Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 15, 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
So odd....I mean, this next station stop introduced a place where people had mushrooms coming right out of their head. Still, it seems like a fun place to be around with and the cast enjoyed their food there.

Despite how strange this episode, it still fits within this show's themes. Their slice of life adventure seems trying to be as creative as possible.
Apr 15, 5:31 AM

Feb 2020
The adventure just gets weirder. Those mushroom dudes were quite creepy.

I'm glad the girls didn't turn into mushrooms after all. Good job, Akira!

And now Akira is turning into an animal? Wow. Let's see what'll happen next.

SerafosApr 15, 7:52 AM
Apr 15, 5:49 AM

Apr 2016
Hey look, it's the mushroom kingdom ...

Seem like our adventurers would need to be more careful from now on, its a wide world after all ... full of dangers, and mushrooms ... Also, i like how the second part turned into a silent hill episode xD
Apr 15, 5:54 AM

Jul 2017
The 5th girl in the group, the original one who pushed the 7G button, it's Yoka Nakatomi, but what has she got to do with the girls, much less Shizuru, the one closest to her?

The people of Higashi-Agano with mushroom heads on them, they welcome Shizuru and the girls, though deep in Shizuru's mind, Yuka is never far away from her thoughts. The accommodation and hospitality aside, Akira not joining the girls for the mist sauna bath and having to witness rather weird things like people stalking and food which are all mushrooms, it's definitely suspicious, but she's only aware of it. Even then, bringing out Pochi is a rather safe, but dangerous idea, made only a fact that they MUST leave Higashi-Agano immediately.

The bitter melon growing out from the train, it's clear that they hate things related to sunlight, and mushroom is one that doesn't grow in sunlight. That, with the fog settling in and causing people to faint out of malnutrition, both Reimi and Nadeshiko not caring much and Shizuru feeling like she's down in the dumps, everyone is all growing mushrooms on their heads, Akira needs a solution quick from Zenjiro, which does not help that he reverts quick. It's literally a mushroom zombie apocalypse where Akira is the only sane one, and if pulling the mushrooms out of the heads isn't helping, helping Shizuru remember her end goal of reaching Yoka will do.

A field of weird mushroom situations...even one growing out of Akira's butt? Now that's a rather weird proportion.
Apr 15, 5:59 AM

Apr 2010
Well the mushrooms almost succeeded, seems in this world you need to look out for kindness.
The question now is whatever is growing on Akira's back is it a good thing or a bad thing, is it a mushroom.
Guess next week we will get the answer.

For now tho the girls are on their next adventure.
Apr 15, 6:05 AM

Aug 2017
The moment their heads turned in a creepy way to smile, was the moment you knew these people cannot be trusted.

My condolences to Akira.

Apr 15, 6:29 AM

Mar 2023
Shroom head town that were a little too high, wasting their life a way and trying to recruit more into their circle.

Fun episode, you never know what you're gonna get in this show
Apr 15, 6:31 AM

Sep 2022
KANLen09 said:
The 5th girl in the group, the original one who pushed the 7G button, it's Yoka Nakatomi, but what has she got to do with the girls, much less Shizuru, the one closest to her?

The people of Higashi-Agano with mushroom heads on them, they welcome Shizuru and the girls, though deep in Shizuru's mind, Yuka is never far away from her thoughts. The accommodation and hospitality aside, Akira not joining the girls for the mist sauna bath and having to witness rather weird things like people stalking and food which are all mushrooms, it's definitely suspicious, but she's only aware of it. Even then, bringing out Pochi is a rather safe, but dangerous idea, made only a fact that they MUST leave Higashi-Agano immediately.

The bitter melon growing out from the train, it's clear that they hate things related to sunlight, and mushroom is one that doesn't grow in sunlight. That, with the fog settling in and causing people to faint out of malnutrition, both Reimi and Nadeshiko not caring much and Shizuru feeling like she's down in the dumps, everyone is all growing mushrooms on their heads, Akira needs a solution quick from Zenjiro, which does not help that he reverts quick. It's literally a mushroom zombie apocalypse where Akira is the only sane one, and if pulling the mushrooms out of the heads isn't helping, helping Shizuru remember her end goal of reaching Yoka will do.

A field of weird mushroom situations...even one growing out of Akira's butt? Now that's a rather weird proportion.

It's not a mushroom on Akira's butt, but probably a tail because she's turning into an animal, which would also explain why she remained normal compared to the other girls.

Apr 15, 6:33 AM

Mar 2021
Wow this episode was certainly surprising and creepy its good to see Akira able to save the girls from becoming mushroom people.

