Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer Anime, Manga, Light Novels or Visual Novels? And why?

New
Do you prefer Anime, Manga, Light Novels or Visual Novels?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 13, 2015 10:27 AM

Dec 2014
mayukachan said:
Very tough choice between animu and mango :c

Probably Anime in the end, because it has much more. The issue is I'm rarely in the mood for it.
Nov 13, 2015 10:30 AM

Apr 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
hoopla123 said:

Obviously haven't read shit.

That's like saying all anime are just full of ecchi and hentai because there are so many of those.

I guess since there are so many action movies, movies aren't a great example of variety either.

I guess no entertainment medium can have variety if it has a big number of shows/books/games that pertains to a certain genre.

What a fucking joke lmao.

if the porcentage of titles that does the same thing is so big as it is in ln then no you are not allowed to say there is variety in them or use to justify why is a medium good
and would you name some titles that show how variety is there with ln?

So you just proved my point. With your logic almost every entertainment medium lacks variety.

And as for the LNs:

kuuderes_shadow said:
gabrielrroiz said:

How's this for a selection. I've limited myself to just series with official English language releases - the variety of light novels is far larger than this, but yeah:
Kieli
Guin Saga (only the first arc has an official english language release)
Book Girl
DanMachi
Durarara!!
Spice and Wolf
Strawberry Panic
The Devil is a Part-Timer

None of the above are even remotely similar to any of the others.

This man here already provided them but to add more to the list, the Moribito series, Monogatari series, Mushoku Tensei, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, Legend of Galatic Heroes, Arslan Senki and many more.

I'll repeat myself again. What a fucking joke lmao.
Nov 13, 2015 10:42 AM

Jan 2015
I'm surprised that the VNs are popular.
And lol, no one gives a fuck about LNs
Nov 13, 2015 10:48 AM
Aug 2012
Xenocrisi said:
I'm surprised that the VNs are popular.
VNs and LNs are at a serious disadvantage so it isn't unsurprising to see one of them do poorly. They are the least localized and most poorly translated out of the options by a wide margin. LNs especially.
Sep 2015
Anime because it moves

Oct 2014
hoopla123 said:
gabrielrroiz said:

if the porcentage of titles that does the same thing is so big as it is in ln then no you are not allowed to say there is variety in them or use to justify why is a medium good

So you just proved my point. With your logic almost every entertainment medium lacks variety.

And as for the LNs:

kuuderes_shadow said:

How's this for a selection. I've limited myself to just series with official English language releases - the variety of light novels is far larger than this, but yeah:
Kieli
Guin Saga (only the first arc has an official english language release)
Book Girl
DanMachi
Durarara!!
Spice and Wolf
Strawberry Panic
The Devil is a Part-Timer

None of the above are even remotely similar to any of the others.

This man here already provided them but to add more to the list, the Moribito series, Monogatari series, Mushoku Tensei, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, Legend of Galatic Heroes, Arslan Senki and many more.

I'll repeat myself again. What a fucking joke lmao.

good luck finding another medium that most of its storys looks like exact rehashes from older titles like most schools harens in ln
also what are you smoking when saying danmachi shows variety?
and logh is not a ln it is a normal novep
Nov 13, 2015 10:55 AM
Oct 2011
gabrielrroiz said:

good luck finding another medium that most of its storys looks like exact rehashes from older titles like most schools harens in ln
and logh is not a ln it is a normal novep

hoopla123 said:

Let me add some: Zaregoto Series,Owari no Chronicle,Rokka no Yusha, Seikai no Senki, Overlord,Horizon,Rakuin no Monshou,Elvenblood etc.
barmarNov 13, 2015 11:13 AM
Nov 13, 2015 11:08 AM

Dec 2011
gabrielrroiz said:

Please go away and learn the meaning of the word variety. You'll also notice that there isn't a single magic high school style series on that list. I could have easily added one and in so doing it would have increased the variety of the list.

most of its storys looks like exact rehashes from older titles

What are you smoking?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 13, 2015 11:36 AM

