Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 28, 2015 4:22 PM

May 2015
So the Festa's finally here. Ayato and Julis' battle was done so fast, sasuga. Still gotta love Kirin. Those puppets were pretty terrifying though, talk about strong. Great episode.

Nov 28, 2015 5:19 PM

May 2015
nicely done ep, even though ayato-julis battle just too easy and way too fast

ow also allekant's puppets, they're really strong and i hope ayato-julis met them soon
Nov 28, 2015 5:52 PM
Apr 2015
Did not see that coming, puppets as the comic relief of the episode? Either way, it looks like Ayato and Julis will run into them in the semi finals (unless they change and mix up the format). We could see the dream grand final then, with Saya and Kirin on the other side of the bracket.

edit: Also what has happened to the academy names in the subs? Allequint was a typo from last week, but Galahadworth is a new one.
ihavebadopinionsNov 28, 2015 5:56 PM
Nov 28, 2015 6:49 PM

Jan 2015
Pretty good animation this week, actually liked how the first round was fodderized quickly.

Robot's comedy took me by surprise but it worked well. Pretty fast episode imo, but one of the better setups.

Looking forward to next weeks.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Nov 28, 2015 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Finally, it has begun! The Festa "tournament" xD
It seems that the director of the festa created some new rules so that Aloqunt school can cheat....
The girl that was in jail and is now fighting is probably very strong..
Can't wait for the next episode!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 28, 2015 8:12 PM
Aug 2012
TwilightMystery said:
I think that the first page guys shouldn't have attacked the dolls at first. It could have been a scenario where they activated a barrier that only lasts a certain amount of time. So while the page duo wastes time and energy trying to break it by the time the barrier runs out so does their energy. Of course I highly doubt that's how it is, but it could be a slim possibility.

Nope that wouldn't work......after 1 minute the results would have been the same. Even forgetting about Ardi, his hammer and barrier, Rimsi only deflected the bullets with her own. Now imagine her attacking full force from the beginning, it only took her a couple of seconds to defeat her opponent after 1 minute time was up. That 1 minute time was just to demonstrate their superiority.

Seepos said:
How i got the feeling like using those puppets were kinda like cheating? Were that whole festival idea to get to know which school have strongest fighters, and then you put machines to fight.

No it's not technically cheating. There have been special additions to Festa previously to make things more interesting as well (minor exposition that got cut). This time too, to make things more exciting and unpredictable they allowed the Puppets to fight instead of Ernesta and Camilla (well leaving aside the dealings in the shadows anyway).

The actual reason about Festa isn't about finding out the strongest fighter but rather entertainment using the Genestella and their fighting prowess (no battle to the death and that's a good thing). This tournament has tag team fights and the next one has 5-man team battles. The prize is having one of their wish granted as long as it's within the realm of possibility for the Integrated Enterprise and not something heinous.

Also the commentators also talked about how puppet are still controlled externally by humans or they weren't advanced enough to keep up with Genestella. Ardi and Rimsi are new types and much more advanced and that was something not within anyone's expectations.

Nov 28, 2015 8:59 PM

Jun 2014
Seepos said:
How i got the feeling like using those puppets were kinda like cheating? Were that whole festival idea to get to know which school have strongest fighters, and then you put machines to fight.

at least he kept his promise on not moving for a min lol
Nov 28, 2015 10:37 PM

Aug 2013
Good episode, finally the struggles of Festa begin, I was eager to see the quality of adaptation about the battles, but I enjoyed of the fights, Ayato and Julis begun demonstrating superiority, but strong opponents already have been shown, I want to see how this adaptation will continue ..
Nov 28, 2015 10:41 PM

Dec 2014
The female puppet is cuter than when i have imagined her while reading the LNs... :)

Pls don't show Ayato's powering up scene for every episode....

Kirin <3
Nov 28, 2015 10:48 PM

Aug 2013
Have a feeling that vampire girl is just going to be that annoying crazy chick who seems super strong to anybody who doesn't know about her abilities and she gets all cocky and shit and has that attitude that only cares about fighting and bloodlust.

Good to see CR is still spelling Allekant as Arlequint. Oh well, it's not like they're paid to be smart...or good at their job.
Nov 28, 2015 10:56 PM
Aug 2012
Jonesy974 said:
Have a feeling that vampire girl is just going to be that annoying crazy chick who seems super strong to anybody who doesn't know about her abilities and she gets all cocky and shit and has that attitude that only cares about fighting and bloodlust.

