Forum Settings
Forums

Winners of the 2014 Tokyo Anime Awards Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 25, 2014 6:00 AM

Jan 2013
Dat Shingeki no Kyojin staf .
Mar 25, 2014 6:09 AM

Jul 2013
Not that suprising ahaha
No one knows what the future holds. That’s why its potential is infinite.

- Okabe Rintarou
Mar 25, 2014 6:16 AM

Aug 2013
Good to see madoka magica doing well and i am no supprised that attack on titan stole mostly all the awards :P
Mar 25, 2014 6:47 AM

Jun 2010
Nice to see Kimi no Iru Machi up there. You know despite all the hate the series gets, it is actually not that bad of a series.
Mar 25, 2014 8:29 AM

Jul 2010
BigSimo said:
ChrnoTodd said:

"Animation of the Year
Kaze Tachinu (Film)"

No. JUTS NO.

uh huh, and what is your alternative? I can't think of a better anime film from last year...

Gintama Movie and Kotonoha no Niwa.We talk about tastes here tho, so ofc people can either agree or disagree with this...
Mar 25, 2014 9:03 AM

Sep 2008
Yeah! For Uchuu Kyoudai!
Nice to see it there :D
Really this anime needs more love!

Shingeki no Kyojin!
Hope this means soon there will be second season *.*
Mar 25, 2014 9:17 AM

Nov 2008
this list was so obvious that it was kinda boring
Mar 25, 2014 9:27 AM

Nov 2013
tsubasalover said:

Individual Awards
Best Director: Tetsurou Araki (Shingeki no Kyojin)
Best Screenplay: Yasuko Kobayashi (Shingeki no Kyojin), Reiko Yoshida (Kimi no Iru Machi)
Best Character Designer, Mecha Design: Sushio (Kill la Kill)

Source: Anime of the Year, Individual

What the actual F. Are these really Best awards?
Mar 25, 2014 9:57 AM

Jul 2011
xEWEx said:
msnhao said:
How did Shingeki no Kyojin, with its dragging out unnecessary scenes, beat Masoka Magica?
That movie was shame for Madoka Magica series. It didn't have actual story, it was just about fanservice and that movie if anything had unnecessary scenes.

I think you need to re-watch the whole thing if you think the third movie 'didn't have actual story'. I'm sure it's obvious as day and night that there're lots of events that happened in the movie, so stop spouting nonsense just because you hate the movie.

Also, anyone know what is the criteria for winning the 'Animation of the year' because if animation quality (and screenplay + direction as well) is the indicator for the winner then there's no way in hell Snk is able to beat Madoka imo.
dreznovkMar 25, 2014 10:11 AM
Mar 25, 2014 10:06 AM
May 2012
I think that Kimi no Iru Machi and Shingeki no Kyojin deserves the awards.
I still haven't watched Kaze Tachinu, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Uchuu Kyoudai, and Kill la Kill yet, so I wouldn't know, but I will watch them sooner or later when I have the time.
What?!?!?! Anno Hideaki is the one who voiced Jirou Horikoshi from Kaze Tachinu???
Well, congratulations to them ^^
Mar 25, 2014 10:09 AM

Jul 2011
iLostReason said:
BigSimo said:
ChrnoTodd said:

"Animation of the Year
Kaze Tachinu (Film)"

No. JUTS NO.

uh huh, and what is your alternative? I can't think of a better anime film from last year...

Gintama Movie and Kotonoha no Niwa.We talk about tastes here tho, so ofc people can either agree or disagree with this...

