Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2016 2:13 AM

Nov 2011
Neutrally spreaking:

Subaru doing wrong things is natural, there is only few he can do.
It's as if the country where you live is going to be assaulted by millions of neonazis, and you're the only one who know that with no proof and you can't tell them. So what do you do? Asking for the most powerful and closest help is the best hope, but you have nothing to offer to a country who already has everything. However in the real world, the country would probably help anyway and you would have a huge dept to them. This is exactly what Subaru is trying to do.

This is a candidate-centered episode, with character developpement :
Crusch is lying, try to act friendly but she won't act without benefit.
Priscilla is narcissistic, she play with people, look them down, but honor and fidelity is even more important to her.
Anasthasia is cunning, sly, opportunist. She just got what she want and threw Subaru away.

This episode is not about Subaru being idiot, but about him doing errors. To him, saving people is a reason in itself to execute the cultists. Just imagine if one of the 3 candidate he talked to was Emilia, she would accept to give a hand.

HOWEVER, Subaru still getting victimised is bad writing, we just had enough of it in the last episode. I agree that he can't act perfectly regarding what he went through, I personnally wouldn't like it if he jumped from insanity to hero in just one loop, but is doing error without being crushed by everyone he meet is incompatible? His suffering is becoming too long now. Honestly if Subaru is still a victim at the end of the 9 remaining episode, the show will become very terrible.

I still have hopes in the show, maybe this episode was needed. He seems to collect all the seven deadly sins one by one now, Priscilla say things about lazyness and greed.

4/5
pterozJul 18, 2016 3:29 AM
Jul 18, 2016 2:19 AM

Jun 2013
Damn that ending song and ending animation was hella good. Beautiful
Jul 18, 2016 2:24 AM
May 2016
I always predict what anime will booming and will not from the start of the show

And 90% correct.

From tokyo ghoul, one punch man, bokudake (and i predict it will going down after mc lost memories),

Well, my predict not always same. But the hype always real with my choice.

Re:Zero, is hype soo much even in my country (indonesia)

I already know from watch episode 1 (the quality) and from manga (the plot)

I see this anime is unique.
The main character is assho**
Different from others character you will found in every anime. (Soo boring)

This character more like tales of abyss. Not good personality. But still become MC.

A lot of people will say bad things about him.

But several will sympathize.

This is also one of attractive point from this anime. Even if you hate it, give the low rating. Or even give a high rating.

Is that make influence to the original income?
You watch it for free isn't? (Even i k ow sone of you pay for it.)

Just accept it. The book sales increased.
This is huge success.

Whatever, the author smiling with money, when you criticized him in this forum.

The conclusion is:
This is not anime for everyone.
But still, will have a huge fanbase that will appreciate it.

Ah about gore things, i not really like the gore scene. Head chopping, blood everywhere, ect. It's to common for me.

Just gore, I won't watch it.
Like akame ga kill... that anime have gore scene, still, trash for me.

Elfen lied, have a lot of gore, it's still trash anime, for me.

The best "gore" is when you can i fluence psychology of the people who watch it. Give thw deep trauma. Even if not everyone will like it, i think that is master piece. Of course character pop ups from somewhere and slice human with a lot of organ and blood, will not have psychological impact.

But must backed up with great plot and story.

That's the real gore. Not everyone can make that plot.

I'm work as local manga author-writter.
And still failed to make deep impact gore scene.

Re zero is great
Jul 18, 2016 2:25 AM

Nov 2011
Ricardo_Ricky said:
I would like to have the answer you think is watching this anime

1. why subaru never be calm with death which had almost become a habit in his life?

2. why not exercise the sword to an expert by using the power of rebirth? (This will be very helpful) if the Rem could smell the Witch Jealous of Subaru mean Power of Rebirth will not disappear until the Witch is missing from that world, right?

3. why not trying to tell the Power of Rebirth with the writing? (Because it can not tell by words)

#googletranslateuser(lol)

1. He saw the people he love dead few second before his rewind. And it's only 2nd time so he's not used to it.

2. Because he doesn't control his abilities. What if he don't reborn next time he suicide? And the witch is already missing in the rezero's world.
Now I give you the rebirth ability, go suicide yourself until you become the smartest guy on the planet, but I can stop the ability whenever I want ^_^.

3. It's the same thing, he would be stopped even if he tried to say it by farting in morse code.
Jul 18, 2016 2:30 AM
Mar 2016
My first watch made me think this episode is not that great. Lower-quality animation, not-so-action-packed scenes, and Subaru acting like a loser. But when I rewatched this ep, it's actually entertaining and this episode really has some rich amount of advice for Subaru that is really applicable to all.
Bit disappointed on Priscilla's voice acting when she becomes angry. But the visuals are great. Maybe the only great part of animation this whole episode.
Subaru on going back to the mansion:
episode 14: I wanna go back to the mansion because I am the only one who can take Emilia's side, since others treat Emilia as an enemy.
episode 16: I wanna go back to the mansion because I wanna kill the Witch Cultists.
The comparisons show the change of his goal in life - from wanting to be on Emilia's side forever, to revenge against the witch cult.

Selfish and impulsive. IMO that's who he is. And persistent (not a bad thing in itself). And IMO Subaru does all these things to protect his pride on his ability to reach or protect his goals. He does not want his pride to be hurt, that he wants to fight back when his pride is hurt just to redeem his sense of pride. His true goal in life IMO is to protect his sense of pride.
He is too desperate protecting that goal that he is willing to sacrifice everything, money, dignity, respect, just to protect that selfish goal.
I notice that many MC's of other anime have the pride problem. The difference of Re:Zero and other anime is that in the other anime, when the MC's do the things above, all problems are solved and their pride is protected, as if doing those things are solutions to all problems. But in Re:Zero, when Subaru does those things, the problems become worse.
It's nice that Re:Zero points these out and really has some practical life lessons but the not so good writing puts this show down. IMO Kadokawa's revision in the LN from the WN is good but not enough to repair the writing.
Luckily, Subaru has Rem who supports him even though IMO she knows that Subaru's actions are unacceptable.

