Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2018 5:11 PM

Sep 2009
CHC said:
SNDT said:

Alright, one more time. He is NOT a human. He is a monster. Terms like "sociopath", "psychopath" can be applied only to people who live in society. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with monsters.

He was a human being. He still has the memory of his human past. He treasures his human memory of his human friendship with his human friends. It was never indicated in the show that Ainz has completely abandoned his human identity and has now entirely identified himself with his new role. Instead we've been constantly reminded that he's just putting on a persona. Even now he is still showing a lot relatable human characteristics like having imposter syndrome and showing care towards specific people. He is way too humanoid to not apply human categories on him. Also, he DOES live in a society: he grew up in one and he's living right now in a society called Nazarick. He also interacts socially with other human beings as Momon. He relies on them for information, trading, food and shelter when he acts as Momon. It is not like he is just a wild animal having no intellect, no communicative capacity, no cooperative behaviours and no conceptual capacity. He clearly has concepts of morality and he is capable to act morally if he choose to, unlike animal. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with him? How are we going to understand why Ainz felt insulted when that guy lied about his old friend? Do monsters feel insulted when they are lie to? Do monsters care about honesty?

Well, philosophy aside, I don't really understand why it's such a big deal. "Psychopathic" is just one adjective amongst others for us to make sense of humanoid characters in fiction. Just like we would use terms like "sad", "remorseful", "sentimental", "timid", "resentful", "vicious" to other humanoid characters in anime. We wouldn't understand those humanoids, let alone relate to them, if we do not consider them to be essentially humanlike.

heres the keyword asshole "WAS"
idk if you read the VN or manga or watched the first season but his avatar literally has some passive skills that makes him immune to some shit and makes him calm and collected. the fact that for him they were nothing but a bunch of thieves and scumbag he had no reason to show mercy for them, wtf did you even think when he asked them (as momon) in the briefing???

he doesnt hate humans but at the same time he also doesnt care about them that much as he cares about for the nazarick npcs
Aug 28, 2018 5:12 PM
Jul 2015
Yeah I'm dropping the show now.

Up until this point I was under the impression that the whole show conflict was that Ainz was just a normal guy thrown into a position of extreme power where everyone expected him to be an evil overlord, so to conform to those expectations he would play the part but would also be a good guy whenever possible, even going so far as bullshitting the guardians to make it seem like it's all part of his plan, so even though he's overpowered he still had challenges you wanted him to succeed at.

This episode however made it clear that I misunderstood the series and Ainz is just an overpowered bad guy with nothing standing on his way, neither enemies nor morals, which for me doesn't make it for a very interesting story, hence why I'm dropping it.
jupitelthunderAug 28, 2018 5:16 PM
Aug 28, 2018 5:13 PM

Mar 2017
jupitelthunder said:

Up until this point I was under the impression that the whole show conflict was that Ains was just a normal guy thrown into a position of extreme power where everyone expected him to be an evil overlord, so to conform to those expectations he would play the part but would also be a good guy whenever possible, even going so far as bullshitting the guardians to make it seem like it's all part of his plan, so even though he's overpowered he still had challenges you wanted him to succeed at.

This episode however made it clear that I misunderstood the series and Ains is just an overpowered bad guy with nothing standing on his way, neither enemies nor morals, which for me doesn't make it for a very interesting story, hence why I'm dropping it.

Agree with you...can't stand with this bullshit.
Aug 28, 2018 5:18 PM

Aug 2012
Arche: We have the adamantite adventurer Momon of Darkness on out side!

The eerie music that plays when Robber is hearing his fate was great. Really added to the desperation.

