Forum Settings
Forums

Do you identify yourself as a casual or an elitist?

New
Casual VS Elitist
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Mar 18, 2015 11:16 PM

Nov 2013
We're all elitist deep down inside.
Mar 18, 2015 11:44 PM

Apr 2012
I have a slightly subaverage mean score and I criticize flaws in anime, obviously I am a die-hard elitist.
Mar 18, 2015 11:50 PM

Jun 2014
Neither
All credit goes to Sacred.
Mar 18, 2015 11:50 PM

May 2014
baki502 said:
I have a slightly subaverage mean score and I criticize flaws in anime, obviously I am a die-hard elitist.

You monster. How do you sleep at night?
Mar 19, 2015 12:19 AM
Feb 2014
baki502 said:

You're like, gonna need to subtract 3/4 of your scores by two so I can legitimately believe it.
Mar 19, 2015 12:21 AM

Mar 2014
I'm a filthy elitist
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 19, 2015 12:23 AM

Apr 2012
Shitposta said:
baki502 said:

You're like, gonna need to subtract 3/4 of your scores by two so I can legitimately believe it.

If your mean score is below 7.5 you are an elitist. Didnt you know the scale went from 5-10?
Mar 19, 2015 12:24 AM
Feb 2014
baki502 said:
Shitposta said:

If your mean score is below 7.5 you are an elitist. Didnt you know the scale went from 5-10?

I thought it was 5.5/1-10

I'm 6.5 which means I'm basically a guy who can't have his own cake and eat it too :(
Mar 19, 2015 12:28 AM

Jan 2012
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1296799
VBS said:
I'll add a category for myself...

Master: Someone who can watch and love any type of anime. They have watched enough anime to be able to give great recommendations in almost any scenario. They watch long and short; new and old anime. They have the most diverse taste and watch anime from almost all genres. They disregard ratings and recommendations and watch whatever they feel like watching. Their tolerance for bad anime is unknown because they are so good at picking out what to watch that they rarely ever encounter something truly awful. They are comfortable in their knowledge that they'll always be able to find something great to watch for their own enjoyment and do not concern themselves with the race war between the casual and elitist scum who rank below them.
Mar 19, 2015 1:29 AM

May 2007
Im no casual viewer Ive watched alot of the years but to me an elitist is some1 that goes off at a person when that person says something false or something you don't agree with.
Plus they always know everything and nobody likes a know it all.

So im neither I just love to watch anime why should we be placed into a group? I don't get it
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Mar 19, 2015 1:31 AM
Apr 2014
Neither.

I find the terms 'casual' and 'elitist' quite stupid in my opinion, I consider myself to just be a big fan of anime.
Mar 19, 2015 1:50 AM

Jan 2015
neither coz i hav shit taest
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 19, 2015 1:56 AM

Jul 2014
I'm a hardcore elitist.
Mar 19, 2015 2:04 AM

Jan 2015
Okashi_sama said:
I'm a hardcore elitist.
lol
Mar 19, 2015 2:29 AM

Sep 2014
Elitist because if someone haven't seen Eva or NHK they're automatically a filthy casual
Mar 19, 2015 2:38 AM
Mar 2014
It largely depends on who you're talking to, I suppose. That being said, two options aren't exactly a lot, especially since there's a much wider variety in different attitudes than just those two. I'd definitely think of myself as more of a casual viewer compared to the rest of the userbase on MAL (or more generally: among other fans), yet someone who's not into anime at all would probably say that I'm a die-hard fan for watching anime more or less regularly.
From my own standpoint, I guess neither is really fitting. I haven't watched a lot of anime and I'm not someone who expects some really intellectual and deeply psychological commentary on the nature of human beings out of some Japanese cartoons, but I still watch anime on a regular basis and use MAL to keep track of what I plan to watch and such.
Mar 19, 2015 2:46 AM

Dec 2012
I identify myself as a person who watches anime
Mar 19, 2015 2:48 AM

Mar 2013
The real question is are you a casual elitist or an elitist casual.
Mar 19, 2015 2:55 AM
Feb 2014
fst said:
The real question is are you a casual elitist or an elitist casual.

