Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2010 11:29 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
nice episode

i'm gettin damn annoyed by these dutch voice actors.
they suck soo fkin hard..

even the dutch VA over here are way better and they also suck...

so next episode is gonna be about the forwards
Aug 29, 2010 12:10 PM

Jan 2008
This is getting worse and worse. It seems that mangaka couldn't decide whether GK should be a realistic or 'supernatural' (Tsubasa) anime. The result is that I don't really know what's this show about.

Sports? Not really, no tactics whatsoever. Boring presentation of matches etc.
Drama? That's probably it revolves about internal conflicts and personal dramas. Too bad the level of drama is so bland and uninteresting.

And I really wanted to like this show, being football fan for like 20 years now.

2/5 for the episode

6/10 for the show so far

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Aug 29, 2010 1:03 PM

Jul 2008
I don't think the Anime revolves on Drama, They're showing how the players are evolving during each games and showing how they suck before Tatsumi came. But - They're not showing much about the game though. I wanna see more soccer

I just noticed that the fans are really hardcore and angry! They'd probably kill and eat someone who'd say ETU sucks lol.
Aug 29, 2010 2:32 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
How is enjoying the match going to cause a sudden comeback? That just earned this anime a shounen tag.
Aug 29, 2010 5:37 PM

Nov 2009
KuroDubZero said:
How is enjoying the match going to cause a sudden comeback? That just earned this anime a shounen tag.

lol. Yeah, i might of liked this if it was more realistic. I mean when you have NO scenes off the field you might need it. It feels like i am watching poorly framed games. The only reason it has a 7 instead of a 6 so far is because it actually has intense moments.
Aug 29, 2010 5:58 PM

Aug 2007
They are really starting to drag this out. They going to suddenly get superpowers and win it all in the last ep or something?

Aug 29, 2010 6:32 PM

Sep 2008
Have you guys even seen any other sports Anime? -_- They are meant to inspire and motivate and show the development of the characters through the games. Sure maybe they won't achieve that for you but it is aimed at a Japanese audience, quite possible those of younger age too. This show isn't doing anything different to most other Sports Anime's though.

I think the only thing that annoys me is that Tatsumi should be making some sort of plan. I can understand his motives but the way he causes them to happen just kinda feels a bit stupid I guess.
Aug 29, 2010 7:51 PM

Nov 2007
Looks like the last four eps are gonna be about this match, too. I'm not surprised since somebody mentioned that the manga for this match ended up being three volumes worth!

GINOOOO! Finally a decent pass, and lmao @ the look he gave Natsuki. And with the transformation of Sugi and a couple of the others, looks like ETU are starting to rev up and begin their fight back. :3 I'm excited.

kashim said:
This is getting worse and worse. It seems that mangaka couldn't decide whether GK should be a realistic or 'supernatural' (Tsubasa) anime. The result is that I don't really know what's this show about.

Wait, what? How is this a "supernatural" anime in any way?
Aug 29, 2010 8:49 PM

Aug 2008
kashim said:
Dunno why you say this... The only thing I know is that GK have always been a pain to animate... if you dont believe me then tell me why the soccer videogames developers have invested YEARS, ages, to make them realistic... I see no point in your statement

Sports? Not really, no tactics whatsoever. Boring presentation of matches etc.
Drama? That's probably it revolves about internal conflicts and personal dramas. Too bad the level of drama is so bland and uninteresting.

And I really wanted to like this show, being football fan for like 20 years now.
It is about soccer ne? It is about a sport... so... They might be abusing with all those build ups and the presentation, but common it is the most realistic soccer Manga/Anime series Ive ever seen in my entire life so it is needed, all this drama and personal conflicts, and it is just as velcom said, theyre meant to motivate people, especially those who play soccer, and obviously maybe us that we are so used to soccer and its problems are not that surprised with we are watching ne? Personally I found it refreshing since its an Anime we are talkign about here... maybe it doesnt have the punch, but it is an amazing thing. Football fan huh? I am one too... and I-m fully enjoying the show

Besides that I found the whole thing interesting since looks like ETU is finally catching up to the tune they should work with... Wha I mean? well looks like they are finally doing what they should be doing.... messing with the other teams enemies and enjoying the game... I do agree with Tatsumi... those who enjoy play better and if they are really having fun those will be the best playes... They are finally understanding that...