Loved how much of a shit show this caused in the LN forums and now the anime forums. Most of the season 2 characters were spared because of Cocytus and Sebas (the few considered good). In the ED there backs are turned with a side of there face showing. No one is spared this season.
Aug 28, 2018 5:55 PM
Nov 2007
I also found this episode distasteful. Fights and such were fun, but I always enjoyed the show cause Ainz struggled with being evil, but although they were signs of some "mercy" it was not proper. At minimum I would have gave the Foresight quick deaths. It is ironic that the cruelest one got quick death from the hamster and the nicest bunch got that cruel faith.
Aug 28, 2018 5:55 PM

Jan 2008
mfw

It feels even worse when you know what happens to her sisters.
Aug 28, 2018 5:57 PM

Nov 2017
Christ,that was awesome,but somewhat horrifying as well.
Can't forget that Ainz wants to spread his name so that others from the game will know he's there,but it also seems to me that he is getting less and less human as the show goes on,and Yes,I know he's not human,but the guy who "plays" him is.
and so nice to hear Entoma's "voice" again,I was missing her.
Aug 28, 2018 5:58 PM

Jul 2017
Almost wish he played with them a bit, bring in Pandoras Actor as Momon and make them find out that he serves Ainz, crushing their will and confidence even more.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Aug 28, 2018 6:01 PM

Nov 2017
jupitelthunder said:

Up until this point I was under the impression that the whole show conflict was that Ainz was just a normal guy thrown into a position of extreme power where everyone expected him to be an evil overlord, so to conform to those expectations he would play the part but would also be a good guy whenever possible, even going so far as bullshitting the guardians to make it seem like it's all part of his plan, so even though he's overpowered he still had challenges you wanted him to succeed at.

This episode however made it clear that I misunderstood the series and Ainz is just an overpowered bad guy with nothing standing on his way, neither enemies nor morals, which for me doesn't make it for a very interesting story, hence why I'm dropping it.

Tbh,its your loss,dropping a show like this because of one episode is way too harsh imo.
Don't forget,they invaded his home,with the intention to steal anything they could.If someone did that to me,I'd have no mercy either.
Aug 28, 2018 6:04 PM

Nov 2017
Anatithe said:
Almost wish he played with them a bit, bring in Pandoras Actor as Momon and make them find out that he serves Ainz, crushing their will and confidence even more.

Technically,Momon doesn't serve Ainz,he is Ainz,but I agree,the mental torture that would've caused would have been great to see,esp with Pandoras Actor's "Overacting" :)
Aug 28, 2018 6:13 PM
Nov 2017
Overpowering
Ains is way too powerful, took them out with nothing
Can't wait for the massive destruction in episode 9
Aug 28, 2018 6:19 PM

Aug 2012
Starhammer said:

Tbh,its your loss,dropping a show like this because of one episode is way too harsh imo.
Don't forget,they invaded his home,with the intention to steal anything they could.If someone did that to me,I'd have no mercy either.

Is what it is. I watch something with a unique and interesting premise and I'm hooked even if it's dark. Some people cant handle it and get... well...

Aug 28, 2018 6:24 PM

Jun 2008
Necromia said:
Arche: We have the adamantite adventurer Momon of Darkness on out side!

This gif is amazing.
Aug 28, 2018 6:25 PM

Nov 2017
dannymilk said:
i laughed when the group said Momon would back them up...kinda wished Ains would go IT WAS ME! at them lol

and now i cant wait for pretty boy to get his shit wrecked

Oh fuck... you make my ass laugh ......
Now Loading.....
Aug 28, 2018 6:27 PM

Sep 2017
devilscorner said:
CHC said:

He was a human being. He still has the memory of his human past. He treasures his human memory of his human friendship with his human friends. It was never indicated in the show that Ainz has completely abandoned his human identity and has now entirely identified himself with his new role. Instead we've been constantly reminded that he's just putting on a persona. Even now he is still showing a lot relatable human characteristics like having imposter syndrome and showing care towards specific people. He is way too humanoid to not apply human categories on him. Also, he DOES live in a society: he grew up in one and he's living right now in a society called Nazarick. He also interacts socially with other human beings as Momon. He relies on them for information, trading, food and shelter when he acts as Momon. It is not like he is just a wild animal having no intellect, no communicative capacity, no cooperative behaviours and no conceptual capacity. He clearly has concepts of morality and he is capable to act morally if he choose to, unlike animal. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with him? How are we going to understand why Ainz felt insulted when that guy lied about his old friend? Do monsters feel insulted when they are lie to? Do monsters care about honesty?

