Forum Settings
Forums

Should I continue to expand my taste in anime?

New
Jun 13, 2013 11:18 AM

Nov 2011
So I keep getting called close minded for predominantly watching anime from the 70s and 80s so I started watching more new anime to expand my taste. While some of them are nice ive noticed that im more often having to push myself to watch the series rather than just simply enjoying myself. Theres some good MOE and slice of life stuff but overall im just not passionate about that stuff like I am when I watch say Maison Ikkoku or Kinnikuma. Hell I wanted to increase the size of my anime list but isn't the most important thing to do when watching anime is too enjoy it?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 13, 2013 11:20 AM

Oct 2012
I think...I think you should stop asking people to make decisions for you.
"Should I continue to breathe oxygen?"

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 13, 2013 11:21 AM
May 2010
Uhh...Go watch Shinsekai Yori.
Then we'll talk.
Jun 13, 2013 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
Tavor said:

"Should I continue to breathe oxygen?"
No that shit will kill you
Jun 13, 2013 11:24 AM

Mar 2013
BlackSabotage said:
but isn't the most important thing to do when watching anime is too enjoy it?

Well, yeah. It's good to experience different things, to make sure you are at least exposed to different genres and such, but don't force it. Enjoyment should always be the priority.
Jun 13, 2013 11:24 AM

Aug 2009
If you think modern anime is shit then don't watch it. Honestly I think most modern anime is shit too, but there are a few good ones once in a while. Please don't watch "moe" sol shows... I'm sure there are people that will tell you otherwise, but I feel like it's the kind of entertainment that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Decent shows that are airing IMO.

Attack on Titan
Aku no Hana
Gargantia

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 13, 2013 11:26 AM

Nov 2011
battosai-01 said:
If you think modern anime is shit then don't watch it. Honestly I think most modern anime is shit too, but there are a few good ones once in a while. Please don't watch "moe" sol shows... I'm sure there are people that will tell you otherwise, but I feel like it's the kind of entertainment that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Decent shows that are airing IMO.

Attack on Titan
Aku no Hana
Gargantia
I will be sure to check those out.
Jun 13, 2013 11:27 AM

Jun 2012
Jesus fucking Christ. Is it really that fucking hard to decide whether you should watch a different variety of anime than you normally would? Just when I thought your threads couldn't get any dumber, you surprise the hell out me.

Yes, you should watch more anime. You should watch different genres. You might just find some different shows/movies you'll like.

And I honestly thought that people who like Lone Wolf and Cub couldn't be this stupid...
HolybaptiserJun 13, 2013 11:30 AM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 13, 2013 11:31 AM

Nov 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Jesus fucking Christ. Is it really that fucking hard to decide whether you should watch a different variety of anime than you normally would? Just when I thought your threads couldn't get any dumber, you surprise the hell out me.

Yes, you should watch more anime. You should watch different genres. You might just find some different shows/movies you'll like.
Look if you don't like a thread stay the fuck out of it. I don't fucking owe it to you to make a good thread. I was more so just curious to see what people had to say than have them decide for me. No need to be an ass dude.
Jun 13, 2013 11:31 AM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
BlackSabotage said:
No. Quit breathing that shit it will fuck your head up.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to guarantee my plants get plenty of carbon dioxide.
Plants are assholes dude. Let them suffer >:D
Jun 13, 2013 11:32 AM

Jan 2010
"You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." /copypaste
Jun 13, 2013 11:33 AM

Jun 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Holybaptiser said:

Look if you don't like a thread stay the fuck out of it. I don't fucking owe it to you to make a good thread. I was more so just curious to see what people had to say than have them decide for me. No need to be an ass dude.
You have got to be borderline retarded if you think that the vast majority of people aren't going to tell you to expand your tastes. It's the most obvious answer to an extremely stupid question. I'll be an ass as long as you act like an idiot and create either create banal or redundant threads.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 13, 2013 11:34 AM

Aug 2012
I think you know the answer to your own question.

