Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Oct 31, 2017 3:03 PM

Jul 2013
I really liked it although the end confused me.
Dec 31, 2017 8:37 PM

Feb 2013
That turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting.

That "bat man" scene really got the movie going. Dang, that got freaky.

The whole falling (into the sky) thing is terrifying. Great job on the angles. My hands would have been too sweaty to maintain grip just watching.
Fear of heights/falling is what made this movie good.

I didn't really like how the head dude was practically a cult leader. Ha ha, it was he who was inverted. I think it would have been better if he "knew" the truth but had been trying to keep it covered up for "peace" or something... would have fit with that society a bit better...

I kind of saw the twist coming (fake sky was a pretty big giveaway), but it was still a nice transition from the beginning, were Patema was assumed to be the "inverted" one.

8/10 (very good)
I was never bored watching this. Kept my attention very well.

I don't understand previous posts about not understanding the ending...
BurntJellyDec 31, 2017 8:51 PM
Jan 30, 2018 12:39 AM

Jan 2012
So from reading other people's comments apparently Eiji's world was in fact the true underground world all along, and he was inverted not Patema. The world they discovered at the end being the true surface. Mind you I probably never would have come to that conclusion on my own, but reading it makes sense. Maybe it's that inability to understand that has left me fairly indifferent about this film. Before reading those comments as the credits rolled my primary thought was, "Well, that sure was a movie." Not bad, not good, just a movie. The thing that probably stood out to me the most honestly was the over the top douchey villain who I couldn't wait to see get killed since pretty much his first scene. Patema and Eiji's relationship, the core of the film, was cute...but that's it. Nothing fantastic or anything like that. Certainly not something on say a Renton/Eureka level, but then there really wasn't enough time for anything like that to develop. For me anyway. I dunno, even other films with similar runtimes have certainly done relationships better. The one I watched just yesterday for instance From Up on Poppy Hill. The visuals were fine, and things certainly got trippy with all the inversions, but I dunno. I don't really feel like this movie will stick with me. More of a forgettable curiosity than anything else. But considering the overwhelmingly positive reviews of it I'm reading by others I dunno, maybe I just didn't get it. I'll still give it a 7 out of 10 which is my generic "good" score.
Aug 8, 2018 3:40 PM

Dec 2012
This movie really does a fantastic job at putting things into perspective. Whether it was Patema slowly overcoming her fears of falling into the sky or Age beginning to learn what she was going through, it's able to take that concept of being upside and turn it on its head. For me, it had to be the moment when Age almost falls off the top of the tower that made me finally understand Patema's fear of the "sky."

But even in that fear, there was beauty to be found. Even as Patema was afraid, she was able to admire the starlight and share that connection with Age. Even though fear & fascination were what divided their perspectives, they could still find common ground by learning to understand one another. And really, it's that theme of overcoming differences to unite that makes this movie ring so true. For Age & Patema, who lived in two entirely different worlds, they were able to find that bond through holding onto each other.

Something else that this movie made me think of is that with freedom comes fear. It's overcoming that fear that makes freedom so precious.

8.5/10
Sep 4, 2018 10:04 PM

Nov 2017
That was pretty cool. There are a few parts that didn't make any sense to me, like when Porta and Age go to rescue Patema. How the hell did Porta get to the tower if he pulls Age towards the sky? How the hell did he get back underground afterwards? Even if there was something he was doing to traverse the world it surely wouldn't have taken him such a short amount of time to get there and back, let alone by himself.

Also, Age and Patema falling to the sky (or rising, idk) took long enough for them to pass out, wake up, and still be falling, yet somehow the flight machine slowly rising takes them maybe 3 minutes to see the ground. I'm not sure if the machine is faster than it looks, or if Age and Patema just fell really slow, idk.

Whatever it was still a cool movie. I'm not one to lose sleep over a few things like that, I enjoyed it.

