Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 11, 2012 4:59 AM

Sep 2008
does anyone has the pic of sodoko with her clones/copies, it was a photoshop one from ep 8.
Books are gateways to new worlds...
Dec 11, 2012 5:14 AM

Oct 2012
The Discipline Committee / Duck Team

GomoyoSodokoPazobi

The Discipline Committee ( 風紀委員 ) for the Ooarai Girl's Academy consists of three girls. The committee's job is to enforce school rules. This sounds a bit weird to North American people, but I know that this idea exists in some other countries besides Japan. The Chair of the Discipline Committee is Midoriko Sono. Her nickname is Sodoko. As is often the case in Japanese nicknames, it is formed by picking some syllables from the original name. Start with Sono Midoriko. Then arbitrarily pick out some syllables: SOno miDOriKO. And you get Sodoko. Don't call her Sodoko because she hates it. You should address her as Sono Midoriko. Midoriko always stands at the front gate to record the names of anybody who shows up late for school. There are other rules such as no makeup. Also, every rule also applies when attending any official school function, and that includes tank battles. Fans asked GaruPan Director Tsutomu Mizushima if the three girls are clones or sisters. They are not, he said. They merely have the same hair style. There is a longstanding tradition that members of the Discipline Committee always have a bob cut.

Here are the three members:

Last name: Sono 園
First name: Midoriko みどり子
Nickname: Sodoko そど子
Inspiration for nickname: Sodom ( name of a famous ancient city )
Hair style: jet black, bob cut
Hair length: medium
Voice actress: Shiori Izawa 井澤詩織
Position: Committee Chair, Tank Commander, 47 mm gun

Last name: Gotou 後藤
First name: Moyoko もよ子
Nickname: Gomoyo ごもよ
Inspiration for nickname: Gomorrah ( name of a famous ancient city )
Hair length: long (to shoulder)
Position: Driver

Last name: Komparu 金春
First name: Nozomi 希美
Nickname: Pazobi パゾ美
Inspiration for nickname: Italian film director Pier Paolo Pasolini who directed "Salò, or the 120 days of Sodom"
Hair length: short (top of ears)
Position: 75 mm Howitzer
okanaganDec 11, 2012 5:55 AM
Dec 11, 2012 5:17 AM
Nov 2012
tachime said:
Yea pretty much this. It looks like the type 89 only got tracked, just like what happened to StuG and IS earlier on.guess

The IS-2 never got detracked. In fact, of all the tanks that the Pz38(t) engaged, it was the one that came out the least damaged, and was the only one able to move to meet up with the pursuit team.

It true though that previous incidents show tracking as not being a knock-out condition. We first see this in episode 4 when the Pz38(t) got detracked, and yet still managed to continue on into the fight.

Dalek-baka said:

KV on guard was funny... Sure it's tough but weak gun, low speed makes it not the best choice.

We're talking about the KV-2 model here, equipped with the 152mm M-10 howitzer which could kill a tank through sheer explosive power alone using HE, hardly a weapon you could classify as 'weak'. On the other hand, it does suffer from having shells so large and heavy that it makes reloading the gun a time-consuming affair, something pointed out and used to great effect this episode.
Dec 11, 2012 5:29 AM
Jun 2009
Discipline Committee? My elementary, middle and high schools have them. Moralists with high and mighty attitude, they are like the commissar.

Anyway, I hope the girl with bunny ears is not Chi-nu gunner....
Dec 11, 2012 5:44 AM

Jul 2010
Damn, this show knows how to leave you hanging for more. Some wicked tank driving in this episode.
Dec 11, 2012 6:05 AM
Oct 2009
i love it when yukari and erwin sung Japanese Military Songs & Songs in War [Yuki no Shingun]

i found a youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-XCUJzSAw
Dec 11, 2012 6:11 AM

Oct 2012
^ See also the karaoke version which shows the lyrics (in Japanese).
Symbv posted it yesterday. It dates from the Meiji era.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&hl=ja&v=ELvCVDLFauk

Sing along. We have lots of snow here today so maybe I'll give it a try.
okanaganDec 11, 2012 8:41 AM
Dec 11, 2012 6:42 AM
Oct 2009
yay, thanks, sing along too!

on this episode i just notice that ooarai flag team was the duck team, and not the turtle team. When they battled sanders and anzio, ooarai's flag tank was turtle team.