Well, philosophy aside, I don't really understand why it's such a big deal. "Psychopathic" is just one adjective amongst others for us to make sense of humanoid characters in fiction. Just like we would use terms like "sad", "remorseful", "sentimental", "timid", "resentful", "vicious" to other humanoid characters in anime. We wouldn't understand those humanoids, let alone relate to them, if we do not consider them to be essentially humanlike.

idk if you read the VN or manga or watched the first season but his avatar literally has some passive skills that makes him immune to some shit and makes him calm and collected. the fact that for him they were nothing but a bunch of thieves and scumbag he had no reason to show mercy for them, wtf did you even think when he asked them (as momon) in the briefing???

he doesnt hate humans but at the same time he also doesnt care about them that much as he cares about for the nazarick npcs

Thank you. Your logic (or the lack of) tell me a lot about how educated certain people are on this site. I didn't engage in a lot of discussion on MAL so I didn't know it would be such a waste of time.
Oh, since your have completely omitted everything I said after the first sentence, I don't think a response is needed.

BTW, even though I'm not a fan of the series at all (so far this season has been pretty average for me). This episode actually strikes me as the most interesting one as Ainz's shown to be actively involved in evildoing, not just being passively pushed around by external events and his underlings. That indeed added more complexity to the show as we are not just getting easy thrill from a power fantasy. It is getting interesting by this point. But I guess some fans of the show want to completely identify themselves with Ainz, that's why they get so mad when I call Ainz's behaviour psychopathic. They feel they themselves are insulted when Ainz is described in a way they wouldn't want themselves to be so described.
Aug 28, 2018 6:30 PM

Nov 2017
TBH, after reading some comment on this topic, i almost cry after knowing that there are no better fate from the intruder (especially for the sisters).

Now Loading.....
Aug 28, 2018 6:34 PM

Oct 2015
Best episode since the 1st season when Ains fought Shalltear. Oh my word he completely cremated them, and as for Shalltear my favorite, she did a wonderful sadistic performance.

I didn't feel any remorse for them except the girl's sisters. I wish Overlord was like this, not this crap I was served the entire time.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 28, 2018 6:38 PM

Oct 2015
CHC said:
SNDT said:

Alright, one more time. He is NOT a human. He is a monster. Terms like "sociopath", "psychopath" can be applied only to people who live in society. Moral values of humanity have nothing to do with monsters.

ffs its just an anime, big deal for both of you to write such long essays

Aug 28, 2018 6:41 PM

Oct 2015
CHC said:
devilscorner said:

Thank you. Your logic (or the lack of) tell me a lot about how educated certain people are on this site. I didn't engage in a lot of discussion on MAL so I didn't know it would be such a waste of time.
Oh, since your have completely omitted everything I said after the first sentence, I don't think a response is needed.

BTW, even though I'm not a fan of the series at all (so far this season has been pretty average for me). This episode actually strikes me as the most interesting one as Ainz's shown to be actively involved in evildoing, not just being passively pushed around by external events and his underlings. That indeed added more complexity to the show as we are not just getting easy thrill from a power fantasy. It is getting interesting by this point. But I guess some fans of the show want to completely identify themselves with Ainz, that's why they get so mad when I call Ainz's behaviour psychopathic. They feel they themselves are insulted when Ainz is described in a way they wouldn't want themselves to be so described.
Why the long essays? Its just anime, to even get hot because of an animation, such maturity.

Aug 28, 2018 6:42 PM

Apr 2008
FeministSenpai said:
jupitelthunder said:

Up until this point I was under the impression that the whole show conflict was that Ains was just a normal guy thrown into a position of extreme power where everyone expected him to be an evil overlord, so to conform to those expectations he would play the part but would also be a good guy whenever possible, even going so far as bullshitting the guardians to make it seem like it's all part of his plan, so even though he's overpowered he still had challenges you wanted him to succeed at.

This episode however made it clear that I misunderstood the series and Ains is just an overpowered bad guy with nothing standing on his way, neither enemies nor morals, which for me doesn't make it for a very interesting story, hence why I'm dropping it.

Buh bye. No one will miss you
Aug 28, 2018 6:50 PM

Oct 2017
[quote=Darklight0303]
FeministSenpai said:
jupitelthunder said:

Buh bye. No one will miss you

Agree, LOL.
Aug 28, 2018 6:59 PM
Jul 2015
Starhammer said:
jupitelthunder said:

One episode which completely changed the main character and thus the entire point of the series. They invaded his home, yeah, but that was his plan all along and he was never even remotely threatened by it, it's awfully silly of him to act all butthurt about it (silly and unbecoming of a so-called "supreme being") and use it to justify his cruelty even after talking to the party and realizing they're not selfish.

