Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about people who can watch nearly everything?

New
May 13, 2022 10:31 PM

Nov 2019
Preferences make us enjoy anime less, for having less anime to watch means having less anime to pick and so you become pickier with what you should watch.

I have a friend who can watch all genres and enjoy nearly everything regardless of whether they're labeled as trash or masterpiece, overrated or underrated by the anime community. Honestly... I feel a little jealous.

Imagine if our preferences are as wide as my friend's. We'd all be able to enjoy anime and there'd be less hate. I wanted to be like him but it's just impossible since I am a human being who has his hates and likes. Tried watching stuff like magical girls killing each other and it just isn't for me.

What do you guys think? Are you jealous of people who can watch anything? Are you fine with how you are?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 13, 2022 10:33 PM

Jul 2007
That sounds absolutely based. Your friend is living his best life.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 13, 2022 10:33 PM

Aug 2018
actually I am pretty narrow minded about this stuff. I am happy in my comfort zone. I don't want to like police anime.
May 13, 2022 10:40 PM

Feb 2020
I really wish I could be one of those people.
May 13, 2022 10:53 PM

Jul 2017
It’s not anything that I’d ever get jealous about personally. We all have our own interests and passions; some people have very niche interests and some have very diverse and broad interests. I don’t think it really matters how diverse one’s interests are as long as you’re enjoying what you watch. It’s all just entertainment at the end of the day. I do have some genre biases, and I almost never watch anything lower than a score of 6.00 on MAL, but I’d consider myself to be very open-minded and willing to try a lot of different types of anime. As for whether I’m fine with how I am, yep, I’m perfectly content and fine with my interests. 👌
May 13, 2022 10:56 PM

Apr 2021
I mean, good for him. It's not like I am going to be jealous of someone just because they are able to like things I wouldn't.
May 13, 2022 10:59 PM

Sep 2020
Maybe a little bit jealous, but I'm also totally fine with my preferences.
May 13, 2022 11:02 PM

Oct 2018
I'd expect everyone to be like that, not about enjoying everything, but being able to watch all genres.
My friend looks at the tags and doesn't even start an anime if it's something he usually dislikes.
For example, my friend doesn't watch mecha anime, even though his favourite anime is a mecha anime, he thinks that there's only one good mecha, the rest is shit.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 13, 2022 11:02 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Great for those people, they have more anime to watch and get entertained easily ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 13, 2022 11:10 PM

Feb 2021
It is great for those people. I have my preferences but I don't limit myself to a few genres. I try to give everything a try once.
But the one thing I watch most is shounen. I can enjoy any battle shounen from the 90s and 2000s but my ratings are a different thing.
May 14, 2022 12:16 AM

Jan 2018
your friend probably listen to linkin park numb.

i try not to drop the soap aight but we can still talk about stuff like girls or ladies.
May 14, 2022 12:19 AM

Aug 2018
but does your friend enjoy futanari hentai though??
May 14, 2022 12:22 AM

Jan 2022
It's not really that hard tbh. I can watch literally any genre. Ofcourse, there are some shitty shows which sucks but then you also got the good ones.

𝙒𝙝𝙞𝙥𝙥𝙩𝙮 𝙒𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙥
𝘿𝙤𝙤𝙥𝙩𝙮 𝙎𝙘𝙤𝙤𝙥❟ 𝘾𝙤𝙪𝙥 𝙙𝙚 𝙇𝙤𝙤𝙥 𝙙𝙚
𝙒𝙤𝙤𝙥 𝘿𝙤𝙤𝙥

[center]
May 14, 2022 12:47 AM

Jul 2021
The idea that positivity is the only path one should pursue is getting a bit overrated. If your ambition is to deny yourself the chance to experience negative emotions then you're wishing to be less of a person than you already are. Don't discount the importance of having preferences and dealing with stuff you might hate.
May 14, 2022 12:50 AM

Oct 2018
Thankfully, I am someone who can watch mostly everything with the only exception being Mari Okada's melodrama.
May 14, 2022 1:11 AM

Jul 2021
I have some preferences but I think I can also watch nearly everything, I've watched SoL, romcoms, action, adventure, idol, mystery, horror, comedy, drama, music, kids animes and I like them all. Though I prefer to watch mostly romcoms but I'm trying to broaden my tastes and the type of animes I watch by watching almost all good seasonals, this gets me into watching new types of animes without the commitment, I mean one episode a week can't hurt, right?
TsutanaiFuunMay 14, 2022 1:15 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 14, 2022 1:19 AM

Aug 2020
I honestly don't have almost any sort of preference so I can enjoy anything as long as it's good but I do find most animes I watch nowadays, very average.
May 14, 2022 2:37 AM
Jul 2018
Good for your friend.

