Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 21, 2016 5:35 PM

Oct 2011
Omg second season please 😭😭
Jun 21, 2016 7:28 PM

Jun 2015
Animefreak_96 said:
I liked this series a lot....

I couldn't care less about a complete story.....

Each episode was epic and involved a untangling a complex set of threads of backstabbing and conspiracy that too in layers!!! The animation quality was also quite decent. The anime is quite enjoyable for a mystery freak....

I enjoyed each and every episode....there is not much anime of this genre available and it's not for some idiots who only search for a complete story for the entire series....

Hope for a 2nd season :D

9/10

Lol couldn't agree more. Well, Odagiri's seiyuu already give his impression (or "warning") about this work that
"I read some of the original work for the audition, and I found it to have a very profound atmosphere, so it didn’t give me an impression that this was a going to become a full-scale anime".

source: http://sekinosemimaru.tumblr.com/post/145356906363/joker-game-cast-comment-hosoya-yoshimasa

wish for 2nd season too
Jun 21, 2016 7:29 PM

Sep 2014
Could've been much better if we had more episodes and an actual plot.
Jun 21, 2016 7:43 PM

Jun 2013
Good anime. With a ecchis and shonens infestation, I miss more seinens such this.
Jun 21, 2016 7:57 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty anti-climactic final episode, but then again, almost all the episodes have been anti-climactic. The premise and setting were really interesting, but I think having such disconnected episodes really made this anime fall flat. Probably a 5 or 6/10 from me.
Jun 21, 2016 7:59 PM

Aug 2013
I liked it but I don't know why, I had hard time to recognize all characters. Kept mixing them :/
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Jun 21, 2016 8:51 PM

Sep 2013
Tough time for Yuuki, one of his men quit and Miyoshi died after this :'(
I think Yuuki purposely put his spy in that situation as a test to see if he truly was free from any connection and he wasn't, but he still managed to find what went wrong so Yuuki still offered him to stay, but he declined.

8/10

Jun 21, 2016 9:05 PM
May 2016
Great last episode, though this anime a bit dissapointed that this is an episodic. Nonetheless, decent show with decent characters. Hoping if there's gonna be a sequel, make it with a main plot.
Jun 21, 2016 9:22 PM

Mar 2013
Meh.

I really can't forgive this show for the unrealistic aspects in it even though it's generally fairly grounded and there isn't much to complain about in that regard.

Not because I'm super nitpicky or anything like that

But because even with the liberties they take, which are standard and to be expected of any work of fiction, they were not able to craft a story that was more interesting and exciting than what actual spies were doing during the war.

What a waste.

The lack of any sort of overarching narrative also does not do it any favors considering the time period it's set in. The kind of stories they're trying to tell would really benefit from having buildup... is what I'd like to say, except that they never really made too much use of what little buildup they did have.

It just blows my mind how they made a spy thriller so bland.
Jun 21, 2016 9:46 PM

May 2015
I suppose the ending wasn’t bad. I was hoping for more for the series as a whole though.

Anyhow, a slightly above-average series that didn’t leave any kind of impression on me. I came to this series enthusiastic, but by the end of it, I was indifferent to anything the series brought/offered.

6/10

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jun 21, 2016 11:43 PM
Aug 2011
zero-r said:
didn’t leave any kind of impression on me. I came to this series enthusiastic, but by the end of it, I was indifferent to anything the series brought/offered.

Exact same sentiment here, which somehow feels worse than when I actually dislike something.

Not sure if this is even worthy of an average rating.
Jun 22, 2016 12:02 AM

Sep 2009
Bit of an open-ended conclusion but seems like they went for the full circle ending. It ended with the first thing Yuuki taught in episode 1.

I agree that episode 11 should be been the ending. Miyoshi's death had impact and evoked more feelings fitting for a conclusion. Anyway, I enjoyed this series. Wouldn't mind a second season if there is one.

