Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2018 7:50 PM

Apr 2008
Shirasho said:
Darklight0303 said:
I see the anime only's still fill this thread with their inane whinging and ignorance. How surprising. Not

No shit, Sherlock. This is for the ANIME version of Overlord. Talk about ignorance. Of course we wouldn't know anything about the manga. Piss off to the manga section.

Nope because you could see plenty that the world of Overlord was the star and the focus was on what Ainz's effect on it was even in season 1. Try harder though.
Mar 6, 2018 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
Darklight0303 said:
Shirasho said:

No shit, Sherlock. This is for the ANIME version of Overlord. Talk about ignorance. Of course we wouldn't know anything about the manga. Piss off to the manga section.

Nope because you could see plenty that the world of Overlord was the star and the focus was on what Ainz's effect on it was even in season 1. Try harder though.

This "see plenty" you speak of is likely because you read the manga and have a difficult time separating the knowledge you have from the manga with what was presented in the show. Go take your bias elsewhere. If you have something to contribute about the series itself then feel free to do so. If all you are going to do is bash the anime viewers because we haven't read the manga then get the fuck out of here.
Mar 6, 2018 8:10 PM

Apr 2008
Shirasho said:
Darklight0303 said:

This "see plenty" you speak of is likely because you read the manga and have a difficult time separating the knowledge you have from the manga with what was presented in the show. Go take your bias elsewhere. If you have something to contribute about the series itself then feel free to do so. If all you are going to do is bash the anime viewers because we haven't read the manga then get the fuck out of here.

The fact that you keep spouting the manga to be the source is what makes your protests so utterly laughable since it shows how ignorant you really are about the basic aspects of this series.

The moment the focus shifted to Shaltear back in season one you could tell that the focus would NEVER be completely on AINZ just roflstomping everything. But then I guess that's too subtle for the likes of you.
Mar 6, 2018 8:51 PM

Apr 2017
So hilarious to read anime only watchers triggered comments. Not as hilarious as the comments of people that finished the first season and dived into the novels to meet the Lizardmen arc but pretty hilarious nonetheless.
TaselMar 6, 2018 9:03 PM
cunnysseur
Mar 6, 2018 8:55 PM

Dec 2015
dantex11 said:
then you don’t deserve to be a fan of overlord. just like many people, you all have the wrong impression on overlord due to season 1 since it had more focus on ainz stomping on everyone. Overlord is NOT about that. why can’t you mindless action-obsessed people who only care about one sided massacre from op MCs understand the concept of world building? jesus christ the anime-only fans of the overlord community is fucking cancer
So it's suddenly my fault that the show decided to completely change its theme and focus in its second season huh? Not the studio or the author? Funny.
And way to miss the point of my post, calling me action-obsessed, when the thing I want the most is for the characters I love to appear more, instead of uninteresting fucking clowns like lizards and Climb. So fuck you and your biased, cancer LN fanbase that likes to act all high and mighty and insult anyone that says anything negative. I'm done being polite with you guys.

@Jokuc That's my point, I'm here for the Nazarick characters, Shalltear, Cocytus, Albedo, the Maids, Sebas, all of them, not just Ainz or OP action scenes. But they've been completely thrown aside in their own anime.

@VW_guy Look around a bit in the episode discussions, I'm not the only one that is disappointed. I just like expressing my opinion every week.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 6, 2018 9:06 PM

Apr 2016
Shirasho said:
dantex11 said:

then you don’t deserve to be a fan of overlord. just like many people, you all have the wrong impression on overlord due to season 1 since it had more focus on ainz stomping on everyone. Overlord is NOT about that. why can’t you mindless action-obsessed people who only care about one sided massacre from op MCs understand the concept of world building? jesus christ the anime-only fans of the overlord community is fucking cancer

Says the guy saying people don't deserve to be a fan of something.