And a reminder that those in the anime-hating circlejerks are usually in the latter of course.

Mar 19, 2015 2:57 AM

Jan 2012
I don't like placing myself as any but since I moved out and have a job I am definitely more casual now as I only get to watch an episode or two here or there as and when I get chance. :( saddens me!
Mar 19, 2015 3:19 AM

Dec 2013
Remember to remove 3rd option when you throw out a vs poll
Mar 19, 2015 3:26 AM

Jan 2015
moonnya said:
and it will be locked lol
Mar 19, 2015 3:33 AM

Oct 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
7starkiller99 said:
More so, people should be able to respect other people's opinions while disagreeing with them.

Absolutely not. If the person can argue their position logically, then yes you should respect their opinion even if you disagree with them, but few people can actually do that, most merely mouth other people's opinions, and because of this can't actually defend their position.

These people deserve no respect, indeed insulting them is what their fate should be.

Respect should be earned not given, if a person can't defend what they say they believe, then they deserve the respect a parrot should receive (though this unfortunately is an insult to parrots, they at least want to get a cracker, so on that regard they are superior to most humans).

I dunno, if we are confronting meaningless trademark phrases I can't decide between "all opinions are equal" and "respect should be earned not given".
Mar 19, 2015 3:34 AM

Dec 2013
Remv_quevav said:
moonnya said:

Check my poll then
Mar 19, 2015 3:36 AM

Jun 2014
moonnya said:

This. I knew what the results would be like without even clicking on the "view results" link. Putting things like "other" or "neither" tend to distort such surveys so unless absolutely required, they should be excluded. But I'm going to be a hypocrite and say that I don't know. :p
Mar 19, 2015 4:37 AM

Mar 2012
Casuals were like Herbivore animals in the wild.
Elitist were like Carnivore animals in the wild.

Fuck them both.

My Left Sword is a Symbol of Casual Slayer while my Right Sword is a Symbol of Elitist Slayer.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Mar 19, 2015 4:51 AM

Jan 2015
moonnya said:
Remv_quevav said:

Check my poll then
amazing it survived lol
Mar 19, 2015 4:58 AM

Aug 2009
i don't believe anyone is 100% one type
Mar 19, 2015 5:00 AM

Jan 2015
I watch a lot of anime and I usually prefer mainstream anime, then I know that I will never be an elitist. So, I think I am a casual.
Mar 19, 2015 5:10 AM

Oct 2014
As casual there can be.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2015 6:40 AM

Aug 2013
I wouldn't even care about this if people used the range of scores between one and ten to its full potential.
Mar 19, 2015 7:17 AM

Jan 2014
John_h said:
It largely depends on who you're talking to, I suppose. That being said, two options aren't exactly a lot, especially since there's a much wider variety in different attitudes than just those two. I'd definitely think of myself as more of a casual viewer compared to the rest of the userbase on MAL (or more generally: among other fans), yet someone who's not into anime at all would probably say that I'm a die-hard fan for watching anime more or less regularly.
From my own standpoint, I guess neither is really fitting. I haven't watched a lot of anime and I'm not someone who expects some really intellectual and deeply psychological commentary on the nature of human beings out of some Japanese cartoons, but I still watch anime on a regular basis and use MAL to keep track of what I plan to watch and such.
Mar 19, 2015 7:19 AM

Jan 2013
Neither, I am in my own league, which doesn't have a name
Mar 19, 2015 8:14 AM

Apr 2014
Neither.
Mar 19, 2015 8:18 AM

Nov 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
jal90 said:
I dunno, if we are confronting meaningless trademark phrases I can't decide between "all opinions are equal" and "respect should be earned not given".
I don't want to ever have to choose between them.

Luckily I don't.

pls

We all know you and jal90 are the ultimate judges of animu, you give animu your stamps of approval and we deem it as good.

Mar 19, 2015 8:21 AM

Mar 2015
i choose the 4th option : Both
Mar 19, 2015 9:13 AM

Aug 2014
Zergneedsfood said:

Luckily I don't.