Oct 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Please go away and learn the meaning of the word variety. You'll also notice that there isn't a single magic high school style series on that list. I could have easily added one and in so doing it would have increased the variety of the list.

most of its storys looks like exact rehashes from older titles

What are you smoking?

using a few exception does not prove that ln have variety when ib every season an anime that is exactly like rakudai or asterisk war airs and all of them are based on ln
Nov 13, 2015 11:39 AM
Aug 2012
listbot said:
No, I won't pick one and blind myself to good works which are only available in another media.
I'm pretty sure this thread is just asking for a favorite
Nov 13, 2015 11:45 AM

May 2013
Anime, because it has sound and animation. Seems that's the majority preference if the poll is any indication, so no hipster DC today.

Of course, the other 3 ain't too bad either, or else I wouldn't be readin em.
Nov 13, 2015 11:55 AM

Sep 2013
Xenocrisi said:

Most people theses days don't want to read pure text like a book.
Nov 13, 2015 12:34 PM

Feb 2015
i definitely look at anime more than manga because i find it easier. since i don't have 100 bucks to use on 3-5 books i read online and i find it tedious. you could be reading for 2hrs and not even be on chapter 30, depending on the page length. i actually would love to have physical copies since i easily breeze through those at barnes and noble but like i said, no cash.

i am reading more manga nowadays, though. i'm really fond of one-shots.

i have more love for manwha than manga though, definitely. i even find some better than anime.
Nov 13, 2015 12:39 PM

Feb 2015
Anime > Manga >> Light Novel >> Visual Novel.
Nov 13, 2015 12:39 PM

Dec 2013
animu because music and colors
Nov 13, 2015 12:56 PM
Mar 2014
really hard pick between VNs and anime. i love mah sakuga and basically just seeing shit animated, but there are so many fantastic VNs and so much the medium can do that I really don't know what to choose.
After those it's mango, and then LNs because they take a lot of concentration and I'm bad at that, especially because no sound (with manga i dont need to concentrate as much, and its also much shorter overall so even if i spend some time rereading stuff it won't take THAT long, and with VNs the sound and to a lesser extent the visuals usually help me concentrate more).
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 13, 2015 1:09 PM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
Xenocrisi said:

Well, LN are books.
Nov 13, 2015 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
Xenocrisi said:
ichii_1 said:

Well, LN are books.

I think that was his point.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 13, 2015 7:56 PM
Jan 2015
Anime>LN>Manga

Though I prefer some LN and manga over their anime adaptations.
My Queens

Nov 13, 2015 8:33 PM

Mar 2014
Anime > Manga for me. I usually only read for continuation purposes.

The only LN I've read is Rokka no Yuusha and I haven't tried any VN's so I can't really weigh any opinions on those two.
Nov 13, 2015 8:49 PM

Sep 2014
Anime if it appeals to me in the long run
Visual Novel if it has animation and gameplay segments such as School Days or Huniepop

the weird thing with me is i dislike visual novels, but i love developing one
Nov 13, 2015 9:08 PM

Sep 2012
Anime is the most enjoyable and best experience for me. Animation and sound is something too hard to beat but the thing is theres a lot of Manga/VN/LN that are not animated so, you really have no choice but to read them.
FlamingMangosNov 13, 2015 9:14 PM
Nov 13, 2015 9:09 PM
Mar 2015
Depends on my mood
Nov 13, 2015 9:19 PM

Jul 2014
Irrelative said:
Xenocrisi said:

Visual Novels have sound too

Some Visual Novels also have movement.
Nukige doesn't count.
Nov 13, 2015 11:19 PM

Jan 2015
EuroAsia said:
Anime if it appeals to me in the long run
Visual Novel if it has animation and gameplay segments such as School Days or Huniepop

the weird thing with me is i dislike visual novels, but i love developing one

You like VNs that have movement and gameplay such as School Days, etc...BUT, you dislike VNs, BUT, you love developing one....
???????
Nov 13, 2015 11:22 PM

Apr 2013
novels & light novels > manga> anime.
Never played visual novels so can't tell.
I like to read more than to watch to begin with, and I like all the stuff like inner thoughts, side characters development/background, world building and the like, which are all stuff that usually get cut in anime. I also like goo mysteries, something that is quite rare in anime.