Im sure others have quoted and answered you as well. I'll echo the same thing. If they didn't want us thinking it was an action series they should have not made season 1 an action series. It is not the fans fault that we were delivered an action series in season 1. That is the producer's fault for making a shitty adaptation that does not reflect what the actual tone of the series is or what the series is really about. Worse, it could be the original writer's fault for not being consistent and changing their story mid-way because they thought what they were writing was trite.

You are also slinging around a very ugly accusation that all these people want are action-filled series. That is not true. We want something meaningful. Think of it this way. Action is like a fine steak. World-building is the sauce. I don't want watered-down piss sauce all over my steak. I'd rather just have the steak with no sauce.

But sure, blame it on the people, because, you know, they have full control over the content they receive.

Just because you don't like the storyline, it doesn't mean you have the right to blame the producer or the author.

"I don't want watered-down piss sauce all over my steak." and yet here you are... still eating that steak until now, up to 9 serving. I bet you will eat the very same steak AGAIN next week and complain how bad this "watered-down sauce steak" is.

ProTip : You don't have to force yourself to eat it.
Mar 6, 2018 9:07 PM

Dec 2014
The Six Arms look so lame and cartoony. The Undead King looks laughable lmao. I know they're pretty much fodder to Nazarick but what happened?
Mar 6, 2018 9:28 PM

Sep 2011
joe_g7 said:
I'm done being polite with you guys.

@Jokuc That's my point, I'm here for the Nazarick characters, Shalltear, Cocytus, Albedo, the Maids, Sebas, all of them, not just Ainz or OP action scenes. But they've been completely thrown aside in their own anime.

@VW_guy Look around a bit in the episode discussions, I'm not the only one that is disappointed. I just like expressing my opinion every week.

Good plan. I've learned that the Overlord manga readers in these forums are dumb as bricks and are not open to the possibility that the anime and manga are two completely separate pieces of media despite being about the same thing. They let their manga knowledge bleed into their minds and fool themselves into believing that anime viewers would have the same information.
Mar 6, 2018 9:50 PM
Apr 2016
JanitraE said:
That transition to the ending sequence is just ... amazing *o*

I also found it very well done. I believe I even got goosebumps.
Re:formed
Mar 6, 2018 9:58 PM

Mar 2017
Shirasho said:

Good plan. I've learned that the Overlord manga readers in these forums are dumb as bricks and are not open to the possibility that the anime and manga are two completely separate pieces of media despite being about the same thing. They let their manga knowledge bleed into their minds and fool themselves into believing that anime viewers would have the same information.

You have too big an opening.

The original source is a web novel. The definitive source is a light novel. Sloppy guys. Sloppy. Replace manga readers with light novel readers.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 6, 2018 10:00 PM
Apr 2016
Darklight0303 said:
Shirasho said:

The fact that you keep spouting the manga to be the source is what makes your protests so utterly laughable since it shows how ignorant you really are about the basic aspects of this series.

The moment the focus shifted to Shaltear back in season one you could tell that the focus would NEVER be completely on AINZ just roflstomping everything. But then I guess that's too subtle for the likes of you.

That is what makes me bewildered - does this mass calling the series shift to complexity "a failure","not mine Overlord", just want to see a: Transitioned from the "real world" player who paid his way up (~unfair) to use his power over a guild abandoned by everyone but that fool, to dominate the masses of world NPC and steamroll any enemy that would be considered a "nuisance" to Nazarick? What is that misguided, senseless desire to see one sided violence and conflict? And pretend that there is only one main character in a complex world? People I have described, in my book, are one step from mental illness.
Re:formed
Mar 6, 2018 10:32 PM

Feb 2018
dantex11 said:
TheInspiredConj said:
Did Renner just turn into a yandere???

Also, I wanna catch up in advance... which volume and chapter of the novel was this episode adapted from???

