Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2010 6:29 AM
Apr 2009
Amazing movie. Seen some reviews that rated this 8 and such, but a 10 for me. The story was well done, the ending was amazing. The theme of that virtual world and that battle character just struck with me, and it all fitted well, the music was also great, and of course the animating itself was top notch.

Great movie.
Jun 13, 2010 1:43 PM

May 2010
I felt like watching Yu-Gi-Oh at the end, except they wager accounts, not life points.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 14, 2010 7:23 AM

May 2010
Good connection between tradition and modernity mixed with MMORPG :D

great story :)

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Jun 24, 2010 7:12 PM

Jun 2008
I don't care if it's been done before, I don't care if it was predictable, this movie was really enjoyable. I loved it. The artwork was pretty, the characters were nice, I got excited and tearful, I liked it.

8/10
Jun 28, 2010 5:50 PM

Jan 2009
Damn it, OZ seems awesome, do want xD
King Kazma's awesome.
And holy friggin' shit at the final appearance of that "Love Machine"

Ahem, anyway, about the movie;
I liked it. A lot. It was great : D
I liked the concept, the art, pretty much everything.
I think I'd even go as far as to give it a 9 : p
Liked the whole thing about the OZ system having such an impact on the real world, and the interactions between the real and fictional.

Ah hell I'll just go ahead and give it a 10, then unbelievers will have something to argue about.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 2, 2010 5:48 PM

Oct 2009
This was epic). I enjoyed this a lot and my mood is up by 200% right now)).
Jul 3, 2010 4:52 PM

Dec 2009
It was great.
Lovers will love.
Haters will hate.
Like always~
Jul 16, 2010 2:31 PM
Jul 2009
Ha that was a great movie. probably really only an 8.5/10 for the predictability during the ending but I'm feeling generous and will give it a 9.

I was really surprised how well thought out the movie was. Some deep motifs can be pulled out of this such as globalization/networking. Of course the standard comedy/romance themes were present as well.
Jul 19, 2010 12:02 PM

Jul 2010
ah~ I'm a bit late on watching it. Been on hold for quite a while but..heck that was awesome. And Natsuki-chan was <333

Well, if .hack were made into somewhat a lot closer to real life-ish, then this would be it. Honestly, I'm giving it a 10 since it's better than most I've ever seen. On par with Haruhi and the works? In terms of craziness, maybe..but the heart-warming stuff that's stuffed in it..AND NATSUKI-CHAN..makes it a brilliant piece.

Studio Ghi--- oh crud no, I meant Madhouse. Thumbs up! ^^b
GingaMahouShonenJul 21, 2010 10:55 PM
Jul 21, 2010 6:25 AM

Nov 2007
Marx-Taich0u said:
Studio Ghi--- oh crud no, I meant Madhouse.

Oh no you didn't.
Jul 21, 2010 11:32 AM
Mar 2009
This was a great movie XP I give it a 8.5/10 the only thing I didn't like was Natusuki (Her VA was bad and she was hard to like)
Jul 21, 2010 4:08 PM

Feb 2010
I have to admit, I went into this movie thinking it would be bad. I've never been more glad I was wrong.

This movie is really great. From the Art and the sound, to the Story and characters. The story itself is pretty good and immersing, and the characters are well developed along with it. They actually managed to throw in bits of drama and romance in addition to the Sci-Fi and comedy aspects. That's why I found this movie highly entertaining.

