Forum Settings
Forums

Best Mean score to say that you enjoy anime?

New
Apr 8, 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Why do bother watching anime when your mean score is around 4,5,6

Is it because you run out of good 8,9,10 shows or you prefer rating low?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 12:21 AM

May 2019
I think 7 is an appropriate score to say, i do enjoy anime but not everything i watched is up to my taste and standards.
Apr 8, 12:23 AM

Feb 2020
My mean score is kinda low nowadays due to all those random music videos I have watched during the past two years. It was over 7 before.

So, my anime mean score is still around 7.
Apr 8, 12:35 AM

Mar 2024
I think a mean score of 6 is fair. The mean score hardly matters if you're still finding anime that you thoroughly enjoy.
Apr 8, 12:37 AM

Sep 2018
The lower it is, the more you love anime because it means that you care about distinguishing as many different levels of good as possible (a 6/10 given by someone with a 3.5 mean score doesn't mean the same as the same score given by a 8.5). Those who don't care about anime that much will slap a 8/10 to anything that doesn't make them fall asleep midway and call it a day.
NirinboApr 8, 12:44 AM
Apr 8, 1:06 AM

Sep 2016
Who says that Anime someone scored 6 weren't enjoyable for them? This might apply for some people, but still is a wrong assumption.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 8, 1:33 AM

Sep 2018
Kaikaka_ said:
if you had care you wouldn't dropped that much of shows.

Loving animation as a medium doesn't mean loving every single existing anime, it should be obvious.

Kaikaka_ said:
giving 8/10 and lashing on it just cause you didn't for your system isn't fair

I'm not saying that my rating system is the only correct one. What I'm sure of is that having mixed feelings or straight up disliking something you rated 8/10 is objectively wrong (some people with a mean score above 8.5 are like this, I'm not making things up).
Apr 8, 1:37 AM

Dec 2021
I think that as long as your mean score is some very extremely precise digit (Like 7.36), then at least proves that you actually utilize the scoring system. Also, having a mean score above 3 also helps, since there are some people who exist just to give everything a bad rating, except for their one specific anime.

And also that one person who is all high and mighty about not scoring anything, but we don't talk about him here. You're free to do whatever you want, but the moment you act like an elitist and put yourself on a pedestal for not scoring anything, you kind of lose any air of being a person who's opinion matters.
Daviljoe193Apr 8, 2:43 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 8, 1:43 AM

Oct 2019
Mine is a 6.58 right now.

The thing is, there are plenty of 6-4/10 shows that I still really enjoy.

I love anime, even the bad or ok ones probably had some aspect that I enjoyed about them.

And putting that aside, I still find several new all time favourites per year. Even if I didn't like the shows I rated 6 or below, the few exceptional ones more than make up for it.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 8, 1:54 AM

Jan 2020
7.30 is my best mean score right now, that's because I can't give an 8/9/10 to every show I've watched and the score depends on how enjoyable these shows are to me.

Apr 8, 2:01 AM

Sep 2018
@Kaikaka_ It is wrong to assume that he loves anime more than someone with a lower mean score.
Apr 8, 2:24 AM

Apr 2020
I think 6 and 7 are good. It's practically impossible to like every show you have watched and, most of the time, the people who just slap 9 or 10 to every single show they watch are either new and young anime fans who, just started watching anime, or, their standards are very low. Also, to answer your question in the above post, most of the time you can't say if an anime, deserves a score if you don't watch at least an episode of the said anime first you can watch something and expect it to be an 8, and it ends up being a 5 and vice versa it's better to watch an anime for what it is and not about what score you will give to it.
Apr 8, 2:28 AM

Nov 2023
Mean score is 7.20 ish now, high 6 at its lowest.

I mean i would like it to be higher is that the main reason is that although I give a lot of 9 8 and 7s those badly scored ones basically pull it down like a lot, I don't generally slap a 10/10 to everything and I prefer measuring and critiquing it fairly to save for what they deserve and not a minor aspect.