Nah man....she has more to her character. She and Dirk were talking about her sister remember?

Jonesy974 said:

Good to see CR is still spelling Allekant as Arlequint. Oh well, it's not like they're paid to be smart...or good at their job.

Garradsworth turned into Galahworth now. Julis's name was shown different in subsequent scenes.....what will CR show us next?

Nov 28, 2015 11:18 PM

Dec 2013
Not bad for the start of the Phoenix. I enjoyed the first fight for Ayato, and loved how they swapped the exposition of their Festa tactics for a conversation (though it sounded weird since it was a convo between themselves... like they were suppose to have already discussed it all way beforehand... would've been better as a flashback convo IMO).
Ardi and Rimsi were great! I loved their Seiyuu voices, I was expecting Ardi to be a bit more comically deadpan but I'll take it. Rimsi's voice and attitude was perfect, just what I expected whilst reading the LN.
Oh and yes Irene's introduction was good as well. We'll see enough of her in the next episode for sure.

And the subbers really should go check up on the LNs. It's not really hard to find the correct names for every character and school. Reading the subs really rubbed me the wrong way.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Nov 28, 2015 11:34 PM
Oct 2015
Jonesy974 said:
I can forgive them for that, but not for the Galahadworth part. After all, unlike the other schools, Garrardworth's name was written on-screen in big latin letters in the first episode.
Nov 29, 2015 12:38 AM

Aug 2013
Ryuutobi said:
Jonesy974 said:
I can forgive them for that, but not for the Galahadworth part. After all, unlike the other schools, Garrardworth's name was written on-screen in big latin letters in the first episode.

Christ, forgot about that one too. Just like last week too they mentioned the Gryps festival and straight up changed it to Gryphon IIRC.

They are literally butchering the shit out of these subs.

It's funny, I'm watching Shinmai Maou too, and every episode has had a shit ton of spelling and grammar errors. Which I'm totally ok with, because I get that they're trying to sub it as fast as possible. And even though they may forget to put a space between words or leave out a letter or something, they always manage to get the terminology right. Like oh, they spelled "battle" as "battel" on accident. Ok, well at least they aren't misspelling names, places, weapons, spells, etc.

CR dropping the fucking ball with this one. And there are so many sources to check from too.

If anything they're actually making their job harder my coming up with some made up fucking word for the translation rather than using the correctly spelled word right from the source material.
Nov 29, 2015 12:47 AM
Apr 2015
Also, the official names are on the Asterisk website.
Nov 29, 2015 2:02 AM

Dec 2013
Jonesy974 said:
CR dropping the fucking ball with this one. And there are so many sources to check from too.

Don't blame CR, it's not their fault. Aniplex is responsible for TL as Asterisk is being simulcasted on both Crunchyroll and Daisuki. The thing is, Aniplex doesn't really care about quality. Daisuki has bad video and terrible font. It doesn't apply to CR, but they can't do anything about TL.
Nov 29, 2015 2:09 AM
May 2015
SchwingBoner said:

Oh yeah, finally the Festas. First fight ended way too quickly. Second one was definitely more interesting.
Looking forward to seeing them fight the puppets.

These puppets talk too much.
Nov 29, 2015 5:00 AM

Sep 2015
god that episode was bad....

funny overpowered robots that are going to be destroyed in two episodes....no thanks

Nov 29, 2015 5:09 AM

Jul 2015
is it just me or do the fighting scenes feel short? is it just strictly following the manga or A-1 saving money? i just want to see claudia ENFIELD fight please
Nov 29, 2015 5:16 AM

Feb 2014
ANA1979 said:
is it just me or do the fighting scenes feel short? is it just strictly following the manga or A-1 saving money? i just want to see claudia ENFIELD fight please

I'm not surprised that the fight scenes are short, considering that the tournament only just started. The later rounds and especially the last 32 should have much longer battles. =D

The puppets have an amusing chemistry together, but Aldy's shield must be ridiculously tough if it can shrug off a powerful twister attack like that.

