Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2023 6:54 AM

Jul 2017
Kurima and the rag-tag group of assassins descending into Nagasaki's Chinatown, and find themselves in a matter concerning back-end trading and bribery in the trade union. Going to meet the gambler-cum-Big Drinker Soji which serves to aid Kurima in this hired assassin revenge job, and Soji finds himself being reluctant to accept Kurima, which is typical.

Usui's meeting with a guest (Isarizawa) to find the Satsuma killer Kurima, and has to contend with the trade union, it's a balance of the exquisite. But a bitten koban? Usui can't say no. Nio and Teppa going to find the wife of the husband that got arrested for hiding opium, and the two halves of the same situation combine together to create a revenge job to showcase the samurai in Kurima, and Soji's gambler luck with his hanafuda cards being versatile weapons, being a personal match against each other as a bet to share his lodgings.

There is danger in getting Kurima involved, that's for sure.
Jan 19, 2023 6:58 AM

Nov 2010
Here is a compact introduction of Hissatsu series. You can see the similarity between Nio's usage of her/his weapon and those in the video. And the original poster's comment says "Gadgets and the special effects were deliberately made to look cheap and unrefined". This would be the reason that you find unrealistic and irrational scenes in Revenger as well.
---
By the way, the video is on Shochiku ch, and I found the film company is also credited as a producer of Revenger on MAL's database. That explains it.
kuroneko99Jan 19, 2023 7:03 AM
Jan 19, 2023 7:37 AM

Jul 2022
This one continues to entertain well with cool historical details. The Indian influence upon the decor of the Pajama Police may have been heavy-handed but I wouldn't be surprised if it's accurate (or at least possible or likely). Darker details of the heroin affliction seem all-too believable as well.

Soji's hanafuda cards were a cool novelty, too.

I like this show.
Jan 19, 2023 7:59 AM

Feb 2019
The opium addiction is really sad to see ngl. That cave scene was pretty dark. It’s kinda funny to see Yuen work for a guy like isarizawa who’s just a nympho making out in front of people n shit lol.
Jan 19, 2023 11:03 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The music in this show is top notch as it felt like I was watching a movie. Who knew hanafuda would make such deadly weapons?
Jan 19, 2023 12:29 PM

Feb 2022
Souji and Raizou seem to have a bit of chemistry, nice change up since so far everyone felt distant to each other. Nio seems like the worst personality wise of the group with their twisted personality.
Jan 19, 2023 1:33 PM
Oct 2008
Music is perfect in this show. I listen 25% louder than normally. Also I love that little tip top that Nio is doing in opening in rythm of music.
Jan 19, 2023 1:42 PM

Dec 2016
Nothing super eventful happened in this episode. A few nice character beats and some world building, but overall kind of forgettable. 
One thing that seems to be slowly developing as the connective tissue for these episodes is the opium trade. 
Jan 19, 2023 1:54 PM

Jan 2013
LOL this anime is mediocre garbo..does it get better?
Jan 19, 2023 2:37 PM
Sep 2020
Really enjoying the plot
Jan 19, 2023 6:04 PM

Aug 2019
This felt like a slower episode compared to the last but I still enjoyed it!

Really hope this one gets a bit more attention later on! :D
Jan 19, 2023 6:41 PM

Jul 2009
Vooo said:
 ... you literally have Death March as one of your favourite anime and you're talking about mediocre garbo?

Shh, let people enjoy things.
InugirlzJan 19, 2023 6:49 PM
Jan 19, 2023 7:08 PM

Apr 2022
isarizawa looks like a goofy majima from lycoris recoil.

this was a very boring episode but the music is really good.
Jan 19, 2023 7:38 PM

May 2022
This is another show this season that I look forward to. Some of the grim scenes like opium addicts in the cave paint a dark picture of the corruption that’s going on. Also loved the bet to see who’d get the most kills. I had a feeling it was going to end in a draw. It’s a great show!
Jan 19, 2023 9:31 PM

