Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Soul Eater NOT!
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 24, 2014 6:24 PM

Oct 2012
For some reason, I'm not interested in Soul Eater, but I AM interested in Soul Eater Not when it comes out. Do I have to watch the original Soul Eater before then?
Feb 24, 2014 6:26 PM
Jul 2012
This show is a spin off. So, no you don't have to watch the tv show of Soul Eater in order to understand it.
Feb 27, 2014 5:39 AM

Oct 2012
Okay, thanks.
Apr 9, 2014 1:01 PM
Jan 2014
DarknessOfEmo said:
This show is a spin off. So, no you don't have to watch the tv show of Soul Eater in order to understand it.

follow up question, will I be spoiled on the original series by watching this?
Apr 9, 2014 1:13 PM
Sep 2013
dedze said:
DarknessOfEmo said:

follow up question, will I be spoiled on the original series by watching this?

Nope, this is a prequel.
Apr 9, 2014 1:49 PM
Aug 2011
Technically it's not even a prequel it's more like a side story than a prequel.
Apr 9, 2014 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
parfaited said:
Technically it's not even a prequel it's more like a side story than a prequel.

It could be a prequel side story. It's placed before the original series but it's not focusing on the main characters of the original.
༺Momo༻
Apr 9, 2014 9:34 PM

Jun 2012
What is it with this community getting hung up on ongoing stuff to the extent of skipping the originals for spin offs?
Apr 9, 2014 9:35 PM

Nov 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
What is it with this community getting hung up on ongoing stuff to the extent of skipping the originals for spin offs?

+1

soul eater is amazing, why would you not watch it?
Apr 9, 2014 9:41 PM

Nov 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Even for sequels.
Apr 9, 2014 11:24 PM

Jul 2013
Celestrial2 said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

+1

What sane person would watch 51 episodes first just to watch this spin-off? even if you marathon it, it would still take a considerable amount of time to finish it. There's always hope that this will be like Fumoffu where you don't have to watch the original series to enjoy it.
Apr 9, 2014 11:29 PM

Nov 2010
jiraiya_sensei said:
Celestrial2 said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

+1

What sane person would watch 51 episodes first just to watch this spin-off? even if you marathon it, it would still take a considerable amount of time to finish it. There's always hope that this will be like Fumoffu where you don't have to watch the original series to enjoy it.
What sane person would watch a spin off if they haven't watched what it's spinning off? And a day and a half isn't a considerable amount of time, if someone loves it they can even watch it in less than a day.
Apr 9, 2014 11:31 PM

Nov 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
jiraiya_sensei said:
Celestrial2 said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

+1

What sane person would watch a spin off if they haven't watched what it's spinning off? And a day and a half isn't a considerable amount of time, if someone loves it they can even watch it in less than a day.

+1 again. Soul Eater original was great, and there really is no point to watching a spin-off if you haven't watched the original. It doesn't really makes sense to me. Its like watch rock lee without watching naruto or watching bettercallsaul without watching breaking bad. I just don't get the logic in that.
Apr 9, 2014 11:42 PM

Oct 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Not like I wanna skip it but too much trouble for somebody who only has about 3 hours to spare on weekdays, well that's my case. I don't know if I'm doing a decent job but I'm re-reading the whole Fairy Tail up to its latest one and its about a week already but I'm only at the Tower of Heaven arc.

Thanks for this thread, was also curious about this.
Apr 9, 2014 11:47 PM

Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
jiraiya_sensei said:
Celestrial2 said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

+1

Well I was able to enjoy Fumoffu before I watched the original FMP. I watched this first episode and there's nothing too confusing in it. Sure maybe I'll miss a reference or two but I was able to enjoy it for the most part.

A day and a half is quite a lot of time for someone who doesn't have much spare time watching anime, especially considering the amount of ongoing anime that I want to keep up with. If this is interesting enough I'll most likely give the original Soul Eater a chance.
Apr 10, 2014 7:59 AM

Dec 2007
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Time investment for Soul Eater Not, currently: 22 minutes.

Time investment for Soul Eater currently: Nearly 19 hours.

When people have time they watch a lot of stuff at the start of a season.

Plus to be honest I'm not terribly excited about Soul Eater's garbage anime original ending I know is at the end.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Apr 10, 2014 8:12 AM

Nov 2010
jiraiya_sensei said:
Well I was able to enjoy Fumoffu before I watched the original FMP. I watched this first episode and there's nothing too confusing in it. Sure maybe I'll miss a reference or two but I was able to enjoy it for the most part.