8/10
impastaSep 4, 2018 10:16 PM
Sep 22, 2018 3:49 PM

Sep 2014
it was a nice watch, but I highly doubt it would be good a second time, it basically relied on the plot twists to stay interesting. The fake sky they landed on was a pretty weak plot point, there is just so much wrong with it.

Surprisngly enough literally nobody was on the "real" surface of earth, which seems odd as well. Apparently there are only few humans left in total. Just when it was about to get interesting to see how the societies would react the movie is over. Convenient.

The whole concept seems interesting at first but the closer you look the worse it gets. Generic no character evil dude, generic no character acually nice hecnhman of evil dude.
The "romance" was weak, the "oh look at this nazi society" was weak. Wtf was that 5 minute scene with nothing but photos of Lagos and his father.

the Ost might as well be calles non existent, there was one good song and that was used like once in the middle of the movie and for the credits.

And how they managed to make a 2013 movie look so bad at times is beyond me. It had nice backgrounds, but the overall artytsle seems more like from a series then from a movie. Oh, and this is the first anime/movie which managed to give me motion sickness. Not when the camera turned around, no. During Patemas stay in the lodge. Was that animated which half the fps or what? Not even pure CGI anime like Sidonia no Kishi were that bad.

I see the director getting honored for his works quite often, I really wish to know for what exactly.

I will give it a 7/10 mostly for the unique concept. It should probably be a 6 considering 0 rewatch value or even a 5 considering dated artstyle and boring ost. But since the initial experience was alright I will leave it at 7 for now.

This is as shallow as it gets. The high score is beyond me and a shame for all the actually good movies.
Comander-07Sep 22, 2018 3:59 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 15, 2018 5:16 AM
Mar 2017
I just finished watching Sakasama no Patema (Patema Inverted) and I absolutely love the concept. I've watched the film "Upside Down" and I must say that this is definitely better.

However, the ending is a bit confusing.

I understand that Patema and her people are actually the "real" ones - the ones who aren't really inverted and Eiji/Age are the ones who are really inverted. And the world of Aiga is just something the scientists created out of guilt because they wanted the inverted people to still have a normal life.

The part where I'm confused is regarding the email shown at the end. From what I understand (and desperately hope), there are people who continued living on the "abandoned" original surface and deduced that there must be an area in the whole planet where it wasn't damaged by the failed experiment aka the other side of the Earth's mantle (wherever that is). When they settled there and tirelessly searched for a cure for those who are inverted, they found one and they're urging whoever has received their email to disseminate information in order for those who are inverted learn the truth and will be able to live normally.

So now, they're urging people to go on to the place specified by those coordinates and are willing to wait for generations. From that point of view, is it safe to assume that once Patema and Eiji's people go to that place, they'll be able to step on the same ground, fix everything, unite mankind, and live happily?

Because I seriously want the two of them to get together and live a happy life. I can't even start to imagine how hard it must be to have your boyfriend upside down and you have to hug each other all the time just to go on dates or something.

I really hope that my assumption is correct.
PurpleRose328Oct 15, 2018 5:39 AM
Mar 30, 2019 11:32 PM
Dec 2018
All I got to say is "well that was interesting" and I liked the movie
Mar 31, 2019 12:03 PM

