Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 21, 2021 12:58 PM

Apr 2018
Mika-taicho said:
elany said:

Oh yeah, I can totally see why people would be annoyed by that. It's clear what the show was trying to do, but it did go about it with all the subtlety of a fireworks display and I can't blame anybody for getting irked by that. Personally I didn't mind it that much bc, I mean, it's not like every other part of this show isn't over the top too, so might as well.

But that's not really what I was talking about. I was more so talking about the attitude that Reki has to be a good skateboarder to deserve his MC status, which to me are two completely unrelated concepts. He could be literally the worst skater in the world and he'd still be a good protagonist of this particular story, bc the plot doesn't hinge on his skateboarding skills. Like, saying "why did they make him bad at skateboarding, isn't he the mc" makes no sense bc those two things are largely unrelated.

That's fair, tho I do kinda understand their sentiment to SOME EXTENT since it's largely the anime's fault. The whole shtick is to skate etc. so when a character doesn't do that and the show does not bother to emphasize anything else they might have going for them that would be relevant to the main plot, then such attitudes jump out. One could argue Reki's thing would be the vast knowledge abt skateboards and the making of them but the show didnt particularly care for that after like 2-3 episodes. Only Langa praised him on some random occassions but no one else in this show rly gave a shit about it so. I honestly dont know how they wanna fit Reki here (especially in this tournament arc) after 7 episodes of like not rly committing to giving him anything significant to do or have going for him (related to plot). Ig we will see.

Hmm y'know, I would actually argue that Langa improving exponentially and Reki getting the short end of the stick is what he's got going on. That's what his character arc has been centred around and that's been like. Half of the plot so far anyway. It's just not a particularly prestigious role to play or fun to watch a character you like be put through.
But combined with everything you said, how he hasn't really had anything to fall back on in an anime that's all about skating, actually makes me more interested in how they're gonna resolve his personal issues and what the role of the tournament will be for his arc - and vice versa, what role he'll serve in the tournament.
Honestly I really hope they do something with his board building hobby and focus on that more, because then we'd get almost like a racer/car mechanic duo, which I'd totally dig. That being said, I can see how that, all of what I just said, really, could be downright disappointing if you'd rather just have some cool, badass skating, which is probably what we all initially started watching for anyway.
Feb 21, 2021 1:11 PM
Oct 2020
sonderful said:
this episode was expected plot-wise. reki was going to have to become jealous at some point in time, and after a lighthearted beach episode, it was predictable that it would be this one. reki has all the right to be jealous, and he's my favorite character of the show, and i think that this episode was necessary for his character development.

although it's unlikely, i'd like for him to not only develop as a person but also improve as a skater. everyone in the show seems to have talents in certain aspects of skating, and reki doesn't seem to have his yet (besides making skateboards of course). it would be great if he could disappear for a bit to train on his own and then come back and compete in the tournament himself, stronger and more powerful than ever, and hopefully the spotlight will rightfully be on him.

agreed. Really emotional episode. Right in the kokoro.
I hope ma boy Reki will chill and shine again ^^ Maybe, he will even win tournament or sth?
Feb 21, 2021 1:15 PM

Mar 2015
I know it's not gonna happen but I'd love to see Tadashi beat Adam in the tournament lmao

Nice to see Reki get some more spotlight.
Feb 21, 2021 1:23 PM

Jan 2017
Well that boring part of "MC is in his Emo phase" is here, I hope that we will get the redemption in the next episode no not it will be hard to wrap everything in the remaining episodes.
Feb 21, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2011
Reki just an idiot for me, I can understand the feeling when you don't have the talent to keep pace with the best I got this feeling a lot in my life, but at least I can't be mad at someone just because he is better than me, life not fair you have to move on not cry like a bitch
Feb 21, 2021 2:58 PM
Apr 2013
I think we've all gone through something like this before. I always thought Reki might be better suited for making skateboards anyway, but it will be interesting to see his direction.
Feb 21, 2021 3:08 PM
Feb 2021
kaid0ushun said:
it was definitely emotional, but reki should be happy for his best friend, just because he's a tiny bit behind isn't rlly a big deal. i liked reki a lot but now idk. also, after this idk if they're gonna end up together like most fans thought. they're basically beyond repair in terms of relationship