I wouldn't mind the entire party getting killed in the most cruel way possible if Ainz had at least shown some remorse or was left with no other options, but that's not what happened, he simply got mad and acted like a dick. This is not about the show being dark, it's about a cool MC who was up until this point a fair (who's also merciless when the situation calls for it) overlord turning into an entitled asshole.
Aug 28, 2018 7:00 PM
Feb 2009
Was I the only one who, when they said a dragon has landed in the post credit scenes , thought it was the dragon glimpsed in season one (also from ygdrasil)
Aug 28, 2018 7:01 PM

Apr 2008
jupitelthunder said:
Starhammer said:

One episode which completely changed the main character and thus the entire point of the series. They invaded his home, yeah, but that was his plan all along and he was never even remotely threatened by it, it's awfully silly of him to act all butthurt about it (silly and unbecoming of a so-called "supreme being") and use it to justify his cruelty even after talking to the party and realizing they're not selfish.

I wouldn't mind the entire party getting killed in the most cruel way possible if Ainz had at least shown some remorse or was left with no other options, but that's not what happened, he simply got mad and acted like a dick. This is not about the show being dark, it's about a cool MC who was up until this point a fair (who's also merciless when the situation calls for it) overlord turning into an entitled asshole.

All he directly did is let someone spread the word of hte existence of his tomb. Other than that the workers all walked to their deaths willingly. He didn't say to them COME AND ROB MY PLACE.

Stop acting as if the Workers were some measure of saints just cause one of them had some sob story about her loli sisters
Aug 28, 2018 7:11 PM
Jul 2015
Darklight0303 said:
jupitelthunder said:

All he directly did is let someone spread the word of hte existence of his tomb. Other than that the workers all walked to their deaths willingly. He didn't say to them COME AND ROB MY PLACE.

Stop acting as if the Workers were some measure of saints just cause one of them had some sob story about her loli sisters

He planted the seed that made them invade his place and then decided to act mad over it like he doesn't know how people work and like he was so offended by people doing exactly what he expected them to do. I couldn't care less about sisters from a secondary character that was in the show for a couple of episodes, I care about Ainz going from reasonable to bratty, from noble villain to cliche bad guy.
Aug 28, 2018 7:14 PM

Apr 2008
jupitelthunder said:
Darklight0303 said:

He planted the seed that made them invade his place and then decided to act mad over it like he doesn't know how people work and like he was so offended by people doing exactly what he expected them to do. I couldn't care less about sisters from a secondary character that was in the show for a couple of episodes, I care about Ainz going from reasonable to bratty, from noble villain to cliche bad guy.

He gave them chances to walk out and they chose money over their own lives. Do you think Ainz and company went and complained to the devs whenever they got killed by a dungeon? Stop being daft
Aug 28, 2018 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
oh..okay so this is what this show is then huh welp time to change in my edgelord sadistic mode while watching this now on.

hopefully they still keep the balance of ainz being ruthless or kind when it's in self interest because right now it's confirmed that hes just straight up evil and will continue so which i wasn't the biggest fan of.
katsu044Aug 28, 2018 7:21 PM
Aug 28, 2018 7:23 PM

Aug 2014
So, ppl are just forgetting the Tomb is suppose to be the most terrifying place in all Yggdrasil and expect a happy ending?

loool know what u are watching bro
Aug 28, 2018 7:26 PM

Nov 2017
jupitelthunder said:
Starhammer said:

