Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 27, 12:47 AM

Jan 2009
so thoughts? and do not forget to vote in the poll
Jul 27, 1:02 AM

Mar 2008
I dont know what to think anymore. I dont feel safe in general anymore, online or not.
Jul 27, 1:04 AM

Feb 2020
I'm not paranoid online or just do not care much.
Jul 27, 1:05 AM

Sep 2016
Would say rather low overall, but I became more paranoid of bots and trolls.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 27, 2:52 AM

May 2024
I used to be a bit paranoid when I was younger, now I've just stopped caring.
Jul 27, 3:13 AM

Jun 2024
I'm paranoid on Instagram because I feel like some of my creepy high school or even college mates are lurking and stalking me, whoever they may be.
Jul 27, 4:23 AM

Jan 2008
Reply to Mualani
I'm paranoid on Instagram because I feel like some of my creepy high school or even college mates are lurking and stalking me, whoever they may be.
@JustMaya Well you gotta be pretty cute for people to want to stalk you. Are you cute enough for that?
Jul 27, 5:21 AM

Dec 2021
His influence...

...it grows stronger.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. πŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 27, 5:45 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Mualani
@JustMaya Just post the link here, and your problems with highschool/college stalkers will be solved. I call it a substitution principle.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jul 27, 6:02 AM

Sep 2016
JustMaya said:

Creepy stalkers sounds so pessimistic, I think you should call them secret admirers. Having some of them is proof of having a high value, so you should feel popular instead of paranoid.
Jul 27, 6:11 AM

Oct 2009
I'm too paranoid to share my paranoia levels with the internet. I have no idea what you guys are going to do with my paranoia levels and that makes me paranoid.

Jul 27, 6:14 AM

Jul 2013
I use Linux because I don't like the NSA seeing everything I do on my computer.
Jul 27, 6:20 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden are you hiding something illegal? why care if not? are you a very important person VIP perhaps?
Jul 27, 6:25 AM

Oct 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–€β–€β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–€β–€β–€β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–„β–„β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘
░░░░░░▐▐░░░░░░░░░▄░▐░░░
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–€β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘
░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░▐░▄▄▀░░░░
β–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–„β–€β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–„β–‘β–‘β–€β–„β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–„β–€β–β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–ˆβ–β–€β–€β–€β–‘β–€β–€β–€β–€β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–ˆβ–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–β–ˆβ–β–„β–‘β–‘β–€β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–‘β–β–‘β–ˆβ–„β–„β–‘β–‘
β–‘β–‘β–‘β–€β–€β–‘β–„LINUX▄░░░▐▄▄▄▀░░░

Jul 27, 6:31 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to deg
@DesuMaiden are you hiding something illegal? why care if not? are you a very important person VIP perhaps?
@deg i am not hiding anything illegal, duh. Besides pirating some anime. Just because I wanna protect my privacy online doesn't automatically make me a cybercriminal.
Jul 27, 6:32 AM

Feb 2020
I'm much more concerned about offline stuff, it's kinda justified paranoia though.
The whole tell a lie for long enough that it becomes the truth stuff really works...

Jul 27, 6:32 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
@deg i am not hiding anything illegal, duh. Besides pirating some anime. Just because I wanna protect my privacy online doesn't automatically make me a cybercriminal.
@DesuMaiden if youre on the internet your privacy is basically expose and collected anyway no matter what you do

youre too paranoid about online privacy
Jul 27, 9:09 AM
危γͺγ„γŠε…„γ•γ‚“

Nov 2016
Idc anymore since we cant open map, order thinngs etc unless with permit access location lollll

Jul 27, 7:44 PM
α•™(⇀‸↼•)α•—

Aug 2014
To some degree, yes, to some degree, no.
Jul 27, 9:29 PM

May 2013
Online is like irl for me in that I fear being confronted about my mentally ill cringe arc.

BPD really fucks a bitch up ngl.

