Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 11, 2011 4:53 PM

Jul 2010
Killua, that was one of the beastest things I've ever seen.

Leorio = a fail xD

5/5
Dec 11, 2011 5:02 PM
Dec 2010
I found this post on another forum, and I think it;s an interesting way to look at the heart scene's censorship:

While I am resoundingly in favour of the old anime in virtually every conceivable regard, the heart removal scene in this episode--taken purely in isolation--is something I prefer in this new adaptation. There's something subtle about it--and something very, very clever.

The removal of music is sufficient to bestow the scene with some gravitas on its own, but it was having Killua wrap the heart up in the cloth and have the screen play perform simply to the sound of the heart beat that was so achingly clever; and it's all down to what it does for the imagination.

Hiding the heart from view is necessary for the time-slot--and I won't pretend that what's happened here is anything other than a response to that--but it's how this anime takes that restriction and uses it to its advantage to evoke something sinister that I find staggering.

After Killua does his work, when you hear the heart beat sound start up when the screen dashes to Joness's profile, your imagination gets to work. You start to think: "Did Killua just...?" And then the screen turns to Killua, who doesn't flagrantly show the thing off to reach an immediate climax; he lets the thing pump away, hidden so weakly from view, in blood-soaked bit of cloth. The sight of the heart itself couldn't be more close--but you never get that catharsis...you never get that immediate shock--and this makes the scene that bit more disturbing. You never quite get to see the full extent of the horror.

If Killua had revealed the heart from the outset, that would have necessarily been the climax to a crescendo of tension. There's no way, I believe, that you can maintain a sense of unease when a pulsing human heart is in full view. The full extent of the deed would be in full view, and there would be nothing more to say about it: the shock is there, and that's that. It is because Killua leaves it up to your imagination to imagine the gore oozing inside that bit of cloth that the sight is horrific. As a result of the cloth being blood-soaked--nothing more than a paltry curtain--the heart is never more than a thin veil away from a terrible sight: it's achingly close. Having Killua go through the trouble of tying it up in a knot, suggesting continued tampering with a functioning human organ, makes the interference on his part feel disturbingly gratuitous. He doesn't outright show Joness why he's suddenly feeling cold, he lets the realisation slowly dawn upon him...but it's never actually confirmed. We all know it, but we're never quite get that closure. We're still left in palpable anticipation. Killua invites your imagination to consider the worst--to consider just how ugly the thing looks, and continue to gather suspense for the impending sight of it. The disquieting crescendo can keep building--and that makes the scene very affecting.

But there is no climax. You get close to it, but you never quite see it. All the while, Killua just holds that pulsing bag in his hand--a symbol representing an impending horror. Worse than actually finding a zombie in Resident Evil, for example, is the knowledge that you're about to find a zombie behind a door--and it's that tension before you encounter something you're not sure you're prepared for that makes your stomach turn. Like getting a vaccination, it's the wait that kills you; the process is brief and lacks impact. The effect is emulated here; having the heart wrapped in the bag represents that door or that wait--it's the difference between the tension being released and the sickening sense of tension being maintained. The fact that Killua never crushes the heart leaves its horror in tact....because it's still there. You can't get that climax to release the tension. He places it back in Joness's fingers and its relative horror never subsides, because that climax--the full reveal of the heart--is never satisfied. It's still there, so close but so far away, the quietude of the scene only augmenting the unchanging sentiment of tension--a sense of tension that, even when the electronic counter changes to '3', never goes away.

For something born out of need to meet the demands of an early-morning time-slot, I think that's absolutely genius.
Dec 11, 2011 8:08 PM

Sep 2011
Good episode,Killua being a badassputting aside they censor the hearth(predictable as hell) it was good,may not had the same impact but it was ok i really like it,it was a smart way to do it to PG13 anime and as many say this anime is not watch because of gore.

Leorio being a pervert was funny and hearing Lelute laught as Satoko make me smile,and she looks nice with pink hair,also now i know a easy prey to play Rock paper scissors!

And remeber guys dont ever compare the Original anime with his Remake because most of the time you will get disappointed,just enjoy it and if you cant just don't watch it so you don't get disappointed when they do shit like the hearth.
Dec 11, 2011 8:20 PM
Apr 2011
killua is almost too powerful. very fun episode and i cant tell you anymore how bad ass the ending song is.
Dec 11, 2011 9:40 PM

Mar 2007
RobUsaB said:
The bag is the same color as the murderer's shirt. There is no hole in the back of his shirt, so you can just assume Killua is badass enough to remove your heart, but also green enough to recycle the hole he made in your shirt to make a nice baggie for your heart. And then give it back. Such a lovely gift.

