Forum Settings
Forums

**Updated ** One Piece to Be Broadcasted Simultaneously Starting from the Episode 403

New
May 15, 2009 3:25 AM

Mar 2007
Shonen Jump announced that Funimation together with One Piece producer Toei Animation, Co. Ltd. publisher Shueisha, Inc. and broadcaster Fuji Television Network, Inc. have arranged to have One Piece animation broadcasted with English subtitles on One Piece official website.
The broadcasts will start on May 30th with episode 403, one hour after the episode has been aired in Japan, and will then be continued each week there after. At the same time Funimation will offer the series starting from episode 1.
Kanji Kazahaya, Director of Toei Animation had this to say about this next step:
"With digital technology drastically changing the media environment surrounding broadcasts, we've gained the understanding and cooperation of Shueisha, the publisher of the original manga, and Fuji Television, which broadcasts the show in Japan, the primary target audience. With help from FUNimation, our One Piece partner in North America, we've managed to make a One Piece simulcast a reality. With this simulcast, we'll be able to deliver a version of One Piece with much "fresher" excitement and greatness than ever before to even more viewers in the United States than ever before. It's incredibly exciting."

Source: Shounen Jump

NEWS UPDATED ON 30th of June 2009.
===========================
Today the Shonen Jump website announced that they, for the time being, will be closing down the service for the One Piece Simulcasting.This was cause by an unauthorized individual deliberately accessing the servers and posting the 403rd episode online. So as of this point, no episodes will be sent for an unknown time period.
ZirgoJun 29, 2009 4:51 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 15, 2009 3:32 AM

May 2008
only for North America and Japan?
May 15, 2009 3:35 AM
Jul 2008
WOW AWESOME. I've been waiting for them to finally do this. Now bleach is all we need =D (though i think DB is doing a fine job as it is). I hope they'll offer episodes in 480p or some kind of high-quality streaming like Crunchyroll. But really this is phenomenal.
May 15, 2009 3:36 AM

Mar 2007
Well, I believe it will be available for the locations where Funimation has acquired rights to send it. When I entered the One Piece site I got a message saying that I didn't have the internet rights to view the content because of my geographical area.
May 15, 2009 4:27 AM

Sep 2008
Go to hell FUNi... Not only will I not be able to watch it because of region restrictions but they will send their internet bullies out to try to shut down all the subbers so I wont be able to watch it at all. Wake up streaming is not an acceptable option to fansubs.
May 15, 2009 4:38 AM

Apr 2009
Skadi said:
Go to hell FUNi... Not only will I not be able to watch it because of region restrictions but they will send their internet bullies out to try to shut down all the subbers so I wont be able to watch it at all. Wake up streaming is not an acceptable option to fansubs.

/sign
Egoistic bastards....
Steel Ball Run anime when?
May 15, 2009 4:43 AM

Aug 2007
Skadi said:

Not really? I mean, this is pretty good news all things considered. Sure there are region problems and let's be honest, One Piece, like Naruto, Bleach, etc, are way too popular worldwide to just outright stop fansubbing for it, so there will always be fansubs, it's just now there is a more legal, more attractive alternative. Now if only I could get the DVD sets...
May 15, 2009 4:52 AM

Mar 2008
Skadi said:

Anonymous deliveres!

Step 1.: Get Firefox!
Step 2.: Get the Modify Headers add-on!
Step 3.: Restart Firefox!
Step 4.: Open the Modify Headers add-on!
Step 5.: In the top left drop- down box, select add!
Step 6.: In the top left blank box, write: "X-Forwarded-For" (without ", of course)
Step 7.: In the top middle box, write: "12.13.14.15"
Step 8.: In the top right box, write: "Nvm"
Step 9.: In the top right corner, click "add"!
Step 10.: Open "Configuration" in the bottom right, and select "Open Modify Headers in a new tab?"
Step 11.: Save, exit the add-on, restart firefox.
Step 12.: Open the Modify Headers add- on. It should appear in a new tab.
Step 13.: Go to Funimation's website!
Step 14.: ???
Step 15.: Profit!
May 15, 2009 5:12 AM

Jul 2008
Aww crap! Unabled to view the website. Well One Piece has a huge fanbase so the fansubs won't shut down. Though I would have liked to be able to view the One Piece official website and get Funi's subs.

May 15, 2009 5:35 AM
Oct 2008
Skadi said:

This isn't a new license, FUNimation has had the rights to One Piece for awhile and fansubbers have still been subbing it so I'm not sure what you're worried about. Even if FUNimation went after them again I doubt most of them will just stop unless they felt like they should.
May 15, 2009 5:50 AM

May 2008
I guess this is pretty good since they offer both languages plus FUNi is offfering from episode 1+

y/n?