If Zergneedsfood is really an elitist, I think I will be scared of people like him/her. Based on my recent stay here in MAL forums, he/she laughed at me even though it was apparent I'm not joking. I think it was not also laughing out of sarcasm or formality, he/she did it to express the derisiveness of my comment.

Unworthy (and sardonic) comment will only be laughed at by elitists, and they will try to make you feel bad, unintentionally as it seems to be. Sorry for voicing out my insides, though I don't mind if you laugh again at me this time. I believe you thought I was trying too hard, but that isn't true at all. So hard for non-native english speaker that only knows either "elementary english", "business english", or "english language in a specialized setting".

I'm really sorry that I cannot use "casual english", but I really think elitists here in MAL are kind of scary.
Mar 19, 2015 9:15 AM

Nov 2014
Haeduans said:
Zergneedsfood said:

Luckily I don't.

If Zergneedsfood is really an elitist, I think I will be scared of people like him/her. Based on my recent stay here in MAL forums, he/she laughed at me even though it was apparent I'm not joking. I think it was not also laughing out of sarcasm or formality, he/she did it to express the derisiveness of my comment.

Unworthy (and sardonic) comment will only be laughed at by elitists, and they will try to make you feel bad, unintentionally as it seems to be. Sorry for voicing out my insides, though I don't mind if you laugh again at me this me. I believe you thought I was trying too hard, but that isn't true at all. So hard for non-native english speaker that only knows either "elementary english", "business english", or "english language in a specialized setting".

I'm really sorry that I cannot use "casual english", but I really think elitists here in MAL are kind of scary.

Zerg's not an elitist though. He's more like a critic.

Mar 19, 2015 9:27 AM

Aug 2008
The word elitist originated from the word 'elite' right? But why associate hardcore anime fan with the word 'elite'? All they ever did is becoming no life loser beta male sitting in front of screen watching anime by downloading the anime ILLEGALLY mostly and insulting others if people like what they don't like.

Nothing elite or honorable about that. Scrap the word elitist. Just call them weaboos/otaku/anime nerd/wapanese will be better. Very pathetic to people feel superior by what anime they like.
ZapredonMar 19, 2015 9:58 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 19, 2015 9:41 AM

Sep 2014
No idea
neither I suppose
Mar 19, 2015 9:47 AM

Jan 2014
I think I'm more of a casual although I really enjoy a lot of shows that are more considered more elitist and have decent compatibility with some known elitists. Maybe I'm slowly transitioning to not having shit taste as I rewatch and rerate shows. I'm also bad at not being critical of my guilty pleasures, some shows I'm overly harsh on and others I just let things slide, no real consistency.

StevenHu said:
I wouldn't even care about this if people used the range of scores between one and ten to its full potential.

I used to be guilty of giving pretty much every show an 8+. Have been trying to rewatch and rerate things but it's going to take a lot of time before I think I can fully use all 10 numbers
gomboMar 19, 2015 9:53 AM
Mar 19, 2015 10:22 AM
Jan 2015
gombo said:
StevenHu said:

I used to be guilty of giving pretty much every show an 8+. Have been trying to rewatch and rerate things but it's going to take a lot of time before I think I can fully use all 10 numbers

I can see how high you rate with your mean score being 7.9 whilst his is 4.5.
"The anime that I have directed posess the same intended effect on my viewers as my interest for kids, where both get fucked." - Akiyuki Shinbo
Mar 19, 2015 10:25 AM

Aug 2014
my scores all between 4 and 10 XD

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 19, 2015 10:35 AM
Oct 2012
jal90 said:

I don't believe we are because not all opinions are equal, though when I say this I mean this in a different way than most people. I will try to give you some examples.

The opinion: "My favorite animation is Pokeman" is a personal declaration, it makes no value judgements outside of the speaker stating their favorite animation. As such this is an opinion that deserves to be respected in so much that people do have the right to state their opinion. I don't have to agree, but I wouldn't sneer at their opinion (which is what many poser elitists do).

