Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 10:33 AM

Feb 2024
Since the other thread got a lot of complaints I dercided to make a separate thread. I think Black Jack OVA has really good animation.
Sep 13, 10:37 AM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/320/A_Kite
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 13, 11:09 AM

Mar 2021
Cyber City
Gunsmith Cats
Key The Metal Idol
Genocyber
Gunbuster - it's from the 80s, but it's amazing with great animation.
I love long running anime + ecchi manga + potatoes = gimme some
Sep 13, 11:29 AM

Apr 2019
Best anime tiddies in a 1990s OVA goes to Satoshi Urushihara for Plastic Little (1994).

Sep 13, 11:32 AM

Aug 2024
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory and Gundam 08th MS Team
Sep 13, 12:32 PM

Sep 2024
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Dai 08 MS Shoutai
“Everyone has a right to pursue a happy life.
The difficult part is to be given that right.”
Frederica Bernkastel
Sep 13, 2:16 PM
Apr 2024
Mobile suite Gundam 0080 war in the pocket
Sep 13, 2:42 PM

Jul 2024
Genocyber for me,albeit not so much for the animation but for concept & execution
Can I Still Go To Heaven If I Kill Myself?
Sep 13, 6:33 PM
Jul 2024
El Hazzard OVA was SIMPLY gorgeous. Gunsmith Cats also gets the nod.
Sep 13, 8:55 PM

Jul 2024
FLCL (Fooly Cooly) - .
Gunbuster
Gumsmith Cats
Bean bandit
Battle Angel Alita
3x3 Eyes -
Angel cop -
Genocyber -
Sep 13, 9:17 PM

Sep 2008
@beugmeister That was on my mind first thing before I seen you posted it.

Still, another title coming to mind that's probably among the best animated I've seen for the decade in the OVA format is Macross Plus.
Sep 13, 11:55 PM

Mar 2021
JoeChip said:
90s OVA with the best animation

Without a doubt the original "Agent AIKa" OVA from the late 90s would be one of them. At the time not only was it considered one of the pioneers to the Ecchi genre, but also the animation was state of the art for it's time period in a general animation sense nearing the end of the strict use of traditional celluloid animation.

"Agent AIKa" basically revolutionized the use of panty fanservice in action Anime ever since from extremely creative perverted camera angles to the explicate attention of detail in portraying action sequences in very creative provocative ways. The panty fanservice in "Agent AIKa" was just so obnoxiously over the top that it automatically comes across as comically sexy to a vast majority of viewers when experiencing it for the 1st time. Either that or it automatically comes across as extremely appalling to those who don't like panty fanservice in Anime. lol

One such as myself can't help but appreciate this flagship from Studio Fantasia when it was still at it's peak as an Animation studio in my opinion.

Though in general most OVAs from the 90s had the best animation in my opinion. The 90s was just a really special time period for me when it came to Anime and a majority of the Anime I was able to get my hands on at the time in the West were mostly just OVAs and Movies on VHS.
ColourWheelSep 14, 12:16 AM
Sep 14, 12:08 AM

Jun 2024
No one mentioned this Ova Giant Robot: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Man! The animation is so so good.
Kirika_MadeleineSep 14, 12:12 AM
Sep 14, 12:10 AM

Jan 2009
Giant Robo gets my vote too bad it has an open ending
Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to RainyEvenings
FLCL (Fooly Cooly) - .
Gunbuster
Gumsmith Cats
Bean bandit
Battle Angel Alita
3x3 Eyes -
Angel cop -
Genocyber -
@RainyEvenings

FLCL is from 2000 and Gunbuster and Riding Bean are from the 80s
Yesterday, 3:34 PM

Jul 2024
Reply to JoeChip
@RainyEvenings

FLCL is from 2000 and Gunbuster and Riding Bean are from the 80s
@JoeChip why are you picking on me for? Others like Ania_bh have said Gunbuster but you have decided to quote me and not others..