Jun 2015
interesting plot point but honestly i was bored most of the movie. felt like it relied too heavily on visuals, and the twists of it. villain didn't have depth and the dude who betrayed him had like no depth or reasons as to doing such too.
May 22, 2019 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
OBSERVATIONS:
- The “mysterious stranger” — “BAT MAN” — who scared Patema at the beginning of the movie causing her to fall down the pit. WHO WAS HE? They never revealed that! Why was he there? HOW did he get there? Age’s world apparently hadn’t a clue where the Inverts were hiding. So how did this one man find it? How did he climb down the hole? How would he have gotten back out? Wouldn’t this one “bat man” have revealed his findings to Age’s world? The figure ends up disappearing and we never found out what he was doing underground. This is one example of the film revealing something, only to never touch up on it again.
- What happened to Lagos? What was his fate? We saw him in a test tube but was he dead? The movie stereotype is that test tubes can conserve a body. The film never touched on what happened after his body was revealed too Patema. We saw her shocked expression and that was it. Other than that, we just know that he was “captured”. Seems like the film forgot to touch up on that.
- Did you notice how at the beginning of the movie: Age leaves Patema in the shed and heads to school, and sneaks on a conveyor belt (smiling and then frowning). Then SHORTLY AFTER, he’s shown running through the grass, sneaking alongside a wall, and then jumping on an entirely DIFFERENT conveyor belt? Inconsistent much? Wouldn’t the first belt have led to the second one?
- Patema has multiple stuffed animals in her room, including a hen and a rabbit. I don’t think Patema OR Age’s world know animals are though. Especially Patema’s. Neither worlds actually have animals, as far as we can tell. So… what does Patema think the stuffed animals are based on? (Then again, Lagos apparently knows what “bats” are — since he knows “bat men” allegedly exhibit the same traits as the animal.)
- The first two inverts to ever witness Age’s world (aside from Lagos) were Patema and Lagos. How come Age was just there — by coincidence — at that time and location — both times the inverts climbed on the fence.
- So Age’s world turned out to be the inverse one. I still can’t believe it’s entirely underground though, and that they somehow managed to simulate clouds and a blue sky.
- Not that this is relevant to the plot, but does Age have a mother? He was very reckless throughout the movie as if he had a death wish or as if he could YOLO without troubling any family. I know his dad is dead, but who is Age staying with? Where does he live? I guess this would lead me to think he lives in a type of boarding school style settlement. There’s one (somewhat irrelevant) shot in the movie that flashes to Age’s desk… his comparably messier than the others, and featuring photos of his father (and the sky). These kinds of things are forbidden, which leads me to think this shot of his desk takes place in his dorm room.
- And Patema? Where’s her parents? I don’t think her OR Lagos are related to “Gramps”. Patema’s “family” (as they’re called in the movie) are actually just her acquaintances.
- Age gets shot in the leg but in the next scene he doesn’t even notice it. Just an observation. You can justify this one by saying he’s stunned by his new surroundings (discovering the “real” surface), which distracted him from the pain. But still. He got shot in the leg, was eventually rendered unconscious, and later woke up without feeling a thing.

SIDE NOTE:
I think the plot progression was sort of typical. Predictable at times. Nonetheless, the concept is innovative, unique, and ambitious; and it’s decently executed. Also the art was astounding. Extraordinary. It stands out. It’s detailed. It’s “pretty”, and “beautiful”. It’s colorful, and immersive. The concept is good and the art is great, and I just want to point that out. A few reviews said the plot was bad (which it wasn’t HORRIBLE — just kind of inconsistent at times)… and some said the art was bad, which is an awful thing to say because the art for this movie must’ve taken ages to produce. If this movie doesn’t have good animation then I don’t know what does. My criticism lies, once again, in the plot inconsistencies. And because it was kind of hard to keep up with the inversions and multiple perspectives — my dense-ass brain had a hard time processing everything. The character traits were a bit forced, like the main villain and the protagonist. Finally, as one review put it, the movie leaves you with more “questions” than “answers”. There’s still so much I’m wondering about. And not so much as the fate of the character AS MUCH as the logic behind the world. Age’s world turned out to be the inversion, but geez, how did they construct such a simulation like that. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I give the movie an 8 for effort, and I think if some of my concerns were nonexistent it could easily be a 10.
Jun 7, 2019 11:28 PM

Feb 2018
Love but different from the world. At the end of the moon look like the planet Saturn. So Patema is the real inhabitant of the earth?
Oct 18, 2019 7:55 PM

Feb 2012
Rewatched this again on the 17th.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 17, 2019 8:54 AM
Apr 2018
This movie was interesting but as said before here it left so many questions.