For Subaru to be a better person, he has to think and accept wise advice. Also, he has to calm down and don't be reckless in making decisions.
crx07Jul 18, 2016 2:34 AM
Jul 18, 2016 2:33 AM

Jun 2013
NitroKageAki said:
Chiyousagi said:

He didn't choose to reset. Sure he doesn't know where his save points are(and he can't go back to older ones), but that conference fcuk up was deem not worthy enough by him at that moment to go for a reset.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. After his disgrace in the palace and fierce argument with Emilia, he did not take the easy way out to kill himself as he maybe believe that if he "train" hard enough and act as if the argument does not bother him even a bit (in fact, it does), Emilia will magically understand all his efforts and their relationship will fix as well.

My point is like what I said in my previous comment, it is irony that Subaru, who in fact has a possibility to create unlimited first impression, can't do so as his Return By Die is not as flexible as it should be in other time-travel/leap anime. And I bet if he has a choice in picking checkpoint, he will definitively choose the checkpoint prior to the conference. Although this will be bad writing since all the tension and conflict as well as Subaru's character development will be reduce to zero...

Hard to say. If subaru were to reset, it will be more for the quarrel rather then bad impression. Yet he already choose not to do it which viewers are already wondering during that episode why. Guess he is feels he is right and more importantly the author could be emphasizing that indeed subaru was right in his insistence in keeping close to Emilia and protect her. Subaru only know about her death because ram's clairvoyance which alerted rem. Imagine if subaru didn't know until too late and a new save point was somewhere further down.

pteroz post directly below yours point out that this episode was to show us the nature of those candidates which I feel so too. None of them own subaru anything, and all 3 of them fully exercise their rights to do so. Nothing to do with their first impression of subaru. In fact everyone here should easily understand that political rival never help each other out and so subaru getting trolled was nothing but expected.

The only thing I hope to see(provided subaru doesn't reset and epi 16 event remain) is somewhere later on subaru is in a position to "warn" those 3 but doesn't, or at least wait until bad stuff is about to happen before tipping them off and laugh his ass off as they receive the tip off too late leaving them in no position to change anything. Esp to Crusch. Gotta teach those 3 who is the most invaluable information broker around.
Jul 18, 2016 2:38 AM

Jun 2013
pteroz said:

3. It's the same thing, he would be stopped even if he tried to say it by farting in morse code.

There definitely is some leeway. Subaru can share the information freely, just not talk specifically about return by death.

Meaning he can't say he can return by death, but there is nothing stopping him from saying he has some sort of clairvoyance ability.
Jul 18, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2016
Ricardo_Ricky said:
I would like to have the answer you think is watching this anime

1. why subaru never be calm with death which had almost become a habit in his life?

2. why not exercise the sword to an expert by using the power of rebirth? (This will be very helpful) if the Rem could smell the Witch Jealous of Subaru mean Power of Rebirth will not disappear until the Witch is missing from that world, right?

3. why not trying to tell the Power of Rebirth with the writing? (Because it can not tell by words)

#googletranslateuser(lol)

Well I have read the WN of Re:zero up to Arc 6. Japanese is of course not my native language so I might misinterpret the text so there is possibility of my understanding of the story is flawed and wrong. Yea, allow me to answer your question without giving too much spoilers

1. No one will get used of getting killed as it is against the principle of being a living thing (living as long as you can to continue your genes to the later generation). Subaru is broken, however he has yet reached a point that he devalue his own life as something expendable and worthless compared to other lives since he can Return By Death. Although he does so in a IF chapter where he

2. Training, in my opinion does not help much since even if he abuse RbD to train profusely in mutiple loop, he will lose all his muscle memories if he get reseted. Then you will have a situation where you have a crappy hardware to run a superior software where this definitely will not end well as there is too many monsters in that world. Rem capable in detecting the scent is getting thicker does not equate that he unlimited retries. Maybe it is a warning, that if the scent get past a certain threshold, something worse that death might befall to him.

3. Well I have the same question as well. Though the limit of what of the curse is not explored, I see no point of testing the patience of the Witch of Envy who grants him his only power, the RbD (his abuse of RbD in episode 10 is very dangerous and lucky for him that Satella didn't go into full rage mode.....yet). Who know what she might do..........

Hope this helps.
Jul 18, 2016 2:47 AM

Nov 2011
Chiyousagi said:
pteroz said:

There definitely is some leeway. Subaru can share the information freely, just not talk specifically about return by death.

Meaning he can't say he can return by death, but there is nothing stopping him from saying he has some sort of clairvoyance ability.

I was trolling for this one, obviously
Jul 18, 2016 2:59 AM
Mar 2016
pteroz said:
Crusch is lying, try to act friendly but she won't act without benefit.
Priscilla is narcissistic, she play with people, look them down, but honor and fidelity is important to her.
Anasthasia is cunning, sly, opportunist. She just got what she want and threw Subaru away.
I wanna defend them.
Crusch never lies. She seems to act friendly because Subaru is her guest. She has to treat him well as a guest. Subaru misunderstands Crusch's actions. And Crusch really cares about not hurting Subaru's feelings. Look how she holds Felis to stop him from provoking Subaru. Fortunately, Crusch cannot hold back Felis' spicy hot statements.
Priscilla maybe wants to look down to people, but in this episode, it shows that she cannot take people allowing themselves to be looked down. That's why she's really angry at Subaru describing him as a filthy pig. She wants people to at least have some pride and dignity in themselves, but Subaru allows himself to be treated like trash.
Anastasia is cunning. But it's expected to their world, and Subaru admits that (in ep2). So Subaru must take care about his actions.

Emilia will take his request because she's that kind of a person. But it's a double-edged sword. Emilia can be abused by other people due to that.

Subaru, yes, have errors. But these errors are not minor. They are major errors, especially on their part of their world. Subaru sold Emilia's dream to Crusch. That's ridiculous for a self-proclaimed knight. Subaru is willing to kiss the foot of Emilia's enemy. Subaru is very disrespectful to those who disagree with him. At least Elsa have some composure when she failed to get the insignia, but Subaru acts mad when he doesn't get what he wants.
Maybe this is the effect of trauma from the deaths he saw. He has to calm himself.

