Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 16, 7:57 AM

Apr 2010
Well a proper ending to a interesting anime.
It was nice to see the entire family coming over a christmas and it was also nice to see the last moments.
It wasn't as sad as expected.
The couple had a nice ending of there lives and the last period of their lives was nice.
A lot is wrong with growing old but if we could grow old with the body of a 20 year old no one would mind, the only bad thing that remains is losing people which is never nice.
Jun 16, 7:59 AM

Dec 2021
A big reunion for the finale.

As the year draws to a close, the Saitou family is busy preparing for the New Year. They make mochi, shovel snow, and build a giant snowman for their grandchildren, keeping Shouzou and Ine very busy. At the end of the year, Ine's sister Tsuru, along with their children and grandchildren, gather at Shouzou's house to have a grand ol' party with sake and all.

Was fun to see everyone in one place one more time, and Tsuru definitely has the moves when it comes to playing hanafuda lol. I'm glad to see Mino and Shouta getting closer now that they're on a first-name basis and all. That post-credit scene showing them married was amazing. Ngl, the entire scene with Shouzou and Ine under the tree kind of made me tear up. I'm gonna miss seeing these idiots every week.

The best way I can put this show is that it's basically like Howl's Moving Castle—a fun and quirky show that I'll will miss dearly.

Jun 16, 8:10 AM

Feb 2021
I thought that the manga is still ongoing, and well, I was right, but the last chapter, which this episode adapted, was released 2 days ago on the 14th. I didn't actually expect an ending like this T_T. The manga version also showed their photos near a memorial altar dedicated to them, I wish they included that too.

8/10
Wholesome and bittersweet :)
The manga has 198 chapters though, so I guess there is a lot of stuff which was left unadapted. Or maybe not that much, each chapter is 4 pages long after all.
Jun 16, 8:26 AM

Jul 2017
The New Year's Winter Break is around the corner, and both Shouzou and Ine...in their old age, speak much of their youthly effort.

Even the other elderly couple has the same energy as the Saitous, and Kousuke is such a weirdo for a kid his age. And as expected of New Year gatherings, all the men and ladies have their own group moments, though Ine shows off her wealth of knowledge enough to have a mother's harem, she's a Holy Mother. Though it's interesting for Shiori to learn both Shouzou and Ine's version of social media through cards and the like, it's an eye-opening moment.

With the family visit over, both elderly parents are left alone with Mino and Shouta to prune the apple orchard, though Shouta can be taken in as the Saitous' grandson naturally at this point, because both elderly people could be gone at any time. Leaving the grandkids to the orchard, both Shouzou and Ine take their time resting in their date to reminisce the moments of the people around them, as they approach the final moments of their lives.

This show is life intended for a second chance, but to give the fact that we should cherish life in the now, before it's too late. A heartwarming journey from start to finish.
Jun 16, 8:35 AM
Aug 2022
There was proper ending of this anime. Will not ever forget the story of Grandpa and Grandma.
Jun 16, 8:37 AM

Jan 2012
And so we end with New Years celebrations, Jiisan and Baasan reflecting on life and family, and the cycle beginning once more.

You know, I still remember reading the first few chapters of this way back when it was first coming out. But I never really thought it would get an anime adaptation. I'm glad it did however as this was a pretty cute and comfy series all in all. A feel-good series. Even the deaths of the main characters in this finale aren't really presented as a sad thing. I'd have watched more but considering that ending that seems unlikely. Regardless, solid 7/10.
Jun 16, 8:40 AM

Jan 2022
A family gathering was a great way to end this anime. G-pa has some serious snowman building skills.

Oof grandmother Tsuru's card scene was sad, she just wants to be told she's doing a good job.

Kousuke is such a brat lol and I'm still confused about who Akemi Saitou is.

400 cards is insane, at least they were printed this time. The Shouzou fan club card was hilarious

There were some cute moments between the grandparents, Shouta, and Mino. I'm glad we got updates on the rest of the family too.

What I didn't understand is why they didn't flip the sand clock to lie as older people again because time would be gained if you switched to being younger again. I mean I know it was too late because Ine broke her clock, but still. At least they passed away peacefully while holding hands underneath the golden apple tree, truly the most fitting way for them to leave.

