Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2012 5:51 AM

Mar 2012
Very weird anime. Thought it was boring but half way became interesting. Also I like Watashi and her odd personality, totally does not match her personality. Plus, not everyday you get to see some bread squirt out carrot juice xD
Jul 3, 2012 6:10 AM

Nov 2010
The ED song reminds me of Akiko YANO who was a guest member of YMO.
Jul 3, 2012 6:16 AM
Feb 2012
Not bad. I liked it.
Jul 3, 2012 6:30 AM
Oct 2011
MissileSoup said:
That was amazing. Will definitely be following this. The social implications are quite interesting.
jimjimex said:
...6. The camera picture sound effect. Do you know WHY we have sound effects when cell phones take pictures? It is to prevent people from taking upskirt pictures in crowded subways. High tech, low moral. VERY human...

While the camera example is interesting, if you were stating it as a fact, it's not true. Also, I personally don't believe in an inverse relationship between technology and moral. Other than that, nice observations. These points are what separates this show from truly nonsensical shows, and the reason why I quite like this one.

I personally don't believe in an inverse relationship between tech and moral, too.

BUT

The camera picture sound effect IS COLD HARD FACT IN OUR REAL WORLD.
In Japan, it is LAW because of the number of perverts on the public transit system. Phone makers are doing it on US phones anyway, but the US Congress is considering to make it MANDATORY:

ABC News: Should Silent Camera Phones Be Illegal?
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=6750825&page=1#.T_L0yPU2cWM

Guardian: US Congress considers camera noise to stop pervs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jan/27/gadgets-law

Engadget: Proposed bill would require all cameraphones to make themselves heard
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/26/proposed-bill-would-require-all-cameraphones-to-make-themselves/

jimjimexJul 3, 2012 6:38 AM
Jul 3, 2012 7:46 AM

Jan 2010
Suffice to say, there is a ton to talk about with this show. I've written up an editorial here on the first episode.
Humanity Has Declined succeeds largely because it manages to be engaging on multiple levels. I love our very human protagonist, and all the creative imagery the setting is working with. But I perhaps especially love all the little observations on modern-day society this episode threw out at us. A very intelligent show, despite its goofy exterior.
Jul 3, 2012 8:16 AM
May 2012
Honestly, i decided to pick this one up because nano.RIPE's gonna sing the OP, but yeah, there's nothing that i don't like about this show.

The art's lovely, and the music is good, the story is interesting.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 3, 2012 8:18 AM
Sep 2009
she is so cute
Jul 3, 2012 8:46 AM

May 2012
This bored me to death lol. But I'm going to stick to it ...
Jul 3, 2012 9:02 AM

Jul 2010
This looks promising. I love the protagonist, both design and attitude. Engagingly bizarre!
Jul 3, 2012 10:19 AM
Jul 2010
This series is completely genius. Splendid social commentary, highly entertaining randomness and a great protagonist which brings us said critics with a tone of dark humor in a witty narration. It is exactly the type of show that fascinates me! Will definitely be following it.
Jul 3, 2012 10:44 AM

Jul 2009
Well, that was unique. I will be watching this.
Jul 3, 2012 11:27 AM

Dec 2011
I loved the bread part!
Jul 3, 2012 12:23 PM

May 2008
the bread part at the end LOL and this anime is very unique didn't expect it to be this random/ weird!
Jul 3, 2012 1:25 PM

Jun 2008
jimjimex said:
MissileSoup said:
That was amazing. Will definitely be following this. The social implications are quite interesting.
jimjimex said:
...6. The camera picture sound effect. Do you know WHY we have sound effects when cell phones take pictures? It is to prevent people from taking upskirt pictures in crowded subways. High tech, low moral. VERY human...

While the camera example is interesting, if you were stating it as a fact, it's not true. Also, I personally don't believe in an inverse relationship between technology and moral. Other than that, nice observations. These points are what separates this show from truly nonsensical shows, and the reason why I quite like this one.

I personally don't believe in an inverse relationship between tech and moral, too.

BUT

The camera picture sound effect IS COLD HARD FACT IN OUR REAL WORLD.
In Japan, it is LAW because of the number of perverts on the public transit system. Phone makers are doing it on US phones anyway, but the US Congress is considering to make it MANDATORY:

To add to this
18:33 into episode grandpa does explain why the camera makes the sound

Company dude : W..What is that? It's scary.
Grandpa : Apparently it's to prevent 盗撮(tousatsu, taking secret pictures). I don't understand the mindset of the old civilized.