His suffering is becoming too long now.
I think the author wants to throw out his hate on undeserving anime/LN/manga MC's to Subaru. If this anime is not Re:Zero, we will expect Crusch or Priscilla to help him because of his special license as an MC.
Jul 18, 2016 3:02 AM

Jul 2016
Chiyousagi said:
NitroKageAki said:

Yeah, I totally agree with you. After his disgrace in the palace and fierce argument with Emilia, he did not take the easy way out to kill himself as he maybe believe that if he "train" hard enough and act as if the argument does not bother him even a bit (in fact, it does), Emilia will magically understand all his efforts and their relationship will fix as well.

My point is like what I said in my previous comment, it is irony that Subaru, who in fact has a possibility to create unlimited first impression, can't do so as his Return By Die is not as flexible as it should be in other time-travel/leap anime. And I bet if he has a choice in picking checkpoint, he will definitively choose the checkpoint prior to the conference. Although this will be bad writing since all the tension and conflict as well as Subaru's character development will be reduce to zero...

Hard to say. If subaru were to reset, it will be more for the quarrel rather then bad impression. Yet he already choose not to do it which viewers are already wondering during that episode why. Guess he is feels he is right and more importantly the author could be emphasizing that indeed subaru was right in his insistence in keeping close to Emilia and protect her. Subaru only know about her death because ram's clairvoyance which alerted rem. Imagine if subaru didn't know until too late and a new save point was somewhere further down.

pteroz post directly below yours point out that this episode was to show us the nature of those candidates which I feel so too. None of them own subaru anything, and all 3 of them fully exercise their rights to do so. Nothing to do with their first impression of subaru. In fact everyone here should easily understand that political rival never help each other out and so subaru getting trolled was nothing but expected.

The only thing I hope to see(provided subaru doesn't reset and epi 16 event remain) is somewhere later on subaru is in a position to "warn" those 3 but doesn't, or at least wait until bad stuff is about to happen before tipping them off and laugh his ass off as they receive the tip off too late leaving them in no position to change anything. Esp to Crusch. Gotta teach those 3 who is the most invaluable information broker around.

Haha. I do share your sentiment towards the three candidates that they should get a taste of the crap Subaru been through, especially Priscilla, GOD I still can't stand her haughtiness even I had finished Arc 5.

Their action, however, is somehow justified (as much I don't want to admit it), like they, as the future ruler of the country, can't really lend their army to some random madman that they barely know, without proof to support his points and merit big enough to outweigh the risk. And who knows that Subaru maybe a spy from the Witch Cult with the mission of luring the lent army just to be ambushed afterwards. That is a feudal medieval world where the lives of your own private army can easily outweigh the lives of some random peasants who is not even your subject (yet). And Subaru naive appeal to humanitarianism will bound to fail as Subaru and the three candidates share different moral standpoint.

Welcome aboard to the Suffaru train~
Jul 18, 2016 3:03 AM

Oct 2014
AironicallyHuman said:

...Isn't the ultimate point of this arc for Subaru to learn his lesson in the long-run as he rebuilds his relationship with Emilia/learns to depend on others?

We already got that in Arc2. No need to repeat it with forced 'development' (or more like Recession) and OOCness
Jul 18, 2016 3:16 AM
Mar 2016
@Fai
I think Subaru resembles the MC's of anime/LN/manga that dont deserve to become one. I believe the author wants to torture Subaru because of his hate to those MC's. But if you don't like the progression of the story, I can understand. The incoherence is there.
Like in this episode where the author literally makes all the candidates be literally dumb hitler just so he can put Emilia on a pedestal.
They are not dumb. They just don't have a care on Emilia. Why would they? And above all, who will believe Subaru?
Oh and lets make Subaru dumb and unable to convince people suddenly because we need teh suffering guyse. How is this the same dude who negotiated with the apple seller in EP1 is beyond me.
IMO Subaru acts stupid because he is trusting more on his impulse more than his brains. And IMO he acts more on impulse when there's pressure on him to act.
Jul 18, 2016 3:18 AM
Apr 2011
NitroKageAki said:
Chiyousagi said:

Haha. I do share your sentiment towards the three candidates that they should get a taste of the crap Subaru been through, especially Priscilla, GOD I still can't stand her haughtiness even I had finished Arc 5.

Their action, however, is somehow justified (as much I don't want to admit it), like they, as the future ruler of the country, can't really lend their army to some random madman that they barely know, without proof to support his points and merit big enough to outweigh the risk. And who knows that Subaru maybe a spy from the Witch Cult with the mission of luring the lent army just to be ambushed afterwards. That is a feudal medieval world where the lives of your own private army can easily outweigh the lives of some random peasants who is not even your subject (yet). And Subaru naive appeal to humanitarianism will bound to fail as Subaru and the three candidates share different moral standpoint.

I can't stand Pricilla either. Mostly because unlike all the other candidates, she has no real goals (that are explained so far). While everyone else is busy gathering information(Anastasia), gathering supplies (Crusch), etc.... she's just amusing herself for the hell of amusing herself. :V

But yeah, I can't blame them for not being all on board for fighting the cult. Like I'm pretty sure even they know that's a pretty big risk. Let alone for your own enemy / opponent.
Jul 18, 2016 3:26 AM

Nov 2011
crx07 said:
I wanna defend them.

Sorry, my post sound like "those 3 girls are bitches", that was not my intention. I'm just saying they are not as friendly as Subaru expected, so I only talked about their flaws.
pterozJul 18, 2016 3:29 AM
Jul 18, 2016 3:35 AM
Apr 2011
pteroz said:
crx07 said:
I wanna defend them.

Sorry, my post sound like "those 3 girls are bitches", that was not my intention. I'm just saying they are not as friendly as Subaru expected, so I only talked about their flaws.