And so looks like next chappie will be about Forwards, especifically Natsuki... and looks like ETU will score a goal next episode... WOnder who will score... Natsuki in one of his weird plays, or Tsubaki in his permanent wild run... Or Gino with one of his surgical shots... or surprising us Sera... Well one thing is certain, a goal will fall... Oh Gino... LOOOOL at Ginos face when Natsuki failed to do something good with the ball XD..

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2010 11:22 PM

Mar 2009
Tatsumi never actually comes up with specific/proper plans. It's more like he's relying on the team to work things out on their own or by thinking positive. Kinda unrealistic to me.
Aug 29, 2010 11:23 PM

Jan 2008
Two clarifications

@yamakasi
By supernatural, I mean soccer anime like Captain Tsubasa or more general one, like Dash Kappei!

@rebwaters
GK - Giant Killing ; I know about goalkeepers, played various versions of Winning Eleven ;)

Overall, I know that it is a sports and a shounen, but compared to other titles it's clearly inferior. One Outs has helluva lots of tension (albeit it's not 100% sports shounen) and Hajime no Ippo has lots more explanation and signs that author knows what he's writing about. So no, GK isn't a good sports anime (imho)

Aug 29, 2010 11:39 PM

Jun 2009
Well that is the first time I've seen Gino pissed. Most of the time, it looks like he doesn't care.

I don't know about you people but I'm enjoying this than other Football anime that I've watched before because it's all about teamwork and good coaching, and not because of some super special moves or a super human player though given benefit of the fact that it suffers from the typical shounen genre. Still pretty good show.
Aug 29, 2010 11:49 PM

Dec 2007
AlexSadist-sama said:
Tatsumi never actually comes up with specific/proper plans. It's more like he's relying on the team to work things out on their own or by thinking positive. Kinda unrealistic to me.
His plan for this game was for them to defend with all they got in the first half and have Gino make terrible passes to make Osaka think that Gino was having an off-game and that he wouldn't be a threat. Not to mention he wanted discord amongst the Osaka forwards (such as Hauer being really ticked off by the end of this episode). So it's not like Tatsumi doesn't come up with plans. That's actually pretty much all he does. He's just not a big believer in half-time speeches.

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed with this episode. Despite all that fire and enthusiasm in the locker room the only player who seemed to has changed his style is Sugie. He finally figured out that he needed to put pressure on Kubota and not just let him dance around the field.

I mean, if Natsuki has troubles making decisions on who to pass to, then why put him in the center? Why not have him on the side with Sera at the center? Only thing I can think of is that Tatsumi sees potential in Natsuki and wants him to overcome this issue, but this really is not the time or place for that imo.
Aug 30, 2010 12:51 AM

Nov 2007
kashim said:
@yamakasi
By supernatural, I mean soccer anime like Captain Tsubasa or more general one, like Dash Kappei!

I still don't really understand what you mean (or the references), but I'm guessing something like "the players suddenly have amazing powers and are really strong/fast/can score every goal they try" or something like that? If you do mean that, then I would have to say that Giant Killing is not trying to be that kind of sports anime. It's more about how the players make mistakes and learn from each other as well as Tatsumi. So, to me, it would be more "realistic" than "supernatural" (if I'm right with what I think you mean by "supernatural").

kashim said:
Overall, I know that it is a sports and a shounen, but compared to other titles it's clearly inferior. One Outs has helluva lots of tension (albeit it's not 100% sports shounen) and Hajime no Ippo has lots more explanation and signs that author knows what he's writing about. So no, GK isn't a good sports anime (imho)

Well, I agree with this, mostly. Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of sports anime, but Giant Killing hasn't been the best that I have seen. (So far, that would be Over Drive). Then again, it definitely isn't the worst sports anime out there. I would say that it's average, and depending on the remaining eps, bordering on better-than-average. The important thing is that it be entertaining, which it is.
yamakasiAug 30, 2010 12:56 AM
Aug 30, 2010 4:36 AM

May 2008
They are finaly fighting back now if only Natsuki would pass the ball faster , he is making Gino mad XD

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 30, 2010 8:00 AM

Jan 2008
@yamakasi
yup, powers etc. And for realistic aspects of the show, they're too far fetched but we will be able to assess it in full only after the show has finished airing.

