Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 25, 2014 2:46 PM
Jul 2011
animefan8800 said:
So we just got the last episode, and I was honestly expecting them all to die or at least become crippled husks. Instead...they all get better due to...willpower......yeah.

See, this is one of the dangers when you try too hard to make a show "dark." I have read plenty of comments on various boards about how something like this is automatically "better by being serious or dark." I definitely don't think that's necessarily true. I think it CAN be, but it shouldn't be assumed. So now we come to this ending...and they decide to go for a happy ending. I would have been FINE with this except...they went out of their way over the last several episodes to make sure we knew the situation was hopeless. If a series does this, it better follow through and give the bleak ending. If it doesn't, it better give a damn strong reason why it didn't...and "the power of willpower" was NOT a satisfying explanation. I'm left feeling confused by it all. If this was the planned ending all along why did they go so overboard on the darkness? It makes absolutely no sense, and this conclusion feels very weak. I love the fact that they're all okay because that's what I wanted, but the path we took to get to this point was flawed. I can't give this more than a 7 out of 10. Unfortunate since I thought I'd be grading it higher but...oh well.
this. i wholeheartedly agree.
Dec 25, 2014 2:47 PM

Mar 2014
Zyrusticae said:
Reminder that the whole point of the slice of life + suffering combination was to drive home how important their daily lives were to the point of Togo choosing to die rather than live a life devoid of... well, life.

Also this entire post:
sroque said:
Let's set this straight for all the people who think Yuuki Yuuna's final episode was an asspull.

Okay think about this for a second. When Togo was told the truth by Sonoko, she mentioned that Shinju was the only god to side with the humans against their extermination. Why would you side with someone who is undeniably the underdog and then make it so that their lives are miserable? The answer is that you wouldn’t unless you absolutely needed to. You only do these things if they are necessary for survival, and it was. Why would the Shinju endanger itself against an overwhelmingly powerful enemy and every single other god out there? It must have seen something in the potential of the human race and did what was necessary to bring out that potential. It may have been hard on the heroes, but that’s why they have the aptitude tests. Because a real hero can take this kind of beating and still stand up for what is right. And as proof from previous generations of heroes, Shinju-sama and the Taaisha are always trying to improve the hero system. Before the battle that made Togo lose her memories and legs, Shinju implemented the Mankai and the fairy system from the battle data they gathered from Washii’s team’s fight.

Shinju never meant to keep what it had taken from these girls. It had always held them as collateral for the powers they received for the purpose of gathering the data it needed to preserve it’s own life and the life of the human race. Sonoko didn’t get better til the end because they still needed her power in case of emergency and Togo never got her legs back til the end because they needed her to become a hero with Yuuna again (the hero who showed the highest aptitude of all). Give your body and receive power, have that power taken away and your body returns to you.

It’s simply the concept of equivalent exchange and people don’t see that even though they explicitly explained it in previous episodes. It’s kind of annoying that people see this as an asspull even though it’s blatantly obvious that it’s not. It was even foreshadowed well and kept consistent with the themes of the show. People seem to be just upset that they didn’t get their “grimdark” ending.

And if you read all of this and still think it's bad writing, learn what literary diegesis is and tell me with a straight face that it broke any of it.

These people talk sense. May need a rewatch but I'm pretty sure just about everything was foreshadowed early on to some extent. Once you see that, it ceases to be an asspull and suddenly becomes pretty damn good.

I had a few issues with this episode. Primarily how Togo was reconverted from "I will destroy this world to save everyone" to "I will stop that giant Vertex/sun I just unleashed". It felt too quick, although appropriately nobody could stop her except her best friend. I also think the execution of this episode was a little too whiplash-y in mood, going from the complete abject despair of the last three or four episodes to what was a fairly happy ending to the story. That probably contributed to what people now are seeing as an asspull ending.

That said, I'm glad I stuck with YuYuYu from the beginning. I think it's heavily underrated for what it is and what it tried to accomplish. The weakest part was certainly the beginning, where they didn't really seem to have a direction for the show just yet besides slow-paced SoL with a side of Magical Girl(that may have been all according to plan though). It's definitely worth a watch even if you think it's a Madoka ripoff...because although they're similar, they're also pretty different. I will be downloading this series and adding it to my small collection, possibly rewatch it in bits in the future. The show's strongest point may be the atmosphere it created; from the SoL segments to Togo and Fu's complete and utter despair, the VAs and directors deserve some kudos for making me feel the ominous mood(especially in the middle) and for making me really feel these characters.
Dec 25, 2014 2:54 PM

Apr 2012
YUUNA-CHAN!!!!

Love the final battle. Surprised that even Karin, who was blind and deaf, still joined in the action.You go girl.