Its really just a matter of what's the normal standards and what number we perceive as good, example one may view a 7 for you as 5

Ratris_DecisionApr 8, 2:33 AM
Apr 8, 2:35 AM

Sep 2018
@Kaikaka_ I prefer rating low to make use of a wider range of positive scores. For example:

- 8.5 mean score:
1-7 = bad
8 = decent or okay or fine
9 = good or very good
10 = great or masterpiece

- 4.5 mean score:
1-3 = bad
4 = decent
5 = okay
6 = fine
7 = good
8 = very good
9 = great
10 = masterpiece
Apr 8, 2:53 AM

Apr 2011
Well, you only rated 100+ anime so of course your mean score would be higher than the average MAL user.
Apr 8, 2:59 AM

Apr 2020
Cause 6 is fine. It's alright. Most Anime is decent, but nothing special.

I think it's more normal to view Anime as "alright", when looking at the medium, as a whole.
Having a mean score of 9 would mean that pretty much everything, that is out there, is amazing, which is just not the case. And Im not ONLY watching these Shows. Im watching Anime, like Im watching TV. Most of what you see is kinda ok, but not much more. But you still watch it. It's entertainment.

At least that's what I think...
Apr 8, 3:07 AM

May 2015
You wouldn't know if the show is good, deserving of 6+ score, until you watch it. Sometimes it's better to drop and not bother, but sometimes it's not so obvious until the last episode. Also, lots of anime are short or consist of one episode (you wouldn't normally drop a movie until you see it till the end), and they also contribute to the mean score. Besides, while the anime might not necessarily be good/better/best, doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. For me, even the anime I rate 2-4 still provide some enjoyment, otherwise it's a 1.
Apr 8, 3:13 AM
Oct 2019
First you have 100 entries just that will inflate your score if you enjoy almost everything you watch and are new to the medium.

Second mean score is more a representation of your overall meaning that if you are not under 4 like couple of users you might have run across in the forum someone could say that at least you enjoy the medium enough for the investment especially put back to back with the number of days a user would have.

Lastly if a person put her rating system on her profile and with it what value each number got you can get an actual representation of why the mean score is that way if you take the time of seeing every score individually to get an understanding of what the user do and how he rate. Also more time pass more entries added it's natural to assume that the score will go down as you can more hard to please and thus rate lower that in your beginning though it's not every users that it happens.
Apr 8, 3:48 AM

Apr 2011
@Kaikaka_

You can never run out of very good shows. Last week I watched The Apothecary Diaries and rated it an 8. But since there are more "fine" shows than "very good shows", my mean score is 6.46.
Apr 8, 4:04 AM

Dec 2021
Everybody has different standards and rating system. Most mal users can't count below 6 and would give 7 to a show they didn't even like. Like if 6 is a bad score, then what is 3 and 4?
My mean score rn is 6.4. And for me, A 6 or a 5 just means it was a decent/average show. Not bad or terrible. I had a fun time with it but it didn't really do too much for me. It was just fine. And having a broader rating system helps distinguish shows that TRULY means something to you. Like I only have around 25 shows out of 228 rated at 9-10(excluding sequel).
Apr 8, 4:06 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
My mean score was floating around 7 for the longest time, but it has since dropped due to a variety of factors.
-I'm watching more seasonal shows at a time rather than just cherry-pick ones I know I'll like so there will be bound to be ones that I may not like so much.
-I don't drop anime, so my score isn't hindered by anything dropped.
-I watch quite a fair bit of random stuff. Like specials, OVA's and short shows to avant-garde anomalies, music videos and, yes, even hentai. So in a lot of those cases, my score is rarely going to be a positive one.

I'm sure taking away a lot of the stuff on my list that I have for completionist sake I'd probably have a higher mean score.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Apr 8, 4:12 AM

May 2014
Mine is a 7.01 at the moment. I definitely enjoy most anime I watch and my most common rating is 7. For me a 7 means I enjoyed it as I was watching, but probably wouldn't re-watch. Some of my lower scores come from bad sequels I felt obligated to watch, bad movies or just lowering anime scores that I changed my opinion on a bit. I don't rate everything either. If I rated all the ova's or music videos my mean score would probably be way lower.
Apr 8, 4:24 AM

Apr 2011
@Kaikaka_

Yes, I use the MAL scoring system.

