Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 18, 2011 10:47 PM

Oct 2010
Lots of wtf this episode...i love it!
ringo x shouma FTW
Nov 18, 2011 11:17 PM

Mar 2011
It was a twist, but I didn't go into the shocku state after that. I've learn by watching lots of anime that most main characters who are passive or don't do anything or appear normal have the most important roles in the end

I kind of give up with the guessing and everything because I always get headache every time I do that, but I still think that at least one character will die
I do wonder about the family though. Are all of them even related with each other? Are they even real?

And I'm probably one of the very very very few people who ship Himari x Sanetoshi
Nov 19, 2011 2:31 AM
Aug 2011
Shouma... the one guy I had hope for is turning into a giant drama magnet.

I really am at a loss for words, I just can't wait to see how this series finishes. I am a sucker for a happy ending so that's always what I would like. Though I don't think I would be upset if things didn't turn out well, I kind of expect things to just not go as they should.
Nov 19, 2011 2:42 AM

Dec 2010
Dalek-baka said:
And can someone who actually speaks Japanese tell what was the title of this episode? Like does it literally translates to soulmate or can it be something else.

It was "watashi no unmei no hito" - I think literally it means 'my fated one'.

Also, wasn't it Shouma who said in the first episode (or second?) that he hates the word 'fate'? Sooo... maybe there's not THAT much significance behind Himari and Shouma being soulmates or 'fated ones'? (*just guessing* xD)
Nov 19, 2011 2:45 AM

Feb 2010
This was fabulous trolling
Nov 19, 2011 2:59 AM

Oct 2010
why Kanba isn't the person of fate of Himari?
But,eventually, I think Himari will go with Kanba,maybe after Himari realise Shoma is her person of fate.Their relatioship will trigger something,maybe tragedy event between Ringo and Himari.
Signature Removed
Nov 19, 2011 3:19 AM

May 2009
Wait, what?! Shouma?!

But the Princess of the Crystal prefers Kanba!

Oh, Kanba is a master performer, alright. He totally had me fooled last week. Now I really wonder what kind of jobs his parents have made him do. And what kind of secret can be more important to him than Himari's life. Others here have mentioned that he was thinking of the long-term consequences when he refused to reveal his parents' whereabouts to Tabuki, but if Tabuki hadn't changed his mind at the last minute, Himari would have died! Odd.

Last week, I had questions about this 'punishment' the siblings spoke of and how it seemed Shouma was the one who was supposed to receive the punishments. And now, with the revelation that Shouma brought Himari out of the child broiler the same way Momoka brought Tabuki out (and she too, received some sort of punishment for changing fate), I'm wondering if Shouma has the same power as Momoka or maybe he's the Penguindrum?

Gah, so many questions!
Nov 19, 2011 4:29 AM

Apr 2011
Woah. I'd been thinking one wasn't related - but wasn't expecting it to be Himari.

I still wonder about why her pretending to be Kanba's sister is preventing him from going back to Masako though.

And I wonder what Sanetoshi means about the twins doing what their parents couldn't.

At least - I think I'm sort of starting to understand a bit of what's going on in this series xD.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Nov 19, 2011 4:50 AM

May 2010
This was biggest shock that an anime ever give me...probably,seriously Shouma is Himari's fated partner.Not Kanba or even that Doctor Sanetoshi.
Nov 19, 2011 4:56 AM
Feb 2009
gosh i actually like himari.shouma since the first episode. don't know why but it looked like shouma would end up with her. but since they focused sooo much on ringo and shouma i had given up. and then there was kanba and mario. and sanetoshi. i don't really ship kanba so either the other two would be okay. i really like masako sooo she should get kanba after all.
If Himari is Shouma's bride that fits all the talk when Himari first met Sanetoshi and the Princess dress and everything. I really think they are awesome to design a peguin based wedding dress. But i doubt himari will end up with shouma or kanba.
Nov 19, 2011 7:45 AM

Sep 2011
Erzaa said:
MapleRose said:
As for the revelation of Shouma being the fated one, yes I'm surprised, but I'm not raging over it. Because "fated one" doesn't mean Shouma and Himari will end up together. I don't think all the development with Ringo and Shouma will just be thrown out and replaced by "Shouma/Himari 'cause they're fated together.

This is what I think as well. Honestly I wouldn't mind Shouma x Himari pairing, but I prefer Shouma x Ringo. And Kanba should end up with Masako. I don't like the Kanba x Himari pairing at all.