Happy ending yay!
Asspull ending, sure. Don't care. After all the crap these girls went through they deserved a happy ending.

Overall enjoyed the series, 8/10
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Dec 25, 2014 3:00 PM

Aug 2013
Paulo27 said:
I know how you feel and feel a bit like that although not to such an extreme level.
Even if the ending sorta of renders their sacrificies "meaningless" it doesn't make them dissapear, they still suffered, someone even died prior to this, it's like there's a disease and doctors are trying to find a cure for it and when they do find it everyone is ok, but it doesn't change the fact they still struggled or that future people might still suffer, it's just ok, for now.
The main problem with the episode was the execution and not really the content, it was painted in a way too positive light, making it look like everything will be ok from now on, but I'm sure that isn't the case, the idea of S2 is still up in the air but if it ever happens I'm sure it'll keep the tone that the other episodes had rather than this one.

Ok this episode was slightly overboard with the positive but still not that much.
My heart broke when I saw Togo suffering and crying. It was pretty sad. Hell a few people here cried (apparently).
And you know how this series works. Everything looks OK but you know, deep down in your heart (due to the foreshadowing), that it isn't OK. There is probably some sad shit happening with the alternative system Shinju is making/has made.
Also if everything was just cause and affect without anything in-between than even our galaxy would be entirely useless. In the end, our galaxy will just disappear.

You are gravely mistaken if you think nothing has happened after all of that. Just because they physically recovered does not mean they mentally recovered or mentally gained anything. The purpose was not defeated in any sense of the word. Shinju has stopped the current sacrifices and hero system (supposedly) and all the characters have gained a lot of trauma and have all become closer to each other. Just because they recovered does not render the experience as useless. This development is shown.
I've never understood this kind of "cause and affect only matter" type mindset. I don't think I ever will. It's like if I told a person who broke their leg so badly that they needed 21 surgeries to fix it "oh well. Look you're better now so the entirety of your suffering, mental trauma and anguish was pointless. Stop making such a pointlessly big deal out of it". I am not exaggerating in the least.

If you claim this episode is bad writing for such a terrible and disturbing reasons as that than... Well try meeting a person who has suffered a terrible disability and has gotten over and persevered over it. It would probably open your eyes to how horrible disability's can be, even when you've gotten over them. Experiences are very haunting.

Anyway there are so many other, more viable, things you could point out in this episode. The huge plot hole of a random and sudden alternative option to protect Shinju in the hero's place, the crazy randomness of having Karin jump in to help the other hero's protect Shinju (seriously... How the hell did she do that?!) and the insanely predictable moment when Yuuna recovered. That sort of stuff doesn't present you as an unsympathetic jerk either.
Saffron_entityDec 25, 2014 3:04 PM
[/url]
Seven-Coloured Puppeteer.
Dec 25, 2014 3:02 PM

Jan 2011
This final episode of Yuuki Yuuna was unbelievably emotional. The final fight was animated really well and the OST was amazing as always. When Itsuki started to say "onee-chan" I couldn't help but smile, like my goodness! xD However, I died inside so hard when I saw that Yuuna was in like a coma. Thank goodness she was able to pull through. I like the scene when they're walking and Yuuna and Togou's positions are reversed. :P That final scene with the play was great.

Overall, loved this anime so much. Definitely the hidden gem this season and needs more recognition.
9/10
Dec 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Mar 2011
They went and broke every rule they established in the series.
0/10 no enough suffering
All these bitches.
Dec 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Apr 2010
Nice ending to a nice anime.
I really liked this anime and the me it's one of the underdogs this season it was one of the anime i really looked forward to every week to watch.
And i really enjoyed it.

I almost think it's a shame it ended but it was a satisfying ending and i have no complaints.
So what more can i ask for.
Dec 25, 2014 3:20 PM

Mar 2014
Takei_Hisa said:
starstorm said:
I hate deux ex machina endings like this.. -.-
There was no foreshadowing that they would get better, so when they randomly get better for no good reason.... ugh.

I mean I suppose it was cause she touched the core of that thing.. But they kept going on about successors so I guess the fight isnt over?? I DONT UNDERSTAND..

6/10.. It had feels but... lol.

The ending where Togo was pushing Yuuna in a weelchair instead of other way around was nice. :)

there was foreshadowing that they would get better. In the one scene where they talked about the offerings. Paulo even posted it
Paulo27 said:

They didn't even need to foreshadow it though, it's pretty obvious what happened.
I'll just quote someone else:
"The girls' disabilities only last until Shinju-sama decides to relieve them, thus stripping them of their faeries/magic power. This obviously renders them completely useless for battle and it's also implied that, despite all disabilities, more faeries gained by going mankai actually make the girls more powerful. This is why Sonoko, being Shinju-sama/Taisha's trump card implied to be totally capable of stopping a rampaging Fuu/Togo thanks to her ridiculous amount of faeries, was never relieved and the Taisha didn't tell the girls about the system's downsides beforehand, as this would probably have kept the girls from levelling up/going mankai at all.
However, since the girls managed to drive the Vertex back and Shinju-sama/Taisha don't expect any more assaults for at least a year or two, they try to learn from their mistakes and abolish this system in favour of a new one which ideally won't make the heroes go insane in the end."