A day and a half is quite a lot of time for someone who doesn't have much spare time watching anime, especially considering the amount of ongoing anime that I want to keep up with. If this is interesting enough I'll most likely give the original Soul Eater a chance.
And one could easily argue that you didn't get the full experience that you could have gotten. Especially with Fumoffu or the Rock Lee anime as they are going off the series's characters and trying to make them funny. If you haven't watched the series, you wouldn't get the full funniness.

You said marathoning, so I gave you standard marathoning time. You yourself is the one who gave the condition of it being marathoned. And we're not talking about you here.

SageShinigami said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Time investment for Soul Eater Not, currently: 22 minutes.

Time investment for Soul Eater currently: Nearly 19 hours.

When people have time they watch a lot of stuff at the start of a season.

Plus to be honest I'm not terribly excited about Soul Eater's garbage anime original ending I know is at the end.
That's stupid, you can watch Soul Eater at a one episode a week pace too.
Apr 10, 2014 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
In an ideal world you would watch the original a year or so in advance, and then watch this show and go OMG NOSTALGIA SQUEEEEEEEE when you see one of the characters make a return as a side character.

>totally what I'm feeling right now
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 10, 2014 9:50 AM

Nov 2010
Korrvo said:
In an ideal world you would watch the original a year or so in advance, and then watch this show and go OMG NOSTALGIA SQUEEEEEEEE when you see one of the characters make a return as a side character.

No, in an ideal world you watched it as it aired back in 2008 like I did.
Apr 10, 2014 9:51 AM

Jan 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Because some people, like myself, would rather watch a moe moe kyun show about little girls than the generic shounen bullshit in the original.

Sorry kid, I'm just not into kung fu.
Apr 10, 2014 9:54 AM

Sep 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Korrvo said:

No, in an ideal world you watched it as it aired back in 2008 like I did.
x10 nostalgia

Or directly after it finished airing so you can marathon it instead of waiting for it weekly works too.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 10, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2008
SolviteSekai said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Because some people, like myself, would rather watch a moe moe kyun show about little girls than the generic shounen bullshit in the original.

That kind of implies that the moe moe kyun shows are not generic.

~

I think you should watch Soul Eater first. Even if you can understand it, it just seems odd to me to even want to watch a spinoff if you haven't seen the original series.
Apr 10, 2014 1:43 PM

Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Even for sequels.

HAY GUISE, I wanna watch Love Live s2, do I need to watch S1 first???

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Apr 10, 2014 1:46 PM
Oct 2013
I'm just way more interested in this right now (a big reason being that I'm a yuri fanboy >_>). If it's like Railgun and can be watched by itself, I don't see the big deal. No need to insult us. Isn't this part of the reason spin-offs are made anyway, to get different types of fans interested in the main series?
Storm101Apr 10, 2014 1:51 PM
Apr 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Sep 2008
I haven't watched the original, but I'm interested in it, and have been hearing about it for a long time and I have a reason to start watching now.
I'm liking this side story as well until I get to the original as well.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Apr 10, 2014 3:01 PM

Mar 2012
GarLogan78 said:
SolviteSekai said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

That kind of implies that the moe moe kyun shows are not generic.

Ironic isn't it? lol.
Apr 10, 2014 3:33 PM

Mar 2014
i personally think that because this series is set before the original, its okay to watch it
Apr 11, 2014 1:58 PM

Jun 2011
Lol @ people talking about time investment. Just watch what you want to, it could be a completed series, an on going series, or even those on hiatus. Why fixated on watching only on going series? You (not pointing to OP) can watch the original at your own pace too.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 15, 2014 4:01 AM

May 2013
SolviteSekai said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

I could watch any other Moe Moe Kyun show, and its pretty much the same thing as watching any other Moe Moe Kyun show. Anime is full of generic stuff, but I bet you haven't noticed.
Oct 22, 2014 12:48 AM

Feb 2010
There's always hope that this will be like Fumoffu where you don't have to watch the original series to enjoy it..

I think it's a great analogy. I never got to watch FMP, but I've watched Fumoffu several times and it was great, you just need a few pointers to get what's up with characters. Same with NOT, it helps to know basics about SE setting, but otherwise, I think it's actualy better to watch NOT first. It's like alchohol: you are not supposed to lower the strenght of bewerage, while increasing it is fine.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 26, 2016 9:21 PM

Feb 2014
Soul Eater original series didn't catch my attention, but I got interested in Soul Eater NOT! cause it is moe + slice of life + action + drama + that lovely yuri fanservice S2 Plus it's a fast watch compared to the original - 12 episodes x 51 episodes.

Anyway, I liked to watch Soul Eater NOT! =)

Maybe one day I'll be watching Soul Eater... who knows.. someday.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2014

187 by UnholyAsian »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

129 by Jengmaru »»
Aug 30, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2014

73 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 9:23 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2014

81 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:39 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2014

49 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 7:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.