*lol* Killua is awesome. I have no complaints about this episode and will not compare it to the older version. In fact, I liked that they changed it. Also, Gon was never freaked out by what Killua did in the original.
Dec 12, 2011 3:24 AM

Sep 2010
My Thoughts to Previous Comments They're highlighted in blue for your convenience!
===

===
My Personal Opinion on Just the Episode Alone

===
The Whole Point Is...
People, don't COMPARE the two adaptations, just watch the series and focus on its good points! These arguments just go around in circles with no real conclusion anyway.
DaisukiDec 18, 2011 2:20 PM

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Dec 12, 2011 5:38 AM
Jul 2009
hkBattousai2 said:
A heart doesn't beat when it is separated from the body. Because, if I'm remembering correctly, it get the beating signals from the spine or from the brain. So, that "guy's heart beating in Killua's hand" scene didn't make any sense.

The censorship was very very disappointing. What target audience are they aiming for? Small children? They are ruining the entire show, if it goes as is, there won't be any decent scenes to make good memories out of this remake series.

The story is flowing too fast. It is about more than double speed. I hope they wouldn't cut the story in half, as it was done in Dragon Ball Kai.

you are wrong.. i work in OR and when do heart transplantation. the heart still beat for few seconds until it stop due to electrisity
Dec 12, 2011 6:53 AM

Sep 2008
A smile and possibly laughter is often the reaction to a shock...fairly basic social reaction when the person does not know what to do. I don't think Gon is any different in this version than the old one though, very similar reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ve_1hHJLSk
this is superior in every way.
Dec 12, 2011 9:12 AM
Feb 2010
I don´t care about Jones, he still ripped his heart out so what´s the problem?

It's the round of Leorio I didn't like that much.
Dec 12, 2011 1:14 PM

Oct 2007
BlackListHunter said:
so gon and killua were watching how leorio was fingering that girl? the fak?

In the original, Tonpa actually covers Gon's eyes while Leorio checks Leroute. They didn't show that in this one, but probably only because they were looking to "save time."

I really did like the episode overall. The bit about betting on Leorio's age just went to show how flustered he was. I was disappointed that they didn't show the gore, but the way they changed the scene to make it more "appropriate" for younger audiences was brilliant.

I think what I'm most disappointed with in this adaptation is that they're trying to make a show that isn't for kids, which constantly gets confused as a kid's show, for kids. I love that they're redoing it and that it's getting love, but it's that same relationship with VIZ getting the original 62 episodes and butchering the English version. -sigh- Can't have everything.
Dec 12, 2011 1:47 PM

Dec 2009
I liked Leorio's gambling with that woman, it sure was interesting to watch because she really knows how to make you confused and scared. And just with words, which is awesome.
  • Leorio's angel scene was so cute. XD

• The murderer guy has such a psycho-face, scary.

• I really like the style of his flashback:

• About Killua; the bag holding the heart wasn't bad, but showing the bare heart would be much better. Well, i guess Killua's expression makes up for it and afterall it was better than i expected, i may give this remake a 10 in the end.

• Plus, that face was so Hisoka-like:

• They have to spend 50 hours with food, books and TV on the small room? Kill them! /sarcasm
Dec 12, 2011 2:12 PM

Oct 2011
AriSky said:
BlackListHunter said:

In the original, Tonpa actually covers Gon's eyes while Leorio checks Leroute. They didn't show that in this one, but probably only because they were looking to "save time."

Actually, this is only present in the 1999 anime series (in which, I feel, Gon is treated more like a child). In the manga, this never happens. So yeah, Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Tonpa all watch Leorio feel up a convict.
Dec 12, 2011 2:24 PM

May 2008
why are there people mentioning the manga here? *´O`*;/
it is pretty clear that..

Panaru said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

on the first post..
Dec 12, 2011 3:17 PM
Jun 2010
AriSky said:

I think what I'm most disappointed with in this adaptation is that they're trying to make a show that isn't for kids, which constantly gets confused as a kid's show, for kids. -sigh- Can't have everything.

Yeah but it's all about the money like Leorio said. They want to get more fans and most of the current fans are older so they want to also attract the younger ones. This gets HxH more popular as a franchise and becomes more popular as a manga too and may make it top 3 in jump or something cool like that. It makes it more popular this way and might make a stronger fan base for outside of Japan too since it's being remade and because some people tend to stay away from old animes. I agree with you though, wish it was more like the original but I'm content with HxH being back and having a chance to be seen reanimated and going where the old HxH hasn't gone yet.