I noticed you used the word "merciless",and that precludes him feeling remorse in any way,and after all,why should he,he'd already given them one chance during the briefing,albeit as Momon, when he asked them why they had taken on this quest,to which they replied "Money,of course",so in that case why should he show remorse,or mercy.I admit that it did seem to be an abrupt change to his previous behaviour,but as in the case when his "comrades" got killed by Clementine and made undead,he showed then that he had no real interest in them,other than to further his name,as in this case,it was to enable him to attack the kingdom that sent the workers in the first place.
Ainz is all about Nazarick,and whats best for Nazarick,and its occupants.The mere fact that he knows the names of all the lesser maids,like Cixous,shows just how much he cares about them.
Anyways,you say your dropping it,good luck finding another series like it,though there are a lot of good anime out there,theres not much that is as interesting as this one.
Aug 28, 2018 7:26 PM
Sep 2015
This episode was heavy, i feel bad for the workers but what can you do? Once you trespass another persons property you should know the risk. Ugh, well im looking forward the next episode. ( sorry if my english is bad)
Aug 28, 2018 7:27 PM
Jul 2015
Darklight0303 said:
jupitelthunder said:

He gave them chances to walk out and they chose money over their own lives. Do you think Ainz and company went and complained to the devs whenever they got killed by a dungeon? Stop being daft

He gave them the chance knowing full well that they had no idea what level of horrors expected them, he could've easily stopped everyone if he wanted to, but no, he choose to exploit the workers and got mad when things went exactly as planned.

I don't see why you'd compare Yggdrasil Momonga (when he was sure everything was just a game and getting killed was all part of the fun) to current Momonga (when he doesn't know what the world he is in really is but knows it's not just a simple game anymore), surely you understand that what's reasonable in the first scenario might not be in the second, right?
Aug 28, 2018 7:27 PM

Nov 2017
Necromia said:
Starhammer said:

Is what it is. I watch something with a unique and interesting premise and I'm hooked even if it's dark. Some people cant handle it and get... well...

True,btw,love your banner with the Pleaides maids,superb :)
Aug 28, 2018 7:36 PM
Jul 2015
Starhammer said:
jupitelthunder said:

I noticed you used the word "merciless",and that precludes him feeling remorse in any way,and after all,why should he,he'd already given them one chance during the briefing,albeit as Momon, when he asked them why they had taken on this quest,to which they replied "Money,of course",so in that case why should he show remorse,or mercy.I admit that it did seem to be an abrupt change to his previous behaviour,but as in the case when his "comrades" got killed by Clementine and made undead,he showed then that he had no real interest in them,other than to further his name,as in this case,it was to enable him to attack the kingdom that sent the workers in the first place.
Ainz is all about Nazarick,and whats best for Nazarick,and its occupants.The mere fact that he knows the names of all the lesser maids,like Cixous,shows just how much he cares about them.
Anyways,you say your dropping it,good luck finding another series like it,though there are a lot of good anime out there,theres not much that is as interesting as this one.

I understand he does everything for Nazarick, that's cool, that's what I liked about the series, but up until now he was doing so without being needlessly cruel, and as I said before, went as far as bullshitting the guardians so that they wouldn't notice he's not super evil.

It was a very unique conflict which is what got me into the series to begin with, and since this conflict is now gone (or never existed to begin with and was just me understanding things wrong) there's nothing else for me to care about the series. I understand there's some appeal in the whole "Overpowered character takes over the world with no obstacles", but it's just not for me, not without the moral conflict I thought was present, so I don't think I'll be losing much.
Aug 28, 2018 7:36 PM

Nov 2017
jupitelthunder said:
Darklight0303 said:

He gave them the chance knowing full well that they had no idea what level of horrors expected them, he could've easily stopped everyone if he wanted to, but no, he choose to exploit the workers and got mad when things went exactly as planned.

I don't see why you'd compare Yggdrasil Momonga (when he was sure everything was just a game and getting killed was all part of the fun) to current Momonga (when he doesn't know what the world he is in really is but knows it's not just a simple game anymore), surely you understand that what's reasonable in the first scenario might not be in the second, right?

