Forum Settings
Forums

What anime you think was carried by a single character?

New
Jun 11, 6:53 AM

Feb 2011
I've been watching Lv2 Isekai and noticed that if it wasn't for the main heroine, I would most likely stop watching this anime. Her presence alone makes it quite enjoyable.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 11, 6:54 AM

Feb 2020
Nyanko-sensei in Natsume Yuujinchou. That chubby silly cat is the real star of the show. =^_^=

SerafosJun 11, 7:11 AM
Jun 11, 6:57 AM

Dec 2021
I know Yawara! was carried into a dumpster by Jigoro, in the eyes of many. He's a real hard thing to ignore.

Though I managed to like him anyway... somehow.
Daviljoe193Jun 11, 7:01 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jun 11, 7:00 AM

Jan 2021
This is 100% my personal opinion but,

-Hange Zoe (AOT)
-Mary Saotome (Kakegurui)
-Yor Forger (Spy Family)
Jun 11, 7:10 AM

Sep 2016
A lot, best example might be https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 11, 7:13 AM

Mar 2023
Nancy carried all of Ninja Slayer From Animation

Jun 11, 7:18 AM

Jul 2015
The objectively best example is Kurumi from Date a Live. She singlehandedly carried the whole series and without her, this would be just a generic, forgettable trash like any other.

Jun 11, 7:21 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to Piromysl
The objectively best example is Kurumi from Date a Live. She singlehandedly carried the whole series and without her, this would be just a generic, forgettable trash like any other.
@Piromysl And she is well appreciated with the insane amount of high quality figures and other merch made based on her.

Jun 11, 7:25 AM

Jan 2022
Eikichi Onizuka From great teacher onizuka
Jun 11, 7:25 AM
Awkward Fellow

Oct 2018
Maomao from The Apothecary Diaries

Honestly have no idea why people like Jinshi (I’m certain he has a tragic backstory the anime hasn’t really explored yet, but still 🙄)
OhayotakuJun 11, 7:30 AM
Jun 11, 7:31 AM

Jul 2019
Reply to Piromysl
@Piromysl Shes at the top of my list for characters that deserved better anime.
Jun 11, 7:33 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to Ohayotaku

Honestly have no idea why people like Jinshi (I’m certain he has a tragic backstory the anime hasn’t really explored yet, but still 🙄)
@Ohayotaku Girls want to be with him, guys want to be him.

Jun 11, 7:38 AM

Aug 2013
I read the title and I wanted to come here and say Fenrys lol

She really carries that show, she is the show! :D So adorable, I'll have to squeeze her into the top 10 favorite characters :D
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
Jun 11, 7:48 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to Coaghim
I read the title and I wanted to come here and say Fenrys lol

She really carries that show, she is the show! :D So adorable, I'll have to squeeze her into the top 10 favorite characters :D
@Coaghim Cultured minds think alike.

Jun 11, 7:55 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to Shizuna
@Coaghim Cultured minds think alike.
@Shizuna *nods* Hai *brofist*

I hope she nails the next election :P If you don't nominate her, I will!
CoaghimJun 11, 8:19 AM
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Jun 11, 8:03 AM

Sep 2020
L-elf from Valvrave the liberator comes to my mind first for some reason
Jun 11, 8:28 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Serafos
Nyanko-sensei in Natsume Yuujinchou. That chubby silly cat is the real star of the show. =^_^=

@Serafos I completely agree with you! grumpy lil guy but strong as hell. He is one of my favorite characters
Jun 11, 8:40 AM

Apr 2022
Parasyte I saw him a long time ago and all I remember is an ost and Migi. Great character
Hey dude
Jun 11, 8:43 AM

Apr 2021
In my opinion Esdeath solo carries Akame Ga Kill.
Jun 11, 8:52 AM

Feb 2011
Reply to Coaghim
@Shizuna *nods* Hai *brofist*

I hope she nails the next election :P If you don't nominate her, I will!
@Coaghim I've only seen two anime this season, so it depends on what else I'll give a watch (currently she's number one). Don't think she has a great chance at winning against the girls from sequels though.