Naaah, I teared up when we saw old Mino and Shouta. I wasn't expecting that and now they're going to become young again. Crazy that Shouta's teeth stayed like that

This was a fun anime and I'm going to miss it to be honest! It was a unique and interesting premise. Although, it was much more enjoyable at 1.2x speed lol 7/10 for me
cooldogmomJun 16, 8:43 AM
This never updates so that's cool
Jun 16, 8:45 AM

Mar 2021
This was a very special and beautiful finale episode. Seeing Grandpa and Grandma sharing their last moments together holding hands was so heartwarming and sweet and Seeing Mino and Shouta as a old married couple was nice they were always a cute couple.
Jun 16, 8:48 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to cooldogmom
A family gathering was a great way to end this anime. G-pa has some serious snowman building skills.

Oof grandmother Tsuru's card scene was sad, she just wants to be told she's doing a good job.

400 cards is insane, at least they were printed this time. The Shouzou fan club card was hilarious

There were some cute moments between the grandparents, Shouta, and Mino. I'm glad we got updates on the rest of the family too.

What I didn't understand is why they didn't flip the sand clock to lie as older people again because time would be gained if you switched to being younger again. I mean I know it was too late because Ine broke her clock, but still. At least they passed away peacefully while holding hands underneath the golden apple tree, truly the most fitting way for them to leave.

Naaah, I teared up when we saw old Mino and Shouta. I wasn't expecting that and now they're going to become young again. Crazy that Shouta's teeth stayed like that

This was a fun anime and I'm going to miss it to be honest! It was a unique and interesting premise. Although, it was much more enjoyable at 1.2x speed lol 7/10 for me
cooldogmom said:
What I didn't understand is why they didn't flip the sand clock to lie as older people again because time would be gained if you switched to being younger again.

Because it doesn't work like that; the bottoms of the hourglasses had holes, so the sand would eventually run out no matter what they did. Flipping the clock just lets them store some time to use young bodies rather than old ones, it doesn't extend the lifespan in any way.
Jun 16, 8:50 AM
Sep 2021
This episode was a lot emotional, hit's like a truck. Time is short, make sure you enjoy every bit. This was a good slice-of-life show with regression mixed with it.
Jun 16, 8:51 AM

Mar 2013
Oh damn, I was under the impression the manga was still running but it looks like it also just ended. Was surprised by that ending
Jun 16, 9:01 AM

Nov 2013
Oh wow! Honestly I feared they wouldn't have the courage to give us the death-ending.

It's sad, but death is inevitable to us all. How many of us can dream of such death, peaceful, with a loved one, with no regrets and wishes left to fulfill, knowing your descendants will be ok even if you're gone.

Unexpectedly great show. Was thinking 7/10, but gonna give it solid 8/10 since they gave us a definitive ending.

(although, I can't stop but imagine the horror and sadness Mino and Shouta must've experienced after discovering the two had passed on...). Better stop myself from sticking to this thought. Anyways, glad those two remained a couple. I don't remember if they should know about the golden apple. The show said +50 years, but they seemed a bit too old for that age :D. They should be around 70 but look much older. Glad they'll experience being young again though :D Must be nostalgic.
Sigmar-UnberogenJun 16, 9:09 AM
Jun 16, 9:04 AM

Jul 2016
My chest tightened the moment they started doing a role call of all their friends and family and started sounding progressively more sleepy. Seeing Shozo and Ine lying so peacefully under their tree has got to be the most bittersweet final shots of any character ever.

Checked this out purely because the title sounded adorable and it definitely delivered, I just wish I were more prepared for the tearjerkers they throw at you once in a while lmao
Jun 16, 9:05 AM
Feb 2020
Man can't believe it ended that way.Been having this show as high 7 throughout the entire series,gonna bump it up to an 8/10.Just an enjoyable show every week,mostly Sol comedy and then great emotional moment hits outta nowhere.
Jun 16, 9:31 AM
Nov 2018
It has to be one of my favorites this season. I figured I would end up watching 2 or 3 episodes and drop it. I found I enjoyed every bit of it.
Jun 16, 9:33 AM
Dec 2021
ok. uniform continuity.
Jun 16, 9:49 AM

Jul 2013
I am really sad but I was expecting to be actually devastated. I guess it actually wasnt heart wrenching cause it was not only coming for a long time, but because they had already gotten everything settled before hand. They went peacefully and with no regrets and that was so beautifully represented that even I felt at peace with their departure. Brilliant anime
Jun 16, 9:54 AM