-The place we see at the end. Let's say that it is the real world, not inverted one. Why the building there were like that? I felt like they were building that crashed at this side of the world at first.

- Where the main villain has gone at the end? Is there something beyond the sky or just stars or so. Also there should be a place that all the building and other debris gone. We didn't see anything like that, right? But that main antagonist probably saw it.

I said these things considering this image which was posted here before

https://m.imgur.com/jAHOd7n
Dec 22, 2019 11:29 PM

Jun 2019
It's either my brain is too slow or the movie is too good cause i didn't expect that plot twist until the end.. this movie is awesome for me 10/10... Glad i spare my time to watch this
Dec 25, 2019 1:47 PM

Sep 2019
I was thinking about watching this movie quite a time now but never had the chance to watch but today at last I did. It was mind blowing experience. 8/10
Jan 14, 2020 1:38 PM

Nov 2014
That moon sure was close. And considering all the debris around it, it seems safe to assume it's the source of "reversed" gravity. The only question is why some people are unaffected.

Overall the whole inversion idea was really cool and camera changes worked great. Sadly, the conflict was way too one sided and it killed the twist a bit - while I didn't expect the real sky is below them (I expected it on the other side lol), that whole blaming history and censoring gave it right away that bad guys were the real inverted.
May 21, 2020 1:06 AM

Jun 2014
Interesting concept and nice plot twist, but the characters were so cliché.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 15, 2020 5:32 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I never seen the alternate world of the earth like these. 3 worlds with two sided gravitation, the inverted one. I pretty loling about that. Its incredible. This was truly a masterpiece, no doubt about it.

I mean, you met with the inverted people before? Its crazy! Its unique! For the storyline that pretty unique and so creative, for the sake of my pure soul, this show really deserved on my 10 list! Thats it....
badabassJun 15, 2020 5:49 PM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 15, 2020 5:48 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Rojitoki said:
This movie was interesting but as said before here it left so many questions.

-The place we see at the end. Let's say that it is the real world, not inverted one. Why the building there were like that? I felt like they were building that crashed at this side of the world at first.

- Where the main villain has gone at the end? Is there something beyond the sky or just stars or so. Also there should be a place that all the building and other debris gone. We didn't see anything like that, right? But that main antagonist probably saw it.

I said these things considering this image which was posted here before

https://m.imgur.com/jAHOd7n

I guess, he just died. Because, yeah, the real sky must be in the real world we have seen in the end.

This is my opinion toward this beautiful movie:
Thats it. Maybe. Lmao.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 20, 2020 7:14 AM

Sep 2017
Need more patema <3
Nov 21, 2020 12:04 PM

Jul 2008
So the whole world went to the sky? When they went to the true surface no one was there and yet the power was still on...and Aiga were the true inverts.

I enjoyed it just fine, 6/10
Dec 6, 2020 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
Was ok. Interesting to some degree but far too simplistic. It was speedrunning to many cliches. If they were to try kinky stuff, how would it look like? XD
I know that director-kun can do better than that.
Jan 1, 2021 7:24 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The concept of inverted worlds is pretty good but for the plot itself it was quite generic, but still a fine movie overall
Feb 15, 2021 2:08 PM
Mar 2018
So does anyone who was the guy that startled Patema at the start of the film? This character is never mentioned ever again as far as I know. It couldn't be one of Eiji's people because they had no idea up untill that point how to reach the "inverted" people? So who was that?
Apr 3, 2021 2:41 PM

May 2016
barely hit the 8 mark for me but one thing i am dying too know is what about that industrial world at the top of the sky? is there any explanation to that? no one lives there?
Jun 18, 2021 5:15 PM

May 2014
Interesting idea and plot. I wished to see more about the normal and inverted people's past. At some parts, it felt a bit rushed. Nevertheless, great animation and cool music. All in all, alright movie, but a bit overrated. A fair 5-6/9 is what it deserves.