I'm sure if Subaru was on their side, they would treat him a lot better xD (not that they really treated him bad in the first place though). I think that has a lot to do with it too.
Jul 18, 2016 3:38 AM

Apr 2011
ahah, it is the infodump episode, but it was a good one heh.

some bits and pieces of the puzzle has been revealed (although this cannot possibly be all of it?) and while it does hint economics (Crusch and Russell gathering iron, Otto and his out of season Oils), I doubt it will be centered that heavily on it.

It's regrettable that Subaru hasn't yet been able to regain composure similar to how he had done so in Arc2, hopefully he will be able to do so after a few more deaths. Subaru had my hopes up during his talk with Anastasia as he's shown glimpses of his calm self, taking in information and processing it (but hokes, he lost composure again).

I'm actually very intrigued with the puzzle arc3 has given, and it REALLY makes me want to jot down the details and see if the solution can be found (afaik, the problem right now is "How can Subaru reach Roswaal's manor in time") before the anime reveals the answer.
Jul 18, 2016 3:46 AM
Jul 2016
Mezter said:
Finally 2nd cour ED!

Poor Subaru, gets rejected, kicked and deceived.

and the whale finally appears....
-Stray said:
Dang Subaru got... fcked in more ways than one, literally every candidate trolled the fck outta him, cant really blame them tho since the way Subaru asking for help was not the right way to ask for one, and was it just me or did anyone else wanted Priscilla to kick the him as well, dude was literally ok with licking her foot, that is not what a man does (then again he's desperate and full of rage atm)

Also WTF was that giant eye cliffhanger? was that a giant beast creature or somethin? that was surprising, and finally we got ED visual, the visuals doesnt exactly help the atmosphere this anime is building but heck Emilia based ED is a good enough ending for me.

I agree somewhat to an extent that Subaru got fucked over, but I do not feel that bad for him. Though it is true that because of his ability to escape death, he will most likely never recover mentally... the stress, burden, and weight that having such a power puts on him was to great. Not only this, but he was brought in from another world. At the beginning, he copes with the reality of being in a new world with manga from his past world. The truth his, he would not be in this position had he not been chosen to join this world.

Subaru continued in the world with the absence of manga and quickly made Emilia his only coping mechanism with reality which was a fatal move. On top of slowly losing his insanity in this new 'dream world' he cannot die, but lives to remember the pain of dying, gruesome images of his loved ones dying...

This was all happening within the first few episodes of the anime when we thought this was going to be a nice fast paced action--drama. So we've covered two negatives, but to top it off, Emilia was his ONLY temporary cure, after losing her alongside the other two negatives, he changed. This is the part where I said I didn't feel that bad for him. It was indeed sad to see him get put through all of this, but when he changed, the only one who fucked Subaru was himself. It was subtlety mentioned throughout the last few episodes emphasizing EP. 12-16 where he made a fool of himself and when he visited each of the candidates which could potentially be a reference to the 7 deadly sins.

Note: Prior to episode 12-16, it should be noted that lust or malicious envy could be applied to when Subaru was feeling jealousy towards anyone hanging around Emilia, especially against Julius. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Remember when Emilia was asking him why he was doing those things, and she explained he was doing it for himself. Well that's sort of true. At the beginning of the series, Subaru's intentions were clear and thats what Emilia liked about him. Due to his downfall into insanity, it has changed and warped his perspective. When he self- proclaimed himself as Emilias knight and foolishly accepted a challenge from a real knight, that wasn't out of love or protection for Emilia and she understood that, but for his own Pride.
When Subaru left the healing session and was captured by Betel, Betel mentioned that he was the epitome of Sloth. Continuing on, he comes back to ask for Karstens help in destroying all of the Witch's followers, not once mentioning saving Emilia which indirectly points towards Wrath. Finally we conclude with Subaru asking Barielle for help. She then request he get down on his knee's and lick her foot for consideration. He was going to do it when she slaps Subaru around for being disloyal and being a Greedy pig.

Again, I don't disagree that he got fucked over by others and that due to his overwhelmingly terrible situation, it could lead him to make some bad decisions, but he really fucked everything up.

This is just my thought and is by no means true, you are not obligated to agree, but feel free to leave your thoughts.
MoreauAndrJul 18, 2016 3:52 AM
Jul 18, 2016 3:47 AM

Jul 2016
FononZero said:
NitroKageAki said:

I can't stand Pricilla either. Mostly because unlike all the other candidates, she has no real goals (that are explained so far). While everyone else is busy gathering information(Anastasia), gathering supplies (Crusch), etc.... she's just amusing herself for the hell of amusing herself. :V

But yeah, I can't blame them for not being all on board for fighting the cult. Like I'm pretty sure even they know that's a pretty big risk. Let alone for your own enemy / opponent.

Yeah, Priscilla bloated ego is hard to bear and I guess the author is trying to break the haughty oujousama trope who is tsuntsun in the outside and deredere in the inside towards the male lead. Her haughtiness is somehow justified as she can easily insta-kill Subaru if she wants it and has not face a single failure in her life (where some of her disadvantages magically ends up benefiting her in the end), enough for her to believe that the world revolves around her.

Spoiler(?)/Info about her past

Despite all this, I still can't find myself to like her....
NitroKageAkiJul 18, 2016 3:57 AM
Jul 18, 2016 3:58 AM
Apr 2011
NitroKageAki said:
FononZero said:

Yeah, Priscilla bloated ego is hard to bear and I guess the author is trying to break the haughty oujousama trope who is tsuntsun in the outside and deredere in the inside towards the male lead. Her haughtiness is somehow justified as she can easily insta-kill Subaru if she wants it and has not face a single failure in her life (where some of her disadvantages magically ends up benefiting her in the end), enough for her to believe that the world revolves around her.

Spoiler(?)/Info about her past

Despite all this, I still can't find myself to like her....

That's very true. I guess if she did have a dere side, she'd probably be like any other oujo character out there in anime. And that's an interesting backstory

Jul 18, 2016 4:02 AM

Dec 2010
Great episode as always, these canditates are really something and kick Subaru in the butt. Can't blame him after all the mess he pass on.

