Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2010 1:38 PM

Jan 2009
Holy shit. This movie was amazing. Easily a 10 and I don't give those out easily. I almost cried during 2 parts of the movie. The battle between him and Asuka in Unit 03 as well as the ending. Wow...incredibly moving.

I really liked the artwork in this and everything was well put together. The 2 songs they played during the two parts I mentioned seemed awkward at first, but wow...just wow did they fit perfectly.

I'm still in awe over this. Loving the movies so much more than the actual show. Although the show made me appreciate these movies so much more. I can't wait for the third movie.
Dec 27, 2010 4:12 PM

Aug 2008
Blown away and tired after watching that. That was absolutely perfect. I didn't mind the emotion they gave Rei, and I didn't mind the new character. I thought it was clever how they utilized Mari and switched things around. Good god they covered a lot of ground, too. On top of the perfect execution, everything was just so beautiful. I was satisfied with the cleaned up visuals when they released the platinum edition of the series, but this is just orgasmic.

If feels like my favorite series came back to show everyone who's boss. Not just other GAINAX productions, but every other anime that has been released since its completion.

I had a real hard time narrowing down screenshots for this collage. Two hours of beauty left me with a lot of pics I didn't have room for.

Jan 2, 2011 11:36 PM
Jul 2009
did anyone else find it strange the way Kaworu talked in this movie ? it was almost like the events of The End of Evangelion had already happened and why was lilith on the moon ?

That aside Great movie I watched the 2 rebuilds before ever seeing the series and Im glad I had they set the bar so high and the fact that the 4th isn't out for a couple more years Im probably gonna have to re-watch them all every year
Jan 3, 2011 5:14 PM

Feb 2009
great movie!!

But the soundtrack sounds like some of the BGM from the Anime Kare Kano or kare kano has eva's music!! Maybe it's just me!
EuphoricFieldJan 3, 2011 5:18 PM
Jan 5, 2011 10:32 AM
May 2010
Just rewatched this.

So at the end Shinki enter the at-fields of Zeruel (remember people use at-fields so the can meterialise into the world and keep their body safe) then pull back Rei in his own at-field (since they merging), creating a new type of lifeor organism or something ?
Jan 6, 2011 6:34 AM

Sep 2008
Words cannot describe this. I think I lost my jaw somewhere under the table. Not to mention the ocean of drool...
entauri.deviantart.com

Jan 8, 2011 3:00 PM

Jan 2008
EuphoricField said:
great movie!!

But the soundtrack sounds like some of the BGM from the Anime Kare Kano or kare kano has eva's music!! Maybe it's just me!

Shirou Sagisu did the soundtracks for both Evangelion and Kare Kano, and for whatever reason, they decided to reuse some of that soundtrack here.
Jan 12, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2008
Meh. I have mixed feelings about this. Anyway, I didn't like this movie as much as the 1st one, that's for sure.
Exaggerated action, blood floods, too much Asuka, music recycled from Karekano... Also, Mari is a pretty annoying and pointless character.
That aside, a somewhat nice movie, I guess.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Jan 14, 2011 4:11 PM

Jul 2009
I'm just amazed about this movie :O
In my opinion it was a lot better than the first one, because of more cast and the spectacular action scenes and emotional parts too.

And lastly Hikaru Utada's "Beautiful World" fits so damn well this movie and it is still flashing me, when i let the credits go by...

Need 3.0!

Jan 24, 2011 1:07 AM
Apr 2009
RenaPsychoKiller said:
Meh. I have mixed feelings about this. Anyway, I didn't like this movie as much as the 1st one, that's for sure.
Exaggerated action, blood floods, too much Asuka, music recycled from Karekano... Also, Mari is a pretty annoying and pointless character.
That aside, a somewhat nice movie, I guess.

Pretty much that.

Everything was, too much. The Angels were big, but not scary until they wanted them to be. The characters were happier as they were safer from lame Angels I guess. Not development of Mari. Asuka had the rational perspective in this film[that's a odd], and the fanservice of her only seemed to undermine her realism.

Felt more like the Diebuster sequel. Absolutely no subtlety.

I thought this was everything I hated about RahXephon. You throw Evangelion in a blender and start pasting things to a storyboard...not impressed, as it's only hinting at 1 thing but they could have covered that one thing by redoing the Death & Rebirth movie.

And that Engrish opening will haunt us for all of our days. I never want that done again.

