Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 6, 2014 11:38 AM

Mar 2014
As a addicted to MMOs gamer and a Guild Master I find William's speech great.
Dec 6, 2014 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
It was like a 15 to 20 minute monologue. I get what he was saying, saying what they do is not meaningless to them and they do what they do b/c they are gamers. But I don't think the message needed to be beat over our heads, we get it, it shouldn't have taken so long to explain.
I did like the end of the monologue because it gave some backstory, provided character development.and explained why he didn't join the round table.
Dec 6, 2014 12:44 PM

Nov 2012
It was good episode but why the speech was so long :D
And I want to see more Marielle and Naotsugu together :)
Dec 6, 2014 1:10 PM

Sep 2012
Wtf is wrong with this pacing?

Sure, I liked the speech and William's story, but a WHOLE EPISODE on this was over-the-top excessive.
Dec 6, 2014 1:12 PM

Apr 2009
As a person who spent those last 10 years in WoW, and in one guild at that, that speech really did strike a chord. It was a rather weak episode with very little progress story-wise perhaps, but that damn speech was something... well, tangible, something I really could write myself under. I'm keeping hold of this episode, for an avid mmo gamer it really is something more than meets the eye.

Dec 6, 2014 1:13 PM

Jul 2012
That was a bit of a drag for 15 minutes of just talking. A good bit of it too being repetitive at that.
Dec 6, 2014 1:26 PM

Jul 2014
Bleh. I got bored and stopped paying attention.
Dec 6, 2014 1:54 PM

Jan 2012
As someone who's played MMORPGs for many years I just loved this episode and it reminded me again why I love Log Horizon so much. The speech was breathtaking, because you could relate to it, if you are/were a MMORPG player. However, it seems like only people who've played MMORPGs for years appreciated this speech and the episode, which is kinda understandable. Plebs will never understand how it feels to be a gamer, let alone how much that stuff means to us.

Imo LH is the type of anime that only people who've played MMORPGs can truly enjoy and appreciate.
Dec 6, 2014 2:31 PM

May 2012
well they said theres not enough material so this ep is forgiven..

Dec 6, 2014 3:00 PM

Nov 2012
not as much boring as akatsuki episode but still shit
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Dec 6, 2014 3:03 PM

Apr 2012
lol a speech defending hikikomori gamers ?

Kinda weird NHK would fund this show.

Dec 6, 2014 4:27 PM

Jun 2014
That.... really honestly resounded with me as a fairly hardcore gamer. at first i thought it was a waste of an entire episode, but it really made its point. If kind of reminded you that all these people were just gamers in the real world.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Dec 6, 2014 4:41 PM
Jul 2014
Well... that was definitely a speech.

Wasn't sure where it was going at first, he seemed to be implying that going back to the real world was an alternative -- which so far does not seem to be the case. Still, since it appears that the death sequence shows you things from the real world that you're missing and tries to put you down, it seems like something like this speech was necessary to rouse everyone back up.

Still probably a bit long, but looks like next ep they're getting right back into the action.
Dec 6, 2014 4:46 PM

Jan 2011
Played more then enough of my share i guess, so i can understand where he is going with that speech. But it was defintively over the top, both the content and the length.

Well, at least they got that out of the way. What Shiroe has in mind with all that gold should be more interesting, and i wonder how they'll deal with 3 raid bosses when they barely managed one, so i'm looking forward to next episode.
Dec 6, 2014 4:51 PM

Jul 2014
Nice speech from William. A built up episode, I guess next eps will have a lot more action.
Dec 6, 2014 4:51 PM

May 2013
Uh... Well that was sort of shit. The entire episode felt like one way too long speech
Dec 6, 2014 4:56 PM

Jun 2014
Even though this episode didn't do anything but gave a speech, it damn well did a good job in executing it. This maybe because I'm a gamer myself and that 20 minute speech was so good that it hit me too.

Looking forward to the next episode, this episode deserves a 5/5 for the morale.
*Facepalm*
Dec 6, 2014 5:09 PM

Dec 2009
William spoke to me. Yeah, I know it would be perceived by regular society as "weird" or "abnormal," but once you made the social connections in MMO's (heck even the web) it really does feel as real as a real world relationship. Which is why it is always sad to see a guild slowly lose members over time, but the memories carved by the bits of 1's and 0's in-game are still as real as the ones you have done in real life.