For starters,it was a game,so dying wasn't a problem,but now its not a game,and dying is real,so he has to be serious,otherwise he might die from one stupid,small mistake,and he knows that all to well with what happened to Shalltear.As far as he knew,one of them might have had an art or skill that might've been able to seriously damage him or one of his comrades,so he had to deal with them as he did.
For seconds,as I see it,he didn't get mad until they insulted the other Supreme Beings by trying to lie to him about them.In the end though,it doesn't matter,they still died.
And as for the others that didn't die in the arena,he didn't kill them,they were killed by the defences that Albedo put in place,just pointing that out.
And I still love Necromias pleaides banner,its so bloody cute!!
Aug 28, 2018 7:39 PM
Aug 2018
jupitelthunder said:

LMAO wtf have you been watching.. Never was it implied that ainz was a good guy.. He has said SEVERAL times that he doesnt kill needlessly but that doesnt mean he wont kill.. He said SEVERAL times that people have to benefit him to survive.. Idk what kind of fantasy world you were living in when you began this show but clearly you didnt pay attention.. Episode 1 of season 1 he clearly said hes gonna rule that world... what show or in history has taking over the world EVER been nice happy and civil... gtfo
Aug 28, 2018 7:49 PM
Jul 2015
Starhammer said:
jupitelthunder said:

For starters,it was a game,so dying wasn't a problem,but now its not a game,and dying is real,so he has to be serious,otherwise he might die from one stupid,small mistake,and he knows that all to well with what happened to Shalltear.As far as he knew,one of them might have had an art or skill that might've been able to seriously damage him or one of his comrades,so he had to deal with them as he did.
For seconds,as I see it,he didn't get mad until they insulted the other Supreme Beings by trying to lie to him about them.In the end though,it doesn't matter,they still died.
And as for the others that didn't die in the arena,he didn't kill them,they were killed by the defences that Albedo put in place,just pointing that out.
And I still love Necromias pleaides banner,its so bloody cute!!

Yes, it was a game, and you are the one who said it's reasonable to kill intruders in the current world because the same would happen in the game.

They didn't insult his friends, they simply tried to lie about things they didn't know. Ainz being smart should know that this was just people doing their best to survive and shouldn't be offended by it, but apparently I just expected too much from him.

And yes, I can understand the others getting killed, it's easier to kill people when they are just random intruders you didn't have a 1 on 1 talk with. But that's not what happened in the arena, in the arena he learned enough about the party to realize they weren't just selfish greedy people and yet he still decided to be cruel.
Aug 28, 2018 8:00 PM
Jul 2015
Chaosta said:
jupitelthunder said:

LMAO wtf have you been watching.. Never was it implied that ainz was a good guy.. He has said SEVERAL times that he doesnt kill needlessly but that doesnt mean he wont kill.. He said SEVERAL times that people have to benefit him to survive.. Idk what kind of fantasy world you were living in when you began this show but clearly you didnt pay attention.. Episode 1 of season 1 he clearly said hes gonna rule that world... what show or in history has taking over the world EVER been nice happy and civil... gtfo

What show have YOU been watching? A lot of the show humor is about the Nazarick NPCs expecting Ainz to be some super evil overlord (because that's how they were created) while in reality he's just a normal guy struggling to play the part. Literally just load the first episode and you'll see a bunch of this, or, hell, any of his conversations with Demiurge, so that's why I expect him to not be pure evil, because, well, up until this point he wasn't.
Aug 28, 2018 8:01 PM

Aug 2013
fucking brutal bro
Don't believe the hype.
Aug 28, 2018 8:06 PM
Aug 2018
This episode in particular has me pretty worried for the series. Until
this arc, Ainz has been likeable, with a relatable moral agenda and a
relatable goal. He has approached the problem of figuring out his world
in a very direct, selfish way because that's what most of us would do in
similar situations.

Now he seems like a spoiled, overpowered child, enjoying cruelly
plucking the legs from insects because he dislikes them. I get that its
supposed to be grim. I love the Warhammer fantasy and Warhammer 40k
settings, the works of Lovecraft, and the original Berserk, so I'm not
complaining about not having everyone be happy and sing songs.

When you have a character like Ainz, who has been able to see the value
in people before (Nphi, Carne village, the Lizard folk, the Blue Rose,
the Eight Fingers syndicate and the people of E-Rantel in general)
suddenly kill a bunch of people that could have been manipulated,
coerced, or forced to serve a purpose for his greater scheming, it
doesn't feel grim, it feels kind of cheap. Like the show is deliberately
trying to get a rise out of us because... reasons. Oooo look the cute
girl got dismembered, aren't you sad? What was the point of devoting 2
whole episodes in a 13 episode season to developing these characters? It doesn't
seem important enough to waste that much of the season on, unless the LN spends this much time on it for some reason.