Aug 30, 2010 8:34 AM

Jan 2009
cool episode and lol at the people wanting realism on anime even in sports movies like the movie Coach Carter you actually believe its for real? eventhough Coach Carter is base on true story i doubt their is more realism to it
Aug 31, 2010 1:00 AM

Aug 2010
@ Kashim :wait a minute,have you ever seen a football game involving a major club,like Inter Milan, Barcellona or Manchester United,and a minor team,like Bari,Getafe or Birmnigham? It's ALWAYS a one-side match. EtU is just a little team who is playing against a top(Osaka in this case). That's why this anime is well-done and realistic. In real life is difficult ETU could have won a match like this,but not impossible
Aug 31, 2010 6:49 PM
Jan 2010
KuroDubZero said:

And the idiot of the day award goes to you. I guess you have never played a sport in your life, and probably just watch sports anime because you look for realism. It's funny you are even looking for realism in an anime where the most popular anime's are about killing people with a Notebook, A Highschool Kid with superpowers, and a Teacher who can jump off the top of buildings and still survive.

First off let me teach you a little lesson about playing sports since you must be an ammature. When you are not enjoying the sport you are playing as you are playing it, are you bound to play better or worse? Rhetorical question don't answer.

I have played Soccer, I have bowled in Leagues, I have ran track, and I have wrestled, and when I am having fun and not frustrated is easily when I have done my best. All Tatsumi is implying is not necessarily that they will be the winners, albeit it's what he wants badly, but that the players will not be winners if they don't know how to change their attitude and enjoy the game.
Sep 1, 2010 12:30 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
ZweiTheBadAss said:
KuroDubZero said:

And the idiot of the day award goes to you. I guess you have never played a sport in your life, and probably just watch sports anime because you look for realism. It's funny you are even looking for realism in an anime where the most popular anime's are about killing people with a Notebook, A Highschool Kid with superpowers, and a Teacher who can jump off the top of buildings and still survive.

First off let me teach you a little lesson about playing sports since you must be an ammature. When you are not enjoying the sport you are playing as you are playing it, are you bound to play better or worse? Rhetorical question don't answer.

I have played Soccer, I have bowled in Leagues, I have ran track, and I have wrestled, and when I am having fun and not frustrated is easily when I have done my best. All Tatsumi is implying is not necessarily that they will be the winners, albeit it's what he wants badly, but that the players will not be winners if they don't know how to change their attitude and enjoy the game.

First of all I'm curious of how you came to this sudden conclusion of me never playing sports? In all my twenty three years on this earth, I'm completely illiterate to sports? Seriously...and on top of that you assume telling me your athletic history solidifies your opinion? Well it doesn't and you playing sports doesn't make your words anymore meaningful. Your hypothesis about winning is completely biased.

back to the main topic Tatsumi didn't give a sermon before the match or even words that of encouragement. He simply said enjoy the match? Really? So now because we're suddenly enjoying the game were going to crush a team that has never been defeated? If that doesn't scream SHOUNEN then you obviously haven't seen enough shounen anime to understand my statement.

Normally I would just ignore this, but being called a idiot by some random noob/half-wit for simply expressing my opinion, doesn't leave me feeling the least bit happy. In the future you should learn to chill and type more steadily you ammature, No I mean you Amateur.
Sep 1, 2010 4:41 AM
Jul 2008
Wow so much complaining -_-