Also, why didn't we see the kiss? I mean like seriously why??? It had a big impact on the story and would make the whole movie better. Also, a bit annoying we didn't see Lago's dead body. I guess it would prevent them with a low PG rating, hence not suitable for kids. LOL.
Jun 18, 2021 5:18 PM

May 2014
japzone said:
Yamada2 said:
A question to all those who claim Patema's people were not the inverted ones, how do you explain that ending? In the end, the gravity for those underground reversed and we could see dozens of buildings lying on the ground which were certainly not present before.

As many people pointed out above you:

Thanks. I didn't realize that. :P
Jun 18, 2021 5:21 PM

May 2014
Puppet said:
I'm still kind of confused about Lagos.

Loved the concept of inverted gravity, wish there was a diagram of this world. I was surprised no one got engulfed by magma though.

I guess you need to dig deeper to get to that part of the earth. :P
Jun 27, 2021 10:56 PM

Sep 2020
Wow 😲 This movie is Awasome Great story, Animation, Music, Aside from that our MCs are very likable and there wholesome romance really hit at right spot in my heart .

It's 9/10 for me , The plot twist at the end was huuuuuuuuuuge and I love it.
Jun 30, 2021 8:47 AM
Mar 2021
DAMN the last twist was really blown my mind! Great movie 9/10
Sep 8, 2021 3:11 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
As someone who suffers from vertigo, watching this made me feel very uneasy. Every scene someone was hanging from the """ceiling""" I thought subconsciously that they were going to fall off and die, just as Patema almost did at the very beginning. Fortunately that wasn't the case but I suspect my fear won't vanish on a rewatch.

Other than that, it was a surprisingly thought provoking movie. It teaches us empathy by showing how one point of view may not be the only truth to the matter very explicitly, and that's great. The character interactions were... fine and the villain was too crazy for some reason I didn't really get. There were some good tracks in the OST though not all of them fit the scene they were used on.

Overall recommendable, but do take into account the vertigo part. Flipping the monitor upside down won't solve the problem either.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 28, 2021 6:05 AM
Jul 2021
I still didn't understand the concept of why were the things up and why were the things down, but I still enjoyed it though. And I am also sure that Isaac Newton would love this film😂
Nov 28, 2021 6:06 AM
Jul 2021
The concept of this film was very creative
Apr 2, 2022 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
Out of all anime I've watched, the closest one to this is probably the first season of SAO.

Third anime with an Esperanto reference finished this week, first being Galactic Railroad then Aria the Origination and this.
Jun 13, 2022 2:19 AM

Mar 2013
Now this is what I'd call a great story! 10/10.
Sadly, there wasn't an intimate romance between the two but I guess in the end, the difference between inverted and non-inverted people has been given hope to finally understand one another or that's probably how it will go.

This is one of those stories where you can feel that what you're watching is surreal and fantasy-like instead of a haphazardly created world.

P.S. I really love Patema's Japanese VO/CV, it is really cute, wonderful, soothing and lovely. I haven't seen anything like hers from these past years.
CrazyButNot4UJun 13, 2022 2:25 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 24, 2022 3:27 AM

Jan 2020
I was skimming through the top anime movies/specials/OVAs the other day to find stuff to pad my completed list between binging my stalled list and found this. So, I threw it into my queue and just planned to watch it, not particularly knowing what to expect. The premise seemed fairly interesting at least.

My main regret at this point is that I binged the OVAs before starting this, and while that built up a lot of hype and got me excited, I'm basically rewatching the same scenes again for the first 20 minutes. There are some slightly additions, but I could've just skipped the OVA and came straight here. I was under the impression that the OVAs were going to be a prologue of sorts and tell the events leading up to how the movie begins. I was utterly bamboozled.

I really like Age's attitude upon initially meeting Patema. Especially when he's like, "I'm not going to hurt you. So what if you're upside down?" It comes off as funny to me because he's treating it like it's some horrible stigma, which in this story I guess it is. But, just thinking about it from my perspective, as a viewer, just imagining someone walking around on my ceiling and I'm just like, "Well, they aren't hurting anyone. I don't see the problem."

