Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Mar 8, 2017 7:45 PM

Jul 2008
I'm sure it's been mentioned before but... this is naruto and sasuke plays volleyball.
Jul 24, 2017 10:14 AM

Feb 2013
Finally got around to watching this. Looks great so far.
Sep 30, 2017 6:01 AM

Jan 2013
Holy hell, great start.
Actually had a big smile going during that short match but damn it was good.

Was kinda obvious the anime was leading up to them becoming teammates but didn't know it would already be during the first episode.

Going to have to get used to all the school names aswell.
Nov 5, 2017 9:55 AM

Jun 2016
That was a decent first episode. I liked it. I was cheering for Shouyou's team throughout their match, but the team they're against ain't beginners, and that team apparently has the King of the Court which is Tobio Kageyama, and his new goal is to defeat him. He got into a high school and he's joining the volleyball team, but Kageyama is in that school, too, and yeah it's evident that Kageyama and him will be teammates. Haha.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 19, 2017 3:57 PM
Sep 2017
Ero-Camel said:
I'm sure it's been mentioned before but... this is naruto and sasuke plays volleyball.

I thought the same! Glad I'm not alone :D
Apr 10, 2018 12:11 AM

Jun 2016
This was a fun first episode. The meeting between Hinata and Kageyama was quite melodramatic but not in a bad way. The over dramatization of it was enjoyable.

Hinata saw a volleyball game with the little giant- something he could relate with, got super inspired to play, practiced alone until he could get his close friends to join him, and finally got into a tournament. Queue time skip and he's in high school and has not put off that practice. His competitive nature and mentality to win seems oddly extreme so I hope we understand where that came from. I assume Kageyama's comes from a family pressuring him to do well, his coach looked vaguely like he could be his dad.

Hinata is so charismatic that not only do his friends try their best for his sake, but also the scorers can't help but cheer for him! I thought it was interesting how we got Hinata's team being all about team work, 'don't worry, don't worry', 'I got it next time, sorry!', and Hinata trying his best and how this contrasted Kageyama's. His team, as said by the scorers, was a one man game of Kageyama yelling at his team and trying to control everything- no team work. The detail where Hinata smashed into a wall because he tried so hard to get the ball, and how Kageyama's teammate slowly walked to it and didn't even try giving up in the first place shows this distinction clearly. Direction is already good.

Music and visuals are great too. This seems simple, but fun.
Apr 13, 2018 2:59 PM

Jan 2016
I really liked the part where the MC went for the ball but didn't get it and when his team mate said that there's no way we will beat them so why are you trying so hard. Then the MC said WITH FULL SERIOUSNESS "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY, IT'S NOT OVER YET"!!!!!

DAMN THAT MOMENT WAS REALLY POWERFUL. His eyes in that moment. They were magnetizing and they just drew you in.
Feb 26, 2019 8:02 AM
Dec 2015
I cried this first episode
May 19, 2019 12:43 PM

May 2015
Ok lets go with this anime then. Decent start.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 14, 2019 11:15 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, that was some intriguing start!

Production I.G. definitely weren’t holding back on this one, and that’s always a pleasure! Hinata’s voice is going to need some acclimatising for my part though, lol. Some rough flashbacks there but it’s good to see that he’s got two caring friends at the very least. I really liked the addition of the mid-way between the match and the high school bit with him joining the girls’ team and working out to the max, some commendable stuff for sure. Meanwhile, it seems as though the King is having a hard time dealing with his peers thanks to his attitude, really liked the realism in that can-do attitudes there!

Anyway, it seems as though Fate has paired the rivals up now. Lol, surely an eventful high school life and 3 seasons awaits, definitely in for the ride now! Got to say though, that bit with the dead-pan serious eyes “we haven’t lose yet” bit followed by that crazy dedicated display of excellence definitely gave me chills, just how serious is he yikes.

Op and ED seem fairly good and the soundtrack so far pretty darn good. Animation, as I hinted above, is pretty awesome too when it matters. Comedy so far isn’t exactly hitting home just yet but here’s to hoping it improves over time.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 30, 2019 12:41 PM

Dec 2014
Haikyuu...givng a chance to sport anime for once
Jan 24, 2020 5:07 AM

Jul 2013
I'm not really into volleyball so I kinda ignored this show for the last 6 years. But I got really curious when I saw how high this show's score is here in MAL and after seeing it so much in Netflix I decided to give it a try. It's 2020 now and there's already a 5th season I think. This will be a long ride.
Jan 26, 2020 2:15 PM

Aug 2017
Hinata is not useless or annoying. good.

