ussesa said:
i'd probably like s2 too because that's what always happens. if it wasnt as good as s1 then oh well right, at least i saw it. if i dont watch s2, it's like i didnt fully complete the series and that bothers me. if s2 sucks and they come out with s3, you bet i'll be watching that too.
I can definitely see where you are coming from. If I drop a show it bugs the hell out of me.
Oct 13, 2016 8:59 AM

Jul 2013
I watch both seasons. If the second season ends being worse, at least I add another entry to my list, and there is always the posibilita I ended liking the season two despite the popular consensus.
Oct 13, 2016 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
I want to watch the complete anime, even if S2 sucks, it's part of the story.
Oct 13, 2016 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
i didnt watch s2 of chuunibyou even that i liked s1
Oct 13, 2016 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
I rate them as separate entities. Sometimes S2 being shitty is mostly fault of adaptation distillation, or the writers and director not fucking trying to do a decent job- sometimes it's shorted resources, sometimes it's the source material itself distilling overtime into bitter shittiness. I mean, there's multiple factors. The fact of the matter is if my fav gets shorted the score is getting downgraded no matter what, though.
Oct 13, 2016 11:58 AM

Jan 2013
Frostbyte98 said:
Psycho pass s2 was shit, I heard abt how it dropped the balls hard, gave it a try for few ep, dropped it. Do whatever you feel like, depends on you totally.

S2 was better imho.

People just wanted more of the same and couldn't take that the show was even a little different.
Oct 13, 2016 12:13 PM

Mar 2014
dont stop man, u just keep on going to the all ends, and if u didnt like it well u just wasted time in your life
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 13, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2015
oniikai said:
*coffcoff* Ore no imouto *coffcoff*

Mhhh... Lel... I think what you need to include are the OVA/specials especially S2 Special EP's.
Tainted said:
I would just pretend that season 2 didn't really happen.
or just read the manga it might be better.

Enlighten me... What series are you speaking of?
Oct 14, 2016 12:58 AM

May 2015
Different seasons are different anime or else there's no reason to divide them.

So just watch S1.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 14, 2016 3:58 AM
Oct 14, 2016 4:18 AM

Aug 2014
Your question is based on the ending of the first season.
If it gives the show a good closure then yeah i won't watch the second season, but if it was like a cliffhanger then i would watch the 2nd season anyway.
Oct 14, 2016 5:48 AM

Sep 2015
_Ako_ said:
Tainted said:
I would just pretend that season 2 didn't really happen.
or just read the manga it might be better.

There's alot of em mostly because the anime skips some stuffs and squeeze many chapters into a 20 minutes episode.
Oct 14, 2016 6:00 AM
May 2016
I decided on my own if it is really that bad then im just gonna stop watching it
Oct 14, 2016 2:47 PM

Feb 2015
Tainted said:
_Ako_ said:

There's alot of em mostly because the anime skips some stuffs and squeeze many chapters into a 20 minutes episode.

Well I think that not all anime should or at least follow the original adaptation... And, correct me if I'm wrong about that. A series is not "shit" just because it didn't follow the original source, or at least compressed the stuff that is in the original source...

So, just because it skips/didn't follow the original series, it is technically a shit... Reminds me of a certain EP's in SZS that really makes this statement true, and someone just did create a thread about this shit, I forgot the title of the thread though...

In short, just because the anime compressed the original source it is technically shit, is somewhat a narrow minded thinking, it is just that overall of the things, the pattern like that occurs more often, thus we think like that.

Yeah, sorry if what I say doesn't make any sense... PM me if I need to clarify something...
Oct 14, 2016 4:46 PM

Nov 2011
Generally I'd watch both and form my own opinion. I might put off watching the second season if it has a bad rep, though.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Please go argue with the database mods, then. A lot of the "X 2nd Season" and "X S2" anime really don't need to be divided from a story perspective.

The criteria for second seasons here is rather arbitrary (particularly in the latter case I will explain): Every time the name on the BD/DVD boxes changes or there's more than a single cour between aired episodes, the anime gets split into another entry.

I mean, I can see splitting Gundam IBO and its second season apart since there's a timeskip a the circumstances change, but for something like Shokugeki no Souma where it's pretty much watching more episodes of the exact same story and context, it makes less sense to me to view it as "separate".
TripleSRankOct 14, 2016 4:57 PM
Oct 14, 2016 4:48 PM

Sep 2016
I did not watch sao II but I did watch haruhi season 2 even tho that wasn't as good as the first one
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2016 1:50 PM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
Generally I'd watch both and form my own opinion. I might put off watching the second season if it has a bad rep, though.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Please go argue with the database mods, then. A lot of the "X 2nd Season" and "X S2" anime really don't need to be divided from a story perspective.

