Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Sep 4, 2020 1:30 AM

Aug 2018
Not bad, not bad at all. It was sort of a weird blend of Mulholland Drive and Tanebre.
Sep 4, 2020 3:39 PM

Mar 2020
You're not you when you're hungry. fat bitch just needs some snickers
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Sep 26, 2020 6:00 AM

Aug 2018
Damn I never expected the mastermind to be Rumi. This was a great movie.

Oct 10, 2020 4:52 AM

Nov 2018
That was a very interesting and complicated movie, and after reading a little bit in the forums to clarify any confusion I had, everything kinda makes sense now.

So my guess is that it was Rumi who was the stalker & murderer and not Mamoru, who was just a figment of her imagination. And it was her that was running the fan page as well since she was the closest to Mima and wanted her to get back into the idol industry. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Overall a really good drama/psychological horror series. 8/10.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 21, 2020 5:03 PM

Oct 2013
I watched this shit nearly a month ago and I'm still recoiling from the thought of it. If End of Evangelion didn't exist, this would be real close to being the best anime movie. the BEST fucking anime movie.

I don't know if it's because I'm a degenerate, but I was uncomfortably and repulsively aroused for far too much of this film. That sort of visceral reaction is difficult to get this deep into all these years of media consumption.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 5, 2020 8:28 PM

Jun 2020
That was amazing, there was some confusing scene but it was really amazing in the end it was just all Rumi's doing, the gore was pretty amazing as well, to me it's a solid 9/10.

Nov 12, 2020 4:44 AM

Dec 2018
damn that ending!! just when i was thinking that i got it all figured out...the ending happened. idk, im still processing the ending.
Dec 7, 2020 10:58 PM

Jul 2020
Anybody heard of Death Grips? Because this shit was just as intense as a Death Grips song
Dec 11, 2020 11:20 PM
Jun 2020
Zadion said:
I watched this shit nearly a month ago and I'm still recoiling from the thought of it. If End of Evangelion didn't exist, this would be real close to being the best anime movie. the BEST fucking anime movie.

I don't know if it's because I'm a degenerate, but I was uncomfortably and repulsively aroused for far too much of this film. That sort of visceral reaction is difficult to get this deep into all these years of media consumption.

Like a week ago I Finished End of Evangelion then decided to watch this movie after seeing sum videos on it love both movies Evangelion 100% over this movie but goddamn was this shit amazing and how everything was executed just nothing short than stunning 9/10 for me
Dec 28, 2020 7:17 AM

Feb 2018
Omfg I loved this movie, I wish I had watched it sooner wtf...

The characters are amazing and I like how it all tied together

Dec 31, 2020 9:35 PM
Jan 2017
I just welcomed the New Year w/ this anime as part of my "watch a new never before seen 90s anime" new years eve tradition I do, and I gooootta say I looooved this movie. I loved this so much I looked up the director and by no surprise its the same guy who did Paprika, which makes sense cause its almost as nuts as paprika but i feel Perfect Blue goes more insane w/ the whole concept of "what is real and fake in the context of this movie?" and I looove movies like that A+, I see why this movie is on alot of people's top 10 anime movies lists ^w^
Jan 23, 2021 2:33 PM

Jun 2020
I go back and forth between giving this movie a 9 or a 10. As a kid who sometimes caught anime on late night TV in the 90's and early 00's, these are the kind of anime movies/shows that I miss from back in the day. I can't believe I put off watching this for over a year. Amazing movie.
Jan 29, 2021 2:49 PM
Aug 2020
I- :0

I'm a lil confused but that was mind blown!! it's definitely a movie I'll remember forever!

I hope i won't get nightmares tho:))
ann_sordoJan 29, 2021 2:55 PM
Feb 6, 2021 11:18 AM

Feb 2020
decent watch, I guess

Biggest strong point was from start to finish it was really engaging. There was never a point which was boring or annoying to watch.

Biggest weak point was character designs (that was shit, especially characters eyes or face)

Also By the end it plot was confusing as hell (i dont know, i should call those plot hole or narrative itself)
{Are all 3 people mima, rumi and stalker crazy? (because sometimes they act crazy and sometimes they don't)
who killed who? (by the end of the last murder, it got even more confusing especially who killed the stalker? how did he end up with the todokoro? did the dead stalker took a taxi to reach todokoro or was the stalker who tried to rape mima was hallucination and for that matter who killed todokoro?)
And I don't want to talk about the last line. I watched dub version, so I was saved.}

I am sure their were many WTF moments which i ignored.

