Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 3, 2014 1:53 AM

Jul 2013
the whole time I was waiting for the Japanese air force to come and shoot them... talk about slow reaction and lax of security
Jan 3, 2014 2:03 AM

Sep 2009
whoa.. i think this is going to be my favorite this season ^^
So interesting.. I have so many questions already.. plus, HINA is so cute :)

Lol.. the title is kinda gay.. i didn't expected that this is going to be cool.. :D
Jan 3, 2014 10:32 AM

Jan 2010
I was thinking wheather to watch this or not.
Since the name bother me quite a bit. I though this was going to be a Shonen-Ai (AHAHAHAHA)
I'm glad that I watch it.
AHAHA =D
My expectation were low.... and it was great start =]
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2014 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
This actually turned out to be a lot better than I had expected. Let's see where this is going.
Jan 3, 2014 3:03 PM

Jul 2010
D-Dio? Is that you? http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/clubs/12/257389.jpg

Anyway, nothing special so far. A lot of cliché and things already seen.
I'm looking forward to it though.

I call it now, his future-self is a hero who died and sacrificed himself.
Jan 3, 2014 3:58 PM
May 2013
Buddy Complex had this awesome chase scene which really gets you pumped, and then the girls explanation for just what was going on set calm, happy tone that made me really want to continue this!
---

I'm really into anime, but I don't have many people to talk about it with reguarly. So please, add me on AIM: Superrpgman2003 or Skype:Superrpgman. Or just send me a private message here.
Jan 3, 2014 4:16 PM

Nov 2008
The thought that struck me is that for combat mechas the units seemed terribly under-gunned. That's pretty pathetic if a combat mecha pilot can't hit one unarmed civilian with multiple point-blank tries.

Also, given that the opening is set in 2014, one has to ask why none of the kids say anything like "look at that mecha" instead of "what is that".

Otherwise, the character designs don't do a lot for me.

I'll try another episode, but I'd probably be better off re-watching "Zegapain"...
Jan 3, 2014 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
dbaranyi said:

Also, given that the opening is set in 2014, one has to ask why none of the kids say anything like "look at that mecha" instead of "what is that".

It's the same reason why nobody in any zombie movie seems to know what zombies are or what to do against them.

Also, Hina is probably dead. Even though she exists in the future that Aoba is sent to, eventually she'll have to go back in time to continue the time loop, which means she'll end up exactly where she is in episode 1, and there would no longer be a Hina past that point in the future.
EsclairJan 3, 2014 6:33 PM
Jan 3, 2014 7:13 PM

Dec 2011
ZeroConsortium said:
The premise seems to be something that can be worked with to make something good, when it comes to all the questions about Hina I think it was that when she brought Aoba to the future, then the time and reality that she was from disappeared and so she is fine, she is just in the future and probably won't know him or have any knowledge as to who he is or anything that happened in the past.

And then the future her that dont know Aoba will meet Aoba, Then Aoba tell her that he was attacked in the 2014, things happens, Hina go back to the past, save Aoba, bring him to the future, and the time loops will continue over and over
Jan 3, 2014 9:21 PM
Apr 2013
I really thought that was a slice of life, the first episode looks promising, I really can't wait to see the next episode after it ended like that, haha.
Jan 3, 2014 9:36 PM

Oct 2013
Doesn't look too bad...I liked it so far. Its true that this may be your generic time travel and generic mecha anime, but seems promising
Jan 3, 2014 9:41 PM

Jan 2011
DIOOOOOOOOOOOO!

seems okay so far at first i thought was watching some alternative gundam so i was expecting a crazy war to break out and all of the MC's family die..but i got time travel and then war broke out :P.

will say it was kinda funny how Aoba was pretty chill most of the time, and the noticeable Seiyuu's was a bonus.
Jan 3, 2014 10:11 PM

Sep 2013
cool start! i like the mc haha aoba is pretty awesome ^^
was a little confused at parts but i'm sure they'll be explained soon

hina tho ;___; hinaaa ;_; wtf happened to her? did she disintegrate?
i really hope she's not dead, i was just growin' to like her char >_<

hopefully she can be saved :( after all, lots of time travel involved :'D
Jan 3, 2014 11:36 PM

Apr 2011
Time Travel + Mecha

Now where did I see that before.... oh right.
Jan 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Apr 2010
Yurippe2636 said:
Please,please,please don't tell me this is like Kaukumeki Valvrave..

It's valvrave for fujoshi.

Jan 4, 2014 1:51 AM
Nov 2013
Esclair said:

Also, Hina is probably dead. Even though she exists in the future that Aoba is sent to, eventually she'll have to go back in time to continue the time loop, which means she'll end up exactly where she is in episode 1, and there would no longer be a Hina past that point in the future.

if Hina in that ep 1 died then Aoba will die too because they are in same mecha that about to explode, she's vanished because she's will be in different place from Aoba in the future not because she is dead, Aoba's vanished too and end up in a mecha
Takeoff31Jan 4, 2014 2:47 AM
Jan 4, 2014 2:01 AM
Mar 2010
Quite a lot of cliches in the first episode. I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like the current Hina. Aoba was much better than Haruto though.

