Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »
May 20, 2017 1:55 AM

Aug 2007
The rocket chair with the music made me laugh.
Other than that I actually found this episode slow and boring?
It looks like it'll pick up with the new Student Council President, tho.

Aug 16, 2017 3:45 AM

Mar 2015
the goddamn rocket chair man....

Also wow, Tachibana Kanade is so cute. I feel bad for her when she was fired like that and got her reputation destroyed. Being fired is after all worse than resigning.

Aug 18, 2017 10:41 AM

Jul 2017
LOOOOOL the replays were gold
Sep 10, 2017 12:49 PM
Mar 2016
the comedy is so forced. the test scene was cringey. this show better get better soon or ill drop it.
Sep 28, 2017 6:42 PM

Sep 2013
I wonder how long some of these kids have been dead...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 23, 2017 4:07 PM

Feb 2012

Is otonashi developing feelings for angel?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 8, 2017 2:31 PM
Oct 2017
Haven't laughed like that watching anime before hahaha

and have very rarely felt like that towards the end of the episode, too.. i think im gonna really like this
Jan 13, 2018 7:24 AM
Sep 2017
this episode has gotten me really interested in this series hope this goes well
the comedy in this one was epic and really looking forward for otonashi to befriend her
Feb 12, 2018 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
The "humor" is so cringy, ugh.
Feb 18, 2018 9:42 PM
Dec 2017
Kanade in pain! and Yuzuru care for her.... in the end new school president doing some dirty work
Mar 22, 2018 1:46 PM

Mar 2016
The comedy in the first half of the episode was all brilliant! I especially love how they try to distract everyone, only to be launched into the ceiling.

For the second half of the episode, the tone drastically but smoothly changes into a more emotional one. Tachibana lost her position as the president and her reputation has begun to fall. The moment when even her food ticket was blown away, you could see her most emotional face so far... Otonashi seems to have a different view on Tenshi (angel), he's the only one to call Tenshi by her real name(Tachibana) after all. I think Yuri also has begun to think that Tachibana is not the main enemy too...

I still question the fact that how can even the NPC not be worried of the SSS who are armed with guns and other kinds of weapons? Also, how did Tachibana not hold any resentment or reaction when talking to Otonashi. She killed him once and he shot her once too!

ShadowkillZMar 22, 2018 3:10 PM
Apr 14, 2018 4:58 PM

Jun 2017
This episode was certainly interesting... Looking from the preview, removing the angel from the student council president position was a bad move. Maybe the position is special in some way or at least it holds quite a bit of power in the purgatory. Now that the NPC got it I think it got worse.
Aug 10, 2018 4:21 AM

Aug 2014
that was probably best episode so far
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Oct 15, 2018 6:06 PM
Sep 2017
That testing scene with the rocket chairs & the “date” request plus pec reveal made me laugh harder than I have in quite a while in an anime! Too funny! Then the whole concert scene & meal ticket became quite touching / emotional. Best ep of the series so far, hands down.
Jan 3, 2019 8:37 PM

Jun 2015
the replays cracked me up so much, mainly because of the song that played each time they got blasted off.
Jan 31, 2019 1:58 PM
Apr 2016
Eh, unfortunately I don't like this anime at all, I expected it to be more serious, but at the end it's just endless messing around... Well, Kanade is a nice girl, yet they're taking her as some Devil, at least they know her a little better now.
Sep 4, 2019 12:37 PM

Oct 2013
Funny episode. ;) Poor Tenshi, though. :(

Her successor, as seen in preview, seems to act in even more radical way than her.
Feb 8, 2020 5:33 PM

Feb 2019
I really like how they make Angel seem human. She seems super depressed.