One thing I don't get though, how was Akira able to use the rails to communicate with Zenjirou back in Agano when in the last episode we saw that the tracks behind them were destroyed by the rising water?
Apr 15, 6:34 AM
Mar 2021
interesting Akira refused to change her clothes in front of the girls twice

what is she hiding?
hmmmm
Apr 15, 6:39 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Kast2
KANLen09 said:

It's not a mushroom on Akira's butt, but probably a tail because she's turning into an animal, which would also explain why she remained normal compared to the other girls.
@Kast2 Shroom could also make sense, since the others had their minds affected, but she has been falling on her butt all episode instead.
Sauna could be the reason others were affected much faster.

Since other towns don't turn into animals at 255 months, it's possible they won't either. They're far from 255 months (21 years/3 months) anyway.

Further evidence is that the thing coming out of her butt appeared sturdy, a tail would likely bend.
Could still be an animal though
watsymApr 15, 6:46 AM
Apr 15, 6:40 AM

Apr 2014
Those mushroom people were fking creepy and scary.
What's growing on Akiba's butt? Hmmmm....... It could be another mushroom or maybe it's either an animal tail or a fox tail because the symbol of the next station, Musashi-Yokote, is a fox.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 15, 6:44 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Reecey91
Wow this episode was certainly surprising and creepy its good to see Akira able to save the girls from becoming mushroom people.

One thing I don't get though, how was Akira able to use the rails to communicate with Zenjirou back in Agano when in the last episode we saw that the tracks behind them were destroyed by the rising water?
@Reecey91 They're like twisted, but didn't break
Apr 15, 6:59 AM

Jul 2020
This was a truly insane yet awesome episode. Creepy mushroom people who are trying to infect the others is a really cool concept and the sense of building dread as we knew what was coming was well executed. If the next few episodes continue with wacky adventures building to a great finale this might just be (new) anime of the season. Still got a long way to go before then of course though.
Apr 15, 7:22 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Well, that turned darker quite a bit, not gonna eat mushrooms for a while.
Apr 15, 7:30 AM
Aug 2015
Reply to Aversa
Well the mushrooms almost succeeded, seems in this world you need to look out for kindness.
The question now is whatever is growing on Akira's back is it a good thing or a bad thing, is it a mushroom.
Guess next week we will get the answer.

For now tho the girls are on their next adventure.
Aversa said:

OMG! A mushroom? Haha! Rather, isn't it normal for people from her town to turn into animals? The dog-sniff might be a clue. Akira always reminded me a bit of a mean tiny dog, like a poodle.
Apr 15, 7:46 AM
Apr 2014
Wow that was good. Probably the most exciting episode of the entire season for me so far.
Apr 15, 7:58 AM

Apr 2010
Reply to costmuffled
Aversa said:

OMG! A mushroom? Haha! Rather, isn't it normal for people from her town to turn into animals? The dog-sniff might be a clue. Akira always reminded me a bit of a mean tiny dog, like a poodle.
@costmuffled Well i was thinking that it might be a tail and she is turning into some sort of animal but seeing as the where in the mushroom village i thought it could be a mushroom as well.
Wouldn't be the first time i see something like that happen in stories like this.
The are aren't in their hometown so who knows.
Apr 15, 8:12 AM

Mar 2021
watsym said:
@Reecey91 They're like twisted, but didn't break

ah ok I just assumed they completely broke apart.
Apr 15, 8:15 AM
Aug 2015
Reply to Aversa
@costmuffled Well i was thinking that it might be a tail and she is turning into some sort of animal but seeing as the where in the mushroom village i thought it could be a mushroom as well.
Wouldn't be the first time i see something like that happen in stories like this.
The are aren't in their hometown so who knows.
@Aversa Well, I can't say that the idea didn't also occur to me, but then I did my best "muri muri desu!" impression with hand waves and everything. Like, what if she got spored during her visit to the toilet? But that's just...not this genre.
Apr 15, 8:22 AM

Jun 2015
Creepy episode, I knew I cant trust those mushrooms!
/laughing at how Shizuru used those bitter melons and I just cant stop hearing Chisato (LycoReco)

Akira MVP! (did she just grew a tail?...or is it a mushroom??)
Apr 15, 8:30 AM

Mar 2021
A town populated by lazy mushroom zombies? Cool, cool. What a fun, weird little show.
Apr 15, 8:40 AM

Sep 2016
This was a really good episode. That horror vibe was nice and that scene when the mushroom dudes chased Akira was real tense.
Apr 15, 8:43 AM