Much better than I expected.

4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 15, 2020 10:24 PM

Dec 2019
Nice first episode, im expecting a lot from this anime, always love to see a well made sports anime plus its my first with volley ball !
                                                         🖤   

Mar 24, 2020 1:14 PM

Sep 2018
I put this anime off for a loooong time because A) I don't like sports anime and B) the fandom is literal garbage... I might actually like this anime and I find that as a big shocker. This anime was plastered alll over social media and I thought it would be bad since Seraph of the end is hyped up too and that anime is no more than a 6/10. Im glad I decided to watch this anime :)
May 14, 2020 8:20 AM

Feb 2017

"Someone who can't even keep themselves healthy shouldn't act so high and mighty."

Jun 8, 2020 10:05 AM

May 2018
Finally I start watching Haikyuu. Obviously Junior high Shou's team stands no chance against the national team
Sep 18, 2020 10:38 PM

Jul 2020
Welp, I guess it twas' about time I start this anime...

4/5 for the 1st episode, have a bit of high expectations for this...
Sep 21, 2020 2:53 AM

Feb 2019
I think its a great story concept, but I don't like the way the artists keep putting black lines under the characters chins.

Great volleyball match though.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Oct 29, 2020 2:37 AM
Aug 2020
I know I'm sooo late to the party, but I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did! I love playing volleyball for fun but never thought I'd enjoy watching an anime about it. Two minutes into the series and I was already in love with the main characters. Shoyo's tenacity is kind of intense but cute, and it was really touching that his friends decided to hang in there with him even though they were losing badly. Also, love the rivalry between him and Kageyama.

Unu5ual said:
I think its a great story concept, but I don't like the way the artists keep putting black lines under the characters chins.

Great volleyball match though.

I noticed this in the opening and thought "What the heck?" Glad I'm not the only one that's bothered by it, lol.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenFeb 3, 2021 3:14 PM
Feb 3, 2021 2:51 AM
Jul 2018

The start of a pretty good series :D
I CAN'T WAIT FOR WHAT'S NEXT
Feb 3, 2021 2:50 PM

Mar 2019
Time to watch Haikyuu. The first episode felt so refreshing. Kageyama already looking like a great character and same with Hinata. That jump he made looked so good. Also the opening is great!
Alex_TheForestJan 6, 2023 12:43 PM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Feb 16, 2021 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
i really enjoyed this episode
and yet being Rivals , Hinata and Kageyama are in the same high school in the SAME CLUB
whats gonna happen nowww??!
Apr 5, 2021 8:17 AM
Mar 2021
I am rewatching the series and when Kageyama said "What have you been doing for the past three years" I don't think he was trying to insult Shoyo. I think that he was saying how he has a lot of potential and seemingly did nothing with it. Obviously, Kageyama is a very strong setter but his problem is that he doesn't work well with the team and can't adapt to other people's skill level.
Aug 1, 2021 2:36 AM

Dec 2010
That's a nice starter, let's see where this goes. I was genuinely hoping that the King would end up in the same team as the MC, having to chase the guy to a predetermined match in the finals would have felt trite.
Aug 25, 2021 2:57 PM

Oct 2020
At first it didn't seemed that good but MAN!!!

This is amazing! Specially I liked how the story turned. I had a feel but looks like this is going to be as I thought. Though, I need to watch the next episodes because I think that it will surprise me more !!!
Oct 11, 2021 3:25 AM
Oct 2021
Good anime i love it
Oct 15, 2021 2:40 PM

Jul 2021
Finally got around to watching this, never realised it's been out since 2014 lmao
Either way decent first episode, not really a fan of the artstyle though. Just feels like it's missing something. However do love that they included the sound of their trainers squeaking on the floor.
Feb 5, 2022 7:22 AM

Dec 2020
Good first episode. Loved it. The animation is amazing.
Also, I don't think Kageyama was trying to insult Shoyo there. When he asked him what he was doing for the past 3 years. I think he meant that Shoyo has a lot of potential and could have joined a school with a proper team.
Feb 5, 2022 7:24 AM

Dec 2020
selenia13 said:
I am rewatching the series and when Kageyama said "What have you been doing for the past three years" I don't think he was trying to insult Shoyo. I think that he was saying how he has a lot of potential and seemingly did nothing with it. Obviously, Kageyama is a very strong setter but his problem is that he doesn't work well with the team and can't adapt to other people's skill level.