Was thinking to give it an 8/10 after episode 11 but I reckon 7/10 is more accurate now.
Jun 22, 2016 1:14 AM
Sep 2014
Annick said:
I liked it but I don't know why, I had hard time to recognize all characters. Kept mixing them :/

That's the gimmick. They're all spies that are supposed to be able to blend in seamlessly, so they're not about to just let you have an easy time determining who is who outside of Yuuki.
Jun 22, 2016 1:17 AM

Jun 2013
god dammit i hate stupid superiors and they communicate using flowers that's cool and he wanted to be a triple agent? damn man your grred was your downfall and this didn't really feel like a finale to me it should have been longer
Jun 22, 2016 1:52 AM

Feb 2016
What???????????????
Jun 22, 2016 2:19 AM

Jun 2016
JGChaves said:
Sirev_Giio said:

Miyoshi being alive though. That either means he faked his death, or this is not told in chronological order.

The entire series was told in anachronic order. The show's website has a timeline to help us:

1939 - Episodes 1 and 2; 12; 6; 5;

1940 - Episodes 7; 10; 3; 8 and 9; 11

1941 - Episode 4

Thanks a lot ! Though it killed my hopes of Miyoshi still being alive T.T

And I thought it was very sweet of Yuuki's last present for Odagiri...a chance to get together with the girl in Manchuria XD Oh romantic badass Yuuki
Jun 22, 2016 3:47 AM

Jan 2015
To be honest....this series felt way too short (12ep!?)...but sure, I can't lie to myself - I enjoyed this series - 7/10.... ova would be great, if not...2nd season please :)
Jun 22, 2016 4:34 AM

Feb 2014
A pretty good episode I would say, although it doesn't have the 'final episode' feel to it at all.

Yuuki's smirk at the end with the words "Who bows while wearing a business suit?" was pretty cool. ^_^

Overall, the whole show kinda suffered from the whole episodic feel and it was annoyingly difficult to tell what spy it was focusing on each week. Still, the production and animation put into the show remains it's strongest point, as expected of Production I.G, along with the splendid soundtrack.

7/10 is my final score.
Jun 22, 2016 4:59 AM

Jun 2013
I loved it. Of course it wasn't perfect, it had its flaws and I rather it be episodic and continuous with a solid, flowing plot rather than focusing on different missions but I enjoyed every single episode. This has to be my favorite Anime series for Spring 2016. I hope they come out with another Joker Game series but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

It was nice to see Miyoshi again but nope, still deader than a fucking doornail.

My score is 8/10. I believe this is one of the most underrated series for this season.
臭い-
Jun 22, 2016 7:49 AM
Jan 2014
I really feel like this show would've been a lot better if we got to know the characters a bit better at the start because from start till end I only know Yuuki...
Jun 22, 2016 7:53 AM

Mar 2014
>Womyns are too feelsy-eelsy so they can't become spies lol

Quite an ironic statement, considering that one of the world's most famous female spies, Yoshiko Kawashima was... spoilers... Japanese

Ot: Meh

5/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 22, 2016 8:36 AM

Dec 2015
Nice but a bit boring series...
Jun 22, 2016 11:45 AM

Jan 2015
Refreshing, charming series with dark undertones. Gonna miss my weekly dose of D. Agency!

Odagiri cinnamon roll too pure for this world.

Anyone knows if this cour adapted only the first novel? If so, I wish we could get another season for the next book, but I doubt it anyway :/

It was decently wrapped up, with the line the Boss also said to Sakuma in the first episode. Also, unless they made an anime-only ending (which presumably would not be a good thing), the series don't have a proper ending right now since the spies will still be working on other cases, so I don't understand why some are saying "doesn't feel like a final episode".

