Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 1:32 PM

Dec 2021
I’m talking in terms of how many episodes before you started to like the anime; For Example:

-I enjoyed Death Note since episode 1

-It took around 10 episodes until I enjoyed Nana. I have a hard time dropping anime because of how good Nana turned out for me.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 8, 1:39 PM

Jun 2020
It took 5-10 for me to like Gintama, better than other people liking it at 25 or 50
Jun 8, 1:48 PM

Jun 2024
Most of my favorites I enjoyed since their respective episode 1s. For example, Haikyuu!

For anime that took a while to enjoy, one of them would be Hunter x Hunter. I wasn't into the first few arcs, and at the time, I was seriously considering dropping it. But the Yorknew City arc was amazing!
Jun 8, 1:49 PM

Jul 2013
Probably One Piece. It took me 10 episodes before I truly enjoyed it.
Jun 8, 3:01 PM

Sep 2016
SAO

Took me 60 episodes and 1 movie until I enjoyed it, oddly enough the journey was worth it because once Alicization took off, it got quite awesome.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 8, 3:03 PM

Dec 2022
Myself; Yourself. The first few episodes play out like any other formulaic high school romance anime, but it eventually turned into something much more impressive, which I wasn't at all expecting from it.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 8, 3:15 PM

Dec 2021
The only notable one for me was Clannad. It took until either episode 7 or 8 before I was finally really enjoying it, and before that I was just like "Oh, it's more of Kanon, the anime I felt dead neutral about". I won't comment on After Story though, even if you ask me nicely.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jun 8, 3:24 PM

Apr 2021
-it took me around 28-30 eps to truly be hook with monster.

-it took me around 30 eps to truly start to be all on board with one piece. It was around the baratie arc.

-it took me around 14 eps of vinland saga.

gintama and bleach also took a while but i honestly forgot when i start to enjoy them.
Jun 8, 3:30 PM
Jan 2021
Urusei Yatsura, almost 200 episodes. It got off to a real rocky start and never fully recovered, imo.
Jun 8, 3:38 PM
Jul 2016
I remember not liking the first part of Twelve kingdoms. But once the series developed i found myself really enjoying.
Jun 8, 3:41 PM

Jul 2012
Fire Force, it took me about 15+ to try and immerse myself into the plot.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Jun 8, 3:49 PM

Aug 2020
LotGH took 26 episodes or something to really sail.

Jun 8, 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
Black Clover - screaming Asta in the beginning was pretty annoying, almost made me drop the serie. Not sure how many episodes it was, but I'm glad I sticked with it, great show!
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
Jun 9, 1:25 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to smemorato
I remember not liking the first part of Twelve kingdoms. But once the series developed i found myself really enjoying.
@samot-frt Good to know, this series is in my PTW
Jun 9, 1:41 AM

Aug 2021
That would be One piece. It took me 30 to 35 episodes to really enjoy the show. Now One Piece is one of my fav franchise
Jun 9, 1:41 AM
Oct 2013
Tensura, S1 felt like a dragged out slice of life with a little sprinkle of world building
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 9, 1:47 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to TipraTechnophile
That would be One piece. It took me 30 to 35 episodes to really enjoy the show. Now One Piece is one of my fav franchise
@ArpitPatel I'm quite the opposite; the East Blue Saga up to the Baratie Arc was the most memorable for me.
Jun 9, 1:48 AM

Mar 2023
It took me 7 episodes to really enjoy Ghost Hound.
Jun 9, 1:53 AM

Jan 2021
A lot like Gintama took 3 episodes, Haikyuu took about 5 episode, Fairy tail took a lot of episodes, Fire force took 6 to 7 episodes. Gintama and Haikyuu are one of my fav now but I still liked the other two.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jun 9, 2:01 AM

Jul 2021
it must be gintama and steins gate because i put them both on hold after watching 10 episodes. it remained boring even after 10 episodes bruh

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 9, 2:04 AM

Jan 2009
definitely bleach and hitman reborn they need at least 20+ episodes to watch before the plot gets going
Jun 9, 3:15 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to Jackof-allspades
@ArpitPatel I'm quite the opposite; the East Blue Saga up to the Baratie Arc was the most memorable for me.
@Jackof-allspades the only thing I liked about Baratie arc was Mihawk's entry. I think Logtown Arc was the best arc in the east blue saga.
Jun 9, 3:25 AM

Feb 2020
I guess Show By Rock!! I dropped it first, but later I gave it another change and now it's one of my favorite anime. Easily one of the most underrated music anime of all time.