The real question is, what happens if Patema goes to the bathroom?

The dialogue in this is really amusing to me. In general though, the characters and voice acting are all really well done. Like, everyone suits their roles, so what the say comes off really on point. I also liked how Porta called Age "invert boy." Because it was clearly meant to be something derogatory but since the concept of inversion isn't necessarily relevant to us, the viewers, it just comes off as almost silly.

Another thing of note: the setting is brilliant. The art does a fantastic job of conveying the feeling of each scene. I think it's one of the most successful series I've seen in that sense. I really appreciated it and I tend not to care too much about visuals.

As a final thought, and I'll put this in spoilers because it mentions significant events.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 30, 2022 8:51 AM
Nov 2020
The movie is very interesting and intriguing! I was flabbergasted when I saw Saturn in the end like WOAH LMFAO. Anyways, I'm glad I've watched this. It's very pog(~‾▿‾)~
Aug 15, 2022 9:24 PM

May 2019
japzone said:
Yamada2 said:
A question to all those who claim Patema's people were not the inverted ones, how do you explain that ending? In the end, the gravity for those underground reversed and we could see dozens of buildings lying on the ground which were certainly not present before.

As many people pointed out above you:

Have to quote it again. Thanks.

So the catastrophic event nearly killed and affected all the humanity, with Patema's people being the rare exceptions.

That would explains why the real surface of Earth seems to be empty.
Sep 1, 2022 9:03 AM
Jan 2016
It's kind of like the upside-down Hollywood movie. That movie came out earlier than this so I am not sure if this is a borrowed concept or original. But, I liked this movie.
There were a few unexplained things in this movie as to how the upside-down people used to survive for so long just by gathering scraps from underground. There was no explanation about the water supply for them as well.

It also never explained the 'bat man' people that were shown initially in the movie because later on, we see that they are oblivious about the location of these inverted people. We see a man-made structure in the sky but never explained what that was and how it came to be. The same goes for the sky that we can see at the end.

Apart from these few unexplained things, I think it was a good watch. But I could never bring myself to watch it again. So, for a one-time thing, this was a great movie and I'd recommend it to others to watch it.
If they add a supernatural tag to the genre, it'd be more fitting and these problems could be ignored. But, not with the sci-fi tag.
Jan 22, 2023 2:39 PM
Sep 2011
Better than expected but did seem to drag a little bit an quite hard to understand. but still a good film
Mar 26, 2023 10:36 PM

Dec 2009
For some reason I don't have the thought process to criticize or find faults in it,
but I did enjoy it.

Quite charming and epic,
even though a villain with that goal is bizarre and dumb. Imagining how no one would oppose him makes this feel implausible, but very enjoyable overall even with its few holes and mysteries like another thread pointed out. 6/10.

Somewhat surprisingly, after finishing all of his work.
Time of Eve remains his best work. Even with the slightly disappointed left wanting more ending.
Aug 12, 2023 1:08 AM
Nov 2022
Great move, good ending
Sep 18, 2023 10:54 AM

Nov 2010
The concept is interesting. I wish they explored the world more, especially the heavily industrialized city in the sky that looked like stars from afar.

I had to look for a map to understand the ending better, and it looked like Patema and her people were the normal ones, while Age and his people were the inverted ones that hid underground. The industrialized city that looked like stars from afar was, in fact, close to the Earth's core.

I like the mask worn by the Security Soldiers. They look badass!
Jan 10, 8:30 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Samhiuy
Predelnik said:
Well I don't see love as being main topic of the movie, and they haven't even kissed so somehow I didn't have much problem with that. Though for example in "Kokurikozaka kara" quick love escalating was the only issue in movie for me :)

The ending is kinda Shyamalanesque ending I believe:

I liked the movie but for me it was a bit more action packed than desired and a bit too loud (maybe it's just director's style). 3D was justified and used in right places which is great.