If only my friends are like that...
May 14, 2022 3:24 AM
Jul 2021
I wish I was like that. Being able to enjoy anything must be very relaxing.
May 14, 2022 3:47 AM

May 2019
I can have good time watching a good show. I can have good time roasting a bad show. "Watch the bad to understand what others are doing well". That's why I'm fine with watching anything.

But I haven't watched much tho... Only 300 entries completed, far fewer than many people here
May 14, 2022 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think I feel jealous. If you enjoy everything, you might don't give it any deeper thoughts, but that's most of the fun.

When it only comes to genres tho, I like different genres, but I prefer fantasy and co.
May 14, 2022 4:21 AM

Sep 2020
I can watch everything, it doesn't mean I'm gonna rate high everything.
May 14, 2022 4:33 AM

Jul 2016
that's neat, then i can watch anything with that person. still, it doesn't really give me feelings of jealousy that they are able to. i acknowledge that i am more picky and particular than the average, that i'm a fickle watcher. but i think that preferences give insight. it's only natural to have things that you like to watch more versus things you don't necessarily like to watch more. to go against that would be denying myself for little reason. what is enjoyable is subjective and differs from one to another.
May 14, 2022 4:50 AM

Sep 2018
I managed to find quite a few good anime even from my least favorite genres. It took a while, but I also found some anime I liked among the ones labeled as trash. Don't be so sure that you'll never be able to find an anime you like from a certain genre; subverting expectations is not impossible.

The only kind anime I can never seem to enjoy are the ones that try to be deep through metaphors, long silences and shit like that. But as I said above, maybe the next one I'll watch will surprise me.
May 14, 2022 5:10 AM

Dec 2020
Enjoying everything I watch sounds nice and all but idk, if everything is enjoyable then the surprise and excitement of enjoying a show you didn't expect to like would be gone.
May 14, 2022 5:13 AM

Sep 2020
There's nothing to be really jealous about tbh, they are probably just masochists even though its trashiest of the trash and still somehow enjoyed
May 14, 2022 5:17 AM
Aug 2021
I don’t feel anything, it’s normal 'cause I’m one of those people.
May 14, 2022 9:32 AM

Jul 2020
Newcomers to anime and legends are can watch any anime.
May 14, 2022 10:03 AM

Jul 2019
I mean yeah it would be nice if I would like everything but... I don't and thats fine

People who can watch everything and enjoy it are interesting to hear opinions from tbh

May 14, 2022 10:38 AM

Mar 2015
I consider myself such kind of person. although I'm much more harsh when judging stuff that is not of my primary preference. but I don't think the people that can watch literally everything with equal or similar enjoyment actually exist. everyone has something they dislike
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
May 14, 2022 10:41 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Reading all the comments is like reading what everyone thinks of me...

May 14, 2022 12:30 PM

Dec 2019
I enjoy pretty much everything I watch besides a couple tbh
May 14, 2022 12:32 PM

Jul 2021
Idk how they can do it. Jealous ig...

May 14, 2022 12:33 PM
Feb 2021
Yeah I can pretty much like anything I watch. There's a reason I still have zero drops...
May 14, 2022 12:45 PM

May 2019
Well, I'm one of those people and it really is great that I get to enjoy every anime I watch :)
Loli hentai is hot.
May 14, 2022 12:50 PM

Oct 2011
There's only maybe a couple genres I won't specifically watch but I may skim through a bit just out of curiosity. Otherwise I watch just about everything. I also watched some of the worst stuff just out of curiosity.
May 14, 2022 12:54 PM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
I also do watch everything, and I always thought this was the same for the majority of people. Why would I not watch the genre I dislike if it could be a revolutionary anime that would change my view, or it could have an OST that would become my favorite, or it would have a character that would become my favorite. Also, every anime that I end up disliking only reinforces my love for the next anime I will like, and for my favorites. It's just a certain mindset I guess, which is the same reason why I don't drop anything
9cycle cycle9

