Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2013 12:10 AM

Jul 2013
The term masterpiece is ambiguous I guess because its based on opinion, but I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to anime as I've only watched 5 days and everything I've ever seen has been a
9-10/10 except for guilty crown (though it was average at best).
So, how often does a masterpiece come out?
Movies included
I mean something that will be top 100
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 23, 2013 12:13 AM

Jun 2008
Depends on your tastes.

Some people give out 10s all the time.

Others rarely if ever do it.

So far this year, my only 10/10 is going to Monogatari Second Season (so far).
Oct 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Mar 2013
Once or twice every five years in my opinion.
Oct 23, 2013 12:18 AM
May 2010
Well, 5 of my 10s are from the last 3 years /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 23, 2013 12:20 AM

Jul 2013
JustALEX said:
Depends on your tastes.

Some people give out 10s all the time.

Others rarely if ever do it.

So far this year, my only 10/10 is going to Monogatari Second Season (so far).
Yeah I've been loving that series! Monogatari is so good, the character development is on such a deep level that its unmatched, it also feels like they reveal the truth behind their personalities in a way that is fundamental and original, and who can resist the ecchi?
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 23, 2013 12:24 AM

Mar 2012
I've give two 10's last season. The first one is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai Megami-hen and the second is for Highschool DxD New. I've prepared my 9 or 10 for Refrain this season.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 23, 2013 12:28 AM
Apr 2011
Anime_and_Dota said:
The term masterpiece is ambiguous I guess because its based on opinion, but I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to anime as I've only watched 5 days and everything I've ever seen has been a
Movies included

if you're giving out 9s/10s left and right, chances are you're overrating your anime

maybe you do genuinely enjoy them that much though, but yeah

but i never rate anime, i'm too tempted to change them in hindsight

LotGH is the only series i feel confident about giving a 10 - haven't even rated eva, and I've seen that a lot more times than any other series

the large majority of the series I've seen would fall between a 6 and a 8

torn between subjectivity and objectivity in reviews: should one discuss the merits of the anime, or discuss how one, given one's personality, traits, and preferences, enjoyed the series? either give readers some insight into the series, but inadequately so
Oct 23, 2013 12:29 AM

Jul 2013
NeoAnkara said:
I've give two 10's last season. The first one is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai Megami-hen and the second is for Highschool DxD New. I've prepared my 9 or 10 for Refrain this season.
High school dxd looks hilarious, I'll take your reccomendation and watch it after I finish baccano and madoka magica, my friend was watching dxd and it looked like some mad sick ecchi, but I do have to ask, are there any other elements to the series like romance or action, or is all just comedy and boobs?
Oct 23, 2013 12:30 AM

Jan 2009
once a year
Oct 23, 2013 12:33 AM

Oct 2012
Anime_and_Dota said:
I've only watched 5 days and everything I've ever seen has been a 9-10/10 except for guilty crown (though it was average at best).
You watched 316 episodes in 5 days?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 23, 2013 12:33 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_and_Dota said:
NeoAnkara said:
High school dxd looks hilarious, I'll take your reccomendation and watch it after I finish baccano and madoka magica, my friend was watching dxd and it looked like some mad sick ecchi, but I do have to ask, are there any other elements to the series like romance or action, or is all just comedy and boobs?
Romance is progressing and action is definitely there. Though if you didn't accustomed to ecchi you will find the power up a little absurd.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 23, 2013 12:34 AM

Jul 2013
mbac said:
Anime_and_Dota said:
Movies included

if you're giving out 9s/10s left and right, chances are you're overrating your anime

maybe you do genuinely enjoy them that much though, but yeah

but i never rate anime, i'm too tempted to change them in hindsight

LotGH is the only series i feel confident about giving a 10 - haven't even rated eva, and I've seen that a lot more times than any other series

the large majority of the series I've seen would fall between a 6 and a 8

torn between subjectivity and objectivity in reviews: should one discuss the merits of the anime, or discuss how one, given one's personality, traits, and preferences, enjoyed the series? either give readers some insight into the series, but inadequately so
Yeah I might seem naive to dish out so many 10s but I rate everything honestly, I genuinely love the series, also I'm a massive fucking crybaby and always get emotionally attached so its easy for an anime to play on my emotions and give me an amazing feeling, so you can imagine why clannad as is my number one of all time :D
Oct 23, 2013 12:36 AM