The opinion: "The greatest animation of all time is Pokemon" is no longer a personal declaration, it is a value judgement. It puts Pokemon above all other animations. That is an opinion that doesn't deserve to be respected unless the speaker can defend the position.

This is what I mean by all opinions are not equal. Here are two more complex examples:

The opinion: "Pokemon is the greatest animation of all time because it has earned the most money of any animation franchise" (assuming that is the case for the sake of the argument). Now because the opinion is based on a "fact", then the opinion does deserve respect because the speaker has at least given an undeniable reason for stating their position.

Now of course one may disagree with the statement, but the disagreement is no longer about Pokemon, but rather the person's sense of values (that commercial success means total success), and I do not have to respect their sense of values, but I do have to respect their opinion about Pokemon.

The opinion: "Pokemon is the greatest animation of all time because it has the best story and best animation." Since the opinion is based on easily disprovable statements (that one would be hard pressed to find anyone over 12 who would say that demonstrates this), this opinion is not worthy of respect unless the person can argue how Pokemon has the best story and animation.

In examples 2 and 4, the respect is NOT automatic granted, it has to be earned. Example 4 is a good one to explain why respect is not automatic. Let's say someone said that and I responded, "No, the animation is not the best, the frame count is low, the backgrounds are repeated and lack any depth, and the show has little fluidity that one would expect in great animation". Now one can argue that I am wrong, or that this doesn't qualify as what makes animation "Great", but if the other person then says: "that doesn't matter, this is my opinion and all opinions are equal." Well, no they are not. A misguided sense of democracy should not preclude our ability to have discernment and to state that something is better than something else. Now a true elite should be able to explain the difference, posers are those who cannot.
Mar 19, 2015 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
Okiura said:
You cease being casual the day you dig deep enough to watch Rapeman
True True
Mar 19, 2015 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
Neither.
Mar 19, 2015 11:15 AM

Oct 2010
@Takuan_Soho

In your first comparison, both sides sound like value judgements to me. The difference in the wording implies probably that speaker 1 is more aware that their opinion doesn't trascend the tastes of all humanity than 2; but again, that would be a prejudgement based on how agressive "greatest of all time" sounds compared with "my favorite". But it's a matter of attitude in the end and the way to express ideas, speaker 1 and 2 do not differ in their view of the show.

Your second comparison sounds quite unfair, because you are applying your own opinion of the show to "disprove" the basis of the reasoning of speaker 4, and you can't do that with speaker 3: objective facts can't be disproved. So in the case of speaker 3 you have two levels of subjective (dis)agreement ("the animation is great" + "it's good because the animation is great"),while in 4 you have one, the interpretation of the fact ("it's good because *insert proved fact*").

I don't like using "all opinions are equal" as nothing more or less than a logical starting point in any discussion over subjective realities, implying that what I believe is not going to be truer than what you believe and etc. Of course this doesn't mean that it is fruitless to make differences in the way people word their opinions depending on how they explain their points, if they are more understandable and thorough or on the other hand confusing and flat.

However the same applies for "respect deserves to be earned not given". I think that saying this puts me in an unnecessarily high position over other people. Of course I have my standards and have a kind of arguments I'll respect and understand and another kind I will find lazy, stupid or irrelevant. But so does the speaker 1 of your example, and these standards are probably going to be very different than mine; seeing how the logic applied in its post is totally against what I would feel inclined to defend. And the same applies to speaker 2, 3, 4. They are natural answers brought by prejudgements and inclinations, and each has their own. Saying that "respect deserves to be earned" is not a big deal, in the same way as saying "all opinions are equal" isn't.
Mar 19, 2015 11:15 AM

Sep 2014
Neither

Most casuals are dumb.
Elitists are tryhards.
Mar 19, 2015 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Neither, I'm a pimp.
Mar 19, 2015 11:48 AM

Oct 2013
Neither.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Jun 15

62 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
7 seconds ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Jun 14

37 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» I am praising the anime industry in general (a short topic where I'm sharing my personal thoughts).

9765 - Jun 14

18 by Andan210 »»
3 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - 4 hours ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you got a favorite combination of eyes & hair colors?

Zowabo - 11 hours ago

19 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.