I gave it a 10/10, for providing me with an excelent 1h54m experience. Really good movie. Also, the "grandmother" Sakae-san deserves a cookie for "Most-Awesome-Kickass-Granny-of-all-fking-Time"! I was really sad she died...
JonijonhJul 21, 2010 4:13 PM
Jul 24, 2010 8:29 PM

Nov 2007
My list must hate me for giving away the score of 10 easily (Which rarely happens than a blue moon). But it can't be helped! This show is just awesome! 10/10. Purely original.
Aug 3, 2010 3:29 PM

Aug 2009
This movie reached me in deep... it was freacking cool!! it's sad that there aren't asecond part or some OVA.
Aug 3, 2010 9:14 PM

Jun 2008
just finished watching this and i gave this a 10/10 for its pure awesome enjoyment it gave me throughout the movie, the family coming together to stop something from happening that could kill lives and Kenji's happy ending.

honestly this is the first anime movie/series i've seen in a while that i've enjoyed as much as i did.
Aug 7, 2010 11:28 PM

Nov 2009
With movies the excitement is taken up a bit notch. This was no exception. The implementation of the fights was a little.... O.o even more so with that card game, but the elements of the whole world backing up the family and such were actually powerful. The parallel between the baseball game and their struggle.
However throughout the movie i felt as if there was a little too much going on, partly due to the family size, but there was so many scenes that didn't really 'flow' so to speak. It made sense but it just gave me this overwhelming vibe. Hard to explain.

Gave it an 9/10 to start but after relaxing from the intense end i will end it with a 8/10 i think.
Aug 27, 2010 4:57 PM

Jun 2009
I went into this movie expecting Digimon. I got something a hell of a lot more entertaining. Man, this was a damn good movie. I even cried a few times.

Solid 10/10 from me.
Sep 4, 2010 12:51 AM

Jan 2010
I loved this, a very solid 9/10 from me.
It was great. It was a lot better than I expected.
Sep 6, 2010 12:11 AM

Aug 2008
Loved this! Felt some of this was a bit ridiculous, but I was immensely entertained. It left me with a good feeling at the end. Something a lot of movies don't right now.
Sep 8, 2010 4:58 PM

Aug 2009
宜しくお願いしまあああああああぁぁぁぁす!!

I've been watching to watch this film for SO long, but never managed to get round to it! I will definitely be buying this!

I loved the VAs. =D

It actually had me welling up at certain parts, proving I am a total softie ='[

10/10 from me. I don't give scores that high easily, but this is something I shall certainly watch again.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Sep 11, 2010 6:55 AM

Jun 2009
KOI KOI KOI KOI KOI KOI KOI

I wish I knew how to play the game, would have improved my experience a lot. The theme of family was really nice too, squid dad and awesome grandma rocks. Natsuki senpai was lovely too, very very cute. Overall this movie is a 8/10, the only problem was probably how they glorified the internet so much that it didn't feel real.
Sep 17, 2010 9:16 AM

Jan 2010
beautiful movie,and it gave me sucha heartwarming feeling :)
i'm so gonna watch this again with my family ^^

and the cute kiss at the end was just too awesome :),and grandma rules :D

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 18, 2010 8:31 AM
Apr 2009
Summer Wars has now got a Dutch fanpage on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Summer-Wars/137953766249044?ref=mf

And my score is obviously 5/5
Sep 23, 2010 9:49 AM

Mar 2009
What the FUCK. I downloaded [UTW-TMD] 1080p-release of the movie and there's some audio recoreded on it... Generally some japanese people talking and commenting the movie. The whole bloody time. All the other sounds are low, but those japs talking there are loud. Jesus christ. Well spent time of downloading.

And no, I can't seem to find any fix in the file options. Just awesome... Anyone else with this problem? Downloaded from NyaaTorrents, the 1080p release with quite little seeds.
Sep 23, 2010 10:55 AM
Dec 2008
@Poutiska Try re-encoding it with HandBrake. If there are two audio tracks, you can choose which one to make as the default. You could even attach some soft-subs to the video.
Sep 23, 2010 11:34 AM

Mar 2009
Thanks DBailey635, but downloading other release would take less time than encoding it again. Plus I'm not even quite sure how to use the program. I'll just dl some other...
Sep 26, 2010 9:09 AM
Oct 2009
That was a really amazing anime, I loved it!!!
Awesome! AWESOME!!
Oct 2, 2010 5:40 PM

Feb 2009
Nice little movie, my favorite part was when Kenji was solving the password problem mentally I was very impressed.
Oct 6, 2010 2:03 AM