It's exactly what I think.
Ah no, I'm really mad at Shouma x Himari.
Poor my Ringo ;_;
Nov 19, 2011 7:54 AM
Jun 2011
That rolling balls scene was magnificent and as far as the latest twist goes;

This series probably is going to end up being my favourite anime of the thousand odd that I've see till date.

Who'd have thought that Shouma = Momoka :O

Also it would be great if Ringo reverts to her crazy stalker true self and goes at it with the passive agressive Himari for the love of Shouma now.
spigotNov 19, 2011 8:20 AM
Nov 19, 2011 9:19 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
That's a good twist.

Dum dum dum the drama thickens....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 19, 2011 11:20 AM

Aug 2010
This show never ceases to amaze me!!!
I was definitely not expecting Shoma to be Himari's fated person (but it makes since why Himari was feeling a little jealous of Ringo), and I was just starting to think Shouma and Ringo would make an okay couple. Still I'd rather Himari be with Kanba.
Poor Kanba :(

So is Shouma the reincarnation of Momoka?? and is that maybe why Ringo likes him, or did he just replace Momoka?
Nov 19, 2011 2:21 PM

Feb 2009
I don't think Kanba was lying because his 'father' is probably not his real father but the red haired one we saw a few episodes back in Masako's train dream...

Anyway, I was bored... really... and since I've heard the word troll for two things mainly in the last few things I watched it just kind of combined... It was just for fun but didn't turn out that great, view at your own discression. xD

Nov 19, 2011 2:27 PM

Jun 2008
Wtf episode.
Nov 19, 2011 3:03 PM

Aug 2009
I still don't think the boys are related either.

Definitely didn't see that Shomoka swing coming.
Nov 19, 2011 7:52 PM

May 2008
wait wow.... Shouma O.O
Nov 19, 2011 8:33 PM
Jun 2011
puella-magi said:
I don't think that Shouma is actually Himari's fated one, but then again I could just be going into denial because I'm a strong supporter of Himari/Kanba. Shouma and Himari just don't go together. Look at everything Ringo has done for Shouma. Look how much Kanba goes through to save Himari. There's no way that they're the pairing that's meant to be. I'm guessing since Momoka had the ability to switch around various time lines she inadvertently messed up this one and caused various events to go out of sync. Shouma is the fated one instead of Mario. Himari is the adopted one instead of Shouma (Kanba and Himari look far too similar to their parents for them not to be related, whereas Shouma is...).

Being a "fated" one in a show that is all about changing fates means that you don't have to give up hope just yet XD

Also, there were hints dropped about Shouma in previous episodes such as the crystal princess talking about him having the penguindrum etc. So maybe its not trolling... there were just too many red herrings for us to forsee this twist.
Nov 19, 2011 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
spigot said:
puella-magi said:
I don't think that Shouma is actually Himari's fated one, but then again I could just be going into denial because I'm a strong supporter of Himari/Kanba. Shouma and Himari just don't go together. Look at everything Ringo has done for Shouma. Look how much Kanba goes through to save Himari. There's no way that they're the pairing that's meant to be. I'm guessing since Momoka had the ability to switch around various time lines she inadvertently messed up this one and caused various events to go out of sync. Shouma is the fated one instead of Mario. Himari is the adopted one instead of Shouma (Kanba and Himari look far too similar to their parents for them not to be related, whereas Shouma is...).

Being a "fated" one in a show that is all about changing fates means that you don't have to give up hope just yet XD

Let's not also forget that Himari becoming Shouma's bride is part of Sanetoshi's plan to "get the world back on track", and Himari herself seemed against that destiny that he had assigned for her in Ep 9. All the signs, character development... etc are all against Shouma/Himari that came out of nowhere.
Nov 19, 2011 11:59 PM

Oct 2008
KANBAAAAA
Nov 20, 2011 12:13 AM

Jun 2009
Just a reminded: 'fated' doesn't mean 'future husband'.

they could be fated to die together, fated to kill each other, fated to eat delicious pie together, etc.
Nov 20, 2011 12:14 AM

Jul 2010
The twist was yummy.
Nov 20, 2011 1:59 AM

Nov 2009
But... what about ringo?!!