not to be mean but, what do u mean with “reki should be happy for his best friend.” he’s been supporting him throughout the whole anime. he was so happy and proud and probably still is. it’s very human to feel like shit because you can’t keep up with others. it might be a bit selfish but this shouldn’t be a reason to suddenly like the character less. this is actually a really good thing, it’s unlike those animes where the characters don’t show any type of emotion after getting completely humiliated several times.
Feb 21, 2021 3:58 PM
Dec 2019
i knew i'm emotional with these type of "oh talented dud just passed me and i'm feeling super shitty" since the time i watched Haikyuu and saw Oikawa's and Kageyama's relationship, these kind of emotions are never ok with me T-T

way too relatable and heart wrenching imo
Feb 21, 2021 5:31 PM

Feb 2020
No. Just no.

Just

No.
Feb 21, 2021 6:32 PM

Oct 2014
Reki is being selfish and jealous. I understand why, still he is frustrating. I wish he'd just be honest with how he feels. He is self-sabotaging, in spite of how often Langa tried to help him. This arc is meant to strengthen their bond and grow Reki as a character, though it only feels forced. In the first half of the ep, when random skaters shit-talked Reki right in front of him, I couldn't take it seriously. It seemed so unrealistic like everything is staged. I like this show a lot when it doesn't take itself too seriously. Free! had the same issue.
Feb 21, 2021 8:31 PM
Jan 2021
Well, this episode hits close to home. I relate to Reki as I am one of a few people out of our big highschool friend group that never graduated college. I still hang out with them but I always feel like they are more mature and just so far ahead of me in life. It's a feeling that can be used as motivation or a hindrance depending on how you decide to react to it.
Feb 21, 2021 10:30 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, the angst was real this episode. With only a few months of practice, Langa managed to surpass Reki, who has been skating for years, and has even created an immense gap between them by now. Due to this, Reki feels inferior to him and I can't really blame him for that. His outburst towards... basically himself was totally understandable but hopefully, he will come back stronger once he sorts out these conflicted feelings.
This said, looking forward to this tournament the scumbag of ADAM is planning.
SouthRzVaFeb 21, 2021 10:33 PM
Feb 21, 2021 11:18 PM

Mar 2008
Ohhh no this episode was not okay. I really hope Reki comes to terms with stuff so everything goes back to how it was. If not, my whole rating for this show will be affected. ADAM is so awful to poor Tadashi. It was nice seeing JOE and Cherry Blossom in uniforms. That lip ring tho.
Feb 22, 2021 1:09 AM
Nov 2020
Wow, I wasn't expecting this after a lighthearted beach episode. But no complaints from me.
Feb 22, 2021 1:35 AM
Oct 2020
Fruitpie said:
So Reki did to Langa the same thing Miya's friends did to him, huh?
Too bad, Reki was my favourite character. Obviously he is not now.
ii feel like its acceptable for him to feel that eay maybe he could’ve dealt with it in another way but we need to understand what hes going through and how bad you can feel about everything, i think a lot of people can relate to him and they will probably sort everything out at some point
Feb 22, 2021 8:19 AM
Feb 2021
I feel like Reki and Land have super contrasting views right now. During Reki's beef with Adam he was so scared he literally said " I'm going to die" he was even so scared of that charge attack that Addam does that he jumped off his skateboard but Langa isn't like that. Langa never felt fear from Adam and instead persevered and I think that's where there is that contrast between the two. Reki is hurt because Langa doesn't understand Reki's fear where Reki is trying to look out for Langa. At the same time, I think Reki should voice his opinions he's leaving Langa in the dark about how he truly feels and that's unfair to Langa who doesn't understand why Reki has become so distant. I wish Reki didn't feel so inferior when he is such an amazing character I mean he literally BUILT Langa's skateboard and taught him that's amazing!! hopefully, we see some confidence grow in Reki because I really want to see Reki do amazing in front of all the people who keep hating on him.
Feb 22, 2021 1:43 PM

Feb 2015
So Reki is doing the same thing to Langa that Miya's old friends did to him, huh. I get where he is coming from, but it's not Langa's fault that he's that talented and that people like him. I also doubt he wouldn't have defended Reki, if he had heard what those dudes at S said about him. But it's still the most realistic reaction, so I don't blame Reki at all.

