Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 11, 3:03 PM

Jun 2023
Just in time for Mother’s Day.
May 11, 3:08 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@TiagoCosta Already 40 thousand? At the end of last week there were only 20. Putting aside the debates surrounding Episode 5, they did a really good job promoting it, doubling the show's hype in just one week. Hopefully the author can monetize this enough to give us a more epic and well made third season of Tomozaki in the future. Alsoo, could you please tell me which two shows are still ahead of this?
@RobertBobert While I'm hoping for a 3rd season for Tomozaki too, I doubt the success of this series impacts Yuki Yaku much financially. Script writers getting a % of profits for an anime series is not something I have ever heard of previously happening. It certainly could bring more attention to Tomozaki that garners more interest and income that way, but manga/LN creators don't make much money off of anime either. Most of the financial benefit is from increased interest in the source material.

Having said that, the increased interest itself could lead to better sales for the anime in order to justify a 3rd season. Either way, I'm hopeful that this series will keep delivering because I have enjoyed every episode thus far quite a lot. All the better if that also tangentially helps the scriptwriter's other work!
May 11, 3:12 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@-DxP- By the way, "forever 17" is a fairly old meme among Japanese celebrities. There were even a few VAs in the 00s who made this their gimmick. Although, unlike Miiko, they were all mature women who did not hide their age or personal life.
@RobertBobert Oh interesting to hear, thanks for the input robert
May 11, 3:16 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Seansy
@RobertBobert While I'm hoping for a 3rd season for Tomozaki too, I doubt the success of this series impacts Yuki Yaku much financially. Script writers getting a % of profits for an anime series is not something I have ever heard of previously happening. It certainly could bring more attention to Tomozaki that garners more interest and income that way, but manga/LN creators don't make much money off of anime either. Most of the financial benefit is from increased interest in the source material.

Having said that, the increased interest itself could lead to better sales for the anime in order to justify a 3rd season. Either way, I'm hopeful that this series will keep delivering because I have enjoyed every episode thus far quite a lot. All the better if that also tangentially helps the scriptwriter's other work!
@Seansy Perhaps I didn't choose the best word for this, but by "monetize" I meant properly using the success of the show to develop his own career. I've heard that he's written or even directed some episodes of Tomozaki in the past, so if we're now talking about him as the writer of an entire original successful show, he's clearly doing well as a creator. Even I myself started to get a little jealous of him, although as an amateur writer I am usually aware of my level and only get inspired by real writers, lmao. All in all, while Jellyfish as a whole isn't exactly my cup of tea, I really hope it's successful enough to propel his career and the Tomozaki adaptation in particular.

@-DxP- always at your service :D
RobertBobertMay 11, 3:29 PM
May 11, 3:40 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@Seansy Perhaps I didn't choose the best word for this, but by "monetize" I meant properly using the success of the show to develop his own career. I've heard that he's written or even directed some episodes of Tomozaki in the past, so if we're now talking about him as the writer of an entire original successful show, he's clearly doing well as a creator. Even I myself started to get a little jealous of him, although as an amateur writer I am usually aware of my level and only get inspired by real writers, lmao. All in all, while Jellyfish as a whole isn't exactly my cup of tea, I really hope it's successful enough to propel his career and the Tomozaki adaptation in particular.

@-DxP- always at your service :D
@RobertBobert Gotcha, I kind of got that feeling from how you used the word "monetize" but certainly "take advantage of" or "propel his career" makes more sense in your follow up post.

Yes, he did scripts for at least episode 5 of season 2 of Tomozaki-kun and the specials since those are anime original content outside of his light novel. There may be others but those are the only ones I remember right now.

RobertBobert said:
Even I myself started to get a little jealous of him, although as an amateur writer I am usually aware of my level and only get inspired by real writers, lmao

Are you saying you don't consider Yuki Yaku a "real writer" because he writes a light novel? I'm confused by this sentence and don't want to misinterpret it like "monetize".

Personally, I'm not really a CGDCT guy, but I was pretty confident I would enjoy this series given Yaku's participation and promotion of it. The way he balances comedy and drama within his character writing just hits so much better for me than most other similar series. I also hope it propel's his career and the Tomozaki adaptation too!

Let's move this discussion to just DM's so we don't monopolize this episode discussion any further. I feel like we're getting farther away from actually discussing the episode with each post lol.
May 11, 3:54 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Seansy
@RobertBobert Gotcha, I kind of got that feeling from how you used the word "monetize" but certainly "take advantage of" or "propel his career" makes more sense in your follow up post.