It's really scary when the duck team got showered by the russian tank, really struggle to avoid those attack.

And Anzu's turtle team really had done a good job, by defeating 2 tanks (if im not wrong)

Even though It's still a cliffhanger , either ooarai or pravda won the battle, but judging from those new girls and tank in the ending. ooarai should have advance to the final. I'm really excited to see the finals between sisters.
(it's like watching saki - mahjong)

really love it!
Dec 11, 2012 6:45 AM

Apr 2011
The anglerfish dance must be the highlight of the episode. The look of everyone's faces is just hilarious. I'm even embarass watching them.
Dec 11, 2012 7:04 AM

Apr 2010
This looks like a draw which means the victor will be decided in a different way.
My guess is either by the number of tanks taken down or the number of tanks still standing most likely the first one that is if it's a draw.
It was a exciting match and it's a wonder no one got hurt especially the student council's tank that was hit hard even spinning around.
I wonder how the hid the StuG so fast in the snow it's pretty big after all it was a nice action tho.

The face of Miho's mother when she was looking at that dance was so funny looks like she didn't like that part at all.
She was also about to leave when she taught the situation was hopeless i wonder how she will think about her daughter now that she managed to fight herself out of that hopeless situation.
And Hana's mother seems more involved in the match then expected so maybe her view might change as well.
Dec 11, 2012 7:21 AM

Oct 2012
Somebody wanted to see this composite image of the discipline committee

http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/p/pema/20121110/20121110122151.jpg

I hope the link works. If not, cut and paste into another browser.

See also great fan art of Sono-san (Sodoko):

http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/025/750/86/N000/000/000/135255316849513224323_1210k.JPG
http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/025/750/86/N000/000/000/135211924560913210150_1203z.JPG
http://www.gofuweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/sodoko.jpg
okanaganDec 11, 2012 7:26 AM
Dec 11, 2012 7:30 AM
Oct 2012
Another excellent episode, again it makes the beginning of the week worthwhile.

A couple of comments to spark conversation.

1) Tracks. I think the rules probably distinguish between shooting the tracks off and shooting the wheels, the first wouldn't necessarily incapacitate a tank, it could still move, just not as easily as before. It probably would require some additional damage (such as damaging the carriage) to surrender the tank.
2) Last week I predicted that no matter what Miho did, her mother would still disown her. I think her dsesire is still there, however I now think that if Oourai wins, she won't be able to disown Miho because the next battle is against Black Forest. It would be very un-Senshado-ish to do something like that immediately before the match. A threat perhaps, but nothing more.
3) This is now the third time the opposing team have commented on Miho's tactics as being non-standard. This gets me thinking that perhaps Senshado has become an extremely conservative sport, dominated by theory over tactics. Miho's brand is far more entertaining to watch, but this of course brings her squarely in opposition to her mother's style.
4) Lovely cliffhanger, we know that Oourai wins, but still what an anticipatory place to end the episode.
Dec 11, 2012 7:45 AM

Feb 2011
SayuriUliana said:

The IS-2 never got detracked. In fact, of all the tanks that the Pz38(t) engaged, it was the one that came out the least damaged, and was the only one able to move to meet up with the pursuit team.

It true though that previous incidents show tracking as not being a knock-out condition. We first see this in episode 4 when the Pz38(t) got detracked, and yet still managed to continue on into the fight.

Ah you are right. I thought it got detracked since they said something like "IS-2 is now back" when they met up with the pursuit team but if you check the episode around 15:59 it is clear that the IS-2 is the only one that is moving.
The Game.
Dec 11, 2012 8:29 AM

Jul 2009
Dalek-baka said:
Very nice episode
KV on guard was funny... Sure it's tough but weak gun, low speed makes it not the best choice.