Music is from the soul~ ♥
May 15, 2009 5:56 AM

May 2007
Wow...this is like....just wow. This is freaking amazing news. One hour AFTER the original broadcast?!? That's even faster than all the fansub groups right now. Wow.

Now the only problem is going to the be stream quality. But I'll definitely be checking this out.

To be honest, this is how all licensed anime should be handled. Get the episode here ASAP.
May 15, 2009 8:51 AM

Sep 2008
I am being too harsh I guess. Probably right that it will have little effect on fansubbing. The positive is that distruibutors are maybe getting it or starting to anyway. I have some problems with the way FUNi does things in regards to their subs. 1 hr turn around is pretty nice but until they start delivering high quality video streams this is not a acceptable "legal" alternative to the way people are getting there OP fix in this case. I dont think its going to attract many viewers either who DL the HD subs unless they do manage to shut down their fansub competition. Atleast they arent charging for the stream , thats something too I guess.
May 15, 2009 10:10 AM

Oct 2007
Zirgo said:
Well, I believe it will be available for the locations where Funimation has acquired rights to send it. When I entered the One Piece site I got a message saying that I didn't have the internet rights to view the content because of my geographical area.

I got the same problem, it will probably only for America.

EDIT:
Dozer said:
Anonymous deliveres!

Step 6.: In the top left blank box, write: "X-Forwarded-For" (without ", of course)
Step 10.: Open "Configuration" in the bottom right, and select "Open Modify Headers in a new tab?"

Confirmed that it works, i can now access the site!
FriendlysoulMay 15, 2009 10:24 AM
May 15, 2009 11:10 AM

Apr 2007
I wonder if Funimation will even send out any C&Ds. I know they didn't when Funimation first licensed One Piece.
May 15, 2009 3:08 PM

Jan 2008
Friendlysoul said:
Dozer said:
Anonymous deliveres!

Confirmed that it works, i can now access the site!

lolwut?
Hello!
May 15, 2009 3:48 PM

Dec 2006
I'm actually impressed at the quality of the stream, was expecting youtube type crap but this is actually watchable on a 720p monitor.
リスト 。。

May 15, 2009 7:36 PM
Jun 2007
Dozer said:

Anonymous deliveres!

Works for me now too.
However, how do you get flash do dl chunks bigger than 7 secs?
rkrempelMay 15, 2009 7:40 PM
May 15, 2009 9:33 PM
Mar 2009
Ugh, streaming freaking sucks. Always hated the quality and prefer having the file. Only a matter of time until Funi comes after the OP fansubbers. They already came after the FMA ones. =P
May 15, 2009 9:54 PM

Aug 2007
Fuck Funimation for this. I'm going to be pissed if KF and others stop.
May 15, 2009 9:55 PM

May 2007
YOU GET IT FOR FUCKING FREE YOU ASSHOLES STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE QUALITY BEFORE YOU SEE IT, FUNIMATION IS TAKING A HUGE RISK ALLOWING YOU TO SEE THEIR ANIME FOR FREE, SHOW SOME RESPECT.

As for the region problem yeah, I agree.

Still works in the UK though
My anime list
May 15, 2009 9:59 PM

Aug 2007
mitamaking said:
YOU GET IT FOR FUCKING FREE YOU ASSHOLES STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE QUALITY BEFORE YOU SEE IT, FUNIMATION IS TAKING A HUGE RISK ALLOWING YOU TO SEE THEIR ANIME FOR FREE, SHOW SOME RESPECT.

As for the region problem yeah, I agree.

Still works in the UK though

There is no risk at streaming something for free.
May 15, 2009 10:05 PM

Nov 2007
mitamaking said:

Streaming is not an acceptable 'solution' to the fansubbing 'problem'. I won't respect Funi just because they cater to the YT generation.
May 15, 2009 10:37 PM
Oct 2008
Even if it isn't an solution, at least they are even bothering to offer it and trying to get it out faster. They aren't just trying to cater to the YT generation, streaming is something a lot of companies have been doing, not just with anime. If streaming wasn't something that people wanted then sites like Hulu wouldn't exist and probably wouldn't be so popular. Though I guess for anime fans it's different...

I honestly don't know what the licensing companies have to do to make people happy. A few years ago it was "Anime is taking too long to come out" then the companies start licensing their stuff faster and then its "We won't buy it unless we can preview it for free". So the licensing companies start streaming it and then are now starting the simulcast streaming...now it's "We won't watch it unless it's in HD."

I'm starting to think that maybe fans will never be happy when news like this comes along about the companies trying to cater to anyone.
May 15, 2009 10:39 PM

May 2007
Asako said:
mitamaking said:

Streaming is not an acceptable 'solution' to the fansubbing 'problem'. I won't respect Funi just because they cater to the YT generation.