I didn't understand a lot but that's to be expected since it's only the first episode...
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 4, 2014 3:04 AM

Jan 2013
On the episode, the character and mecha designs seems a little dated. I expected better eye candy, at least to the level of Gundam 00. One strike.

The first 18mins of intro is well done, but I am still confused as to why Hina disappeared and the MC appeared conveniently in an empty mecha.

If they don't explain this well next episode, it will be another strike for me.

dbaranyi said:
The thought that struck me is that for combat mechas the units seemed terribly under-gunned. That's pretty pathetic if a combat mecha pilot can't hit one unarmed civilian with multiple point-blank tries.

It may have something to do with the paradox of time travel.

If you want to go back in the past to kill someone, he can't be killed in the past because if he dies, you would have lost the reason to travel to the past in the first place.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Jan 4, 2014 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
Nice Coupling! Please no gay. Please!
Jan 4, 2014 6:04 AM

May 2012
Good 1st episode 5/5

I will add to my watching list
Jan 4, 2014 8:23 AM

Apr 2010
Well that was cool. Watching.

Jan 4, 2014 8:25 AM

Jul 2010
AI:Nice Coupling!
Me:Pino ,is that you?

Jan 4, 2014 9:01 AM

Aug 2008
i wanted to like this, but oh geez, it was so boring. will watch another episode or two and perhaps i'll get into it.
Jan 4, 2014 10:47 AM
Oct 2012
So far this is what I'm thinking:
There are 2 timelines. The first timeline is where Watase Aoba does something that changes the course of history. The guy who accidentally went back in time is on the opposing side so he tries to kill Aoba. However, future Aoba predicted that this might happen so he sends Hina to go back in time and protect past Aoba.
When Aoba goes to the future, the timeline splits because he is no longer a part of history. Hina disappears because in the new timeline, Aoba never changed course of history so he never asked Hina to protect him. Therefore, there is a Hina somewhere in the new timeline who has never met Aoba.
Or at least that's what I think
Jan 4, 2014 11:06 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
'Nice Coupling'

Well there you go yaoi fans

Jan 4, 2014 12:40 PM

Jun 2010
time travel in mecha? a definite watch xD
Jan 4, 2014 1:00 PM
May 2013
Super high-tech time traveling advanced mecha--> can't stop bicycle-chan

Well, that exceeded my expectations xD
It started out kinda okay, I didn't find anything that interesting, many things reminded me of past mecha series like code geass, a little suisei no Gargantia and a little Gundam too actually.. and I was expecting something "new".
And then the second half came and things began to become interesting with all these small hints and complex stuff.. so many interesting stuff at the end =w=
Animation and visuals was pretty solid and fluid, and I like how some mecha fight scenes are hand-drawn and not fully computer-generated.
Jan 4, 2014 1:09 PM

Feb 2008
Maybe I should go back watching some old Gundam series I haven't really been much into mecha anime, but this seem very good.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 4, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2008
Sunrise never failed making a good anime. :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 4, 2014 2:39 PM

Oct 2011
ok taking aside all strange thing about time travel - like blasting your own grand-grand mother while trying to kill one you seek... that was very nice start.

especially MC who seems to be collected or at least didn't start to whine in first episode. he might start doing it later but than I will probably drop this.
Jan 4, 2014 7:44 PM

Aug 2013
wow, Dat Hina... nooo! She already disappeared even though it's the first episode, nooooooooooooooooooo!

The heroine! who might that be besides hina? It looks like we'll be seeing her again... I'm quite excited about that.
Jan 4, 2014 7:57 PM

Mar 2013
Interesting...
That 'Nice Coupling' had me there....
Jan 4, 2014 10:41 PM

Nov 2010
That was a good start.
i have my doubts but it was good enough for me to continue. bring on the robots.
Jan 5, 2014 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know why but first thing come in mind is Linebarrel.
Another Sunrise? Guess mecha is their specialty. No wonder I thought I see L-Elf. :D
It was ok I guess for mecha anime. But I have seen better.
Jan 5, 2014 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
Felt like they took bits and pieces of other mechas from the past decade and threw it all into a pot together.

Actually, I'll go love triangle instead of yaoi undertone. Not sure where I got that notion from.
removed-userJan 5, 2014 2:08 AM
Jan 5, 2014 2:24 AM

Jul 2010
layfonkun said:
Felt like they took bits and pieces of other mechas from the past decade and threw it all into a pot together.