152mm M-10 howitzer is NOT a weak gun. It only has to hit the target.

From my post in ep8 discussion thread (got deleted due to rollback, good thing I copied it):
KV-2 with 152mm M-10 howitzer - slow, big - and badass. M-10 is shooting 5,5kg shells - sheer weight of the bullet is enough to tear apart a tank. This gun is dubbed a "trollgun" or "derpgun" by world of tank players - it can seriously damage high tier tanks (like let's say: IS-3, Tiger II, Jagdtiger - info for those who don't play world f tanks, what "high tier tanks" means; added just now, 11.12.12) or (if lucky) one shot them. Main drawbacks - poor accuracy and rate of fire. KV-2 has also very nice armor, pretty much impenetrable from the front (maybe except from those 75mm guns equipped on stug and pz4).

Anyway - epic episode is epic.
Dec 11, 2012 9:12 AM

Nov 2011
And with this episode, GuP is in my top 50. I didn't even expect it to be in my top 100, let alone top 50. Truly one of the biggest surprises of 2012.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 11, 2012 9:30 AM

Sep 2012
Even outside the anime itself, the director Mizushima keeps throwing pleasant surprises at us. He now got one of the Ooarai girls to dance the Anko Dance in real life earlier today !! It was broadcast in Nico video and apparently it will be included as an extra in one of the BDs to be released !

So who took up the challenge to dance in full camera view? Which seiyuu? It is Mikako Takahashi, seiyuu for Yuzu the big-breasted girl from the student council http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikako_Takahashi . She is also the seiyuu for Rebecca in Dog Days too. Reading her history made me realize that there is a reason why it is her who danced: Before she became a seiyuu back in 1999 because of the anime Excel Saga, she was on a singing career and she did not fear singing in cosplay costume in public event. Even after she became a seiyuu, occasionally videos of her doing the dances of pop singers like AKB48 could be seen. So it makes sense to pick her to do the dance in public, although even her fearless history of singing in cosplay did not persuade her agency to allow her to dance in that tight outfit LOL

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19558700
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 11, 2012 9:34 AM

Oct 2012
You need to have registered with NicoVideo in order to view that Ankou dance video.
But registering is free and not hard and does not require Japanese.
Start the registration process by going to: http://www.nicovideo.jp
It is worth the minor hassle.

Some other anime series have dances associated with them. But this one is a classic !

Please refer to my Post #28 for an explanation of the meaning of her name "Yuzu".
okanaganDec 11, 2012 9:52 AM
Dec 11, 2012 9:52 AM

May 2012
There's the youtube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dHpF0VSdE
Dec 11, 2012 9:57 AM
Jan 2011
Oh, so the reason why Ooarai Girls High School is selected to be closed was because of budget cuts, so that why Sesaha-do was revived, man, I wonder why did Anzu said in the 1st place?
Nasty001Dec 11, 2012 10:50 AM
Dec 11, 2012 11:44 AM
Nov 2012
I've just completed 6 of the 7 chapters Girls Und Panzer: Little Army manga.

From there I can deduce that Maho actually is sympathetic towards the her little sister Miho and very close to her since childhood. She is like Miho, but much more calm and precise and focused, not to mention humorless and deadly[A bit German a stereotype would say]. But both sisters are able to come out with very effective tactics in combats and are capable of analyzing a situation and re-organize after. Their mother on the other hand is ruthlessly strict and holds the Nishizumi ways of battle with a iron grip.

But surprisingly, it Garupan:LA also shows why Miho actually abandon her flag Tiger to rescue the stricken and drowning IV. And why she believes winning was everything before coming to Ooarai. This all heightens the anticipation for the upcoming battle between the sisters, and we all agree that this is inevitable. Now about that Tiger....with 3 more ep of Garupan, this is wrapping up to be a great anime for me.