The criteria for second seasons here is rather arbitrary (particularly in the latter case I will explain): Every time the name on the BD/DVD boxes changes or there's more than a single cour between aired episodes, the anime gets split into another entry.

I mean, I can see splitting Gundam IBO and its second season apart since there's a timeskip a the circumstances change, but for something like Shokugeki no Souma where it's pretty much watching more episodes of the exact same story and context, it makes less sense to me to view it as "separate".

Let's take Freezing, Code Geass, SAO, and Date A Live as examples. Each of these's second seasons is recognized as a separate series and has a separate title. It's listed in the same in AniDB. So far, it seems the creators divided it and the databases follow their orders.

Any examples of where seasons are split but it's actually wrong to do so?
Oct 15, 2016 2:17 PM

Jul 2014
but is there even anything u can do??....s2 is made and its bad....nothing can do to make it better -- its already made :/
Oct 16, 2016 2:07 AM

May 2015
if you dont think youre gonna like it, just dont watch it; it's not that hard..
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 16, 2016 2:11 AM

Aug 2014
jus watch the first couple of episodes if you're interested, if it seems bad drop it if not yay
Oct 16, 2016 2:13 AM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

Let's take Freezing, Code Geass, SAO, and Date A Live as examples. Each of these's second seasons is recognized as a separate series and has a separate title. It's listed in the same in AniDB. So far, it seems the creators divided it and the databases follow their orders.

Creators putting a new subtext or flavor text (e.g. Anime Name: Flavor Text) does not necessarily warrant a new database entry imo. If this is what you mean by "following the creator's orders", then I'd disagree, particularly in the case of adaptations since the "division" is often created by the producers rather than due to adapting a sequel source material.

For specific examples, after skimming through my list...

Definites: Honey & Clover (iirc), Spice & Wolf, Shokugeki no Souma, My Hero Academia, Little Busters!, One Punch Man

Potentials (i.e. if they get a sequel/resume airing, meaning MAL will split): Space Brothers, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Akatsuki no Yona, Re:Zero, Mob Psycho 100, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Hyouka, White Album 2, Amagi Brilliant Park, Heavy Object

Other potentials (i.e. those I know of that appear to be the case, but I can't confirm): Kimi ni Todoke (exquisite way to open end the first season, though), Bungou Stray Dogs, Saekano, some sports series divisions (e.g. Haikyuu!)

Edit: Typos
TripleSRankOct 16, 2016 9:33 AM
Oct 16, 2016 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
oniikai said:

NOOOOOOOOOO. Actually Season 2 was better except for the last 3 episodes. I thought it was a joke until it happened.
Oct 16, 2016 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
If I were you, I would definitely watch both seasons. The first season might be good, while the second might not be as good--or might even be better.

It depends on how you feel about it. Everyone has different critics. :)
守るべきもののために、負けられない! 僕 は 負けない...
Oct 16, 2016 2:20 AM

Oct 2016
I will watch the first season and then try the secound if the secound season is really bad i just dont see it, but if its not extremly bad i can give it a try of 3 episodes
Oct 16, 2016 2:21 AM

Jul 2013
martiooo said:
oniikai said:

NOOOOOOOOOO. Actually Season 2 was better except for the last 3 episodes. I thought it was a joke until it happened.
I think the same. In fact, I found the second season of Oreimo more enjoyable than the first (maybe for the focus on the relationship of Kyousuke and Kuroneko rather than having always Kirino on screen).
Oct 16, 2016 2:24 AM

May 2015
I'd still watch S2 so I could devise my own opinion of the show.
Oct 16, 2016 7:55 AM

May 2016
oniikai said:

I don't know man, that fight with Manami (glasses girl) was pretty worth it xD
Oct 16, 2016 8:18 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Creators putting a new subtext or flavor text (e.g. Anime Name: Flavor Text) does not necessarily warrant a new database entry imo. If this is what you mean by "following the creator's orders", the I'd disagree, particularly in the case of adaptations since the "division" is often created by the producers rather than due to adapting a sequel source material.

For specific examplea, after skimming through my list...