Kirin was adorable once again, with her receiving a head rub from Ayato. Saya was fortunate enough to get a head rub as well, but her motto though, "Bigger is better.", just screams out MANY sexual innuendoes. My mind must be a little bit perverted today. >_<

Looking forward to the next battles, hopefully involving Saya and Kirin. =D
Nov 29, 2015 5:16 AM

Jun 2015
Those puppets seem interesting, I want to see Yabuki and Claudia fighting. Too bad theyre not taking part. Still prefer Rakudai but glad Gakusen is finally showing its meat.
(So did those guys die then??)
Nov 29, 2015 6:50 AM
Aug 2012
ShadowTheRaven said:
Those puppets seem interesting, I want to see Yabuki and Claudia fighting. Too bad theyre not taking part. Still prefer Rakudai but glad Gakusen is finally showing its meat.
(So did those guys die then??)

No they are unconscious.....remember how they always talk about Genestella being much tough and protected by prana (i.e Siras falling down). This is not a fight to the death.

Nigami_Shin said:
god that episode was bad....

funny overpowered robots that are going to be destroyed in two episodes....no thanks

How i love people acting like they know it all and eating their own words later......

Nov 29, 2015 7:56 AM
Sep 2015
OP puppets vs OP MC
it's a good match
Nov 29, 2015 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
The episode becomes interesting when the Showdown on opponents' moves, before the narrative is a bit redundant showing the same old things, however, the pair Kirin and Saya remains one of the best. Overall the CG and the designs are as good as beauty, but you can do even better. The narrative is usable but there is still so much potential that can be exploited; the two puppets are fun, I would like them to stay as long as possible in the cast.
terrablu2003Nov 29, 2015 8:27 AM
Nov 29, 2015 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
So the rumoured Festa began. Not bad for its first episode. The vampire girl is intriguing. Not interested in the robots.
Nov 30, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2015
Not bad. Ayato seems to have a good plan in mind. But I wonder how long will it last. Not for very long i believe.
Not a fan of the puppets. But i love that they have unique personality. Very intresting. And what the hell is up with that shield it is so damn hard.
Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 30, 2015 10:28 PM

Nov 2011
I actually like the Robots and the side characters more than Ayato and the main cast. :/
Nov 30, 2015 10:39 PM

Jun 2013
Those transparent things they were standing on during the speech are beyond retarded in design. I bet everyone was getting free upskirts of claudia
Dec 1, 2015 9:13 PM

Jul 2012
Those puppets are quite powerful. I wonder if Ayato is going to be the one to take them down.

~Great episode!!!
Dec 2, 2015 1:51 AM

May 2014
If Allekante can create puppets like that shouldn't Saya be able to do so too?
Also, Saya best girl man damn.
Dec 2, 2015 3:55 AM
Aug 2012
KamSung said:
If Allekante can create puppets like that shouldn't Saya be able to do so too?
Also, Saya best girl man damn.

Puppets with AI and Big Guns are different things. Also Saya's father creates the guns for her.

Dec 2, 2015 3:38 PM

Mar 2015
Hmm... Ayato defeats the enemy in seconds that his sword summoning thing is far longer than the battle itself.

Kirin's cute scenes hnghh... Your weekly Kirin dose.

Not too interested in the mecha robot guys. Too OP, but weird guys.

Dec 3, 2015 5:15 AM

Sep 2015
wow I bet this can't get anymore generic than this episode. I already know how the next episode is gonna turnout. Well... FFS I even know how this is going to end... -_-

I'm only watching this because of Kirin. Yet, I'm starting to think maybe it's not worth the time...

It's pure averageness at most...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2015 6:35 AM
Aug 2012
memphis23 said:
wow I bet this can't get anymore generic than this episode. I already know how the next episode is gonna turnout. Well... FFS I even know how this is going to end... -_-

I'm only watching this because of Kirin. Yet, I'm starting to think maybe it's not worth the time...

Can you please enlighten people about how the next episode is going to turn out or how this is going to end? I mean it's easy to say "It's predictable lol" after seeing the episode itself so you really should say something in advance to show off your eliteness or stop making generic shitposts all together.

Dec 3, 2015 4:16 PM

Sep 2015
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
memphis23 said:

Can you please enlighten people about how the next episode is going to turn out or how this is going to end? I mean it's easy to say "It's predictable lol" after seeing the episode itself so you really should say something in advance to show off your eliteness or stop making generic shitposts all together.

Well... First of all, let me just say that I don't find predictability to be something 'genetically' bad. As long as the characters are done right, as long as the story and/or action is done right...even though you kinda predicted what was going to happen, you didn't spoil your own fun.