If you think about it, the mean MAL score (6.12) could be lower:

- if all scores were counted (not just those who watched at least 1/5 of a show)

- if the scale was 0-10
Apr 8, 4:25 AM
Feb 2014
If you have a mean score below a 6, i seriously start to question if you actually enjoy anime or find more enjoyment out of criticizing/picking it apart/shitting on it.

I think anything in the 7 range is a good mean score to have.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 8, 4:26 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to Dauphine
If you have a mean score below a 6, i seriously start to question if you actually enjoy anime or find more enjoyment out of criticizing/picking it apart/shitting on it.

I think anything in the 7 range is a good mean score to have.
@Dauphine Trust me, I've seen a lot of profiles from people who clearly like anime with low average scores. Though as I mentioned before, if someone's got a mean of 3 or lower, then yeah, they have some problems. Either that, or they're @Horshu, who's the exception to that rule.
Daviljoe193Apr 8, 4:30 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 8, 4:27 AM

Apr 2020
@Kaikaka_ After looking at your list while you have a lot of 10 you also have a lot of 8,7,5 etc.So how exactly every single anime is definetely a 10/10 when your own ratings don't follow that rule ?

Also @IKKIsama is right 142 anime are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to a such a vast medium its like saying that you ate 3 different plates of different foods so every food is perfect it doesn't work like that.
Apr 8, 4:43 AM

Aug 2021
my mean score is currently around 7-8. I'm currently watching some CGDCT theme and romance anime and I think I've found my comfort zone in anime that's why my mean score is so high currently. Before this my mean score was around 5-6.
Apr 8, 4:45 AM

Aug 2020
This question again.

Having a criteria doesn't mean you don't enjoy the media. Actually some of them enjoy way more and have been watching for lots of years. Some patterns become evident, and even though they still enjoy a lot, they can't give some shows an 8 since they've seen this idea before.

Apr 8, 5:14 AM

Jan 2023
Having some kind of criteria does not mean that the person dislikes anime, often times it’s the reverse because they are able to distinguish good from bad in their own perspective and preferences. People just look at the same thing in a different light, some are more critical while others just want to have a good time.

I’m at 6.54, my mean score has been slowly decreasing from like a 6.8 to 6.54 at this point and yet I love anime as a whole. 6 is an average for me, probably had a good time but nothing memorable or special. I also don’t drop anything which probably contributes to me having a lower score.
Apr 8, 5:25 AM

May 2018
The best mean score is higher than 5 and less than 8. People with such scores are usually the most based, experienced and respected.
People with higher scores are superficial, inexperienced snowflakes. People with lower scores are pretentious edgelords.
I often get poked for having low mean score. Like, come on. 5 means "average" and 6 means "nice". My 5.55 mean score is literally "above average".
@Kaikaka_ for example, you don't even use the lower half of scores. Which means you actually use a 5 score system, while the site intended a 10 score system. That means that your actual score is the number halved from your current score.
Yes, it is 4.06. Lower than mine. You enjoy anime less than I do actually. Or, let's say, I enjoyed my 3s more than you enjoyed your 6s. That's the difference between score systems for you.
You consider shows below 8 bad. I consider shows above 3 good. We are not the same.
Nemo_NiemandApr 8, 5:51 AM

Apr 8, 6:14 AM

May 2018
@Kaikaka_
That's what I meant. Everyone uses his own system. I didn't want to say that you don't enjoy anime, friend. All I wanted to say is that other people enjoy it, too. Even with their low scores. For example, my personal credo is: "I enjoyed each single show I finished. Even if it is a 1, 2 or 3". And when many people try to convince me that I don't enjoy anime or my taste is bad, that makes me a bit sad.