Definites: Honey & Clover (iirc), Spice & Wolf, Shokugeki no Souma, My Hero Academia, Little Busters!, One Punch Man

Potentials (i.e. if they get a sequel/resume airing, meaning MAL will split): Space Brothers, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Akatsuki no Yona, Re:Zero, Mob Psycho 100, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Hyouka, White Album 2, Amagi Brilliant Park, Heavy Object

Other potentials (i.e. those I know of that appear to be the case, but I can't confirm): Kimi ni Todoke (exquisite way to open end the first season, though), Bungou Stray Dogs, Saekano, some sports series divisions (e.g. Haikyuu!)

I don't get it. What is the criteria for separating seasons in the database? The creators decide whether releases are separate or not. Reznor decided to release both sides of The Fragile as one album. On the other hand, SOAD decided to release Mezmerize/Hypnotize as separate albums while considering them two sides of the same piece.

I don't see how anyone else is the authority besides the author. They choose when chapters and book ends.
Oct 16, 2016 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

Creators putting a new subtext or flavor text (e.g. Anime Name: Flavor Text) does not necessarily warrant a new database entry imo. If this is what you mean by "following the creator's orders", then I'd disagree, particularly in the case of adaptations since the "division" is often created by the producers rather than due to adapting a sequel source material.

For specific examples, after skimming through my list...

I don't get it. What is the criteria for separating seasons in the database? The creators decide whether releases are separate or not. Reznor decided to release both sides of The Fragile as one album. On the other hand, SOAD decided to release Mezmerize/Hypnotize as separate albums while considering them two sides of the same piece.

I don't see how anyone else is the authority besides the author. They choose when chapters and book ends.

But the author doesn't have full control over an adaptation of their work because they don't control the money. Their publisher and other interested parties do. What you're saying only applies to manga and original anime. With adaptations, sure, the author generally does have a say in changes made to the source material, but it's not as if they can demand that the production committee adapt a certain amount of the source material, or when to change BDbox flavor text, etc.. The splitting or non-splitting of anime entries on Western databases is due to the policies of the databases-- it has nothing to do with what how the author wants their work viewed.

That's not to say MAL's policies for creating and organizing the database are particularly bad. It's just not an absolute indicator of how self-contained entries are. Some separated sequels are indeed more or less self-contained, but not all are.
Oct 16, 2016 9:32 AM

Jan 2016
dont watch anime...
read the manga instead..thats what i am doing for fairy tail
Oct 17, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

But the author doesn't have full control over an adaptation of their work because they don't control the money. Their publisher and other interested parties do. What you're saying only applies to manga and original anime. With adaptations, sure, the author generally does have a say in changes made to the source material, but it's not as if they can demand that the production committee adapt a certain amount of the source material, or when to change BDbox flavor text, etc.. The splitting or non-splitting of anime entries on Western databases is due to the policies of the databases-- it has nothing to do with what how the author wants their work viewed.

That's not to say MAL's policies for creating and organizing the database are particularly bad. It's just not an absolute indicator of how self-contained entries are. Some separated sequels are indeed more or less self-contained, but not all are.

You're stuck in 'adaptation and source material till death do them part'. They're separate, related works.

The production committee decides to adapat Franchise X, and splits it to two seasons. One season is called Franchise X. The other is called Franchise X Reborn. They decide to publish it like this. Should we argue otherwise?
Oct 17, 2016 7:11 AM

Jun 2015
[quote=joe_g7 message=48130846]Watch it and decide on your own, just because the majority says it ain't good doesn't mean that you'll 100% dislike it. Give it a try and decide on ur own

and if they have their own pages, you can rate them accordingly eg s1 = 10 s2 = 1
Oct 20, 2016 1:47 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

You're stuck in 'adaptation and source material till death do them part'. They're separate, related works.

The production committee decides to adapat Franchise X, and splits it to two seasons. One season is called Franchise X. The other is called Franchise X Reborn. They decide to publish it like this. Should we argue otherwise?

I'm not. For all intents and purposes related to evaluation, I consider the adaptation and the source to be distinct. However, I don't think it makes sense to carry the separation much further beyond that, especially when combined with knowledge of how the anime industry works. Continuous works often need to be split apart-- even inconveniently-- for financial reasons. The producer, the marketing, and indeed the production committee are not who I believe we should be looking to in terms of authorship and, creatively speaking, "ownership" of the story even though they are responsible for the decisions concerning how the story is released. Rather, it is the original creator, the director(s), the series compositionists, and the storyboarders.