Jul 2009
nice slice of life
bruh
Jun 16, 10:03 AM
Mar 2016
I'm quite shocked by the epilogue since they used the same technic usually used for horror movie's epilogue.
Jun 16, 10:08 AM
Mar 2016
cooldogmom said:

Akemi is their daughter.
Jun 16, 10:16 AM
Sep 2023
And they achieved the ultimate romance goal. Sayounara, jiisan to baasan.
Jun 16, 10:34 AM
Sep 2015
It's really about a couple that live their lives to the fullest with no regret, they get everything they ask for and even more. If their lives are test then they get 100 scores. So when the time comes they depart the world as victors. This is life as it should be.
Jun 16, 11:26 AM

Nov 2016
I was so caught up in the cozy vibes of this episode that I was truly dumbfounded by their sudden death, yet it was only to be expected since the first episodes. Oh man, what a bittersweet ending to this lovely series. Surprisingly I'm not feeling devastated. Dying is a part of life and Grandpa and Grandma had a great one in the end. After turning young they could enjoy it to their fullest. How they left the world together couldn't have been more peaceful.

My onl gripe is that the anime didn't adapt more episodes/ that we didn't get to see more of the other characters progressions.

8/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 16, 11:35 AM

Feb 2019
😭noooo it’s over like that? I wasn’t ready to say goodbye.. one of the pleasant surprises of the season!

how much death will I be made to endure today.. house of the dragon back too so I expect it to get even worse..

This was probably the best possible ending though. Grandma and Grandpa’s time was running out and they got to be together in their last moments in the garden they knew and loved so much, passing on their spirit to the next generation in Mino and Shouta.. but still, felt like I became a part of this family over this season I’m sad to say goodbye.

At least they went out after seeing their entire family was healthy, in a position to take care of themselves and handle any challenge comes their way. 70 years of being together, can’t really ask for much more.

I wonder how Kosuke handled everything and if he stayed close with Mr bear that his grandparents gave him 😢 they can’t reply, but they promised to always watch over him

Getting an epilogue was great cause I was just about to complain about not seeing a Shouta and Mino wedding. But 50 years in the future would only put them in their 60s, they looked way older there.. need a sequel manga with them turning young so we can see what happened in those 50 years!

Overall, great seasonal and one of the few with a conclusive ending.
Marinate1016Jun 16, 12:43 PM
Jun 16, 11:50 AM

Apr 2015
wait what??????????!!!!!!!!! i was took by surprise, i didn't know this was the last episode and also didn't expected they actually show their last minutes and after that credits there was the time skip ç.ç

i am speechless 8.5/10, this was special.
Jun 16, 11:56 AM

Jul 2017
Last few minutes were infinitely better than the rest of the series. I didn't like the show at all but the ending being good helps a bit though, at least happy for that despite how bittersweet it was.
Jun 16, 12:01 PM

Oct 2016
this went beyond the quirky show i expected at first

really good, i looked forward to it every week, and a show with a solid ending? were spoiled rotten

8/10
Jun 16, 12:13 PM

Oct 2017
Wholesome stuff with their family but damn that scene. Got a 50 year timeskip with Mino and Shouta now getting the golden apple.

Was reluctunt to watch this as I had a feeling they were gonna end the series like this but didn't think they'd wrap it up in one season with the anime. Even though there's more material in the manga.
MegamiRemJun 29, 1:28 PM
Jun 16, 12:17 PM

Sep 2016
Dang, I mean that was a bit of a bittersweet ending but like that'd suck to come across your grandparents dead in the field even if it was a peaceful send off. Honestly I was expecting just like a sweet goofy ending to this show....
TheSelleriJun 16, 1:01 PM
Jun 16, 12:56 PM

Apr 2013
I can't stop crying, this end hurt me a lot T.T

.·:*¨ 重逢的时代 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟎:𝟒𝟐 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟑:𝟏𝟑
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Jun 16, 12:58 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to TheSelleri
Dang, I mean that was a bit of a bittersweet ending but like that'd suck to come across your grandparents dead in the field even if it was a peaceful send off. Honestly I was expecting just like a sweet goofy ending to this show....
@Selleri_UmU

Yeah, that's pretty fucked. It's a small pity that we didn't get to see everyone’s reaction here. Or maybe it's for the better.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 16, 12:59 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to ScarRufus
wait what??????????!!!!!!!!! i was took by surprise, i didn't know this was the last episode and also didn't expected they actually show their last minutes and after that credits there was the time skip ç.ç

i am speechless 8.5/10, this was special.
@ScarRufus

Same, thought it would be 12 or 13 episodes xD Although, you got some strong final episode vibes in the middle.