It was great to see Joe, Cherry and Adam when they were younger. Cherry was a total punk haha.
StormxNightmareFeb 22, 2021 1:47 PM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Feb 22, 2021 3:56 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The downward spiral for Reki continues as he continues doubt himself while Langa continues to shine as he keeps getting better and better. He finally realizes that he is no where near Adam or Langa's level of skateboarding and he's officially hit rock bottom. I also think that Reki lashing out at Langa was uncalled for since Langa was standing in the rain waiting on him. While Reki was trying to copy what Langa was doing Langa was wondering where he was at. It's obvious that Reki has not gotten over loosing to Adam and he's basically projecting his fears and insecurities on Lagna who's not afraid Adam and gets a rush of energy whenever he skates against Adam.
Feb 22, 2021 5:14 PM

Jan 2008
*Reki sees Langa do some inhuman god like skating skill*

Reki: Why does the writer like Langa more? :(
*depressed mode activated*
Feb 22, 2021 5:17 PM

Mar 2010
I get how Reki feeks:( Hope he gets stronger after this. lol at Adam's entrance. Adam looks way happier while skating then being in his normal life. Rich people issues.. Poor langa and reki.
Feb 22, 2021 6:07 PM
Jul 2017
I just hope that Reki gets better or even as good as Langa does. Thing is this whole time, he has been skateboarding according to his style which is kinda the standard style for skateboarding. He then tries to grasp other peoples' skating style such as Miya's edge grind or whatever it is to defeat Adam. I think that he could develop his own style or something. If that happens then great! If it doesnt but still he gets back together with Langa as a friend, then thats also great!
Feb 22, 2021 11:25 PM
Oct 2018
This was by far the best of episode of the series (so far). Can't wait for the next episode.
Feb 23, 2021 2:15 AM

Oct 2017
Ah yes this was bound to happen. Reki finally broke, the normie can't keep up with the genius. I hope he can get better at skating but maybe that's asking for too much.
Feb 23, 2021 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
sad episode i hope the two will be normal again.
Feb 23, 2021 6:41 PM
Jun 2019
I feel really sorry for Reki, but also for Langa. On one hand, Reki feels left behind even though he trained Langa to be the skater that he is. But on the other, Langa is improving so much and is proud of himself, he wants his friend to be proud of him too. I hope they work past this soon, they're such good friends
Feb 24, 2021 6:38 PM

Apr 2016
Reki was so selfish, he couldn't accept the fact that Arya had been snowboarding for longer. So, Arya didn't take long to learn to skateboard. I was a little upset why Reki forbade Arya not to go against Adam just because of his past.
Feb 24, 2021 7:07 PM

Oct 2008
SO GAY!!!
we've seen Reki's worst moments!
LQ Reki x Langa! come-on just they should just made-up and go all the way M-2-M! LELZ

Feb 25, 2021 7:42 AM
Feb 2021
i feel so sorry for renki he genuinely deserves better. I've been there and know that feeling i just hope everything turns out better and Renki can finally notice his talent.
Feb 25, 2021 1:14 PM
Apr 2019
This was really hard to watch somehow, but I felt like it was foreshadowed by the previous episode (I suddenly remembered one of the first scenes of ep 6 where Reki gets left behind).

It's saddening how 'happiness' and the good times with people are fleeting.
Feb 25, 2021 8:58 PM

Sep 2018
Wahhhh I feel bad for Reki T_____T Ranga outshine him, actually he didn't skate that much, he's more a "mechanic" of skateboarding but I understand him so much.. feeling left out in the group (┳Д┳)

it looks like break up scene :(
Feb 26, 2021 9:24 AM

Jan 2021
I think I hate Adam now. After throwing Tadashi under the bus, I don't believe he deserves a redemption. However, I won't blame him for Reki and Langa's 'break up' or whatever that tear beggar was, it's something they have to get through in their relationship, and was bound to come up at some point.
Ryuk is somewhat relatable

