Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone think anime has truly changed their lives?

New
May 22, 2016 11:34 AM
May 2016
It doesn't have to be big-just something you gained or lost from watching anime/reading manga. Personally I think I've become more of a procrastinate (just in general), have gotten more social-as well as gotten ok at singing.
I also got A LOT more serious at drawing. And realized how bad my drawings truly were.
I didn't like to sing until I found foreign music-particularly Japanese-and I didn't feel embarrassed anymore because no one could understand what I was saying. Then I slowly got less shy and I sing regularly now. It can get awkward though because it's mostly Japanese-and my family questions why I don't like American/songs in English music more-

So how about you guys? Has anime changed your life in any way?
_JADMay 22, 2016 11:54 AM
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?
They both mean that anime controls most of your life.

(Made this just to have a signature)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 22, 2016 11:45 AM

Mar 2016
Discovered existence of Japan and how different it is from european countries from cultural standpoint. Gotta visit it one day in my life :D
May 22, 2016 11:49 AM

Mar 2015
Yea it did. I finally stopped hanging out with all those lazy 3d people and found some fresh new 2d homies.
also, i finally discovered a hobby that lasts longer than a month lel
what
May 22, 2016 11:53 AM
May 2016
Xeutron said:
Discovered existence of Japan and how different it is from european countries from cultural standpoint. Gotta visit it one day in my life :D

Despite how much I love Japanese culture I'm not in a rush to visit.
I do wanna visit someday too though-just not right now.
RottenPanda said:
Yea it did. I finally stopped hanging out with all those lazy 3d people and found some fresh new 2d homies.
also, i finally discovered a hobby that lasts longer than a month lel

Much more than a month-
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?

May 22, 2016 11:54 AM

Oct 2013
I've turned into a happier person and got my knowlege wider
May 22, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
I found out that I have a passion for drawing, just not hyper-realistic kind of drawings. And now I'm doing my best to improve.
May 22, 2016 12:00 PM

Jan 2015
Anime changed my life for the better, got nothing more to say ^_^
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

May 22, 2016 12:05 PM

Aug 2014
Not really, anime has just been entertainment for me, hasn't really had any effect at all on my life well I guess it did make me a filthy otaku though....
May 22, 2016 12:06 PM
May 2016
dadnaya said:

Yeah-I got happier too because I could actually relate for once.
Moogle-Magic said:
I found out that I have a passion for drawing, just not hyper-realistic kind of drawings. And now I'm doing my best to improve.

My drawings were truly bad before I watched anime-
Ultimatedeath said:

Snappynator said:
Not really, anime has just been entertainment for me, hasn't really had any effect at all on my life well I guess it did make me a filthy otaku though....
I see.

May 22, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2015
Picked up my guitar again thanks to music anime.
Became an avid reader because of some characters.
So it really changed my life for the better.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

~ Leonardo da Vinci
May 22, 2016 12:08 PM

Oct 2013
_JAD said:
dadnaya said:

Moogle-Magic said:

Ultimatedeath said:

I see.

Also, I feel like I've found my place, and with people I can talk with and similar to me.
May 22, 2016 12:09 PM

Dec 2015
Anime has impacted parts of my life, yes. I usually like to draw mangas from time to time. It has made me become an artist. Anime was always a thing I liked when I was 7, completely oblivious to what anime genuinely was.

It has also taken a rather small but effective impact pyschologically. I feel much more happier and a lot of people in my school like to comment about why I'm so happy and that I'm the happiest person they've ever seen. Then some people can be cynical about that (lewl)

I've also become a LITTLE bit self-awared. It has made me more conscious but knowledgable? no. That's something I attained reading news and consistently studying at home and shit.
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 22, 2016 12:23 PM
May 2016
PinuelAndrew said:
Picked up my guitar again thanks to music anime.
Became an avid reader because of some characters.
So it really changed my life for the better.

I started to learn the glory of fiddling.
Actually became less of a reader-I read manga more than actual books now-whoops-
Yay!
dadnaya said:
_JAD said:

I see.