Second of all, to respond to your question. The predictability in this anime is verified when you reach episode 9 and you realize that nothing substancial has really happened... So unless Gakusen pulls off what I call as a 'School Days', unless all the cast or story does a 360º flip in these last 3 eps remaining... You're just probably going to watch, at least, 2 out of the 3 eps filled with fights almost as boring as the ones in this episode(That's up to your own judgement ofc). Don't fool yourself... You already know who's gonna win. You already know that the end it's gonna turn out inconclusive (Like any other harem with a dense MC) with 0 confessions. Ayato is going to end up as the same OP White Knight shown at the 1st episode. And that's generic and average in my view.

IMO, this show needed some spice in it, some actual development (especially on the MC himself and also his relantionship with all the girls). It needed something REMARKABLE (only Kirin is remarkable for me).

But yeah, perhaps I was a bit harsh calling it "predictable" as I'm not a wizard from Ghana :) No one knows for sure, I would say this anime has a 0.001% possibility of surprising me... Maybe 'guessable' would fit better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2015 11:14 PM
Aug 2012
memphis23 said:

Well... First of all, let me just say that I don't find predictability to be something 'genetically' bad. As long as the characters are done right, as long as the story and/or action is done right...even though you kinda predicted what was going to happen, you didn't spoil your own fun.

Fair enough......this is something i like to follow as. But whether something is done right or not is still subjective.

memphis23 said:

Second of all, to respond to your question. The predictability in this anime is verified when you reach episode 9 and you realize that nothing substancial has really happened... So unless Gakusen pulls off what I call as a 'School Days', unless all the cast or story does a 360º flip in these last 3 eps remaining...

I don't really see how nothing substantial is happening. Gakusen is slow and takes time to build up. But there are already several questions you can indulge yourself with.....

Why did MC's sister sealed him and left?
What happened to her after the opening scene?
Why is Dirk interested or afraid of Servesta?
Why did Madiath take an interest in Ayato?
What is Claudia actually plotting?
Hw will the festa affect the characters?

Other than that, there is politics and other internal conflicts involved that will be shown in due time. Also you might not have noticed but the girls in this show doesn't revolve around the mc only and each has their own motivations. Btw this is a 2 course show so the next 3 episodes will be the end of the first course.

memphis23 said:

You're just probably going to watch, at least, 2 out of the 3 eps filled with fights almost as boring as the ones in this episode(That's up to your own judgement ofc).

If they didn't make it any clear, this is a tournament and it has importance for the characters. I guess the fights are boring for some people because there aren't enough flashy light shows instead of actual strategies involved.

memphis23 said:

Don't fool yourself... You already know who's gonna win. You already know that the end it's gonna turn out inconclusive (Like any other harem with a dense MC) with 0 confessions. Ayato is going to end up as the same OP White Knight shown at the 1st episode. And that's generic and average in my view.

Again it's a 2 course show, the LN is still ongoing and this show is more than a typical contest of "Who ends up with the MC". Also these are team battles and all the characters get to shine. And i don't know what this "OP White Knight" crap is.......stopped caring about buzzwords as they have become overused and poitless.

memphis23 said:

IMO, this show needed some spice in it, some actual development (especially on the MC himself and also his relantionship with all the girls). It needed something REMARKABLE (only Kirin is remarkable for me).

It will have development across the upcoming episodes but if someone discards those as "No progress with my waifu" or "it's not any development in my opinion" then that's their issue. TBH even as a LN reader, Kirin feel overhyped to me. While she is a good character, the hype over big-boobed lolis can get very annoying.

memphis23 said:

But yeah, perhaps I was a bit harsh calling it "predictable" as I'm not a wizard from Ghana :) No one knows for sure, I would say this anime has a 0.001% possibility of surprising me... Maybe 'guessable' would fit better.

I am just of "predictable" posts all the time after the episode ends. Sadly with that kind of mindset, people won't really admit even if the show surprises them and go on with their predictable comments.

Dec 4, 2015 5:49 AM
Oct 2015
memphis23 said:
at least, 2 out of the 3 eps filled with fights almost as boring as the ones in this episode
You're actually right but that's what usually happens in any tournament that employs the seeding system. This is true even in real life. After all, the sole purpose of the system is to avoid an early clash of the front runners. Festa uses the seeding system as well. All front runners are put into different groups. So yes, even in the next episode we'll only see the front runners stomp the small fries in their respective group. And, we already know who the front runner that will make an entry next just from the title in the preview.