Taking secret pictures... probably means what jimjimex said :)

edit: I see what he meant. My initial interpretation to the question was why does the camera make obnoxiouslolol sound when they could've made it silent or be less noticeable :)
aryashineJul 3, 2012 1:41 PM
Aryashine!
Jul 3, 2012 1:30 PM

Nov 2011
jimjimex said:
MissileSoup said:

...The camera picture sound effect IS COLD HARD FACT IN OUR REAL WORLD.
In Japan, it is LAW because of the number of perverts on the public transit system. Phone makers are doing it on US phones anyway, but the US Congress is considering to make it MANDATORY...

Well that was a interesting read. But the way you stated it was that it was the reason why we have the sound, which isn't the case. The sound has always been there for mimicking camera shutters, and all these preposterous laws came afterwards. The proposed bill, and the existing ones in Japan and Korea, just make it mandatory and prevent the ability to disable it.
MissileSoupJul 3, 2012 2:02 PM
Jul 3, 2012 2:23 PM

Jul 2011
That ending was so fucked i couldn't stop laughing. Cant wait to see more.
Jul 3, 2012 2:43 PM

May 2012
I really liked this episode,I hope the rest of this series will be as good as the first episode :3
Watashi is really cute, the ending song and tha opening were really nice(especially the ending)
and the scenery is just wonderful! X3 I really can't wait for the next episode.
Oh, and that suicidal bread was totally priceless XD
Jul 3, 2012 2:48 PM

Aug 2011
dwRWfhgswh sjbdchsa hcsds cds&%$"·F!"GFQha cjkds dsA FGEWQ DXAS LOSL FEsaa $·$· ADF s3 edqw fr 35 q...

That was what I felt...
Jul 3, 2012 4:43 PM

May 2011
An amazing first episode, I'm already completely sold on watching the rest of this. From beautiful looks to oh hello there commentary on the processed food I'm eating right now. I could not have hoped for better. I laughed when they were chasing the roosters because I kept wondering the entire time if they ever did lay eggs.

If there was one characteristic I would give the characters of this series it would be apathetic. There's such a heavy amount of it and yet it still does the lightness of humor so well.
fiore777Jul 3, 2012 4:47 PM
Jul 3, 2012 8:08 PM
May 2009
I expect to be saying "WTF?!?!" many times through the duration of this series. If you wonder why I say this, here's a hint:
"The Bread... It BLEEDS!!!!!"
Jul 3, 2012 8:34 PM

Dec 2011
Hahaha nice and WEIRD, WEIRD series, I'll definitely keep watching it for now. Love the OP, as I expected from nano.RIPE after watching Sankarea. Love the art style and humor (that piece of bread was just hilarious).
Jul 3, 2012 9:22 PM
Jan 2009
sufficiently f@cked up enough to make this watch'able...
Jul 4, 2012 12:55 AM

Aug 2011
I have no idea what I just watched, all I know is that I liked it.
Jul 4, 2012 2:15 AM

Jun 2009
Fantastic. I love the sarcastic and quite humorous commentary by Sensei. The Bread scene was surreal, but unfortunately it was spoiled for me though it's all good as that's the reason why I picked up the series. Will keep watching.

vampko said:
Am I really the only one that was creeped out pretty much from the start?

Not "creeped out" but I could tell this wasn't going to be your average cutesy slice of lifesh kind of series just by her commentary alone.
Ston3_FreeN7Jul 4, 2012 2:24 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2012 4:32 AM

Sep 2007
The art was really pretty, but that's about it.

I didn't get the humor; both the chicken and the bread were creepy and horrifying, and I'm still surprised they didn't give me nightmares. Of course, humor is the most subjective things ever, but I didn't even crack a single smile this episode... I guess I'm just not into this kind of absurdist humor.

The story also kept popping my suspension of disbelief.

So, 5/10, will watch the next episode because Seiji Kishi is the kind of director that improves as he goes along. Will probably drop it though.

Edit:
PaninaManina said:
I picked up to watch this episode just for Lulz, because I read on a blog saying it should be just for hardcore fans of moe (and especially because of Kou Otani) but ... there is something VERY sinister here, I was frightened with that final scene, that was strong.