Jul 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Anime_and_Dota said:
NeoAnkara said:
Romance is progressing and action is definitely there. Though if you didn't accustomed to ecchi you will find the power up a little absurd.
On I'm accustomed to ecchi and I love it so NO PROBLEMS!
Oct 23, 2013 12:37 AM

Jul 2013
elite-sama said:
Anime_and_Dota said:
I've only watched 5 days and everything I've ever seen has been a 9-10/10 except for guilty crown (though it was average at best).
You watched 316 episodes in 5 days?
I've watched 5 days total I mean lol
Oct 23, 2013 12:38 AM

Apr 2012
I give out a lot of 9's and 10's. lol. I'm too lazy to actually get "critical" on rating my animes. I mostly base it on how the anime actually sucked me in to its world. But, my laziness on rating aside, I'd say that masterpieces come out every year. It all depends on the taste s of the viewers but seriously, good animes come out every now and then.
Oct 23, 2013 12:40 AM

Dec 2012
It varies, some years have many great anime that debut and some have slim to none. It's hard to say. I gave The World God Only Knows 3 a 9/10 but I would not consider that a master piece although it is very, very good. There are only a few true masterpieces
"Relying on someone, helping each other out, and supporting each other. Most would say that's the right thing to do. However, that's just idealistic. In reality, someone always gets the short end of the stick"

http://p1.i.ntere.st/3b9596c6911c1c6844478fe7ace4e887_480.jpg

Oct 23, 2013 12:44 AM
Apr 2011
Anime_and_Dota said:
Yeah I might seem naive to dish out so many 10s but I rate everything honestly, I genuinely love the series, also I'm a massive fucking crybaby and always get emotionally attached so its easy for an anime to play on my emotions and give me an amazing feeling, so you can imagine why clannad as is my number one of all time :D

i'll grant you that, especially with how you say that you just started out

my advice to you is step out of your comfort zone every so often, you'll be surprised by how much you like certain shows you never thought you'd give the light of the day otherwise
don't just go with what's mainstream, think for yourself

i loved clannad when i saw it, but this was back when after story was airing, and now, it's possible that i'll look at it differently even though my personality isn't that different from back then
Oct 23, 2013 12:50 AM

Jul 2013
mbac said:
Anime_and_Dota said:

i'll grant you that, especially with how you say that you just started out

my advice to you is step out of your comfort zone every so often, you'll be surprised by how much you like certain shows you never thought you'd give the light of the day otherwise
don't just go with what's mainstream, think for yourself

i loved clannad when i saw it, but this was back when after story was airing, and now, it's possible that i'll look at it differently even though my personality isn't that different from back then
I'll try to find some series of my own but that is for me to do anyway, personally I'm very lenient on genre of series and will watch anything if its good but my favs are romance, action and ecchi/SoL
Oct 23, 2013 12:54 AM

Jul 2013
Tsundere-lover said:
It varies, some years have many great anime that debut and some have slim to none. It's hard to say. I gave The World God Only Knows 3 a 9/10 but I would not consider that a master piece although it is very, very good. There are only a few true masterpieces
A friend reccomended that to me and I must say it sounds funny and hot
Oct 23, 2013 12:57 AM

Jan 2013
Well, the last one I gave a 10/10 came in 2009.
So, I am still waiting for a masterpiece for the past 4 years -_-
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 23, 2013 12:59 AM
Apr 2011
also recommend you not to neglect manga, plenty of great material to be found there

more so than anime in my opinion

speaking of which, still need to finish my list on here, been working on it for a year
Oct 23, 2013 1:00 AM

Jul 2013
shattereddreamzz said:
what was it? -_-
Oct 23, 2013 1:04 AM

Jan 2013
Anime_and_Dota said:
shattereddreamzz said:
what was it? -_-

Kara no kyoukai part 7
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 23, 2013 1:07 AM

Sep 2012
Anime_and_Dota said:
shattereddreamzz said:
what was it? -_-

Check his list. Everything is not voted except for one....
EDIT: nvm wrong person lol...
egnaro15Oct 23, 2013 1:11 AM
Oct 23, 2013 1:09 AM