Also, I feel like I've found my place, and with people I can talk with and similar to me.

Yeah same. Before I couldn't really have a conversation-now it's, "Dude, did you see Osomatsu-san yet? Man-you got to see it it's amazing!"
Pramma_Gunio said:
Anime has impacted parts of my life, yes. I usually like to draw mangas from time to time. It has made me become an artist. Anime was always a thing I liked when I was 7, completely oblivious to what anime genuinely was.

It has also taken a rather small but effective impact pyschologically. I feel much more happier and a lot of people in my school like to comment about why I'm so happy and that I'm the happiest person they've ever seen. Then some people can be cynical about that (lewl)

I've also become a LITTLE bit self-awared. It has made me more conscious but knowledgable? no. That's something I attained reading news and consistently studying at home and shit.

I always was an artist-but now I actually try at being an artist.
I am more happy as well-have something to look forward to now.
I still don't know anything in the real world-I never watch news.

May 22, 2016 12:33 PM

Nov 2009
In retrospect - hell no. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I was into anime during my time as a young adult, but it never saved my life, never taught me something of value and was generally pretty expensive hobby. It was a good companion during my first few years in university and me thankful for that, but time moved on and so am I.

May 22, 2016 12:58 PM

Dec 2014
Yes, a lot. After watching Monogatari Series I got a 180º personality change. I'm not going into detail with that right now, but it did happen.
My interest in music went from non existent to really high because of how much I like most openings/endings and OST overall, and I started playing bass guitar. I stopped the last year but I still play from time to time.
I decided which career I'm going to study at college after rewatching TTGL for the third time, so thats probably the biggest effect anime had on me.

Xeutron said:

Also this
May 22, 2016 1:20 PM

Oct 2014
I took interest in learning elements of animation, storywriting and cinematography- just amateur level, nothing life-changing, but it's there.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 22, 2016 1:21 PM

Feb 2016
Anime has definitely made me more of a shut-in person, but it's worth it. It makes me happy :-)

▬▬▬▬▬✿♥✿▬▬▬▬▬
change of heart
May 22, 2016 1:24 PM

Feb 2016
I didn't grow up with anime as I got into it around 25. So it couldn't really change my life. However, it does provide me with some of the greatest entertainment I have ever had.
May 22, 2016 1:28 PM

May 2014
It's definitely influenced my life and interest over the years. But the biggest impact anime has had on me is when I watch an emotional series and I get hype to get stuff done in my own life.
May 22, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2016
I was positive it had when I was 14. I may have been right.
May 22, 2016 1:50 PM

Dec 2014
Couterone said:
benjawanksta said:

I decided which career I'm going to study at college after rewatching TTGL for the third time, so thats probably the biggest effect anime had on me.

That is awesome.
What did you decide to become?

Filmmaker, after watching all that awesomeness I figured it would be awesome to be part of the process. And after directing two shorts for my school I can confirm it is what I want to do.
I'm also very lucky to study at an Audiovisual Arts school from even before I knew what I wanted to do because I have some actual knowledge about the process before going to college, so that also helped a lot to make my decision.
May 22, 2016 2:44 PM

May 2014
I started watching anime when I started college, and honestly, anime has helped me make a lot of new friends. It's been a surprisingly good conversation topic when I meet new people. So yeah, it hasn't had some HUGE effect on my life, but it's made me happier
May 22, 2016 2:51 PM
May 2016
kamisama751 said:
After discovering anime I have started talking to plebs.

I see.
MajorZero said:
In retrospect - hell no. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I was into anime during my time as a young adult, but it never saved my life, never taught me something of value and was generally pretty expensive hobby. It was a good companion during my first few years in university and me thankful for that, but time moved on and so am I.

Hey, I didn't learn anything from those online RPGs but they were still a great time-waster-
benjawanksta said:
Yes, a lot. After watching Monogatari Series I got a 180º personality change. I'm not going into detail with that right now, but it did happen.
My interest in music went from non existent to really high because of how much I like most openings/endings and OST overall, and I started playing bass guitar. I stopped the last year but I still play from time to time.