It is a twist, but at the expensive of a love triangle of sorts. Was that a good trade?
Nov 20, 2011 3:01 AM

Jul 2011
Never expected them to do a twist on Ringo x Shouma. It seems they're trying to give Ringo no rest whatsoever, having her run from fate to fate.
Nov 20, 2011 3:49 AM

Jun 2008
Kinzo said:
Just a reminded: 'fated' doesn't mean 'future husband'.
they could be fated to die together, fated to kill each other, etc.

You´re right. But the thing is Sanetoshi told Himari she was a bride of someone, and the symbolism of sharing an apple is "marriage".
But honestly Shou seemed more into sibling love when he gave her the apple("come to my house and to my family, bla bla"), as for Himari im not sure of her feelings, since she showed some jealousy/sadness towards Ringo x Shou in the kitchen.
I somehow believe Shou was Himari´s first love. Unrequited love?

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 20, 2011 4:44 AM

Mar 2008
puella-magi said:
I don't think that Shouma is actually Himari's fated one, but then again I could just be going into denial because I'm a strong supporter of Himari/Kanba. Shouma and Himari just don't go together. Look at everything Ringo has done for Shouma. Look how much Kanba goes through to save Himari. There's no way that they're the pairing that's meant to be.

whether Shou and Himare are fated pair does not matter. The series is not just about fighting and change the destiny?

puella-magi said:
I'm guessing since Momoka had the ability to switch around various time lines she inadvertently messed up this one and caused various events to go out of sync. Shouma is the fated one instead of Mario. Himari is the adopted one instead of Shouma (Kanba and Himari look far too similar to their parents for them not to be related, whereas Shouma is...).

Very interesting observation.
What a mess ...

But I see inconsistencies.

In episode 9, the boy pants blue shoes, and the girl with dress with her hair tied up. This is very different from the clothes seen in episode 19.

The meeting place is also different.
In episode 19 they're on the treadmill.

The voice of the boy seems to be different, and his hair also seems to have a different hairstyle than that of the Shouma.

I'm not following this topic, I do not know if this issue has already been mentioned here, if not, give a look at the social considerations in this blog.

http://deremoe.com/?p=6358
PaninaManinaNov 20, 2011 5:06 AM
Nov 20, 2011 5:15 AM

Feb 2009
Does anyone knows what the child broiler means in a figurative way?
Nov 20, 2011 7:08 AM

Mar 2008
kiradesu said:
Does anyone knows what the child broiler means in a figurative way?

Loss of individual identity, what makes us unique and "special".
The children here are drawn as pedestrians.
All the same, formatted members of society.

When the Tabuk lost his talent, he ceased to be special to be ordinary.
Nov 20, 2011 7:26 AM

Jun 2008
PaninaManina said:

In episode 9, the boy pants blue shoes, and the girl with dress with her hair tied up. This is very different from the clothes seen in episode 19.

Excellent observation. Precisely. the kid´s hair suits a lot more Kanba´s hairstyle...And ive never seen Himari with that hairstyle. I guess Ikuhara is going to troll us again, dunno how.
But in this image of the opening, it his her groom, which by the design would exclude Mario right away, but not Kanba or Shou, since their hair is very similar.

*random time*Also in episode 9 Sanetoshi talks about the answer that Himari seeks is on the "Destination of Fate" place (child broiler?) and also there it is the answer of whose bride she is. and that´s when we got the first flashback of Himari and her fated one. The lyrics of the song playing in that scene "(...) now remember the spectacular past,(...), now remember the time when we loved each other (...). "
Also another thing: Why would Shou give a fate apple to Himari and tie his destiny with her, if he clearly states on the first episode that he hates Destiny.
/ ends rant
OrulyonNov 20, 2011 8:14 AM

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 20, 2011 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
Nice posts, PaninaManina and Orulyon. At first, I was under the impression that Mario was Himari's fated person because he appreaed on the same episode Sanetoshi mentioned that Himari was someone's bride - him donning a penguin hat with a crown and being a figment of Himari's imagination at the aquarium only enforced that belief. Then, in the episode with Masako's past we saw child Kanba, and I thought how he with his messy hair and prominent ears matched the silhoutte of the boy from Ep 9 and the one dancing with Himari in the second OP. Then, it was revealed in this episode that it was Shouma.