Can't wait ti see the next episode, Re:Zero is so addicted. :)

5/5
Jul 18, 2016 4:08 AM

Nov 2011
Anyway, basicly Subaru left half a day later than the last loop, in day 2 , probably took the same road (12 hours longs). The difference was enough to encounter the whale mist in end of day 2.
Now Betelgeuse and Ram signal to Rem appeared day 3 in loop 2, and the domain is attacked day 4. So Betelgeuse appearing this loop is still possible but they are still pretty far from where he was attacked with Rem.
Jul 18, 2016 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
Interesting episode, more political base. Was hoping Subaru would slam someone of this girls faces in the floor but i guess that didnt happen... Is becoming a bit repetitive seeing him constantly getting furious and making a fool out of him self.
And that ending with the whale O.O
Jul 18, 2016 4:43 AM

May 2013
Ah, now this here was a great episode. I liked last episode well enough, but at times its "SUFFERING" felt excessive and somewhat indulgent. I do appreciate it more in hindsight, since seeing the hell Subaru just experienced helps contextualize his short-sighted recklessness and idiocy in this episode. Still, I think I prefer Re: Zero when it's in world-building and subtle character development mode, and this here had that in spades.

After the epic last shot of Subaru in the last episode, people were expecting a suddenly super-competent MC who would show his enemies whose boss, but instead we get the same guy with no concrete strategy tossed around by people who are far more politically savvy than himself. I love it, partly because of how it defies audience expectations, but mostly because it just makes the most sense. Subaru can become as angry as he wants, as revenge-driven as he likes, but the world doesn't revolve around him and isn't suddenly going to bend to his will, something he learns all too harshly here. I once again must commend this show for allowing such an unlikable character to occupy the MC slot for so long. I've been of the opinion that character likability is overrated for a while now, so this works fine for me. Subaru is still a compelling protagonist, and that's all that matter to me.

I loved the direction of the first few minutes, where we are deliberately not allowed to see Subaru's face in its entirety, his eyes hidden from view despite being the last thing the audience saw in the previous episode. That adds to the impact when we finally see the murderous glint in his eyes when he explodes in rage, and even then Subaru's face is hidden in shadows, accentuating the unsettling look in his eyes. Screaming at the person whom he is begging for help is self-evidently unsound negotiating, but Subaru isn't thinking of that, he's thinking of the hell he witnessed last episode. It's perfectly understandable, if not frustrating to watch. I've said this before, but seeing Subaru's ugly side in such vivid detail humanizes him a great deal, because we have also seen the best of him before and know he can be better.

Not that I think the narrative is particularly sympathetic to Subaru here, even after all of his suffering. It's been a while since I've seen a narrative this critical of its protagonist, because it seems pretty clear that the three candidates' criticisms of Subaru are meant to be taken as valid and not just antagonistic nonsense. Subaru himself only confirms their low opinion of him through his actions, words, and thoughts, over and over again. It's striking just how little the torture last episode changed Subaru. He's still the same guy suffering from the same crippling character flaws highlighted in episodes 12 and 13, just with some madness and a drive for vengeance sprinkled in to exacerbate them and further blind him to his own weaknesses. Subaru's main problem this episode is his inability to step outside of himself and of his narrow view of the world. He's often selfish, thinking of others strictly in terms of how they relate to his own desires and his own problems. That feeds into his honestly entitled nature, where he EXPECTS others to return what he sees as favors, what he sees as his own heroism. This ties into his problematic relationship with Emilia, where he idolized her and placed her on a pedestal while also convincing himself that no one is more loyal to her, than no one is more dedicated to her, and that no one is more capable of standing besides her than himself. That attitude eventually exploded in his face in episode 13, where it became clear that Subaru didn't actually SEE Emilia; he only saw the goddess he felt obligated to "save," whether she liked it or not, and worse, he believed he deserved to be thanked for his chivalry, even when it ignored the will of the person whom he claimed to love the most. Subaru probably should have realized his folly after what happened to the village, but all he really took away from that experience was that the Witch Cult needed to die, which I honestly can't blame him for. It's a perfectly understandable response.

What that means, though, is that the same character flaws that led to the fallout between Subaru and Emilia are still present. Subaru is still framing the entire situation here in terms of how it affects his feelings, in terms of how it relates to his own goals, without seriously considering the POV of others. After Priscilla humiliates him, he seethes in rage as he tells himself that she's forgotten he saved her life the first time they met. There's that entitled attitude again, but it's hard to judge Subaru too harshly simply because of how human a response it feels. It's short-sighted and symptomatic of the selfishness at the core of Subaru's character, but again, it's a feeling easy to understand. But again and again, Subaru's utter inability to consider other people's desires in his negotiations, instead of simply fixating on his own, drives the criticism of his character home. Highlighting this personality defect through Subaru's negotiations was clever, too, because it gave the writer a chance to deliver some good world-building and character development for the candidates while still commenting on Subaru's problems. This whole arc so far feels like a sustained attack on the White Knight syndrome, and I'm looking forward to how it resolves itself.

Subaru shows some hints of improvements toward's the end of the episode. He finally shifts his goal from killing the Witch Cultists to saving his friends, and finds a viable method of doing it by taking the advice he's been given and actually successfully negotiating with others. When he first gets the idea of buying oil in exchange for transportation, he initially addresses Otto by saying "I need to to talk," before changing that to "[I want to] ask for YOUR help." Subaru reframed his request so that it isn't about him ("I") but instead about Otto ("your"). This immediately makes the following conversation about Otto, not Subaru, which is how a negotiation should work. So yay progress.

Next episode, Subaru's encounter with Re: Zero's Moby Dick...
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Jul 18, 2016 4:44 AM
Jul 2014
The first episode that was actually good imo. This time everything was believeable. His anger due to his inexperience in negotiating and not understanding why people won't just help him, when he tells them they can prevent a massacre are all understandable. Though if he doesn't become the next Witch that tries to destroy the world as I suspect him to be, I would be really dissapointed.