However, this episode was basically useless. How does getting her fired from the student council help them kill her?
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Feb 13, 2020 5:22 PM
Jan 2020
such an interesting episode!! glad we got to see some characterization on tenshi and it honestly made me feel kind of bad for her
Mar 27, 2020 9:45 PM

Jan 2014
The humor was amazing lmao the rocket chair gag

Interesting development with angel is making me enjoy the show more... however still confused about many of the logistics. Why does she act as if she doesn’t recognize them? Why do they say she is human when she has unnatural powers? Is the new guy NPC or another “Angel”??
Mar 30, 2020 1:22 AM

Sep 2018
lol this is so weird but VERY funny lol

I feel bad for Kanade! She seriously taking the exam .. what's the song title in "replay" scene?
Wahhhh!!! I feel so bad for her :( Tenshi doesn't even looks like a villain :(
Apr 27, 2020 12:34 PM
Sep 2018
This episode was kind funny, and I'm a little bit sad for Kanade :(
Jun 14, 2020 3:38 PM

May 2015
They're all honestly just a bunch of jerks. But I guess we all know that. Other than Otanashi of course. Saint and best boy.

Seeing Kanade sad like that breaks my heart and is painful to watch. Cant wait for when best boy calls out to her.

But here comes karma! HA!! This is what you get for fucking with our angel Kanade!
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 17, 2020 5:02 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I really had a lot of laughs this episode ahahaha
But the "angel" ... I kinda feel'd bad for her in the end :/
The question is, will she not try to do any further things does she have a plan what will happen?

Nov 1, 2020 11:13 PM

Jan 2017
Aww... Kanade just wanna eat her comfort food... why you gotta be like that man Yuri...

welp, seems like their plan backfired with the new StuCo president being the gungho type (that means Kanade's just letting them off the hook most of the time before this eh, how nice of her)
Dec 8, 2020 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
This episode were really cringe tbh
Jan 1, 2021 2:54 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Sill waiting for it to click, other than a supernatural adventure in what looks like the highschool version of limbo, what is else is there to it.
I appreciate the replay compilations.
Jan 15, 2021 5:16 PM

Aug 2017
Finally we know Tenshi real name, I think Otonashi will try to befriend her.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 16, 2021 3:48 PM
Mar 2020
I really like this episode, we got a little glimpse of Tenshi's personality, and she doesn't seem like a bad person.
And Otonashi is such a sweetheart, I'm starting to like him a lot
Mar 18, 2021 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
At last Otonashi begins asking the question of what's the point to all of this. You'd think he would have done so much earlier but whatever, I've come to accept it at this point.

That skit in the classroom was hilarious. Yurippe is a bitch and I kind of like her for it. It's interesting that she remembered Kanade's name briefly. This either means she knew her from back when she was alive or from whatever happened to cause her to be the first one to start rebelling.

That montage of Kanade had a real sinking feeling to it. As said even the smallest of happiness was taken from her. Normally I'd ask why hadn't they done this a long time ago, particularly inquire her name but whatever. Clearly the show's going somwhwere with this, so I'll be patient.

Best episode so far. I love the small details in both the opening and ending sequences. I only just now noticed Kanade has Angel Wings at the end of the opening, talk about slow.
DamnThatsTheSpotMar 18, 2021 10:41 AM
Apr 25, 2021 3:44 PM
Oct 2019
I really laughed out loud while watching this episode.
Might not be the best show ever, but it has "something" forcing me to just keep watching it.
May 22, 2021 1:27 AM

Oct 2019
Yo, I am on my first rewatch of the show but this time in dub. Honestly, for comedy, EP 5 really made me laugh and smile. I thought rocket chairs wouldn't faze me but they made me smile. And the dub dialog with Takamatsu-"What if I take my pants off". What the fuck man. I mean, you do you but jeez.
At this point in the series, Angels name is revealed and she is fired from her spot. Now without her spot she is sullen and without her meal ticket, she is hunger.
I did feel a twang in my heart when Osanashi imagined her being by herself eating her spicy food. But then, I thought to myself, "How long has she been around since they been doing these concerts" Ya think she might have at least been able to be there with the fans and know to hold on or hide her meal ticket.
But, changing topic, the end man. The VP becoming the new SP to crack down on these chumps. Don't remember much what happens after so I can't wait.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jun 10, 2021 5:21 PM
Jun 2021
This anime was incredibly boring for me until Naoi was introduced. He made the anime actually interesting and incredibly funny.
Jun 16, 2021 5:48 PM

Jul 2019
>Angel studying
>Angel's rampage is about to begin
Well damn. What a start.