Is Ikuhara trolling us? The conversation between Sanetoshi and Himari foreshadowed that her past, memory and current life might not be what she thought it was, and the episode ended with Masako trying to refresh her memory and Himari remembering by herself. And it will not be considered good writing if Himari's memory after all this buildup turned out to be false.

Is the contradiction between the silhouttes from Ep 9 and Himari's memory a result of something that Momoka did like another poster mentioned? Also, if memory serves me, and I hope someone confirms this to me, I remember in the episode where Kanba visits Masako that she mentions them being in the broiler in the past, and if this is true I wonder if Himari and Kanba met in there, he was the one who offerred her the apple, which resulted in Masako's hatred towards Himari.
removed-userNov 20, 2011 9:15 AM
Nov 20, 2011 9:18 AM

Aug 2008
Lol omg omg I certainly didn't expect Sho to be Himari's soulmate. Mindfuck right now.
Nov 20, 2011 1:06 PM

Mar 2008
I think if one thing is certain is that Himari is adopted.
Even though she still looks like the mother, I still insist that she is the daughter of another marriage.

This couple is definitely Kanba and Momoka.

I can't see Shouma here, he has no swagger to dance in that way, and we all saw with our eyes the complicity between Kanba and the Princess of the Crystal.
I think the confusion that is happening here is because Momoka change soo much the reality that end shuffling the relationships between the characters. Thus we can't be sure why the Princess eject Shouma "Strategy Survival" and take the Kanba lifetime. If Shouma is the Destined One, it makes sense, but only this fits, everything else does not.

Thinking about how Yuri remembers the previous reality that has changed, I imagine that the person benefited keep their original memories. And when there is another change of reality, benefiting someone else, the memories of that person remains? They fit? In both cases they would not have inconsistencies with the new reality? This may explain the confusion, the reason we have seen a particular scene in episode # 9 and have seen the same scene differently in episode # 19. The reason why Masako know the destined one for Himari, even if we do not know exactly about who she speaks.

Seeing as everyone in the story only wish the good and happiness, I even get scared at the thought that there are a criticism about it here. About how the miracle solution of Momoka, who wanted to make everyone happy to the point of sacrificing herself completely in the end it ended up causing even more confusion and suffering.

Seriously ... if the "moral of the story" hang a little to that side I'll be seriously depressed.
Nov 20, 2011 1:13 PM

Oct 2011
Hold up, what does the apple actually do? Is it something like the Fate Diary and has the ability to shift realities? Because then I'd see Shouma actually making Himari his sister, not as a choice of adoption by his parents or Kanba because from their perspective, Himari had always been family. Although this would explain why Kanba are always conflicted by his feelings toward Himari (he wouldn't be if he knew that they weren't related), this breaks out a bunch of other questions about the apple ... and certainly makes the Diary feel less powerful.
Nov 20, 2011 1:27 PM

Oct 2010
Wow. That's all I can say is wow. That ending.

And why did Kanba lie about not knowing where his father is?

I really can't wait for next week's episode.
Nov 20, 2011 1:35 PM

Oct 2011
misspinkredroses said:
Wow. That's all I can say is wow. That ending.

And why did Kanba lie about not knowing where his father is?

I really can't wait for next week's episode.

Cuz he's gone over to the dark side and he doesn't care as much about Himari than he lets on.
Nov 20, 2011 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
I'm one of those very very very veeery few people who shipped Himari x Shouma from the start. So, this episode was freaking awesome for me in every way possible.

I can't wait to watch the next episode. *___*
Nov 20, 2011 3:52 PM

Jun 2008
@ thank you Raven_shinobi;3

PaninaManina said:

This couple is definitely Kanba and Momoka.

I can't see Shouma here, he has no swagger to dance in that way, and we all saw with our eyes the complicity between Kanba and the Princess of the Crystal.

no its not. It might be Kanba or Shouma but definitely not the princess of Crystal, because if u watch the OP, she clearly does not wear the penguin hat on this dance scene, which makes her Himari and not the princess. also the apple of destiny is right beside them.

so although i still somehow believe in Kanba x himari, that pic to me it has much more chances of being Shouma with Himari, in their wedding dance otherwise, why make the guy a shadow? We all knew Kanba had feelings for Himari since the anime started, so Ikuhara could have perfectly showed Kanba dancing with Himari, but he made it purposely in shadow because it was to troll us.
OrulyonNov 20, 2011 3:57 PM

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 20, 2011 7:38 PM

Nov 2009
I feel like this is really setting it up for Shouma to be Momoka's reincarnation. I might be different than a lot of other people in here but i couldn't really care less about kanba and himari. this WHOLE damn time all ive cared about was Shouma and Ringo. If they don't end up together i will be seriously pissed. I think that Shouma was the adopted one. I'm actually pretty sure on that point and Himari and Kanba are actual siblings.