Jul 2017
me thinks the opium stuff is probably going to play a bigger role as this progresses
Jan 19, 2023 9:31 PM
May 2017
Decent ep, i wonder where this show is planning on going; like the overall goal or point of all of this. MC got his revenge already, but i hope it just isn't random assassination jobs for the entire show

Rated 3/5 
Jan 19, 2023 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
I don’t know how to explain why this show isn’t clicking for me. It’s like a lot of nice aesthetics with little substance.
Jan 20, 2023 6:45 AM

Dec 2018
what is this supposed to be, rouroni kenshin but with actual killing? it feels like it's moving quickly and yet i don't sense any sort of end goal or destination.
Jan 20, 2023 9:05 AM

Jan 2013
Inugirlz said:
Vooo said:
 ... you literally have Death March as one of your favourite anime and you're talking about mediocre garbo?

Yea BRO its my favorite trash anime! Did you see what I ranked it as? 
Jan 20, 2023 10:13 AM
Apr 2021
no kill is more satisfying than that of a Satsuma Samuria kill lmao
Jan 20, 2023 2:39 PM

Jul 2009
Vooo said:
Inugirlz said:

Yea BRO its my favorite trash anime! Did you see what I ranked it as? 

LOL fair enough. I didn’t realize some people put their favourite trash anime in their favourites. I wonder what mine would be 🤔
Jan 20, 2023 7:41 PM

Sep 2021
Aside from hinting at future plot here and there, this episode was a bit boring. 
It was even hard to follow the revenge plot of the week - was it the doctor who set it all up? Or was the sick women blabbering nonsense, as she apperantly thought he was working with the magistrate's office? 

Not much else to say, I hope there will be some more of the overarching plot next episode. 
Jan 20, 2023 7:52 PM

Aug 2014
Hmm, what is with the cave up in the mountain full of sick women? Did the doctor doing some kind of weird experiment? 
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
♡ What I Watch This Season
♡ Best Character & WAIFU This Season
♡ Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 20, 2023 9:41 PM
Jan 2019
Jan 21, 2023 8:41 AM

Nov 2013
they went for a walk outside (wonder if they were searching for something) ... Nio sure was bored cause mc does nothing lol

no comments on that whole thing with the drugs lol

guess the guy actually won money for once, good for him, too bad he just drinks all day haha
Hana is pretty cute

Nio doesn't like samurais, i wonder if a samurai killed her parents or something similar

even the other guy finds mc boring, geez , i wonder if i would still be watching this if not for Nio lol

the guy with a bunch of girls just making Yuen waiting, does he have no shame? :D
he is looking for mc, and Yuen trying to feign ignorance
oh the guy that went to prison that morning had a revenge request lol who is he going to kill? the wife? the big scary guy tho took him away? now i'm curious

Jesus Christ that place sucks, everyone is poor as hell
lol look at that guy running when he got some money, that was funny

uff it was actually the wife that put the drug in the statue, under that guy's order, she and her friends just wants more drugs, meh ...

i like how they add that eye twitch detail everytime something happens (like at 16.07 or when the guy asked Yuuen about mc)

17:37 - those fast jumps looked cool

lols that guy didn't expect mc to have silent kill moves, reminds me of those games were we need to do that
2 kills for each, who will get the last one? :D
lmfao, i thought mc let the other guy win, but then there was as 6th one, that guy was so scared when mc almost hit him hahaha

but seriously, wtf are those cards? did he draw them himself? for what? how do they even kill people with it?

i'm still confused, who was the target of that mision? just some random guards? not the Sakata guy? talk about a boring mission lol
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 22, 2023 11:54 AM

Sep 2013
Droebie said:
Souji and Raizou seem to have a bit of chemistry, nice change up since so far everyone felt distant to each other. Nio seems like the worst personality wise of the group with their twisted personality.
He really does stand out as the little piece of shit of the group and general shit starter, aha. The beginning was mostly him just trying fruitlessly to get under Raizou skin, plus the fact he is willing to kill over a nuanced opinion.