PLease give me details.... :)

this concludes volume 5. Start from volume 6. or wait maybe there was an epilogue chapter of volume 5. start from there

and it was pretty obvious that renner was crazy from
that start cuz of the ED. that transition from last scene from this episode to ED was amazing tho

thank you very much
Mar 6, 2018 10:48 PM

Dec 2010
Kritoveris said:
dammit,i didn't know next episode is the beginning of volume 6,but 4 episodes still too short for that volume

Maybe is a good sign, they will make season 3 to continue the serie or another movie. More Overlord is always a good thing, expecially next volumes, for what i read, they are very good.
Cross fingers for more seasons, and remember to support Overlord as much as you can.
Mar 6, 2018 11:10 PM
Mar 2018
I'm not particularly happy with how they have brought the light novel to the screen. Frankly, Sebas was much cooler in my mind than what they show here: The way that he removed the door, or the way he was taking out people in the mansion could have been shown in a much cooler way. Instead, they used the most boring shots possible with the exception of crushing that asshole in the room.

The way that they show the fights, both in this episode and the last are missing tension. Climb's fights should have been more tense as he's much more a regular human being. Even when there is an overwhelming difference in power, there should be more tension and fear as we see people confronted with a monstrous power. They failed to show this, just showing Sebas's eyes glowing for a moment when making his entrance.

Finally, why end on Renner's face as a cliffhanger, when it would have been better to end with Sebas at the door? I feel like the anime writers/producers really took a poor approach to this whole adaptation, perhaps out of indifference or incompetence.
Mar 6, 2018 11:23 PM

Jul 2014
I actually liked Climb better in this episode and yandere Renner...it was already spoiled with the ending but I want to know more about that other side of her. One episode per week is not enough D:
Mar 7, 2018 12:00 AM
Jul 2017
Kytee said:
dantex14 said:

First off, its not the audience's fault that the show and the author do a poor fucking job of keeping the same theme/perspective/genre. If a movie started the first 1/4 of the movie as an action movie then switched to a drama movie the rest of the way through, would you not have the same thoughts?

World building doesn't matter at all if you don't have enough time to flesh out anything of worth. Yeah it'd be worth fleshing out all the lizardmen and Climb and Brain if there were 80 episodes a season, but when they are moving through content 1 chapter per 4 episodes, shits gonna get left out for sure.

All in all, it doesn't have to be all about Ainz, but don't waste your time fleshing out shit characters and loose threads in your story.
sure it's not as if these characters will be doing anything important in the future,they're just gonna be some background characters right?
Mar 7, 2018 12:22 AM

Oct 2010
This week on talklord II: generic thug beating, free ego boosters and feel good sentiments.

Wait this isn't the forum for one of those seasonal ishitkai rehashes is it?
Mar 7, 2018 12:29 AM
Jan 2016
I felt Overlord's strength was Ainz's internal struggle in trying to be cautious/normal while living up to his servants' expectations, so I would have liked to see more focus on Cocytus and Sebas' (particularly Sebas, since Touch Me's influence on him also affected Ainz) internal struggles in trying to be true to their personality settings while living up to what they think Ainz's expectations are.

I can understand why people aren't too happy with the direction this season has taken, but the saltiness is just undeserved.
Mar 7, 2018 12:33 AM
Oct 2015
Does that princess have an identity disorder or something, those Yandere eyes and simile can somewhat be disturbing
Heckle was here...
Mar 7, 2018 1:10 AM

Jan 2016
Kay, finally this going interesting.
Mar 7, 2018 1:18 AM

Oct 2008
All I can say is The Six Arms are messing with the wrong group and that is Lord Sebas!
Lord Sebas is so awesome delivering judgement to that fatso scum!
Climb did great on the fight between Succulent even-though it was a bit a struggle but Brain Unglaus was badass using One Strike!
Princess Renner is now showing her true colors!
5/5.