Overall still a good movie, not the best. But it was better that what I expected (considering I am not a big dementia/psychological fan)

AdampkFeb 6, 2021 2:14 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Feb 17, 2021 9:38 AM
Jul 2016
stAtic91 said:
Oh gawd, this was so mindfuckingly (wat?) awesome. The story got a bit confusing with all the changes between reality and imagination, but I think I figured most of it out towards the end.

Watching this made me really sad that Kon Satoshi has passed away...

who is this girl... I think I have seen her somewhere in some manga but can't remember.
Feb 22, 2021 9:19 AM

May 2009
GagzxAizen said:
stAtic91 said:
Oh gawd, this was so mindfuckingly (wat?) awesome. The story got a bit confusing with all the changes between reality and imagination, but I think I figured most of it out towards the end.

Watching this made me really sad that Kon Satoshi has passed away...

who is this girl... I think I have seen her somewhere in some manga but can't remember.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/24417/Kono_S_wo_Mi_yo_-_Cupid_no_Itazura
Mar 27, 2021 11:48 PM
Dec 2018
I understand most of it in this movie than Paprika. 9/10 on my way to another Satoshi Kon films
Mar 29, 2021 4:20 AM
Sep 2015
9/10

It wasn't that hard to understand. Rumi wanted to be Mima and asked a stalker to kill the real Mima.
The real Mima never killed anyone.
Apr 1, 2021 2:51 PM

Jun 2017
I didn't expect that about Rumi. I thought Mima just gone mad!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Apr 10, 2021 2:24 PM

Mar 2021
Ayo that was a fucking ride. I was at the edge of my seat for the entire movie. Should've watched this earlier tbh.

9,5/10
“Without love, it cannot be seen.”
May 25, 2021 9:53 AM

Apr 2009
Damn, this was so confusing for no reason. Random to be edgy. I regret watching this.

The creator is out of touch from reality. No Pop Idol lives in a small apartment and goes to work on train. No victim that was stabbed so many time will just to save their attacker. No fat woman would outran and survive those jumps. Just random stuff to appear shocking.
May 25, 2021 10:08 PM
Aug 2018
Little bit confused but 9/10 from me.
Really great show imo
May 28, 2021 6:48 PM

Jan 2020
Well, that was.. an interesting experience.
I'm still trying to process the whole thing but overall the movie was pretty good.

7/10

3099May 28, 2021 6:51 PM
Jun 1, 2021 9:43 AM

May 2020
Damn, that as quite a thriller. I definitely wasn't expecting Rumi to be the one messing with Mima, although the throw away line in the middle of the movie about how she gave up her career made it all click for me.

A satisfying ending to a very uncomfortable movie. I do wish the characters were a little more interesting though. 7/10.
Jun 16, 2021 10:21 AM

Feb 2010
Im confused about one thing :

So, who is the one killed that prevert photography, screenwriter, the stalker and the boss? is it even real? are they all Rumi's doing? or is it just in Mima's head? if these are real this is so unrealistic, the police seems didn't even exist in this movie after that murder sequence and nobody seems to go through police investigation, not even Mima and Ruri.

I also don't like the twist, feels like the author just wants to add the element of surprise by making Rumi is the another crazy one (well the stalker is also creepy af). The chase feels unrealistic for fat woman to do some run, jump and acrobatic like that.... and she didn't even die (for some reason, got saved by Mima) and go through some mental rehabilitation, Mima didn't actually get fucked up in the head.

All in all a good thriller, but some distrurbing scene and some confusing unanswered scenes really make this movie not that enjoyable for me. 7/10.

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 20, 2021 5:53 AM

Jul 2019
One word. Kino.

Well, it wasn't quite 10/10 because it was a little bit drier than I expected. But overall great movie, so much weird things kept happening it was hard to wrap my head around what was real or not, maybe that ties into the surreal behaviour of this movie, something I need decipher? Maybe for another day.

I thought this was going to be more about the stalking tbh but there was a lot unpacked so it ended up being a wide range to deal with.

The explicit stabbings are kinda hard to take in sometimes. I pulled through tho, but imagine dying in such brutality with some small ass knife screwdriver looking thingy. Yeesh.

That ending tho, I can't make out whether Mima was fighting Rumi or her idol self? For another day to find out lol.

