Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 8, 2015 9:36 AM

Dec 2013
HazukashiiDesu said:
Seems like a mix of the 2 shittiest shows of last season: Bahamut and Madan no Ou but surprisingly this one is enjoyable.

Again a decent show rated retardingly low. #2400 rly? The same was with Donten ni Warau last season until it jumped to #1100 in the end.

Stop spreading heresies.
Jan 8, 2015 12:22 PM
Jul 2010
Ok, so what's up with those other witches or succubus doing on the sides?
yeo
Jan 8, 2015 7:05 PM

Aug 2014
Ugh xD This episode honestly put so many smiles on my face and felt relaxing to watch.
I love Anne, she's probably the cutest little thing ever.
Jan 8, 2015 9:50 PM

Dec 2013
Impressive first episode, looking forward to the next one.
Jan 8, 2015 10:36 PM

Dec 2013
Really interesting...the best i've seen from this season so far
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 8, 2015 10:37 PM

Jan 2014
MgMaster said:
A virgin witch eh? Where's Geralt of Rivia when you need him. After all, witchers solve problems - not always with a sword.

top lol
Jan 9, 2015 12:22 AM

Dec 2007
Digitalcommunist said:
MgMaster said:
A virgin witch eh? Where's Geralt of Rivia when you need him. After all, witchers solve problems - not always with a sword.

top lol

Oh god, only now I understood this masterful joke better.
Jan 9, 2015 12:27 AM

Sep 2013
First part was *enh*.

Loved the war part - dunno why but seemed realistic and was able to transmit the absurdity of war.

Music and art are pretty amazing.
Once an alt always an alt! | ( ˇ෴ˇ ) | I ♥ Music
Jan 9, 2015 1:13 AM

Dec 2012
Mugen900 said:

It was a kind of surprising, because they appeared a lot later in the manga, iirc, but actually, they are working girls. As the episode says - they are paid and sent to do stuff either by disrupting the enemy's ... moralse or boost the vigor of the side that paid for their services. The moralse thing, witches can do themselves or employ familiars, like Maria's Artemis (who is a succubus) :)
Jan 9, 2015 1:19 AM

Dec 2014
Another Medieval-ish type of anime eh? Good, good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 1:27 AM

Nov 2012
Was one of my more hyped series this season (though that doesn't say much). It was very watchable despite not much happening. I guess the director Taniguchi Goro is great at making something out of nothing as he did with Planetes. Wasn't as funny as I had hoped, but it looks like with the ending of this episode, the show is going to go straight into the gags. Looking forward to this one!
Jan 9, 2015 1:48 AM

Oct 2008
man fuck that fanservice and those sex jokes. taniguchi takes like a 6 year break from tv anime and comes back with this? mind you, it could improve. but the succubus outfit does this show zero favors.
Jan 9, 2015 3:34 AM

Dec 2012
First series so far this season that I won't outright drop, let's see what it does next. Hopefully they won't take the ecchi too far, since it doesn't need at all.
Jan 9, 2015 6:31 AM

Dec 2013
Decent start to the show. We get a virgin witch who "Thinks" that she can just up and lose her virginity whenever she want. I can't wait to see what happens when she gets the ultimatum from the Archangel next episode. XDDDDD

And seriously, her dragon was cute as heck. I want one too!!!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 9, 2015 12:35 PM

Aug 2014
- i'm not a big fan of these olden era anime, but we'll see
- art could be better
- female protagonist can be a hit or miss; will need more episodes to evaluate
- the VA for Maria is ear-friendly at least
- Maria's owl buddy in the running for best character so far
- this "war" aspect seems so...stupid?
- ED is nothing special

hopefully the ecchi+jokes do well enough to offset the serious tones of the anime because the "serious-ness" is a bit eye-roll worthy.

will probably watch a few more episodes for Maria + her owl buddy.
Jan 9, 2015 1:11 PM

Jun 2014
We have Saint Mary's protection !! Gets shot in the back with an arrow.

Jan 9, 2015 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
Nicely animated. This anime could become very engaging.
Jan 9, 2015 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
zellami said:
Mugen900 said:

It was a kind of surprising, because they appeared a lot later in the manga, iirc, but actually, they are working girls. As the episode says - they are paid and sent to do stuff either by disrupting the enemy's ... moralse or boost the vigor of the side that paid for their services. The moralse thing, witches can do themselves or employ familiars, like Maria's Artemis (who is a succubus) :)

Succubi are great for morale.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 9, 2015 4:40 PM

Oct 2013
How can she be from the Anglican church?! Anglican church wasn't established until almost a century after the Hundred Years' War's end.....

In any case this was a surprisingly good episode and was way above my expectations.
I am a human.
Jan 9, 2015 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Really excited to see an anime with medieval warfare in it at all, even with all the crazy outfits.

