Forum Settings
Forums

HBO is in Talks with Guillermo Del Toro to Adapt Monster into TV Series

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 25, 2013 8:54 AM

Jan 2010
this is great news!
i've only seen 17eps of Monster so far but those are enough to tell that it can be turned in to live-action and especially by HBO! looking forward to it :D
Apr 25, 2013 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
MagnumBookworm said:
dankickyou said:

the casting of Johan really is the hardest part that will break or make the show. hmmm...is the guy who played Loki pretty enough for Johan? lol

Hiddleston seems like a pretty boy, but as people have said, he might not be effeminate.

Damian Lewis would be awesome as Tenma. Could even get Michael C. Hall since Dexter's last season comes out this year, and it doesn't seem like he has anything planned.

Id prefer if we could get an Asian guy for Tenma. Maybe Kaneshiro to attract more fans. He speaks English but I dont know if he has an accent. He does look like Tenma in this pic.

The Art of Eight
Apr 25, 2013 9:03 AM

Dec 2011
Oh my goodness gracious. I don't wish to be tempted with false hope. I mean HBO is perhaps the one TV Network that could actually make something like this happen in a satisfying way.

But still, I have a feeling it will fall through. Never seen an American adaptation of a manga/anime before.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2013 9:03 AM

Jun 2008
MellowJello said:
Placing my bet on it flopping.

Oh HBO?

nope.

This could actually be VERY good!
Apr 25, 2013 9:04 AM
Oct 2010
First Evangelion and now Monster huh?
Apr 25, 2013 9:06 AM

Jun 2008
pralan said:
I'm worry, anime adaptations usually are very horrible...

Monster would not be adapted from the anime but the manga.

Secondly, Monster is NOT like most manga which are based in Japan and have an all Japanese cast with the majority of the things being about Japanese culture.

Monster's cast is almost all European....and it's set in Europe.

It's a very mature manga, and I think it would actually be easier to make into a real life drama than 99% of manga/anime.
Apr 25, 2013 9:08 AM
Mar 2009
I'm going to laugh when they replace Kenzo with a white guy.

Apr 2009
skudoops said:

Pacific Rim is nothing like Evangelion.....other than they both happen to have giant mechs.

PR is more action-oriented than Eva is <.<.

Jun 2008
BigSimo said:
if they americanize it (ie. set it in america, have all the characters be american etc.) then the whole thing will be worthless.
i'd like for them to cast an english speaking japanese man as tenma, and have the whole thing set in germany. but this won't happen.
it sounds good on paper, but when you think about it, it won't come close to the source material.

LOLERS.

HBO doesn't do shit like that.

Go watch Game of Thrones and tell me if they "Americanized" that.
Apr 25, 2013 9:10 AM

Dec 2011
JustALEX said:
pralan said:

Secondly, Monster is NOT like most manga which are based in Japan and have an all Japanese cast with the majority of the things being about Japanese culture.

It's a very mature manga, and I think it would actually be easier to make into a real life drama than 99% of manga/anime.

Yeah when ya think about it Monster is in an almost solely unique position to be adapted to live action. I mean it just had all the right ingredients and people love this type of thriller murder mystery story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2013 9:11 AM
Jan 2010
I shouldn't usually give into hype considering how much I've been disappointed by a lot of it for about the past two years, but honestly, I'm really hoping that if this does happen, it'll be a real success.
Apr 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Jun 2008
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

Pacific Rim is nothing like Evangelion.....other than they both happen to have giant mechs.

I thought Pacific Rim was more of a modern take of Godzilla....

When the hell did anyone say that was an adaptation of Evangelion???
Apr 25, 2013 9:13 AM

Aug 2010
Wow, a TV series on HBO? And the writer of Sherlock?!

Sounds exciting~
Apr 25, 2013 9:13 AM

Nov 2011
JustALEX said:
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

If it was a take on Godzilla, the movie will end with Godzilla ripping the mecha to pieces than returning to the sea like a boss. Besides, there is already a Godzilla movie in the works for 2014.
The Art of Eight
Apr 25, 2013 9:14 AM

Apr 2009
Del Tor said that PR takes inspiration from Evangelion, but that's as far as it goes.

There are some Eva elitist out there are saying "loldumerber version of Evangelion hurdur".
Apr 25, 2013 9:16 AM

Jul 2011
JustALEX said:
pralan said:

I really hope that you are right
Apr 25, 2013 9:16 AM

Dec 2012
^ true that. So many things are right this time: the series, the networks, director, script writer, budget... Now if we know the full cast, then it will be perfect. I'm expecting a smash hit both on artistic level and popularity xD
Apr 25, 2013 9:21 AM

Jun 2008
dankickyou said:
JustALEX said:
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

If it was a take on Godzilla, the movie will end with Godzilla ripping the mecha to pieces than returning to the sea like a boss. Besides, there is already a Godzilla movie in the works for 2014.