β™‘ Harder Daddy β™‘
Jul 28, 4:32 PM

Sep 2019
Barely if any, maybe I've just been lucky but I've yet to been doxxed or scammed or anything like that, hopefully I'm not jinxing myself tho lol
Jul 28, 4:34 PM

Jul 2013
There are alot of hackers online. Btw these hackers are real. They could easily hack into your accounts, if they wanted to.
Jul 28, 4:42 PM

Dec 2021
Might as well chip in this, too. Fun fact, data brokers already have all your personal data, and are legally selling it. As it's being sold legally, random people can buy this info legally, and use it to dox nearly everybody whom they want to, if the motivation is there. Obviously using this legally obtained info for illegal purposes is, duh, fucking illegal, but something being illegal doesn't stop people from doing it anyway. This is how a lot of doxxing occurs, because the means to get the data is basically legal. You can opt out of this, making it legally mandatory for the data broker to delete any data they have on you, but good luck opting out of every single data broker without a fancy service that may still miss some.

Like really, good fucking luck opting out of them all.
Daviljoe193Jul 28, 4:49 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. πŸ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 28, 8:11 PM

Oct 2022
Idc if paranoia, but I’m aware that companies try to take as much information of myself so they can push their services. It doesn’t even has to be good, just good enough that I want to use them. Windows is one of them: really mid OS (windows 11) that is trying to spy as much as possible to form data about you and put it into a prediction model.

It is also well known that social media group people and target publicity, sometimes to offer them products other to show them certain information and affect their opinion on the matter.

Would I just cut everything? No, but I can minimize it with alternatives that are really good like forums, alternative search engine (like Brave) or alternative OS like Linux.
Jul 29, 8:35 AM

Jul 2013
No offense, but you simply aren't secure if you surf the Internet with Windows. It is only safe to surf the Internet with Linux.
Jul 29, 4:53 PM

Nov 2022
i've been cautious since i started. seen too much to not care. and i just so happen to use Linux (Mint).

Edit: mitigations against tracking do exist. not a fan of defeatism.
xfwm4Jul 30, 1:41 PM
ultrasonic sound coming out your speaker / the force is electric
Jul 29, 5:02 PM

Jul 2013
No reason to be paranoid online...because there are obviously no hackers or FBI agents on the Internet. Just joking! There are OBVIOUSLY hackers and FBI agents on the Internet.
Jul 30, 4:03 AM

Oct 2015
I find the constant paranoia about online privacy to be a little odd. Most people wouldn't pay a $10/mo premium to be fully private. Closest analogues are VPNs which most do not pay to use. And many who do, do so to access other regions' Netflix shows and shit.

Let's be real, privacy, as observed by most people's own actions, doesn't matter *that* much. It matters at the margins, like "would you give your full name for this social media site for this perk!" probably not. But not "I have to use gnu distro and tor browser" and all that jazz.
Jul 30, 6:16 AM

Sep 2016
The fact that DesuMaiden didn't vote for the NTHE option, indicates that he doesn't even believe his own bullshit, lol.
Jul 30, 6:26 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Zarutaku
The fact that DesuMaiden didn't vote for the NTHE option, indicates that he doesn't even believe his own bullshit, lol.
@Zarutaku lol nice one good catch there
Jul 30, 7:21 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku Is it possible to see who voted what? How?
Jul 30, 7:22 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@LoveYourSmile At least until very recently, there were zero votes for the NTHE option, even after he left his obligatory comments, so...
Daviljoe193Jul 30, 7:29 AM

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 30, 7:32 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@LoveYourSmile When I wrote my comment there were 0 votes for the NTHE option even after he replied 5 times in this topic already, now he probably read my post and changed his vote to not expose himself.
Jul 30, 7:42 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Zarutaku
@LoveYourSmile When I wrote my comment there were 0 votes for the NTHE option even after he replied 5 times in this topic already, now he probably read my post and changed his vote to not expose himself.
@Zarutaku True desu should have voted for some other option to mislead fbi/csi...
Jul 30, 7:57 AM

Jul 2013
There are definitely hackers and law enforcement on the Internet. So watch out!
Jul 31, 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
I've always been pretty paranoid about my personal information or accounts, but I'm too ignorant of internet technology to turn into a sociopath with a bunch of different accounts and a complex proxy system.
Jul 31, 3:22 PM

Jul 2013
To be on the safe side, you should refrain from posting anything online that can easily be traced back to your IRL identity. So that means no photographs of your face, never post your real name, never reveal your city of residence, never reveal your birthday, etc. There are dangerous cybercriminals lurking on the Internet, who are looking for your personal info to steal.
Jul 31, 3:38 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to DesuMaiden
To be on the safe side, you should refrain from posting anything online that can easily be traced back to your IRL identity. So that means no photographs of your face, never post your real name, never reveal your city of residence, never reveal your birthday, etc. There are dangerous cybercriminals lurking on the Internet, who are looking for your personal info to steal.
@DesuMaiden I said it before, and I'll say it again. One of the many data brokers...