As for the discussion above, yes, LN have more variety than anime, definitely. Not sure about more than manga though.
And no, the amount of school/harem and the like is far FAR lower than what you think it is. That's just the ones that get adapted in anime (and sells more as a result) because when they try to adapt different stuff (spice & wolf, rokka, baccano...) it doesn't sell, so there's no point in trying to adapt them in anime. And then the LN that you can find translated are for a good part LN who got anime adaptation and attracted the attention of strangers due to this, so same here.

ZefyrisNov 13, 2015 11:36 PM
Nov 14, 2015 4:10 AM

Jul 2014
Hmm interesting thread. (I haven't read any LN or played any VN)
I personally like anime the most, but sometimes it can get butchered from it's source material,(Naruto got the filler hammer and Tokyo ghoul got the rush axe and complete disrespect for the mangaka, looking at you studio Pierrot).

However in anime we got voice actors and music which makes it easier to get hyped. take Shounen for example(at least I get hyped music from Takanashi Yasuharu).
This doesn't mean i rule out manga completely.

I haven't read that much manga though, but I have read tokyo ghoul which is a series I love dearly. Manga is usually source material which often makes it the best material. When I read manga I always listen to OST's from it's anime(or other anime if it doesn't have any OST's).
Nov 15, 2015 2:40 PM
Jun 2013
Light Novels. Period.

As to why ...

- Sometimes when i watch anime i feel i miss on something and switch to manga and only then notice how much of it was NOT adapted into anime simply because of time restrictions.
- Also usually manga is much farther in plot than anime.
- That same reasoning applies for turning from manga to Light Novel.
- If i can exchange some pictures and sound for much much much deeper insight into plot and characters then i will gladly do so.
- Also no more waiting half to five years for >>next season<< as there already is next season already written down, along with five next ones
- also a visual novel (maybe i just have seen the worst examples but this is how i see it) is basically very very poorer light novel - the story and development of a characters is too rushed. It is like only one volume with added pictures and some sound and this interactivity you have is actually around 3-7 choices in total witch give up to 127 paths to 3-7 different endings plus failure-ending

- LN is longer - much more of enjoying the story/characters/world you like
- LN is more detailed - much greater insight into story/characters/world you like
- LN story is more complex and there are more side-threads
- LN is THE original story - you miss nothing unlike in manga or anime
- LN is the only one out of this four that you can really enjoy on anything - on laptop/mobile/paper - manga or anime on mobile is unbearable
- LN employs your imagination so there is no way you will not get sucked into this world and also there is no animation or soundtrack that can beat your imagination
- LN is super light in terms of disk-space usage

and the MOST important reason
- there are some awesome titles available only or mostly in LN version like
Mushoku Tensei
LN 24 volumes, compleated <> manga god-knows-how-little chapters covering breathy part of vol1.cptr1 <> anime none
Campione!
LN 18 volumes and 7 side-chapters, Licensed, ongoing <> manga god-knows-how-little chapters covering breathy part of vol1.cptr1 <> anime 1 season covers 1 or 3 volumes of LN, died off after that
No Game No Life
LN 6 volumes, licensed, ongoing <> manga same petty state as above <> anime 1 season covering 2 volumes, died off after that
Overlord
LN 9 volumes, licensed, ongoing <> manga same petty state as above <> anime 1 season and we will see what will happen
Rokka no Yuusha
LN 4 volumes, ongoing <> manga same petty state as above <> anime 1 season and we will see what will happen but looks like died off too

their manga adaptation is almost non-existent and their anime adaptation (if such exists) died-off after one season but there is no denying that they are great stories AND their LN version is holding on really well
Nov 15, 2015 3:40 PM
Mar 2014
some visual novels can take 100 hours to read for the average person, thats a lot more than just one volume. Fate/Stay Night's total wordcount is higher than LotR lmao. Not to mention that some visual novels are separated into parts or are released as series (Grisaia trilogy, MuvLuv, Naku Koro Ni series) making them extremely long. Saying they all have rushed development is a silly generalization you should've known better than to actually use.