Feb 26, 2021 1:50 PM
Oct 2014
Fruitpie said:
right? He even said that he wouldn't disappear from Miya's sight. I like how this turned out though. He is being tested to see if he can uphold his word. From the very beginning, I wondering why Reki keeps taking L's while Langa is getting dubs. I'm like if Langa is so good, why is Reki the MC? He has no notable traits. (Normally they'll give the mc some kind talent to compensate for their disadvantages) Now we know why. It was all setup for this. Well played studio Bones
Feb 26, 2021 2:01 PM
Oct 2014
TreatYY said:
Reki was so selfish, he couldn't accept the fact that Arya had been snowboarding for longer. So, Arya didn't take long to learn to skateboard. I was a little upset why Reki forbade Arya not to go against Adam just because of his past.
at first, he doesn't want his friend injured. Later he realizes that he is only holding back his friend. And that's why he let's go. Reminds of Liz and the blue bird.(moral: let the bird free after have nurtured it.)
Feb 26, 2021 2:02 PM
Oct 2014
UberBat said:
*Reki sees Langa do some inhuman god like skating skill*

Reki: Why does the writer like Langa more? :(
*depressed mode activated*
Reki: I thought I was the mc :(
Feb 26, 2021 2:04 PM
Oct 2014
Pre_Yum said:
Reki isn't doing well. Right now, he's really feeling down. As my favorite character in this show, It's so hard to see him like that. I can relate to the situation he's been going through. You don't want to be under the shadow of someone forever when you want to do good as well. He's just feeling inferior to Langa. Can't blame him too. I hope they sort this out.
I thought he just wanted to skate for fun. He didn't seem to mind losing to everyone else his whole life. But when it comes to his best friend, he doesn't want to fall behind.
q1w2e3r4t5Feb 26, 2021 2:09 PM
Feb 27, 2021 10:16 AM

Nov 2019
Langa is pushing his skating with gay abandon trying to catch (up to) Adam..

And now his partner broke up with him over it..

I guess it hasn't gone unnoticed.. The love tropes being used for these three..

The others started to notice his reckless behavior too..

So there's some foreshadowing of things to come..
Feb 28, 2021 3:36 AM

Mar 2009
This was a long time coming, and also kind of meta. Discussions on forums and social media have all been wondering the same: isn't Reki supposed to be the protagonist?
Mar 1, 2021 12:25 PM
Jun 2015
Mika-taicho said:
Fruitpie said:

Eh is it the same thing? he did say he was scared and stuff if I understood correctly. And I saw he thought Langa was breaking their promise about Adam? He probably feels betrayed. Plus he has been continuously supporting Langa but there is no point continuing a relationship if you feel the way Reki does or if the relationship is just not working out. Obviously it's not Langa's fault but I would rather Reki took a break and sort his feelings out on this matter instead of bottling it inside. It's better this way and I personally don't think that makes him a bad person. The show already dunks on him a lot lol It would be weird if he didn't feel anything.
Agreed. For me as of now it just seems like Reki is being used as a character to make everyone else look better. So I hope he gets more development.
Mar 1, 2021 12:30 PM
Jun 2015
Mika-taicho said:
This was a rly heart wrenching episode. I feel extra bad for Reki, I know how it is. Hopefully he resolves his feelings cause I doubt this anime ends on a sad note lol

On the other hand it always bothers me how this show tries to beat you over the head with that whole message "Langa is superior a genius at EVERYTHING (that came out of nowhere tbh) just look at him and how great he is meanwhile Reki is this inferior one, he doesn't have such amazing talent blah blah". Like,,, i get it lmfao I understood that like 4 eps ago, seriously.