Bisalissy said:
It was even hard to follow the revenge plot of the week - was it the doctor who set it all up? Or was the sick women blabbering nonsense, as she apperantly thought he was working with the magistrate's office? 
It was from the shop owner who got arrested. Sakata faction, due to their work with opium, not only are at fault for getting his wife hooked ( the "sick woman" in the cave), they also tricked her into selling her husband out for more. Additionally, they purposeful got him framed for not paying "protection" money. Seems his request for revenge was justified.
In the Pajama Police's case, for him it was convenient to get the revenge koban to where it needed to be since Sakata was becoming an issue for him as well... Otherwise I highly doubt he would have given two shits about it. He got the coin in his possession because he was the one "questioning" the shop's keeper since that's his job.
Jan 22, 2023 1:27 PM

Oct 2015
A weaker episode compared to the previous ones, but it was still okay. Nice to see the MC warming up to the others in the team, especially to his roommate.

I wonder what the roommate was throwing tho? They looked like some kind of cards but mahjong-sized? How hard were they? How thick? Or were they thin? I'm curious.
   HuaLian <3
Jan 22, 2023 4:03 PM

Jan 2013
What kind of business Yorozuya does is not really a secret, huh? Will Isarizawa screw them over? Or perhaps they'll decide to get rid of him because he knows too much?
Jan 22, 2023 5:22 PM

Sep 2021
blimundoru said:
It was from the shop owner who got arrested. Sakata faction, due to their work with opium, not only are at fault for getting his wife hooked ( the "sick woman" in the cave), they also tricked her into selling her husband out for more. Additionally, they purposeful got him framed for not paying "protection" money. Seems his request for revenge was justified.
In the Pajama Police's case, for him it was convenient to get the revenge koban to where it needed to be since Sakata was becoming an issue for him as well... Otherwise I highly doubt he would have given two shits about it. He got the coin in his possession because he was the one "questioning" the shop's keeper since that's his job.
Ah, now I get it! Thanks for explaining! :)
Jan 24, 2023 2:18 AM
Oct 2019
Damn that cave full of sick people was terrifying... wtf
Jan 24, 2023 7:31 PM
Sep 2018
last 2 episodes have been meh for me - I am hoping it picks up and its just building the plot. 
interesting ending, was that the original gold piece that kurima's father in law bit into after he was wounded mortally? 

Jan 25, 2023 6:58 AM

Apr 2011
Okay, Butcher. Nothing better happen to that girl..... she's gonna die horribly, isn't she?

This episode like a setup episode for the overall plot. It was a bit difficult to follow at times given there were so many elements, but I like that the story isn't being spoon-fed. Having said that, with just 12 episodes, I feel like it needs to be going at a faster pace than this unless this is gonna be episodic, which it doesn't seem like it is.
Feb 4, 2023 3:50 PM
Oct 2014
Gagarin said:
Music is perfect in this show. I listen 25% louder than normally. Also I love that little tip top that Nio is doing in opening in rythm of music.
OMF SAME I always repeat it like 3 times when I watch the opening!!!
Feb 4, 2023 10:29 PM
Oct 2008
PastalNightMare said:
Gagarin said:
OMF SAME I always repeat it like 3 times when I watch the opening!!!

I see you are cultured as well!
Feb 14, 2023 6:57 AM
Oct 2019
so much better than the last episode. i enjoyed the "chemistry" with those two roommates haha. might actually give the show some juice that it was lacking

"you're more of a samurai than me" lol

and also the "the scariest samurai are the one who follow orders without question and kill an entire family". OOOOF that hit him hard
Feb 18, 2023 10:27 PM

Jul 2008
These revenge missions seem way too easy...something else has to drop.

More topics from this board

» Beautiful artwork

Naveen6662246 - Apr 27

4 by Kreshre »»
Apr 28, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Mar 23, 2023

61 by Forum »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 16, 2023

33 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 20, 2023 4:26 AM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 4 Discussion

kuroneko99 - Jan 26, 2023

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 18, 2023 1:53 PM

Poll: » Revenger Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2023

109 by AkiFosu »»
Aug 17, 2023 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.