All the time I had the feeling that something was very wrong at all.
It was only my impression?
Really?
All those strange feelings?
Those thoughts I should not have in a silly moe anime?

It caught me, I liked everything while I can not tell what it was that I liked, nor how. I will definitely watch.

This, except I'm note sure whether I'll watch and suspect it's unintentional.
KiralyJul 4, 2012 4:39 AM
Jul 4, 2012 4:46 AM

Sep 2009
First the bread scared me, but now I think it's quite funny.
Maybe i'm starting to like gore 0.o
Jul 4, 2012 10:51 AM

Aug 2009
FAIRYCO IS PEOPLE!
no
Jul 4, 2012 11:19 AM

Feb 2009
This is really a breath of fresh air in this formulaic season.
It was like DAFUQ DID I JUST WATCH? But i loved it anyway...
Jul 4, 2012 3:58 PM

Mar 2010
So I'm not really enjoying it so far simply because I can't ascertain its intent.
Is it supposed to be a cutesy morbid comment on the reality of consumerist culture and how it will bring about our decline, health and society wise? And if not, why so nay anecdotes of that nature??

I have a creeping feeling its just trying to be different for the sake of being different, there's no passion in the story telling or characters, like someone depressed with the world wanted to spread his message though a mediocre cutesy style.
Not digging it so far, but I'll stick around till ep. 5 so I know if I truly missed something important and "deep" about all this...
Jul 4, 2012 7:27 PM

Jan 2008
....well that was freakin weird.
Jul 4, 2012 9:02 PM

Dec 2008
the bg is kinda horrible but the show is hilarious and adorable
Jul 4, 2012 10:02 PM

Feb 2012
That was.. new o.O
Jul 5, 2012 1:16 AM

Oct 2010
I really like this series. It shows a lot of messages.

Among them I picked up:
-Corruption.

-Boss show off and taking advantage of the job.

-Manipulation and using people.

Those are just a few of the many others that were outlines. Certainly those are rather vices of our society. Meetings being other ones.

In regards to the OP,

this sounds about right in brainwashing, although not at first. It kind of has a uzumaki feeling. That is a spiral effect of what it shoots out, that being fairies among others.

Finally the bread part got me going in the following,

As much as it might look like marmalade of carrot puree being spilled out, it in fact alludes to murder and blood being spilled on Watashi’s face! I like her a lot so I did not really like the crude joke there despite knowing its meaning. That of food killing itself if it does not satisfy you, instead having to see itself of its demise in the thrash if you get what I mean.

RIGHT! LISTEN UP! I will center and make it big what this series really is!

This series
IS
Hakushaku to Yousei

+
Welcome to the NHK
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1210/Welcome_to_the_NHK!

Basically!

After this anyone who disagrees by all means do inform me and does who agree by all means do elaborate. I will so read on.
Yumekichi11Jul 5, 2012 1:23 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 5, 2012 8:13 AM

Jan 2012
that bread was quite...interesting
Jul 5, 2012 8:27 AM

May 2012
This show is absolutely the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in my life. It is very likely that this will end up being dropped. I like the different style and setting, but, like many others said, the bread made me serious say 'WTF did I just watch?'
Jul 5, 2012 9:25 AM

Aug 2010
What the raspberry muffinf*ck was that? Seriously Japan, I watched Upotte and loved it, read Gokiburi Ginjika and loved it, but you still manage to surprise me. Pat yourself on the back.

A good episode, the setting is interesting, I loved the deadpan manner of the heroine, Nakahara Mai's voice is strangely fitting, reminds me a bit of Felli Ross. The color palette is also to my liking. 4/5.

Someone stop this flood of nano.RIPE already, that voice is like a cat being castrated and impaled at the same time.

ED reminded me of Azumanga Daioh. Good times.

Edit: Question...which time slot is this aired in? What's the target audience?
Mogami-kunJul 5, 2012 9:30 AM
Jul 5, 2012 9:46 AM

Jan 2011
so a headless chicken can still run around? a bread sacrifice himself for humans to eat? and the :D face fairies... this show is weird but very interesting

i like how Yuno described the meeting too, and also the irony of the more u wanna keep the secret the faster it will spread, really interesting :)
Jul 5, 2012 10:27 AM

May 2011
What the fuck just happened? This anime is indeed very very strange... but I sorta liked it? That bread scene oh my gawd lol.