Jun 11, 8:55 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to Jeevanandhnr
In my opinion Esdeath solo carries Akame Ga Kill.
@Jeevanandhnr What??
Ik, She's pretty, but The anime is already so good
Jun 11, 8:57 AM
Jan 2016
To give one example, Julie Sigtuna in Absolute Duo. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have given that anime the time of day (not that I plan on watching it again).
Jun 11, 9:25 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to Shizuna
@Coaghim I've only seen two anime this season, so it depends on what else I'll give a watch (currently she's number one). Don't think she has a great chance at winning against the girls from sequels though.
@Shizuna You never know, it ain't over till the fat lady sings! :P

Feel free to pick someone else, I'll pick her then, so consider Fenrys reserved by me! :p

Jun 11, 9:54 AM

Mar 2020
Lelouch quite literally carried Code Geass
Jun 11, 9:56 AM

Oct 2019
There are a few examples, but I think kurumi from date a live is by far the biggest one.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 11, 10:00 AM

Dec 2018
Gohan in DragonBall Z, he felt more important than even Goku.

Jun 11, 10:47 AM

Nov 2020
Lelouch vi Britannia from Code Geass

Jun 11, 10:54 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to Ohayotaku

@Ohayotaku

He is Maomao's foil, being someone who seemingly never experienced the hardships of being poor, whose attempt to seduce and fluster her often fails, and whose direct indirectness contrasts with Maomao's direct directness. Maomao does not mince words and prefers to be left to her own devices whereas Jinshi is definitely a troublemaker and rabblerouser who uses his words to elicit interesting reactions.

In short, he is the reason why Maomao gets put into these situations where she makes faces like this.

The series would be much worst off if Jinshi was not poking around in Maomao's business.
Jun 11, 11:05 AM

May 2019
Midori Kasugano in Midori Days anime.

Jun 11, 11:07 AM

Apr 2020
this guy definitely carried the whole show (I don't know the anime i haven't watched it)
Jun 11, 11:14 AM

Sep 2018
Kodomo no Omocha is carried by the best female mc and best bakadere Kurata Sana.
Jun 11, 11:26 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to CurrentlyReading
This is 100% my personal opinion but,

-Hange Zoe (AOT)
-Mary Saotome (Kakegurui)
-Yor Forger (Spy Family)
@CurrentlyReading I kinda agree with that last one. Especially anytime Yor gets an action scene (go figure I'd like that). But I do like Loid as well. Honestly if the series just focused on them hiding their secret lives from each other and they cut out Anya and all the school stuff, I'd like it a lot more. We'll see if season 3 changes my mind though.
Jun 11, 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
For me Kyo Kara Maoh was singlehandedly carried by Conrad Weller, he's the only reason I don't drop the series for good.
Jun 11, 12:17 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to FanofAction
@CurrentlyReading I kinda agree with that last one. Especially anytime Yor gets an action scene (go figure I'd like that). But I do like Loid as well. Honestly if the series just focused on them hiding their secret lives from each other and they cut out Anya and all the school stuff, I'd like it a lot more. We'll see if season 3 changes my mind though.
@FanofAction

Yeah exactly! It's odd how the author managed to make a story about spies and a cold war boring, but it slows down the story so much. Yor shines in every action scene she's in.
Jun 11, 12:49 PM

Jul 2017
Phosphophyllite from land of the lustrous
Jun 11, 2:01 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to CurrentlyReading
@FanofAction

Yeah exactly! It's odd how the author managed to make a story about spies and a cold war boring, but it slows down the story so much. Yor shines in every action scene she's in.
@CurrentlyReading For sure. All her fight scenes in season 2 were easily the highlight of the entire series for me so far.
Jun 11, 2:10 PM

Jul 2021
Monster.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 11, 2:22 PM

Mar 2019
I believe that Mushishi fits the theme.

Jun 11, 2:51 PM

Jan 2022
Not to disregard Kurumi's impact, but I feel like she does nothing for how her character is presented. Still probably my favorite recurring part from that show.

To me, Gwyn in Beyblade Burst Rise, especially since he's only in the second part of that show, which was incredibly more enjoyable.
And to a smaller extent-
Senku in Doctor Stone. Apparently, in the manga, Taiju is the prominent character at the start? They made the right change if so.
Yang in RobiHachi, just enhances the experience.
Kato in Saekano. The show is fine without her, but then it's just a standard forgettable well written harem-type show.
Xellos almost carried the later Slayers series.
Chazz / Manjoume in Yugioh GX, especially at the start.
Jun 11, 3:23 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Piromysl
@Piromysl story wise dal v is by far the best this season. She mainly helped merchandise and sales wise
Jun 11, 3:25 PM
Mar 2024
Barbatos from gundam ibo. The worst gundam au we have ever had and everyone in japan mocks it. If you remove the main suit, nothing redeeming about the show. Yet morons from the west won't stop praising that feces since 2018.
Jun 11, 3:26 PM

May 2014
Saga of Tanya the Evil and I'm a Spider So What. Tanya and Kumoko carried each of their shows. I honestly couldn't care less about any of the characters aside from them. Both voiced by the same actress coincidentally.

