Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people dislike strong male protagonists?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 23, 2014 2:30 PM

Jul 2011
Tsumayouji said:
I'm gonna bust out some Joseph Campbell on you people:

So according to story writing theory, "good stories" require conflict and a "character arc." A "character arc" requires growth, aka the character changes in some way, either mentally, emotionally, or physically (usually all three).

Joseph Campbell was a big-time mythology nerd who studied myths the world over and came up with a formula for the one myth - known as the "Hero's Journey," which most all of Hollywood has used as a guideline for creating good cinema since. While the Hero's Journey is not a necessity for creating a good story, nordoes adhering to it always lead to one (some great films break from this), it was the first template for categorizing and discussing what enduring stories were and why. And it underscored the notion that you need a character to change in some way to be engaging.

So the "problem" with most "strong" male protagonists is that they have no character arc, no growth. They don't change emotionally or mentally. They're just super strong. And the lack of change means they're typically found to be inherently uninteresting.

You can get away with this if they aren't the main character. Take Alucard from Hellsing. While he is a core character, Seras and even Integra are more of the main characters, and they do go through their own arcs that change them. Guts is a strong dude, but we see him transform into who he is.

Rambo undergoes a HUGE character arc. The movie isn't about how much of a badass he is, but how he struggles with PTSD. The struggle being the key.

But Ichigo has many character arcs and i still dislike him.
Mar 23, 2014 3:03 PM

Nov 2007
pralan said:
Tsumayouji said:
I'm gonna bust out some Joseph Campbell on you people:

So according to story writing theory, "good stories" require conflict and a "character arc." A "character arc" requires growth, aka the character changes in some way, either mentally, emotionally, or physically (usually all three).

Joseph Campbell was a big-time mythology nerd who studied myths the world over and came up with a formula for the one myth - known as the "Hero's Journey," which most all of Hollywood has used as a guideline for creating good cinema since. While the Hero's Journey is not a necessity for creating a good story, nordoes adhering to it always lead to one (some great films break from this), it was the first template for categorizing and discussing what enduring stories were and why. And it underscored the notion that you need a character to change in some way to be engaging.

So the "problem" with most "strong" male protagonists is that they have no character arc, no growth. They don't change emotionally or mentally. They're just super strong. And the lack of change means they're typically found to be inherently uninteresting.

You can get away with this if they aren't the main character. Take Alucard from Hellsing. While he is a core character, Seras and even Integra are more of the main characters, and they do go through their own arcs that change them. Guts is a strong dude, but we see him transform into who he is.

Rambo undergoes a HUGE character arc. The movie isn't about how much of a badass he is, but how he struggles with PTSD. The struggle being the key.

But Ichigo has many character arcs and i still dislike him.

Haha, well even if you have a character with character arcs, doesn't guarantee he's likable. Likability is another matter entirely. ;)

My point though is that many "strong" male protagonists don't change. And it's pretty hard to have anyone get behind an MC who doesn't change at all (not impossible, but highly unlikely).
Mar 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Jan 2013
No they dont' , they maybe dislike the character of the protagonist .
Mar 23, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
I like watching strong protagonists, male or female. It's just when I think they're ridiculously overpowered, that's when it becomes boring and unchallenging. This is the reason why I don't bother watching Bleach anymore.
Mar 23, 2014 3:22 PM

May 2013

Anything else?
Mar 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Apr 2013
I like Natsu Dragneel, Vash, Spike Spiegel, Gene Starwind, Brandon Heat, etc. They're all strong male main characters but at th esame time each one of them has a flaw.
Mar 24, 2014 8:04 PM

Jun 2011
Alucard is on my favorites list and he's insanely OP. So no, I don't dislike strong male protagonists as long as they've got some interesting qualities/flaws/etc.

Mar 25, 2014 12:46 AM

Aug 2011
I like the strong male protagonist's , what's wrong with them ? They cand be as strong as they can possible be if it goes well with the story line...My favorites are the one's who are a little stronger than he's friends but kinda weeker than the enemy so they cand rise over them.
Mar 25, 2014 3:28 PM

Mar 2014
Y'know about Kirito.. he really did have character development..

(i'm sorry if my grammar makes anything hard to understand or read, i tend to make mistakes like that)

also i read up to page 7 so if any1 has already typed something like this, i'm sorry for wasting your time.

Mod Note: Spoiler tag added to summary of SAO series.
rodacApr 1, 2014 11:47 PM
Mar 25, 2014 3:31 PM

Mar 2014
also no, i don't dislike every strong male leads just because they are strong male leads. i do dislike VERY douche attitudes in a male protagonist though.
Mar 25, 2014 3:39 PM

Jul 2013
It takes more than a protagonist being strong for me to dislike him. I generally like strong protagonists. One that comes to mind is Tatsuya Shiba. He is clearly a Gary Stu in my opinion, but I don't care. I think he is a Gary Stu done right, and he is executed perfectly. Someone like Kirito I don't like that much. Not because he is OP and strong, but simply because I don't like his character. There are many others, it just depends on peoples' taste I guess.
Mar 26, 2014 2:35 AM

Sep 2013
I have complete opposite complex. I enjoy power progression as much as the next person but i'd prefer to see the main character be over powered to hell and abuse it than be an idiot who can't seem to learn from his mistakes.
Mar 26, 2014 2:37 AM

Sep 2012
People usually only dislike strong MCs because they use their strength to easily win fights and pretty much annihilate their opponents, which isn't very thrilling.
Mar 26, 2014 4:51 AM
Feb 2013
Honestly I don't have anything against a powerful male protagonist as long as he has a "cool" personality.
But I'd like to see an anime based around a strong female protagonist more often.
May 19, 2015 7:30 PM

Aug 2013
People dislike everything.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
May 19, 2015 7:36 PM

Jan 2014
really? i though people dislike wimpy and weak one more. what user here dislike is someone that are way too flawless
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
May 19, 2015 7:41 PM

Mar 2015
i think weak or strong doesn't matter. what we need is good development character.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 19, 2015 11:17 PM
Dec 2009
I only dislike them if they're too flawless and/or have no personality. A character that boring an inhuman is really hard for me to get invested in. Being just simply powerful isn't enough for me, I have to like the character in the first place!
May 19, 2015 11:26 PM

May 2015
I dont dislike them as long as they are charismatic,Alucard and Claire Stanfield for example might be Gary Stues but you cant deny that their scenes are the highlights of their series.
May 19, 2015 11:26 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
If their too powerful it can be really boring.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

May 19, 2015 11:27 PM

Sep 2014
it's the otehr way around
people dislike the weak ones
May 19, 2015 11:46 PM

Jun 2014
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?action=search&q=overpowered&u=&uloc=1&loc=16
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?action=search&q=strong+&u=&uloc=1&loc=16
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?action=search&q=badass&u=&uloc=1&loc=16

I call bulshit. We get like ten "Looking for anime with strong/badass/overpowered mc" threads per day in the anime & manga recommendations subforum to the point that you'd think people just watch anime for escapism or self insertion. There's no way in hell you can tell me people don't love strrong mc, maybe the extreme minority.

Anyway, the strength of the character doesn't matter. How well he's written and how that strength (or lack thereof) is used in the story is where it's at.
May 20, 2015 3:48 AM
Nov 2010
Probably because they can't relate.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
May 20, 2015 4:00 AM

Mar 2015
Toarujisuru said:
If their too powerful it can be really boring.
One punch man can do that.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 16 minutes ago

5 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by animegamer245 »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

36 by Lhundrup »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

18 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

24 by BitChilly »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.