Oct 2016
this episode felt really fcking stupid
the girls have been together since forever, and no one believed Akira when she had doubts? nah, chief, i dont buy that
there are better ways to force the horror plot
Apr 15, 9:13 AM
Dec 2020
Predictable yet fun/good episode.
Apr 15, 9:30 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Mikarin_Enjoyer
this episode felt really fcking stupid
the girls have been together since forever, and no one believed Akira when she had doubts? nah, chief, i dont buy that
there are better ways to force the horror plot
@Mikarin_Enjoyer They were getting brainwashed by the mushrooms
Apr 15, 9:37 AM
Aug 2023
imo the weakest episode so far. though the premise of the episode was good and very in theme for the anime, i thought the pacing was somewhat poor, with akira catching on to what was going on pretty early and yet for half of the episode we just see her getting ignored right off the bat. and that's pretty much all we see for most of the episode: akira growing suspicions and getting ignored. for an anime whose biggest strength has been its unpredictability, this episode was pretty predictable.
Apr 15, 9:46 AM

Mar 2020
The wonderful thing about anime originals is the unpredictability since no one can give any hints of what's going to happen next. No anticipation or anything, we just jump into everything blind. The suspense from this episode was very good and probably was the most unnerved I've felt from anything this season. We got to learn a bit more about Akira and her skepticism of what's around her, and I wonder what's growing out of her, a mushroom, or something else? I do admit the ending to this episode felt a bit anti-climactic or like a cop-out, but this was a pretty strong episode nonetheless. A really compelling show so far and I hope they can keep this going.
Apr 15, 9:47 AM

Jun 2019
Kast2 said:

If the transformation of the residents of Agano continues to conform to the timing rules they already set out, then she is still too young to turn into a (non-human) animal, since that's not supposed to happen until you're over 21 years-old, and while I don't believe their ages were ever directly stated, it seems apparent none of them including her are supposed to be that old or even close to it yet and more like mid-teenagers (I'm thinking 14 - 16 years-old at most).

The reason why she remained normal I thought was either because she didn't spend time absorbing the mist in the sauna building, or because she has a defiant, vigilant, questioning attitude from the start and all throughout rather than "going with the flow" (kind of the opposite spirit of the mushroom zombies' ideal), or both.

Mikarin_Enjoyer said:
the girls have been together since forever, and no one believed Akira when she had doubts?

They've been together since forever, but the show has also shown us since the beginning that they don't exactly always - in fact often don't, listen to each other and fight and bicker over small issues all the time. One of the whole driving forces behind part of the plot and Shizuru's character is the failure or breakdown in communication between Yoka and her in the past before the main events of the series.

Moreover, the rest of them are portrayed as somewhat more easygoing and carefree, and her suspicions weren't really based on anything factual or hard evidence. The direction of the show was using the "trick" of a quick zoom-cut to the mushroom villagers' facial expressions or a shot of mushroom villagers standing watching them from the distance from an angle that only Akira saw or no one but us saw, making Akira's concerns seem very valid and reasonable to her and the audience, but understandably not as much to the other girls.
WatchTillTandavaApr 15, 10:03 AM
Apr 15, 10:22 AM

Jan 2013
What the episode was missing
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Apr 15, 10:58 AM

May 2019
Yeah things got dark pretty fast as those mushroom people tried to force the girls to join them but luckily Akira kept her cool and questioned their hospitality.

I'm guessing that a tail is growing out of Akira's butt but I thought she's still too young to change into an animal, curious to see what that's all about.
Alfredo-SauceApr 15, 4:38 PM
Apr 15, 10:58 AM

Oct 2016
i just love people defending a weak plot point on characters that theyve seen for less than 60 minutes

jesus christ guys
Apr 15, 11:03 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
So those shrooms folks trying doin a favor to the girls since they visit their stops, its a happiness to them. They also doin it to their own consciousness not by the shroom parasitic behaviour making the motive kinda clear to this episode theme. Too bad, the act to prolonging their breathen also there, which kinda makes sense as a living being to cultivate more, but by trappin people like that? Yeah Akira my girl, you right, fast collect the supplies and get the hell outta there.

Also, idk why but really not expecting bitter melon to be a weapon against those shrooms. However, by looking at a quick google search you can see how bitter melon can works as an anti-fungi material, so this episode detail really appreciated.

Then Akira butt tho. Hemorrhoid? xd

29 stops left, let's hope they don't turned out get lost since i kinda have a feeling, next run gonna be more wild, especially with Akira that may turn inability for the rest of episode....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 15, 11:19 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
As soon as I saw the mushrooms and realize what series I was watching I was sure they were being portrayed as parasites. There's no way they would be that hospitable otherwise, mushrooms are evil, reject mushrooms at all costs. At least that's what our little lady was able to tell from the beginning to save their assess.

But what was she hiding jsut then...?
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 15, 11:22 AM

Jun 2019
Mikarin_Enjoyer said:
i just love people defending a weak plot point on characters that theyve seen for less than 60 minutes

jesus christ guys

Certain things can already be known well enough in that they are established as traits of characters early on. If something is a feature of the characters established in the first 15 minutes, does it not matter to the story and how we receive it just because we're early on in a series?