Clementine and the first group of adventurers are a great example of how
to keep the grim setting without sending out conflicting messages about
the main character or slowing things down to make us think something is
important. Internal consistency is key to characterizing the cast.

I feel like whoever decided that this was an ok direction for the story actually forgot that Ainz was supposed to be an intelligent person. A schemer, moving carefully because he doesn't fully understand this world. So he just throws away a company's worth of new pawns because "Oh you invaded my house that I told you to come and invade?" It's lazy writing.

I'm not dropping the series, hopefully this is just a small hiccup in the writing/anime direction and we'll get back to smart Ainz soon.
DarkrunnAug 28, 2018 8:15 PM
Aug 28, 2018 8:19 PM

Nov 2013
Darklight0303 said:
CHC said:

In the eyes of humans Lizardmen are monsters. And they go through everything you described. SO now by your twisted logic you're going to say the Lizardmen are clearly human? Your desperation to enforce human morality on Ainz is a cosmic joke

Don't know what is so twisted about his logic. For once, he said "humanlike" not "human". And for another, the Lizardmen are clearly just as intelligent as humans and have the same emotions humans do. From what we have seen back in season two their society isn't even that different from a human one. So why is it so wrong to use the same adjectives we use to describe the mentality and character of humans for them?
Aug 28, 2018 8:22 PM

Apr 2008
Darkrunn said:
similar situations.

whole episodes in a 13 episode season to developing these characters? It doesn't
seem important enough to waste that much of the season on, unless the LN spends this much time on it for some reason.

I feel like whoever decided that this was an ok direction for the story actually forgot that Ainz was supposed to be an intelligent person. A schemer, moving carefully because he doesn't fully understand this world. So he just throws away a company's worth of new pawns because "Oh you invaded my house that I told you to come and invade?" It's lazy writing.

I'm not dropping the series, hopefully this is just a small hiccup in the writing/anime direction and we'll get back to smart Ainz soon.

Foresight had nothing of worth to offer to Ainz that he already didn't have. Not even ARche's skill was anything special considering it got blocked by his ring. Instead killing all of them has helped maintain some of the inhabitants of Nazarick who actively require humans for their needs be it food or nesting grounds.

Letting them go back out in the wild after being inside of Nazarick posed an INSANE amount of security risk. So no eliminating all of them is the right choice. You were just swayed by a pathetic sob story that made you forget all of these people are lawless mercenaries who passed up on the safe regulated job of Adventurers for the risk heavy high paying job of Workers
Aug 28, 2018 8:26 PM
Feb 2017
Weird to see how people still saw Ainz as a good guy after he had his underlings massacre and enslave a village of sentient Lizards and approved + took part in a plan to create a demonic disturbance as cover to rob the Kingdom's warehouses and **abduct and murder ten thousand of its citizens**, as well as taking control of its underworld.
Aug 28, 2018 8:26 PM

Apr 2008
JGChaves said:
Darklight0303 said:

In the eyes of humans Lizardmen are monsters. And they go through everything you described. SO now by your twisted logic you're going to say the Lizardmen are clearly human? Your desperation to enforce human morality on Ainz is a cosmic joke

Don't know what is so twisted about his logic. For once, he said "humanlike" not "human". And for another, the Lizardmen are clearly just as intelligent as humans and have the same emotions humans do. From what we have seen back in season two their society isn't even that different from a human one. So why is it so wrong to use the same adjectives we use to describe the mentality and character of humans for them?

Oh yes the goblins and ogres during Carne Village? You glorify humanity and seek to label everything with its greatness far far too much.

Humanity is also what let Arche's parents into their current situation and later down the line into selling Arche's sisters off into slavery.
Aug 28, 2018 8:36 PM
Aug 2018
Darklight0303 said:
Darkrunn said:
similar situations.

Foresight had nothing of worth to offer to Ainz that he already didn't have. Not even ARche's skill was anything special considering it got blocked by his ring. Instead killing all of them has helped maintain some of the inhabitants of Nazarick who actively require humans for their needs be it food or nesting grounds.