Yes, he did scripts for at least episode 5 of season 2 of Tomozaki-kun and the specials since those are anime original content outside of his light novel. There may be others but those are the only ones I remember right now.

RobertBobert said:
Even I myself started to get a little jealous of him, although as an amateur writer I am usually aware of my level and only get inspired by real writers, lmao

Are you saying you don't consider Yuki Yaku a "real writer" because he writes a light novel? I'm confused by this sentence and don't want to misinterpret it like "monetize".

Personally, I'm not really a CGDCT guy, but I was pretty confident I would enjoy this series given Yaku's participation and promotion of it. The way he balances comedy and drama within his character writing just hits so much better for me than most other similar series. I also hope it propel's his career and the Tomozaki adaptation too!

Let's move this discussion to just DM's so we don't monopolize this episode discussion any further. I feel like we're getting farther away from actually discussing the episode with each post lol.
@Seansy No, my point was rather that since I am not a real writer, just an amateur, I don't usually envy real writers, since they are clearly on a different level compared to me. I can only be inspired by them and one day dream that I too will be able to write something meaningful. But the development of his career impresses me so much that I still envy him.

Good, because I'm already starting to get a bit of a headache from all the different forums :D
May 11, 3:56 PM

Mar 2010
Dat Triangle at the end was cute asf.. Huh Top Otaku.. TO... Hmm maybe that will trend.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 11, 4:10 PM

Jan 2017
Baba is a good mother to her child. I can't believe she's 31, but this is anime.
May 11, 5:10 PM

May 2023
i thought that last week's episode was the best episode but this episode was even better.

Kano Hoshino? she's great and Mahiru with triangle is so cute she's too willing to stand on the idol stage lol.

ah, milf idols are my favorite, it sucks not being able to see the miko sing, but I don't know how irl people will react if that actually happens in the real world.
Happy Mother's Day.
NezuSwallowtail_May 11, 5:15 PM
May 11, 5:38 PM
best $30 i spent

Oct 2023
31 year old, divorced idol with a daughter!!!! 😭
May 11, 5:57 PM

Apr 2022
just a spur-of-the-moment thing eh.
May 11, 6:38 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode!

Have a great Mothers' Day!

Sorry :P
leonardobarbaMay 11, 6:44 PM
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 11, 7:58 PM

Dec 2021
Ok, in just one episode, a side character we haven't seen since the first episode got a ton of character growth, something some shows take a whole season to do. And her backstory was so heartwarming.

This episode did a great job of making a funny character someone we can relate to and root for. Even though she's barely making it financially, she's doing everything she can to give her daughter a good education. Beautiful.

May 11, 8:29 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Ryushindai You say that as if I'm trying to force some kind of fan theory on you, lmao. I'm just saying that this might not be a coincidence given the existing practice. But if they themselves say so, then okay, I have no reason not to believe them.

@E-Satie But why exactly did it not live up to your expectations? Unless you meant the same reason why I waited so long for this episode, lol. I think this episode explored no less important and interesting a theme that the last.
RobertBobert said:
But why exactly did it not live up to your expectations? Unless you meant the same reason why I waited so long for this episode, lol. I think this episode explored no less important and interesting a theme that the last.
Aside from the fact that they completely ignore and delayed the whole "why she kiss her" which I was actually looking forward to this episode. This episode was just not that enjoyable for me. Even though the series covered an important and serious issue about the idol industry, it was just not that interesting to watch. The whole concept sounds interesting but I found the portrayal to be somewhat weak, I would have appreciate it more if they had some more time to develop it (I have rewatch the episode again and my opinion still didn't change) or Maybe because I still don't care about the characters in this series.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

May 11, 9:52 PM

Nov 2021
Why the hell is this anime so good??
May 11, 10:10 PM
Apr 2022
Well, we know from episode one that Baba cannot sing at all.

Other than that, this was a fantastic episode!

The kiss was 'spur of the moment'...lol, there goes all that lgbt bs...

Given the theme of mother-daughter relationships, we dont want distracts from the main plot.

Would be nice to see more of Baba though, wonder how she would further contribute to the team, perhaps as a manager? Perhaps they tied this loose end up, because they need to focus on the main rival group.
May 11, 10:18 PM

Jul 2014
You know, when I saw the idol girl in the first episode I would have never imagined that her character would turn out to be something like this haha... wow! What an amazing and heartwarming episode.

I find it incredible how much they did for Miiko's character (and her daughter) in just 20 minutes. What an adorable mother-daughter combo! Sumire Uesaka and Nao Touyama were great.

Which, by the way, Nao Touyama is my favorite seiyuu and it still amazes me how adorable she can sound xD. Ariel is so damn cute.