AriSky said:

I love that they're redoing it and that it's getting love, but it's that same relationship with VIZ getting the original 62 episodes and butchering the English version.[/color]

Lol, come on, the dub wasn't as good as the sub but would you call it butchered? Hisoka and killua had a fitting voice but did Gon sound horrible.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Dec 12, 2011 4:17 PM

Apr 2008
Toto_y_Moi said:
Bio said:
Now, see, this is the one valid complaint about it, but it hardly seems related to any shounenizing or censorship. What Killua did is still messed up. If they wanted Gon to freak out he definitely could have. I can't really say why they're having Gon seem unbothered. Maybe they wanted more justification of his loyalty to Killua. Point is, it seems like very much an independent decision, not motivated by any intended audience.

Actually, this is important to understanding Gon's character. You're supposed to be bothered about this aspect of his personality, because it definitely comes into play later. Gon isn't as simple a protagonist as he seems.

Which is perfectly fair, and you can disagree with their choice in that respect, but my main point is that I don't see how that decision can be motivated by censorship.
Dec 12, 2011 4:30 PM
Jun 2010
Bio said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
Bio said:
Now, see, this is the one valid complaint about it, but it hardly seems related to any shounenizing or censorship. What Killua did is still messed up. If they wanted Gon to freak out he definitely could have. I can't really say why they're having Gon seem unbothered. Maybe they wanted more justification of his loyalty to Killua. Point is, it seems like very much an independent decision, not motivated by any intended audience.

Actually, this is important to understanding Gon's character. You're supposed to be bothered about this aspect of his personality, because it definitely comes into play later. Gon isn't as simple a protagonist as he seems.

Which is perfectly fair, and you can disagree with their choice in that respect, but my main point is that I don't see how that decision can be motivated by censorship.

Hmmm, maybe because Gon is open minded and looks at all the good things in people instead of the bad. I remember that being said in the original anime. He doesn't really judge people even if they are bad for the most part.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Dec 12, 2011 4:37 PM
Aug 2011
Psyche_Izaya said:
why are there people mentioning the manga here? *´O`*;/
it is pretty clear that..

Panaru said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

on the first post..

Since it's worded as "manga beyond this episode", I took it more as "don't talk about events in the manga that haven't happened in the anime yet". I could be wrong though. *shrug*

Toto_y_Moi said:
AriSky said:
BlackListHunter said:

Actually, this is only present in the 1999 anime series (in which, I feel, Gon is treated more like a child). In the manga, this never happens. So yeah, Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Tonpa all watch Leorio feel up a convict.

Ugh, this is one of those details that made me dislike Nippon Animation's treatment of Gon -_-
Dec 12, 2011 5:28 PM

Dec 2009
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Bio said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
Bio said:

Hmmm, maybe because Gon is open minded and looks at all the good things in people instead of the bad. I remember that being said in the original anime. He doesn't really judge people even if they are bad for the most part.

It's exactly what Ollyx2OxenFree said, Gon trusts people. It wouldn't make sense to show him scared now if ever since Killua said to him that he was an assassin, Gon didn't care at all. Even when Killua was about to hurt him, he didn't move. He just stared like he was saying: "Okay, that's what you did for living, so what?"
That's one of the reasons why Killua becomes friends with Gon. I mean, after he killed the blonde-guy, Leorio was totally scared but Killua didn't seem to bother. However if Gon was the one scared, i bet Killua would feel bad somehow.
Dec 12, 2011 6:05 PM
Aug 2011
Liinah said:
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Bio said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
Bio said:

It's exactly what Ollyx2OxenFree said, Gon trusts people. It wouldn't make sense to show him scared now if ever since Killua said to him that he was an assassin, Gon didn't care at all. Even when Killua was about to hurt him, he didn't move. He just stared like he was saying: "Okay, that's what you did for living, so what?"
That's one of the reasons why Killua becomes friends with Gon. I mean, after he killed the blonde-guy, Leorio was totally scared but Killua didn't seem to bother. However if Gon was the one scared, i bet Killua would feel bad somehow.