Also, certain things could be inferred in-episode (just from this episode alone).
Apr 15, 11:53 AM
Apr 2022
I thought that it was a mushroom on Akira's butt at the end there but it could be the beginning of her animal transformation. She must be the oldest of the group then.
Apr 15, 12:05 PM

May 2020
Stay away from mushroom guys!

Though in all seriousness, this series really giving reasons to stay away from a LOT of things. By the way, what’s growing behind that girl lol.
Apr 15, 12:06 PM

Sep 2023
This was such a fantastic episode. I loved the slow building dread and reveal of what the mushroom people really were. If we get more episodes like this, I'll be happy. Also, it seems like Akira might be turning into an animal already?
Apr 15, 12:44 PM

Apr 2012
The show continues to be pretty weird, but at least now it's also pretty memetic. A literal reference to conspiracy theories about the Freemasons? Mushrooms as a metaphor for brainwashing? Potential joke with a reference to some softcore porn martial arts manga? Very weird cliffhanger at the end? So much to think about lmao.
Apr 15, 1:24 PM

Sep 2009
Brainslugs move on. Brainshrooms supremacy.
Apr 15, 1:50 PM
May 2018
このアニメの大きな強みは、その世界観と詳細なデザインにあります。キャラクターデザインから世界の詳細まで、すべてが精緻で美しく描かれています。

しかし、このアニメの主な問題点は、ストーリーテリングの遅さと繰り返しにあります。物語の進行が時間とともに繰り返しや遅さを感じさせることがあり、これが視聴者の興味を失わせる可能性があります。この遅いリズムは、物語に活気やスパークが欠けているように感じさせることがあります。
Apr 15, 1:57 PM
Aug 2020
Another great episode

I really enjoyed every moments.

I was yelling, listening to her!!!

I love the « enfing »
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 15, 2:02 PM

Nov 2013
I think we all saw it coming. The mushroom-heads were a cult. I bet they won't be the last. So, these people will die in a year or two and are ok with it.
Wonder what other weirdos we're gonna meet.
Apr 15, 2:42 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Oh no! Akira's transformation into animal has begun. Should provide for more entertaining antics going forward. Also, props to her for being the only one of the group with enough sense to be suspicious in the presence of so many shrooms.

After 3 episodes and really enjoying all 3, I think I can allow myself to be excited for this show moving forward.
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Feb 2019
A village of people with mushroom’s growing out of their heads.. what could possibly go wrong.. most obvious trap set up ever, too bad Akira is the only one who was able to see through it.

While it’s annoying that they all ignored their friend’s concerns, it’s not thematically inconsistent because we’ve seen in the last couple episodes that they do talk over each other and not really listen all the time. I just wish someone else would’ve used their brain to actually hear out what Akira was saying.

All worked out in the end with them escaping the village and learning the mushroom people willingly gave up their bodies and minds to just escape all the craziness of the world.

Every episode seems to be testing the girls’ desire to get to Ikebukuro, they survived this week but they’re gonna have to be smarter going forward.. also that end with Akira having something growing out her butt was wild.

It can’t be her turning into an animal since they said that’s after 21.. but she didn’t get in the sauna to grow a mushroom either.. I noticed she didn’t want to change in front of the girls so she must’ve known something was up.. more questions to be answered.
Marinate1016Apr 15, 3:15 PM
Apr 15, 3:27 PM

Jul 2016
Man, this episode really felt like watching a moe version of one of Junji Itou's works. Even the part with the protagonists acting like complete idiots for the sake of the plot.

Pretty good episode. I felt Akira's frustration towards her careless friends almost on a spiritual level and that last scene with her realizing she had grown an animal tail was simply perfect.
Apr 15, 3:52 PM

Jun 2023
Yeah that’s probably a tail growing on her butt
Apr 15, 4:36 PM
Jul 2021
Ngl last episode bored me but this one has me curious again to find out more
Apr 15, 5:16 PM

Sep 2020
A fun light horror episode.
Somehow stories about outsiders visiting towns taken over by parasitic entities never get old to me.
Apr 15, 5:40 PM

Sep 2021
A really interesting and creepy episode. This show truly makes great use of it's world-building. There are already too few original fantasy worlds and even then it's far from developing them properly. But this show does a great job with this and I just love it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Today

21 by yagakimilover »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

93 by cooldogmom »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

70 by cooldogmom »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6

88 by cooldogmom »»
Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Poll: » (probably) a rare reason to like this anime

HaruyukiIsCute - May 30

19 by Lurna »»
Yesterday, 10:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.