Not to say the previous episodes were bad per se but they just weren't believeable. Even if you try to look through the eyes of someone who is suffering like he has, his decisions and the way he handled things were really poor. Especially the episodes where he was dying because of Rem and the way he was when the evil dogs attacked almost made me drop this anime.

If someone can confirm wether he will become the next Evil witch that hates people and wants to destroy the world, please let me know. I don't mind being spoilered since I don't rly feel attached to the anime. Just want to know what direction hes going.
Jul 18, 2016 4:49 AM
Jun 2016
I have a feeling subaru's going to return by death and make a new plan for saving the villagers and emillia
Jul 18, 2016 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
@MrAM

gg on making a wall of text that summarizes the point of this episode, instead of the usual bias ranting that throws in stuff that are not even objectively true

many shit-posters here could learn a thing or two from you
Jul 18, 2016 4:54 AM

Oct 2013
pteroz said:

1. He saw the people he love dead few second before his rewind. And it's only 2nd time so he's not used to it.

2. Because he doesn't control his abilities. What if he don't reborn next time he suicide? And the witch is already missing in the rezero's world.
Now I give you the rebirth ability, go suicide yourself until you become the smartest guy on the planet, but I can stop the ability whenever I want ^_^.

The witch is missing? From where do you have this info?
Jul 18, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2013
Yuuki_Etna said:
FononZero said:

Why wouldn't he? :V

Jul 18, 2016 4:57 AM

Oct 2013
NitroKageAki said:

Well I have read the WN of Re:zero up to Arc 6. Japanese is of course not my native language so I might misinterpret the text so there is possibility of my understanding of the story is flawed and wrong. Yea, allow me to answer your question without giving too much spoilers

1. No one will get used of getting killed as it is against the principle of being a living thing (living as long as you can to continue your genes to the later generation). Subaru is broken, however he has yet reached a point that he devalue his own life as something expendable and worthless compared to other lives since he can Return By Death. Although he does so in a IF chapter where he

2. Training, in my opinion does not help much since even if he abuse RbD to train profusely in mutiple loop, he will lose all his muscle memories if he get reseted. Then you will have a situation where you have a crappy hardware to run a superior software where this definitely will not end well as there is too many monsters in that world. Rem capable in detecting the scent is getting thicker does not equate that he unlimited retries. Maybe it is a warning, that if the scent get past a certain threshold, something worse that death might befall to him.

3. Well I have the same question as well. Though the limit of what of the curse is not explored, I see no point of testing the patience of the Witch of Envy who grants him his only power, the RbD (his abuse of RbD in episode 10 is very dangerous and lucky for him that Satella didn't go into full rage mode.....yet). Who know what she might do..........

Hope this helps.

Does witch appears in the light novel as a character? How does she knows that he returned X-times by death? Is she some sort of a god?
CollectivusJul 18, 2016 5:14 AM
Jul 18, 2016 4:58 AM

Aug 2015
juicykitten95 said:
Yuuki_Etna said:

I doubt it'd be so simple because Subaru remembers him but Otto doesn't.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jul 18, 2016 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
Diwo said:

Does witch appears in the light novel as a character? How does she knows that he returned X-times by death? Is she some sort of a good?

Jul 18, 2016 5:15 AM

Jun 2013
NitroKageAki said:

I don't really care about suffaru. Just hate the "force" babyrage by the author since I see it as just another form of dragging out. Like how in dbz anime you have two retards standing and posing for a good half duration of the episode and then gotta wait until next week before able to watch anything meaningful becuz tada... cliffhanger :D

Mess up suffaru for all I care, as long as I get meaningful insight. By all means have suffaru getting information becuz his torturer is a blabber mouth. 16 episode in and we hardly know much stuff. This is just another log horizon(god dam that anime, watching 4 cour worth of episode and we didn't get anywhere)

But yeah, I agree that no one is obliged to help him. Just that I hope subaru will get the chance to "prove" his information worth :D Plus since they like to play the everything given requires something in return game, subaru show them who is boss. That his help/information is literally priceless.
Jul 18, 2016 5:16 AM

Oct 2013
juicykitten95 said:
Diwo said:

Does witch appears in the light novel as a character? How does she knows that he returned X-times by death? Is she some sort of a good?

I meant god, but thanks had this question too. And why is the witch doing this?
Jul 18, 2016 5:20 AM

Jan 2013
Diwo said:

I meant god, but thanks had this question too. And why is the witch doing this?

Jul 18, 2016 5:45 AM
Jun 2016
Eh, i quite dislike when protagonists go psycho or mad like Subaru did, but episode in general was interesting especially end.
Jul 18, 2016 5:48 AM

Jul 2016
Diwo said:
NitroKageAki said:

Hope this helps.

Does witch appears in the light novel as a character? How does she knows that he returned X-times by death? Is she some sort of a god?

In the LN it does make some appearance in the Arc 3 of the LN, in a form of shadowly figure if this counts. And yea, she IS the main reason for Subaru's RbD. As for whether she's god or not, so far there isn't confirmation of such thing, as least she is sturdy enough to force the dragon, hero, and sage to just seal her as they can't eliminate her...
Jul 18, 2016 5:55 AM

Jul 2016
Chiyousagi said:
NitroKageAki said:

I don't really care about suffaru. Just hate the "force" babyrage by the author since I see it as just another form of dragging out. Like how in dbz anime you have two retards standing and posing for a good half duration of the episode and then gotta wait until next week before able to watch anything meaningful becuz tada... cliffhanger :D

Mess up suffaru for all I care, as long as I get meaningful insight. By all means have suffaru getting information becuz his torturer is a blabber mouth. 16 episode in and we hardly know much stuff. This is just another log horizon(god dam that anime, watching 4 cour worth of episode and we didn't get anywhere)

But yeah, I agree that no one is obliged to help him. Just that I hope subaru will get the chance to "prove" his information worth :D Plus since they like to play the everything given requires something in return game, subaru show them who is boss. That his help/information is literally priceless.