Apr 8, 6:22 AM

Jan 2019
I think it's quite normal to have a mean score of 6.0 ~ 7.2ish if you have watched a decent amount of anime

but does it really matter?
People who has a mean score of 4.5 just have stricter way to score their anime, where there's more range of "above average".
Their way of scoring is just a more strict and objective, not that because they don't enjoy anime
Apr 8, 6:37 AM

Jan 2023
I think if you're utilizing the system how its supposed to be used, your mean score should be somewhere between 5.5 and 7. 5 is completely dead center, but people USUALLY watch anime that they think they will like, therefore making the mean a bit higher than 5. I also watch anime that I think will be bad because it's part of the experience. To know what makes an anime good, you should watch bad ones to see why they are bad.

If your lowest score of all anime is like a 7, I think you either rate things way too high or you are trolling and dont actually care about the rating system.
死人に口なし
Apr 8, 6:55 AM

Aug 2020
@Kaikaka_ They will rate lower since the novelty those tropes bring wear out. If one's average score was 7, with time it will drop to 6 or 5 (the most obvious definition of average).

And yes, memorable good shows are few. But average funny shows are still interesting in their own way, just not on the same level.

Apr 8, 7:20 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Daviljoe193
@Dauphine Trust me, I've seen a lot of profiles from people who clearly like anime with low average scores. Though as I mentioned before, if someone's got a mean of 3 or lower, then yeah, they have some problems. Either that, or they're @Horshu, who's the exception to that rule.
@Daviljoe193 Lol.Im gonna be honest I even fucking hate new anime, although I find some aspects nice about the Low rated ones I watch. Some I will let you know once I Find a good new anime

Worst new gen: BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
and second worst: MADE IN ABYSS!
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 8, 7:23 AM

Nov 2020
To me, a 6/10 means a show is solid with some drawbacks, so averaging a 6 means I'm mostly watching things I like. I know somebody who rates everything they don't like as a 1, and then 2/10 and upwards means they like it to different degrees, so their average is incredibly low. Ratings mean different things to different people.
Apr 8, 7:40 AM

Apr 2017
5 is average, if you watch past a certain amount of shows (seasonals, sequels, etc) shouldn't everyone mean be around a 5? 6 if your crazy with it and dedicated to watching the good stuff. If you think every anime is a 7 8 9 hell a 10 I think that's kinda crazy. Just because its anime doesn't mean its going to be great, just like a piece of media from anywhere else it can be an only for-profit piece of garbage or a horribly directed mess.
Apr 8, 7:50 AM

Nov 2019
I don't rate 7 for a mediocre anime like most people. I prefer ultilising the rating available at hand, even though 1-and-2 scoring are a bit paranoid.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 8, 12:20 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
5 = average, where for most part I feel bored. These I'm likely to drop. 5 and lower I'm dropping quite likely... (since I've stopped my no drop policy loooooooooong time ago)
6 = it's "okay/fine", where for most part I did enjoy it, thus "positive" score... do drop them occasionally.

6 and higher are good scores = I enjoy them = I don't drop them = thus making them good/fun/enjoyable .

Kinda been my go to scoring logic since I've started watching anime back in 2008 , and I've seen fair share.

Haven't updated for ages, but in a nutshell my scoring logic ..... for the most part still applies. But yeah, personal enjoyment plays always much higher role when it comes to any of my free time hobbies by how I score anime/games/movies/series/music
Apr 8, 2:35 PM

Jan 2013
It completely depends on how many shows you've seen in total, but if it's like 200 and your mean is a 4.5, you're doing something wrong.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 8, 2:59 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think that's any real indication of how much someone likes the medium. I enjoy most of what I see, but if I have issues with something, that's going to impact the score. That's why I have no 10's. And my score would be even lower if I actually rated things I drop.

