Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (35) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2015 12:14 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Insertanamehere said:
WormPriest said:

Doesn't really justify the wolves chewing on her while she screams out of pain bit. Could have done perfectly fine without that by just letting the wolves jump at her after she falls down or something and Berserker suddenly appears to protect her.

Them chewing Illya for a good 20 seconds or so while she screams was just unneedlessly edgy and cringey. You can't really tell me you didn't find the scene where wolves chew on a little girl while she cries to be edgy as hell.

More that I was wondering why she wouldn't use her magic against them.
For argument's sake, she looked pretty exhausted/weak, so one can make a case for it
Apr 18, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
Tokoya said:
Didn't know that violence/Near death experiences = bad

Sorreh =/

Wolves chewing on a crying girl for like 20 seconds when it wasn't needed is pretty bad, yeah.
Apr 18, 2015 12:15 PM
Sep 2013
RIP Ilya.

GIL WAS AWESOME LOL XD

Didn't feel like the flashbacks were needed in this episode though. Maybe it could have been the extra content in the bluerays? Dunno, it kinda ruined the epic mood the battle in the beginning had set. I don't remember but did shirou call out like that during the original VN? Forgot. Beautiful animation quality but....are they gonna omit that heart ripping scene???

I do need that scene cause it was epic (and sad)
Apr 18, 2015 12:15 PM

Dec 2013
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Hey VN players, except for CookingPriest what would you give this episode?!~
3/5

I agree with the majority of CP's points
BAN ME
Apr 18, 2015 12:16 PM

Sep 2014
YggdrasilTM said:
Siegzilla said:

Says the guy who uses "You don't know me" as rebuttal. You're mocked relentlessly on Beast's Lair BTW.

Yeah, CookingPriest is mocked by the whole FSN fandom. I think only here in MAL people are still taking him seriously.

He's the Mike of MAL.

You can rest safely now, Sir DiddlesMick-kohai.
Insertanamehere said:
WormPriest said:

Doesn't really justify the wolves chewing on her while she screams out of pain bit. Could have done perfectly fine without that by just letting the wolves jump at her after she falls down or something and Berserker suddenly appears to protect her.

Them chewing Illya for a good 20 seconds or so while she screams was just unneedlessly edgy and cringey. You can't really tell me you didn't find the scene where wolves chew on a little girl while she cries to be edgy as hell.

More that I was wondering why she wouldn't use her magic against them.

Lol, this. After what we've seen. Wolves(which shouldn't exist in that period of time) can't compare to an Average One.
Siegzilla said:
BanterBus said:

Why would you read through UBW before Fate?

Because Fate's reputation for massive sexism and bad romance isn't exactly enticing?

1) Read the Realta Nua Beast Lair version. It like, has the sexism cut out and improved.
2) The romance itself is great. It's just the presentation of it.
The sun is a deadly laser

Aug 2014
Snkopft said:
RIP Ilya.

GIL WAS AWESOME LOL XD

Didn't feel like the flashbacks were needed in this episode though. Maybe it could have been the extra content in the bluerays? Dunno, it kinda ruined the epic mood the battle in the beginning had set. I don't remember but did shirou call out like that during the original VN? Forgot. Beautiful animation quality but....are they gonna omit that
???

I do need that scene cause it was epic (and sad)

Spoillers.

Oct 2014
Siegzilla said:
BanterBus said:

Why would you read through UBW before Fate?

Because Fate's reputation for massive sexism and bad romance isn't exactly enticing?

LOL really. If you read the route you'd understand that the sexism thing is over blown by people who 1) havent read the route and only saw the anime. 2) have poor reading comprehension.
Apr 18, 2015 12:17 PM

Dec 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

4/5

Some of what CookingPriest said on the first page is quite true TBH, IMO.
Apr 18, 2015 12:17 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
WormPriest said:
Tokoya said:
Didn't know that violence/Near death experiences = bad

Sorreh =/

Wolves chewing on a crying girl for like 20 seconds when it wasn't needed is pretty bad, yeah.
It still got the point across.....That's like faulting someone for taking a shortcut to get somewhere instead of a standard path.....They're still arriving at the same destination
Apr 18, 2015 12:18 PM

Oct 2014
3/5 I don't think I would have felt anything for Illya if I wasn't projecting at least Fate knowledge onto this. As a standalone the whole thing came across as flat to me.