8/10 for keeping me entertained :)
Jun 22, 2016 12:16 PM

Feb 2015
There was so much promise but something was lacking. Ahh well 7/10.
Jun 22, 2016 1:38 PM

Dec 2015
I'd love to see more ... maybe less episodical or longer arcs. Yuuki is one of the best main chars I have seen in the last few seasons/years. Might need to update my favorite char list a bit do include him.

Despite only having a little bit screen time I like him. Liked the end of this episode when he said "don't die" and the remark regarding bowing in a business suit. Also his face and facial expressions.

This is really manly. Would have loved to see more with him and a enemy relationship to some of the enemy spy masters. (Episode 11 with the German guy was nice here. Would have been interesting if they both had met somewhere and talked a bit.)

Giving it an 8/10. There were episodes that were only 7. And since a lot of episodes were only with 1 of the spies I'm more leaning towars 7.5 but the last episodes and the calmer episodes (on train and ship) were good enough to round up to 8 instead of down to 7.

With more smaller arcs (3-4 arcs each 3-4 episodes) I would have liked it a lot better I think.
Jun 22, 2016 1:39 PM

Aug 2009
Didn't really feel like a finale to me, to be honest. Still a decent episode. Hopefully the BD episodes wrap things up properly.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 22, 2016 2:05 PM

Oct 2014
I enjoyed the show but it would've really benefitted from a good overreaching story. 7/10, will probably rewatch chronologically when the OVAs are out.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jun 22, 2016 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
Telvin123 said:
Annick said:

That's the gimmick. They're all spies that are supposed to be able to blend in seamlessly, so they're not about to just let you have an easy time determining who is who outside of Yuuki.

Yes it's what I thought, I re-watched the whole thing last night and paid more attention to details.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Jun 22, 2016 2:59 PM

Feb 2008
An intriguing episode, I didn't even consider the possibility of it being the final one, not until the last few minutes. Alas, Yuuki's comment regarding the etiquette while wearing a business suit made me realise the inescapable fact. Nevertheless, it did serve as a fine finale for Joker Game, a slightly warmer episode than the ones before it.

I hope this isn't the last time we see Yuuki.
Jun 22, 2016 3:31 PM
Nov 2010
I like how this was done, starting from the concept itself. It was pretty interesting to me and the production was also quite good.
Jun 22, 2016 5:50 PM

Dec 2012
Oh Miyoshi lives well all is good now.
Jun 22, 2016 6:15 PM

Dec 2015
This finale was quite strange... This anime was really hard to understand... Maybe I should watch once again
Jun 22, 2016 6:49 PM
Nov 2012
I think I wanted the show to be a little different than it was. Worth watching but probably will not re-watch.

Gah I think I need an overarching story or a little more depth to satisfy me.
Jun 22, 2016 10:25 PM

Dec 2012
It was a great episode. Watching the first case of Odagiri was interesting. The only thing that makes me think that it was the last episode, is the smile of Yuki with the same advice than the beginning of the show.

A pleasant anime to watch with an atmosphere different of the others. It's a shame that the first part was not as good as the second. Yuki is so cool.
SakaitsuJun 22, 2016 10:28 PM
Jun 22, 2016 11:46 PM

Dec 2012
Acting was an interesting choice for the final episode considering the ultimate actor is a spymaster. Odagiri's monologue at the end sums it up best. The nature of espionage is one that requires the spies to abandon their humanity and self identity to carry out their missions flawlessly. They must become completely new people at the drop of a hat and can never have true personal ties beyond the ones they figment. Their entire lives are dedicated to deception and the unknown. The tone of the OP and ED capture that best. The OP opens up the show with this idea that being a spy is classy and cool, but the more emotion driven mood set by the ED is a reminder that this profession comes with sacrifices.

Joker Game possesses a level of class that rarely comes with anime nowadays. Initially I had hoped that there would have been a central plot, but the episodic nature proved to be very gripping as well. The time period was a perfect choice and despite the complaints that this promotes Japanese nationalist propaganda, I once again point to this quote from episode 1 in reference to the emperor:
"If Japan lost the war, the people would promptly learn to take all their faith and put it in the antithesis of their original beliefs."

