Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 21, 2009 10:23 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Just watched this and came back from the theaters. Good thing they released this one in Korea almost simultaneously :)
So, has anyone else seen it?

Not gonna say much, but overall I liked the movie. Though the middle part it kinda did feel a bit boring... but oh well, I'd have to understand it's to get the tension higher for the climax :P

I REALLY REALLY was reminded of Digimon Adventure - Bokura no War Game watching this movie, (which is by the same director fyi) ...the OZ world itself, the line colors in the world (brownish red) and the overall setting- how the computer system gets compromised and leads to world crisis... was kinda nostalgic. :)

The interesting thing is how there is really a mobile service provider named OZ (=LG Telecom's 3G network) in Korea. No wonder why they took the chance to advertise their logo along with the distributors' and MADHOUSE logos in the beginning.. XD

summary of the whole story in one sentence:
zvucAug 22, 2009 1:03 AM

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Aug 22, 2009 11:52 AM

Oct 2008
I haven't see it yet, but I'm waiting in anticipation. I've been looking at fanart and googling my favorite torrent sites all day. I guess it'll be a while before the raw hits the internet...
Aug 22, 2009 6:23 PM

Aug 2009
What do you mean by koi koi? Also is it as good as last their last film (girl who lept though time)?
Sep 16, 2009 3:41 AM

May 2008
For me, it was as bad as TGWLTT. Or maybe a bit worse, but still enjoyable on a rainy day with nothing else to do.
So you'll probably like it if Hosoda's plain characters with no real depth or background appeal to you.
Oct 2, 2009 4:46 PM

Oct 2008
Still waiting for subs :/
<('-'<) <( '-' )> (>'-')>
Oct 18, 2009 11:12 PM
Sep 2008
I just watched this. Even though my Japanese isn't so great, I could understand what was going on just fine.

I thought it was really intense. Seriously, during the action scenes my eyes were just so wide. Way, way better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. And it very pleasantly reminded me of Bokura no War Game.

I really loved it.
Oct 21, 2009 11:51 PM

Jul 2007
It was totally Bokura no War Game with its own take, and I LOVED IT. XD~~~ Definitely want to show my parents this one, so I'm hoping for a bluray release with subtitles so they can see it. I'm rather saddened there wasn't a bluray release for tokikake in the US... I can deal with DVD, but it's just so much more stunning to see it in high definition. I might just go for a fansub encode that'll play on PS3s instead in that case +___+;

Not that I need the subs myself, but to show the family and the rest of the people who need them, I do need them then... XD
- blog
DeviantArt | Domain | Ryuu-Rogue fansubs - Digimon + Inazuma Eleven
Oct 23, 2009 10:15 PM

Aug 2009
Its alright, not as good as the girl who leapt through time though. My expectations were abit high for it but it was around there. Didnt like the digital world fights though, its too similar to digimon in a way. As said before theres too many characters so the focus isnt there except for the main character. Overall it's a good movie but definately not at the top in a sense.
Nov 3, 2009 9:41 AM

Oct 2008
Any subs yet?
<('-'<) <( '-' )> (>'-')>
Nov 25, 2009 9:50 AM

Jan 2009
Subs (859 MB) and .ass are out at TokyoTosho.
Nov 25, 2009 11:04 AM

Jun 2008
-
Kiku-chanDec 20, 2009 6:36 AM
Nov 25, 2009 3:11 PM

Jan 2008
Vinhthehero said:
Subs (859 MB) and .ass are out at TokyoTosho.

Video quality blows. Deleted within 5 minutes. A better copy must be pending. Superimposing the .ass over the Korean hardsub looked terible. besides that, it was a poorly executed upscale.

I want to watch it. I'll wait for a worthwhile copy.

Edit - Months later -2010-2-28- I watched a DVD rip of good quality, but still with the hangul hardsubs. What an excellent anime! Obaasan was a perfect anime character of the strong woman.
datsunvicFeb 28, 2010 11:48 AM
Nov 25, 2009 9:58 PM

Jan 2008
Pretty poor really. No real main character and with so many things going on all at once, it just felt like a mess. Art and sound design were poor also, especially the choice of VAs.
Story was barely passable but stupid really. Who in the right mind would entrust a social networking tool important country infrastructures anyway? It's like using Facebook to control the world.

All in all, a poor movie and rubbish when compared to his previous work.

/What's the deal with Kenji looking the same as Makoto?
aeroNov 25, 2009 10:01 PM
Nov 26, 2009 6:17 AM

Dec 2007
I really liked it. I was able to follow everything that was going on pretty well, and while the whole premise is really farfetched, I think the movie worked just fine.