Mar 7, 2018 1:23 AM

Mar 2014
dantex11 said:
StasaTank said:
it’s not the author’s fucking fault either you idiot. The overlord novel was never meant to be adaptable in the first place since so much details are put into them so it’s unavoidable that the anime adaption will butchered with lots of details left out. and it ain’t the studio’s fucking fault either so don’t be assuming things. ever heard of budgets? we all should be glad madhouse even did a season 2 for overlord. ungrateful fucks who complain about this current season is gonna be the reason why we won’t recieve a season 3. but it’s not like most people on this site are actually even using a legal streaming site anyway to watch overlord

That's why I think we won't see anime adaptation of Re:Monster or the other one with the Slime! sadly :/

thank god we’re getting an adaptation of tate no yuusha hopefully around this year[/quote]

Its funny u mentioned the slime one as it just got announced as a anime coming Fall 2018 LOL
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Mar 7, 2018 1:29 AM

Mar 2014
All OL 2 has done in these discussions is bring out more toxicity and triggered fans LOL

I think this is due to the high expectations from Season 1
and lack of Ains, its a poor tragedy.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Mar 7, 2018 2:05 AM
Dec 2016
joe_g7 said:
And here I was, actually enjoying the last few episodes, thinking that slowly the anime was going back to focus on the characters that people actually care about, yet here comes this episode. Overlord II is a joke. Very disappointed.

after this episode thought, the fun is about to start
Mar 7, 2018 2:11 AM
Dec 2016
skreddy said:
The problem for me is that there are too many characters and too many stories, but only 13 episodes a season... So, most of the characters are not growing on me.

Also, if the side characters like guardians of nazarick get side stories like these, then, looks like overlord is really long. i mean, 41 guardians is literally 15 seasons atleast.. and i will forget about the shalltear and her punishment by then.

and I really don't see overlord getting 15 seasons.. and all that character development would be just a waste of time for me.

what?! 41 guardians?! the 41 is the supreme beings
Mar 7, 2018 2:16 AM
Dec 2016
zodd0 said:
I haven't seen this episode yet, but based on what people are saying I'm dropping the show. It has already bored me like crazy.

well too bad, the next episode is where the fun about to begin, well it;s okay if you want to drop it now
Mar 7, 2018 2:18 AM
May 2016
Birdman08 said:
skreddy said:
The problem for me is that there are too many characters and too many stories, but only 13 episodes a season... So, most of the characters are not growing on me.

Also, if the side characters like guardians of nazarick get side stories like these, then, looks like overlord is really long. i mean, 41 guardians is literally 15 seasons atleast.. and i will forget about the shalltear and her punishment by then.

and I really don't see overlord getting 15 seasons.. and all that character development would be just a waste of time for me.

yup

1st~3rd Floor: Grave Floor Guardian: Shalltear Bloodfallen

4th Floor: Underground Lake Floor Guardian: Gargantua

5th Floor: Glacier Floor Guardian: Cocytus

6th Floor: Jungle Floor Guardian: Aura Bella Fiora and Mare Bello Fiore

7th Floor: Lava Floor Guardian: Demiurge

8th Floor: Wilderness Floor Guardian: Victim

9th Floor: Royal Suite no Guardian

10th Floor: Throne Floor Guardian: Albedo

Treasury Area Guardian: Pandora's Actor

Mar 7, 2018 2:23 AM
Dec 2016
Shirasho said:
Darklight0303 said:
I see the anime only's still fill this thread with their inane whinging and ignorance. How surprising. Not

it's LN not the manga though, you need some research
Mar 7, 2018 2:26 AM
Dec 2016
Shirasho said:
joe_g7 said:
I'm done being polite with you guys.

just from reading your comments, i just cannot take you seriously XD
Mar 7, 2018 2:28 AM
Dec 2016
398288 said:
Kytee said:

First off, its not the audience's fault that the show and the author do a poor fucking job of keeping the same theme/perspective/genre. If a movie started the first 1/4 of the movie as an action movie then switched to a drama movie the rest of the way through, would you not have the same thoughts?