Have you even seen the quality of their online player? Way above Youtube, and youtube's quality is getting quite good, again, it is free, why should they give you super HD quality for free, why is that a right?

Also by streaming stuff for free they take a risk for people instead of grabbing stuff on DVD just streaming it, the ad revenue is no where near what they get for DVDs unless it is a big show such as FMA Brotherhood or Ouran.
My anime list
May 15, 2009 10:45 PM

Aug 2007
mitamaking said:
Asako said:
mitamaking said:

Have you even seen the quality of their online player? Way above Youtube, and youtube's quality is getting quite good, again, it is free, why should they give you super HD quality for free, why is that a right?

Also by streaming stuff for free they take a risk for people instead of grabbing stuff on DVD just streaming it, the ad revenue is no where near what they get for DVDs unless it is a big show such as FMA Brotherhood or Ouran.

People would rather have a DVD than streaming. Regardless if it's HD or not streaming is still lower quality.
May 15, 2009 11:06 PM

May 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
mitamaking said:
Asako said:
mitamaking said:

People would rather have a DVD than streaming. Regardless if it's HD or not streaming is still lower quality.

If that was true people wouldn't watch fansubs.
My anime list
May 15, 2009 11:25 PM

Nov 2007
mitamaking said:

That's not the issue at hand. I want to be able to watch anime where/how I want. eg. on my TV, and without a net connection. I also archive media until I have it on DVD (if it ever gets released here) -- I'm not going to save stream flv's either, why when I can dl DTV rips that are much better quality?

Also most streaming players don't cleanly fullscreen, they keep a player bar or similar active. I don't know about Funi's itself since I can't view their streams where I live. And even 'good' streams still look terrible when watched fullscreen on a real display (ie. 1920x1080). Media players where I can watch properly downloaded files resize and filter far more cleanly.

Really, Funi should just work with some fansub groups and release DL options in the MKV with ASS subs the fansub community knows and loves. They can put an ad in the eyecatch for all I care, splash FUNIMATION after the OP where sponsor screens usually are etc. Whatever, it's better than streams.
May 15, 2009 11:27 PM

Oct 2007
Woohoo
May 15, 2009 11:51 PM

Aug 2007
mitamaking said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
mitamaking said:
Asako said:
mitamaking said:

If that was true people wouldn't watch fansubs.

No. People would rather DL fansubs than stream fansubs.
May 15, 2009 11:54 PM
Feb 2009
I've never been able to figure out why they sometimes have free Internet episodes, but they consider it illegal when other sites host their episodes.
May 16, 2009 1:45 AM

Jul 2007
_Me_ said:
I've never been able to figure out why they sometimes have free Internet episodes, but they consider it illegal when other sites host their episodes.

Good question! What they consider it is kinda not the point -- it is illegal no matter if they care or not -- but they have a problem with it because they can't control what's uploaded on other sites. If a company wants to, say, pull episodes after a certain time or include advertisements, they can do it on their own site and anything they put up themselves on other sites. But if a random fansubber puts something up on youtube, the companies can do none of that.

At least that's the way I understand it.

oh, these little earthquakes
May 16, 2009 1:53 AM

Nov 2007
Capellabun said:
A few years ago it was "Anime is taking too long to come out" then the companies start licensing their stuff faster and then its "We won't buy it unless we can preview it for free". So the licensing companies start streaming it and then are now starting the simulcast streaming...now it's "We won't watch it unless it's in HD."

Anime still takes far too long to come out, at least here. R1 licenses take at least a year to filter through, if they ever do.

I've rarely blindly bought anime. I typically only buy stuff I've seen, so yeah, I want to preview it before buying. But no, the trailers thrown on DVDs to advertise other series aren't enough, especially with how tragic some are (See Fruits Basket trailer for example... made it seem like a COMPLETELY different kind of show with no indication otherwise).

And I do favour HD, yes. We live in the HD era. I have a HD monitor and TV. Low quality video looks bad stretched several times. Watching something in poor video quality impacts my enjoyment of it making me less likely to want to buy it.
May 16, 2009 2:40 AM

Dec 2006
Jetstorm-G said:
Ugh, streaming freaking sucks. Always hated the quality and prefer having the file. Only a matter of time until Funi comes after the OP fansubbers. They already came after the FMA ones. =P

And yet you can still find high quality FMA: Brotherhood releases online for download, so why are people getting their panties up in a bunch?
リスト 。。

May 16, 2009 3:57 AM

Aug 2007
Kira said:
Jetstorm-G said:

And yet you can still find high quality FMA: Brotherhood releases online for download, so why are people getting their panties up in a bunch?