Additional info:
And I can see why Oarai school carrier was chosen to be scrapped. It's an old World War 2 Japanese design carrier, most likely Kaga or Tosa class, suggesting that the school is kinda old. St Gloriana aside, both Pravda and Saunders school are based on modern Admiral of the fleet Kuznetsov and Nimitz/enterprise design respectively. And Ooarai's carrier is really small compared with the others bigger carrier.
BTW, I am sure most of you guys have realize that Leopold giant screen that displays the battle during the tournament actually sits on the carriage of the of the Gustav railroad assault gun. The largest assault gun ever made.
Dec 11, 2012 12:10 PM

Aug 2010
A highly entertaining episode, special mention to the Anko Dance, absolutely hilarious (especially with the mother's face, just priceless), Yukari x Rommel combo, and deadly Nonna (how can this show produce so many fantastic girls is beyond me). 4/5, eagerly awaiting for the next part.
Dec 11, 2012 12:19 PM

Oct 2012
Hi Jyuu-niDesu:
It's an old World War 2 Japanese design carrier, most likely Kaga or Tosa class, suggesting that the school is kinda old.

GaruPan Director Tsutomu MizuShima put out a tweet about this specific issue. The Ooarai ship is certainly based on reality.

However... it is not based on a real ship. It is based on TWO real ships !

Both of them are World War II Japanese aircraft carriers.

They used one ship to model the superstructure. (The part that sticks up.)

They used another ship to model everything else besides the superstructure.

Unfortunately, I can't find that old tweet. But he was very specific about which two ships he used. One was prewar and the other was built very late in the war, as I recall. I think that the bottom part is based on the newer ship. The superstructure is based on the older ship. Can't be sure. Are there any experts on WWII aircraft carriers out there?
okanaganDec 11, 2012 12:36 PM
Dec 11, 2012 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
Most of the major Japanese fleet carriers (Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, Hiryu, Shokaku, Zuikaku) were laid down, launched, and commissioned prior to the start of World War II. Of the fleet carriers built during the war:

Hiyo: Laid down 30 November 1939, launched 24 June 1941, commissioned 31 July 1942
Junyo: Laid down 20 March 1939, launched 26 June 1941, commissioned 3 May 1942
Taiho: Laid down 10 July 1941, launched 7 April 1943, commissioned 7 March 1944
Unryu: Laid down 1 August 1942, launched 25 September 1943, commissioned 6 August 1944
Amagi: Laid down 1 October 1942, launched 15 October 1943, commissioned 10 August 1944
Katsuragi: Laid down 8 December 1942, launched 19 January 1944, commissioned 15 October 1944
Shinano: Laid down 4 May 1940, launched 5 October 1944, commissioned 19 November 1944

I'd need some good shots of the Oarai academy ship before I can determine which one is the hull and which one is the superstructure, assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it first or that old tweet is somehow recovered.
Dec 11, 2012 1:16 PM
Nov 2012
okanagan said:
Hi Jyuu-niDesu:
It's an old World War 2 Japanese design carrier, most likely Kaga or Tosa class, suggesting that the school is kinda old.

GaruPan Director Tsutomu MizuShima put out a tweet about this specific issue. The Ooarai ship is certainly based on reality.

However... it is not based on a real ship. It is based on TWO real ships !

Both of them are World War II Japanese aircraft carriers.

They used one ship to model the superstructure. (The part that sticks up.)

They used another ship to model everything else besides the superstructure.

Unfortunately, I can't find that old tweet. But he was very specific about which two ships he used. One was prewar and the other was built very late in the war, as I recall. I think that the bottom part is based on the newer ship. The superstructure is based on the older ship. Can't be sure. Are there any experts on WWII aircraft carriers out there?

Now that you said that I check my source further. I remembered from memory in ep 7 they girls returned to the carrier at night, revealing a deck above superstructure held by supports which indicates that it could be either Akagi or one of the Tosa class battle cruiser converts.An early Japanese carrier design. But the lack of smoke stacks on the side of the sip meant it couldn't be Hiryu or Akagi.