It was just a small moment but I'm glad the kiss wasn't forgotten. I'm sure we'll have more about it in the future.

With all that said... What a banger performance from Yoru in the triangle xD.
May 11, 11:26 PM

Mar 2015
This show is easily my AotS so far, every episode has been awesome. Very very impressed that this is an anime original too.
May 12, 12:52 AM

Feb 2019
Like I said in the spring 2024 what to watch video, this is by far AOTS and will easily be in my top 10 once this season ends. Every episode I’m just blown away. Like how do you top last episode? Well you get a 31 year old divorced idol with a daughter that’s how.

Ariel and Miko’s story was so cute and a great reminder that being “normal” is overrated. Be true to who you are and the rest will fall into place. It’s actually pretty funny that Touyama Nao is in two idol shows about self discovery and reinventing yourself this season. The two roles couldn’t be more different though!

Seeing the lame ass classmates bully Ariel all because her mom is confident in herself and doing what she wants to do was rough, but Miko fully embracing who she really is and announcing it to the crowd was great. Yea, she’ll probably lose some fans, but she’ll gain a lot too. A cute idol milf ?? Sign me the fuck up.

The animation during that scene of Miko jumping off the stage as well as Jelee’s performance was so damn good 😩

I like how they kinda playfully handled Kano and Yoru kiss scene. Didn’t brush over it, but didn’t harp too much on it either because the girls are still figuring out how they feel which makes sense and feels realistic.

Inject next episode into my veins
Marinate1016May 12, 1:11 AM
May 12, 2:08 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to E-Satie
RobertBobert said:
But why exactly did it not live up to your expectations? Unless you meant the same reason why I waited so long for this episode, lol. I think this episode explored no less important and interesting a theme that the last.
Aside from the fact that they completely ignore and delayed the whole "why she kiss her" which I was actually looking forward to this episode. This episode was just not that enjoyable for me. Even though the series covered an important and serious issue about the idol industry, it was just not that interesting to watch. The whole concept sounds interesting but I found the portrayal to be somewhat weak, I would have appreciate it more if they had some more time to develop it (I have rewatch the episode again and my opinion still didn't change) or Maybe because I still don't care about the characters in this series.
@E-Satie Well, you can always convince yourself that they "just put it off for later" like some here :D. But if without jokes and sarcasm, then this is already a subjective level, I think it would be pointless to argue about it.
May 12, 2:22 AM

Jul 2017
JELEE now getting commissions from people, one of them...is someone both Mahiru and Kano have a rather abrupt history with.

The wannabe pop idol Miiko wanting to break out from her rut, and being 31 years old (which she does not look like it) after performing for 14 years, she wants to use the group as her stepping stone. From a pop idol to a part-time Yakitori waitress, the girls are just baffled by her choices, and even more that she has a daughter named Ariel Baba who's well taken care of. Other than Mahiru's teasing of Kano of the kiss (which that answer will become more known as the series progresses), something pqiues both girls of their relationships with their mothers.

For Ariel, her mother Miiko working her damndest to ensure that she at least gets a living, it's a loving mother, and as Mei puts it, someone who fervently supports their loved ones closely. With people nowadays trying to get entertainment through mocking people, the girls are even more baffled that they have to take Miiko's position and perform their piece, allowing her to save her daughter from mean classmates, and allowing her own daughter to stand proud of her mother, which she reciprocates for her daughter.

A divorced 31-year-old mother with a daughter, Shizue's 31 Lollipop sure went rival.

A rather intentional and fitting episode for Mother's Day, great episode.
May 12, 2:31 AM

Apr 2015
Not sure what exactly Mum was trying to achieve by running to Ariel but guess it turned out ok.

Presumably the next conflict would be Kano being outed as Nonoka because of the gig
May 12, 2:48 AM
Sep 2022
Happy mother's day!
May 12, 2:49 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to Kayle_x_Morgana
I'd say if a idol actually did that, they would all walk right out. simps want young single idols.
isn't that why there is a bunch of rules of idols not allowed to have boyfriends. let alone kids and being over 30?
@Kayle_x_Morgana In this case I don't think that happens irl. She's promoted for 14 years already and is pushing the eternally 17 meme, which is what it is, a meme, not a lie. Her fans would obviously know that she's rather old

Having a kid bit is more inflammatory but a 31 year old underground idol having one is quite different to someone like say Ai having one, they'll get over it
May 12, 4:24 AM
Mar 2018
Best Mom Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(stupid minimum character limit)
May 12, 4:56 AM
Feb 2021
prev episode i wondered how theyre gonna surpass such peak... well my question was answered

single mom idol and her #1 fan daughter?!?!?! 👑👑👑🥳🥳🥳 Shizue and Ariel deserve every ray of happiness in the world, if she has 0 fans then I'm fucking six feet umderground

Not to mention Ariel is voiced by my #1 VA the GOAT Nao Toyama! im happy she's having a resurgence this season, she voices so many roles, in Shuumatsu Train, Seiyuu Radio, Jiisan Baasan, and now this?!?!