I sense animosity from you towards me, not the anime I posted because others have mentioned those anime too.
Yesterday, 5:04 PM

Sep 2019
From the ones I've seen I'd say Trust and Betrayal, Macross Plus and Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket were also pretty good.
Yesterday, 5:19 PM
Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Oct 2013
While it's impossible to pick up one OVA from 1990s with undoubtedly the best animation, since there were so many of high quality ones, the first show that came to my mind after seeing this thread was [yrl=https://myanimelist.net/anime/320/A_Kite]A Kite[/url]. Definitely an anime for adult audience, due to violence and sexual themes. It has marvelous direction, great animation (in action-centered scenes and those that are calmer), and its soundtrack easily builds up the atmosphere presented by this anime.
Today, 12:02 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to ColourWheel
JoeChip said:
90s OVA with the best animation

Without a doubt the original "Agent AIKa" OVA from the late 90s would be one of them. At the time not only was it considered one of the pioneers to the Ecchi genre, but also the animation was state of the art for it's time period in a general animation sense nearing the end of the strict use of traditional celluloid animation.

"Agent AIKa" basically revolutionized the use of panty fanservice in action Anime ever since from extremely creative perverted camera angles to the explicate attention of detail in portraying action sequences in very creative provocative ways. The panty fanservice in "Agent AIKa" was just so obnoxiously over the top that it automatically comes across as comically sexy to a vast majority of viewers when experiencing it for the 1st time. Either that or it automatically comes across as extremely appalling to those who don't like panty fanservice in Anime. lol

One such as myself can't help but appreciate this flagship from Studio Fantasia when it was still at it's peak as an Animation studio in my opinion.

Though in general most OVAs from the 90s had the best animation in my opinion. The 90s was just a really special time period for me when it came to Anime and a majority of the Anime I was able to get my hands on at the time in the West were mostly just OVAs and Movies on VHS.
@ColourWheel This anime! I heard this name long, long ago, but at some point I forgot it, without giving it a try. I didn't know it was that much influential when it comes to the ecchi genre, even though I think I read about it being fairly popular back when it was released. While I don't watch ecchi shows that much often, I always appreciate watching high quality works.

Your post has motivated me to give it a try at last. Thank you for the recommendation. :) After completing its first episode, I must say that I noticed the things you mentioned in your post. But what grasped my attention the most was production quality of this anime. Really good animation and direction, blending well with ecchi and crazy themes, but without focusing only on them.
Today, 1:04 AM

Feb 2014
@Jonas-K
I became aware of it because of Mahoutsukai Tai! vs. Shamanic Princess, and this artstyle/design seems pretty nice.
Care so sell me on it?
Today, 2:52 AM

Mar 2021
Adnash said:
ColourWheel said:

@ColourWheel This anime! I heard this name long, long ago, but at some point I forgot it, without giving it a try. I didn't know it was that much influential when it comes to the ecchi genre, even though I think I read about it being fairly popular back when it was released. While I don't watch ecchi shows that much often, I always appreciate watching high quality works.

Your post has motivated me to give it a try at last. Thank you for the recommendation. :) After completing its first episode, I must say that I noticed the things you mentioned in your post. But what grasped my attention the most was production quality of this anime. Really good animation and direction, blending well with ecchi and crazy themes, but without focusing only on them.

Without the existence of "Agent AIKa", it's likely what I like to call some of the most well known action type franchises with ample panty fanservice wouldn't be the same as they are today. Just off the top of my head with such titles as "Ikkitousen", "Kiddy Grade", "Air Master", "Rosario + Vampire", "Sekirei", "Strike Witches", "Queen's Blade", "Freezing", etc... and it goes without saying without the success of "Agent AIka", Studio Fantasia would have likely never produced "Najica Blitz Tactics" either.