But i recheck the pics of Ooarai carrier shows that I'am wrong .The starboard side placement of the island with a little protrusion overboard means it could be a Zuikaku class carrier..... ESP the arrangement of AA gun cupolas and the forward guns on the Ooarai carrier. The higher bow also support the fact it could be a zuikaku type carrier. Can't find any clear pics of the Ooarai's island[not superstructure, WW2 carriers superstructure are below the flight deck] to really confirm which ships its from, but from my POV, most likely ooarai drew inspiration from the Zuikaku class ship .

First impression of St Gloriana's carrier is a WW2 HMS Ark Royal.
Dec 11, 2012 1:16 PM

Oct 2012
ガールズ&パンツァー Twitter公式アカウント. (2012年11月20日)
大洗女子の学園艦は、瑞鶴をベースに、艦橋部分は赤城というハイブリッドデザインとなっている。

This was tweeted from the GaruPan producers on November 20th, 2012.
The Ooarai (大洗) Girls' (女子の) Academy (学園) ship (艦) is a hybrid (ハイブリッド)
design (デザイン), with the base (ベース) coming from the Zuikaku (瑞鶴) and the
bridge (艦橋部分) from the Akagi (赤城).

It seems strange that they chose to do this, since they didn't hybridize anything
else in the series.
okanaganDec 11, 2012 1:20 PM
Dec 11, 2012 1:32 PM
Nov 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
A Tiger fan is yet again disappointed.

Some people were wondering where the Tiger crew is going to come from. It's obvious - the girls in tan coveralls who are back at the shop fixing it, the Vehicle Club.

It's Stalingrad, all right. The Oorai team huddled in blankets in the cold, with no food, unprepared for a Russian winter. The History team had it right.

German soldiers after the battle of Stalingrad -

Pravda should have worn ski pants with their military jackets. It would reinforce their hardcore cold-weather-ready image, while still looking cute.
Dec 11, 2012 1:54 PM
Oct 2012
A sign of a good show from a writer's viewpoint is that it answers the obvious questions that arise during the course of the story. GuP is a good show in this regard.

Many people have wondered why the Oourai tanks are so cheap compared to the other schools. Now we know. They downsized during budget cuts.

They answered the "why did they wait" part, both with a humorous answer (she needed her nap) and a human answer (enjoyed making them feel despair, which was obvious both before and after this scene).

Another little tidbit that was fun to see is that Darjeeling speaks Russian. Or at least has read A Clockwork Orange.
Dec 11, 2012 3:00 PM

Nov 2009
That cliffhanger, serously?.....................
Dec 11, 2012 3:07 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Well, Hell.
Dec 11, 2012 3:25 PM

Nov 2011
Cliffhanger, whyyyyyyy???????

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 11, 2012 3:38 PM

Nov 2011
Ahh cliffhanger!

Intense fighting in the snow this episode, almost reminds me how cold it is these days from where I am tbh.
Dec 11, 2012 4:31 PM

Oct 2012
In Post #78, Takuan_Soho surprised me with his point about how a good story should raise questions in the viewer's mind and then answer them later. I guess it sounds obvious, but I hadn't thought of it that way before. I'll admit I don't know much about literature. I certainly get the point.

We all remember the last scene of Episode 1. The camera slowly zooms back from the tank shed and we see the entire school yard, and the entire town and then ... what the heck? The whole things is on a giant ... uh ... aircraft carrier!

Okay, well, you think about it rationally and you quickly realize that the high school and the Sunkus store are going to get in the way of aircraft takeoff and recovery operations. So "aircraft carrier" isn't quite the right word. Very little explanation has been given since then, but we have seen that every other girls' school is located on a some kind of giant ship as well.

Okay... well... we now realize that "aircraft carrier" was the wrong terminology. But ... turns out ... "ship" isn't quite the right word either! This was finally revealed at the start of Episode 8 when we saw the brass plate on the door. No, they didn't use the generalized Japanese word that means "ship" ( 船 ). They used this word: 艦. In combination with other Japanese characters, 艦 can mean a lot of things. But it ALWAYS somehow refers to a naval vessel, a battleship, a cruiser, a fleet, the captain, missiles that can hit ships. etc. You can easily check this by doing a Google Image search for 艦 and you will immediately see what I mean. It isn't necessary to consult a Japanese dictionary.