Jun 16, 1:02 PM

Apr 2012
I originally thought it would be a regular gag comedy, especially after the initial sitcom jokes and weird incest implications. But the characters and writing grew quite a lot over these 11 episodes and at the end of the anime it turned out to be quite a heartwarming bittersweet story about the importance of family and the value of life. Maybe I'm being too sentimental, but I'll still give this an 8 out of 10.

@Marinate1016 This is a very plot-light manga, but it seems that the author has detailed their family so much that in my opinion many of their grandchildren are worthy of their own synopsis or sequel. Of course, perhaps in a different format. But I think the author is unlikely to do this; the current ending is already quite laconic and beautiful.
RobertBobertJun 16, 1:07 PM
Jun 16, 1:16 PM
Feb 2024
8/10. I almost cried at the end, but that ending music ruined the immersion...
Jun 16, 1:18 PM
Oct 2018
Reply to RobertBobert
I originally thought it would be a regular gag comedy, especially after the initial sitcom jokes and weird incest implications. But the characters and writing grew quite a lot over these 11 episodes and at the end of the anime it turned out to be quite a heartwarming bittersweet story about the importance of family and the value of life. Maybe I'm being too sentimental, but I'll still give this an 8 out of 10.

@Marinate1016 This is a very plot-light manga, but it seems that the author has detailed their family so much that in my opinion many of their grandchildren are worthy of their own synopsis or sequel. Of course, perhaps in a different format. But I think the author is unlikely to do this; the current ending is already quite laconic and beautiful.
@RobertBobert I was thinking something similar in the first episode, with the comedy and other weird vibes, but I was happy the direction it ended up going. It was refreshing to see an older and established relationship/romance, as I have been wanting more for a long time. And just seeing how they took care of each other and all those small moments was great. (As well as seeing how their family developed in the different generations).

Though not knowing this was the final episode, oof that ending hit a bit harder than expected, but I'm happy that the couple had a conclusion in the anime.
Jun 16, 1:20 PM
Apr 2024
beautiful. heartwarming.
Jun 16, 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Almondillo
@RobertBobert I was thinking something similar in the first episode, with the comedy and other weird vibes, but I was happy the direction it ended up going. It was refreshing to see an older and established relationship/romance, as I have been wanting more for a long time. And just seeing how they took care of each other and all those small moments was great. (As well as seeing how their family developed in the different generations).

Though not knowing this was the final episode, oof that ending hit a bit harder than expected, but I'm happy that the couple had a conclusion in the anime.
@Almondillo Likewise. I don't know how far the author thought about the plot of the original manga, but the plot and characters really improved significantly over time.

Also, what also interests me. The original characters discovered the rejuvenating apple when they lived together for 70 years and died peacefully after a conditional 2-3 years. But their granddaughter saw a rejuvenating apple after only 50 years of marriage with her husband. Isn’t there some kind of sad implication here? Although, as far as I understand, the parents of their second granddaughter’s boyfriend and other younger families did not seem to have any problems with a possible imminent death.
Jun 16, 1:48 PM

Dec 2020
Aaah the ending...so much deep feeling and sweet. Turnin' back to their twenties after livin' seventy years, enjoyin' their once regained youth with their big family, experiencin' many new things and modernism to a moderate extent, passin' down their family's occupation to thier grandkids...and at last embracing death together with no regrets but only sheer happiness. Indeed a great ending.

Rating: 7.4/10

As a manga reader I was totally dumbfounded seeing them goin' beyond the manga and adapting who knows what plot from god knows where lol. Then I stumbled upon the author's pixiv profile and found out that there was a huge gap between translated and raw chaps. Like the latest translated release was of chap 94 wheres the raw was near chap 200 @_@. It ended at a total 199 chaps. And the last chap was released on 15th June, the day just before the anime ended.
GeoXsf9Jun 16, 5:16 PM
Jun 16, 1:51 PM
Sep 2023
I didn't think it would end like this.It was to sad to see😭.At least they got a proper death.
Jun 16, 2:10 PM
May 2017
Excellent, both the ending episode and the series! Not expecting further seasons because the story not only is done, but went full circle with another generation.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jun 16, 2:26 PM
Jan 2024
This was such a cute and wholesome show. I'm sad it's over but the ending was great. Maybe we'll get a spin off of the grandkids one day.
Jun 16, 2:38 PM
Oct 2013
My God, now I'm sad and with some existential crisis and fear of the incoming death of my loved ones.
Jun 16, 3:20 PM