AppoX said:
How can she be from the Anglican church?!

Yeah this is pretty dumb when Henry the 8th isn't even a thing yet. Maybe it's some slightly alternate reality where England had a fallout with the church much earlier but naturally used the same name for their branch of faith.

That's probably not it at all, but i'll roll with it if the rest of the anime remains entertaining.
Jan 9, 2015 7:31 PM
Dec 2008
AppoX said:
How can she be from the Anglican church?! Anglican church wasn't established until almost a century after the Hundred Years' War's end.....

In any case this was a surprisingly good episode and was way above my expectations.

Berzin said:
Yeah this is pretty dumb when Henry the 8th isn't even a thing yet. Maybe it's some slightly alternate reality where England had a fallout with the church much earlier but naturally used the same name for their branch of faith.

That's probably not it at all, but i'll roll with it if the rest of the anime remains entertaining.

Here's a helpful bit of information for both of you: the current English subs were improvised and aren't well translated nor well written.

Most of the simple parts are okay, but the mistakes make certain things unclear and confusing like that.

Don't read too much into anything until the official English translation comes out this Sunday. Then it should be easier to understand what was actually said, rather than relying on what were essentially "speed" subs released by one fan out of impatience.
MadonisJan 9, 2015 7:34 PM
Jan 10, 2015 1:35 AM

Jan 2010
I love the entree of this series! xD

Jan 10, 2015 1:56 AM

Dec 2012
QuattroVaginas said:
zellami said:

Succubi are great for morale.

Especially if one skips a battle or two and stay wasted in bed instead ^^
Jan 10, 2015 5:14 AM

Dec 2014
Decent first episode. I hope this show would get better.
Jan 10, 2015 5:15 AM

Feb 2011
Madonis said:
AppoX said:

Berzin said:

Here's a helpful bit of information for both of you: the current English subs were improvised and aren't well translated nor well written.

Most of the simple parts are okay, but the mistakes make certain things unclear and confusing like that.

Don't read too much into anything until the official English translation comes out this Sunday. Then it should be easier to understand what was actually said, rather than relying on what were essentially "speed" subs released by one fan out of impatience.

Let's not forget that it's fictional, the story will probably not follow the real events of the Hundred Year's War.

Good episode.
Jan 10, 2015 8:00 AM

Aug 2014
Just for second I thought Maria was an oba-san... omg!
She more attractive than imagined. With her red bat she could let me impressed with that invocation a big blue dragon appeared... that part was very exciting! :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 10, 2015 8:11 PM

May 2013
Other than the abysmal subs this was pretty good. It's really refreshing to see some sexual humor in anime that's actually clever and funny, as opposed to the bare minimum cookie cutter scripts that function only as a means to get to the fanservice. The fact that this was also surprisingly light on said fanservice gets my hopes up even higher.

The pedigree is all here: a solid source material, a great director, and one of the top studios in the business.

EDIT: Apparently there are going to be better subs tomorrow! Yaaaaay, thanks Funimation! That'll teach me to watch something before it's supposed to be released.
StarmacJan 10, 2015 8:18 PM
Jan 11, 2015 12:11 AM

Dec 2014
Just finished the movie Whiplash and it's fantastic, 8/10, might as well finish the pre air while I'm in good mood.

Forget about historic accuracy, that is not the first thing comes into anyone's mind in anime, as long as it's not insulting and keep the story going it's acceptable. They even have a character mentioned honorific title in a conversation, still would like the show at least be self aware.

Didn't know much about the author, but according to twitter he disagreed with the decisions made by the production team. Apparently everyone on the internet is on director Goro Taniguchi's side because he is more famous than the author so yah, fame does make a different. The writer Hideyuki Kurata has not been selective with his works in recent years, it's like he will do anything including some of the worst in the industry, but if you stay long enough eventually you will get one good shit out of the pile.

The pre air is fine, it has potential but not amazing, the team up of those two since GunXSword is already enough to keep me interested.
Jan 11, 2015 5:58 AM

Jul 2012
Maria is an interesting witch to say the least. This will be an enjoyable watch.

Great episode!!!
Jan 11, 2015 6:03 AM

Jul 2011
I want to watch this show because of the cast and I love Medieval thing so I watch it. So far, I like it. But I'm afraid of the word "Ecchi". I hope they don't overdo the ecchi thing here. So, how ecchi is the series(manga)?