Yea, let's hope for the best that this doesn't end up like Log Horizon (WHAT HAVE YOU DONE STUDIO DEEN~~~~), though I have confidence for White Fox since they cut short OP and ED and some scene in the beginning of Arc 3 just to allocate more time for the more vital ones. The ending for this show would be grand.......provided there isn't last minute asspull(looking at you, Kabaneri...)

CheersXD
Jul 18, 2016 5:58 AM
Feb 2009
Skaabais said:
Eh, i quite dislike when protagonists go psycho or mad like Subaru did, but episode in general was interesting especially end.

I'm the opposite. It's good when MC isn't generic.
Or do you mean over-the top mad like most villains in anime. Then I'd say it's not that bad. There are a lot of characters in other anime who are really crazy without a good reason, I'd say Subaru had a reason.
Jul 18, 2016 6:13 AM

Sep 2012
I can't handle Subaru being so stupid all the time. I mean, did he really think Emilia's rivals would just go ahead and give support to her without any compensation and believe the word of a useless guy who just got humiliated beyond measure? You can get confident or desperate enough for something, but you NEVER go full retard.

There is a difference between being somewhat incompetent and trying to make up in the areas you are good at, getting better bit by bit, and being a complete and utter idiot. This and Chapter 13 gave me second hand embarrassment and I still can't believe he hasn't asked anyone for a way to kill himself in a painless way (like the curse thing in previous episodes) to take full advantage of his powers.

I want to like these chapters because they are effectively showing the difference in status, power, connections, intellligence,etc between him and the others (basically worldbuilding and stuff like that), but the guy is simply too much of a manchild to understand he's doing something really wrong.
Jul 18, 2016 6:16 AM
Apr 2011
Kaetokiha said:
trannon1 said:

Honestly, Subaru's issues came way before the loop even starts. He didn't try to understand the world and people enough. He naively calls himself Emilia's knight without understanding the implications or responsibilities. He thinks of people as just tools to be used for furthering his romance with Emilia.

What I would do better than him? Well I would appeal towards the ideals of the candidates. We know that Priscilla is insanely prideful, therefore if he had linked Priscilla's ego with the destruction of the village, something like: "If you really are perfect, can you let any evil stain your perfection which is your future kingdom?" or try to get as much information as possible to get Anastatia to use her merc army to intervene. That or he could have appealed Crusch's ideal of strength, that children are the future potential and everytime that is lost, that strength is also lost.

Yeah he wanting to be Emilia's knight was too much. I ask myself what Subaru think of this world, but i don't question this too much because i think this might be explained latter (someone on the forum said Subaru's early actions would be explained at some point).

The part you said about Priscilla i don't agree too much because i think Subaru didn't understood her enough. Like you said, he didn't tried very hard to understand everyone.

But even if you were to do all these things, except for Crusch (maybe even her), the others would require dying once more since Subaru (or you in this case) would know very little about the others, so at least for this life i think all his actions were plausible. Maybe if he dies now he can try to convince them, but i'm not sure if he will try.

They were such an assholes with him, i personally would try to find another way without having anything to do with them after dying once more. Fuck those girls.

We call them assholes, but are they really? We need to understand that their society and ours differ. Subaru is trying to force his values upon others.

All three candidates are focused on the election because they believe their values are the most beneficial towards the kingdom in the long run. Crusch wants the Kingdom to be stronger, Priscilla believes if she rules the kingodm the kingdom will automatically become the best kingdom, Anastatia wants to take everything in the world, which benefits the kingdom in the long run. In other words, these girls are looking towards the big picture. This is very much the difference between individuals and politicians. If any of the candidates were to do something about the Witch Cult and lose resources in the process, they will obviously want something that can balance it out.

Let's say Crusch or the other candidates were to help Emilia and Emilia withdraws, the candidate that helps her will now have less resources to compete against the other candidates even if Emilia withdraws. So obviously they want something for doing something.

Another mindset we have to take into account is that Priscilla, Crusch, and Anastatia are obviously. They are taught since they were young that commoners are beneath them so Subaru's appeals for sentimentality and emotions pretty much fell on deaf ears.

Finally, Subaru is naive. Obviously we can't blame him for being naive, but he could have at least tried to read the mood. The scene where he proclaimed himself to be Emilia's knight was very cringeworthy and I am of the opinion that he has grown too overconfident with himself. After saving people, he has gained a Messiah complex. To want gratitude after saving someone, that can no longer be called saving, that is just give and take. Is Subaru the protagonist of some light novel or something. Well he is of course, but he doesn't know that. The world doesn't revolve around him, but Subaru started thinking it did after he solved the previous two loops, which ends up alienating him from everyone else.
Jul 18, 2016 6:20 AM
Jan 2008
Skaabais said:

I know that feeling bro but at least here is explained because everything that has transpired so far.

P.S.: About Re:Zero Ex Light Novels.... they are sort of prequels right? They are worth it? Or they are just milking the cow? Should I read it if I am a *anime-only* follower? Thank you
Jul 18, 2016 6:32 AM
Dec 2013
SH4kun said:
I can't handle Subaru being so stupid all the time. I mean, did he really think Emilia's rivals would just go ahead and give support to her without any compensation and believe the word of a useless guy who just got humiliated beyond measure? You can get confident or desperate enough for something, but you NEVER go full retard.

There is a difference between being somewhat incompetent and trying to make up in the areas you are good at, getting better bit by bit, and being a complete and utter idiot. This and Chapter 13 gave me second hand embarrassment and I still can't believe he hasn't asked anyone for a way to kill himself in a painless way (like the curse thing in previous episodes) to take full advantage of his powers.

I want to like these chapters because they are effectively showing the difference in status, power, connections, intellligence,etc between him and the others (basically worldbuilding and stuff like that), but the guy is simply too much of a manchild to understand he's doing something really wrong.