The girls going after the Vertex instead of waiting for them probably played a big role in it, it was also never implied that they'd never get their body parts back, the anime did try it's hardest to make it look that way though, that's why I think the end was a bit too much happiness and should have been a little darker, in the sense that it should have at least tried to show that they didn't recover in a week and actually fought their problems (even fade to black as everyone is in the hospital or whatever would have been perfect) and that the threat is still very much there instead of being something that is just explained in a line or two.
Change a couple actions or a couple phrases and this ending would have a whole nother light to it.
Dec 25, 2014 3:36 PM

Jan 2008
Paulo27 said:
starstorm said:
Why the hell should I have to look up some word and learn it to say if it was bad writing.. It comes down to whether I enjoyed it or not. lol. :P

I felt it was an asspull so it was an asspull.. for me. xD

Why would they want collateral? lol.
That's not how it usually works but hey, to each their own.
Not how what usually works? Lol I am interested in other people's opinions, so don't use vague pronouns when you respond to me.. :c

My point was that it's those opinions that make a show good or bad, not some cookie cutter recipe. xD The recipes come from the opinions not other way around.

If there was foreshadowing of them getting better, it was like.. 1/100 of the amount of foreshadowing in say.. Madoka Magica. xD And some people still thought that ending was deux ex machina.. So it's not really farfetch'd to say this one was too. :P

I mean the only people that said they were going to get better was the Taisha, who were again and again being shown to be untrustworthy, so.. yeah. :/
starstormDec 25, 2014 4:22 PM
Dec 25, 2014 3:38 PM

Mar 2014
Well this ending definitely was an asspull in my eyes but the ride sure was enjoyable. I do think the characters deserve a happy ending but it's too happy and perfect in my eyes.

I give this a 8/10.
Dec 25, 2014 3:41 PM

Oct 2008
My knee-jerk reaction was like many others'. "How could they break their own rules?! Desu ex machina! Rage, rage, rage!"

However, giving it some time and thinking it over, I actually believe that the series and ending is much smarter than what we're giving it credit for. Everything was foreshadowed and makes sense within the context of the universe that they have built.

Yes, it is positive and it does SEEM to deny us our catharsis with regard to allegedly "cheapening" their sacrifices, but did it really cheapen anything? Like us, the girls were not cognizant of the fact that they would ever heal, but they still fought their hardest and effected change. Think about it, the Shinjuu creates weaknesses in the Barrier to let Vertexes in and Tougou was just doing the same on a far larger scale, leading to the destruction of a ton of them. By crippling the Vertexes, they themselves single-handedly ended the cycle of the Shinjuu having to rely on them as safeguards. It's actually a legitimate positive plot twist as opposed to a traditional negative one. Wonder why we don't instantly react to those as well as negative ones...

As mentioned in the posts above and in the show itself, the Mankai is not only a boost in power for a limited time, it's a level-up system where they get more powerful for the remainder of their hero lives. So it's not a case of "but you used the great power already and still got back your sacrifice".

Also, Yuuna did lie to Tougou about not forgetting her. People are right to say that she had no precedence to make that statement. However, thinking about it, that was pretty much the only thing that she could say to calm Togo down.
ActarDec 25, 2014 4:02 PM
Dec 25, 2014 3:48 PM

Feb 2009
Speculation time:

The reason you don't see Yuuki covered in petals with her own faery sitting on her at the end of the battle is because she was not relieved of her Hero duties. She still has her phone and faery and still has the ability to transform, and the reason you see her go dizzy at the end of the play is because a Forestation occurred and she left to go fight and came back fatigued. She recovered entirely of her own force of will.

Or at least, that was a good theory until I realized that they ALWAYS return at the site of a shrine, not where they were last located before being Forestized. Still fun to think about, tho.
Dec 25, 2014 3:57 PM

Mar 2014
starstorm said:
Paulo27 said:
That's not how it usually works but hey, to each their own.
Not how what usually works? Lol I am interested in other people's opinions, so don't use vague pronouns when you respond to me.. :c

My point was that it's those opinions that make a show good or bad, not some cookie cutter recipe. xD The recipes come from the opinions not other way around.