But worry not, the one-sided matches happen only in the group preliminary. All the fights in the main event are the evenly-matched ones.
memphis23 said:
You already know who's gonna win.
This is true to all action series though. Saying a series is bad because of that is the same as saying that "All kungfu movies are bad" or "All superhero series are bad" or "James Bond is a bad series".
memphis23 said:
Ayato is going to end up as the same OP White Knight shown at the 1st episode. And that's generic and average in my view.
Except that he is not OP. The main event will show this.
Dec 4, 2015 6:55 PM

Mar 2014
memphis23 said:

Second of all, to respond to your question. The predictability in this anime is verified when you reach episode 9 and you realize that nothing substancial has really happened... So unless Gakusen pulls off what I call as a 'School Days', unless all the cast or story does a 360º flip in these last 3 eps remaining... You're just probably going to watch, at least, 2 out of the 3 eps filled with fights almost as boring as the ones in this episode(That's up to your own judgement ofc). Don't fool yourself... You already know who's gonna win. You already know that the end it's gonna turn out inconclusive (Like any other harem with a dense MC) with 0 confessions. Ayato is going to end up as the same OP White Knight shown at the 1st episode. And that's generic and average in my view.

allow me to preface by just establishing that this is a super wishy-washy and obscure response. (this also applies to most complaints about this show being generic or whatever)
i mean you didnt respond to dragon slayers question, even after saying "to respond to your question". did you realize you literally went off on a red herring and arrived at your original "predictable!!!!!!!!111111" claim through a circular argument? did you not realize that the animes current position is in the preliminary rounds of the tournament? i mean freaking duh theres going to be more fights its a fighting tournament genius. your prediction was just stating the obvious omfg everything you said was so obscure like "oh something i think is boring will happen". what? how about "saya and kirin will face the ais and win". you dont want to commit to any concrete predictions because you acknowledge that asterisk isnt predictable. ayatos not even that op btw he only won against kirin because he practically tricked her. she could beat him any time and reclaim the #1 ranking at seidoukan. isnt that enough to furnish the prospect of maybe them facing each other later on in the tournament and maybe even ayato and juliss defeat
also stop throwing around "generic" and "average" too i feel like everyone speaks at the third grade level on this website because they just regurgitate what other people say. like i get how this show can seem predictable or "guessable" lol but come on, really? at least have a basis because its really obnoxious and inconsiderate to people who actually enjoy asterisk and look beyond its superficial shortcomings. youre just exacerbating the issue of bandwagon because EVERYONE calls this show "generic", to the point that attributing that term to this show is more of a trope than the actual ecchi.
Dec 4, 2015 8:27 PM

Sep 2015
yuiyuigahama said:

allow me to preface by just establishing that this is a super wishy-washy and obscure response. (this also applies to most complaints about this show being generic or whatever)
i mean you didnt respond to dragon slayers question, even after saying "to respond to your question". did you realize you literally went off on a red herring and arrived at your original "predictable!!!!!!!!111111" claim through a circular argument? did you not realize that the animes current position is in the preliminary rounds of the tournament? i mean freaking duh theres going to be more fights its a fighting tournament genius. your prediction was just stating the obvious omfg everything you said was so obscure like "oh something i think is boring will happen". what? how about "saya and kirin will face the ais and win". you dont want to commit to any concrete predictions because you acknowledge that asterisk isnt predictable. ayatos not even that op btw he only won against kirin because he practically tricked her. she could beat him any time and reclaim the #1 ranking at seidoukan. isnt that enough to furnish the prospect of maybe them facing each other later on in the tournament and maybe even ayato and juliss defeat
also stop throwing around "generic" and "average" too i feel like everyone speaks at the third grade level on this website because they just regurgitate what other people say. like i get how this show can seem predictable or "guessable" lol but come on, really? at least have a basis because its really obnoxious and inconsiderate to people who actually enjoy asterisk and look beyond its superficial shortcomings. youre just exacerbating the issue of bandwagon because EVERYONE calls this show "generic", to the point that attributing that term to this show is more of a trope than the actual ecchi.