Sep 2013
I didn't buy this Illya thing AT ALL.

Strongest master? Hahaha. All her did was cry and shout.

Why did Berseker protected her as well? Could've been better explained.

Anyway, not an interesting character, I guess.

Sep 2014
Siegzilla said:
Insertanamehere said:

I-it's meant to be read first, though. >_>

Fate route isn't the most interesting and seeing how Nasu's stuff is very long and detail loaded, why read that first when the UBW route is overall better and more interesting? I mean I will get to it one of these days but even Nasu said he'd rewrite it heavily.

He jjust said he'd re-write it. Simply because it's the first route - meaning he had less experience when he wrote it compared to UBW and HF. Secondly because when writing it, he couldn't get Proto(Male Saber) out of his head. Which is what caused the sexism and bad romance.

You need to read it to get exposition and world building.
Apr 18, 2015 12:19 PM
Mar 2013
I felt this episode was quite disappointing. The fight was awfully one-sided and therefore, boring imo. I expected something better given the scenes in the opening. I think Illya's characters was wasted potential too. I mean, we get one flashback and that's it? yet she was introduced early on and seemed to be relevant to the main story. It kind of annoys me. Like others have said, the pacing was rather bad as well.
Apr 18, 2015 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
Wintovisky said:

She beat Rin in episode 3.
Apr 18, 2015 12:20 PM

Sep 2014
Wintovisky said:

Because Hercules is actually Kiritsugu who returned to the Age of Gods. He faked his death, so he could go all that way back, die, be summoned and protect Illya. ;_; So sad...

Jks
Apr 18, 2015 12:20 PM
Mar 2015
mira-nyan said:
Siegzilla said:

Fate route isn't the most interesting and seeing how Nasu's stuff is very long and detail loaded, why read that first when the UBW route is overall better and more interesting? I mean I will get to it one of these days but even Nasu said he'd rewrite it heavily.

He jjust said he'd re-write it. Simply because it's the first route - meaning he had less experience when he wrote it compared to UBW and HF. Secondly because when writing it, he couldn't get Proto(Male Saber) out of his head. Which is what caused the sexism and bad romance.

Which could be gotten in shorter more interesting ways then going through the entire route. I mean I will read it at some point but UBW's more interesting IMO.
Apr 18, 2015 12:21 PM

Dec 2014
Siegzilla said:

Which could be gotten in shorter more interesting ways then going through the entire route. I mean I will read it at some point but UBW's more interesting IMO.

Just uhh... read Fate atleast before you start HF.
Apr 18, 2015 12:21 PM

Sep 2014
JD2411 said:
I felt this episode was quite disappointing. The fight was awfully one-sided and therefore, boring imo. I expected something better given the scenes in the opening. I think Illya's characters was wasted potential too. I mean, we get one flashback and that's it? yet she was introduced early on and seemed to be relevant to the main story. It kind of annoys me. Like others have said, the pacing was rather bad as well.

She only truly gets to shine in HF. So either wait for the movies, wait for someone to translate the manga, or read the VN,
Apr 18, 2015 12:22 PM

Sep 2013
Guilek said:
Wintovisky said:

She beat Rin in episode 3.

Meh. Couldn't take some wolves lol.

Jan 2014
Tokoya said:
It still got the point across.....That's like faulting someone for taking a shortcut to get somewhere instead of a standard path.....They're still arriving at the same destination

No. I'm faulting someone for adding an unneedlessly edgy and cringey moment to get a point across when it would have gotten across regardless if it was there or not by just having her almost get her throat bitten off by a wolf. It's saving you 10-20 seconds for something else that way.

This isn't even that much of a big problem for me unlike the fact that Shirou gets constantly made out to look incompetently dumb in some scenes which then brings a circle-jerk about how Shirou is a retarded protagonist.

Sep 2013
mira-nyan said:
Wintovisky said:

Because Hercules is actually Kiritsugu who returned to the Age of Gods. He faked his death, so he could go all that way back, die, be summoned and protect Illya. ;_; So sad...