The line of shitty ass parenting continues with the reactions that their parents had this episode. "They have important work to do" bullshit. They couldnt care less about their damn family and its obvious that they are using Kanba too. I have no idea where this is going and I want Princess Himari to start taking more of a role.

I like the theory that Momoka fucked this one up. She died on the day of the attack to change what was going to happen to the kids' fates but maybe her dying wasn't enough of a price to pay for that change? I think the diary is still going to have some significance. Sanetoshi wants it to be destroyed but Ikuhara spent the time on having Masako consider and then "not?" destroy it. The wait this week is going to be brutal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2011 3:52 AM

Nov 2011
well this episode is great

the story clearly come to circle...

I hope we can get a look on himari 'real past' & including shouma next ep bcoz he has the most unclear ones...could he be the real penguindrum!!

spoiler spoiler spoiler
Nov 21, 2011 4:28 AM

Oct 2010
Not...Blood....Related... ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Now it's not wincest anymore. :(

Also, poor Kanba. He seems to me the one who is most caring and devoted to saving Himari, doing just about anything even risking getting hurt to save her life, but along comes this twist where Himari's fated one is that other brother Shouma instead.

Well, at least it's not gonna tend towards Himari x Doctor. Now if that had happened I'd really feel trolled from such NTR
Nov 21, 2011 6:05 AM
Jun 2011
Each week I vow to stay away from the speculation and enjoy what is put in front of me and each week I get sucked in again :<
Nov 21, 2011 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
PaninaManina said:

The voice of the boy seems to be different, and his hair also seems to have a different hairstyle than that of the Shouma.

Lol, now that i take a good look at it.. That boy silhouette's hairstyle sorta reminds me of Yamashita's. o_o
Look:
removed-userNov 21, 2011 10:30 AM
Nov 21, 2011 7:59 AM
Mar 2011
That was SOOOOOOOO shocking episode O_o But I still like it SOOOO much **
I'm glad that Himari's fate is not Kanba, never liked that pairnig.
And though I always supported (and still supporting) Shouma/Ringo this episode's ending made me so excited, awww *w*
Nov 21, 2011 8:39 AM

Mar 2008
aelove said:
I feel like this is really setting it up for Shouma to be Momoka's reincarnation.

No....

LuYurippe said:

Lol, now that i take a good look at it.. That boy silhouette's hairstyle sorta reminds me of Yamashita's. o_o
Look:

Oh my goddess....

SPOILERS ABOVE!! ABANDON THREAD!

...to be continued, next week.
PaninaManinaNov 21, 2011 8:43 AM
Nov 21, 2011 10:08 AM

Jan 2010
mikado34 said:
More drama is added to this complicated story of love. So Shouma is Himari's soul mate? Wasn't expecting this because I really like the KanbaxHimari pairing.
Worry not, my dear, for is not this anime about defying fate?
Nov 21, 2011 2:04 PM

Apr 2010
The more I watch this series, the more I hate the word "fate" ..
Nov 21, 2011 2:07 PM

Feb 2009
LuYurippe said:
PaninaManina said:

Look:

Holy snap...

It really does...

Now that would really blow my mind, if that's what happened.
Nov 21, 2011 2:26 PM

Oct 2011
Guys...do you still have the same hairstyle as when you were 8? Sometimes, maybe in animeland, but not necessarily. You're all reading too much into the images. Now the color, on the other hand.....
Nov 21, 2011 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
ideoidiom said:
Guys...do you still have the same hairstyle as when you were 8? Sometimes, maybe in animeland, but not necessarily. You're all reading too much into the images. Now the color, on the other hand.....

But the ahoge, the ahoge almost never changes in anime, either the character grew up or not. Yamashita and Kanba's ahoge are both somewhat similar to that boy's, since their ahoge is not inclined like Shouma's. But i must be reading too much into it.

But hey, Yamashita's faceless, just like that silhouette. XDD
And he has a body and a name, he's not a white bathroom sign like the masses. That could mean something.. or not. XD
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.