Disagreed there. Haven't watched Kaze Tochinu, but even an average Ghlbi film would be better than those two. I can't think of a better alternative either. Kotonoha no Niwa needs some award for animation though.

tsubasalover said:

Runners-Up
Uchuu Kyoudai (Television)

This. <3

Lots of SnK and Kaze Tachinu, go figure. But I think SnK's director did a good job with bringing the action to life. Music was good too.
Well, whether they deserve the (other) awards or not, congratulations! :D
MirorinMar 25, 2014 10:16 AM
Mar 25, 2014 11:05 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah Shingeki won most of the awards way to go ^^ lmao at the haters hahaha u haters u sore losers. Shingeki is the best
Mar 25, 2014 11:33 AM

Dec 2013
xd lol 1!1!1!1!1!!!1!!
Beta never gives up
Never hide, Never be discouraged
Never accept friendzone
Mar 25, 2014 12:07 PM

May 2008
Even if a lot of us don't believe Shingeki no Kyojin deserved all of those awards, you have to admit that the show had strong marketing at the right time, managed to take Isayama's amateurish art style to turn it into visually appealing character designs as well as beautifully animate the Trost arc. Yes, it may not be as good as the hype claims it to be, but it still managed to make it to the top in popularity with all that was against it. It became insanely popular in both Japan AND the United States. That doesn't happen very often (only with the big three Shonen Jump series.)

I'm pretty disappointed myself that some of my favorites of the 2013/14 seasons (Log Horizon, Kyousogiga and Gatchaman Crowds) got nothing, but hey, they didn't make it big. That's life.
Mar 25, 2014 1:05 PM

Jun 2013
VanishingKira said:
So basically Shingeki and Kaze Tachinu won everything
If you feel attacked, you're part of the problem.

Even if things are painful and tough, people should appreciate what it means to be alive at all. — Yato
Mar 25, 2014 1:28 PM
Jul 2012
Valaskjalf said:
Jakerams said:
I don't find SnK bad like most of the people I just don't think it deserves everything it gets when it's a rip off of muv luv alternative visual novel even if the author admitted to it being inspired by MLA the fans are making SnK into too much of a success that visual novels don't reach no matter the quality. I guess I'll try Space brothers sometime soon.

lol, human trying to survive against monsters is not something MLA created.
If you ever read MLA about 78% of SnK copied the scenarios in some way.
Mar 25, 2014 2:22 PM

Aug 2008
This news is submitted so late.

As I said in another website, I don't agree with many of the prize here. Actually, there is only Uchuu Kyoudai which I wholeheartedly agree but then, I would even put Uchuu Kyoudai as number 1 and that would have been for last year award. But my biggest concern here is Hideaki Anno. His voice felt so monotone, and when every character sounded really real, only he as his character felt really unnatural to me. To think that there are many seiyuu who worked very hard to get acknowledges... Anyway, it's been a few year I don't think highly of any anime/seiyuu award, I just don't know what this award means to japanese, but I don't think they even tried to be fair.
Mar 25, 2014 2:47 PM

Oct 2007
As usual, only the Runners-Up mean anything because awards go to cool guys in the industry.

tsubasalover said:
Best Screenplay: Kimi no Iru Machi
Oh wow.

Cupquake said:
msnhao said:
How did Shingeki no Kyojin, with its dragging out unnecessary scenes, beat Masoka Magica?

Didn't Madoka's 3rd movie also get a lot of hate?
90% of hate comes from people who haven't even watched it and simply get mad at spoilers. Or get mad at spoilers first and then watch it with the attitude "I wonder how bad it is". Unsurprisingly, they don't like it then.
Mar 25, 2014 2:55 PM

Sep 2012
The hype machine strikes again. While not bad, I didn't find both SnK and Kaze Tachinu to be outstanding.

But anyway, I'm glad for Uchuu Kyoudai. Feels so moon!
Mar 25, 2014 2:59 PM

Oct 2013
Jakerams said:
Valaskjalf said:
Jakerams said:
I don't find SnK bad like most of the people I just don't think it deserves everything it gets when it's a rip off of muv luv alternative visual novel even if the author admitted to it being inspired by MLA the fans are making SnK into too much of a success that visual novels don't reach no matter the quality. I guess I'll try Space brothers sometime soon.