Everything you said about LNs can also be applied to VNs, and VNs have their own share of fantastic titles.

Out of curiousity, which VNs have you played?
omfgplzstopNov 15, 2015 3:43 PM
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 15, 2015 11:10 PM

Apr 2013
omfgplzstop said:
some visual novels can take 100 hours to read for the average person, thats a lot more than just one volume. Fate/Stay Night's total wordcount is higher than LotR lmao. Not to mention that some visual novels are separated into parts or are released as series (Grisaia trilogy, MuvLuv, Naku Koro Ni series) making them extremely long. Saying they all have rushed development is a silly generalization you should've known better than to actually use.

Everything you said about LNs can also be applied to VNs, and VNs have their own share of fantastic titles.

Out of curiousity, which VNs have you played?

That word counter includes all the decision possibilities right? So you don't actually read all of this. Especially since I would wager that no matter the decisions, some sentences are almost identical, but they are counted everytime.
Nov 16, 2015 12:45 AM

Oct 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Visual novels because:
  • They have the strengths of numerous other mediums, but not too many of the weaknesses. You have music, voice acting, colours and animation (the latter is limited though) just like anime, but still the rich detail and good pacing like manga and light novels
  • A visual novel is a fully packaged product straight from the get-go. You never have to wait for new chapters or episodes to be released. You can play through the entire thing from start to finish at your own pace, and you're always guaranteed a real ending in the process
  • Since visual novels are programs, they have incredible diversity. Every game is coded to fit the story in question as well as possible, and the sky is the limit as far as that goes due to how unrestricted the medium is
  • They have tons of user interactivity which other mediums simply does not. Visual novels usually have multiple routes and endings, where you can choose the story's progression for yourself. You never have to worry about "the best girl losing" or anything like that since everyone can get their own respective will across
  • In similar fashion, the multiple route mechanic can also be utilized as a unique way of storytelling by incorporating complex timelines, parallel worlds and the like
  • Gameplay elements are also often used. You can have a full-blown functional RPG or similar inside a visual novel whilst still having a very detailed storyline
  • Since visual novels aren't published in magazines or broadcasted on TV, they can have mature content in them which other mediums don't have in the same way. While this might just sound like an excuse for fanservice (which it oftentimes just is), it can also be used as an additional type of plot mechanic, and if nothing else it highly amplifies the level of intensity and realism in romantic relationships
  • Also there's the fact that many of the top visual novels are quite simply better than anything anime, manga or light novels have to offer

Just off the top of my head

This.

VNs have far better stories than anime and manga generally though some of the best stories comes from LNs.

HaXXspetten said:

magikewlgirlz said:
Also because I can stream it, while I have to physically buy the others.
Uhm, pretty much everyone reads manga and LNs from scans on the web for free. And just about everyone torrents VNs as well, so money shouldn't really be an issue

I buy my VNs so everyone is a wrong terminology to use.

gabrielrroiz said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

What are you smoking?

using a few exception does not prove that ln have variety when ib every season an anime that is exactly like rakudai or asterisk war airs and all of them are based on ln

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria is a pretty solid LN, it's nothing like Rakudai Kishi so please do not smoke weed while commenting. You obviously know there are more titles. It'll be retarded to spoon-feed you. If you wanna know, go do some homework yourself.
JiharoNov 16, 2015 1:01 AM
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Nov 17, 2015 6:28 PM
Oct 2015
Manga ONLY if the anime series is long.
Anime only if it has less than 50 episodes.