Human's are social creatures, the marginalized in our society craves to drag itself out of isolation and loneliness, Online social games are just one way of doing so. Hence why E-sports is starting to garner so much popularity over the past decade. What makes it so different from the regular sports of today? (physical exercise notwithstanding)
Dec 6, 2014 5:09 PM

Feb 2012
Lame ep is lame.
Dec 6, 2014 5:20 PM

Jun 2013
Being an MMO gamer myself I found this episode to really relate to me. This is one of the reasons why I love this series so damn much
Dec 6, 2014 5:23 PM

Oct 2013
10/10 Amazing episode.

For the people who didn't like this episode.
I feel as though the people who liked this episode was because of how relatable that speech was.
I've been playing gw2 and other MMORPG's since I was pretty young, so hearing a speech like that really hit to heart with me.

If you didn't like it, it's totally understandable. I just hope you understand why that episode is so touching to people who actually are able to relate to it.

I thought the episode was great, even without any action. It's just really cool to see the development of characters that we never knew about much.
Dec 6, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2014
Everybody is saying this ep was just a bunch of talking and crap but if you read into the message it is broadcasting it's really deep and insightful. I thoroughly enjoyed this ep. Log Horizon is doing just great.
Let’s say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You don’t want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! YOU'RE STILL IN BED! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads! But you can’t stop! THAT’S THE TRUTH OF THE STRAWBERRY MILK! DO YOU GET IT? ~ Gintoki
An unforeseen situation... An unexpected turn of events... In the face of those, you too will face your true self. — Makishima Shougo
Dec 6, 2014 6:10 PM
Jan 2011
Worst episode yet, could have covered all the point in that speech in < 5 min without rushing, it did not need 20 minutes of monologuing. Would have been much better if it had focus on everyone who was thinking of quiting of the majority of the episode, that would have given the speech context and we would have learnt about the rest of the guild.
Dec 6, 2014 6:12 PM

Sep 2010
NettoAzure said:
William spoke to me. Yeah, I know it would be perceived by regular society as "weird" or "abnormal," but once you made the social connections in MMO's (heck even the web) it really does feel as real as a real world relationship. Which is why it is always sad to see a guild slowly lose members over time, but the memories carved by the bits of 1's and 0's in-game are still as real as the ones you have done in real life.

Human's are social creatures, the marginalized in our society craves to drag itself out of isolation and loneliness, Online social games are just one way of doing so. Hence why E-sports is starting to garner so much popularity over the past decade. What makes it so different from the regular sports of today? (physical exercise notwithstanding)

^^

Wow... really polarized opinions here. O.O

I'm with the group that really likes this episode. I'm surprised that a great episode could consist of not much more than William talking. It seems like a good counterpart to episode 3, where Shiroe explained the mechanics of raids, while here, William explains some of the human aspect.

I haven't played MMORPGs much, so maybe this isn't so unusual, but... I found it interesting that a raiding guild could share the unallocated items in such a way that no-one felt dissatisfied in the long term.

Also inspiring that, William looks up to Shiroe for bringing peace to Akiba - a mission that William didn't attempt because he deemed it impossible. At the same time, Shiroe looks up to William for being able to pull his guild back up from a morale-crushing defeat by 3 raid bosses. It's like an... upward spiral. ^^
Dec 6, 2014 6:24 PM

Nov 2013
Interesting episode. Also some character development (we see it quite a lot throughout the season too). The actual concept though is pretty peculiar of MMO gamers being social outcasts, we see actually someone openly admitting to being an outcast but accepting it. Most of time if you call someone having no life they respond with something negative, but here the author goes to address the issue by saying that the guild master accepts it. Anyway I can relate to this on some level about being an introvert, but not much more than that as I've never really been an MMO addict. I actually wish I could spend all my time playing games and such but need to pay for rent and food, otherwise I would probably do it too.

Anyway quite the complicated issue, maybe I'm looking into it deeper than I should.
Dec 6, 2014 6:48 PM
Oct 2012
Specterer said:
Even though this episode didn't do anything but gave a speech, it damn well did a good job in executing it. This maybe because I'm a gamer myself and that 20 minute speech was so good that it hit me too.