5/10. Evangelion franchise by name only. I'm going to watch 3.0 just to see if they stick to their new plot.
Jan 26, 2011 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
SwiftBlaqness said:
did anyone else find it strange the way Kaworu talked in this movie ? it was almost like the events of The End of Evangelion had already happened and why was lilith on the moon ?

ya thats what i thought too.
Jan 26, 2011 1:51 PM

Dec 2007
Lusulpher said:
5/10. Evangelion franchise by name only. I'm going to watch 3.0 just to see if they stick to their new plot.

Why? You obviously didn't like the new plot. Of course they're going to stick to it.

Just skip 3.0
Jan 27, 2011 11:12 PM
May 2009
roy1751 said:

Evangelion was always a dark series and they throw in an scene like this as the climax sets in. Doesn't help that they ignored half the struggles that Shinji went through in the original series. I didn't mind the fanservice in the original series but as they needed to cut off stuff in order to fit into a movie I expected fanservice to be the aspect they were going to reduce. But no, they went for the opposite; added more fanservice and removed some of the actual struggles and mysteries in the story. I want to like this movie so bad, I really do but I can't shake off the extreme disappointment. I'm actually sort of pissed off right now and I almost never get angry.
I'm thinking of re-watching it right now just because I can't give up on not liking this, especially after I loved the first one and I expected this to blow the TV series out of the water.
Jan 27, 2011 11:34 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah... going into Evangelion and not expecting fanservice (which Misato mentions in ever preview)... is just stupid.

It's not like this went all generic harem blah crap. The fanservice never got in the way.

And yeah, considering we're only half way through the movie series and we're already almost to the end of the scope of the TV series, I'm thinking you just wanted to see the TV series again and aren't open to a new imagining.

There are obviously going to be "actual struggles and mysteries" it wouldn't be Evangelion if there weren't.

Just think to yourself. There are still two whole movies of content left.

Maybe then you'll like the movie more?
Jan 28, 2011 12:15 AM
May 2009
Meddigo said:
Yeah... going into Evangelion and not expecting fanservice (which Misato mentions in ever preview)... is just stupid.

It's not like this went all generic harem blah crap. The fanservice never got in the way.

And yeah, considering we're only half way through the movie series and we're already almost to the end of the scope of the TV series, I'm thinking you just wanted to see the TV series again and aren't open to a new imagining.

There are obviously going to be "actual struggles and mysteries" it wouldn't be Evangelion if there weren't.

Just think to yourself. There are still two whole movies of content left.

Maybe then you'll like the movie more?

As I said, its not that I mind the fanservice itself but they could have used their time more efficiently by not forgetting say.... the whole "what really are the evas?" instead of adding an scene with "my boobs fit perfectly".
I guess my main problem isn't with the fanservice itself, or with the changes in the story but with how the series was so much darker that it ends up making me feel like just watched Eureka 7 or something along those lines.

Liked the overall story, just didn't like how they executed it.

Anyways, I will re-watch it when I have time and who knows, I might end up liking it. Also, still really looking forward to the next 2 movies, I have no idea where its going.
Jan 28, 2011 10:21 AM
Nov 2010
this is so epic I could only give a 10/10, and this is coming from a NGE hater.

the movies remake ­­>>>>>>>>>>>> tv series, no offense for people who think otherwise.
Jan 29, 2011 9:34 AM

Jun 2010
When Tsubasa wo Kudasai started playing, I was just looking at the screen. Tears started welling up in my eyes, chills ran down my spine, etc.

There were some minor issues I had with this movie, but as that scene started playing, I just couldn't give it any lower than a 10/10. Truly a fantastic choice of the directors to have that playing in the background.
Feb 4, 2011 6:35 AM

Mar 2008
The only thing that was good was the animation quality but that wasn't a surprise with a budget of a gazillion bucks. Sadly the mecha looked like crap, I was reminded of Reideen. Just trying way too hard to look cool.

After finishing this I keep thinking that I should like this movie better than the series, they cut back on all the (in lack of a better word) symbolism, the bible stuff, all that shit they added to make it look "deep" - and made it into a more action/drama type of show. Still doesn't work, because all the characters except for one or two are so cliché and over the top that it's impossible to get in to the story.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Feb 9, 2011 11:35 PM
May 2009
ballistique said:
The only thing that was good was the animation quality but that wasn't a surprise with a budget of a gazillion bucks. Sadly the mecha looked like crap, I was reminded of Reideen. Just trying way too hard to look cool.

After finishing this I keep thinking that I should like this movie better than the series, they cut back on all the (in lack of a better word) symbolism, the bible stuff, all that shit they added to make it look "deep" - and made it into a more action/drama type of show. Still doesn't work, because all the characters except for one or two are so cliché and over the top that it's impossible to get in to the story.