Letting them go back out in the wild after being inside of Nazarick posed an INSANE amount of security risk. So no eliminating all of them is the right choice. You were just swayed by a pathetic sob story that made you forget all of these people are lawless mercenaries who passed up on the safe regulated job of Adventurers for the risk heavy high paying job of Workers

But wouldn't an entire company of tomb robbers be immensely useful to a guy who rp'd as undead with a bunch of other people who rp'd as undead? If his goal is to find his lost friends, or just to find out if anything can challenge him, wouldn't they be ideal pawns?

Considering the levels of sadism Nazarick is capable of (meaning they'd be too terrified to do anything, a la Eight Fingers), not to mention the huge number of minions who could keep tabs on these folks, it seems like it's an oversight on the writer's part, so Ainz has to do more things himself. Which is the opposite of what an Overlord is supposed to do.
DarkrunnAug 28, 2018 8:39 PM
Aug 28, 2018 8:39 PM
May 2014
This episode is all I expected from an anime called Overlord. This was perfect. Finally we se an evil spooky skeleton in action.

I still feel bad for the team, but that post credits scene gave me goosebumps. I can't wait for the next episode!

Now I wish that we had a fourth season confirmed already :c
Aug 28, 2018 8:39 PM

Apr 2008
Darkrunn said:
Darklight0303 said:

But wouldn't an entire company of tomb robbers be immensely useful to a guy who rp'd as undead with a bunch of other people who rp'd as undead? If his goal is to find his lost friends, or just to find out if anything can challenge him, wouldn't they be ideal pawns?

Considering the levels of sadism Nazarick is capable of, not to mention the huge number of minions who could keep tabs on these folks, it seems like it's an oversight on the writer's part, so Ainz has to do more things himself. Which is the opposite of what an Overlord is supposed to do.

No it wouldn't. Since he is not interested in people who only care about money. Later down the line he'll find much better avenues for that particular angle.
Aug 28, 2018 8:53 PM

Aug 2013
Terkhev said:
Starck_Eole said:

What was his end in the WN ?

Afaik:

Aug 28, 2018 9:00 PM

Jun 2012
I was hoping that team would become valauble characters.. They all seemed interesting, but yeah this was a good episode. The preview for the next episode at the end LMAO.

I love how broken Ains is, but can anyone tell me how much is left of this series overall? What's left after this season? I was actually hoping we'd get to see more about the supreme beings and more Nazarick characters development... There's at least more content for 1 more season right??

Despite me enjoying this series all the way through... I really hope we get more development on the Supreme Beings..

Okay, I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't get another season to at least close things up.
SasoraAug 28, 2018 9:03 PM
Aug 28, 2018 9:02 PM

Aug 2013
Well, looks like they went with the LN ending for Arche instead of the WN. Was pretty brutal and apathetic.

Man, the more these seasons go on, the less I keep rooting for Ainz and Nazarick. It was one thing when he first got there and was trying to establish a foothold and that basically coincided with him killing a bunch of trash and bad guys, which originally left the impression of "yea, well he wants to rule the world but at least hes cleaning up the scum along the way".

But then as the seasons have gone by here that's fallen to the wayside a bit and now he's essentially going after innocent people. I mean really the last one to do any good was Sebas. Last season Ainz slaughtered the lizard people, had Demiurge set up a human farm, and had 10 thousand civilians kidnapped. And now we're in season 3 where he's brutally murdering a bunch of petty adventurers and waging war against a kingdom.

I've always found it odd that Ainz still has his human conscious inside himself, but he only ever really uses it whenever he has inner monologues about how to deal with his companions being rowdy or some useless shit. He's like "Ahh jeez, how am I supposed to deal with Albedo, I'm just a silly NEET". But when it comes to making actual important and rational decisions regarding Nazarick, his "moral" human monologue is never present, he just does everything with the mindset of an undead without hesitating.
Aug 28, 2018 9:04 PM
Jun 2017
those thieves sure are repenting for what they have done, at the first place trespassing on Nazaricks tomb is the greatest sin they can have and sad for them they all have been murdered!!! hahaha...

no one shall mess with Lord Ains... hahaha
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 2 Discussion

ichii_1 - Aug 8, 2018

42 by VickRune »»
Mar 3, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2018

267 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2018

220 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 9:16 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2018

177 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Overlord III Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2018

166 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 12, 8:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.