World building doesn't matter at all if you don't have enough time to flesh out anything of worth. Yeah it'd be worth fleshing out all the lizardmen and Climb and Brain if there were 80 episodes a season, but when they are moving through content 1 chapter per 4 episodes, shits gonna get left out for sure.

All in all, it doesn't have to be all about Ainz, but don't waste your time fleshing out shit characters and loose threads in your story.
sure it's not as if these characters will be doing anything important in the future,they're just gonna be some background characters right?

hmm not really, you'll gonna know if you try to read it
Mar 7, 2018 2:30 AM
Dec 2016
Tamikus said:
Birdman08 said:

yup

1st~3rd Floor: Grave Floor Guardian: Shalltear Bloodfallen

4th Floor: Underground Lake Floor Guardian: Gargantua

5th Floor: Glacier Floor Guardian: Cocytus

6th Floor: Jungle Floor Guardian: Aura Bella Fiora and Mare Bello Fiore

7th Floor: Lava Floor Guardian: Demiurge

8th Floor: Wilderness Floor Guardian: Victim

9th Floor: Royal Suite no Guardian

10th Floor: Throne Floor Guardian: Albedo

Treasury Area Guardian: Pandora's Actor

thank you ma bro, i'm too lazy to write all of them lol
Mar 7, 2018 2:56 AM

May 2009
StasaTank said:
That's why I think we won't see anime adaptation of Re:Monster or the other one with the Slime! sadly :/

You meant this one?
Mar 7, 2018 3:00 AM

Mar 2017
Birdman08 said:
398288 said:

hmm not really, you'll gonna know if you try to read it

You don't read sarcasms, do you?
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 7, 2018 3:15 AM

Jun 2010
Again, I expected to see more of Sebas this episode... but instead we are treated to more of Climb and Brian. Why do you do this to me Overlord II? :(

Are we ever going to see Sebas kicking ass more than 1 frame of animation?

Mar 7, 2018 3:43 AM

Feb 2015
people complaining about not seeing ainz don't have high enough IQ to understand plot and only want mindless action.
Mar 7, 2018 3:44 AM
Feb 2018
JDS_Mirai said:
Again, I expected to see more of Sebas this episode... but instead we are treated to more of Climb and Brian. Why do you do this to me Overlord II? :(

Are we ever going to see Sebas kicking ass more than 1 frame of animation?

yeah pretty soon. In the next volume.
Mar 7, 2018 4:22 AM

Apr 2017
Hakisak said:
people complaining about not seeing ainz don't have high enough IQ to understand plot and only want mindless action.

There's been plenty of mindless action in the season so far. That's why so many are dropping it. You clearly lack self-awareness...
Mar 7, 2018 4:30 AM

Feb 2015
zodd0 said:
Hakisak said:

There's been plenty of mindless action in the season so far. That's why so many are dropping it. You clearly lack self-awareness...

the biggest point about this season is that there is more to overlord then just ainz being ainz and there is a world outside of ainz.
Mar 7, 2018 5:07 AM

Aug 2008
You can't defend everything by calling it world building. I actually enjoyed the latter part of lizzarmen arc when it was mixed with Nazarick but Royal City is plain boring. And it's not because there's no Ainz but because it's just really, really bland. You don't need so many episodes to show that some court members are corrupted or that capital has its dark underbelly (no shit). It's obvious enough. Another problem is Climb. Normally you should root for a character with values but he's so damn annoying I'm just waiting for him to die. Even Unglaus' broken spirit is more interesting than this little dipshit.