Actually, I'll go love triangle instead of yaoi undertone. Not sure where I got that notion from.
Triangle as in Dio x Aoba and Aoba x Hina?

solomonvs said:
Am I right in thinking that MC-kun NTR'd the blonde guy in this new timeline? Then the blonde guy went back in time to kill him or something. Definitely looks like some twisted mmf love triangle as per usual.
Aoba 'NTRed' the silver haired guy, not the blonde guy. The blonde guy is his bff.
darthfantaJan 5, 2014 4:00 AM

Jan 5, 2014 3:05 AM
Feb 2013
darthfanta said:
solomonvs said:
Am I right in thinking that MC-kun NTR'd the blonde guy in this new timeline? Then the blonde guy went back in time to kill him or something. Definitely looks like some twisted mmf love triangle as per usual.
Aoba 'NTRed' the silver haired guy, not the blonde guy. The blonde guy is his bffl.

Ahh yeah thanks for clearing that up. Didn't pick up the silver haired guy. Just assumed that the girl saying "Dio!" over the comms at the end of the ep was the black haired girl.
Jan 5, 2014 4:35 AM

Mar 2009
Lets hope this is not a mix of Valvrave and Gargantia.
Jan 5, 2014 4:46 AM

Jul 2010
Vudis said:
Lets hope this is not a mix of Valvrave and Gargantia.
I very much it'd have anything to do with Valvrave, it's probably more like it's a mix of Gundam plus a ton of other random shows.One of the officers looked almost exactly like Natarle Badgiruel from Gundam Seed.

Jan 5, 2014 4:55 AM
Mar 2010
'Nice coupling'....yeah, good job Sunrise.

All aboard the AobaxDio ship!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 5, 2014 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
Off to a good start. But after Valvrave, I'm filled with anxiety.
Anyway, this is going in a good direction. Let's hope it turns out to be a pleasurable ride.
Jan 5, 2014 12:56 PM

Oct 2013
msnhao said:
So far this is what I'm thinking:
There are 2 timelines. The first timeline is where Watase Aoba does something that changes the course of history. The guy who accidentally went back in time is on the opposing side so he tries to kill Aoba. However, future Aoba predicted that this might happen so he sends Hina to go back in time and protect past Aoba.
When Aoba goes to the future, the timeline splits because he is no longer a part of history. Hina disappears because in the new timeline, Aoba never changed course of history so he never asked Hina to protect him. Therefore, there is a Hina somewhere in the new timeline who has never met Aoba.
Or at least that's what I think

Time traveling stuff, hmm, always will have loophole here and there. that's somehow quite good assumption.
Jan 5, 2014 1:40 PM
Aug 2010
OK, so time travel, I hope they don't take lightly that theme, if they do this is going to suck.
Jan 5, 2014 2:58 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It was an OK ep for me. Waiting for ep 2 to get some explanations.

Yurippe2636 said:
Please,please,please tell me this is like Kaukumeki Valvrave..

Fix'd.

K1ngOfHeroes said:
Reading through these comments, it seems a lot of people think Hina is coming back as an enemy? What's the reasoning behind this? I'm pretty interested in knowing

Bad guy in mech seemed betrayed by Hina so that implies there were working together before (or in the future).

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jan 5, 2014 9:50 PM

Jan 2008
The first ten or so minutes were dull, but man did it pick up.

Talk about going into something with zero expectations and being pleasantly surprised.
Jan 6, 2014 5:20 AM

Feb 2011
Why everyone already started to compare Buddy Complex with Valvrave??? I don't think this 2 animes would have something in common (exception - main place of actions is future)... They are already quite different, even judging from the beginning ^_^

Anyway, 1st episode was, let it say, interesting... Actually nothing special for me... But it's too early to jump into any conclusions. Hope this to be great mecha ^_^
Jan 6, 2014 9:45 AM

Jan 2009
Disgracik said:
Why everyone already started to compare Buddy Complex with Valvrave??? I don't think this 2 animes would have something in common (exception - main place of actions is future)... They are already quite different, even judging from the beginning ^_^

Anyway, 1st episode was, let it say, interesting... Actually nothing special for me... But it's too early to jump into any conclusions. Hope this to be great mecha ^_^

I think everyone is afraid of how they'll finish this... me, for example, I'm afraid to watch it, enjoy it and be disappointed at the end.
english isn't my native language... ;)
Jan 6, 2014 10:59 AM

Aug 2013
Time travel... gonna watch it for sure loved this episode :3!!
Hina looks a lot shyer than what I thought xD

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jan 6, 2014 12:36 PM
Apr 2009
I never understood why people rate the entire show already based on one episode :< Which should officially air today?

I was pleasantly surprised with the first episode. Not really impressed with the chara design, maybe because of Valvrave. I guess the reason why it's compared with VVV is because Sunrise pooped out a new original series the minute VVV ended (and oh how it ended :/).

I'll remain skeptical. I'm already happy that Aoba ain't a wimp like Haruto.
Jan 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Nov 2013
anyone know when episode 2 will be out?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

74 by Selleri_UmU »»
12 hours ago

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

3 by TheOnlyOneTM »»
Jun 10, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.