Jul 2013
mbac said:
also recommend you not to neglect manga, plenty of great material to be found there

more so than anime in my opinion

speaking of which, still need to finish my list on here, been working on it for a year
Eh
I don't know man
A large part of anime is the voice to me
Oct 23, 2013 1:25 AM
Apr 2011
you'd be surprised

manga and anime are different experiences, sure, but manga allows for a far greater degree of freedom of creativity on the part of the creator(s) and it covers more niches, so you're more likely to find something you like

not to mention how the original manga versions of anime adaptions usually are superior, what with them retaining the original nuances and going further than the anime in terms of story

there's a thread on the manga discussion board asking about must-read mangas or something, check that out
or try out something like BECK - more anime-like than 20th century boys or Monster, but still very good
even better, try out GTO - Great Teacher Onizuka for your gateway
Oct 23, 2013 1:25 AM

Dec 2012
Well this is probably going to sound way too often, but based on how many 10's I have given then I would say that on average 1 masterpiece comes out every year.
Oct 23, 2013 2:39 AM
Jul 2018
Really does depend on your tastes. I think the last 10/10 I gave was from Summer 2012.
Oct 23, 2013 2:49 AM

Nov 2011
It depends on your taste, if you have a shitty taste, you will consider any shitty anime a masterpiece, but if you have a refined taste as I, it will be harder to find a masterpiece.
I luv u
Oct 23, 2013 3:01 AM

Nov 2012
masterpiece= deathnote, code geass, stains gate, monster, shinkeki no kyojin, SAO (first season) , gurren lagan, .hack (sign) , etc...

and props to the mangaka who could maintain such long series

dbz, toriko,hunter x hunter, inuyasha bleach, op, naruto etc...

Mar 2012
Well, it depends. I mean, I give out on average about 2 or 3 10s a year, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think every 10 is a masterpiece either. Sometimes I think they are outstanding series, but won't last the tests of time like what masterpieces do.

I'd safely say about one a year, sometimes two. I thought 2011 had about three or four. Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, Ano Hana, and Fate/Zero are four anime I'd consider "masterpieces." Last year, I didn't think there were really any masterpieces that came out (*edit* Besides Shinsekai Yori)

This year, it's variable. Attack On Titan could be considered a masterpiece. I'd place Monogatari Series: Second Season in that area so far. There could be a masterpiece from the fall season but it's far too soon to tell.
Aug 2012
Every week there's another Naruto.
Oct 23, 2013 3:04 AM

Jul 2008
It might take a few seasons to over a year if you have really good taste. For people who dropped series (they dislike it) but the majority think it's great, good luck to those guys in finding a masterpiece :3
Oct 23, 2013 3:12 AM

Oct 2010
Maybe people who follow entire season charts can make a reliable answer, mine would be a baseless assumption. My latest 10 is the second Madoka Magica movie and my current range on 10 ratings per year varies from 0 to 4.
Oct 23, 2013 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
There is only one Cowboy Bebop
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 23, 2013 3:34 AM

Oct 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Anime_and_Dota said:
NeoAnkara said:

Lol,the romance isn't progressing at all,and It won't for a loooong time.
Oct 23, 2013 6:12 AM

Jan 2013
Well I give 10/10 to only 3 anime and that anime are from 2011, 2012 and 2013 so recently it looks like they come out each year but before last 3 years well I didn't watch even one anime that I consider masterpiece and in the best case scenario there might be 1 or 2 masterpieces that I am missing. So even true alot will disagree from my point of view it could be said that in the past they used to come out once every 10 years or less but now they come each year, or it could be even said that masterpieces just started coming out in last 3 years and before that there were none.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Oct 23, 2013 6:16 AM

Sep 2011
Once every 2 years.
Oct 23, 2013 6:19 AM

Aug 2013
Not really sure.

I'm still in a place where I only have to watch very highly rated shows, so I have four (in effect) 10s. Lots of 9s.