Why would they make Gon freak out though? In the manga, Gon has the same indifference towards Killua's actions. I think it's less that Gon trusts Killua (though he does) enough to not be afraid of him but more that he has a very logical and aloof thinking process. They did state that this was a death match after all, and for Gon, Killua's method of winning doesn't matter in the least, only that it leads to Johness's death. The fact that he isn't bothered by it, as Toto mentioned, is intentionally disturbing.
Dec 12, 2011 7:11 PM

Mar 2009
Wow, that was pretty yawn-inducing.
Dec 12, 2011 8:53 PM

Nov 2008
Liked it. The way they were portraying that guy as been strong and all was funny. From the beginning, I was feeling sorry for him, not Killua. The only thing I didn't know, was that it would end that fast. Good episode.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Dec 13, 2011 12:01 AM
Aug 2010
lol at Leorio Angel scene

Killua part could have been better...
Dec 13, 2011 2:40 AM

Dec 2010
I haven't read the manga and neither watched the old version of anime, so I found the heart ripping scene quite awesome. Of course after checking out the original you could say that hiding the heart in a bag is lame, but how can you bitch about it without realizing that the bag was the murderer's shirt? Come on! It had the same colour.
Dec 13, 2011 4:40 AM

Jul 2011
This is the best episode so far! <3 The Heart scene + leorio's messing up xD I really don't know what to say xD
Dec 13, 2011 4:59 AM
Aug 2011
Leorio angel scene so funny... LOL
Dec 13, 2011 7:01 AM

Jun 2008
Many people complain about the heard but my complain is different if i compared it to the older series. It's how the director looks like a kid who just takes the manga panels and makes them anime with no talent what so ever of putting actual "directing" into the scene except if his forced about something like in the heart scene.
Just look at the old version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ve_1hHJLSk
You see even in the old version the heart scene had it's flows. In the old version it was a little too fast not allowing the suspense to be built while in the new version with the heart beating they did just that.
But the real flaw of the new series will be viewed in the description of that mass murderer dude. Look how more inspired in the old version is with the scene of that cop losing it's flesh and staff. Sure those scenes weren't really manga staff but i think directors that can even add something to a scene making it more dramatic are the best.
The new version had more wall crushing but actually that didn't make him any more intimating that just crushing a small part of the wall after that description.

Another thing that actually makes this series kind of worst is the vivid colors. Same thing happens in many series aimed for kids. They put so much vivid coloring that looks like a god damn amusement park making you lose some ability of viewing it seriously and feel the realism of it.

Btw small detail. Did anyone noticed how more natural the rocky floor and walls looked at the older version. Wow! the new guys got pawn on that department although the characters are better drawn in the new one.
Oh yeah! and the murderer has a better voice in the new version.
MonadDec 13, 2011 7:07 AM
Dec 13, 2011 10:34 PM

Nov 2007
^ The cop part was actually straight out of the manga, so it's the new version that skipped over it. I guess they wanted to finish Killua's fight this episode.
It's a good scene so I missed it a bit, but I suppose it's not essential.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Dec 14, 2011 3:45 PM
Dec 2011
This version did censor things quite a bit: I mean, instead of presenting the woman who Leorio gambled with as a psychologist who made people suicide, she was presented with a different crime, and they didn't really show Killua's heart ripping scene as intensely as they could have. You could say that, of course, the heart being in a bag made of his shirt makes it seem more suspenseful but the shirt was sucked into the hole, not ripped out. There's a hole in that theory. So, if it wasn't the shirt, why would Killua have a paper bag for gruesome things? He came here for a game, for entertainment, and he had been trained to kill since he was three. Though him giving back the heart was funny, I agree.

Also, with the bright colours, it does give a sense of life into the animation, and more kid-friendly, but it stops the atmosphere of how unforgiving the Hunter Exam is. It doesn't wholly get through the feeling that the people who pass the hunter test can be unforgiving, and that's why when presented with Gon's sometimes aloof and trusting attitude that they want to help him. It's just that kind of world, and somehow, sometimes it doesn't feel that way, which I worry sometimes for in the future Gon influencing others comes into play many many times...

I guess I could some it up by the new series being 'cuter', and the old series being 'cooler' (artwise). You can't really criticise the quality of art in the old one since it really was old, but how they're presented... it gives me that impression. It's whether the watcher is more adapted to the newer style of art, or could appreciate the old style of art.

Although both have it's good and weak points, somehow right now I think the old one still has more impact. Maybe in the future of this new series it would change. If I was too harsh, I'm sorry. >_<
Dec 14, 2011 6:18 PM

Jun 2009
If gore affects your enjoyment of a series, your standards are too low.