Apr 2009
I just watched Summer Wars in 720p and I thought it was amazing! Straight 10/10 for me. The whole movie got me attached to the screen, there were no boring bits. I would even go as far as saying I liked Summer Wars more than the Girl Who Leapt Through Time and I thought that movie was amazing!
Oct 15, 2010 3:14 AM

Aug 2010
This movie BLEW MY MIND!!! I loved every second of it! Like seriously BEST MOVIE EVER!!! Oh and it was sad when the grandma died all of a sudden like that. I will be watching it again soon!
Oct 16, 2010 4:22 PM

Dec 2007
Again, good old festival in scotland means i got it in the cinema and damn....just wow. I had no idea what to expect, knowing literally nothing about what the film was and i came out, blown completely away. 10/10 and a must see, regardless of who you are. It was just one of those films that had to be watched in the cinema/theatre once like redline, and damn was it worth it.
Oct 24, 2010 8:58 AM

Feb 2010
WTF!!! The grandma smiled O_O
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Oct 29, 2010 7:23 PM

Feb 2010
Very interesting and unique movie indeed. It entertained me from the beginning to the end and had superb animation, so much is for sure. Some plot points and characters could've been done in a better way imo, and the whole movie was in a constant struggle between being epic and being absurd, but in the end I settled for absurdly epic. 8/10
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 4, 2010 5:37 PM

Mar 2010
This was a disappointing experience just like the time I watched ''The Girl who leapt through time''.
Also, who would have guessed that the movie would be more like a longer version of that digimon movie? Not saying that they're practically the same but some important parts of the movies were really similar.
It was a good two hour watch but, come on, it could have been better.

Now, that all that text is out of the way...What the Hell? Kazuma is a boy?! Nonsense!
Nov 17, 2010 3:40 AM

Dec 2009
The movie is pretty much average really. I don't mind the " reality " part of the movie, but the " virtual " part of the story really really sucked. The programming, coding, mathematical aspect was falsified to create those action scenes. In addition, who the hell is stupid enough to entrust an elaborate online game which has access to everything the user has? A nuclear detonation is really WAY over the top. In addition, the maneuvering of a " suicidal " satellite via GPS coordinates? There are a million problems with this, generally, or rather theoretically the satellite can determine its orbit in space, once it starts going down, the gravitational pull of the earth on the satellite in ridiculously strong, and it would be seriously impossible ( With the exception of Superman ) to change its direction, the satellite has no equipment that can induce movement, so how the hell did the satellite changed its path? Even altering it's path by 1 millimeter is difficult. And that is if the GPS is still active. I know that this is sci-fi, but please give a more thorough explanation. CGI was great, especially the rogue AI. Overall a nice idea, but poor execution.
Doubt Doubt.
Nov 21, 2010 8:42 AM
Sep 2009
I really enjoyed this movie, I was hooked right from the start. Definitely better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Nov 21, 2010 11:14 PM

Apr 2009
Awesomeness.
Nov 22, 2010 5:37 AM

Jun 2008
This just became my fav anime movie ever. Miyazaki must forgive me, but this was just soooo EPIC;D

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 22, 2010 2:45 PM

Jun 2010
Cashdaxxx said:
WTF!!! The grandma smiled O_O
IKR I was like "Did they change her picture?" LOL

But this movie was AMAZING!!! Best movie I've seen in a while.
Dec 7, 2010 3:33 PM

Aug 2009
HOLY CRAP! That was great! So much like the Digimon movie! The rabbit was badass and I would of loved to see him kick some more ass!

Looking forward to the English dub!
Dec 15, 2010 6:36 AM

Dec 2010
I really enjoyed the movie at the start, but for me it got progressively worse, to the point where it put me off. I found Natsuki's victory to be a bit too corny, and what was up at the end with blood gushing out of Kenji's nose? (-_-; )... (I do know the context of blood-noses in Japanese culture but I just found it to be a bit over the top).