It is probably subjective how often a "masterpiece" is made.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Oct 23, 2013 6:26 AM

Mar 2012
The last 10 I gave was the new anime of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. But since that's just an adaptation of a manga from the 80s I guess it would be Wolf Children. Considering this year I've given out three 1s (C3-bu, Aku no Hana, Mirai Nikki Redial) and no 10s I think I'm out of luck until next year. Then again, Kill la Kill is airing now and Inferno Cop was from this year (Which I gave an Inferno Cop/10).

Also Space Brothers is currently airing
Oct 23, 2013 6:26 AM

Jun 2011
I don't really consider anything I've watched a masterpiece (all of them were flawed in some noticeable way), but Steins;Gate and Evangelion 2.0 came close. If Monogatari: Second Season ends really well, and Kyousougiga keeps up its current trend towards excellence, then I might have another two additions to that list.

But a true masterpiece probably only comes out every half a decade or so.
Reaper71Oct 23, 2013 6:44 AM
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Oct 23, 2013 6:35 AM

Jan 2013
Slayermaster said:
I'm still in a place where I only have to watch very highly rated shows
What do you mean by that?

OT: Like someones else already said: for me it's a "a baseless assumption". I have given 3 shows a ten so far and I haven't seen x amount of anime over x amount of time to really come to such a conclusion. That said, what I consider a ten could be considered 'ok' by someone else.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Oct 23, 2013 7:37 AM

Nov 2012
If a masterpiece comes out, a masterpiece comes out. How can you base it on time? I guess you can put it on a scale like that, however you're just making it hard on yourself. I mean, technically, 5 AMAZING shows that are coming out next season might all be considered masterpieces. Probable? No, but it could happen.

Also, masterpiece is a really weird word. I know people that seriously think Casshern sins is shit. I, on the other hand, actually consider it a masterpiece. You just had to be intelligent enough to understand how the events in the show correlated metaphorically with the real world (and see that it was intentional) and BOOM your brain gets blown. The art is also beautifully unique, and you have people who are just like "no that's shit, I can't even look at it". And it's those same people who will turn right around and say an ad ad misericordiam crap fest like Elfen lied is a masterpiece just because it's "sad". come on.

In short, Masterpiece in the anime world=opinion.
Oct 23, 2013 8:04 AM

Nov 2010
Looks like about once every year and a half since 1999.
Oct 23, 2013 8:34 AM

Apr 2013
wukp said:
Well I give 10/10 to only 3 anime and that anime are from 2011, 2012 and 2013 so recently it looks like they come out each year but before last 3 years well I didn't watch even one anime that I consider masterpiece and in the best case scenario there might be 1 or 2 masterpieces that I am missing. So even true alot will disagree from my point of view it could be said that in the past they used to come out once every 10 years or less but now they come each year, or it could be even said that masterpieces just started coming out in last 3 years and before that there were none.

Congrats, you made me laugh a lot.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 23, 2013 8:41 AM

Aug 2013
gstaad said:
Slayermaster said:
I'm still in a place where I only have to watch very highly rated shows
What do you mean by that?
I haven't seen so much anime that I have run out of highly praised shows.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Oct 23, 2013 8:43 AM

Nov 2012
Depends completely on you. Depending on my tastes I could have one coming out every Year, or once every five years.
Oct 23, 2013 10:35 AM

Feb 2010
I'm guessing masterpieces get a lot of rereleases and reprints, so fairly often I'd say.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 23, 2013 10:47 AM

Jun 2013
Everyone doesn't consider an anime a masterpiece. Depending on how people rate Anime, it would come quite often.
Oct 23, 2013 11:00 AM

Jun 2012
Depends on how big of a faggot an individual is. The biggest of faggots will probably find a "masterpiece" once or twice in a decade. Those who arent faggots will find one yearly.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you "actually" like a specific genre/specific themes?

ShinyLotus - Yesterday

24 by FanofAction »»
56 seconds ago

» Battle shounen being misunderstood on this website ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenzolo-folk - Aug 12

300 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Are Anime Songs considered Real Music?

Dragevard - Yesterday

30 by Zimmu »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Sukuna vs Gilgamesh, which one is better?

Ba-Cii10 - Today

23 by KayKimii »»
1 hour ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 )

nirererin - 12 hours ago

52 by Spoidermoney »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.