9/10.
Jul 30, 2021 11:05 PM
Feb 2020
such a great movie, I love how the edition marks the rythm of it
I'm still in process with this one
Aug 1, 2021 12:49 AM

May 2015
I feel like the screenwriter who didn't know how to end his drama series was a self-insert for the person who wrote this, because Rumi being the real mastermind all along really came out of nowhere. Why was she even doing this? The only clue I can think of were the emails the stalker claimed receiving, though considering his mental state I had assumed he was simply sending those to himself, or that it could be from someone making fun of him (haters from the concert?).

The part where they were trying to make us think that Mima was imagining she was an actress because of her trauma made more sense to me.
Aug 3, 2021 9:28 PM
Dec 2020
I dont know if I should be shocked, mesmerised or irritated by having the movie be your own interpretation. There is way too many scenarios of what ACTUALLY happened from the midpoint till the end. Im mind blown by this being a 1998 movie and the writer(s) being sooooo ahead of time by focusing on psychological effects and multiple personas and then mixing it with her acting job then doing a turn around if she saw an illusion or not. And let me not rven start on the continuous cycle of her “dream” state. Wooww I give a round of applause to everyone involved.
Aug 13, 2021 6:25 PM

Jun 2020
hmmm dafuq wuz da end doe 🤨🤨🤨🤨

@Semi-Automatic @MrBrawlz wana help a mf out?? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Sep 1, 2021 4:54 AM

Feb 2019
what an anime!

It doesn't feel like a typical anime but surreal and dark pushed to high levels. This anime reminds me of Black Swan, I can see the resemblance on the multiple personality disorder and the psychologically darkish side side of entertainment industry.

It feel strange for sure how anime as a medium can be haunting like this. In contrast to the typical fluffy anime shows, this is refreshing to see.

I'm eager to watch more Satoshi Kon's anime.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Oct 11, 2021 8:16 PM

Aug 2017
I endend this movie now and i'm like-- What?

Idk if i should be in shock, or confused, or in shock and confused. Of the middle to the end, i was just so confused with everything, and i'm still, maybe i be always confuse by this, and i never suspected about Rumi, serioulsy, i think is bc of this i became in shock! Is one of few movies/animes that makes me scared and with tension all the time.
Oct 23, 2021 3:09 AM
Aug 2021
So in the end I guess Rumi was the one with multiple personality disorder. The movie did such a phenomenal job at potraying Mimi's regret about becoming an actress. I'm SO FUCKING CONFUSED at the scenes where Mimi woke up from a 'supposed dream'!!

But anyways this movie is a total masterpiece and it was BONE-CHILLING. The soundtrack really complemented the scenes and thisovie honestly went WAY beyond my expectations. I thought that Parprika was a huge mindfuck, but this one, oh boy did it totally put me through a mindfuck!!

Satoshi Kon is goated.
10/10
Oct 30, 2021 11:15 PM
Apr 2021
I watched this movie on 2019, and now I rewatch it so I will understand what are exactly happening in this movie. In the case of Rumi, there's a line/dialogue where she suggest to Mima (after Mima's killed Uchida or the stalker) "I'm taking you back... to Mima's room (Mima no heya)" when she said this line, I'm definitely right that Rumi is the one who's responsibe for making that website and what she means "Mima's room", is her's room not Mima and then the assault of Rumi to Mima is began.
Nov 15, 2021 11:03 AM

May 2020
Won't wrap my head too much on some of those points that were there just to make us feel ambiguous, but I guess I did got who was the one pulling the strings right from the start. As for multiple personalities, seems like not only Rumi but Mima too was suffering from it.

Nevertheless, this 80 minutes felt really short and I wasn't able to take my eyes off even for a moment there. So can say it proudly it was all worth the time.
8.5/10 for now, might change it after the rewatch.
Dec 27, 2021 1:42 PM

Mar 2010
When reality and illusions come together.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 21, 2022 3:59 AM

Jul 2021
Finished watching Perfect Blue and I'm like, "wtf did i just watch" though I like the psychological element in the story, the r**e scene was quite shocking though they could've just hire another actress to do the scene, the struggle of being an actress who eventually became famous is really shown imo and this is one of the realistic ones I've seen being uncut but every-time Mima's imaginary idol appearing makes me think Mima is over-conscious and very incompetent over her surrounding but that's just a minor thing that bothers me a little. I was quite terrified in the movie when people who are associated with Mina are killed to death and the traitor was one of the interesting plot twist I've ever seen, Rumi is the antagonist the whole time but I definitely knew it at first sight because Rumi in the beginning has been conscious over Mima, so I gotta change my mind that the imaginary Mima was definitely not Mima's own vision but an unusal impersonation clone of Mima the idol back then. Me-Mania is a total freak who always stands and appear like I get he's a obsessive fan of Mima since the very beginning but his intentions left me questioning during the movie since it's unclear. The OST is so classical and though I'm not much of a fan of any JPOP girl groups during that era to where the movie was set up so it's a 9.5/10 musical score. Animation wise is unexpectedly good, I like aesthetic and the character's emotion and such makes this show very iconic. Overall, it was quite an interesting watch, but I need to rewatch it again anytime because I get really confused with the interchanging of Mima's dream and acting segments so yeah 8.5/10 for me :).
CQLLISTJan 21, 2022 4:05 AM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 29, 2022 7:01 PM