SerafosJun 9, 3:29 AM
Jun 9, 4:30 AM

Aug 2021
Imho, HSDXD had the best first EP
after the first few EP's of Musaigen No Phantom world, I almost dropped it but then decided to turn off my mind, and accept my percievement of flaws,
it turned out to be quite decent
Jun 9, 6:19 AM
Sep 2013
Took me until the end of season 1 before teekyuu started clicking with me. Granted, I wouldn't say that process is fully done, but I feel a lot better than I did at the start. I'm going to give season 2 a try some time.
Jun 9, 6:28 AM
Oct 2019
One piece took all the episodes before alabasta.
Ikki Tousen took that I start season 2.
JoJo took 74 episodes (reaching part 4)
Jun 9, 6:54 AM

Feb 2020
One piece and Gintama came first to my mind. I tried making my friends watch it but they all dropped it after 10-15 episodes 😭
Jun 9, 7:00 AM

Sep 2020
gintama, and how awful clannads first season is
Jun 9, 7:12 AM

Jan 2020
I'd say I didn't really enjoy Monogatari till I watched Bake and Kizu. It was on Nisemonogatari when I started enjoying it.

A similar case would be Fumetsu no Anata e till 2nd season or ARIA till late 1st season.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jun 9, 7:50 AM

Feb 2024
Typically I drop stuff after 3-5 episodes if I dislike it. I think Stein's Gate almost reached the margin, I was about to drop it, good for me I didn't.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 9, 8:31 AM

Oct 2019
Undead + Unluck: It started as a too fast for me to care about anything that is happening action ride. But once it hooked me with some of it's genuinely interesting concepts, and I spend enough time with the characters to kinda care about them, the show became WAY more enjoyable, to the point that I was actually REALLY enjoying it by the end

Natsume's book of friends: I generally dislike the episodic format, so even though the starting episode weren't bad, I did kind of found them boring. But towards the end of season 2, I started to get really attached to the characters. and with Natsume finding more friends, and there being more returning characters, and specially with Natsume's character developments, I actually got really into it. To the point that I think I might add it to my favourites by the end. The fact that the animation has gotten better with every season is also a huge bonus. Season one was pretty subpar visually, but now 3 seasons later, S4 has been looking genuinely amazing.

Pet: The second half is REALLY fucking good, and more than pays of the messy set up of the first half.

Possibly bungo stray dogs: I thought S1 started out really generic and boring. Even after finishing it, I'm still not on board and think it's kinda generic. BUT, it was getting better, and I know pretty much everyone agrees that "getting better" is a constant through out the whole thing. So there is a REALLY good chance that I will start enjoying it sooner or later.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 9, 10:25 AM

Jan 2018
my hero academia took 2 season and a half to starts picking up.
Jul 9, 10:44 AM

Oct 2020
probably cowboy bebop with like 10+ episodes, toradora with like 5+, my fav gintama with like 10+. great pretender 5+, etc

"Hard work is worthless for those that don’t believe in themselves" - Naruto Uzumaki
Jul 9, 11:00 AM

Jan 2010
One piece, I started to enjoyed it for real in arlong park, I think it was by chapter 30 or something.
Jul 11, 2:36 PM

Dec 2020
One Piece imo gets good until Baratie and some would even say until Arlong Park, and that is at best 19 episodes and at worst 30+ episodes.(if you don't use One Pace).
Steins;Gate is mid/decent until ep 12 where is becomes one of the greatest shows ever (I like the first 11 episodes but they are miles away from the rest of the show).
I really didn't like the first 5 or 6 ep of Evangelion and it only gets really good until like ep 12 or 13 imo.
Hunter x Hunter is incredibly mid until lthe end of the hunter exam so that is almost 20 episodes.
Re:Zero is bad until like ep 12 and really good until ep 17.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jul 11, 10:02 PM

Dec 2022
Had to force myself through the first 20 episodes of Bleach but now I'm loving it.

Jul 11, 10:20 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
SAO

Took me 60 episodes and 1 movie until I enjoyed it, oddly enough the journey was worth it because once Alicization took off, it got quite awesome.
@Zarutaku

Completely agree. Alicization felt like a complete reset with very little to do with the rest of the series (at least for the first season). Kirito's pairing with Eugeo was great because for the first time it felt like the person next to him was his equal, not just by the author's word, but in reality as well. I also enjoyed the break from having a female be Kirito's partner, since I felt like SAO was never great at dealing with love interests.
Jul 11, 10:53 PM

May 2018
I'm not surprised everyone is saying gintama, bleach, and one piece lol.