Xeutron said:

Also this

It's great that much happened! Thanks to anime I want to strive to be an animator or another art-based career.
KoreaWS said:
I took interest in learning elements of animation, storywriting and cinematography- just amateur level, nothing life-changing, but it's there.

Ditto.
Vaginkle said:
Anime has definitely made me more of a shut-in person, but it's worth it. It makes me happy :-)

At first I was an in-the-closet fan, but then I realized the benefits of being more open.
I get what you mean tho.
anobaka said:
I didn't grow up with anime as I got into it around 25. So it couldn't really change my life. However, it does provide me with some of the greatest entertainment I have ever had.

Indeed it is.
Ascendence said:
It's definitely influenced my life and interest over the years. But the biggest impact anime has had on me is when I watch an emotional series and I get hype to get stuff done in my own life.

Actually I just get more depressed at the fact that there is real suffering and how pathetic it is that I'm complaining about problems like mine-
But I occasionally get that feeling soon. If nothing else, it's just enjoyable to watch.
cwtgcheese said:
I was positive it had when I was 14. I may have been right.

What happened?

May 22, 2016 2:52 PM

Feb 2016
Yeah. For some reasons I think I got better in human sciences thanks to animes...
May 22, 2016 2:54 PM
May 2016
Ara_Desu said:
Yeah. For some reasons I think I got better in human sciences thanks to animes...

I wonder why that is.....
adura613 said:
I started watching anime when I started college, and honestly, anime has helped me make a lot of new friends. It's been a surprisingly good conversation topic when I meet new people. So yeah, it hasn't had some HUGE effect on my life, but it's made me happier

Yeah-
A bit ago, when I went to a camp and had just gotten into anime, I was paired up with a shy girl-and an we did have a lot to talk about thanks to anime!
A year ago it would have just been awkward silence-
Yeah, anime is good.

May 22, 2016 2:58 PM

Nov 2015
Yes I do. Through anime I have actually learned to appreciate the creative process more and to not except sub-par media in general. It's hard to even watch live action shows now because most are just no interesting and are made like poop. Also I've only cried watching anime.. never anything else. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Clannad actually changed my life.
May 22, 2016 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
Ara_Desu said:

I'm curious to know which anime led you to that conclusion
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 22, 2016 3:15 PM
May 2016
Gabagool said:
Yes I do. Through anime I have actually learned to appreciate the creative process more and to not except sub-par media in general. It's hard to even watch live action shows now because most are just no interesting and are made like poop. Also I've only cried watching anime.. never anything else. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Clannad actually changed my life.

Ditto. Anime is the only medium to make me cry. Yet it still has the power to make me laugh out loud-something I never have done before watching anime.
I never watched live-actions anyway.

May 22, 2016 3:18 PM

Oct 2014
not really though,

but it did help me improve my Creativity in storytelling
May 22, 2016 3:20 PM
Oct 2015
Anime got me to learn Japanese, which in turn helped me find a career I wanted to strive for; said career being a Japanese-to-English translator. I also made new friends online because of it, and it's really great when I get to converse with people who share similar interests as me.
May 22, 2016 3:20 PM

Oct 2014
_JAD said:
Gabagool said:

Ditto. Anime is the only medium to make me cry. Yet it still has the power to make me laugh out loud-something I never have done before watching anime.
I never watched live-actions anyway.

good, you should especially dodge Disney live action series like Hannah montana.
May 22, 2016 3:36 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
been obsessed with anime since i was like 8 lol

so no not really xD
May 22, 2016 3:41 PM

Feb 2016
KoreaWS said:
Ara_Desu said:

I'm curious to know which anime led you to that conclusion

Animes that needs a certain amount of interpretation, like the Monogatari Series or OreGairu.
May 22, 2016 3:46 PM

Dec 2015
hmmm not really.. I am still a lolicon teenage.. but it has definitely replaced another hobbies I had

May 22, 2016 4:03 PM

Oct 2015
Yes, I watch a lot more stuff now, before I was really into anime I would often struggle to find stuff that I was interested in watching.
May 22, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2015
I have become a lot less critical of things that people enjoy, because anime, is a niche thing where i live, not many people like it, most find it weird, this may seem weird, but it is the truth.

Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

that is my cringey message of the day people.
May 22, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2015
This type of thread seems to pop up quiet often in these forums... evident by the amount of people trying to troll here
May 22, 2016 4:12 PM

Dec 2015
It's a hobby appreciated by many and is such a diverse medium. I also became friends with a bunch of other people online and real life through liking anime.

I think anime hasn't 'changed my life' but more like through anime I found joy in something that never will get old.
May 22, 2016 4:13 PM

Aug 2015
I realized that special snowflakes are a plague in anime series even more than in TV series/Movies and that all males from Japan must obviously be thin guys with short black hair and that about all adults are stupid compared to immature teenagers, at least, judging by a lot of the anime series I saw.

Seriously, it didn't change much except for the fact that it was one more thing I could do to entertain myself.
May 23, 2016 12:29 AM

May 2015
I found the anime community here. If you go to the right places, it's a huge boost in social life.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 23, 2016 12:58 AM

Aug 2015
Yes, now I don't hang out with my 3D boyz around as much as I used to, and 3D girls are way too much trouble xD
Jokes aside it made me a bit kinder, and I can now deal with stupidity better :V

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
May 23, 2016 2:17 AM

Dec 2015
I really has. I starded playing Everlasting Summer (steam free game)
I was bullied during 7 th grade and moved to another city and then I found really stupid friends and then I found 2D :D

After I finished many games I begun to watch anime tv series and now look where I am.

Anime changed me 2 years ago and now Im really into anime :)
May 23, 2016 2:24 AM

Jan 2015
It has certainly made me more critical and analytical of the various forms of media I consume.
May 23, 2016 2:28 AM
Apr 2016
It has indeed made me more open minded. If there is anything that would stop me from playing league of legends, it is anime.
May 23, 2016 2:40 AM
May 2010
Not really. I find it to be just another form of entertainment, not really life-changing in any sense. If anything, non-anime movies have been more life-changing than anime. Anime's just for casual fun.
May 23, 2016 2:41 AM

Jan 2014
I mean, I got into anime before I'd even entered elementary school (Pokemon was my main obsession) and so I'm sure that had I never watched it, my life would be somewhat different. But I don't think anime as a whole impacted my life significantly, though there are a few works (such as Oyasumi Punpun) that definitely changed my perspective in various ways and influenced me.
May 23, 2016 2:42 AM

May 2016
Xeutron said:

Take me with you plz ;_;

I checked a ton of videos about Japan and its really amazing!!! And its also really cheap!!
May 23, 2016 3:03 AM

Feb 2015
I stopped watching tv, gaming, and became more perverted then ever!
May 23, 2016 3:05 AM

Apr 2016
No only thing anime do is ruin your ,make you lazy and end your social life.
May 23, 2016 3:25 AM

Jan 2016
I'd say so, from certain perspectives. I can see how it wouldn't do much for some, rather it's just a time-killer or just something to get through the day. But for me personally, I've learnt quite a few things from the animes I've watched. It's given me some new outlooks on life, such as not take things for granted and to be strong. I've gotten into more things about Japan such as cuisines and even contemplating getting my first ever bonsai. One day, I'd love to travel to Japan.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Yesterday

31 by DinoNo1 »»
9 minutes ago

» What's a period of anime you miss and have lots of nostalgia for?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

17 by DinoNo1 »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime ratings on MAL vs IMDB

Unalina - Nov 17, 2020

35 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» I am praising the anime industry in general (a short topic where I'm sharing my personal thoughts).

9765 - Jun 14

13 by DinoNo1 »»
15 minutes ago

» Nominate 1 character from your Favorites that would be the best at Butt Sumo, and nominate 1 that would be the worst

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourSmile »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.