"Agent AIKa" has even influenced well known long running trashy Ecchi franchises from even "To LOVE-Ru" to "High School DxD". Basically any time there is any ample amount of detailed panty fanservice in any modern Anime, chances are that Noriyasu Yamauchi was working on the animation team to some capacity. Either that or he has highly influenced the animators working on the projects when there is likely detailed panty fanservice involved. Sadly MAL doesn't always credit every Staff member working on an animation project for each title. I know for a fact Noriyasu Yamauchi has worked on far more projects than what MAL gives him credit for in the Database. It's the one thing that is always extremely incomplete about the MAL database. Though it's likely the average MAL Users doesn't give a shit or even care about the obscure OGs in the industry. lol

Though, it's great to hear my post influenced you to finally watch "Agent AIKa" and I hope you enjoy the rest of the OVA. I own the "Agent AIKa" OVA on VHS tape volumes, Laserdisc set, the OVA ported on DVDs in the early 2000s, the remastered edition released in the late 2000s on DVD, as well as an unopened limited edition DVD box set that supposedly comes with a cheap pair of Aika's nylon panties as swag (I don't even know exactly what they look like because I have never opened it to this day). As far as the best way to watch this Anime, the Laserdisc copies I own are still even better than the remastered DVD edition that I ended up buying in the late 2000s. For some odd reason celluloid animation is still usually 100 times better of an experience watching it on Laserdiscs than even Anime that gets remastered on DVDs or even Blu-ray.
ColourWheelToday, 3:27 AM
Today, 3:06 AM

Jun 2016
Any work by Umetsu. His 80s stuff before the hentai era were great too, such as Time Stranger, Robot Carnival, and Megazone 23.
Today, 3:11 AM

Apr 2011
Nobody mentioned JoJo yet? I say JoJo, then. Great work by Hiroyuki Kitakubo and his team, even had Satoshi Kon on it.
10 hours ago

Feb 2024
Reply to RainyEvenings
@JoeChip why are you picking on me for? Others like Ania_bh have said Gunbuster but you have decided to quote me and not others..

I sense animosity from you towards me, not the anime I posted because others have mentioned those anime too.
@RainyEvenings

You are the only one who wrote multiple OVAs that was made in other than the 90s and Ania_bh already wrote an explanation about Gunbuster . Nothing personal here.
10 hours ago

Jul 2013
I don't watch 1990s OVAs. They are not worth the effort.
10 hours ago

Feb 2024
Reply to DesuMaiden
I don't watch 1990s OVAs. They are not worth the effort.
@DesuMaiden

Dont you ever get tired of low effort trolling
9 hours ago

Mar 2023
The Record of Lodoss War in my opinion.
6 hours ago
Jul 2024
I'll go ahead & give a vote for Shamanic Princess. Also, the First Tenchi Muyo OVA.
5 hours ago

May 2018
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Arslan Senki (the OVA version)
Roujin Z
Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki
Orguss 02 OVA
Iria: Zeiram - The Animation
Aozora Shoujotai
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Burn-up W
Mahou Tsukai Tai!
Tetsuwan Birdy (the OVA version)
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Geobreeders: File-X Chibi Neko Dakkan
Melty Lancer
4 hours ago

Jul 2024
Reply to JoeChip
@RainyEvenings

You are the only one who wrote multiple OVAs that was made in other than the 90s and Ania_bh already wrote an explanation about Gunbuster . Nothing personal here.
@JoeChip no need to repeat myself if you already see Ania_bh's explanation
4 hours ago
Nov 2022
8 man after is underrated and has good fight scenes

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1344/Eightman_After?q=8man%20after&cat=anime
4 hours ago

Mar 2022
Reply to Spunkert
The Record of Lodoss War in my opinion.
@Spunkert

Good call. I forgot it was OVA.
With one of my favorite opening songs.

More topics from this board

» Fall 2024 ( 1 2 )

Serafos - Aug 20

52 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
1 minute ago

» Can people who pirate anime be considered anime fans? What do you think? ( 1 2 )

RainyEvenings - Sep 10

66 by Yuno »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Trend Towards Darker Themes in Battle Shonen

Quadruple_Oi - 6 hours ago

21 by Quadruple_Oi »»
17 minutes ago

» Has the art "quality" of anime today declined significantly compare to the old classic? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plusme - Sep 4, 2012

587 by GinInYourJuice »»
33 minutes ago

» Is your waifu 4k or 8k?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

2 by Mualani »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.