If there was foreshadowing of them getting better, it was like.. 1/100 of the amount of foreshadowing in say.. Madoka Magica. xD I mean the only people that said they were going to get better was the Taisha, who were again and again being shown to be untrustworthy, so.. yeah. :/

Just because you don't see how it happened it doesn't mean it was an asspull.
Dec 25, 2014 4:00 PM

Jan 2014
The happy ending i never would have expected but gratefully accepted!
God lord i thought it was going to end with Yuuki being absent because of her greater offering... so glad to see they all ended up getting better. It was the most glorious and unexpected discovery of the season.

Zyrusticae said:
Speculation time:
The reason you don't see Yuuki covered in petals with her own faery sitting on her at the end of the battle is because she was not relieved of her Hero duties. She still has her phone and faery and still has the ability to transform, and the reason you see her go dizzy at the end of the play is because a Forestation occurred and she left to go fight and came back fatigued. She recovered entirely of her own force of will.

Or at least, that was a good theory until I realized that they ALWAYS return at the site of a shrine, not where they were last located before being Forestized. Still fun to think about, tho.

That was a pretty clever theory, though as you said, they always return at the site of the shrine after a battle. Unless the rules changed after their last final battle (unlikely) that could very well have been the idea behind it. Though i think they just did it to give the audience a last heart attack (worked for me).
CandyFaceDec 25, 2014 4:12 PM
Dec 25, 2014 4:05 PM

Jan 2013
This anime deserves a happy ending! I definitely enjoyed the series
8/10
OSOI!
Dec 25, 2014 4:27 PM

Jan 2008
Paulo27 said:
starstorm said:

If there was foreshadowing of them getting better, it was like.. 1/100 of the amount of foreshadowing in say.. Madoka Magica. xD I mean the only people that said they were going to get better was the Taisha, who were again and again being shown to be untrustworthy, so.. yeah. :/

What's an asspull then?

My understanding is when you have the desired ending, which is seemingly not connected to the rest of the show, and then you just make up whatever to connect the two.

A good show (in my opinion) will have tons of strong connections to everything else throughout the show.

They could easily have replaced the ending with one where they never get better, and it wouldn't have been any more disconsonant with the rest of the show (though I'm sure many fans would be mad). xD I mean look what happened to Sonoko Nogi.. What did they do that's so different from her that they got this better ending??

Apparently the answer is basically just generic willpower (*insert generic friendship speech here*)... Lol. If friendship can solve every problem by itself, then I wish I could move to that world.. xD
starstormDec 25, 2014 4:35 PM
Dec 25, 2014 4:49 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
8/10. A little over-dramatic at the end but overall the series was surprisingly good.
Dec 25, 2014 5:05 PM

Mar 2014
starstorm said:
Paulo27 said:

What's an asspull then?

My understanding is when you have the desired ending, which is seemingly not connected to the rest of the show, and then you just make up whatever to connect the two.

A good show (in my opinion) will have tons of strong connections to everything else throughout the show.

They could easily have replaced the ending with one where they never get better, and it wouldn't have been any more disconsonant with the rest of the show (though I'm sure many fans would be mad). xD I mean look what happened to Sonoko Nogi.. What did they do that's so different from her that they got this better ending??

Apparently the answer is basically just generic willpower (*insert generic friendship speech here*)... Lol. If friendship can solve every problem by itself, then I wish I could move to that world.. xD
That's not what an asspull is though, what you're saying is just a bad ending.
This ending might not have been the best ending ever but it's not an asspull, it makes sense if you think about, it's not the same as "now Shinju decided that it was time to finish the war and removed the Vertex forever and the girls were healed" or that "Yuuna punched the Vertex so hard, time went back to before Vertex existed and someone had a vision that the Vertex would be created and stopped them".
Dec 25, 2014 5:07 PM
Jan 2013
starstorm said:
Paulo27 said:

What's an asspull then?

"An Ass Pull is a moment when the writers pull something out of thin air in a less-than-graceful narrative development, violating the Law of Conservation of Detail by dropping a plot-critical detail in the middle, or near the end of their narrative without Foreshadowing or dropping a Chekhov's Gun earlier on." - TVTropes

I already explained how it was that the heroes got their bodily functions back and it's not an asspull just because you, yourself can't put 2 and 2 together. And willpower/friendship was a factor but not the reason things turned out the way they did. You should consider rewatching this episode, or the rest of the series.
Dec 25, 2014 5:13 PM

Nov 2012
I didn't exactly catch what caused the girls to recover their disabilities unless what Taishi said about researching behind the causes of the disabilities was actually the truth. Or maybe Shinju decided to bless them because god is god.