In short, it's just dragging on for too long. You don't need to hammer in obvious things. It's not much of a world building when the only difference from the real world is some RPG bullshit that could as well be waved aside as magic.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 7, 2018 5:13 AM

Sep 2014
Watching Sebas slap and kill the fat bastard was really satisfying!
Those guys at the end are in for some real fun ^^
Looking forward to see Sebas talk with Ainz!
Mar 7, 2018 5:36 AM

Jun 2017
I gave this episode a 4/5 rating.
It was good but i wished for a bit more sebas
Overall, as an anime watcher and manga reader of the series (no LN reader)
I can say that I love the anime adaptation. That said i heavily disagree with people saying that the arcs/characters are boring or bad or even that they shouldn't have spent that much time on stuff. I wished they would have put more time on developing characters and world building. The stuff they squeeze now in 13 episodes would've been great for 26 episodes.
And thats coming from someone who was totally caught offguard by season 1, loved it and still love the second season. I love the world and i love good world building. Which I think here is been done well.
Mar 7, 2018 5:56 AM
May 2016
Antanaru said:
You can't defend everything by calling it world building. I actually enjoyed the latter part of lizzarmen arc when it was mixed with Nazarick but Royal City is plain boring. And it's not because there's no Ainz but because it's just really, really bland. You don't need so many episodes to show that some court members are corrupted or that capital has its dark underbelly (no shit). It's obvious enough. Another problem is Climb. Normally you should root for a character with values but he's so damn annoying I'm just waiting for him to die. Even Unglaus' broken spirit is more interesting than this little dipshit.

In short, it's just dragging on for too long. You don't need to hammer in obvious things. It's not much of a world building when the only difference from the real world is some RPG bullshit that could as well be waved aside as magic.

the royal city is really important >.> lets see what happens , Ains wants the kingdom its obvious , thats why Sebas is there to collect information for him , Ains cant just storm head foward and hope for the best , remember what happend to Shaltear , what IF the Kingdom has worlditems too =? and if yes how strong are they , how many do they have , will the other Nations make a move when he Attacks the kingdom an so on >.> This was the Reason for the Lizardmen Arc , he wanted to see if they are already under the rule of another Nation and if yes how strong are they , thats for 2 Reasons Cocytus was not in the first battle , 1 Ains wanted to see if he can win not relying on brute force alone and 2 Have the Lizardmend some dangerous items and are supported by other Nations , This Arc is bulding up how he will conquer the Kingdom and thats why we see so many fricking people frome said Kingdom in that Arc , cuz they will BE Important later on >.>
Mar 7, 2018 6:58 AM

Oct 2017
“You like hitting do you?”
Got chills man. Sebas is best boy, he doesn’t tolerate that rape crap.
Mar 7, 2018 7:26 AM

Apr 2012
Princess Renner X Climb are perfect for each other. One is crazy stupid while the other is just crazy.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Mar 7, 2018 7:54 AM

Aug 2015
Disgusting rape. I loved seeing that fat guy blow up like a balloon. I always doubted the princess. Finally she showed her true face! Looking forward to the next episodes.
Mar 7, 2018 8:36 AM

Mar 2016
le_halfhand_easy said:
I actually disagree with the popular sentiment that Overlord is boring because it's too slow. Overlord is boring because it's too fast to care about anyone or anything unless you are already invested in them from reading the source material or it involves the characters with enough screentime in season 1. You could do a lot with 13 episodes, 4-5 lizard protagonists, and a tribal setting not commonly explored in fiction.

Cream_Soda said:
Where are we at in the light novel?

I checked skythewood. Volume 5, some 2/3 of Chapter 5. If you want to read ahead, I don't recommend the fan translations. The amount of -sama, -kun, fumu, and umu retained will make you want to kill people and shove the concept of dynamic equivalence down their cold corpse so that they'll learn. Sky's work is not too bad though.

animefan8800 said:

Dude, we don't all read the source material. Can you please not? How hard is it to not spoil?

Most LN readers I've met have a full on hate boner for Climb and you just wanted something good for Climb. Get used to it.

on a serious level, idk what's defined as boring, anymore, honestly....I only just listen to my own inner thoughts to determine whether or not a series is still worth being interested in
Mar 7, 2018 9:17 AM
Aug 2017
dylangillian said:
EgregorMason said:
Another shit average 2.5/5 episode, last week this show was a personal 7.5, now a solid 7. Just check the MAL rating, this show had a 8.20 some weeks ago and now is very close to 8.