Haha, Godzilla never gets old, huh.

Actually, that Pacific Rim movie does look a bit interesting...
Apr 25, 2013 9:22 AM

May 2008
Oh my GOD...PLS...

Apr 25, 2013 9:38 AM

Jan 2012
It is important they capture the gore.
My Twitter
My Tumblr - Anime Blogging on current airing season as I watch them.
My deviantArt - Anime FanArts.

Please leave replies on my profile page, as I am unlikely to see them otherwise. Thanks.
Apr 25, 2013 9:46 AM

Feb 2012
Fuck me yes, yes yes, YES, YES YES YES!!!!

DID YOU SEE THE NAMES LISTED?! THOSE PEOPLE ARE GODS. THEY WOULD MAKE THIS WORK SO WELL.

For the people saying it's going to have tons of sex, from what i hear Game of Thrones doesn't have much sex, so that won't be the case. Tons of violence, though, is expected.
Apr 25, 2013 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
BoaCC said:

....................................What gore?
The Art of Eight
Apr 25, 2013 9:53 AM

Jul 2012
Haven't seen Monster, but this looks like something to definitely look forward to.
Apr 25, 2013 9:56 AM

Dec 2011
HeavenlyUser said:
To bad it'll be on HBO you know... Since HBO IS GAY.

I would watch it but since it's on HBO and I don't have HBO ya...

Nachotee said:
Highly overrated show, maybe it'll work better as a TV show?
Although they'd need keanu reeves to get that level of non-emotion on the MC.

dankickyou said:
BoaCC said:

....................................What gore?

I wish people would remember to wash themselves and take their anti-psychotics before posting.
Apr 25, 2013 10:04 AM

Jul 2012
Mmmm, I'd watch, as I'm actually really interested in how this would pan out.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Apr 25, 2013 10:07 AM

Mar 2013
Well it does have a bit more then the books.

Vyudali said:

For the people saying it's going to have tons of sex, from what i hear Game of Thrones doesn't have much sex, so that won't be the case. Tons of violence, though, is expected.
Apr 25, 2013 10:11 AM
Oct 2010
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

Really?

In the near future, giant monsters identified as "Kaiju" arise from a crevice in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in a war which takes millions of lives and quickly consumes humanity's resources. To combat this new threat, a special type of weapon is designed: massive robots, known as Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge.

Kaiju = Angels
Jaeger = Evas
Mental link between people = Mental link between pilot and EVA

Not to mention both mechs have humanoid design and both fight in a similar manner (from the trailers at least).
Apr 25, 2013 10:16 AM

Apr 2010
Seems really interesting, and I really looking forward to it if it happens

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Apr 25, 2013 10:18 AM

Jun 2008
skudoops said:
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

Really?

In the near future, giant monsters identified as "Kaiju" arise from a crevice in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in a war which takes millions of lives and quickly consumes humanity's resources. To combat this new threat, a special type of weapon is designed: massive robots, known as Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge.

Kaiju = Angels
Jaeger = Evas

Not to mention both mechs have humanoid design and both fight in a similar manner (from the trailers at least).

Lol, so there are similarities....that doesn't mean it was an adaptation.

I just saw the preview, and there's NOTHING in it that makes me think of Evangelion.

If anything it looks a million times better than NGE.
Apr 25, 2013 10:37 AM

Jul 2008
If anyone could make a successful TV adaptation, it would be HBO.

/should probably watch the series first
Apr 25, 2013 10:38 AM

Jan 2013
This is great news. Most of the HBO series have a good budget and aren't shy about trying new things.
Apr 25, 2013 10:42 AM

Nov 2008
live2win said:
dankickyou said:
who is sexy enough to make a good Johan?

That is true, I'll like to add as an avid fan of well-characterized villian ( Johan, Griffith, Hannibal, Joker in TDK ), I would like to see them nailed it right down to the aesthetics and mannerisms.

I head that they said that they were looking into Tom Cruise for the lead role.
Apr 25, 2013 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
fanty said:
dankickyou said:
fanty said:
Nidhoeggr said:
I mean, they actually pulled of a reasonable decentl ASOIAF adaption.
You've gotta be kidding me.

In other news, this show is going to be terrible, if it ever actually gets made. So I hope it doesn't.

Game of Thrones is better than your favorite anime.
MAL says we have high anime compatibility, but it looks like you haven't seen my favourite show. And I've actually read the actual ASOIAF books, I know what a "decent" adaptation would have looked like.

The second season is a mess, but the first one was decent and the third is shaping up good as well. Of course we can't expect something like The Wire, but HBO is one of the few stations who can aquire enough money and talented people for such a gigantic task. Not to mention they managed to get urasawa's approval, which must've been hard enough.