The animation is so cool too! So, I think the ecchi thing will ruined it if they overdo it. I'm also worried about the religion part. Kinda predicting the future of this show. Anyway, I'm not a Catholic. So its okay. :3
Jan 11, 2015 6:47 AM

Jun 2012
D-Joe said:
Very nice first episode and match my high expectation

Kodansha treat their manga adaption really well recently, Attack on Titan, Witch Craft Works, Sidonia, Seven Deadly Sins, and now this

Kodansha is not that good... Attack on Titan awesome but dragged has hell. Seven Deadly Sins is rushed and has cuts on plot development. Sidonia = CGI shit, manga has awesome art work but they didn't even tried...
Jan 11, 2015 8:28 AM

Jul 2009
Jan 11, 2015 8:40 AM

Jun 2014
I heard it's a show for horny bastards :) - Haven't seen too much of it yet.

I liked the preview of the next episode.
Jan 11, 2015 8:42 AM

Feb 2013
longbowmen...macemen...lancers...
i want to play Medieval 2 Total War
Jan 11, 2015 9:00 AM

Apr 2013
went into this with no expectations.

fantastic.

production qualities are high, animation is fluid, soundtrack is great, characters are likable, the historical setting is great, like the character designs

sad that the manga is short and this will only be 12 episodes :(

AOTS material
xSanoxJan 11, 2015 9:05 AM
Jan 11, 2015 9:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
5/5
Jan 11, 2015 9:16 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty solid first episode. The battle was really well done and I'm looking forward to more of the show.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 11, 2015 9:18 AM
Oct 2012
Wow that was fun, loved the Joan of Arc rant. Though of course Joan was burnt by the English and canonized by the French, so not exactly contradictory.

The sexual humor was funny this episode, and it tied the episode together nicely: Artemis joke at the beginning, Maria still puzzling over it when she was taking her bath right before the break, and Artemis getting that Maria was interested in it at the end.

Like kinetic shows, and this is definitely that. Want to see more about the other witches. The lord and the professional mercenary grumbling about being able to get more gold was fun, that will set up the conflict between them and the Church against Maria later. The battle really drives home the point of what the express "canon fodder" means.

So on to next week, fortunately I came to this late, so I don't have to wait long until the next episode.
Jan 11, 2015 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
A good first episode, the art is beautiful :).
Jan 11, 2015 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
Meh. Nothing special about it. It's not bad, not good. Don't much like Maria's character design. Something about the way she looks just bugs me for some reason.
Jan 11, 2015 9:52 AM
May 2014
This has potential, it's at least more original than the hundreds of trashy harem garbage that are plaguing this season. I felt like the pacing was a bit fast but it's to be expected from the director of Planetes. The soundtrack wasn't incredible or anything but I felt that it fit well and managed to do a nice job at supporting each scene. The setting is what makes this really intersting as well as the accurate protrayal of war back in time. Throw in a virgin witch who loses her power from having sex for the first time as the main character and we got some really eye catching stuff. Good first episode.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jan 11, 2015 10:01 AM
Dec 2014
I liked the battle between the two armies, particularly when they finally got closer on each other and had to spar with spears.

Witches looks damn sexy.
Jan 11, 2015 10:04 AM

Dec 2013
Wow.. this is actually really good!

Wtf surprised me.

Man the sexual innuendoes are real... man... lol dang...

I want to be Maria's friend too!!! Shes so innocent >.<

Man the killings go down so easily... everyone that dies gets no reaction from anyone, i guess thats just what its like in a war...

Even though, wow Maria... i wish i was that guy to kiss her hand. Her friend tho... got nice body but... not so innocent.

5/5 will definitely continue watching this series. The title must've been off-putting for a lot of people but its actually great!
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jan 11, 2015 10:14 AM

Apr 2013
Great first episode xD

Jan 11, 2015 10:36 AM

Sep 2014
Found it by accident. I love this medieval/historic genre and it seems to have a interesting plot. I will keep watching and I hope this don't get too echi.
Vide cor Meum
Jan 11, 2015 11:32 AM
Aug 2012
Blowjobs. Tis all.

8/10 Would bang again.
Jan 11, 2015 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode.

Maria is thinking a lot about from a kiss on a hand.

Lol @ what Maria said at the end.
Jan 11, 2015 12:13 PM

Nov 2013
lol, pretty decent first episode, I liked the humour :P

They actually did a little animated battle too, quite impressive. I wasn't even going to pick this up so I'm a happy bunny.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 11, 2015 12:46 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I wasn't planning on watching this until I read Goro Taniguchi was directing and it had a medieval setting. Not a mindblowing first episode but it was enjoyable enough to keep it on my to watch list.

The ecchi took me a bit by surprise though. The "my jaw hurts" joke was completely out of the blue. It's the kind of line I expect to hear in Hen Zemi, not an anime about a cute little witch.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 11, 2015 1:12 PM

Mar 2008
the animation and voice acting were on point. as for the the pace and editing, they were pretty weird and the fanservice didn't really help. they could have given us more context imo. cool first ep, but messy.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

194 by gswelcome »»
Sep 6, 3:50 PM

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.