Fanboys are still claiming world building, character development or go watch shonen if u want action and same shit since episode 1. Do you even realize that this season has 3 more episodes and no great shit has happened yet ?

And still the same issue from like 3 episodes ago, you got the elite badass guardian (sebas) or the shitty cliché weak ass blonde dude (climb). Anime guys decide to give all the screen to the cliché boring dude. Nice way to ruin the season, you cut out the most interesting LN character in this arc and also cut out the good action by showing a poor bastar trying to use a sword.

it actually has 4 more episodes left and as a LN reader i also have to tell you that overlord is about world building. Granted, volume 4 & 5 are probably the weakest in the series (lizards and kingdom part 1). Overlord is not about Ainz, it's about the world he's in. if you can't handle that than stop watching. in any case the next 4 episodes will feature Ainz.

You should re-read my comment. In simple words:

DON'T CUT OUT BEST CHARACTERS FFS if you are going to make a world building 3/4 season. Climb and his fellow human companions are unwatchable, cliché, weak and boring. I don't get the point of cutting p/e sebas and his fellow op guardians just to show climb and his fellow human companions fighting (and some long fights ) like pussies every episode. What a waste of animation.

Mar 7, 2018 10:09 AM

Mar 2016
EgregorMason said:
dylangillian said:

it actually has 4 more episodes left and as a LN reader i also have to tell you that overlord is about world building. Granted, volume 4 & 5 are probably the weakest in the series (lizards and kingdom part 1). Overlord is not about Ainz, it's about the world he's in. if you can't handle that than stop watching. in any case the next 4 episodes will feature Ainz.

DON'T CUT OUT BEST CHARACTERS FFS if you are going to make a world building 3/4 season. Climb and his fellow human companions are unwatchable, cliché, weak and boring. I don't get the point of cutting p/e sebas and his fellow op guardians just to show climb and his fellow human companions fighting (and some long fights ) like pussies every episode. What a waste of animation.

Yea sure, what a waste of support character building xD
Mar 7, 2018 10:42 AM

Jul 2012
EgregorMason said:
dylangillian said:

Well, you want the good stuff the "fanboys" are all talking about everytime (aka actual depth and proper care with the new characters in order for them not to be overshadowed by the "superior" old ones, which pretty much should have been equally well presented in comparison to them overall), go read the damn books and abandon this rushed ass anime adaptation.

But again, shows that are heavy in descriptive lore and character presentation like Overlord are doomed to this sad end.

This is no Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, where they adapt even the whole narration of the books into the thing. Overlord anime throws most of its in the garbage and rely way too much in visual storytelling and ommits too much essential information and proper presentation to actually be any well developed as it could have been given more time. Even the atmosphere of the books is completely changed, especially in the Lizardmen arc, were they managed to ruin any sort of tension the book cleverly created for its own individual thing (that arc is a bit of a "And now for something completely different", and it works very well in there).

And no, 4th and 5th books are not regarded as the weakest in content as people keep saying in here. In fact, the 4th book was one of the better received arcs in the japanese fanbase at least, and I see no general consensus from the western fanbase really. They are however one of the most exposition-heavy books in the whole thing.

Heck, the lore isn't even that deep like most readers make up to be, it's just that it's THAT well executed and presented, highly detailed and characterized, and missing the flow with an annoying character or two, and in some comedic moments that sometimes works and sometimes are just cringy to read (dakimakura Ainz, etc...).

I find many flaws in Overlord as a book series, but they exponentially become worse when the anime pratically ruins even the storytelling of the damn thing and leaves that much information out.