I'm not overly concerned with the ending. I'm learning on the generous side on giving this anime an 8/10.
Dec 25, 2014 5:15 PM

Oct 2010
I have a mix feeling to this. At some point, I don't like how it ended. The ending is as mentioned by majority here, is an ass pull but the ending itself doesn't feel wrong as well. Not sure how to put this complicated reaction.

Well since that I was expecting a better ending, my original intended rating of 9/10 became a 8/10 for this one.
Dec 25, 2014 5:19 PM

Oct 2008
mlcdl said:
I have a mix feeling to this. At some point, I don't like how it ended. The ending is as mentioned by majority here, is an ass pull but the ending itself doesn't feel wrong as well. Not sure how to put this complicated reaction.

Well since that I was expecting a better ending, my original intended rating of 9/10 became a 8/10 for this one.

Some of the comments above yours will explain why it's a 100% legitimate ending.
Dec 25, 2014 5:37 PM

Nov 2014
Ok, I don't know how to comment on this ending.
At first, I was really disappointed that Togo didn't go accordingly to her original plan and just b'cos of Yunna's words, she flipped over to the other side though it can be foreseen when no one could convince Togo in the last episode except for Yunna who haven't tried.
Then, after reading the comments here... I guess it isn't that bad of an ending since they did get back what they lost(not sure whether Togo got back her memories...And best of all is that Nogi is no longer bedridden!)
Yet, I still feel a little unsatisfied by the overly happy ending...When the show was getting overly dark, then the sudden happy ending get thrown to you... I think it is going to take me a while to get used to...
I guess I will rate it 7/10 for the nice plot over this show but b'cos of the ending that was too happy for my liking(sorry, this is just my opinion...), my initial rating of 8/10 dropped to 7/10(don't hate me for this><)
Dec 25, 2014 5:42 PM

Mar 2014
I get the feeling that some people are disappointed in YuYuYu's ending as presented because they didn't get the qq all girls die grimdark ending that they wanted and expected given the previous three or four episodes. It's a legitimate reaction, but I would like to encourage people to see past it as well.
Dec 25, 2014 5:53 PM

Jul 2014
i expect bad ending. even tho i love this ending i think bad ending suit more. The feels still here but i think episode 11 was better. I'm a bit disappoint but still very good overall. 8.5/10
Dec 25, 2014 6:03 PM

Dec 2014
Good ending but not that satisfying. It would leave a much greater impact if Yuna was comatose forever (Don't hate me please)
Dec 25, 2014 6:05 PM

Dec 2014
My job is done. Takahiro again makes something sells and will be talked about for quite some time, he may not a great writer but sure is a clever businessman.

Merry Christmas~~
Dec 25, 2014 6:11 PM

Oct 2009
Something interesting was written in the bottom right corner of this episode end.
"Yuuki Yuuna's Chapter"

Also at near the end there's a short insert where we can see that Nogi Sonoko is back on her feet, discarding her bandages. There are too much things that is not explained in this series, even those mysteries from the light novel is not resolved at all.

Also, Yuuna seems to activate the hero system in it's mankai state without even using the device. Without any available subtext one can easily called it as an ass pull, but the author seems to be pulling our leg on the obvious, which is why I was thinking there was some materials planned or a possible plot twist. But since this is the last episode, I think either the author was completely trolling 'dark-twisted' plot fetishist, or an overtly ambitious subtext instigator. Given his already tarnished reputation from another work, I'm afraid it was the former.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 25, 2014 6:15 PM

Mar 2014
azzuRe said:
Something interesting was written in the bottom right corner of this episode end.
"Yuuki Yuuna's Chapter"

Also at near the end there's a short insert where we can see that Nogi Sonoko is back on her feet, discarding her bandages. There are too much things that is not explained in this series, even those mysteries from the light novel is not resolved at all.

Also, Yuuna seems to activate the hero system in it's mankai state without even using the device. Without any available subtext one can easily called it as an ass pull, but the author seems to be pulling our leg on the obvious, which is why I was thinking there was some materials planned or a possible plot twist. But since this is the last episode, I think either the author was completely trolling 'dark-twisted' plot fetishist, or an overtly ambitious subtext instigator. Given his already tarnished reputation from another work, I'm afraid it was the former.
Takahiro didn't actually write the last episode, sadly.
Dec 25, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2013
Of course it was gonna be a "happy" ending (bad end makes no sense considering all those previous episodes), but it's rather dissapointing overall. Writers tried to shove too many things in one episode, and even the direction they chose is fairly wrong and unepic. Being an "asspull" isn't necessarily bad, but it's truly below my expectations. It looks like they changed the ending at the last moment for sequels and shits.