Looking forward to the next episode, this episode deserves a 5/5 for the morale.

I also think this ties into what will be the main idea of the series. Every character seems to have something about the real world that they regret and dying in this world is forcing them to confront these regrets. The past two arcs were about this: both Akatsuki and Shiroe had issues with trusting people (for different reasons), William had issues being honest about his true feelings, dying forced them to confront and overcome their weaknesses. Death in this world involves giving up a regret and being more honest.

That really makes the speculation about the "third party responsible" much more interesting.

Log Horizon, like SAO, was never really about the "games", but rather about how the game can positively impact people's lives. The last two arcs were examples of this.
Dec 6, 2014 7:04 PM

Nov 2013
Wow. A whole episode of William character development, and a pretty good one at that. That speech was painful, embarrassing, and most importantly real.

I like how they show his thoughts on what is he even saying lol. It certainly did overstay it's welcome, but pretty moving nonetheless (at least to gamers considering the setting).

Whats funny is that he even addresses those types of ppl that berate dedicated gamers (like some of the commentators here).
Dec 6, 2014 7:25 PM

Aug 2008
Epic speech by William. Still more interesting than Akatsuki part.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 6, 2014 7:35 PM

Jun 2014
I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about all the talking this episode, but being a HUGE gamer myself; I could definitely relate to William's speech! Being a gamer myself for 36 years and someone who has been playing MMOs since 1999, I was moved by that speech. Reminds me of quite a few I've heard from my online friends and guild members!

I'm liking William a whole lot more now, knowing that he is a TRUE gamer!

I thought this episode was amazing and the speech is what made the episode!

RISE UP GAMERS AND TRY AGAIN!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Dec 6, 2014 8:07 PM

Mar 2013
This made me rebem why i loved the first season. the round table meetings and shiroe speeches.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Dec 6, 2014 8:32 PM

Jul 2014
This is one of those times where they try and relate with the viewer as much as possible and I think they did a spectacular job. Everyone who has played MMO's at one point must have felt something akin to William's speech. If you didn't then you just didn't love the game enough, and that's not a problem.

5/5 Episode
750/750 Tears fully stacked
Dec 6, 2014 9:20 PM

Apr 2013
Nice speech by William (Master of NEETs) but it really could have been half as long. I got his point within the first 5 minutes. And obviously they're going to leave it at a cliffhanger on the reveal of what Shiroe is really after.
Dec 6, 2014 9:21 PM
Jun 2009
Damn!
I usually don't mind speeches at all, but this was way too long and boring..
20 minutes of one person speaking and repeating the same things over and over... 10 minutes would have been enough, if not still too much.
Dec 6, 2014 10:31 PM

Apr 2009
i dont know why this took a whole episode, william is interesting but he didnt need a whole episode dedicated to him
Dec 6, 2014 10:34 PM

Aug 2014
I want to see some action by the next episode I think we have already have enough speeches.
Dec 6, 2014 10:41 PM
Nov 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:
So Log Horizon now wants to tell us that being a hikikomori is ok and you should just play games in order to develop social skills?

The long self-justification for hikikomori was strange. Until now, it was more "this is the world we're stuck in and we have to deal with it." That's certainly what Shiroe seemed to be doing, trying to figure out how to live in and run this new world. Shiroe has people working on understanding the rules of the world, how they work, and how they can be changed or exploited. The Silver Sword guild is acting as if it's a game to be played, not their life.

(Suggested philosophical reading: The Glass Bead Game, by Hermann Hesse.)
Dec 6, 2014 10:43 PM
Nov 2012
Okashi_sama said:
The speech was so cringe worthy, and i'm a hardcore gamer.