May 2014
A strange disturbing movie that needs to be rewatched. I was totally surprised and tricked. Never imagined that the maniac and Rumi cooperated and that Rumi was the wanna-be Mina. But God damn it was good. It depicted rapid job change for a celebrity in a very interesting way. Totally worth watching.

Winter said:
I started to watch Black Swan immediately after this ended, to compare the two. It only took me a second to realize what a horrible idea that was, unless I was feeling particularly suicidal today.

I totally understand. But in my case, Black Swan was easier to interpret because it was a straight timeline. But with this and Paprika, I had to read a long interpretation to actually understand what I watched and what happened. :P

outolunch said:
never would have guessed it was Rumi, the entire time I thought Mia had split personality disorder. When I saw the detective scene where they talk about that I thought it was some sort of a hint right there

I actually thought the same and that ME-Mania was the one who did the killings. I was in a for a surprise.

Mod Edit: merged posts
KayKimiiJan 15, 2023 7:11 PM
Feb 8, 2022 3:13 AM

Apr 2020
I've been trying to find a horror anime that's actually scary and struggling really hard to find one. I'm so glad I finally found it.
Apr 4, 2022 10:13 AM
Nov 2017
Incredible Movie. Can't believe i hadn't watched it until now. That plot twist with Rumi and the whole film in general was a mindfuck, but it was an incredible experience. 10/10.
Apr 7, 2022 8:36 PM

Dec 2013
I took pause breaks to breathe air in between scenes. Intense
Apr 28, 2022 7:22 PM

Jan 2021
This whole thing started out normal then we saw Mima wanting to become an actress then she got that extreme acting scene and then later those pictures were taken witch was messed up but everything started to get confusing I couldn’t tell what was real and what was fake was she hallucinating did it even ever happen is it all in her imagination that’s what I started thinking but I didn’t except Rumi to be the one behind all of this she created the website and was the person who killed everyone that was ruining or tainting Mina’s image
May 1, 2022 12:42 PM
May 2021
Woww what a good movie!! So much thoughts was going through my head when watching it, woowww 10/10 for me!!
May 19, 2022 12:59 AM

Aug 2013
This movie was crazy but the rape scene was so uncomfortable to watch but it like Mima gotten broken down both psychically and mentally give me Evangelion vibes

I rate this movie 10/10
May 25, 2022 7:37 PM

Mar 2018
This is probably the first time an anime has made me pause a bit out of pure discomfort I felt. Having grown up in the Internet Age, I've been made numb to a lot of things, the gore and rape was not an issue for me, it was the scene at 47:45. I had to pause for a minute because it just felt so uncomfortable.

This show is absolutely amazing, constantly guessing to the very end with pure feeling of discomfort I've never felt at this level before in anime. The discomfort then translating to full on screams of terror at certain jump scare-type scenes.

This is exactly how you do Psychological Horror. Nothing but mastercraft.

10/10
Celest__May 25, 2022 7:42 PM
Jun 15, 2022 8:23 PM

May 2022
This really holds up to modern anime, just cause the story is so unique. A big weakness with the older anime is most of the stories are very basic.
Jun 20, 2022 6:56 AM
Apr 2014
That was pretty damn good and quite a thriller. Really didn't expect that when I started watching it.

Some thoughts I had on this...

• A lot of the time it was really difficult to follow what was real and what not. But I guess that was their intention. And they really nailed it.

• The plot twist really surprised me. I really thought this would go "cookie cutter" into the whole idol/stalker plot line. And the end was a surprise to me as well. I really thought Mima would not survive all this.

• The final scene was a bit of a surprise as well because it pretty much was a happy end. I fully expected Mima to either kill herself, or get killed. When she jumped in front of the truck to save Rumi (for whatever reason) I really thought that's it for real now. But in the end both survived and Mima even was doing fine in general!