May 12, 5:14 AM
Sep 2016
The moment JELEE came up on stage, there's only one thing I desire.... Yoru's triangle solo!!!! But sadly, the studio didn't deliver it. It's understandable tho, considering how much complex animation and sakuga is required to even animate the intricate movements in a triangle solo.... Worst EP ever!!!! wwwwwwww

Joking aside, best EP so far tho.....

PS: Holy sh*t Touyama Nao (Ariel-chan's seiyuu) is EVERYWHERE!!!!! This season alone she's already in 4 different anime: Yoru no Kurage (Alice), Shuumatsu Train (Youka), Yuru Camp (Rin-chan), and Seiyuu Radio (Mekuru). And considering she also voices Nozomi from Hibike Eupho as well, she may even appear in an EP of the season 3 sometime this season as well.
uncleqrowMay 12, 5:23 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 12, 5:38 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to uncleqrow
The moment JELEE came up on stage, there's only one thing I desire.... Yoru's triangle solo!!!! But sadly, the studio didn't deliver it. It's understandable tho, considering how much complex animation and sakuga is required to even animate the intricate movements in a triangle solo.... Worst EP ever!!!! wwwwwwww

Joking aside, best EP so far tho.....

PS: Holy sh*t Touyama Nao (Ariel-chan's seiyuu) is EVERYWHERE!!!!! This season alone she's already in 4 different anime: Yoru no Kurage (Alice), Shuumatsu Train (Youka), Yuru Camp (Rin-chan), and Seiyuu Radio (Mekuru). And considering she also voices Nozomi from Hibike Eupho as well, she may even appear in an EP of the season 3 sometime this season as well.
@uncleqrow A worthy opponent, but still no one can beat Rieri, who has two main roles this season, not to mention the side characters or the year in general lol.
May 12, 7:07 AM
Jul 2013
Is it a bit saccharine and idealized? Yeah, it does feel that way.
Is it too good to be true? Probably.
Does it come off as hypocritical? Not really. Only a cynical person would think that way, toward something that is basically wish-fulfillment.
May 12, 7:13 AM
Oct 2019
Another Amazing storytelling!!
Beautiful single Mother Idol and her cute Daughter relationship.

Perfect episode for a Mother's Day, idk if they planning it on purpose or not.
May 12, 8:05 AM
May 2021
Halfway through the season and i have to say this anime is definitely a gem that came out of nowhere.
May 12, 8:49 AM

Dec 2016
For me this is hands down the best episode depicting character writing in the whole season so far (and I seriously doubt anything can top this one on what's left in the season).

Really liked how they turned around the naggy underground idol into a loveable bullshitter and then into a hardworking mother, all in one single episode without it feeling the need to expand or pad in more episodes. The bullying arc of he loveable duaghter was also nicely portrayed (although i do feel this part could have actually expanded a bit more). Still, it was very concise episode.

And there was even enough air time to follow up Kano's kiss and the parallels of Miiko's role as a mother compared to Kano's mom.

Softhenic03 said:
Trust me but it'd have been better if the truth about being actually a mother, divorced at that and being well past the "accepted" age to be considered an idol was kept a secret from this idol stanning audience forever lol. I mean their worship culture exists, so yeah.

If she was a reknown idol nationwide that would be the case. But she's an underground idol performing on the streets and casually once in a while in idol stages. Her follower count and real supporters that attended to her live events was probably really minimal, reducing drastically the number of extreme creeps.
KimurahMay 12, 9:04 AM
May 12, 8:55 AM
Mar 2021
ty jebany betoniarzu. CZTERY
May 12, 9:52 AM
Mar 2015
They performed as the opening act for a 31 year old idol with a daughter
May 12, 9:58 AM

Jan 2008
Shit, man... this episode really got to me. I'm quite weak against stories like that. So wholesome I almost died.
May 12, 10:04 AM

Jun 2022
o wow.... this ep was pretty deep and also rlly wholesome ;D
i wonder if jelee has a real competitor now