If you really want to cringe, watch "Welcome to the N.H.K.", an anime designed to strike terror into the hearts of game addicts.
Dec 6, 2014 10:49 PM
Jul 2012
I love how the characters is foreshadowing based on their experiences in the past. I don't realize sadness in this episode. ;(
nepu nepu
Dec 6, 2014 10:59 PM

Mar 2008
Liked his back story but I was waiting for someone to holler out Fag the entire time. lmao
Dec 6, 2014 11:08 PM

Feb 2008
While I thought it was a good speech, it was pretty damn long. Was hoping for some action, but... another week to go I guess.
Dec 6, 2014 11:46 PM

Oct 2013
Such a tedious but necessary speech for William's character. Would like to see the raid finally wrapped up though, they need to address what happened to Crusty and try to get him back if possible.
Dec 7, 2014 12:21 AM

Dec 2014
"WE'RE GAMERS DAMMIT"
Dec 7, 2014 1:32 AM

May 2013
Nice speech, William, nice speech.
Your passion and the OST really helped everyone feel what you're feeling.
But you must use those feelings and make them into actions.
Shiroe has a plan and there's a 15% chance of success. Fight, gamers!
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Dec 7, 2014 2:37 AM

Sep 2012
While I liked LH a bit more than SAO I am liking SAOII more than LH2.
Dec 7, 2014 3:11 AM

Sep 2009
I also found the speech a bit boring. I understand it's aimed towards gamers (I'm a gamer too) but this just felt frustratingly long to me. I really want the overall plot to move a bit faster than it is now.
Dec 7, 2014 3:32 AM

May 2013
I'm a bit disappointed with S2 LH. 6/10 honestly. The whole Christmas thing moved WAY too slowly. Episode 3 is when they first showed this Raid Boss. It's now Episode 10, and we've seen only a few minutes of combat with it. Very frustrated at this snail-pace.

Gamer pandering was fine. At the beginning of the episode I was stoked to see the beginning of the Raid Boss Battle, and during the OP I paused and said to my roommate, "It's been seven episodes without any progression. I swear to God if it takes longer than 5 minutes to psyche themselves back up, I'm gonna [insert any promised phrase that's never intended to be kept]. And, if they end the episode ABOUT to enter the battle, I'll hate this show."

Sure enough, my roommate had no clue what I was talking about, but he saw me freaking out and said, "cliffhanger before the battle, huh?"
Dec 7, 2014 4:27 AM

Nov 2013
Wow,that was one hell of a speech lol :))) I took longer than i expected haha~

I can sympathize with that guy though,and i thought that the speech was really cool!
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.
Dec 7, 2014 4:37 AM

Apr 2014
A lot better than the recent few episodes.
Dec 7, 2014 5:18 AM

May 2014
So much talking doe xD
I actually want to know Shiroe's reasons.. idk if the show already talked about it before and I just forgot but oh well.
I want to see Akatsuki soon :D
Dec 7, 2014 5:20 AM
May 2013
I know that this episode takes a whole lot of that speech but you've got to remember that:
1. There's not enough material
2. This is a 25 episode anime thus if they make that a half or even less than a half episode speech, what would they show us next because I'm pretty sure that it will catch up to the latest volume of a currently running LN
3. This is meant for gamers, admit it or not those 0 and 1data are nothing to a someone but it does a lot to those gamers who found their happiness and meet new friends because of that
4. This is not promoting hikki at all, GAMERS and I mean GAMERS sure do know what William was pointing and what trying to convey, you don't know a feeling of having no talent, no specialty, feeling down in this world at all, not all people are gifted with those looks and talents you have in this judgmental world, if those GAMES doesn't exist the suicide rate will be so high in this world for the reason that those GAMERS will not find anything worth it in this world to release their stress and found happiness. I did not mean in a way that's being a hikki, to make things clear Willaim clearly said, "I'm studying for games" which we can interpret it's one of his motivation why he is studying, so where's being a hikki in that one?
5. There's an anime that's bound to finish by next week which did an anime original ending and a lot of people are raging because of that, so you also want a less speech, faster pacing and yet original anime ending?
6. Not relevant, there's an anime episode also that aired this week that eats up the whole time of the entire show with those background story that has been repeated ever since that anime started and yet they repeat it again and I can't see anything complaining on that. In the contrary they are even praising that slow pacing that has been repeated again with just additional info.
LiesianthesDec 7, 2014 5:23 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2015

155 by Syrass »»
Feb 12, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 28, 2015

225 by SOLDRAKE »»
Feb 5, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

147 by Overblown »»
Nov 10, 2023 4:56 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

161 by Anachrome »»
Sep 1, 2023 9:53 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

162 by l9kyubyu »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.