Jun 11, 3:26 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Jackson1333
@Piromysl Shes at the top of my list for characters that deserved better anime.
@Jackson1333 date a live v is the only good anime this season. Everything else people are larping. Otherwise no one would say this season is bad.
Jun 11, 3:28 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to AshuAmbrose
Lelouch vi Britannia from Code Geass

@AshuAmbrose No sir, Code Geass was carried by one man, and one man only!

Memorize this! Memorize Jeremiah Gottwald! Commit it to Memory because that's the memorable name of the man who has defeated you!
Jun 11, 3:29 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Bidoof_PMD-EOS
Not to disregard Kurumi's impact, but I feel like she does nothing for how her character is presented. Still probably my favorite recurring part from that show.

To me, Gwyn in Beyblade Burst Rise, especially since he's only in the second part of that show, which was incredibly more enjoyable.
And to a smaller extent-
Senku in Doctor Stone. Apparently, in the manga, Taiju is the prominent character at the start? They made the right change if so.
Yang in RobiHachi, just enhances the experience.
Kato in Saekano. The show is fine without her, but then it's just a standard forgettable well written harem-type show.
Xellos almost carried the later Slayers series.
Chazz / Manjoume in Yugioh GX, especially at the start.
@Bidoof_PMD-EOS it is just recency bias since no show from 2013-2014 is talked about anymore now. Look how slime got pushed the best anime of the season and is laughed at being the worst. Reality shows only are good for a few years before people forget about it for something new
Jun 11, 3:32 PM

Apr 2024
Darling in the Franxx really only carried any amount of attention when it aired because of Zero Two, I believe this whole-heartedly
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 11, 4:28 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Timeline_man
Darling in the Franxx really only carried any amount of attention when it aired because of Zero Two, I believe this whole-heartedly
@Timeline_man considering how poorly the anime got received at the end, this is right. Anyone saying kurumi is a moron since other shows suck this season.
Jun 11, 6:16 PM
Oct 2013
Naruto but till pain arc but after that when Sasuke evolved from being annoying to outright unlikeable in general that's where I dropped it like hot potato. Watched the last movie just because little to no sasuke in it.
niknasrJun 11, 6:24 PM
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 11, 6:27 PM

Dec 2022
Owari no Seraph. Shinoa was the only reason I found it watchable. Don't think I could sit through that angstfest otherwise.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 11, 7:04 PM

Jul 2017
Although I hate the anime portion of the Kokoro Connect series, Himeko Inaba was a character I really enjoyed a lot which is rare for me with a series I dislike a lot. Even though I rate it really poorly, I do think of Himeko first and how good she is in Kokoro Connect more than how bad the drama is at the start.

At least luckily, the writing does improve a ton after the portion that was adapted to have it be a decent series overall, but just with the stuff adapted in the anime, most of it wasn't good (especially a lot of the non-Inaba related scenes).

Maybe Mikoto Misaka with Railgun? It was the Sisters arc in the Railgun anime in particular that I really liked which was mainly her character carrying through that, in a franchise where I didn't really come close to loving any other arc I saw or even read in all Toaru entries. Whether it was Index, Railgun, Accelerator or other stuff. Feel weird still having Railgun S at an 8 given how much I've complained about all of Toaru in general but it did deserve it for me and Misaka really helped with that in that particular arc. Without Misaka, that anime would probably be rotting right from the get-go and there would be even less of an incentive to care for the Index franchise whatsoever.

On a complete positive note, a series that I love which I feel was really elevated because of one character might be Yuugo Hachiken from Silver Spoon. I really like the other characters in the series, but it is their interactions with Yuugo and the contrasts of the others' lifestyles with how Yuugo is and the questions that were posed thematically as a result of those differences that made Silver Spoon one of my favorite anime of all time, and made a supporting cast that might look a bit thin on paper, to be super endearing and absolutely great to watch. The series might be alright to good in terms of quality without a character like Yuugo, but because he is there, the series is absolutely phenomenal for me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3? ( 1 2 )

thewiru - Yesterday

52 by JaniSIr »»
58 seconds ago

» What would happen with Poutin Sometimes Hides His Feelings in Russian?

SgtBateMan - 6 hours ago

20 by SgtBateMan »»
9 minutes ago

» What do you think about 00s anime?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

15 by WatchTillTandava »»
10 minutes ago

» Which superpower you like choose from an anime character irl?

nirererin - 7 hours ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
15 minutes ago

» What is the trashiest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

basrekichka - Yesterday

61 by deg »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.