Kinda reminds me of how terrible the Mahouka adaptation was, to the point the main character was basically wish-fulfillment Jesus
, and every single element of the "elaborated technobabble" (which is actually pretty entertaining and interesting to read about, and make a lot of sense in its own rules) became extremely boring to even look at, even when it's complete and utterly rushed.

Much like this anime adaptation, pretty much. They are rushing the shit out of it, but leaving the content boring and feeling even slower than the already slow build up was (which, besides being naturally slow, it has a very nice flow to it that didn't overstood its welcome in any way with the introduction of new elements and plot points).

And yeah, I know there were 2-3 episodes that were fairly well adapted (this one was one of them, surprisingly). But the overall result is just not comparable to the original, doesn't make justice to it in any way.

And before someone comes with the good old "an adaptation doesn't need to be perfect" argument, I wouldn't care if the adaptation was garbage as long as the content is actually any good and enjoyable to watch.

This adaptation isn't terrible, but it's just mediocre in every way.
I could enter in higher details about why that's that, but yeah, I think I wrote enough for now (it's just me, ranting, after not posting in this site in quite a long time now, since this actually bothers me).

I don't think "flashy action-addicted" people on MAL are completely in the wrong either. This is something that could have been way more interesting to watch if only it was properly done well. Ever since volume 3 's adatation from last season, this anime became just dull compared to the original material.

I think marketing it as an epic battle heavy anime in the opening didn't helped much. No wonder people came here thinking "woah, awesome, a battle heavy fantasy series with minor isekai elements serving as a base for the plot" and pretty much being met with tons of world building and character presentation that aren't even good.

But again, this is the anime we got, you want the actually good stuff, go for the books (didn't quite touched the manga, so not sure how good that was, so that's another option).

For me so far, the books have a high 8/10 (there are 2 books I personally give a solid 9 though).

First season a 6/10 since it screwed up the third book.
Don't quite have a veredict for this one just yet, I'm bracing myself to see how the 6th book's adaptation will go (individually, Lizardmen arc gets a 5/10).

Now then, back to my personal exile from the MAL threads.
DanpmssMar 7, 2018 10:57 AM
Mar 7, 2018 11:13 AM

Mar 2011
joe_g7 said:
dantex11 said:
So it's suddenly my fault that the show decided to completely change its theme and focus in its second season huh? Not the studio or the author? Funny.
And way to miss the point of my post, calling me action-obsessed, when the thing I want the most is for the characters I love to appear more, instead of uninteresting fucking clowns like lizards and Climb. So fuck you and your biased, cancer LN fanbase that likes to act all high and mighty and insult anyone that says anything negative. I'm done being polite with you guys.

1 - You are free to dislike the new way Overlord does stuff. That's not the point. However, in every single episode thread you have people warning you guys that the anime will be like this from now on, yet you still complain about the same bs everytime even tho you know exactly how the plot works now. It's like constantly crying in the whole new seasons of Jojo because the Hamon technique was replaced by the Stands..lol. It's pointless because it's not going to change no matter how high your salt levels are or if you like or dislike the change.

2 - What you dislike in this anime is what other people find unique and interesting to watch. Seeing the reaction from other chars to the anomaly called Nazarick and getting to know a little bit about that world's lore by their point of view is what sets Overlord apart from other isekai. If i wanted to see OP chars stomping noobs in every single episode i would watch Mahouka or any other seasonal isekai anime.

3- This season was made especially for the LN readers. According to the author's note in episode 1, this only happened because of their support. I'm no LN reader, but it's rather annoying seeing people complaining about the very essence of the show instead of actually discussing the episode itself. So yeah, maybe that explains why some folks are angry at posts like yours in every single Overlord thread! It's like me complaining about DBSuper powerlevels in all of it's 129 episodes. It's annoying!

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2018

197 by RayousSR »»
Apr 24, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

254 by WienGirl »»
Apr 21, 4:17 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2018

174 by Matheus050 »»
Feb 25, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

354 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 11, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2018

206 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 11, 2:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.