To say that every anime should be taken completely standalone "as it is released" seems more like a lazy shortcut in evaluation rather than a genuine attempt at fairness, to me.
Oct 20, 2016 7:35 PM

May 2015
I would still watch both seasons, but be really divided in my praise and criticism for the show in general.
Oct 20, 2016 7:38 PM

May 2015
Watch both how else will you know the 2nd season is crap If you don't watch it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2016 7:38 PM

Jan 2012
I would either just watch both or neither.
Oct 20, 2016 7:42 PM

Aug 2015
I still watch the 2nd season. I want to form my own opinion on it.
Oct 20, 2016 7:50 PM
Jul 2012
Don't watch it if you don't feel like it, simple. The tricky part is when the second season is said to be the good one... Freaking clannad as which really wasnt that much better than the horrible first season
Oct 20, 2016 7:52 PM
Apr 2016
I guess it depends on how bad S2 is supposed to be. But in the case of Psycho Pass I just pretend there is no S2 since I've heard nothing good about it.
Oct 21, 2016 7:29 AM

Aug 2016
It's easy, just drop it or try to read its manga

~ Life sucks ~
Oct 21, 2016 7:46 AM
Aug 2016
Watch both and come up with your own opinion.
Oct 21, 2016 8:35 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm not. For all intents and purposes related to evaluation, I consider the adaptation and the source to be distinct. However, I don't think it makes sense to carry the separation much further beyond that, especially when combined with knowledge of how the anime industry works. Continuous works often need to be split apart-- even inconveniently-- for financial reasons. The producer, the marketing, and indeed the production committee are not who I believe we should be looking to in terms of authorship and, creatively speaking, "ownership" of the story even though they are responsible for the decisions concerning how the story is released. Rather, it is the original creator, the director(s), the series compositionists, and the storyboarders.

To say that every anime should be taken completely standalone "as it is released" seems more like a lazy shortcut in evaluation rather than a genuine attempt at fairness, to me.

Then do tell, what criteria should we use? Should Geass and R2 be separated and why? Should Redial be considered a separate work or not and why?
Oct 21, 2016 9:09 AM
Apr 2015
Robiiii said:
Lemme explain
If season 1 is highly praised by fans and season 2 just isnt good at all (according to fans) what to do?

Try to explain if you decide to do so

Ignore the "fans" because they're probably only into deep, and mature anime so they don't like it if it doesn't have enough edge.
Oct 21, 2016 5:00 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
TripleSRank said:

Then do tell, what criteria should we use? Should Geass and R2 be separated and why? Should Redial be considered a separate work or not and why?

I can't say for the examples you mentioned because I haven't seen both of either.

Regarding criteria, when referencing the source's format (i.e. whether additional seasons are part of the same original work or part of a sequel to the original work) isn't sufficient due to the nature of the work, there are a few ways you could look at it in terms of whether separation is warranted, I think. Works that aren't completely continuous (i.e. contain a timeskip at the beginning of the new season) are an easy out since the passage of time within the story usually changes aspects of the narrative present in the preceding release. Similarly, works that are told in "sagas" are easy to separate because each season/saga deals with a different overarching plotline, particularly when the grander overarching narrative that connects the sagas is loose.

Of course, this is pertaining to works that have an ongoing narrative in the first place. How a heavily episodic work is cut up isn't much of an issue in my opinion, barring heavy tonal changes that take place over time.
Oct 22, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I can't say for the examples you mentioned because I haven't seen both of either.

Regarding criteria, when referencing the source's format (i.e. whether additional seasons are part of the same original work or part of a sequel to the original work) isn't sufficient due to the nature of the work, there are a few ways you could look at it in terms of whether separation is warranted, I think. Works that aren't completely continuous (i.e. contain a timeskip at the beginning of the new season) are an easy out since the passage of time within the story usually changes aspects of the narrative present in the preceding release. Similarly, works that are told in "sagas" are easy to separate because each season/saga deals with a different overarching plotline, particularly when the grander overarching narrative that connects the sagas is loose.

Of course, this is pertaining to works that have an ongoing narrative in the first place. How a heavily episodic work is cut up isn't much of an issue in my opinion, barring heavy tonal changes that take place over time.

That's more understandable.

Can you show me an anime whose seasons are split, but shouldn't be this way?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general?

RobertBobert - Sep 20

39 by DGottem »»
3 minutes ago

» Which upcoming anime are you most excited about and why?

KyanBun - Sep 19

41 by ProGoddess »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you find modern disclaimers to be annoying?

Dragevard - Sep 20

29 by DigiCat »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Sep 19

63 by ProGoddess »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime has best memes

nishant0 - Yesterday

21 by Archfiend836 »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.