Jks

omg so sad i cried a little bit ;_;
Apr 18, 2015 12:23 PM

Aug 2013
Insertanamehere said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

4.5, but that's only taking into account my VN knowledge of Illya's character which makes the episode considerably more emotional.
As a standalone I'd say around.....3?

I agree with this.

I also think the episode could have been structured better.Or better yet have them extend it or something.
Apr 18, 2015 12:23 PM
Jun 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

Around 8.5/10. I have some minor complaints but in general I really enjoyed this episode.
Apr 18, 2015 12:24 PM

Sep 2014
Siegzilla said:
mira-nyan said:

Yes, Nasu knows that now. But not then. You just need to read the route and get over with it. It's not as boring and hard as you make it out to be. :I

Plus, you need the Saber and Illya expo for the end of UBW and the end of HF.
Apr 18, 2015 12:24 PM
Mar 2015
BanterBus said:
Siegzilla said:

Just uhh... read Fate atleast before you start HF.

I probably will but I've been understanding UBW just fine. ((Maybe it's because Zero was my first foray into the Fate franchise))
Apr 18, 2015 12:26 PM

Nov 2012
How can anyone possibly like this shitty MC?
Shirou is easily the most bland, stubborn, illogical and annoying MC I've seen.
Bland: I want to become a super hero and save everyone, even if I recklessly die before even saving 1 person, that's it, that's my personality so far. I also cook
Stubborn: It doesn't matter if I am ridiculously outclassed by my opponent, if I chant my ideals not even gods could stop me, I just need to trust my plot armor that I'll live till the end! Believe it!
Illogical: I can't save anyone if I'm dead, but who cares, my ideals will protect me from bullets.
Annoying: *all the above*

Shirou is like a parentless child who really wants a toy, he goes in the store but he has no money because he is poor, so he just throws a tantrum and screams a lot because that toy he wants is really good for his friends and everyone, until he is about to be kicked out of the store but manages to beat the muscled security store owner and get what he wants because the toy is just that good.

-

On this ep: Please tell me why was Shirou chimping out at the end? Gilgamesh defeated berserker and the next step was killing his master. Is it because Illya is a cute little girl? No way, let the girl win, she's so cute and small, it's just a war, you monster.
Apr 18, 2015 12:26 PM

Aug 2012
Siegzilla said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

10/10 though I've just gone through UBW. Haven't done Fate or HF yet.
Insertanamehere said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

4.5, but that's only taking into account my VN knowledge of Illya's character which makes the episode considerably more emotional.
[quote=SH4kun]
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

8.5/10

Ukyo9 said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

It ok.
Made some changes to the flashback to add some extra informations that would otherwise be found in a dialogue with Kotomine in another route to avoid plot holes. Some great music mid episode. Decent to great action. Absolute stunning performance from Gilgamesh' voice actor.

Unfortunately it's a bit ruined by some limited but still present pacing issues.

I also believe they should have avoided using visions of her mother because while I do understand their point, it may be a bit too confusing for anime-only watchers.
MyNameIsJeff said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
3/5

I agree with the majority of CP's points
BanterBus said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

4/5

Some of what CookingPriest said on the first page is quite true TBH, IMO.
DamnThatsTheSpot said:
Insertanamehere said:

I agree with this.

I also think the episode could have been structured better.Or better yet have them extend it or something.

Thanks for all the quick responses, gonna go watch it now!~

Apr 18, 2015 12:27 PM

Jan 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

It was okay and a kinda disappointing, I suppose. 3.5-4/5. I liked the fight and Gil in general. Only things I didn't like was the wolves chewing on Illya bit, Shirou being made out to look like an idiot, and Berserker breaking out of chains was done rather poorly for me.

Flashback thing wasn't that bad for me and I still felt emotional over Illya regardless if the scene was better in the VN.

Sep 2014
Wintovisky said:
mira-nyan said:

Jks

omg so sad i cried a little bit ;_;

Oh mi gah....Y-you actually believed that?

Sorry, I was just joking T_T

Berserker is just caring, is all. I think some thing about it is explained in HA. Idk....

