Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2020 1:28 PM

Sep 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It was unfortunately expected how things were gonna turn out. Akane bullied to hell online by everyone, leading her to getting really depressed and trying to kill herself, luckily our boi Aqua was there to save her, I wasn't expecting him to have to be so direct at preventing her demise, but it seems that their conversation is happening now, wonder what he'll say.
Nov 18, 2020 1:56 PM

May 2016
Stop reading those comments honey, they are from mediocre people who put their expectations and dreams on other people and get disappointed or angry when things don't go as planned. You are famous dear, the criticisms will not disappear so you must ignore them and accept them as part of the job, you are beautiful and you must not let someone else make you think otherwise.
Nov 19, 2020 5:26 PM
Aug 2014
Just this year a popular Japanese reality TV show, Terrace House, was cancelled after one of the stars, Hana Kimura committed suicide due to cyber bullying.

The situation between Akane and Hana is pretty similar:
- the goal of both reality shows is to get the stars to date
- both worked professionally in the entertainment industry, so they needed to be on social media in order to maintain a presence, but this would also result in increased exposure to negativity
- public opinion sharply turns negative due to an interaction Hana and Akane had with another star

I am guessing the Terrace House incident played a major part in prompting the author to write about the dark side of reality TV next. Unfortunately for Hana, there was no Aqua.
Nov 20, 2020 11:54 PM

May 2016
Looks like Kana and Ruby's going to get a new member....
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Nov 21, 2020 12:09 AM
Apr 2014
shit that's grim, even for a fictional character

Nov 21, 2020 12:47 AM

Sep 2019
Twitter loves drama, they always say the most hurtful things and they don’t even feel bad about it. It was expected to take a turn like this but I didn’t think she would actually try to kill herself. I hope Aqua’ll be able to make her feel better about herself.
Nov 21, 2020 1:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This is why cyber bullying in general is fucked, and the Japanese idol industry is probably one of the worst examples too
Nov 21, 2020 8:23 AM

Oct 2017
There are so many dumb and retards in the world.

Woa wasn't expecting Aqua to pop up like that.
Nov 21, 2020 11:35 AM
Aug 2020
This was a pretty serious chapter, it felt like this is definitely something that could happen in real life (I know there was a very similar situation that happened to a Japanese reality TV star, unfortunately, it ended in suicide).

I like how they are fleshing out side characters. I am interested in seeing where the characters and their relationships will go.
Nov 21, 2020 5:34 PM

Mar 2015
back to the root aren't you aka.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 24, 2020 9:37 PM

Oct 2017
Oof, this was a really cruel chapter. But yeah, that's how retarded the fanbases are sadly. Seeing Akane hurt so much when she has such a good and honest personality felt really sad... and after each page I was like isn't the author too cruel? But people are this retarded and toxic as well as desperate. They only need a reason as vague as it may be to bring you down. I liked how Aqua saved her from suicide. Otherwise, this would've been another down for me. First Ai, now Akane (ノ_<。).
Dec 1, 2020 9:06 PM

Nov 2020
I really like the way this chapter tackles the issue of cyberbullying, it's very effective in getting its point across.
Jan 6, 2021 11:42 PM

Apr 2019
400lb otaku who live in their moms basements criticizing a teenage girl, how down bad do they have to be. Japanese cancel culture, cancel culture in general is disgusting.

Aug 8, 2021 2:14 AM

Jan 2017
Fantastic portrayal of how badly cyberbullying can harm an individual, if only Akane knew to shut out the hateful comments but easier said than done
Aug 17, 2021 11:34 AM

Feb 2019
Akasaka-sensei really is something else. This chapter was phenomenal and actually brought tears out of me. He really showed us how brutal this was. No punches were pulled. Of course, this was also possible because of Yokoyari-sensei's superb art.

As I was reading, the case of Hana Kimura kept popping up in my head. I felt like it was really similar. And as we got closer to the end, it felt ominously more and more similar to the point where I was afraid where it was headed. Just in the nick of time, thankfully, our Aqua was there. All my tension melted, and my eyes got real watery there. Thank you for that, Aqua. He won't let anyone be destroyed by the brutal entertainment industry just like how his mother died because of it. I do wonder what he'll say to Akane though, but I bet Akane will be part of the new B-Komachi.

The translation I'm reading has an appendix at the end written by the translator where they give context about Hana Kimura. I already knew the incident, but not in as much detail as he provided.

That's where I realised these mangaka who created Oshi no Ko were amazing. Reading an article or watching a video about it can tell us their pain, and why they did what they did. But seeing it happen to Akane like this, seeing it directly from her perspective... That made it really real. Painfully real.

It was sad that there was no Aqua to save Hana Kimura that day. But hopefully, nothing like this will ever happen again. That seems like a far-fetched fantasy, so the best we can hope is probably that things like these will continue to decrease.

Thank you, Akasaka-sensei, Yokoyari-sensei. You two have earned my deepest respect. And it has made Oshi no Ko a favourite of mine. And also, maybe the most important thing that came out of this chapter, it gave me a new perspective on the Hana Kimura incident. I think that really shows the power of art. This manga is definitely no exception.

Rest in peace, Hana Kimura.
Oct 27, 2021 9:26 PM
Jul 2019
It was extremely hard to read this chapter...Aka Akasaka never fails to impress me.
Jan 3, 2022 8:46 PM

Aug 2018
THANKS AQUA! thank goodness
This chapter...fuck. Poor Akane :(
What's worse, is that this in real life actually happens.
Feb 1, 2022 1:45 PM

May 2021
#CancelCancelCulture
Seriously tho, Cancel Culture is even more dangerous than what I have heard.

For those who were unaware of the Kimura Hana - Terrace House incident, which is probably where the mangaka took inspiration from.
RioFSFeb 1, 2022 1:48 PM

Mar 22, 2022 12:01 AM

May 2020
These clowns on internet don't have lives, so you don't really have to get worked up over their intellectual opinions. Have to appreciate the sense of realism they portrayed. Power to Akane.
Jun 20, 2022 2:26 PM
Jul 2017
It’s honestly sad how real this chapter is. As with every controversy however, I’m surprised we didn’t see any comments defending Akane. There’s always two sides even if one side is more dominant than the other.
Jul 22, 2022 6:08 AM
Dec 2020
This is the most real portrait of internet.
They know only one side of the story and try to judge people based on it. Reading the appendix made me realise why Akasaka tried to shed some light on this topic
Nov 14, 2022 2:14 PM

Nov 2013
Seriously, if cyber-bullying leads to death, all the hateful people involved should be IP-tracked and prosecuted. Makes you hate mankind... Most of these haters are human garbage, living a miserable life.

This was a heavy chapter. It was obvious where things were going. Big sigh of relief at the end.
Apr 28, 2023 10:45 AM
Apr 2020
Still the best chapter
Jul 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Apr 2021
Yup!!! This point of the story is where "Oshi no Ko" became one of my many favorites!!!!

Looking back, the anime did an excellent job here!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Chapter 149 Discussion

ARK-13 - May 13

6 by KanYeeT »»
Yesterday, 5:32 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Chapter 148 Discussion

ARK-13 - May 1

36 by Atsunome »»
Yesterday, 5:14 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Chapter 83 Discussion

Rexnihilo - Jun 9, 2022

23 by SaltyCookie »»
May 5, 7:02 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Chapter 78 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 13, 2022

48 by SaltyCookie »»
May 5, 1:48 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Chapter 147 Discussion

ARK-13 - Apr 22

29 by Artik_Mk »»
May 4, 11:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.