PS Forgot to add - The favorite scene for me was - when school students having the same (kinda copycat) appearance while they're looking down are suddenly becoming all different from each other when they're starting to look at the sky.

I think they did kissed. Do you remember the scene when they "fell" into sky and landed "there"? The first time they faced each other directly instead of upside down was inside the airship. Their forehead pressed against one another and then the scene shifted to outside the airship. Here it blocks off the whole view and you can only see Patema. Her head moves further into the airship, so it is implied that they kissed. We don't know because we couldn't see the whole thing, but I bet they did.

Honestly I love the whole movie: it's a lot deeper than what people thinks. Patema and Age could not fully understand each other at first because their views are different. Age could only understand her fear when he "fell" into the sky - he became the one who needs Patema in order to not fall.

This applies in our society as well. We sympathized with others and think we understand their pain, but in reality we do not. Unless we fully devote ourselves into stepping into the shoes of the other could we actually see it from their view. We humans have longed for peace, yet we could not achieve it. Why? Because we never cared about the view of one another. For example, one can like Patema Inverted and the other can hate it. Will they try to persuade the other into their view? Of course. Will they succeed? No. Not one of them will try to actually see the other view because it is the opposite - the same as being upside down - and they will end up with "Who cares whether I like it or not? Let's drop it because it's pointless for you to convince me other wise."

There are cases where it works, but humanity have long forsaken what it means to "understand" one another. There is also the case of political correctness in this movie. Age lived in a false world that is held together with discipline. No one is allowed to look at the sky or question the world they live it. Conform and obey in order to not offend those in rule. Our world is exactly like that.

What are laws? Who created them? We did. The law does not protect people, it is the people who protects the law. When someone breaks the law or the rule, who takes action? The people. There a lots of human who need to open their eyes and question everything. There are revolutionaries who break the laws and go against the government. Their actions obviously do harm to people as well. What is right and what is wrong? Is it just plainly letting the government, the laws, the revolutionaries, the terrorists and the media to decide for us? No, you must step out and question every piece of information you see. Come up with your own answer, see the world yourself. Age and Patema did that - they jumped over the boundary and disobeyed rules which led to their meeting.

This world is beautiful, that is why we must not also learn to trust, but also to doubt. Trust the right things, doubt the right things. Sounds impossible right? Who decides the limits? You yourself do. That is why, no matter what age you are, go and jump into this harsh and crazy world. Let yourself live in the moment, not bounded by any law or rights. This is what it is to be truly free.
@Samhiuy yeah, they did kiss. I loved it so much when I saw they were closing towards each other, and I knew then that they would kiss also the mood was perfect too. I rewatched that scene more than ten times.
Jan 10, 8:38 AM

Sep 2020
Holy moly, this movie was so good. I have never seen anything like this before. My only regret is that why didn't I watch it sooner😭. I really loved everything about this movie, especially the interactions between Patema and Age also that kiss scene oof. Also, the whole animation, man, what the hell? They looked so good that you wouldn't even believe that this movie came out 13 years ago. Well, I'm really glad I was able to find this masterpiece and finally finish it after 13 years.
Feb 21, 1:24 PM

Apr 2020
It's pretty good.
But it dragged on a bit too long imo. 7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» So what exactly is good about this movie?

Nyron - Dec 28, 2014

34 by maximovich »»
Jan 17, 5:35 PM

» Is Sakasama no Patema a romance?

Hosny - Jul 20, 2017

5 by waalex11 »»
Jan 10, 9:23 AM

» Children? Spoiler

PirateMadryk - Apr 30, 2017

7 by Seiya0890 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:11 PM

» can someone explain the end to me (spoilers)

Scootboi - May 22, 2014

22 by Scootboi »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:56 PM

» *SPOILERS* End Letter Decode ( 1 2 )

Weapon_Master - May 11, 2014

54 by XxMakagOxX »»
Jul 6, 2023 11:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.