Btw, there are some "old-fashioned" anime made even now. There is "Kingdom" and "Souten Kouro" and "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure". "Rainbow" certainly has that 70ies/80ies flair. You might also like "Hyouge Mono". There is also Titania since you are LOGH fan.
Jun 13, 2013 11:34 AM

Sep 2012
Yes, you should. Why do you talk as if all recent shows were moe and slice of life?
Jun 13, 2013 11:36 AM

Nov 2011
Holybaptiser said:
BlackSabotage said:
Holybaptiser said:

You have got to be borderline retarded if you think that the vast majority of people aren't going to tell you to expand your tastes. It's the most obvious answer to an extremely stupid question. I'll be an ass as long as you act like an idiot and create either create banal or redundant threads.
I am borderline retarded.
Jun 13, 2013 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
BlackSabotage said:
...I was more so just curious to see what people had to say...

umm, I think that's what he did, so why the hate?
Jun 13, 2013 11:38 AM

Nov 2011
TheAsap said:
Holybaptiser said:
...I was more so just curious to see what people had to say...

umm, I think that's what he did, so why the hate?
I generally don't like mean spirited people.
Jun 13, 2013 11:38 AM

Nov 2010
just stick with the genres you liked in the old shows ;)

when you get used to the new animation styles you'll be able to enjoy it haha (or what is it that draws you to older shows and not the new ones)
Jun 13, 2013 11:39 AM

Apr 2013
battosai-01 said:
Decent shows that are airing IMO.

Aku no Hana
Aku no Hana
Aku no Hana
Aku no Hana
wut?

I'd say watch the recent shows that have decent ratings 8.5 + and you'll probably find most of them awesome and refreshing.
Jun 13, 2013 11:40 AM

Jul 2012
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica edit
Plan to Watch
Yesterday, 12:27 AM

Watch it.
Jun 13, 2013 11:41 AM

Oct 2012
ihateeveryone said:
Plan to Watch

Watch it.

He lives in Arkansas though.

Jun 13, 2013 11:41 AM

Nov 2010
If you make an actual anime recommendation thread, I'll seriously recommend you some new and different genre anime, maybe throw in some shorts.
Jun 13, 2013 11:42 AM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
ihateeveryone said:
Plan to Watch

Watch it.

He lives in Arkansas though.
What does being in Arkansas have to do with anything?
Jun 13, 2013 11:44 AM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
If you make an actual anime recommendation thread, I'll seriously recommend you some new and different genre anime, maybe throw in some shorts.
I did make one asking for 12 episode anime. got a shit load of recs just kinda hard to decide what order to watch them in. What I need to know is which ones are considered the best.
Jun 13, 2013 11:44 AM

Sep 2012
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I did make one asking for 12 episode anime. got a shit load of recs just kinda hard to decide what order to watch them in. What I need to know is which ones are considered the best.

Madoka is the best.

And Baccano is second best.
Jun 13, 2013 11:47 AM

May 2012
Open-mindedness is overrated.
Jun 13, 2013 11:48 AM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I see that one asking for 12 episode R rated comedies, probably meaning you want it slightly vulgar. I'll check it out and arrange them in the way I feel is good.

You might also want to make a general "recommend me the best of newer anime from genres I don't really watch" thread. Because I and other people are only going to recommend you 12 episode comedy anime on the other thread. There's more to new anime than comedy.
Jun 13, 2013 11:49 AM

Apr 2013
Litrydow said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Baccano is the best.

And Madoka is second best.
Fixed that for you buddy
Jun 13, 2013 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
Litrydow said:
Yes, you should. Why do you talk as if all recent shows were moe and slice of life?

This. He seems to think that SoL and moe is just exclusive to recent anime.
Jun 13, 2013 12:02 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I see that one asking for 12 episode R rated comedies, probably meaning you want it slightly vulgar. I'll check it out and arrange them in the way I feel is good.

You might also want to make a general "recommend me the best of newer anime from genres I don't really watch" thread. Because I and other people are only going to recommend you 12 episode comedy anime on the other thread. There's more to new anime than comedy.
I had another one before that which was general 12 episode anime however its already been pushed back. I made that one caus I was having a hard time getting into a lot of shows and vulgar comedy although not always genius is often easy to get into.
Jun 13, 2013 12:04 PM

Nov 2011
Jauregui said:
Litrydow said:

This. He seems to think that SoL and moe is just exclusive to recent anime.
I fuckin hate it when you guys do this.
Jun 13, 2013 12:04 PM

Oct 2012
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I had another one before that which was general 12 episode anime however its already been pushed back. I made that one caus I was having a hard time getting into a lot of shows and vulgar comedy although not always genius is often easy to get into.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. LOOK AT OUR COMPATIBILITY, you can trust me.

Jun 13, 2013 12:05 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Holybaptiser said:

Jun 13, 2013 12:07 PM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I already knew of this one but it's not very animeish as I recall its kinda like watching a cartoon off of comedy central not that that's bad I fuckin love South Park. Maybe ill give it another go.
Jun 13, 2013 12:07 PM

Jun 2008
Do whatever you want OP.

Let me tell you right now....there is NO SUCH THING as "good anime taste".

All anime is subjective.