May 14, 2022 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Its actually really nice. I can also kind of do that ,however I easily get bored with certain stuff
May 14, 2022 1:11 PM

Nov 2013
I dont know anyone like that because they have better things to do lol. So I guess my only thought is "Wow, they must have nothing better to do."
May 14, 2022 1:26 PM

Aug 2010
I'm like that too and it's the best thing ever. One can step out of their comfort zone and find something they wouldn't if they only watched several genres. Of course it's not for everyone and I totally respect that, but then we have people who refuse to try something new and just bitch on everything different. Those people just suck. Watching same stuff gets repetetive and boring after several years. I've been watching anime for over 10 years now and if I hadn't broaden up my horizons, I might've ended up not watching anime anymore bc it would get boring.
May 14, 2022 1:36 PM

Aug 2018
I watch almost every genre, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy any show. I think that most of the "genre" deal is just prejudice. I mean, there are genres that one might not enjoy, but I've seen a lot people not even trying.

If you explore, you are gonna find something, I think that people are just lazy and it's fine. You don't need to go out of your way to enjoy something, you just need to find that something that makes you want to go out of your way. I do it with anime for example, but that doesn't mean that everyone should do it.
May 14, 2022 1:47 PM

Aug 2020
Being able to watch everything doesn't mean someone has no preferences. There are still things that appeal to us more than others naturally, it just means we don't draw such harsh lines as "genre/theme I absolutely won't watch".

For example, I watch pretty much any genre out there, because there's nothing that would make me automatically turn away. That doesn't mean I like everything equally - overall, I watch more action adventures than other stuff, because that's something I enjoy, and the ecchi series I like I usually like DESPITE the ecchi, not because of it, because that's generally something I don't enjoy. So there definitely are preferences - but I won't watch something JUST because it's an action adventure, and I won't avoid something just because it has ecchi. If it's enjoyable, it's enjoyable, regardless of theme or overall audience reception.

Part of why I can watch pretty much anything is because my interests are pretty broad, so there's a lot of topics that make me go "Oh yeah that's something I was always interested in!", the other is that I just don't wanna rob myself of the wide range of great shows I'd be missing out on if I skipped entire genres 🤷‍♀️

So no, I'm not envious of your friend, it's more like I relate to them, but I did want to clarify that "liking all genres" generally doesn't mean everything is truly liked completely equally.
May 14, 2022 1:57 PM

Aug 2018
Hmm, I can't lie, a little envious. It makes me wish I was more open minded, but I do try to give most things a go.
May 14, 2022 2:02 PM

Sep 2011
I am strong as fuck. I watch everything and anything.
May 14, 2022 2:04 PM

May 2018
If I could enjoy everything I wouldn't watch cartoons to begin with...staring at walls would be way cheaper...
I don't think I can be jealous of a person who enjoys staring at walls...even a little.
May 14, 2022 2:06 PM

Mar 2022
More power to them. Being able to articulate why they like something would be nice, though.
May 14, 2022 2:08 PM
Mar 2021
It's impressive, and I feel bad sometimes that there's certain genres I'm biased against. I hate feeling picky because I feel uncultured and pedestrian, but just like how my gag reflex revolts against mushrooms and crab, there's a metaphorically similar response to certain genres of media in my mind. I do very much envy the people that don't have that.
May 14, 2022 2:10 PM

Jan 2020
If something is good, it's good. I'm willing to check out genres I'm generally not a fan of if the story and characters are good enough. It is what it is. I'm a fan of a good story.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

May 14, 2022 2:57 PM

Oct 2017
I tend to be able to enjoy most genres, eras but while I am not a highly critical watcher in my opinion I hardly can watch or enjoy everything.

I agree it's quite nice. Outside of the few comedically bad titles bad media just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's not pleasant. It would be great to never feel that way or at least very rarely.
May 14, 2022 3:04 PM

May 2014
I feel bad for them because anime will take all their lives away and they wouldn't be able to invest in anything without having a hard willed decision to do so , otherwise for them "that anime" and "this anime" will always out value whatever they need/should do
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

132 by FFandMMfan »»
28 seconds ago

» When did you realize you had bad taste in anime? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 28

53 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
1 minute ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

34 by rsc-pl »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Apr 26

27 by Dauphine »»
17 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

47 by brainburger »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.