Characters are cliche? you must be kidding. The main reason people hated on the series was because Shinji wasn't the badass that saves the world and then goes on to hit on asuka, misato and rei like its nothing.
Oh man but as I said previously, I didn't like the cutting of other things for the sake of action, so I guess I agree with you there.
First time I hear someone criticize the animation, tho. Somewhat curious since you already seem to dislike the original show quite a bit.
Feb 10, 2011 2:35 AM

Mar 2008
Alright then.

Shinji - Wimp.
Asuka - tsundere.
Rei - Yamato Nadeshiko.
Gendo - Abusive parent.
And they are not just a little bit of each of those clichés, they're drawn out to the max. The only ones behaving remotely like normal people are Misato and her boyfriend. And the rest of the cast besides these 6 isn't relevant to the story.

About the animation: I said it was good, it looked smooth and pretty - I just didn't like the design of the "evas" and the "angels".
ballistiqueFeb 10, 2011 10:44 AM
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Feb 11, 2011 8:28 PM

Mar 2010
So K-On! (HTT) covered this song right? Note that in this movie, the most impacting scenes have nice music. Oh the irony.

Loved the movie! But need to wait for other 2 before conclusions can be drawn
Feb 11, 2011 8:40 PM

Dec 2007
Anno really does love soundtrack dissonance.

TVTropes already has a large list of the examples found in the Eva franchise.

And yeah, K-ON also did a cover of Tsubasa wo Kudasai.
Feb 19, 2011 2:22 PM

Sep 2009
Wow this was great , can't wait for 3rd movie.
Feb 19, 2011 10:54 PM

Feb 2008
That was fucking good. Amazing production values, animation, music, etc. Unlike the first movie this one has its own story and deviates from the original series. They added some more depth to the characters, and it was a pretty awesome watch. Interested to see what they'll do with the next two movies.

Now I feel like watching the original series over again.
9/10
Feb 24, 2011 5:13 PM

Aug 2010
It was a very good movie and overall a good remake of the original series. I still can't see the "masterpiece" in this though.

9/10
Feb 27, 2011 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
guys something is wrong with MAL. i can't give this movie a score higher than 10 :(
seriously,it's rare for me to get this excited after seeing a movie,and i could easily say this movie tops both the original series and the "end of evangelion" movie.
i want to give it a score of tarzanzilion!

god i am happy i've seen this now and not 2 years ago,because i would'nt be able to wait until 2011 for the 3rd movie to come out(it is coming out in 2011 right? when is it coming out O: ?)
Mar 3, 2011 8:20 PM

Nov 2008
Far better than the series, nothing much to say.
Mar 5, 2011 3:23 AM

Sep 2010
Damn, this was pretty awesome. I can't wait for 3.0.
Mar 8, 2011 6:51 AM
Apr 2010
Veronin said:
They added some more depth to the characters,

I disagree there, my main problem with this movie is that they took a lot of depth away from the characters and replaced it with pretty animation and GAR
Mar 19, 2011 4:48 AM

Oct 2009
The end gave me chills. Waiting for 3 is gonna be painful.
Mar 21, 2011 9:28 PM

Dec 2008
spike spencer as shinji never ceases to amaze me

amazing ending but the movie bored me a little between angel fights
Mar 30, 2011 3:16 AM

Nov 2010
I never understood all the hype around Eva until now. it nearly made me cry from its epicnes. cant wait till the next movie.
Hokuto_no_FuzzMar 30, 2011 4:37 AM
Mar 30, 2011 9:26 AM

Jun 2009
Just finished the movie (i've had it on my HDD for the longest time and for some reason been holding it of)

AMAZING MOVIE and the soundtrack was phenominal. I just hate how it seems they are going more towards Rei. As you might of guessed I'm more of an Asuka person.

Asuka <3
Apr 3, 2011 10:11 PM

Mar 2009
Simply Stunning!

Nuff said

Urahara Out!!
Apr 5, 2011 10:13 PM

Nov 2008
Bought Bluray and omg it looks so amazing.
Apr 6, 2011 8:59 PM

Apr 2009
This was a lot better than the first one. Lots more new scenes. I don't like the new girl so much.
wallaApr 6, 2011 9:12 PM
Apr 11, 2011 1:52 PM

Mar 2011
Pyriegt said:
Veronin said:
They added some more depth to the characters,

I disagree there, my main problem with this movie is that they took a lot of depth away from the characters and replaced it with pretty animation and GAR

And that's why I like it more
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 14, 2011 7:10 PM

Jun 2009
I won't lie, I enjoyed the shit out of this. I disagree about this movie lacking "depth" because it is there it's just "streamlined" I guess? I hate what they did to Asuka, but that was spoiled for me long ago so I was prepared. But, it was very well done scene and the contrasting music made it better I think. I'd say, as far as emotional impact, the "Eva Angel" stuff was handled better than in the TV series. I wonder if they'll cover Asuka's backstory in the next movie, because it was only hinted at here.