In other news, EVIL GRIN IRIYA

Mar 2013
mira-nyan said:
Wintovisky said:

Jks

Wait, for real? ._.
Apr 18, 2015 12:28 PM
Jun 2009
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
5/5
Apr 18, 2015 12:28 PM

Sep 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

RIP/10. Seriously. Too biased by the subject material to make a real rating.

T_T
Apr 18, 2015 12:29 PM

Feb 2015
There were some pacing issues...I have to admit...that Zerker breaking out of the chains was pretty damn good....the entire episode had a creepy atmosphere...I think more or less,they were able to get their point through...

Jul 2013
Sonotoki said:
Bland: I want to become a super hero and save everyone, even if I recklessly die before even saving 1 person, that's it, that's my personality so far. I also cook
Stubborn: It doesn't matter if I am ridiculously outclassed by my opponent, if I chant my ideals not even gods could stop me, I just need to trust my plot armor that I'll live till the end! Believe it!
Illogical: I can't save anyone if I'm dead, but who cares, my ideals will protect me from bullets.

Shirou is like a parentless child who really wants a toy, he goes in the store but he has no money because he is poor, so he just throws a tantrum and screams a lot because that toy he wants is really good for his friends and everyone, until he is about to be kicked out of the store but manages to beat the muscled security store owner and get what he wants because the toy is just that good.

-

On this ep: Please tell me why was Shirou chimping out at the end? Gilgamesh defeated berserker and the next step was killing his master. Is it because Illya is a cute little girl? No way, let the girl win, she's so cute and small, it's just a war, you monster.

Because you don't need to kill the master to win the war.

Sep 2014
SalemWitch said:
mira-nyan said:

Jks

Wait, for real? ._.

mira-nyan said:

But dayum, that would make such a great fanfic. :D
Jun 2014
JD2411 said:

UBW is only one route of the VN and in this route Illya is rather unimportant.
Apr 18, 2015 12:30 PM

Apr 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

8/10

Good overall, but some things could have been done better.

Sep 2013

I was joking as well lol.

Feb 2015
Sonotoki said:

-

Why are you watching then in the first place?Please go away and watch edgy grim dark stories where the MCs will not really have any morals and will be edgy because they allow an apparent child to die in front of their eyes because LEL war and Fuck you Morality...
Apr 18, 2015 12:31 PM

Mar 2013
mira-nyan said:
SalemWitch said:

Wait, for real? ._.

mira-nyan said:

But dayum, that would make such a great fanfic. :D

lol I thought so. This is my first time venturing into a Fate episode thread, the amount of trolling is astounding lol
Apr 18, 2015 12:32 PM
Oct 2007
If you idiots would kindly stop feeding the troll please. Thanks.

CloudStrifeFFVII said:

4/5.

I could see the point to the extra flashbacks but they just felt out of place and ended up feeling like padding (I'm guessing because of cut content that screwed up the flow). The winter forest scene didn't hit as hard as it should have as a result.
That entire scene starting with Gil pulling out the sword on a defeated Ilya though, that was just breathtaking (and heartbreaking).
Normal well-adjusted human being
Apr 18, 2015 12:33 PM

Sep 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

My vote was "it was ok". Thoughts:

• The Illya flashback started right when the fight was about to get serious, so those who were expectation action at that point probably thought "meh". I'm not sure if there was a better time to show it though, so I'll leave it at that.
  • There wasn't a clear explanation as to why those homunculi in the pool were all pierced by swords.
  • They didn't explain why Illya didn't deal with the wolves herself or why Berserker just used his body as a shield to protect Illya from them (instead of getting rid of them right away).
  • I honestly expected more action based on what those who watched the preview said. And better action. But then again, that's why you can't know for sure until you actually see the episode.
  • They showed a cut a little after the flashback finished and then suddenly we got to see Berserker pierced by several swords. Except we didn't see that take place at all, just like in the previous episode. I find it hard to believe there was any censorship issue, since Gil pierces Berserker's heart with a huge weapon later, so I don't know why they didn't show it. Maybe that's just me, but I find this sort of stuff pretty odd. I don't like it, but I'll overlooked that.
  • I liked how they did show Illya being blind by Gil. That's one of the things that saved this episode imo, but I'm sure other people enjoyed it more than me so I won't speak for them.
  • I won't go into detail, but there's still something missing at the end of this episode. The only logical conclusion is they'll show it at the beginning of ep 4, but I have no idea why they didn't do it now. It would've been a great way to wrap it up.