Although I agree that the time-slot should be changed, and that Gon's reaction should have been retained.
Dec 15, 2011 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
That was an odd-looking heart...
Seriously fuck that lame censoring.
Dec 15, 2011 8:45 PM

Oct 2010
Leorio hentai xD
Dec 15, 2011 10:06 PM

Jan 2008
colbub said:
This version did censor things quite a bit: I mean, instead of presenting the woman who Leorio gambled with as a psychologist who made people suicide, she was presented with a different crime, and they didn't really show Killua's heart ripping scene as intensely as they could have. You could say that, of course, the heart being in a bag made of his shirt makes it seem more suspenseful but the shirt was sucked into the hole, not ripped out. There's a hole in that theory. So, if it wasn't the shirt, why would Killua have a paper bag for gruesome things? He came here for a game, for entertainment, and he had been trained to kill since he was three. Though him giving back the heart was funny, I agree.

Also, with the bright colours, it does give a sense of life into the animation, and more kid-friendly, but it stops the atmosphere of how unforgiving the Hunter Exam is. It doesn't wholly get through the feeling that the people who pass the hunter test can be unforgiving, and that's why when presented with Gon's sometimes aloof and trusting attitude that they want to help him. It's just that kind of world, and somehow, sometimes it doesn't feel that way, which I worry sometimes for in the future Gon influencing others comes into play many many times...

I guess I could some it up by the new series being 'cuter', and the old series being 'cooler' (artwise). You can't really criticise the quality of art in the old one since it really was old, but how they're presented... it gives me that impression. It's whether the watcher is more adapted to the newer style of art, or could appreciate the old style of art.

Although both have it's good and weak points, somehow right now I think the old one still has more impact. Maybe in the future of this new series it would change. If I was too harsh, I'm sorry. >_<

Brilliant first post. Said everything I wanted to say but I was way too lazy and just said "whatever".
Dec 16, 2011 7:08 AM

Aug 2011
Some music in the heart scene would have helped but I guess it was good enough.
Dec 16, 2011 7:34 AM

May 2008
Good job Madhouse...
You succeeded in making a heart look like a pair of bloody balls-
Dec 16, 2011 1:03 PM

Oct 2011
colbub said:

Actually, aside from Killua wrapping Johness' heart up in his shirt cloth, the new series was closer to the manga than the original.

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/71821-Hunter-X-Hunter-Anime-Fall-2011?p=2707026&viewfull=1#post2707026

I did an in depth comparison here, if you're interested.
Dec 17, 2011 6:29 AM

Sep 2008
in depth my ass, very poor comparison. I hardly agree with any of the points you make. Even Jones eyes in the old series are closer to the manga than the new eyes. "fixed" ain't the word, butchered maybe.

The buildup to Johness as a scary condender is very well done in the Madhouse series. <- no it sucked.

Then again if a person says the heart scene was handled better in 2011 series I know that he knows nothing about anime at all. Carry on.
Dec 17, 2011 8:29 AM

Dec 2009
Mephz said:
Then again if a person says the heart scene was handled better in 2011 series I know that he knows nothing about anime at all. Carry on.

True. To me both versions had Killua's scene really fast so that's not something to complain about it. The heart in the bag is the problem, honestly i was already expecting they wouldn't show the heart, but i don't think it was that bad. But of course, original is way better in that aspect. The best part wasn't shown, when Killua smashs the heart - it was awesome to see the blonde guy begging for it while Killua didn't care at all. In this version he didn't care as well, but he gave back the heart without doing a thing.
Dec 17, 2011 11:04 AM

Oct 2011
Mephz said:
in depth my ass, very poor comparison. I hardly agree with any of the points you make. Even Jones eyes in the old series are closer to the manga than the new eyes. "fixed" ain't the word, butchered maybe.

The buildup to Johness as a scary condender is very well done in the Madhouse series. <- no it sucked.

Haha, if you think Johness looks at all similar to his manga incarnation in the 1999 version, you must be blind. The eyes, the hair, the cheekbones--all different.

And my deductions mean "[I know] nothing about anime at all"? Laughable. You say that with such pride.
Dec 17, 2011 11:35 AM

May 2009
.............. I dunno if I like this.
Dec 18, 2011 12:18 AM

Oct 2011
Mephz said:

Heart scene was handled better in 2011, and I still know about anime better than you, and you're retarded
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2011 3:36 AM
May 2007
Mephz said:

The moment I saw the heart wrapped like that I felt very idiotic and my high expectations all crashed.
Dec 19, 2011 12:30 PM

Aug 2008
You really have to wonder how Leorio became a Hunter when he embarrasses hiimself like this. It was painful to watch. He really should have just taken Gon's advice. It didn't matter anyway. As everyone saw, they had this "in the bag" the whole time.