My biggest complaints are that Tougo suddenly changes her mind after the fucking "modification punch" and gods "refunds" sacrifices. Well, I really want to remove this episode from my memory and lie to myself that this never happened, but alas. It had potential to be one of the best. What a shame.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 25, 2014 6:25 PM
Jul 2014
I was glad for the happy ending, but how do I put it, it was weaker than expected I guess. For once, I'm glad the power of friendship allowed everyone to walk happily in the end. I came into this show expecting nothing, but it has impressed me. 7/10
Dec 25, 2014 6:26 PM
Jun 2010
asspull episode, might have to reduce rating...

edit: reduced to 1/10
Dec 25, 2014 6:27 PM
Nov 2013
If there isn't a sequel or some sort of follow up then this was just... horrible...

The total dick of a god that didn't give two shits about turning the girls into blind/deaf/dumb/crippled invalids suddenly has a change of heart?

The unstoppable invasion suddenly decides to stop for a while?

None of the girls seem to care that now that they've been taken off duty a new set of girls will be chosen to be sacrifices?

The show was building itself up for a dark, gritty ending and then just slams on the breaks and dives straight back into slice-of-life town happiness. I was expecting some sort of deus ex machina so the only options wouldn't be the destruction of the world or a lifetime of being slowly turned into a bed ridden cripple... but what they tried to pull just goes beyond explanation.

And what the hell happened to the previous hero girl? She set up this entire thing where she was this super backup system with 20+ fairies and she would be put into action if any of the girls went out of control... and when one of them goes out of control... nothing.
Dec 25, 2014 6:34 PM

Jan 2013
Well, I have to say this: This is truly the new Evangelion (TVA). All we needed is that all the casts stand around Yuuna and clapping. Now go make EoE for this.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 25, 2014 6:37 PM

Oct 2012
Such a wonderfull ending
Dec 25, 2014 6:41 PM

Oct 2009
DawnJ said:
Well, I have to say this: This is truly the new Evangelion (TVA). All we needed is that all the casts stand around Yuuna and clapping. Now go make EoE for this.

Lol. "Congratulations, Yuuna!".
Dec 25, 2014 6:52 PM
Jan 2013
I feel like people watching this show don't know what the term "asspull" actually means. YOU CANNOT FORESHADOW OR CHEKOV'S GUN AN ASSPULL.

Yuuki Yuuna had both of these elements present over multiple prior episodes. Hell, the Taisha themselves even told Fuu that the side effects would be temporary. They've been telling them all along and it's our fault as viewers for pushing OUR expectations down a certain path. We should have never deemed these disabilities as permanent when the show never confirmed that they were. We should not blame the show for our own incompetence when the show explicitly and implicitly telling us that this is what is going to happen in the end.
Dec 25, 2014 7:24 PM
Nov 2013
sroque said:
Hell, the Taisha themselves even told Fuu that the side effects would be temporary.

So the invalid girl with 20 fairies was just unlucky? Or she just didn't believe enough or have the power of friendship to recover sooner?

They pulled the recoveries straight out of their asses.

There's no point in their dick of a god taking their health and well being as a sacrifice if he's just going to turn around and go "just kidding!" and give everything back.

The Taisha weren't telling them they'd be all right because they knew. If anything the state of the previous hero laying in bed immobile and covered in bandages showed that they knew the exact opposite.

They told them everything would be okay because if they went and told every hero that they had no clue or gave a flat out no then they would run out of heroes real fast.
Dec 25, 2014 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
No. Taisha said that far before gods change their minds. Are you saying Taisha predicted how gods will act?

It's more like gods are scared of direct death threat by their employee(=tougo). A dog bites its master situation, this is.
DawnJDec 25, 2014 7:39 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 25, 2014 7:40 PM

Mar 2014
Farscape1 said:
sroque said:
Hell, the Taisha themselves even told Fuu that the side effects would be temporary.

So the invalid girl with 20 fairies was just unlucky? Or she just didn't believe enough or have the power of friendship to recover sooner?

There's no point in their dick of a god taking their health and well being as a sacrifice if he's just going to turn around and go "just kidding!" and give everything back.

The Taisha weren't telling them they'd be all right because they knew. If anything the state of the previous hero laying in bed immobile and covered in bandages showed that they knew the exact opposite.

They told them everything would be okay because if they went and told every hero that they had no clue or gave a flat out no then they would run out of heroes real fast.
The Taisha still needed her because of the Vertex threat, Shinju just thinks it was pushed back enough and that the current heroes aren't stable enough to keep going.
Besides, the body parts were probably exchanged with faeries, which they lost, and those were their source of power so they're all basically to square one even if they all go back to being heroes.
Did Taisha lie? Eh, probably but things "work out for them" I guess.
Dec 25, 2014 7:53 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Oh my, why did they have to use a deus ex-machina ending? This episode was so rushed. Some people said, 'Madoka fans wanted some depressing ending because of Madoka' but after all of this angst there would be a greater impact if the ending was depressing. This reminded me of Mai-Hime and Clannad: AS, they did the same things.