Don't let elitists tell you otherwise.
Jun 13, 2013 12:09 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well then don't constrict it to 12 episode anime. I know I'll at least(while I might take a while becuase I'm also doing other things) could recommend you dozens of anime of different sizes, genres, and types.

Tavor said:
I saw you recommending him that on the thread. Don't worry I'll back you up on it.

BlackSabotage said:
I already knew of this one but it's not very animeish as I recall its kinda like watching a cartoon off of comedy central not that that's bad I fuckin love South Park. Maybe ill give it another go.
That's what it's made to be like, the art like powerpuff girls, making fun of it you could say. But there's sex and poop and people saying fuck 20x in one scene.
Jun 13, 2013 12:10 PM

Nov 2011
JustALEX said:
Do whatever you want OP.

All anime is subjective.

It just kinda sucks being an older anime fan I have a harder time finding people to talk with about the kinda anime im into since most people seem to refuse to watch anything pre-2000.
Jun 13, 2013 12:11 PM

Jan 2013
Durarara!! is awesome. Dubbed only of course. Don't bother with the japanese version.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 13, 2013 12:11 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well then don't constrict it to 12 episode anime. I know I'll at least(while I might take a while becuase I'm also doing other things) could recommend you dozens of anime of different sizes, genres, and types.

Tavor said:
I saw you recommending him that on the thread. Don't worry I'll back you up on it.
I asked for 12 caus I wanted to sorta watch one series a day but that turned out to be tougher than I thought.
Jun 13, 2013 12:12 PM

May 2013
BlackSabotage said:
JustALEX said:
Do whatever you want OP.

All anime is subjective.

It just kinda sucks being an older anime fan I have a harder time finding people to talk with about the kinda anime im into since most people seem to refuse to watch anything pre-2000.

It's still better than talking with them about naruto :D ,however go and watch shingeki no kyojin so far it's awesome.
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
Jun 13, 2013 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
JustALEX said:
Do whatever you want OP.

All anime is subjective.

Wrong. When someones interests is only naruto, bleach, or moe then you know there is such a thing as bad and good taste.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 13, 2013 12:13 PM

Nov 2011
MajinSaga said:
Durarara!! is awesome. Dubbed only of course. Don't bother with the japanese version.
I watched some of it. Not sure if I liked it or not. Didn't seem nearly as cool as Baccano though but I should give it a chance.
Jun 13, 2013 12:18 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
I asked for 12 caus I wanted to sorta watch one series a day but that turned out to be tougher than I thought.
I've already started on a list of anime for the 12 episode vulgar comedy thread. You can skip off episodes if you want, one episode of one anime, then one of another, etc.
Jun 13, 2013 12:18 PM

Jun 2008
BlackSabotage said:
JustALEX said:
Do whatever you want OP.

All anime is subjective.

Well, I think the problem is that most of us are accustomed to a certain style of anime.

Pre-2000 anime is pretty different, I myself have only watched a handful.

Also, it's actually a bit tough to get a hold of really old anime.
Jun 13, 2013 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
If you like mecha anime, then how about watching Gunbuster? It came out in 1988.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 13, 2013 12:19 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
I've already started on a list of anime for the 12 episode vulgar comedy thread. You can skip off episodes if you want, one episode of one anime, then one of another, etc.
Okey dokey :D
Jun 13, 2013 12:21 PM

Nov 2011
JustALEX said:
BlackSabotage said:
JustALEX said:
Do whatever you want OP.

All anime is subjective.

Well, I think the problem is that most of us are accustomed to a certain style of anime.

Pre-2000 anime is pretty different, I myself have only watched a handful.

Also, it's actually a bit tough to get a hold of really old anime.
Its tough caus of the lack of demand. Not enough americans wanna check out the older stuff.
Jun 13, 2013 12:21 PM

Nov 2011
el_putazo said:
If you like mecha anime, then how about watching Gunbuster? It came out in 1988.
Ive been meaning to check that one out it looks promising.
Jun 13, 2013 12:23 PM

Oct 2010
Why do you restrict your viewing to 70s and 80s anime, anyway? Is it because you like the pleasure of having watched something that not many other people have?
Jun 13, 2013 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
spyrocoot said:
Why do you restrict your viewing to 70s and 80s anime, anyway? Is it because you like the pleasure of having watched something that not many other people have?
I don't restrict myself to that. Ive been watching plenty of newer stuff like Highschool DxD ans school days. But would you believe that I honestly just plain out enjoy the older stuff more?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9075 by appledude1221 »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

51 by Lhundrup »»
7 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 2 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
22 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

2 by billybub »»
27 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

63 by WatchTillTandava »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.