Personally, I've always liked the plain character designs. Helps me relate better to the characters when I'm not being distracted by giant hair accessories, outrageous costumes and a rainbow of hair colors. Eye candy is great and all (and this movie had plenty of it in the OZ scenes) but the prettiest thing in the world doesn't save a bad story. And this wasn't a bad story.

I'd definitely watch it again with friends.
Nov 26, 2009 6:32 AM

Oct 2008
aero said:
Pretty poor really. No real main character and with so many things going on all at once, it just felt like a mess. Art and sound design were poor also, especially the choice of VAs.
Story was barely passable but stupid really. Who in the right mind would entrust a social networking tool important country infrastructures anyway? It's like using Facebook to control the world.

All in all, a poor movie and rubbish when compared to his previous work.

That's funny because some of the biggest flaws in the story you pointed out were exactly why I enjoyed this movie. There not being a main character made the movie able to capture a greater since of community. As for the social networking argument, what's difference between that and lets say the pentagon who's security has been breached on more than one occasion. All computers that are connected to the net are vulnerable, even ones that are not can be compromised with a little old fashion espionage.

The whole crazy A.I. is basically a rip off of the Lawnmower Man mixed with Digimon like character designs apparently, but TGWLTT was basically a different version of the Butterfly Effect, so it's not a big surprise here.

As for the art, you forced me to go back and look closer and I can't exactly argue with you on that point. The 3D backgrounds were beautiful, but the 2D character incorporation wasn't done well at all. Madhouse should have subbed the animation work out to Studio 4°C IMO.

Overall though the movie was very enjoyable and left me very satisfied after watching. So it wasn't a waste of time in my book. It had me smiling most of the movie with it's interesting, although static characters and the story had my imagination running wild about the possibilities this story could go in the beginning. The portrayal of the family and how it was used in the end to portray the human race as one big family seemed the obvious goal of this movie and I think it did get the message across in an interesting way.
Nov 26, 2009 11:50 AM

Jun 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, thought maybe because I haven't watched anything similar yet.

Anyone else notice that all of the computers were running Windows 7? Subliminal Advertising?
Nov 26, 2009 8:30 PM

Nov 2006
I am blown away by this film. I went into it with sky-high expectations and was not disappointed. I was tearing up throughout the second half of the movie to the end, I was so overcome with emotion from the whole thing.

I can't even type anything coherent about it, I'm still so in the moment. Definitely buying this, and I never do that.
Nov 27, 2009 4:00 AM

Jan 2009
Again, Mamoru Hosoda and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has left me in awe.

My high expectation were paid well. I know this is so similar with Digimon Bokura no War Game, but still, this has it's awesomeness on another level. I'll give a 20/10 for this movie

Goin' to wait for BD rip~
Nov 27, 2009 12:57 PM

Nov 2007
Got to say, this movie was very pleasing to watch.
Like the art design, due to not being like all the shows out there right now.
The character were alright,
the concept was awesome, lol.
Reminds me of Digimon movie back the the 2000s, or earlier, forgot lol, with computer hacking and virtual fighting.
Great stuff
Nov 27, 2009 3:26 PM
Dec 2008
A great film with a good plot, but let down by having a few too many characters. The animation was fantastic and the CGI scenes were never overdone, despite being this film's raison d'être. Still, because of it's origins, I can't help myself but give it a 9 out of 10.

Mamoru Hosoda needs to back away from sci-fi for his next project, or else he runs the risk of loosing the ability to create emotional connections between characters and audience. A film needs soul, and he seems to be forgetting this.
Nov 27, 2009 5:06 PM
Nov 2007
Yeah, this was an enjoyable movie. I'm really looking forward to be seeing this in 1080p later.

kimatg said:
I REALLY REALLY was reminded of Digimon Adventure - Bokura no War Game watching this movie, (which is by the same director fyi) ...the OZ world itself, the line colors in the world (brownish red) and the overall setting- how the computer system gets compromised and leads to world crisis... was kinda nostalgic. :)

Yes, I was reminded of that as well. Didn't know the director was the same though.

Maybe I should dig out my old VHS tape of that movie (and two others) though there's only the Swedish dub on that one.

Nov 27, 2009 10:54 PM

Sep 2008
Definitely saw the Digimon in this, but it was still beautiful. I thought the incorporation of the huge family was great, having a contrast to what Kenji had experienced, no matter how insignificant that point was. It just goes back to show that their family tree is huge and those resources they were able to gather up was because of the size.