Something else of interest is that back on November 20th the GaruPan producers sent out a tweet when some fans asked about which aircraft carrier they had used as a model. When the GaruPan people tweeted back, they did NOT use the word "aircraft carrier" but they did use 艦, making it 100% clear that the girls' school is located on a military vessel.

Panzerfahren / Senshadou is a kind of martial art, along with karate and judo. "Senshadou is not war," the characters have said. In addition, there are those girls below decks wearing the white sailor suits and white sailor caps. Another tweet explained that they are studying fisheries. That isn't war either.

But it is now 100% clear that these schools are located on top of warships. This raises a LOT of questions in my mind.

I guess I have no option but to keep watching the show in order to get some answers.
okanaganDec 11, 2012 5:00 PM
Dec 11, 2012 4:39 PM

Sep 2008
i am looking a photoshop version of this: http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/mutopis/1355240126152.jpg

it had several sodoko clones in it, has anyone seeing it?
Dec 11, 2012 4:45 PM

Feb 2012
DAT DANCE... it's back :D
and lol'd at people's reactions~

Chance is high that they won this... but still, we can't make sure of it :|
Dec 11, 2012 4:49 PM

Oct 2012
Hi Mutopsis,

Those aren't clones. Yes, a lot of people think they look like clones.

From left to right you are lookng at Gomoyo, Sodoko and Pazobi.

Look carefully. They are not really so similiar. But they all happen to have the same hairstyle which is called a "bob cut". There is a long tradition that the members of their committee always have this same haircut. I think it looks nice.
Dec 11, 2012 5:03 PM

Sep 2008
okanagan said:
Hi Mutopsis,

Look carefully. They are not really so similiar. But they all happen to have the same hairstyle which is called a "bob cut". There is a long tradition that the members of their committee always have this same haircut. I think it looks nice.

other than that, I am still looking for the photoshop version, it had several copies making into an army, i am looking for the pic.
Dec 11, 2012 5:04 PM

Feb 2011
okanagan said:
Hi Mutopsis,

lol, I believe he didn't mean they are real clone. It is just a way of calling them collectively since they all look alike and calling them Sodoko clones is just convenient. Yes, a lot of people call them clones, but they don't mean they are real clones.
The Game.
Dec 11, 2012 5:33 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:

Panzerfahren / Senshadou is a kind of martial art, along with karate and judo. "Senshadou is not war," the characters have said. In addition, there are those girls below decks wearing the white sailor suits and white sailor caps. Another tweet explained that they are studying fisheries. That isn't war either.

But it is now 100% clear that these schools are located on top of warships. This raises a LOT of questions in my mind.

I guess I have no option but to keep watching the show in order to get some answers.

Remember in episode 7, Saori said that the purpose of the "Academy Warships" were to train future world leaders and to strengthen independence, but she thought it was probably some bad politics. This does indeed raise the question as to why these things were built. There are two possibilities: one is the one you suggested, that the schools were built on existing warships, this possibility would suggest that something happened in the past to require such huge ships. The second is that the academy itself is what makes it a warship. That would raise even more questions, but I think this is the more likely interpretation since it is the lack of accomplishments leading to Oourai being shut down. Plus the Oourai ship is an old ship, but the Russian and American ships were much newer, meaning that they are not being converted but constructed as "Academy Warships" The mystery behind this will not be explained this year, but it is there lurking in the background.