I know, that was terrible.

Dec 19, 2011 1:54 PM

May 2009
TheHours said:

Gon looked freaked out? He was smiling so to me it was more like he was shocked but at the same time glad that Johness was in fact small fry compared to Killua

Also this scene not only established the fact that Killua is a cold blooded assassin, but also that Gon himself is pretty unsettling. It's been subtle but even before this scene Gon's had a pretty nonchalant attitude toward a lot of things that most shounen protagonists would be disgusted by or would feel some heroic indignation. And that to me makes him a much more interesting character.

Thank you for grabbing that image because I was far too lazy to do it myself. You're saying that is a smile? You see that as a genuine smile? To me, that looks like Gon is struggling a bit with how he feels. Like his teeth are clenched, his eyebrows raised so high..it's all forced and awkward. Like there's obvious shock there and relief that Killua is okay. Plus, I swear his eyes or eyebrows were totally twitching at that part. I really need to rewatch my DVDs now haha I suppose saying 'freaked out' was strong. But that's a BIG reaction on Gon's part since as mentioned by others..he seems so indifferent otherwise.

Anyway, I've given up on this 2011 Hunderp being better than the original and throw out all expectations. I'm just going to enjoy at 'as-is' and not throw a betch fit.
Dec 20, 2011 6:33 AM

Oct 2011
Glitterati said:
Thank you for grabbing that image because I was far too lazy to do it myself. You're saying that is a smile? You see that as a genuine smile? To me, that looks like Gon is struggling a bit with how he feels. Like his teeth are clenched, his eyebrows raised so high..it's all forced and awkward. Like there's obvious shock there and relief that Killua is okay. Plus, I swear his eyes or eyebrows were totally twitching at that part. I really need to rewatch my DVDs now haha I suppose saying 'freaked out' was strong. But that's a BIG reaction on Gon's part since as mentioned by others..he seems so indifferent otherwise.

Nah, it's a completely still frame in the 1999 series. If we're comparing reactions, here's Gon's reaction to that scene in the manga and 2011 series:

Dec 20, 2011 12:35 PM

Dec 2007
Glitterati said:

Anyway, I've given up on this 2011 Hunderp being better than the original and throw out all expectations. I'm just going to enjoy at 'as-is' and not throw a betch fit.

To me it looks like Gon is slightly unbalanced in that pic, and from what I've heard from later in THE MANGA, we learn that Gon isn't exactly...normal for a shounen protagonist anyway, and probably *is* a little strange.

Anyway, both versions of this have their good sides. The 99 version looks slightly more accurate, but whining about censorship is ridiculous. THEY BOTH CLEARLY SHOWED KILLUA RIPPING A HEART OUT. That you didn't get to see the heart is irrelevant. The truth is, neither of these versions would be considered "kid friendly" enough to air in America.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jan 14, 2012 5:15 PM

Oct 2009
Nooo i was looking forward to Killua holding that bloody heart on his hand :((

At this rate they are gonna fuck up the Greed arc D:
Jan 20, 2012 8:02 PM

Jul 2010
Caydra said:
Didn't know that Junken is this complicated O.o

its serious business yo.

Meddigo said:
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Pic in the spoiler shows how it should have been.

im not into gore but that scene was probably one of the highlights in the whole show, i can think of one more involving kuripika, but its a spoiler )happens in original though)

Mar 25, 2012 1:59 AM

Jan 2012
they changed the rock paper scissors part.. even the bridge on ending of the "game."
i don't know if it is more truer to the manga but stop changing my childhood memories! T_T
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
May 10, 2012 7:52 AM

Jul 2009
It wasn't quite as chilling as the original anime...but that could just be because I already know how much of a badass Killua is so I'll let it slide.
Jun 13, 2012 10:07 AM

Nov 2010
Killua is freakin' awesome really.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 105 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2013

150 by oozePOP »»
10 hours ago

» Knov's shoes

Guaxinito - Yesterday

2 by MER0S »»
Yesterday, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1046 by Ougi0Best0Girl »»
Sep 20, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 15, 2013

162 by samagra7 »»
Sep 19, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

933 by LizIsListing »»
Sep 18, 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.