Since I don't particularly wanna do a whole review on this, I'm going to try saying what I think about this anime as brief as I possibly can.
Let's divide this by parts... PREMISE: high school students compete with eachother, there's a ranking system, some ecchi/harem in it, yatayatayata.... It has been done inumerous times, it's a default premise, standard/average. But has I already said somewhere up the replies ^^^, something that starts off as 'generic' doesn't mean it's bad, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered watching the very 1st ep. Generic, imv, means something vague. So eventually it's all about the paths that the anime chooses to take... Gakusen didn't even took the most critical/important 1st path: developing properly it's fkn Main Characther! And this is REALLY necessary in a action/fighting anime or movies. No one is properly developed. I don't hate this anime but I don't particularly like it, so it's average for me... 5/10

But I'm not going to drag this anymore, maybe I'll right a review on this, maybe not... Just let me say that a good way to try understand what I'm talking about is comparing Rakudai Kishi or even Highschool DxD to this anime. The 'foundations' are almost identical (in the case of Rakudai they are the same) YET those two did a way better job at 'glueing' me to the screen. And btw, I always have my own reasons to dislike or not dislike an anime. Didn't read a single review on this yet... I'm not a sheep broski :)
Dec 4, 2015 10:13 PM

Mar 2014
memphis23 said:

Let's divide this by parts... PREMISE: high school students compete with eachother, there's a ranking system, some ecchi/harem in it, yatayatayata.... It has been done inumerous times, it's a default premise, standard/average. But has I already said somewhere up the replies ^^^, something that starts off as 'generic' doesn't mean it's bad, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered watching the very 1st ep. Generic, imv, means something vague. So eventually it's all about the paths that the anime chooses to take... Gakusen didn't even took the most critical/important 1st path: developing properly it's fkn Main Characther! And this is REALLY necessary in a action/fighting anime or movies. No one is properly developed. I don't hate this anime but I don't particularly like it, so it's average for me... 5/10

But I'm not going to drag this anymore, maybe I'll right a review on this, maybe not... Just let me say that a good way to try understand what I'm talking about is comparing Rakudai Kishi or even Highschool DxD to this anime. The 'foundations' are almost identical (in the case of Rakudai they are the same) YET those two did a way better job at 'glueing' me to the screen. And btw, I always have my own reasons to dislike or not dislike an anime. Didn't read a single review on this yet... I'm not a sheep broski :)

okay i have a really big problem with how you managed to disregard most components of my argument? also no im not fond of comparing shows to each other because it makes no sense. were not talking about rakudai or dxd; were talking about asterisk. this entire time youve been criticizing asterisk but you know theres this crucial fault in your argument: it lacks anything beyond a general statement. please consider what im saying. your claim is that there is no development for ayato. okay so what im saying then is that there is substantial development for him and im not gonna provide any evidence. without any examples from the anime i could literally say anything and insist that its the truth. i am going to provide proof of ayatos character development though. originally his intent in enrolling in seidoukan is ambiguous even to him but after meeting julis he decides that part of his purpose is to be there for her, which entails teaming up for the festa. hes also already really smart and adaptive in combat but constantly learns from people like julis and kirin regarding tactics (building on kirins example from when she destroys the core of the lizard creatures during his battle with the beast in the underground tunnels). its not substantial development because development isnt necessary for a character this is the thing that people dont get. static personality does not constitute a poorly written character. how would you want ayato to change if youre so set on "character development"? everything else youre talking about doesnt pertain to asterisk as an individual series either. youre like "another series glued me in this one didnt" okay so what????? this is infuriating.
additionally you decided to break your response into parts and then provided a single part lol. you stuck with "premise" and didnt factor in animation art or sound. what the heck?
Dec 4, 2015 10:41 PM
Aug 2012
memphis23 said:
Since I don't particularly wanna do a whole review on this, I'm going to try saying what I think about this anime as brief as I possibly can.

Doing a review won't really mean much as it's always subjective. We already have 2-3 shit reviews who have watched only 3-4 episodes. Just goes to show how much credible those are.......

memphis23 said:

Let's divide this by parts... PREMISE: high school students compete with each other, there's a ranking system, some ecchi/harem in it, yatayatayata....It has been done inumerous times, it's a default premise, standard/average.

It's not a problem if it's done well right? The world building and setup in Asterisk has been done well enough and it also gives the characters motivations beyond just getting the MC's attention. Speaking of echhi/harem situations you should realize most of them aren't simply for fan service scenes but adds other information to the story.

memphis23 said:

But has I already said somewhere up the replies ^^^, something that starts off as 'generic' doesn't mean it's bad, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered watching the very 1st ep.