The sound was one part I sort of didn't like, but it wasn't any different from TGWLTT, so I was fine with it. Overall, it was really refreshing and enjoyable, so I can't help but love it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2009 8:45 AM

Oct 2008
Glad I watched it, it was a really good movie!
Nov 28, 2009 2:20 PM
Mar 2009
Is there a website where i can watch it, without downloading it? If not, when will i be able to?
Nov 28, 2009 7:03 PM

Apr 2007
I'd been looking forward to watching it since it was announced and finally had the opportunity today.

I was not disappointed! It followed basically the same plot as bokura no war game, but I loved that movie too so it was nice to have another version of it :)

Nov 30, 2009 5:04 AM

Jul 2009
A good episode but I was a little disappointed with Kenji role. I'm expecting him to be the 'main hero that save the world' but his role is divided with Kazuma and Natsuki. Also there are some thing that confuse me, but overall still a good one.Not as good as TGWLTT though.
Nov 30, 2009 9:02 PM

May 2009
Nephtys said:
A good episode but I was a little disappointed with Kenji role. I'm expecting him to be the 'main hero that save the world' but his role is divided with Kazuma and Natsuki. Also there are some thing that confuse me, but overall still a good one.Not as good as TGWLTT though.

I actually enjoyed the joint effort required to save the day, especially since "family" was such a central element throughout the film. And this in no way undermined Kenji's last minute heroics, as any member of the Jinnouchi clan present at the compound that day would attest.

Loved Natsuki's avatar, both of them. Among the cutest I've ever seen.

Kenji's nosebleed (the big one) was pretty cute in its own way and damn funny. "Wimp!!" XD

Not having seen Bokura no War Game, the thing that repeatedly jumped to mind while watching this was the live action American film, War Games, which came out back in the early 1980's.

Overall, the film was extremely entertaining and I'll definitely look forward to whatever Hosoda & co. come up with next.
Nov 30, 2009 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
Nice. It was an enjoyable watch. It reminded me of Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo for the obvious reason (that I found out later) of the same character design and in a way Honey and Clover because of Wabisuke.

I love the mansion! I like to stay in place like that for some time, so open air. The flowers and landscape was awesome.
Dec 1, 2009 2:50 AM
Oct 2008
Wonderful movie, Love how it was placed together! Although the version of the subs I had was a bit slow, I really enjoyed it! TOTALLY reminded me of Bokura no War Game on how they defeated the evil one! Other than that, It was a great movie! Recommended for most viewers. I don't care what you say... but it give it a 10/10!
Dec 2, 2009 1:24 AM

Jan 2009
in enjoyed watching this movie never thought a social networking website can much impact how society works in the near future great stuff!!!

9/10 for me
Dec 2, 2009 3:46 AM

Feb 2009
When people started giving her their avatars it was so touching ;(
Anyway imo it was very good movie :)

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Dec 2, 2009 4:55 AM

Apr 2008
woo =D great movie ... love it xD

Dec 2, 2009 1:04 PM

Mar 2008
Totally loved it. Unique and EPIC. Caught me by surprise
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2009 11:00 AM

Jul 2008
Wow! Absolutely loved it! I'd say it was pretty much on par with The Girl Who Leapt Through time. What an enjoyable film - definitely worth the wait.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 7, 2009 8:40 PM

Mar 2009
I really enjoyed it, although I don't think I was open enough for it, I was expecting something similar to TokiKake, so I was little disappointed and am having a tough time rating it. I will have to watch it again real soon.
Dec 9, 2009 8:09 AM

May 2009
Wow, it was pretty good. Very energetic at times, especially near the end :D
I didn't imagine it would be like this at all, more like the usual anime summer story, but i'm glad it surpassed my expectations :)
It would be cool if something like OZ really existed :P
Dec 9, 2009 3:05 PM

Oct 2008
start out great but so dissapointing in the end
Dec 11, 2009 3:22 PM
May 2008
It was awesome, especially when u are surrounded by crap anime in this season and there are just a few ( or just a one ) recommendable, so u should take into consideration watching it :)
Dec 12, 2009 1:29 AM

Aug 2006
Bravo. Everything was excellent. Everything. This is the first time I literally cry when watching anything anime.