• The recording of the rape scene probably was just acting "without action", right? I don't know about the japanese film scene (especially not during that time) but playing it out with sex involved seems overkill for a crime series even for a time when women rights were less fought for. And that's ignoring the implication of doing that while having to act the rape "realistically" being pretty close to the actual thing. Anyway that seemed like a really important point because it more or less was the end of "idol Mima" and the final start of "actress Mima".

• The picture with the dead guy cut out from the newspaper in the elevator was pretty disgusting. Made me think even more it would go into the stalker final a bit harder. So unnerving seeing him stand there while Mima reads the article. Like a threat that she might be next...

• Throughout the whole movie I was really just hoping Mima would just finally show someone the blog. The mere fact that someone was posting in her name that she hates the roles she is filming would be a massive problem today. Even just for that she should have told her manager (in hindsight it's obvious why Rumi was so dismissive about the blog) and protect herself from not getting future roles because of something she didn't write herself. But considering the crazy guy was popping up everywhere it also became a security concern (even if she was imagining him at the time - unsure about that). Even the letter bomb and then murder of the writer where completely ignored... All that combined should have been a legal matter most definitely.

• It was crazy how she lost the ability to differentiate between reality and her acting. I guess that the acting role had exactly the same scenario didn't help much for her mental stability.

• I'm still not 100% certain she didn't kill the third guy... Even after watching it. It definitely makes more sense if Rumi killed all those people or had the stalker guy do it. But from the order of happenings there was no way for Rumi to bring the bloody clothes to Mima. But maybe she just imagined having those bloody clothes because she "dreamed" about it. Or they showed it in the "wrong order" because it would make it too obvious. Rumi could have killed him then visited Mima and just deposit it in her wardrobe.

• The paparazzi were pretty intense. And also pretty fucking rude! Without the chain they would have just swarmed her apartment.

• That attack in the studio though. I thought she would die there for sure. But also why would nobody at all be in that building anymore. Also just wait for her in front of the dresser. Mima was clearly exhausted. It's ridiculous how much her state was ignored by everyone but Rumi (who caused it in the first place). I can't describe how relieved I was when she just swung that hammer and it actually worked

• I'm wondering how the body disappeared though. Either he wasn't dead but just unconcious and went to kill the manager before finally collapsing. There was no blood either though. Or Rumi somehow hid him until she had time to kill the manager as well. But she would have to hide him before finding Mima struggling through the hall way. I'm going with the first just because it makes more sense in the timeline. Although the "are you sure you were not dreaming" by Rumi was pretty suspect considering dreaming does usually not rip off your clothes...

• The confusion was really well done. Again. I didn't realize Mima was not at her own home until she said it. I was a bit confused why it was less croweded than before and she had fish in the tank.At that point I thought maybe she imagined a lot more and didn't actually trash it before. But it explained why the blog was called "Mima's room". I even was like "why would Rumi say Mima's room like that on the drive"...

• During that chase I really thought this was it. If Rumi doesn't get her she falls off the building or run in front of a car or something... But it all worked out except for that suicidal act in the end to protect the woman that actively tries to kill her. I really did not get that. She would have been save for real. Now there always is the chance of Rumi attackign her again. Although I guess that's mostly a horror movie thing and they'll keep an eye on her in the facility.

All in all I really enjoiyed this. Scoring this is really difficult because of the intended confusion. Alternating between 9 and 10 really... Usually I'd not recommend something that is difficult to follow but in this case it definitely was intended and well orchestrated. I really should have watched it sooner. Great movie!
NanashiJun 20, 2022 6:59 AM
Jul 8, 2022 7:32 PM
Nov 2020
Finally decided to watch this movie, it's been in my watchlist for far too long,this is truly a psychological thriller
Jul 29, 2022 5:13 AM
Mar 2022
That was a mind blowing movie. great movie 9/10
Aug 1, 2022 9:19 PM

May 2020
Highly reminiscent of David Lynch's films, especially from the 2000s. Media that plays with the distinction between (in universe) reality and imagination tends to be pretty vague and ambiguous, but the ending makes a lot of sense and wraps everything up very nicely. Rumi was a failed idol that was living vicariously through Mima, but Mima changed and destroyed her perfect idol image, causing Rumi to snap and exact her revenge on everyone involved.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

22 by watsym »»
5 hours ago

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM

» Just saw Perfect Blue in theaters

Phlaryx - Sep 6, 2018

11 by yagakimilover »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.