All in all, I expected more. So I give it a 2.5-3/5.
Apr 18, 2015 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
It was nice to see the back-story between Illya and Berserker.

Poor Illya.
Apr 18, 2015 12:36 PM

Sep 2007
CloudStrifeFFVII said:

8/10 for me for this episode, it was weaker than the visual novel but it was far for terrible, I can sort of agree with Fai/cooking priest but he takes it to such a fanboy extreme I can't help but get pissed off at him.

This is however probably the weakest episode so far, I never gave a shit about Illya so they should have just focused on the gil vs berserker fight scene.
Apr 18, 2015 12:36 PM

Oct 2013
emobuttercupApr 18, 2015 12:40 PM
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Apr 18, 2015 12:37 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
RIP best girl

Oct 2012
No feels for me this time, yet this was pretty strong scene in the game. And more backround fillers (is Kinoko Nasu writing these by any chance?)

And they added and changed things. Angra Manju (even if in a dream), origin of Illya's motivation, pool of homunculi (that shares their memories of past).

I mean, they did tell Ilya past but somewhere along the way they failed to make viewer care about her.
It felt like routine - another master down, ok, during that let's make Gil look even more OP than he needs and then move on to caster. Just like that.

Not the very best episode out there.
May 2012
illya's backstory left some things from the original which I thought were important, but oh well. I didn't enjoy her backstory in this episode as much, but it was an overall good ep. 3.5/5, i'd say.
Jun 2014
emobuttercup said:
They really tried to make the viewer feel bad for Illya here by randomly throwing in her tragic backstory right before her death. It all seemed pretty rushed and forced to me. Throughout all this series they were building up something for her, but the payoff was pathetic. All it did was reveal who she was and what her backstory was. Yeah, there was that whole friendship with Berserker thing, but that was only for like a few minutes. And the only development was that you get to see that Berserker wanted to protect Illya (such shonen bullshit). Even if you watched F/Z, there's hardly any screentime for Illya to care much for her other than being the daughter of the main characters and having a slight foreshadowing that she'll be involved in the next hgw. And that pisses me off even more. They've been building up for Illya in both f/z and this sequel, and she dies before we can truly care for her. That 15 minute backstory can only do so much.
And Berserker breaking out of the chains and coming back to life all looked like the power of friendship bullshit to me. The VN might have explained more of that and Illya's backstory and character development, but this show failed at it.

You know F/SN has three routes, right?
Apr 18, 2015 12:38 PM

Oct 2014
Sonotoki said:

-

This is what people think when they don't show that Shirou actually thinks about his actions and is self aware that his ideal is impossible and that he's selfless to a point of being suicidal. All of this could have easily been told in very small monologues in certain situations.

>Stubborn: It doesn't matter if I am ridiculously outclassed by my opponent, if I chant my ideals not even gods could stop me, I just need to trust my plot armor that I'll live till the end! Believe it!

Shirou never once thinks that believing in his ideals will allow him to save everyone as far as I can remember. He actually thinks about his situation and what his ideals entail. The anime leaves it out because 'visual story telling'

Shirou is a very broken person but he's aware of that fact.

This is what he thinks before he goes out to scream this episode: http://imgur.com/8tzE9Vw

This is what he thinks before he jumps down to save Rin: http://i.imgur.com/G5ZceLB.jpg

This is something cut from the 1st episode: http://imgur.com/a/bTzk6

This is a monologue they butchered in episode 9: http://i.imgur.com/XwgEtPO.png

nocorrasApr 18, 2015 12:41 PM
Pages (35) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1449 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Aug 2, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 20, 2015

1401 by Forum »»
Jul 15, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1575 by Forum »»
Jul 15, 9:15 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1317 by Forum »»
Jul 15, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 2, 2015

1283 by Forum »»
Jul 15, 5:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.