Agreed. This is my first time watching but I thought the same thing. What Kageyama meant was that Shoyo has a lot of potential and should have joined a school with a better team.
Feb 6, 2022 3:04 PM

Dec 2007
really like how shou though to have kinda delicate voice to have stubborn personality.

the animation was really flawed nicely.

and though the opening "spoiled' that shou and that "king" going to play together, that episode end surprisingly done for he wanted so much to beat him rather than team up with him lol.

oh and i loved very much the simple setting, really smoothing things out compare to some other bombast sport anime (for some reason kuroko no basket coming to my head. probably because the same production company lol)
Jun 19, 2022 3:50 AM

Apr 2020
First episode and I’m already really liking this! Can’t wait to see where this series goes!
Jun 28, 2022 3:53 PM

Sep 2017
Lol pretty drama first ep in a kinda goofy way. Kageyama has got to be the most crooked junior high kid in anime.
Jul 22, 2022 11:09 AM
Jan 2021
I decided to watch the first episode because someone on the site recommended this if you've seem Ahiru No Sora, and I initially thought that I wouldn't like it because I'm not a volleyball guy.

But then once I saw the match between Kitagawa First and Yukigaoka, I could feel the pain of Hinata's loss because as a basketball player and overall competitor, I know the bitter taste of defeat and the desire to strive for the win. It's through one's failures that they truly show their colors. Whether they give up or push even harder.

With that I'm definitely continuing the series. It was quite shocking to see that Kageyama and Hinata are both attending Miyagi Prefectural Kurusuno High School!

I guess that revenge will have to wait.
Jul 23, 2022 3:01 PM
Jul 2022
Hi everybody ! I just released my first AMV and I would like to have opinions to improve myself!

Here is the link : https://youtu.be/ELJd9CCjpeI
Aug 25, 2022 3:05 AM
Aug 2022
pra começar minha carreira oficial em assistir animes, já estamos muito bem.
Aug 31, 2022 6:03 AM
Nov 2021
Funny to watch and great art style
Oct 21, 2022 11:04 AM

Aug 2021
sports anime isn't typically a genre i enjoy but i think this has a chance to be an exception. it's definitely a bit melodramatic but other than that it looks promising.
Oct 27, 2022 5:20 AM
Dec 2020
Muito bom, animação fluida.
Nov 2, 2022 9:43 AM
Nov 2022
I LOVED IT!!!!!!!
Nov 5, 2022 8:56 AM

Oct 2018
Very solid introductory episode.
Dec 7, 2022 12:17 PM

Feb 2018
Was recommended this by a secret santa(not mal one).
I've never been much for sports anime, which is why I never really started this on my own.
A pretty good first impression from the first episode.
Dec 13, 2022 1:30 AM
Sep 2021
i think they r gay tbh
Dec 14, 2022 12:22 PM
Mar 2020
good introduction to the story, with some sentimentalism put into it.
Apr 21, 2023 9:47 AM
Apr 2023
its good, i liked it
May 4, 2023 11:07 AM
Apr 2023
i have no idea what's happening 😭 every time i thought he was gonna land a hit, he failed miserably but it was enjoyable! wish his teammates actually did something
Jun 19, 2023 5:18 AM
Feb 2020
güzeldi beğendim
Jul 30, 2023 7:44 AM
Jul 2023
I thought it was pretty good overall. There were some parts where things seemed a little slow paced, but other than that, I enjoyed it quite a lot. I especially loved the characters - they felt very relatable and realistic. And even though there wasn't too much plot happening at this stage, I still found myself invested enough to keep wanting more. Overall, I'd say it's worth checking out!
Dec 17, 2023 1:30 PM
Dec 2023
The part where he started crying was kinda goofy LOL but I think i'm gonna like this anime!
Jan 12, 2:37 PM
Nov 2022
Faut vraiment se tailler les veines pour regarder cette anime en entier c'est pas possible
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

326 by SengokuSeju »»
Yesterday, 1:46 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2014

143 by Sarsmita »»
May 23, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.