Maybe I was expecting a bit too much after watching Toki wo Kakeru Shojo (a true masterpiece IMO) by the same director.

Though I have a lot of complaints I still enjoyed this movie very much. I really enjoy Mamoru's art style even though it is very simplistic. Apart from the internet/fighting scenes etc. I found the movie interesting, especially the scenes where the relationship betweeen Kenji and Natsuki develops and also the parts where we get to know Natsuki's family.
Dec 22, 2010 5:52 PM

Jun 2008
Holycrap the resemblance to THE digimon movie is ridiculous. That said, I loved that movie, and I loved this as well, even if it had almost the exact identical plot. Still, I wrestled whether to give it a 9 or a 10. Even though I laughed loads and shed a few tears or two, I think I'll stick a 9. It didn't have the umph I remembered as a kid watching Digimon. But visually, obvious it was on a totally different level. Not just the Internet scenes, but I thought how at some scenes it looked as if the family was on a stage, and the camera (lol its anime but whatever) was shifting from left to right was excellently done. It probably wasn't original (nothing ever really is) but, it was something rare and beautiful to see.

A 9 still, though, due to obvious cliches and the whole plausibility of it. And the nostalgia with Digimon was both a curse and a blessing.
Dec 25, 2010 10:01 PM
Apr 2010
YOROSHIKU ONEGAI SHIMASU!~

kawaii :3
Dec 26, 2010 3:05 AM

Feb 2009
such a crap movie but still #38.
Feb 3, 2011 4:58 AM

Jun 2010
Mediocre premise, but the execution was amazing. So amazing that Hosoda forgot to include any character development at all. Nevertheless, an excellent film, albeit with a somewhat disappointing ending.

And any movie that makes me emotional deserves a 10/10, so yeah, if you're the sentimental type, have a box of tissues ready.

Feb 6, 2011 6:51 PM

Oct 2010
Bland story, uninteresting characters, and beautiful animation.
Gave it a 6 because it was pretty and gave me something to watch when I was bored.
Feb 10, 2011 12:20 PM
Nov 2010
5/10 cuz it's madhouse and nice animation, but everything else is mediocre.

overrated movie, I was expecting much better from Madhouse.

Heck, the World of Warcraft episode of South Park was more enjoyable that this and they didn't had to rely on cheesy drama and uninteresting characters to make it look epic.
SuperSaiyenFeb 15, 2011 7:02 AM
Feb 13, 2011 12:50 AM

Aug 2008
Velcor said:
Bravo. Everything was excellent. Everything. This is the first time I literally cry when watching anything anime.

YESS! I wasn't the only one to cry~
Feb 13, 2011 5:47 AM

Feb 2008
Eh, it was decent. Kind of disappointing though from all the people recommending it. I was expecting more, but it's not like it was bad or anything.

6/10
Feb 26, 2011 1:09 AM
Dec 2009
Navarr said:
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, thought maybe because I haven't watched anything similar yet.

Anyone else notice that all of the computers were running Windows 7? Subliminal Advertising?

If you noticed there's a ton of little bits of advertising. There was a mac in there as well, the BMW symbol on the little kids overalls that had the green DSi, the Mazda and how every car you saw from the inside was a Mazda and so on. Probably made bank off that.

Anyhow, I thought it was a fun anime to watch. I enjoyed the fact that there were multiple characters and not a main character, but I don't think a lot of people saw the reasoning behind it. You don't need a main character for something to be enjoyable, but if that's all you're able to focus on then that's fine I guess, though it'll leave you out to dry sometimes. It was more about interaction and groups than it was about a single person.

Overall was enjoyable. It was a nice throwback to the Digimon movie as well and the art wasn't the usual types of art styles that are extremely common within anime. It was also easy to see how a social networking program could become something like that in the future. Everyone does love ease of access and use.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM

» Is Summer Wars Any Good?

Atomsk_ - May 1, 2014

31 by Monarch9 »»
Mar 8, 2020 8:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.