Ok so messing up Angel's test, why they have to bully her :(, for the dub, I actually quite like the dialogue here lol. I should watch more dub tbh. Anyways, it is a shocker that no one in the SSS knows her name (but in ep 3 they legit hacked her PC??? makes sense???), everyone do be an aho tho. That physics question can piss off btw, I like physics but I have no good memory of learning it in school. It's annoying me that there is no shadow here. And we learn Angel's name is Kanade Tachibana! Beautiful name indeed.

Ok nice rocket scene lmao, aho Hinata can't do anything by himself smh, surprised Kanade didn't do anything about it.

So next test, and other diversion need, also I am counting 7 times Takeyama has asked to be called Christ, including 2 times interrupted lol. Kanade tries to intervene the argument but doesn't work out, gg Otonashi. Takamatsu tries to show off his abs, fails, sent flying. With the third diversion, basically repeats formula only Ooyama has to ask out Kanade. I will be honest, this wasn't really funny with the Kanade intervene part 2. A lil cringe and I don't really like to use that word lol. Hinata files sky high for a 2nd time too.

Ok second half, Kanade so smol. They are so damn mean to Kanade, could lowkey cry :( . Don't understand how the teachers are not able to realise it wasn't her, even with that bs logic they said, it just doesn't add up and the same people were in her classes.

Operation Tornado, this time with a fallen angel lol. All she wanted was that Mapo Tofu. Sometimes I can't take the SSS seriously when Kanade does literally anything lol. Also nice singing from GirlDeMo, LiSA ftw.

Ending off with the taste test of the infamous Map Tofu, it kills but actually tastes good, I really need to try an irl version of that lol. But yeah, do be kinda sad how the SSS taking away Kanade's happiness. That's also why I can't take these dudes seriously with their unbelievably insane conspiracies. Sad af :(

Also, I am being to see where AB flops with the story lol. There is very little character development here so far, and it becomes clear to see the "half comedy, half drama" in the series lol. It is more like half sol half drama tho. But y'know. I generally didn't even know that formula was even a thing until people started shouting about it lol. Anyways fine ep.
Jul 25, 2021 1:32 AM

Apr 2021
At first I was like well angel(her name's Tachibana Kanade) is gonna be defeated...then I felt sad when I saw Otonashi's POV about angel...its only been 5 episodes and this show has exceeded my expectations
Sep 7, 2021 8:01 PM

Jul 2016
Yuri sure went full bitch mode this episode, huh?
Nov 6, 2021 4:42 PM
Dec 2017
LOL imagine seeing a rocket go off while inthe middle of class.

Dec 9, 2021 1:04 PM

Aug 2008
I find it ridiculous that the anime through Otonashi wants us to maybe feel sorry for Angel. I guess being a small cute high school girl trumps all. Comedy fails again, worked better when I was younger but now just felt stupid. Not as bad as previous episode, at least this one moved the plot along.

To think it might be so easy to stop the "rebel" students by simply having the normals stop them instead of relying on Angel. Of course the whole scenario is so absurd in the first place nothing really makes sense unless you use video game/NPC logic anyway.
Jan 13, 2022 7:53 AM

Jul 2021
Oh man that melancholic face of Tachibana, I feel sad just looking at it. They sure suceeded in making us feel bad for Tachibana, I was on the verge of tears at the end there. Someone give Tachibana a hug :/ The explanation of why Tenshi acted like she did earlier hurted man, she's just a human too and was just fulfilling her duty as student council president. I don't like the new president one bit.