Sep 2011
Bruh the granddaughter and her boy toy aged horribly. They gotta be like 65 in the last scene looking 85
Jun 16, 4:14 PM
Dec 2022
I cried
I don't like crying
but I like this
this is good crying
Jun 16, 4:28 PM
Oct 2022
The rain's kinda weird today, I hear no raindrops but i can feel water flowing down my cheeks
Jun 16, 4:54 PM
Apr 2021
Anime has never cleared they died together or they are just sleeping, The anime has ended with original ending just like great teacher onizuka did with transfer to another school, which never happens in the manga, pixiv manga chapter there is soo much stuff to cover like Sons wedding chapter etc. but still I am glad one of my favorite manga got anime adaptation , this anime is hidden gem of this spring 2024 , over all it is 9/10 anime . because it teaches value of family and make us respect our parents and grand parents on their sacrifice they have done for us , where they could not do lots of stuff in their times,
I am very disappointed from Crunchyroll , they did not dubbed this anime into English
I guess , family gathering is start to dying from the west , where they don't wanna bother to dub this anime into many languages
Jun 16, 5:10 PM
Oct 2017
I had this anime at 7/10 rating for the first 10 episodes. Just watching it on routine. That finale bumped it up a full point.
Jun 16, 5:31 PM

Jul 2022
This anime was beautiful. I cried rivers. Even more so when I thought about what could have happened to Mino when he found her grandparents at that time. But it was lovely to see her in the future with Shouta receiving the golden apple.

Despite the difficulties they faced, they lived happily until the end and left a legacy in the hearts of each family member. This anime surprised me and I think it is one of the gems of the season. This anime made me reflect on life, whether spending it alone or having a special person by our side.
Jun 16, 5:35 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well… so much for the source being ongoing since it apparently ended two days ago, why must they do us this way lol. But I will say, the first moment where I thought they were going for this ending was when the grandparents said goodbye to Kousuke and Shouzou was crying, and it wasn’t played up for comedy like “oh grandpa, he gets so emotional over goodbyes”, no it was real, they’re saying goodbye for the last time. And then of course when they were talking about all the things that were going to happen as their voices got softer, I knew it was coming, but one thing I can be happy about is they passed on peacefully, with no regrets, and together so one isn’t left without the other, I don’t even want to imagine what Mino’s reaction was when she found out but it was at least a peaceful moment for her grandparents.

But this episode wasn’t all sad, the whole first half of the episode was the usual goofy fun with Shouzou expertly crafting snow statues, and the New Years party had lots of great moments, I especially liked all the moms huddling around Ine lol. And they even included Ine’s sister, I’m glad she was able to have fun despite her condition. And we actually got an after credits scene showing that Mino and Shouta 50 years in the future were also blessed with the golden apple, it is a bit upsetting seeing them so old but it is nice knowing they did eventually get together.

And that was it, the wholesome grandparents unfortunately didn’t make it to the end of the show but what they were there for was so much fun and so wholesome, definitely among the most heartwarming of SoLs that I’ve seen. Of course there were also sad moments and life lessons in there as well, and I think that’s a big part of why this show is special, it’s definitely left me with new perspectives on life, along with some good laughs lol. And I absolutely loved the OP, every episode I looked forward to hearing those opening notes, and the ED might’ve been a bit wacky but it was a fun song. Gekkou, y’all did it again, you made another banger to add to your as of rn small list of bangers, thank you for another great show, and I’m excited to see what else you have cooking, because you absolutely cooked with this one.
Jun 16, 5:47 PM
Jul 2022
I loved this anime, and at the same time I found the ending sad, but there was nothing to do with it, it's the cycle of life.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 10 Discussion

Aversa - Jun 9

46 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 8, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 14

60 by Komlan_6 »»
Aug 8, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 9 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

39 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 7, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 26

40 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 6, 5:11 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 7 Discussion

Aversa - May 19

45 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 5, 2:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.