Your point? No anime is 100% Original. I can understand if you don't think it deserve these awards, but to talk about snk copying muv luv as a excuse to why it shouldn't get any award is ridiculous. Muv luv isn't even that good btw, and I've read all the manga to it. So Isayama did a great job for his series.
Mar 25, 2014 3:03 PM
Mar 2011
well this award is now wortless
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 25, 2014 3:30 PM

Oct 2007
keragamming said:
Muv luv isn't even that good btw, and I've read all the manga to it. So Isayama did a great job for his series.
Behold, an expert has spoken.
Mar 25, 2014 3:36 PM

Jul 2012
tsubasalover said:

Best Character Designer, Mecha Design: Sushio

Sigh...The guy who made the Valvrave mecha design deserves that one
הלב שלי כבר מת
Mar 25, 2014 3:36 PM

Apr 2011
HELL YES!!!
Shingeki no Kyojin FTW!!!
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Mar 25, 2014 3:40 PM

Jul 2013
can't deny that hiroyuki sawano deserved to win for best music.

was this an award show based on popularity?

then again, attack on titan probably won majority of the awards since it didn't have much competition in 2013 (maybe monogatari 2nd season though)
Mar 25, 2014 4:03 PM
Jul 2012
keragamming said:
Jakerams said:
Valaskjalf said:
Jakerams said:

Your point? No anime is 100% Original. I can understand if you don't think it deserve these awards, but to talk about snk copying muv luv as a excuse to why it shouldn't get any award is ridiculous. Muv luv isn't even that good btw, and I've read all the manga to it. So Isayama did a great job for his series.
If you think a manga adaption of a visual novel which is incomparably better developed with over 60hrs of text represents the series then you are wrong. In this case I don't thin Shingeki is bad it's more of fact that anime/manga are more popular than visual novels. Shingeki is good just it really shouldn't have all of this so overall I blame the anime/manga fanbase and congratulate the guy for the rewards.
Mar 25, 2014 4:23 PM

Jan 2012
I guess that's all kl really had to it really...cool designs
can't say i'm surprised about snk
Mar 25, 2014 4:34 PM

Dec 2012
Congrats to AoT, those awards are well deserved.
Mar 25, 2014 4:45 PM

Aug 2010
SNK FTW.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 25, 2014 4:47 PM
Dec 2013
AoT wins everything so this isn't a surprise.
Mar 25, 2014 5:47 PM

Jul 2009
SetsukoHara said:
The hype machine strikes again. While not bad, I didn't find both SnK and Kaze Tachinu to be outstanding.

This.
Mar 25, 2014 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
Jonny_Mhl said:
SetsukoHara said:

This.

^
Mar 25, 2014 6:56 PM

Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
Jonny_Mhl said:
SetsukoHara said:

This.

^

Even after 6 month, the hype is still going strong. XD
Mar 25, 2014 10:36 PM

Nov 2012
Can't say I didn't expect this...SnK is still raking recognition left and right.

Space Bros huh? I might have to pull it out of my back burner sometime.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 26, 2014 3:24 AM

Nov 2010
Jakerams said:
keragamming said:
Jakerams said:
Valaskjalf said:
Jakerams said:

If you think a manga adaption of a visual novel which is incomparably better developed with over 60hrs of text represents the series then you are wrong. In this case I don't thin Shingeki is bad it's more of fact that anime/manga are more popular than visual novels. Shingeki is good just it really shouldn't have all of this so overall I blame the anime/manga fanbase and congratulate the guy for the rewards.

I do know that SnK is inspired by MLA, but calling it "ripped off" MLA is stretching things too far.

Yeah sure, it has a lot of similar things but they are really different in some very important aspects. Their style of character development is the main point of difference. While the main of MLA constantly developing along with the events, SNK characters were kind of set in the stone from the very beginning. We rarely able to know what's happening in their heads while in MLA sometimes it was told too much. MLA is much more character oriented than SnK, which is relying too much on shock factor alone.