...already have your personal info, which is so identifiable that you'd likely wonder how it's even legal for them to sell it like it's candy. If someone wanted to, they could buy my info from one of the thousands of brokers, and find out every house I ever lived at (Along with every fibre of my travel history), nearly everything I've ever bought, what websites I browse, literally everything. No amount of using Linux or blocking ads will change that your info is already out there.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jul 31, 7:52 PM

Oct 2022
With an anonymous account that I have like on mal I obviously don't like to over share but it not because of paranoia. There just no reason to share certain information on a site like this made for anime. Besides it better to stay anonymous on sites where everyone else is anonymous as well.

Daviljoe193 said:
Might as well chip in this, too. Fun fact, data brokers already have all your personal data, and are legally selling it. As it's being sold legally, random people can buy this info legally, and use it to dox nearly everybody whom they want to, if the motivation is there. Obviously using this legally obtained info for illegal purposes is, duh, fucking illegal, but something being illegal doesn't stop people from doing it anyway. This is how a lot of doxxing occurs, because the means to get the data is basically legal. You can opt out of this, making it legally mandatory for the data broker to delete any data they have on you, but good luck opting out of every single data broker without a fancy service that may still miss some.
Lol they're going to have a fun time actually trying to do something with my data.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Aug 1, 5:00 AM

Jan 2018
more like it's better to hide your tracks because they are going to censor everything. if you watch something but the money isn't going to them then high chance it's gonna get taken down.
Aug 1, 8:57 AM

Oct 2009
Reply to Daviljoe193
@DesuMaiden I said it before, and I'll say it again. One of the many data brokers...

...already have your personal info, which is so identifiable that you'd likely wonder how it's even legal for them to sell it like it's candy. If someone wanted to, they could buy my info from one of the thousands of brokers, and find out every house I ever lived at (Along with every fibre of my travel history), nearly everything I've ever bought, what websites I browse, literally everything. No amount of using Linux or blocking ads will change that your info is already out there.
@Daviljoe193 It doesn't mean much if the data isn't aggregated properly. I get some of the dumbest ads imaginable on Youtube. That'll probably change with AI and quantum computing though. Then it'll get scary.

Aug 1, 2:16 PM

Jul 2013
Don't worry. I am fairly certain none of us here are actually wanted by the FBI or some other law enforcement agencies lol. I am fairly certain that the cops aren't interested in any of us here lol.
Aug 2, 5:54 AM

Oct 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
Don't worry. I am fairly certain none of us here are actually wanted by the FBI or some other law enforcement agencies lol. I am fairly certain that the cops aren't interested in any of us here lol.
@DesuMaiden That's easy for you to say. You use Linux! The rest of us knuckle dragging Windows users have to contend with the NSA snooping through all our pirated anime. Windows was supposed to make computing easy. Now I have to go to court >_<

Aug 2, 11:14 AM

Oct 2022
You think I give one fuck if someone finds me. I'm not scared of you. Come at me, see what happens. You really think I'm going to be 'scared' on the internet. That I won't show my face because I'm a wimpy otaku? I've had stalkers for years come at me I would love to see you try. I'm not going to safeguard my information like it's some top secret thing. That's so lame.
Aug 2, 11:36 AM

Nov 2020
Pretty paranoid at this point. Made a fair amount of edgy jokes and don't care to be associated with that stuff anymore, especially because it's harder for me and other people to recognize humor than I thought.
Aug 2, 12:08 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think anyone is trying to build a profile of me online tbh.

More topics from this board

» Have you seen furries in real life?

Mualani - 1 hour ago

7 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
44 seconds ago

» Are you a language snob?

Anjuro - Yesterday

35 by Anjuro »»
4 minutes ago

» Is music going downhill?

Sad - Aug 30

49 by JaniSIr »»
17 minutes ago

» Why do users care so much about explaining all the details of how they rate stuff?

PxHC - 5 hours ago

9 by RainyEvenings »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you drink? ( 1 2 )

EmiliaHoarfrost - Aug 28

51 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.