I don't know how many people noticed, but in the first episode two of the other electives were "ninja skills" and the one above "Nindou", "Sendou". This is translated into "Taoist philosophy", but that isn't quite accurate. "Sen" is the character for a Taoist hermit, particularly one possessing magical powers. Kame-Sennin from Dragon Ball would be an example. So in addition to several martial arts the school also has magic.
Dec 11, 2012 6:07 PM
Oct 2010
them tanks a lil to fast me thinkz. whos tank was buried?
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Dec 11, 2012 6:18 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
KingCez said:
them tanks a lil to fast me thinkz.
Modern fuel additives can do wonders ;)

KingCez said:
whos tank was buried?
It was the StuG III
Dec 11, 2012 10:05 PM

Dec 2007
orzel286 said:
Dalek-baka said:
Very nice episode

152mm M-10 howitzer is NOT a weak gun. It only has to hit the target.

From my post in ep8 discussion thread (got deleted due to rollback, good thing I copied it):
KV-2 with 152mm M-10 howitzer - slow, big - and badass. M-10 is shooting 5,5kg shells - sheer weight of the bullet is enough to tear apart a tank. This gun is dubbed a "trollgun" or "derpgun" by world of tank players - it can seriously damage high tier tanks (like let's say: IS-3, Tiger II, Jagdtiger - info for those who don't play world f tanks, what "high tier tanks" means; added just now, 11.12.12) or (if lucky) one shot them. Main drawbacks - poor accuracy and rate of fire. KV-2 has also very nice armor, pretty much impenetrable from the front (maybe except from those 75mm guns equipped on stug and pz4).

Anyway - epic episode is epic.

The M-10 Howitzer (including the gun on the KV-2) had a "semi-AP" round that was about on par with the Soviet 85mm weapons in penetration, and a high-velocity AP round was later introduced that was on par with most heavy tank guns in that respect. However, even with HE or a non-penetrating round, it could do significant damage. The sheer force of impact from such a large shell would jar around loose objects inside the tank (and even break apart solid ones into fragments), sending them flying around like one wouldn't believe - injuring crew and damaging sensitive components. I've heard talk of the Russians recently going back to this concept and working on full-calibur tank rounds similar to a shotgun slug to do much the same thing. The advantage is that it can easily incapacitate any tank. The disadvantage is that said tank can also be easily repaired and returned to the field. Obviously, that doesn't apply here though.

The KV-2, in addition to having a low rate of fire (the M-10 used a charge system like other artillery guns, rather than self-contained cartridges) and being mechanically unreliable and a huge target, it also had an abysmal turret traverse rate. This is not dissimilar to the relatively slow traverse on Tiger tanks that faster T-34s exploited by rushing to close range, but a few orders of magnitude worse. Ironically, the closer a tank gets to it, the more useless the KV-2 becomes, so it really wasn't the best choice for running around in restricted terrain like a villiage. It died appropriately though.
Dec 11, 2012 10:06 PM

Apr 2011
Hopefully, we can see the Tiger P with a new tank crew and they'll have a 7th tank.

They said, back then Oorai had eight tanks. I wonder tank they'll discover next? I'm hoping for a Pershing or Jagphanther
MagitoDec 11, 2012 10:26 PM
Dec 11, 2012 11:19 PM
Sep 2012
It's interesting how they have tanks from all over the world while all the other schools they've faced only have tanks from their nations.

Something's missing in this thread:
Dec 11, 2012 11:53 PM

Apr 2010
oldskoolpunk said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:
A Tiger fan is yet again disappointed.

Some people were wondering where the Tiger crew is going to come from. It's obvious - the girls in tan coveralls who are back at the shop fixing it, the Vehicle Club.

It's Stalingrad, all right. The Oorai team huddled in blankets in the cold, with no food, unprepared for a Russian winter. The History team had it right.

German soldiers after the battle of Stalingrad -

Pravda should have worn ski pants with their military jackets. It would reinforce their hardcore cold-weather-ready image, while still looking cute.
Seems like the staff of the Anime underestimated cold weather as well.
You mention ski pants but the girls don't even have leg warmers, anime obsession with short skirts is taking it a bit to far in this case there is no way a girl would wear a skirt in this kind of weather without some protection against the cold.