Besides that, many plot holes were left there and even the LN doesn't explains everything. Unless there will be indeed a season 2 with a different cast which will explain the rest.
Dec 25, 2014 8:18 PM
Jan 2013
Farscape1 said:
sroque said:

Sonoko didn't recover because Shinju didn't take his power back from her. She still had her terminal and even said she was still an emergency hero in case something happened. She still had 20 fairies but I guess you didn't realize that the amount of Shinju's power directly affects their bodily functions. Sonoko ASSUMED her body would never recover because she had never gotten her powers taken back by Shinju. The taisha and Shinju-sama know that the current system cannot permanently defeat the vertexes, that's why they collect data on the fights. They are trying to improve the system so that one day they will be able to fight off the vertex without losses and maybe even defeat them. Again, these developments had been foreshadowed long before the final episode. It's not an asspull just because you can't connect the dots.

The invasion was stopped for the time being. After the original heroes pushed the vertexes back, they didn't show up for 2 years. Who knows how long it will take them to recover now that the heroes actually killed some of them?
sroqueDec 25, 2014 8:43 PM
Dec 25, 2014 9:11 PM

Aug 2013
haters gonna hate..
I personally enjoy this anime..
9/10

this is an anime, don't put any logical thought on it, you can't enjoy it fully..
Dec 25, 2014 9:27 PM

May 2010
The feels when they were trying to stop the sun!

All of them recovering slowly, that was great!

Yuna woke up too, such a bittersweet-turned-happy end!

Now they have switched jobs, Yuna is in the wheelchair while Togo is helping her.

The feels during the ED song were strong as well, Togo walking alongside everyone. So awesome...

To be honest, a bittersweet or bad end would've been better (probably) but I love this happy end as well.

9/10, best anime this season. Would love an adaptation of its prequel.

"Not even injury can stop these heroes."
Dec 25, 2014 9:43 PM

Oct 2009
ivaantjia said:
haters gonna hate..
I personally enjoy this anime..
9/10

this is an anime, don't put any logical thought on it, you can't enjoy it fully..

Most people actually not arguing from 'logical' standpoint, as they already know this is a work of fiction.

People are rather disappointed of the integrity of the show, by the lack of subtext or even a direct explanation of the world mechanics. Because a good show must have integrity in its lore and ruleset and the means to relay the message to the audience through subtext. People are rather disappointed of the false pretense of dissonance given by Nogi Sonoko revelation of the hero system, because that is the point in the show where the heroes dilemma began to take over the mood of the show. (or even back to the minor 'death flag' event) The subtext has failed to deliver, or to be precisely, contradicting each other, which is why people watching the show as 'fill in the blank we are not going to explain the details' scenario. You know how imagination makes people runs wild.

I for one was disappointed by how little the show reveals it's lore, the premise was too simple. The light novel even contains more information than this series.
Dec 25, 2014 9:55 PM

Oct 2009
Paulo27 said:
Farscape1 said:

The Taisha still needed her because of the Vertex threat, Shinju just thinks it was pushed back enough and that the current heroes aren't stable enough to keep going.
Besides, the body parts were probably exchanged with faeries, which they lost, and those were their source of power so they're all basically to square one even if they all go back to being heroes.
Did Taisha lie? Eh, probably but things "work out for them" I guess.

Yuuna first fairy was a gluttonous cow(?), lol.
Dec 25, 2014 9:58 PM

Feb 2014
That was a nice way to spend my last few minutes of Christmas 2014.

That really wasn't the best ending...it was kinda underwhelming if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to see that everything turned out all right. But following episodes 10 & 11, I could really only see 2 possible endings: 1) they kill the Shinju-sama and thus, destroy their world and themselves (the one I was hoping for as I like it better than possible ending #2) our 2) they save the Shinju-sama but use so much mankai that they turn into potatoes. But somehow they saved the world and...lived? There were some parts where I was like: "really?"

First of all, why did they feel such miniscule aftereffects of using the mankai (besides yuna)? Like, they didn't lose any more bodily functions, and instead they healed up (and remember, just to clarify, I and absolutely happy with the fact that they all healed)! But Karin-chan, after using mankai 4ish times, gets only a broken leg and an eyepatch, while Yuna is left in a coma???? What??? And the fact that they all healed up I'm the end doesn't make very much sense. So the Shinju-sama has been forcing young girls to save the world while becoming human sacrifices, but now it feels sorry for them and decides to heal everyone? I can see the logic where they heal because their faeries disappeared and they are no longer heroes but then again why did Togo's old bedridden friend get healed as well? Did they heal all heroes? And what happened to the vertexes? Are they still here, but the Shinju-sama just needs to find replacement heroes? Also, thank goodness Yuna was healed add well. If they all came out fine except for her I would be so mad!!!! (And I kind of feel weird about saying that because I'm basically writing a rant, but I digress...)