As for the award itself, I found Hideaki Anno for the best voice actor is the strangest award that I have seen. While I know that the character that he voiced is unique, his whole voiceworks just felt strange and kinda amateurish. Glad it suits better when the character gets older though.
Mar 26, 2014 11:37 AM

Oct 2013
NarTaco said:

Your avatar pic, matches what you just said perfectly. XD
Mar 26, 2014 6:30 PM

Apr 2011
Jakerams said:
Valaskjalf said:
Jakerams said:

I did and like I said the only thing they have similar is the fact humans are struggling to survive against monsters. Everything else is completely different.

Maybe you are referring to the last arc in the anime where they are trying to invade the titan's territory ? I can see the similarities but if you didn't expect them to do that eventually then you are dumb... they are in war it must happen one day or another.

what's with the random 78% number ? lol
ValaskjalfMar 26, 2014 6:34 PM
Mar 26, 2014 6:45 PM
Mar 2009
Kimi no Iru Machi actually won something...?

Confirmed: Seo's troll powers transcend his work and affect reality
Mar 27, 2014 10:11 AM

Apr 2010
Dat Hideaki Anno lol

Agree that AoT is way overhyped. The only thing it really deserved was the music award, and I still gotta say Aot is not Sawano's best work (that honor still belongs to Guilty Crown).

Since the nominees didn't have to be anime that started in 2013 (as evidenced by Space Bros. entry) I have to ask HOW THE HELL did Psycho-Pass not get considered for anything at all.
Mar 27, 2014 10:16 AM
Oct 2010
Does the wind rises have an original story? From what I gather about it, it was based on another story, although loosely.
Mar 27, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2013
AICW said:
Dat Hideaki Anno lol

Agree that AoT is way overhyped. The only thing it really deserved was the music award, and I still gotta say Aot is not Sawano's best work (that honor still belongs to Guilty Crown).

Since the nominees didn't have to be anime that started in 2013 (as evidenced by Space Bros. entry) I have to ask HOW THE HELL did Psycho-Pass not get considered for anything at all.

You forgot to put in your opinion at the end.
Mar 27, 2014 3:58 PM

Jun 2013
There's a lot's of Shingeki no Kyojin winners, Cool! ^^
Mar 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
No surprise that AOT won, t'was a great anime.
Mar 28, 2014 10:56 PM

Apr 2010
AoT still winning, yay!
Apr 13, 2014 3:24 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
NarTaco said:

Your avatar pic, matches what you just said perfectly. XD

heuheuhue
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 18, 2014 8:38 AM

Jan 2014
msnhao said:

Maybe I didn't quite dislike those unnecessary scenes. I know it tends to drag out the show a lot, and it's understandable to dislike or hate those scenes, but it just shows how good the show really was in the scenes that count. I loved the parts where the suspense builds and builds and then... it's released. It's easy to hate on a show that has a lot of good points and then some bad ones. Maybe I just developed a high tolerance from watching a lot of shows, too. To each their own.
Apr 18, 2014 9:03 AM

Nov 2012
So the Award Show just went with whatever's popular.
Kinda reminds me of the Grammys.
Apr 19, 2014 8:31 PM

Mar 2014
Hmm I better watch that Miyazaki film
Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

Pick a number between 1-4 and hope to get lucky.
1 2 3 4
Apr 19, 2014 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
I expected SnK to be there. But 4 times is even better. It deserves it.
Apr 19, 2014 9:41 PM

Jul 2012
RandomPerson4 said:
So the Award Show just went with whatever's popular.
Kinda reminds me of the Grammys.

Uchuu Kyoudai isn't really popular though.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Dandadan' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Boku no Hero Academia' Ends in Five Chapters

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

21 by Deathlydash »»
1 hour ago

» 'Blue Lock 2nd Season' Announces Pair of Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

1 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» 'Babanbabanban Vampire' Unveils Main Cast, Production Staff, Teaser Promo, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

1 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Tasokare Hotel' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

2 by Ramkec »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.