I also like how a lot of people assume that most actors have to be British or US-American. Ignorance at its best.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 25, 2013 11:12 AM

May 2009
Plz be high quality... plz be high quality o-o..... Game of Thrones style but better ... got to GERMANY! lol xD Can't wait... If they make this!
Apr 25, 2013 11:16 AM
Oct 2010
JustALEX said:
skudoops said:
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

Really?

Kaiju = Angels
Jaeger = Evas

Lol, so there are similarities....that doesn't mean it was an adaptation.

I just saw the preview, and there's NOTHING in it that makes me think of Evangelion.

If anything it looks a million times better than NGE.

Ok a couple things.

1. I never said it was an adaptation
2. You said nothing looks like evangelion, yet acknowledge there are similarities at the same time.. which is it?
3. Your flamebait isn't going to work on me because I don't think too highly of the original series, I love the rebuilds though.
Apr 25, 2013 11:28 AM
Dec 2012
Eva will be getting laid.
Apr 25, 2013 11:31 AM

Oct 2008
Though I'm skeptical about how good it will turn out, Monster is for sure the anime most fit for a live action adaptation. I'm also glad that it's getting the recognition it deserves just for being considered an option.
Apr 25, 2013 11:32 AM

Apr 2009
skudoops said:

Really?

Kaiju = Angels
Jaeger = Evas

You do realize that PR is basically the action version of Eva, right? I mean, it's obvious the characters are going to get nearly zero development. It's just gonna be mindless action sequences.

Not that having just action is bad(The Raid proved this), but it is very different EVA.
Apr 25, 2013 11:36 AM

Sep 2010
MagnumBookworm said:
dankickyou said:

the casting of Johan really is the hardest part that will break or make the show. hmmm...is the guy who played Loki pretty enough for Johan? lol

Hiddleston seems like a pretty boy, but as people have said, he might not be effeminate.

Joseph Gordon Levitt((500) Days of Summer, Inception) seems perfect then.
Apr 25, 2013 11:38 AM
Oct 2010
MagnumBookworm said:
skudoops said:

Really?

Kaiju = Angels
Jaeger = Evas

You do realize that PR is basically the action version of Eva, right? I mean, it's obvious the characters are going to get nearly zero development. It's just gonna be mindless action sequences.

Not that having just action is bad(The Raid proved this), but it is very different EVA.

I never stated otherwise, but from a story perspective they are extremely similar even down to some of the smaller details.
Apr 25, 2013 11:41 AM

Mar 2011
if done correctly this may be better than sex
Apr 25, 2013 11:46 AM

Jan 2008
I'm more surprised at the fact that Xinil posted.
Apr 25, 2013 11:48 AM

Aug 2011
Did someone say Guillermo Del Toro?

Oh wow. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Apr 25, 2013 12:11 PM

Aug 2010
Really looking forward to this
Apr 25, 2013 12:26 PM

Jan 2012
If they don't mess this up, it could be great.
Apr 25, 2013 12:29 PM

Sep 2008
As absolutely excited as I am, I have to wonder what this means for The Strain adaptation that was slated... Guillermo just seems to be trying to toss himself all over the board at the moment, but all the projects he's considering are more than intriguing, so I'll watch either way.
Apr 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
skudoops said:
1. I never said it was an adaptation
2. You said nothing looks like evangelion, yet acknowledge there are similarities at the same time.. which is it?
3. Your flamebait isn't going to work on me because I don't think too highly of the original series, I love the rebuilds though.

1. IMO you IMPLIED it was an adaptation.

2. There are similarities but it's NOTHING like NGE, the similarities are that it's a struggle for the fate of the earth and it's robots vs. robots.....hey guess what that similarity is also present in Transformers, and that's also NOTHING like NGE.

3. Who the hell is flaming? I never said anything against NGE, and if you check, you'll notice that I personally do like NGE (I gave it a good score and Asuka is one of my favorite anime girls of all time).
Apr 25, 2013 1:38 PM

Mar 2009
Until I actually see this confirmed and slated for production will I believe it.
Del Toro has so many creative projects and ideas hashed out only to never get around to a fraction of them.

However, with a green light and the right actors, this could be amazing.
Apr 25, 2013 1:45 PM

Aug 2011
oh my god????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Apr 25, 2013 1:59 PM

Oct 2012
I never could get myself into it but I might give it a try because of this.It could flop and it isn't "official" yet but eh whatever.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kyoto Animation Adapts 'Nichijou' Author's 'City' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

34 by AE-2 »»
1 hour ago

» Voice Actress Aya Hirano, Actor Masashi Taniguchi Announce Marriage

Vindstot - Jan 2

37 by MR-GRAYv2 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Samishigariya no Ryuu' Anime Movie Announced for 2025

Vindstot - Yesterday

19 by ezorde »»
4 hours ago

» Fall 2024 Preview

Snow - Yesterday

6 by Memore »»
6 hours ago

» J.C.Staff Produces 'Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: EZY' Anime for 2026

Vindstot - Sep 19

28 by Adriannitro »»
Yesterday, 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.