I'm going to be pissed if they make KF stop subbing.
May 16, 2009 7:18 PM

May 2007
Wow, why is there soooo much hate going around? I honestly cannot believe you guys. This is a GOOD thing that Funimation has decided to do. The fact that we are able to access the episode one hour after the original broadcast, with official and accurate subs is a fortune in itself. I just watched the first 5-7 minutes of episode 391 on the Funimation website and I'll admit that while the quality is not as good as it would have been if you downloaded the episode via torrent, it's still very good quality (much better than most of the streaming sites out there).

No clue why people are pissed off. And really? Do you think groups out there will stop subbing just because Funimation started this? Even though Funimation is doing the same thing for Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, groups are still releasing their own versions. There will always be people out there who will fight the system.

Of course, the next step now is for Funi to allow us to download the episode or somehow bring the episode onto cable television. Though if Funi ever did have a download feature, I'm sure they would have some kind of monthly fee for it.
May 17, 2009 12:37 PM

Oct 2008
I had my jaw dropped in joy when I heard about this news!! It is so awesome that Funimation is going through great lengths to support the industry as to legally distribute episodes of One Piece online for free. This is probably the big response anime licensing companies are having towards fansubbing and piracy, by showing streaming episodes of all the popular shows online. In fact chances are that Viz may do the same thing for its Bleach website because there is a section that says "more to come, check again soon."

And as for the "whole screw Funi for removing fansubs on Youtube, they don't give a rat's ass about what the fans want,"..... if the people at Funimation didn't care about legally distributing streaming episodes of their licensed shows, recovering Geneon titles, having actors like Greg Ayres host panels at conventions based on the fate of the industry (on their own free will) and releasing shows in DVD box sets, then they wouldn't have anything to DO with anime! There wouldn't be a Funimation and all the actors, and other people would go out to having more well-paid jobs.

More and more anime fans believe that by fansubbing and showing literal translations hours after premiere in Japan and downloading episodes is honoring yourself as an anime fan, which I admire the dedication, but that method isn't helping purchase legal merchandise to give money to the licensors and anime studios.

And the streaming anime episodes is legal if Funimation was the one that licensed it. That method by the way, is to see if fans are going to play the "legal distribution" game that Funimation is asking them to play with as much fairness and handicap as possible so they can encourage fans to potentially buy the DVDs.

As for location issues that I can understand because of Funimation mostly promoting in region 1, but that doesn't mean no companies in Singapore, Australia or whatever can do the same thing. The only catch is that fans being the heart of the anime industry have to play their part and buy the merchandises in order to get Japan's attention financially and say "hey guys, looks like this region is buying more One Piece DVDs and are probably demanding more. Maybe we should supply more."

It's the whole "supply and demand" thing. It's the circle of life of economics and legal distribution.
HypeathonMay 17, 2009 12:44 PM
May 17, 2009 1:40 PM

Oct 2007
Bah, lay off my One Piece. It's one off those shows I really look forward every week and if trough this subbers are going to stop subbing this I'll be seriously pissed. I live in Europe by the way for the people who are going to say I should watch it streamed...

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
May 17, 2009 9:21 PM
Feb 2008
I already watched Funanimation subs though One Piece movie 8, aka the Alabasta Arc
It was freaking awful... It simply was unbearable to read -_-
To be more specific, the fruit name translation totally fugly...

Perhaps I am too used to K-F subs, but again, I hate Funimation. It still worth saying, 4Kids, Go the hell
May 17, 2009 10:09 PM

May 2007
Out of curiosity do you all mean Kaizoku-Fansubs, the group that has done only done 3 releases since November? Funimation released that many in a day.
My anime list
May 17, 2009 11:55 PM

Aug 2007
mitamaking said:
Out of curiosity do you all mean Kaizoku-Fansubs, the group that has done only done 3 releases since November? Funimation released that many in a day.

I use them for archiving purposes. If they C & D them then I lose any reason for having downloaded them in the first place and buying DVDR's. I watch any other One Piece fansubbing group. Also Vegapunk is still 10 X slower than KF.
Jun 29, 2009 4:50 PM

Mar 2007
News post updated.
Jun 29, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2008
sad news :/
Jun 29, 2009 5:24 PM

May 2007
Tatanium said:
sad news :/

Yeah, its definitely a bummer. Figured this would happen too, as I doubt Shueisha and Toei don't want to risk the episode being hacked again. I'm pretty doubtful we'll get this service again. But here's hoping....
Jun 29, 2009 5:29 PM

Aug 2007
That's what happens when you have shitty security on a website. Good job Funimation.
Jul 4, 2009 4:43 PM

Jul 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
That's what happens when you have shitty security on a website. Good job Funimation.

Yep, it's pretty dumb to get butthurt over it.
Jul 4, 2009 5:21 PM

May 2008
403 / 12 = 33.5833333333333333333333333333

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
Yesterday, 8:52 PM

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.