Put whatever label on it as you very well damn please, if that'll make you happy.
My own personal fact is that I LOVE this anime. And I don't care for labels. And the only complaining you'll hear from me is if they don't make 2nd season.

~~~
Back to episode 22.
Gino is awesome. That's all.
Sep 2, 2010 9:56 AM

Jun 2008
Meri said:

And FABULOUS~
Sep 3, 2010 10:56 AM
Aug 2010
KuroDubZero said:

back to the main topic Tatsumi didn't give a sermon before the match or even words that of encouragement. He simply said enjoy the match? Really? So now because we're suddenly enjoying the game were going to crush a team that has never been defeated? If that doesn't scream SHOUNEN then you obviously haven't seen enough shounen anime to understand my statement.

While I would agree with you about ZweiTheBadAss being unnecessarily rude, I think you´re missing the main point.

There IS a plan. The PLAYERS know about it.
The viewers(me, you, everyone here) are the ones who don´t fully understand it yet.

You have to keep in mind that the team has been preparing for this match for DAYS. It´s pretty obvious that the "general plan" has already been presented for them several times. Tatsumi just doesn´t like to repeat himself during the match, and the author CLEARY likes to keep his readers/viewers in the dark until the last moment.

There are some guys here who are acting like this is the first "long" game in this season. It is not.

We had the Tokyo Victory match AND the Nagoya Grand Palace match. In BOTH of them, we´ve seen well displayed tactics(exploiting Mikumo´s pride, exploiting Itagaki´s lack of experience in his new position, making Carlos move up on the field on purpose to weaken the defense...), and in BOTH games, the readers/viewers just got an explanation AFTER such events took place.

I fail to see why the Osaka Gunners match would be any different.

kashim said:

Sports? Not really, no tactics whatsoever.

...you do know that, putting Murakoshi´s epic second goal against Tokyo Victory aside, ETU didn´t score a single goal against stronger teams in this show without using some sort of trick or setup?

No tactics? I really don´t know what you´re talking about.

kashim said:
6/10 for the show so far

Meh. The anime adaptation really is inferior to the manga(which is PURE AWESOMENESS), but I think it deserves a 7.5, at the very least(with the manga being a solid 9).
Tensai_SakuragiSep 3, 2010 10:59 AM
Sep 3, 2010 11:37 AM

Feb 2007
Meri said:
Wow so much complaining -_-

Put whatever label on it as you very well damn please, if that'll make you happy.
My own personal fact is that I LOVE this anime. And I don't care for labels. And the only complaining you'll hear from me is if they don't make 2nd season.

~~~
Back to episode 22.

I have to completely agree with this.
Especially the part about Gino being awesome.

For those of you that think Tatsumi has no "plan," isn't it obvious as hell he told all the players before the game (and they are withholding from laying out Tatsumi's plans so obviously to the viewers to make it more interesting?)

Watching Giant Killing is not like watching real soccer. It is the game from a completely different angle.

I WILL BE SO SAD IF THERE IS NO SEASON 2!!
Sep 4, 2010 7:56 AM

Feb 2008
It's amazing how people think motivation = shounen. I'm serious. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. Giant Killing is far from a shounen. Tatsumi doesn't necessarily believe his team will win, but as long as they band together and figure out what plays are helping and what isn't, that's all a true coach cares about. How is this anime unrealistic? I'd say their season is pretty realistic to me, considering some of the talent they do have and some that is well, working its way up. It's just amazing how people think if one team who has struggled beats an undefeated a team, it's a shounen or unrealistic. Have you never seen a comeback in REAL sports? Does the 1980 men's hockey Olympic game (Russia vs the US) ring any bells?

As for the episode, this shows that they have learned their mistakes. Now they need to fix their offensive problems, but with Natsuki as the main forward, it's going to be difficult.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Sep 4, 2010 12:53 PM
Dec 2007
Sloppy and unrealistic sports episode as usual. This series is going down each time it's coming to an actuall football match, and this match in particular is extremely painful to watch.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 5, 2010 12:32 AM

Jul 2008
well, time for a comeback
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 5, 2010 12:13 PM
Sep 2007
The problem with Giant Killing as always been the pacing of the matchs, they go to fast or drag on to much, with that one magic play. They just leave you waiting for that one amazing play its horrid waiting for it.

Thats why most sports anime are 50+ or have more then one season.Giant killing as so much going for it with characters and so on, it really started out good and very enjoyable. Then it went flat and never made a good come back. When I started this show I was thinking, I couldn't give it below a 7 as a score, but I don't know now. Going to pick up the manga, it has to be 1000x better.
Hi
Sep 7, 2010 2:38 AM
Sep 2009
Enjoying the games does help you win a match comparing to those who does, it gives players boost of energy to make the extra effort. ETU still can win this game, they got great striker Natsu, great passer, Gino and the fast wing Tsubaki... next is to see how the other players work with them.

Right now the defense picked up the pace of Gunner's striking team, and Sugie will probably drain Kubota's enjoyment he got there in the first half. I can clearly see this game on ETU's side. The last thing they need should be time.
Sep 7, 2010 11:38 AM

Jun 2008
Tatsumi is more like a psychologist than a coach.

Tensai_Sakuragi said:
KuroDubZero said:

While I would agree with you about ZweiTheBadAss being unnecessarily rude, I think you´re missing the main point.

There IS a plan. The PLAYERS know about it.
The viewers(me, you, everyone here) are the ones who don´t fully understand it yet.