I wonder how Reki will come back from this tho. I don't think the show ever established his "skater personality" I would say. I don't remember seeing him skate for more than some leisure/fun/comedy stuff and that one time Adam humiliated him so I do wonder how this is going to end. It's gonna suck tho if they are keeping it for the finale if at all. I would like to actually see Reki skate druing some major moments,,,,

EDIT: ok so i watched it with subs... does the show have to constantly insult Reki all the time?? shadow and miya pointing out no one cares about Reki. Damn, others calling him a lowlife that hangs around Langa like some pest who is only there for attention and doesnt deserve being remembered. That was so uncalled for. There are ways of showing there is a power difference without being like THIS all the damn time.
This I agree with. While watching the show it seemed everybody had a specific style or personality when skating. However in the show we never see Reki truly skate. Its always skating leisurely or just getting his ass kicked. I hope they develop more on Reki because it would suck if they just leave it as is.
Mar 1, 2021 12:36 PM
Jun 2015
spectrojan said:
Fruitpie said:

It's far from the same thing. You probably don't see all this from Reki's perspective at all. Reki was always happy to see Langa perform well and get the attention he deserves, even at the beginning of this episode, he was happy hearing praise about Langa. His envy and frustration doesn't stem from the fact that his friend has become better than him at skateboarding, it stems from the fact that he has been resorted to a "lowlife" that hangs around with Langa, and all the effort he has ever put into skateboarding has seemingly been negated just because he was left behind. If you were in Reki's stead, would you really be able to calmly shake off the things those random dudes were saying about you? That you were just a lowlife hanging around with your friend? That he was the talented one and you were nothing? Despite all the effort and time you put into skateboarding? Or do you prefer idealistic characters that are unable to feel any kind of emotion besides positivity? Reki's reaction is very human, anyone else would feel the same pain. Nobody can hear those things about themselves and feel unaffected.
You know funny that you brought up the topic on the realism of Reki's character because while watching all sorts of sports and action animes. I've come to realize that people usually don't find a character that is very human and realistic in terms of perception and emotion very favorable. Like usually these kinds of characters are not favorites you know. But I personally like how realistic these kinds of characters are.
Mar 2, 2021 9:40 AM
Dec 2020
what reki is feeling hits way too close to home for me
doing your best but never being enough to keep up with everyone else is just heartbreaking
Mar 5, 2021 12:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So Reki is complexed by Langa's skills and he's depressed now, it's not nice to see :/ and there is a great tournament held by Adam, if they all participate (except Reki unfortunately) it's going to be interesting
Mar 6, 2021 12:53 PM

Mar 2019
i'm so glad the obvious difference in their skill has been addressed. i was wondering when reki was going to feel some sort of way about langa being better than him?? langa's face in the last scene makes me so sad tho :')
Mar 12, 2021 12:57 PM

Feb 2018
This arc should have come before the Miya arc. Now this only feels like a backwards develoment in Reki.
Mar 15, 2021 7:28 PM

Aug 2017
Such a sad episode. I hope they can reconcile in the future.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 18, 2021 1:59 AM
Nov 2020
Fruitpie said:

it is such as stupidly review. i apperaciate you loved reki but it was not his fault. he was working for years. but langa came and he is so talented. it is very heartbreaking for reki.
Mar 26, 2021 3:46 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
oUCH OUCH OUCH I figured the whole gap in skills thing was going to be an obstacle, but damn they really nailed it on. Like ouch.
I get Reki. I've been in that situation/am in that situation. I was always just drawing with my friends and we all just had a good time together. Some of the friends I'd draw with were not quite at the level even they wanted to be at, which was fine with me.
Then years later it was like, "Oof", because those same friends completely left me in the dust with their skills. And it was like, yeah I was trying, but I guess they were just trying better.
We'll see how it goes for Reki and Langa.;;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 2, 2021 10:06 AM

Jul 2019
I was not ready for them to pull this level of drama after the fricking beach episode

Who does that, I got ptsd from this lol
Apr 27, 2021 6:48 PM

Aug 2018
I'm surprised it took Reki 7 episodes to get jealous. and notices that Langa is amazing and that he can't keep up with Langa Overall 8 out of 10 sad Episode
May 18, 2021 4:18 PM

Mar 2020
Reki is so relatable. Fuck i ended up feeling depressed again
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Langa's relationship with reki ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - May 7, 2022

65 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 10, 3:11 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

147 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 4, 5:21 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2021

142 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 31, 4:58 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

210 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 30, 4:56 AM

» SK8 the Infinity Event & Bucchigiri!?

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

8 by OnlyAraku »»
Jan 9, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.