For me personally, it's kekkai sensen (blood blockade battlefront). It was a bit of information overload at first, but once I got to know the characters and timeline it became quite fun and entertaining. Probably started as a 6/10 and ended up as a 9/10.
can't yuck my yum

Jul 11, 11:33 PM

Nov 2021
I finished first season of gintama and it is still boring, there are like few episodes in between that are fun but overall, it was pretty mid.
Jul 12, 1:18 AM

Oct 2020
There are some shows mentioned here that I have dropped but I'll consider picking back up again: Myself Yourself, Bleach, LotGH, Monogatari series, Aria the Animation, Undead Unluck, Bungou Stray Dogs, Cowboy Bebop

Shows I agree that are slow starters: Steins;Gate, Clannad (gotta watch the whole thing to get it, seasons 1+2), Musaigen no Phantom World (criminally underappreciated ecchi comedy)

Shows that were slow starters for me:

• Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - I watched the first 6 episodes in chrono order, then dropped it for a year before picking it back up and watching in broadcast order, that's when it clicked for me. Chrono order is for people with short attention spans, broadcast order is for people who enjoy a little bit of mystery
  • Nichijou - It was weird and I knew it was surreal absurd comedy but I finally felt like I understood it at around Episode 16. Yuuko going to the fancy coffee shop and having no idea wtf anything on the menu was spoke to me on a personal level lol.
  • 86 - Thought the first cour was a 6, thought the second cour was a 9. I enjoyed it for its characters and character interactions. You might be disappointed in this anime if you are more interested in the military aspect of it.
  • Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai! - It's kinda just standard fare jokes and comedy for the first half of the season, but then the second half of the season comes around and it turns out there is actually a story and the characters have all grown on you by then.

Thought I would have more to add though when I looked through my list, I realized the majority of anime I have seen were the ones that successfully hooked me from the start. Persevering through 6 or more episodes to get to a point where you are really enjoying an anime is extremely worthwhile when it pays off, but it is difficult to do. Not only that, but in a lot of cases there isn't even a payoff, the show you thought was mid at the beginning is still mid by the time you finish the last episode.
Jul 12, 1:34 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to nishant0
I finished first season of gintama and it is still boring, there are like few episodes in between that are fun but overall, it was pretty mid.
@nishant0 would you recommend a new watcher to skip the first season and just read a synopsis for it?
Jul 12, 2:49 AM
Oct 2013
Kimetsu no Yaiba and Tensura, I think it takes 14 or 15 episodes of S1 before I get to enjoy them for what they are
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jul 12, 4:44 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Darling in the Franxx. The first couple episodes are underwhelming. The mech designs and mech battles are very lame. The story completely shifts its tone and becomes interesting about halfway through the show, and the ending is 10/10.
Jul 12, 4:56 AM

Jul 2017
World Trigger. Didn't enjoy season 1's start as much and the adaptation was underwhelming throughout but season 2 and season 3 was really solid and I did manage to genuinely enjoy those seasons. Looking forward to more hopefully at some point.
Jul 12, 5:02 AM

Jul 2023
Clannad, Gintama, Steins gate and honorable 86...I think
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 12, 5:20 AM

Nov 2021
Reply to Jackof-allspades
@nishant0 would you recommend a new watcher to skip the first season and just read a synopsis for it?
@Jackof-allspades No, that would be very dumb thing to do.
Jul 12, 5:33 AM

Jan 2022
It took me a while to enjoy Black Clover. I started really liking it after Asta joins the Black Bulls. I knew I sensed something good about it but Asta's constant shrieking was really hard to get used to. I ultimately ended up dropping the series but not because it was bad. Great show
Jul 12, 9:46 AM

Mar 2023
It took me like 200 episodes to find One Piece interesting
Jul 12, 1:59 PM

Jul 2013
It took me a while to enjoy One Piece tbh. But I now enjoy it...
Jul 12, 2:25 PM

Jul 2023
I didn't find Steins;Gate that boring in the first half. The first 3 episodes or so were the "what's going on" part, after that is was simply good until ep 12, and from that point it became a favorite I'll never forget.

But the record holder is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I still have a few episodes left, but I could say that it couldn't truly grab me in the first 3/4 of the series! It was good, but I didn't feel the urge to jump to the next episode. Then around episode 50 the endgame started and it became binge worthy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Organon - the Best Weapon in Anime

Hiimoohiii - 9 minutes ago

2 by Hiimoohiii »»
37 seconds ago

» Who's your first anime crush?

Kanipan_Enkuldes - 4 hours ago

13 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much seasonal anime do you watch this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 6 hours ago

13 by Nirinbo »»
9 minutes ago

» Does peoples are REALLY in love with their waifues or husbando?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

17 by SimplyBrazen »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you hate how Modern Anime is plagued with goodie two shoes protaognist?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

20 by SimplyBrazen »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.