This episode was tons better than the last episode in all aspects. Enjoyed a lot. Had many funny and some emotional moments. Best episode till now IMO.

I felt like a lot happened in this episode but still didn't really feel rushed.

5/5. Excited for next episode.
TsutanaiFuunJan 13, 2022 8:02 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 13, 2022 7:58 AM

May 2016
Man this episode truly showed that Kanade is human just as Yurippe feared.

Definitely best episode so far.
Feb 23, 2022 4:04 AM

Oct 2021
Funny as well as Sad Episode. Lmao Slowmo rocket chair scene with bgm made me laugh and poor hinata had to suffer two times.
We came to know that Tachibana is a human like them and she isn't the enemy but damn they played her really dirty.

May 17, 2022 1:08 PM

Mar 2021
The comedy of Angel Beats! cannot be put to question by anyone. That jet engine scene was hilarious!

Damn, now I'm starting to feel for Angel a little bit.
MeanMrMusicianMay 17, 2022 1:18 PM
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jul 1, 2022 3:18 PM
May 2021
Really good episode with a cliffhanger ending . Really like this show so far
Aug 15, 2022 11:10 AM
Aug 2022
I could not stop laughing "lol"
Sep 26, 2022 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
this episode is great and I really like Tachibana
Nov 7, 2022 7:23 PM

Jul 2022
I laughed every time they flew out and the song played hahahahaha
Mar 4, 2023 10:45 PM
Feb 2021
Great episode, the first one that really hit for me at all times. I was feeling bad for Tenshi the entire time, and doubly so now that the new keicho is a dick.
Mar 22, 2023 6:48 AM

Dec 2022
Is Angel Beats an analogue for bullying? So far it doesn't seem like Kanade (Angel) has done a single thing wrong, yet the SSS go as far as to tamper with her tests to give her a fake grade, ruin her reputation, get her ousted from her student council role, and isolate her even more. Then they're waiting to gun her down outside again, for added insult. Her interactions with Otonashi were kind and cordial too, which only furthers my thought that she'd be willing to talk with them if they gave her the opportunity. At the end of the episode here, they make it out like they should "give her a chance" to join their group, like she's the guilty party in this scenario. Naoi coming in at the end to arrest them for "various offences" was probably the first reasonable action I've seen in this anime so far.

Maybe all the focus on Kanade is a red herring, and Yuri is the real main antagonist? Kanade hasn't done anything so far except walk around and lead a baseball team. She supposedly wants to maintain the school rules off-screen, but that's more than acceptable. On the other hand, Yuri seems to have personal investment in destroying the idea of the afterlife and god due to her past, and I bet she'd be willing to do anything to achieve that. Rage against the heavens and all that.

Really good episode. I found the humour kind of annoying for the first time, but the story is beginning to pick up and Otonashi is finally starting to catch onto things, even if it's at a glacially slow pace. It would be great if the details of what sort of deific afterlife environment they're in are exposed too, because it feels like it would lead to quality character development.
Archean-ReturnMar 22, 2023 7:26 AM

Shaded Horizon

Apr 4, 2023 8:38 AM

Nov 2021
ngl Hinata's first flight caught me off guard & those "replays" were icing on the cake xD
also, I kinda feel bad for Tenshi >_<
Apr 25, 2023 10:57 AM

Jul 2022
Tachibana Kanada seems like a nice person after all, I don't think she's actually an angel, she even admits that in the very first episode, there might be some kind of history between Yuri and Kanade left unfold..
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1764 by AquaPxki »»
Sep 22, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 16, 2010

481 by Akita_Han »»
Sep 8, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by TlordGaming »»
Sep 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 9, 2010

484 by AnimatedAddict »»
Aug 22, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by AnimatedAddict »»
Aug 22, 12:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.