You have to keep in mind that the team has been preparing for this match for DAYS. It´s pretty obvious that the "general plan" has already been presented for them several times. Tatsumi just doesn´t like to repeat himself during the match, and the author CLEARY likes to keep his readers/viewers in the dark until the last moment.

That's a little bullshit though because no matter the preparation, a coach always changes tactics depending on the events developing on the field. Especially if his team is losing 2-0.
MonadSep 7, 2010 5:07 PM
Sep 7, 2010 2:45 PM
Aug 2010
Monad said:
Tatsumi is more like a physiologist than a coach.

(...)
That's a little bullshit though because no matter the preparation, a coach always changes tactics depending on the events developing on the field. Especially if his team is losing 2-0.

That was the point of that entire scene, actually.
Everyone was expecting Tatsumi to CHANGE tactics, but he didn't. If you watch that scene again, you'll see that he even tells them that "Osaka didn't leave the pitch without also taking damage".

In other words: stick to the plan. It IS working, you guys just lost sight of that because we're losing.

And I agree about Tatsumi: despite what he says, he loves psychology. Even as a player, he loved to mess with his opponents by using mind tricks(as shown in the manga).
Sep 12, 2010 4:59 AM

May 2008
Personally I'm enjoying this match a lot~ :P Maybe because I'm a shounen fag~~
sayamiSep 12, 2010 1:44 PM
Sep 13, 2010 10:16 AM
Jan 2010
KuroDubZero said:
ZweiTheBadAss said:
KuroDubZero said:

First of all I'm curious of how you came to this sudden conclusion of me never playing sports? In all my twenty three years on this earth, I'm completely illiterate to sports? Seriously...and on top of that you assume telling me your athletic history solidifies your opinion? Well it doesn't and you playing sports doesn't make your words anymore meaningful. Your hypothesis about winning is completely biased.

Normally I would just ignore this, but being called a idiot by some random noob/half-wit for simply expressing my opinion, doesn't leave me feeling the least bit happy. In the future you should learn to chill and type more steadily you ammature, No I mean you Amateur.

No, you just have a tendency to complain a lot, the fact of the matter is you're looking for realism in an anime. And my apologies for misspelling amatuer, I am glad you found that one flaw as noone else has ever misspelled a word before after all. And if you have seen the previous episodes, which I hope you have, the plans Tatsumi relays to the team are never shown but explained during the game.

Mada Mada Dane.
Sep 15, 2010 7:31 AM

Sep 2009
What's important that is all of Gino, Kuroda, and Sugie got back on their feet.

so it's only natural that ETU might present us with something different in the second half, the only problem remaining is Natuski and how he will overcome Osaka's defense.
Oct 3, 2010 9:19 PM

Aug 2010
First of all, if you guys have so much to complain about, why the hell are you watching all the way to episode 22? If you don't enjoy this series, quit watching it.

Anyways, I personally liked Tatsumi's halftime advise. If they stick to his well thought out plan and are optimistic about it, I'm sure they have a good chance to make a comeback in the second half. After all, we still haven't seen ETU at its full potential.
Oct 16, 2013 3:52 PM

Jul 2012
Slow episode, but interesting development. Yes, Gino is awesome.
Sep 7, 2014 7:31 PM

Apr 2014
Gino's pass <3 That was beautiful.

sayami said:
Personally I'm enjoying this match a lot~

^
Dec 17, 2015 1:14 PM

Jan 2010
hmm...i wonder how are the boys gonna turn this around
I don't know why you guys complain. Sometimes it's better to let the players sort their stuff out

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 20, 2015 7:57 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
This game is beginning to turn like Dragon Ball Z. 3 episodes for just a 45 min first half.

Natsu blew that nice chance. He has Sera and Akasaki wide open. As a forward, they must be quick to think.

Sep 15, 2020 4:22 PM

Dec 2007
i actually thought that they going to give us some mindfuck cliffhanger, but their offence is just bad.

good though they hanged the defence, but the pace kinda bothering me...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

throwaway513846 - Apr 11, 2010

59 by Ten »»
May 17, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 5 Discussion

throwaway513846 - May 2, 2010

45 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 16 Discussion

helur - Jul 18, 2010

28 by cableguyjay »»
Sep 11, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 17 Discussion

BitchMaster - Jul 25, 2010

29 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Mar 19, 2023 10:04 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kagura89 - Apr 4, 2010

99 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 29, 2023 6:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.