May 12, 10:20 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Raynaldee
Is it a bit saccharine and idealized? Yeah, it does feel that way.
Is it too good to be true? Probably.
Does it come off as hypocritical? Not really. Only a cynical person would think that way, toward something that is basically wish-fulfillment.
@Raynaldee There's nothing wrong with wish fulfillment as long as you don't try to criticize how it works while still being a wish fulfillment story. Like when shows from multi-billion dollar companies teach you that you need to be yourself and not listen to big producers, for example.
May 12, 11:53 AM
Apr 2024
Kano and yoru, please date 😍😍🥰🤩
May 12, 12:10 PM

Aug 2013
Really wholesome episode. Reminds me of that 40-year old underground idol I saw in an interview on YouTube.
May 12, 12:38 PM
Jan 2023
really didn't expect this at all. The idol from the first episode returns and it turns out that she's a single mother in her 30s. Just everything about the interactions between her and her daughter was just adorable, clearly they're really close.

Seems JELEE has a video that's about to hit 1 million views. Seems they're really going places.

Kano's reaction to being asked about that kiss though, laughed pretty hard at that.

If I had to guess, next week's episode is gonna be pretty awesome!
May 12, 1:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Not what i expected to follow after last episode's event at the end but this got me in my feels.
May 12, 1:21 PM
Apr 2024
Timeline is a bit funky, but eh we'll go with it. The boys must've been bullying Ariel for a while, like at least more than 30 minutes. The clock showed 3:30pm when they left their comment and it's daylight, and when her mom reached her it was twilight.

Also, they already have a video at almost 1 million views?! Even if it's the accidental viral one, it makes their 100K follower goal pretty easy to reach at this point.
The height of critical thinking and media analysis (and a little bit downie):
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
May 12, 3:10 PM

Jan 2008
Reply to RobertBobert
@Raynaldee There's nothing wrong with wish fulfillment as long as you don't try to criticize how it works while still being a wish fulfillment story. Like when shows from multi-billion dollar companies teach you that you need to be yourself and not listen to big producers, for example.
So... you've seen the Jem movie, haven't you? I'm sorry.
May 12, 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DmonHiro
So... you've seen the Jem movie, haven't you? I'm sorry.
@DmonHiro Oh, the Jem film was far from the first in this matter. This is a very old meme. Although “anti-war” films and books with cool action will probably be older.
May 12, 10:38 PM

Jun 2019
MILF idol and she's not dead, perfect combo.
May 12, 11:37 PM

Jun 2019
This was the perfect episode to watch on Mother's Day (I realize that it aired the day before on Saturday, but I didn't happen to watch it until today).

I like how they took what seemed like she would be a one-off character when she was initially introduced back in episode one, and if anything a pretty minor and seemingly useless and annoying one too, and turned her into a major character in this episode as a dramatic focus and potential future associate or rival. But also, with her constant lying and social media-related fakeness, it had extra weight because even when she returned she wasn't reintroduced in the beginning or even the majority of the runtime of this episode as especially likable either. And I still don't love her and her personality traits, but she feels like a real person with both the good and the bad, and the way she immediately sprung into action willing to cast everything aside to sprint to the rescue and defense of her daughter was simply beautiful and a shining moment.
May 13, 9:51 AM

Apr 2015
This was the best episode so far imo, Really enjoyed Miiko's character. Hopefully she makes future appearances too.
May 13, 10:19 AM
Mar 2022
i like their approach during the start of the episode miiko's pitch was high. after the reveal, her voice is npw deeper signifying her normal voice. best episode for me along with last week when mahiru conquers her insecurity. hope that miiko and ariel form an idol unit and maybe....just maybe, this may be the break they need to be stars along with jelee
May 13, 10:44 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Buraot
i like their approach during the start of the episode miiko's pitch was high. after the reveal, her voice is npw deeper signifying her normal voice. best episode for me along with last week when mahiru conquers her insecurity. hope that miiko and ariel form an idol unit and maybe....just maybe, this may be the break they need to be stars along with jelee
@Buraot I understand what you're saying and it makes sense, but in general a lot of idols and VAs play with their public voice, especially if it's known for some unique timbre. For example, Inori Minase.
May 13, 10:58 AM
Jul 2019
shizue baba !!! ariel baba!!!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Pinoffin - Jun 1

195 by kalopsiia »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

116 by GrumpySylveon »»
3 hours ago

» Is anyone listening to the behind the scenes after episode discussions with the seiyuu?

WatchTillTandava - Jun 10

3 by akatsukinoluna »»
Jun 10, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Kano or Mahiru? Episode 9 Poll ( 1 2 )

Royalty459 - Jun 2

62 by Skizo10 »»
Jun 9, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 25

62 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 10:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.