The problem is how much people overuse the word generic as a derogatory term and annoy actual viewers/fans of those series.

memphis23 said:

Gakusen didn't even took the most critical/important 1st path: developing properly it's fkn Main Characther! And this is REALLY necessary in a action/fighting anime or movies. No one is properly developed. I don't hate this anime but I don't particularly like it, so it's average for me... 5/10

Again let me freaking remind you since you didn't bother to read or reply to my earlier post, this is a 2 course show so it has a lot of time. Also this is not a fanservice/harem show filled with PLOT so if you want to see the MC developing into a carnivore and flirting with every female character in sight that's not going to happen.

Why is no one properly developed? Because they aren't perfect and going to get gradual development. Besides Julis, Ayato and Kirin had some developments already (that you missed) and they are going to get more later on.

Not everyone's perception of development is going to be the same so just to be fair, i would like to ask what kind of developments did you want to see actually?

memphis23 said:

Sigh Rakudai again.........and here you lose points for failing to realize they go separate ways after 4 episodes. Besides DxD already has 3 seasons but choice of focusing on PLOT over plot gets annoying especially during the middle of serious fights.

Rakudai focuses more on romantic development between the 2 main and it has a small cast to work with. Most of the side characters/villains that show up won't be playing much part (other the intended time) in the linear and easy to follow story. Romance/fanservice fans are going to like that. Yeah you liked it......great job. Stop trying to make it an example since it's not a very good one.

Asterisk has a larger cast and an overreaching plot. The characters are involved and play a part in that instead of the story revolving around one or two of them. Even the side characters aren't thrown away and gets a good amount of development. Lester didn't vanish into background did he? This type of stories are usually slow and takes time to build-up but whether you like it or not is entirely upto you. But kindly stop throwing around buzzwords and predictable crap that will annoy people.

Btw you know who will win but how they will get to the point or how will things play out, you don't know that. Let's take sports anime as an example, we all know the MC or his team will lose at the end of the first season in their first tournament. They train hard, take their revenge and win in the winter tournament or the next tournament. Does it make the matches any less exciting, does it detract from your enjoyment, does it stop you from watching that show or does it make you evaluate the show poorly? It doesn't does it.......because most people enjoy how the events play out regardless of whether the results are predictable or not.
Dragon_Slayer_XDec 4, 2015 10:47 PM

Dec 4, 2015 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
LMAO, Ayato spent more time taking out his sword than to win the actual fight.

Dec 5, 2015 2:27 AM
Oct 2015
memphis23 said:
Gakusen didn't even took the most critical/important 1st path: developing properly it's fkn Main Characther! And this is REALLY necessary in a action/fighting anime or movies. No one is properly developed. I don't hate this anime but I don't particularly like it, so it's average for me... 5/10
Pffttt!!!

Ayato started off as someone without any goal in life, but after listening to Julis' past & goal he now has his own goal that is to become Julis' strength. If that's not a development, then what is a character development? A power up?!

Kirin started off as a girl who's totally obedient to her uncle. But, she changed after spending a few days with Ayato. She stopped being dependent to her uncle & took her own path to the future. Once again, if that's not a development, what is it that you see as a development?

We've seen that none of the important persons is a one-dimensional character with only one side to his/her personality. Everyone is properly developed as a character.
Dec 5, 2015 8:32 PM

Jul 2008
The puppets will make for a good fight.
Dec 5, 2015 9:23 PM

Jan 2011
Meh, It started off pretty interestin g but I might drop this one. Next weekend's gonna be mighty boring.
Dec 12, 2015 1:23 PM

Dec 2009
Oh my god those 2 robots were hilarious!

Why are people always griping with retarded specific expectations? So what if Ayato isn't well developed? Ayato isn't even really the "main character" he's the fulcrum for all the other actual main characters.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 13, 2015 3:09 PM

Oct 2008
Saya again, being adorable this episode same with the cuteness of Kirin!
Festa now starts and of course weak enemies turns into fodder.
Allekants puppets are to damn OP!
Why are they so freaking scared of the Lux of Ayato???!? is it beyond OP?
5/5.

Dec 14, 2015 4:01 PM

Apr 2012
Those puppets were the best part of the episode. Aldy's VA was perfect.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Dec 17, 2015 6:43 PM

Jan 2013
Need some one punch man up in there.
Alright episode, not much to look forward to
Dec 19, 2015 5:37 PM

Feb 2011
That opening felt like a cliff hanger. I guess they didn't have room to add it to the previous episode. Well, it was probably better this way considering the previous episode's many focus.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

325 by dxviddfr_ »»
Apr 30, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

202 by Dennywibu »»
Apr 26, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.