This girl looks very cute and from what I can see, her personality is fucking awesome lol. I can tell I am gunna like her character.
Jul 5, 2012 11:53 AM

Aug 2007
When she was talking about her hair that was gone I was like 'hey, I think they don't start at the beginning of the story. As long as they don't mix up episode chronology...' But okay, you don't really miss a lot, I guess, since I didn't read the light novels. I really like the main character. Oh yeah, you guys noticed she didn't have a name? Ohohoho. Totally reminding me of Murakami with this crazy stuff going on. Those fairies being evil about death by starving, the bread that killed itself and then the guy offering them to eat it. I love this humor! I am hoping this will be awesome, cause it is still just a mystery anime after all and I am not really fond of those...
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 5, 2012 12:01 PM
Sep 2011
The first episode was very subdued most of the time, so it was easy to miss the critical undertones in the seemingly harmless narration of the Mediator. Manipulation of Information, use of intimidation... well, I guess she didn't get appointed as UN Mediator for no reason.
The grade sheme in regard to rating products seems highly euphemistic to me and is most likely part of the propagandistic nature of the whole system. The shabby looking girl would be well advised to drop her habit of looking for negatives in life or she might get in trouble soon...
Jul 5, 2012 7:05 PM
Feb 2011
Loved it.
Somehow recently I tend to like these kind of shows the most also I really liked the art, there could be more shows with art similar this. Oh and both, OP and ED were awesome.
Jul 5, 2012 10:29 PM

Apr 2008
Interesting to see another 'twilight of the human age' story. This came off as a somewhat more rambunctious, but less serious version of YKK. I'm hoping the theme of 'twilight years' gets its due consideration.

There's a lot of mystery thrown at us in this episode with little in the way of explanation. The rules that govern how our world works don't seem to apply much anymore. Interesting to see if this can go the distance and explore some deeper themes than normal rather than just end up being a strung together sequence of oddities.
Jul 6, 2012 12:00 AM

Jun 2009
sarroush said:
Ep 1....was....interesting? I guess? I'll keep watching because of how it ended. I guess it sort of was interesting. It's odd. And weird. And different. But it's not actually bad.

My face

when

My thoughts exactly
I was still caught up on the cuteness of the fairies then the bread committed suicide and i just...i just don't know

weirdly enough i found myself laughing though, not so much because it was funny but b/c it was such an weirdly morbid scene...a visual non sequitur if you will.
Jul 6, 2012 2:17 AM

Nov 2011
This was actually really good. The art and colour palette is really pretty, and Watashi is an excellent MC. Calm, funny, manipulative, and insightful with great narration. Weirdly fun with some black comedy and social commentary mixed in with Moe and cuteness.
The Art of Eight
Jul 6, 2012 3:32 AM

May 2010
Seems like a cute & a fun anime.There is greenery everywhere so I am going to call it a anime which I can watch while relaxing & those fairies are soooo cute too & they talk so cutely!!!
Jul 6, 2012 9:24 AM

Jul 2009
Lol this is pretty good.

nano.RIPE IS EVERYWHERE!

After the ED I couldn't get Soramimi Cake out of my head ~_~
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jul 6, 2012 1:49 PM

Feb 2010
lol one of the weirdest animes i have seen. But there's something really good about it. Shall stick with this one. :)
Jul 6, 2012 5:39 PM

Apr 2011
Well that was just shoking.

I love it.
Jul 6, 2012 9:40 PM
Apr 2011
Is it wrong of me that I find the bread's suicide funny? It is so out of the blue that I wonder what other quirkiness this anime has to offer.
Jul 7, 2012 12:39 PM

Aug 2008
lol the bleeding bread cracked me up every single time. what a tragic death.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Chronological Order

komic - Sep 4, 2012

19 by P3TE »»
Jun 20, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

prismheart - Aug 5, 2012

128 by Karva1 »»
Jun 19, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Aug 19, 2012

145 by wildhood »»
Jun 16, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

fishergirl16 - Jul 8, 2012

242 by Karva1 »»
Jun 13, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ihateeveryone - Jul 29, 2012

76 by Safrichh »»
May 18, 8:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.