The philosophical espionage was pure genius, always offering deeper insights into the art of spying as well as the various views of nationalism that came with the WWII era. This is especially demonstrated in Yuuki's policy of how the best spies do not die nor do they kill. An enemy can become more impotent when left alive and similarly a comrade does not guarantee the safety of the mission through death.

I doubt shows like this do well in Japan, but it never hurts to hope for more. Truly my AOTS, 9/10. I'll also make sure to never bow in a business suit.
Jun 23, 2016 4:06 AM

Mar 2012
This last episode was beautiful but did not offer any kind of closure really. I would have loved to see more of that interaction between the characters and much more drama. The thing is Ι'm not a big fan of the episodic format, but the show still managed to remain fairly enjoyable throughout, which was surprising. OP and ED themes were probably the best I've heard in quite some time.
I'll be waiting for the specials ╹◡╹

Jun 23, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2009
I had more hopes in this series when I started, I know it followed the spies in many missions, but it make me feel like there was no connection in all episodes...just like random episodes, the end was another episode that made me feel that way, we had some good episodes, but most were not so good, I won't be watching a 2nd season. 6/10
Jun 23, 2016 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
Great anime. Hope will be a season 2

Jun 23, 2016 12:52 PM

Aug 2012
did anyone notice the empty chair at the table? there were only 7 out of 8 spies but i just cant tell who was missing
Jun 23, 2016 1:56 PM

Apr 2013
Was quite a chore to even finish this series because of its episodic nature.

Interesting themes with no plot continuity and characters which are hard to relate to.
Jun 23, 2016 9:54 PM

Jul 2015
This is a really good show, it just bums me that it has to end already.

As of 12 episodes, I don't see how it would work if there was an overarching plot since D-Agency is pretty much OP. Yuuki simply wrecks anyone in his way.

Don't mind me though, just an opinion passing by.

Jun 23, 2016 10:53 PM

Nov 2011
most of the action is in the OP lol
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jun 23, 2016 11:07 PM

Oct 2015
Well this wasn't the worst anime this season but it had a lot of wasted potential and was boring at points.
6/10
Jun 24, 2016 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
sanilecious said:
did anyone notice the empty chair at the table? there were only 7 out of 8 spies but i just cant tell who was missing

Lol, the 8th is Odagiri; that one he stood still before the table in front of Yuuki.
Jun 24, 2016 6:26 AM
Oct 2007
A weaker than usual episode to conclude the series. Still enjoy the show considerably throughout. Hope to see more from this genre in the future!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2016 8:44 AM

Oct 2015
Didn't feel like the final AT ALL.

It's sad how this (imo great) anime has to end right after you had the chance to know each character enough to enjoy it fully.
Maybe even having a fav spy *cough* Hatano *cough*.

So much potential...well at least it was great to see all the spies together again at the end...

I'm still sad tho
Jun 24, 2016 2:59 PM

Aug 2014
Very good anime something fresh and interesing i would like to see more episodes.
I can give easy 8/10
Jun 25, 2016 3:09 AM

Jan 2016
7/10 it was good but i didnt feel like it was the last ep :/
Jun 25, 2016 5:29 AM

Nov 2011
I do not know the others, but I was left with no doubt as to where he was there directing the plot, until I did not see the last part of this episode. As has been opened, so has run full circle, in a truly sublime, I was hesitant until the end, but history has managed to make himself understood in the last few moments, just as it is understood the true reason for the spy's death , it took just one picture, wow! Good dialogues, good ambiance. soundtrack and scenery are beautiful, ditto for drawings and animations, the IG animation studio, shows once again, how good at her job.

8/10
Jun 25, 2016 6:43 AM

Nov 2015
Didn't feel like a finale, but we got to see the D Agency members once again. 6/10

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2016

177 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.