It should be mentioned that German supply chains where cut during the battle of Stalingrad and despite there preparation they still managed to captured most of Stalingrad.
And the Eastern front was harsh on both sides not just the German side.
Dec 11, 2012 11:53 PM

Sep 2010
that tankfight.... was..... f*cking.... AMAZING!!!!!
duck team snaking like bosses.

and not only that, lot of highpoints on the ep.......
Cossack dance..... COSSACK MOTHERF*CKING DANCE

and dem pokerfaces when the anglerfish dance xD

(cant get enough of Saori's Goddess-tier Zettai Ryouiki)
[edit: heh, they should make that dance a sort of match ritual like New Zealand's All Blacks have theirs xD]

also:
yeah, wtf where you expecting, trying to have your tea on such a blizzard
CatastrophicDec 12, 2012 12:28 AM
Dec 12, 2012 12:59 AM
Nov 2012
okanagan said:
ガールズ&パンツァー Twitter公式アカウント. (2012年11月20日)
大洗女子の学園艦は、瑞鶴をベースに、艦橋部分は赤城というハイブリッドデザインとなっている。

This was tweeted from the GaruPan producers on November 20th, 2012.
The Ooarai (大洗) Girls' (女子の) Academy (学園) ship (艦) is a hybrid (ハイブリッド)
design (デザイン), with the base (ベース) coming from the Zuikaku (瑞鶴) and the
bridge (艦橋部分) from the Akagi (赤城).

It seems strange that they chose to do this, since they didn't hybridize anything
else in the series.

Yay I'am right, It's design derive from a Zuikaku type carrier. Though I did't get the Akagi[the carrier used prominately throughout the Strike Witches series] island right though.

Magito said:
Hopefully, we can see the Tiger P with a new tank crew and they'll have a 7th tank.

They said, back then Oorai had eight tanks. I wonder tank they'll discover next? I'm hoping for a Pershing or Jagphanther

It's stated on page 2 of this threat that there will be Type 3 chi nu tank commanded by the unknown 3 girls team appearing later on(it was teased in the ending of episode 9). Which makes the Tiger P the eighth team, although is unlikely, I relly want Anglerfish team to command the Tiger.

Catastrophic said:

yeah, wtf where you expecting, trying to have your tea on such a blizzard

My thoughts exactly, along the fact that how Katyusha can sleep in the blizzard.
Happy Jyuu-ni-Jyuu-ni-Jyuu-ni everyone!!
Dec 12, 2012 1:39 AM
Oct 2009
Can someone tell me where i can find the "Advance in the snow" song which the girls sing while scouting for the enemies, can't seem to find it on youtube
Dec 12, 2012 2:21 AM

Feb 2011
GastonLaBaston said:
Can someone tell me where i can find the "Advance in the snow" song which the girls sing while scouting for the enemies, can't seem to find it on youtube

This one, maybe?

The Game.
Dec 12, 2012 3:08 AM

Apr 2008
AiCon said:
It's interesting how they have tanks from all over the world while all the other schools they've faced only have tanks from their nations.
Seeing this is the national tournament, those are actually Japanese.
There's also a 4koma series in Pixiv that keep a running joke that Daarjeling is just a Japanese girl pretending to be British (and her real name is Dajiri ^^; )

About the tank... there's theory in this topic that Ooarai is actually an old ship compared to the other schools.
The possible scenario is, they've been participating in tank since the early days before retiring and in those days, it's normal to use mixed composition, any tank you could get/salvage.
In the other hand, the newer schools have the clean slate to build a whole new tank division composed of tanks from similar country, or they have the budget to rebuild their old tank lineup. While Ooarai, under difficult financial situation, had to sell away their tanks.
Dec 12, 2012 3:17 AM

Sep 2008

Borscht, snow, tanks, and cossack dancing, but where is the vodka?
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 8, 2012

252 by Cam1922 »»
Jun 18, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

okanagan - Mar 25, 2013

275 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 6, 7:57 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

168 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 6, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

194 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 5, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bippo - Nov 19, 2012

147 by kagamiiin »»
Jun 5, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.