Dec 12, 2009 6:52 PM

May 2009
Wow, the way I see this movie is... That this s a giant message to the US government that they are complete idiots. And, this could happen :3 the internet can and will control the world. Then something might hack it and cause everything to go insane. :3
Dec 16, 2009 11:15 AM

Oct 2008
Loved it! too awesome
10/10

Edit: but I gotta say, that cop guy was funny at first then started to get hella annoying.
paskyxDec 16, 2009 11:24 AM
じーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーっ
Dec 16, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2009
agreed, especially when he tried to cool down the deceased grandmother with blocks of ice that were practically keeping the supercomputer running...

Dec 20, 2009 4:50 AM

Jun 2007
XxsamurixX said:
Wow, the way I see this movie is... That this s a giant message to the US government that they are complete idiots. And, this could happen :3 the internet can and will control the world. Then something might hack it and cause everything to go insane. :3

If it wasn't the US it would have been some other country. The blame should really go to the creator. Giving a program the ability to think for itself without any emotions or failsafe is as good as pulling the trigger yourself. I think that was one of the points they where trying to get across.

Overall the movie was pretty damn good. I was hoping for a little more but it was definitely worth the watch.
Dec 20, 2009 3:30 PM
Dec 2007
windy said:
I am blown away by this film. I went into it with sky-high expectations and was not disappointed.

Definitely one of the pinnacles of the 2000's animation movies. Even Pixar and recent Ghibli movies pale in comparison with this masterpiece. The script is packed with action, emotions and creativity like never before, the characters are numerous and incredibly well-developped, everything is perfectly well-directed and feels just right. Well, it's just a pure comedy/family/SF entertainment blockbuster like we very rarely see these days. Ah, should Avatar have been a quarter as good as this...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 26, 2009 3:36 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
GOD THAT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD!!

windy said:
I am blown away by this film. I went into it with sky-high expectations and was not disappointed. I was tearing up throughout the second half of the movie to the end, I was so overcome with emotion from the whole thing.

I can't even type anything coherent about it, I'm still so in the moment. Definitely buying this, and I never do that.
YES!! i'm going to buy this too.
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 27, 2009 12:38 AM
Nov 2007
The premise was rather cliche, but was developed well throughout the movie. I thought it was good, but definitely not mind-blowing. Definitely not something that tops a Pixar/Disney or a Studio Ghibli film. It's a good watch nonetheless. I rated it an 8/10.
Dec 28, 2009 4:03 PM

Jul 2009
radiantfire said:
The premise was rather cliche, but was developed well throughout the movie. I thought it was good, but definitely not mind-blowing. Definitely not something that tops a Pixar/Disney or a Studio Ghibli film. It's a good watch nonetheless. I rated it an 8/10.

+1

And even though it's an anime, the fact that the fate of the entire world rests in the hands of a single family isn't very believable and feels that it's been done a lot of times before. Aside from that, none of the characters really stood out for me as well.
Dec 29, 2009 10:05 PM

Jun 2009
1st impression: Almost 4 minutes of introduction about this Virtual game OZ.. but if I didnt see the cover I might had dropped this one..

Seems okay the animation is good, the art esp. the sharpness is like those Tv series back in the 90's. Natsuki's kinda cute so, I'm still here.. Kenji's arms blush lol, weird but funny. What I like about the setting, the big house w/ everything in it.. it's not like those settings that you do daily task everyday.. but here it's very fun to see everyone doing lots of things. Those kids are cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute! playing water gun, naked kid running "mommy" I thought that, the intro was just a minor thing, until that math problem thing came up.. so it seems pretty interesting. But how they control to play isn't normal, I'm feeling it like typing what you need to do, but its cool. Like the professionals.

It was teary when he got arrested and yet thanks everyone for that time. "I would love that moment too, here =("

I'm halfway now but I get this feeling that the culprit was Wabisuke

Overall, its okay I'm at the 1hr mark.. now it's getting serious and I wanna stop, but good thing the preparation for war is amazing. And those kids brighten up the mess =) and also the beginning of war

OMG "you've watched 72mins pls wait for 54mins" but its 2hrs how can that be possible.. =(((((
ZinvyDec 30, 2009 1:38 AM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jan 6, 2010 11:09 PM

Apr 2009
The fact that people keep comparing this to Bokura no War Game only makes me want to see this more... L> Raw not plagued by Korean hardsubs...
Jan 8, 2010 6:19 PM

Apr 2008
I thought it was good. Definitely reminded me of Digimon, especially towards the end when everyone around the world helped them out.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM

» Is Summer Wars Any Good?

Atomsk_ - May 1, 2014

31 by Monarch9 »»
Mar 8, 2020 8:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.