Again, I am super happy with the fact that everyone turned out okay, but the events in this episode seemed to rushed and incohesive.

Regardless of the ending, this show gets an 8 out of 10 from me. Yay it was a magical girl, it had great music, it got me very emotionally invested, it had interesting plot twists, it had good action, and I looked forward to watching it with every coming week. However, the beginning felt awkward as there was a weird balance of slide of life and drama action. I also felt that the ending, despite delivering a positive outcome, was pretty lazy. However, it was a very good show overall, and I'm glad to have watched it..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2014 10:08 PM

Aug 2008
May the power of friendship compel you!

That was unexpected. For a bit, I even half expected she'd collapse for good too when they were doing the play, but it was a good end anyway.
I also find that caption at the end interesting. It said Yuki Yuna's chapter. That, along with the fact that what was going on the background (the struggle to survive against the apocalypse) hasn't exactly been resolved yet, would lead one to speculate about another new series would be created, with a focus on a different character instead.

Well, I liked what I saw. If there's going to be something new with this series, then I'd remember to pick it up.
Dec 25, 2014 10:13 PM
Oct 2013
Dropped rating from 9/10 to 8/10 because of this episode. It IS a forced, rushed happy ending to me, no matter what you say. Still a good show after all.

Edit: Watched again and I take this back. This is a more than a "forced happy ending", but you'll need to find the clues. 9/10, great show.
PetitFoursDec 26, 2014 6:09 AM
Dec 25, 2014 11:55 PM

Feb 2009
Long post time!

The point of the suffering was to increase one's appreciation for the times when things were perfectly fine and normal. The girls will certainly carry some of the trauma from this experience for the rest of their lives.

The logic of saying the suffering had 'no point' just because they survived would be like saying "what's the point of someone going into a war and coming out alive?!", when everyone among the cast had some kind of transformative experience during the course of the story (which, by the way, is the actual meaning of the 'death' card that kept popping up repeatedly).

Remember that losing their bodily functions (the "Sange") is part of an "offering" to the Shinju; in exchange for losing the function of some part of their body, they gain more power. Each body part lost is paid for by giving the one making the sacrifice a new faery and, with it, a new power. Hence why Sonoko was easily the most powerful member of the cast (to the point where the Taisha actively feared her).

So at the end of the battle, you see their faeries get taken back by the Shinju, and in exchange their offerings are returned. The taking back of the offerings was foreshadowed in episode 7. This is represented physically in the scene by the flower petals falling on their bodies. (Of particular note in this scene is the fact that Yuki does NOT lose her faery NOR does she get the flower petals falling on her body, something I imagine that would come up in a sequel.) In giving up their powers as heroes, they regain their lost functionality.

Sometimes I wonder if the people criticizing the ending have actually given it more than a passing moment's thought, or if they missed ALL of the foreshadowing that lead up to this point. You really shouldn't have been surprised if you were paying attention.

Moving along, some further speculation:

I hypothesize that the Shinju actually has a finite amount of energy. It uses this energy both to power the heroes and to power the entire artificial world that humanity is living inside. Over time, the barrier weakens because the Shinju is using up its energy reserves, and at some point it has to allow SOMETHING inside so that the heroes can kill it and give some of the power back to the Shinju.

Thus, when Togo opened up an ENORMOUS hole in the shield and allowed an unprecedented swarm of Vertices inside, the cumulative effect of ALL of that energy filling the Shinju simultaneously allowed the Shinju to perform tasks that it could not before, including sealing up the hole in a matter of moments, returning their offerings to the heroes, and working on a new hero system that does not rely on offerings at all (again, pure speculation on my part, but I suspect if there is a sequel we would see this new system in action).

We also know that the Shinju actually has a clearly defined will, a mind of its own, if you will, and it may have seen the girls' suffering and understood that it needed to try a different tactic to ensure the long-term survival of humanity. Hence, it returned their offerings to them as a gesture of good will and also as a sort of survival reflex (because, let's face it, the last thing it needed was someone like Togo to go on another rampage).

Some may say I am overthinking it, but the more I look into the setting, the more fascinated I am by the series and the more I am struck by how well-executed it all is. Really in love with it and hope they do make a sequel and answer some of the many burning questions that still remain.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2014

188 by mikejimamadara »»
Apr 23, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

142 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 8, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2014

98 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 8, 8:40 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2014

58 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 7, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2014

67 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 4, 2:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.