But never mind me, your example scores are questionable in general. I would understand you wondering why someone with a 1-3 mean bothers watching, but 4-6 is reasonable. Not everyone just hands out 7's like it's a mediocre rating or higher ratings because they thought something was kinda good. Which another thing you didn't take into account; people just outright not using the lower numbers. Another reason it's not a great indicator.
FanofActionApr 8, 3:04 PM
Apr 8, 6:16 PM
Apr 2022
my mean score is 5.87 and it's because i tend to watch most of anime seasonals. it's bound to be more lower than normie people who try to only watch top tier shows.

with that said, when i drop bad shows i also rate them. so, that would also be a factor. in fact, there are completed anime score distribution and mean score in the statistics.

my mean score for completed shows is 6.3 which is higher than 5.87. it means i don't try to force myself to complete shows that i consider bad

my highest score in the completed distribution score is 6, followed by 7, and then 8. it means that i find there are more fine(6) seasonal animes than actual good(7) or great(8) ones.

all in all, i just watch and complete seasonal shows that i find enjoyable. it's not my problem that some seasonal animes are shit
Apr 8, 6:27 PM

Sep 2015
My mean score is around 6,2
That's because mainly I was a teenager when I began watching anime and I wasn't as nitpicky as I am today, also my standards weren't as high, I binge-watch whatever anime out there.

Nowadays, I rarely keep watching anything I'd rate 6 or below.
Apr 8, 7:01 PM
Jonin

Feb 2023
7 and above I enjoyed the series and would recommend it to someone else. Any lower and I wouldnt recommend it. I do wish there was a decimal system for rating on MAL.
Apr 8, 7:18 PM

Nov 2019
I do see my mean dropping to 5.XX someday, but that doesn't change how positively I feel towards anime as a whole. I don't think mean score is a great metric, when literally everyone uses the system differently.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Apr 8, 8:16 PM
Jun 2019
My mean score is relatively very high compared to most people's on this site because of how I grade things.

I much prefer grading things on a 1 to 5 scale like star rating systems instead of 1 to 10 because I personally don't have that much of a variation in my personal enjoyment/rating of a show, for example I wouldn't be able to properly differentiate between what qualifies as a 6/10 and as a 7/10 show for me.

So I instead consider my 6 rating to be equal to a 1 star rating, 7 = 2 stars, 8 = 3 stars, 9 = 4 stars, 10 = 5 stars.

So if you take my mean score and translate it into stars my mean score is more like 3.8 stars
Apr 8, 8:28 PM

Apr 2023
my mean scores are above 8, because I only watch things I think I'll enjoy, and my intuition has mainly turned out to be right. Except in one case.
Apr 8, 10:57 PM

Jun 2020
My mean score is 7 even though I really like most of the anime I watch. I guess it’s not higher because I rate OVA’s and dropped anime pretty harshly

Apr 9, 10:18 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Adverrito
my mean score is 5.87 and it's because i tend to watch most of anime seasonals. it's bound to be more lower than normie people who try to only watch top tier shows.

with that said, when i drop bad shows i also rate them. so, that would also be a factor. in fact, there are completed anime score distribution and mean score in the statistics.

my mean score for completed shows is 6.3 which is higher than 5.87. it means i don't try to force myself to complete shows that i consider bad

my highest score in the completed distribution score is 6, followed by 7, and then 8. it means that i find there are more fine(6) seasonal animes than actual good(7) or great(8) ones.

all in all, i just watch and complete seasonal shows that i find enjoyable. it's not my problem that some seasonal animes are shit
@Adverrito

Do you see your mean score for completed shows on anime.plus?
Apr 9, 11:12 AM

Mar 2024
4-5 is the most stable personally.

There are too many junk anime. I'm disappointed to see a user whose average rating is above 8. Something really ugly is to see a list of anime where the user rates too many anime with 10, it makes their tastes feel ambiguous; a phrase that captures some of this is: If you love everyone, you don't really love anyone.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - 11 hours ago

16 by LoveYourSmile »»
14 minutes ago

» Favorite anime spring 2024

ani2016 - Yesterday

16 by 7_3 »»
21 minutes ago

» Style of watching

Vapor_AU - Yesterday

33 by Nirinbo »»
22 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7222 by damiJESUS »»
37 minutes ago

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

15 by nmarquesantos »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.