IIRC the MC said that he didn't know how many times he could come back from the death, though assuming you can die as many times as you like, would you really want to die just because something went wrong? Why not explore as much as possible before dying, such that you'd die fewer times?
As for dying in a painless way, I doubt anyone would offer suicide assistance that easily.
Jul 18, 2016 6:32 AM

Jan 2013
trannon1 said:
Let's say Crusch or the other candidates were to help Emilia and Emilia withdraws, the candidate that helps her will now have less resources to compete against the other candidates even if Emilia withdraws. So obviously they want something for doing something..

Main reason why they refused to assist is that their involvement would resolve the current conflict and Subaru didn't suffered nearly enough to advance the plot yet.

Your theory works only in the case they are preparing for a civil war to break out and they will have to take out their opposition by force. Which may indeed be a case, considering Crusch action. If there is going to be a simple popularity vote, acting in defence of the citizens may actually help.

This theoretically brings us to the situation where Emilia can't win because she doesn't have an army and other candidates will try to seize power by force anyway.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 18, 2016 6:33 AM

Jul 2016
WesKeR said:
Skaabais said:

I know that feeling bro but at least here is explained because everything that has transpired so far.

P.S.: About Re:Zero Ex Light Novels.... they are sort of prequels right? They are worth it? Or they are just milking the cow? Should I read it if I am a *anime-only* follower? Thank you

Re:Zero Ex Light Novel is actually side stories featuring side characters such as Crusch and Ferris the the leads in EX1 and the young Wilheim in EX2. It expands on their backstories where the main story (LN and WN) barely touches it. It makes sense since their backstory does not really have to do with Subaru "suffering" adventure. Altohugh I haven't read any of those, I heard EX2 (Wilheim's youthful days lol) is way good enough than any typical LN stories and let's hope for the best that these stories will be to be OVA'd.
Jul 18, 2016 6:42 AM

Sep 2012
simonli2575 said:

IIRC the MC said that he didn't know how many times he could come back from the death

We've been shown that, at the very least, he can revive 3-4 times per checkpoint.

though assuming you can die as many times as you like, would you really want to die just because something went wrong?

Yeah, kinda. That's the point of having these powers in the first place and the conclusion Subaru reached a couple of episodes ago.

Why not explore as much as possible before dying, such that you'd die fewer times?

Checkpoints change randomly though. He simply can't take too much time or else he will find himself too far in time to fix his mistakes.

As for dying in a painless way, I doubt anyone would offer suicide assistance that easily.

Beatrice, for example. He could've simply told them he wanted to experience on curses when he was on the castle, as another example.
Jul 18, 2016 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
trannon1 said:
Let's say Crusch or the other candidates were to help Emilia and Emilia withdraws, the candidate that helps her will now have less resources to compete against the other candidates even if Emilia withdraws. So obviously they want something for doing something..

Main reason why they refused to assist is that their involvement would resolve the current conflict and Subaru didn't suffered nearly enough to advance the plot yet.

rolls eyes Unfortunatelly for you, it isn't that simple.
Jul 18, 2016 6:52 AM

Jan 2013
Rehls said:
rolls eyes Unfortunatelly for you, it isn't that simple.

It is not, is it?

Show didn't show me much so far except the fact they added more and more gore to prove how "mature" it is. My personal bet is that Subaru needs to die at least 3 more times before plot advances itself, most likely in exceedingly painful and brutal way.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 18, 2016 6:55 AM

Jun 2007
Shrimperor said:
AironicallyHuman said:

...Isn't the ultimate point of this arc for Subaru to learn his lesson in the long-run as he rebuilds his relationship with Emilia/learns to depend on others?

We already got that in Arc2. No need to repeat it with forced 'development' (or more like Recession) and OOCness

You would think, having told Rem to depend on others, Subaru would've learned his lesson, but that's not the case: he was previously able to struggle through, relying on willpower. That gave him a false sense of security; leading to the whole 'I AM KNIGHT!' cringe. Until he was forced to realise acting OTT goofy and determination alone was not enough, he essentially learned nothing. And that is why he is so angry now, with all joking around stopped: for the first time, some hard truths are hitting home, one after the other.

Basically, until he's mentally crushed and outclassed, he's too simple-minded and prideful to accept reality. His prior successes, aided by others, blinded him to his own ignorance and incompetence. So, I'd argue this arc was exactly what was required to take the series forward. Uncomfortable viewing or no.

The main problem here is that Subaru, like most idiots, is not a fast learner. But most people put in his current situation would be at a loss. It's all well and good armchair critics suggesting not just asking for help, relying on guilt/anger, but he has nothing to offer.
AironicallyHumanJul 18, 2016 6:59 AM
Jul 18, 2016 6:58 AM
Dec 2013
SH4kun said:
simonli2575 said:

IIRC the MC said that he didn't know how many times he could come back from the death

We've been shown that, at the very least, he can revive 3-4 times per checkpoint.

You don't know how many times he could come back from death. At least 3 to 4 times, for sure, but for how many more?

though assuming you can die as many times as you like, would you really want to die just because something went wrong?

Yeah, kinda. That's the point of having these powers in the first place and the conclusion Subaru reached a couple of episodes ago.

Beatrice, for example. He could've simply told them he wanted to experience on curses when he was on the castle, as another example.

My point was, you experience pain when you try to kill yourself, which is terrible experience and not something you can get used to even if you have had experienced it several times already.
Whether Beatrice would offer painless suicide or not, can you really reach her before the witch cult arrives? It may have been relevant in arc 2, but not in this arc.

Why not explore as much as possible before dying, such that you'd die fewer times?

Checkpoints change randomly though. He simply can't take too much time or else he will find himself too far in time to fix his mistakes.

Checkpoints may change randomly, but since we know that after several days, he's died twice on the day the witch cult attacks and come back to the same checkpoint, so we'd presume we have several days to explore options.
Pages (24) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

539 by ionelHeredia »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2078 by NicoIsCool »»
Sep 26, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2016

1835 by Pruzkumak »»
Sep 24, 12:54 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

513 by ionelHeredia »»
Sep 23, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2016

793 by cibertopia »»
Sep 21, 9:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.