And, I'm not sure if I'm much of a fan of the Shinji/Rei pairing the movies seem to be headed in but who knows where that's going.

Anyway, I want to talk about the psychological bits. The train scene was excellent and, as usual, it seems nothing does "mind fuck" quite like Evangelion. And, the scene between Asuka and Shinji in the bed was pretty good as well. As well as the new stuff centering on Rei and Gendo.

Of course, as is natural with Eva, there are still alot of questions out there and I'm fine with that. I'm just not a fan of Mari, the new girl, I'm not really sure if she's needed and what exactly here purpose is. Also, Asuka seems more "tsundere" than she was before by just a little bit.

Anyway, I'll settle with a 9/10 for now. I honestly still prefer the TV version, especially EoE. But, who knows? Maybe it'll grow on me..
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 18, 2011 6:12 PM
Sep 2009
Oh my god, Shinji decided to stop whining and stand-up for something on his own. Well that fixes my biggest problem with the original series, and I honestly like this movie more for it. Aside from that, I like that Rei is coming out of her shell much more than in the TV series and Gendo is portrayed more humanly, though he still remains the manipulative bastard he's was in the original. Mari didn't have a lot to do here, but I'm looking forward for future development of her in the remaining two movies. They also changed Asuka's character quite a bit, interested in seeing how that plays out. Great movie and not much to complain about, might make an Eva fan out of me.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 23, 2011 12:17 PM

Jul 2010
Really really great Movie. After watching the first movie i didn't think that in the secound there would be so many thing different then in the series. At first i hoped that the changes wouldn't make the movie bad but it was getting better and better.

My opinion for everyone who has watched nge it is a must see.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Apr 29, 2011 10:33 PM
Mar 2009
I'm have yet to watch the original anime and my opinion is based solely on the movie.

Wow! This one was SO-FREAKING-AMAZING. Less whining/bitching and more comedy/seriousness/and drama. Gainax incorporating their signature ridiculous mecha jump kick was awesome. Mari seems like a really strange character. She didn't give a crap about anything and activated Beast mode without even caring about her own self. Asuka's accident was so obvious when she talked to Katsuragi over the cellphone and talked about how she changed so much...Preview showed her alive though, so that's good.

The final battle between Shinji and that angel was amazing, but it felt like that piano score was WAY out of place...and then I was confused at the end with the whole transformation and the guy who apparently is Shinji's gay lover.

Can't wait for the last 2 movies!
May 8, 2011 3:39 AM

Dec 2010

He was like "Leave my boyfriend alone" in the last scene.

Also „This time, I’ll be sure to bring you happiness”.

Troll.
May 11, 2011 5:21 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, didn't expect this. I loved this version. =O

I'm so glad that it went down a different path than the tv series. This was sooo much better.

Mari is <3, the animation is <3, the storyline is <3. So good. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 15, 2011 5:12 PM

Jul 2009
I can't believe they killed her off... until I saw the previews, then I am like... omg, that's even worse than death.
May 26, 2011 8:01 PM

Jan 2011
This is way too awesome compared to the original series.
The awakening mode of Shinji change my personal view towards him.
Jun 16, 2011 1:06 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty good movie. I was so pissed until i saw the preview. Looks like Asukas still alive. Hopefully asuka has more of a role in the next movie.
Ragna92Dec 20, 2011 1:21 PM
Jun 28, 2011 12:51 PM

Mar 2011
Gah!

I'm still reeling from watching this.

Brilliant. Really liked it, it had me on the edge of my seat several times. I see they've changed the romantic interest from Asuka to Rei, and all the other changes then fall into place, based on that switch.

Fun to watch, astetically pleasing, and engaging to the extreme.

Top notch 10/10!
Jul 6, 2011 5:32 AM

Jul 2009
Not really a fan of all the changes but the visuals and music leaves nothing to wish for.
9/10 for now, might raise it if the changes they made amount to something great in the final movies but for now it leaves me kind of dissatisfied.
Aug 24, 2011 7:00 AM
Sep 2007
Entertaining movie, great animation, but still not as great as masterpiece original series and EoE.

Mari was so-so, good character for fanarts, I guess.
Asuka was one of good points of the movie.

8/10
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The rating

KhoaVN - Aug 29

12 by Lynx_Raide »»
Aug 30, 4:52 AM

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.