But manga overall cause 20+ minutes per episode vs reading a chapter or two that takes 10 minutes. Saving time is important.
Nov 17, 2015 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer anime,but Umineko VN is the best/second best thing across all the media.
Dec 22, 2023 1:28 PM
Nov 2019
I know I'm quite late for this discussion but this is my order:
VN > WN > Anime > LN > Manga

From what I've observed so far, my order isn't very usual, but hear me out. I prefer things to be wordy, especially lots of talking.
99.X% of manga I've ever read are h*
and I always find the fight/action scenes boring. I still enjoy the facial expressions, the dialogue and the information given in manga though.
Maybe that's why I put visual novels over anything else. It has everything except the fight scenes that I care about the least.
For me, web novels are easier to get into than light novels but don't get me wrong, light novels are indeed more organised and well-written than web novels. I just find myself lacking the motivation to continue reading when I know very well that there are still tens of volumes for me to have a more complete and in-depth understanding of the story. Meanwhile, I could opt in and out of a web novel without concerns because of its loose writing, and yes, I admit light novels are better despite I like web novels more. Also, a web novel is the most original material that I can get the authors' raw ideas.
Dec 22, 2023 2:06 PM

Mar 2021
Xenocrisi said:
Do you prefer Anime, Manga, Light Novels or Visual Novels? And why?

Anime of course. Mainly because Japanese light Novels, Japanese Visual Novels, and even Japanese Manga are nothing more than just translations of transcripts in the West. I can understand the Japanese Language spoken (which is why I have no issues watching Anime without subtitles) but I was never formally taught how to actually read Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana. Just imagine for a moment how messed up trying to read William S. Burroughs novel "Naked Lunch" would be mixed in Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana. Both my Wife who is Japanese and my daughter who understands and can read all forms of the Japanese writing systems have confirmed this to me being accurately the case most of the time.

The same things pretty much applies to any Authors written works where things get lost in translation when dealing with not only different languages but also completely different systems of writing too.

I would rather spend my time reading Novels I can actually understand instead of relying on works originally written in a Language I can't comprehend. Primarily won't bother reading translated transcripts unless I simply just want extra context to something I was already previously watching that was adopted into a Japanese Anime.

Besides Anime is far more entertaining to watch than simply looking at still images in visual novels or even in Manga. Watching Anime is beyond no doubt more entertaining to watch than simply reading translated Japanese light Novels too.
ColourWheelDec 22, 2023 2:42 PM
Dec 22, 2023 2:28 PM

Dec 2012
Basically it's Anime for the combined Audio/Visual experience.

If I'm going to read something in the printed format I'd choose novels over manga if there was a choice. Not that there's anything wrong with manga, but I've been reading novels ever since I was kid and enjoy them. They're also more descriptive than a manga.
KruszerDec 22, 2023 2:32 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Dec 22, 2023 2:30 PM

Feb 2020
Visual Novels by far the least. With that much reading I'd rather just read a book tbh.

Next worst, Light Novels. I just find how they read to be very odd (could be how their translated obv), but there's only really 2 LNs that I actually enjoyed. I think also describing all of what happens in words & just a few pictures is not so good imo.

Best is honestly tricky, but probably Manga, as you usually get more of a complete story compared to it's Anime counterpart, and also because you can flick through it before you dive in fully, just makes it a little easier for me to want to commit to it.
Dec 22, 2023 2:33 PM

Sep 2016
Anime because:
  • voice actors
  • music
  • colors
  • sakuga
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Dec 22, 2023 2:40 PM

Jan 2015
Who the hell dug up this thread from 9 years ago lmaooo
Dec 22, 2023 9:58 PM

Feb 2020
^^ I agree.
^ Indeed, lol.

Anyway, anime is easily the best.
Dec 22, 2023 10:35 PM

Dec 2017
Reply to Xenocrisi
Who the hell dug up this thread from 9 years ago lmaooo
@Xenocrisi gotta get that monthly hit of nostalgia.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Dec 22, 2023 11:10 PM

Dec 2020
Anime>Manga>Light Novel>Visual Novel.

Anime is the easiest one to keep up with for me. Manga is also nice but I get burnt out if I read too much manga.
I don't think I'll ever get bored of watching anime or run out of stuff worth watching.

Dec 27, 2023 12:09 PM

Sep 2007
Anime due to not have/hardy read manga/LNs and play VNs.
Dec 27, 2023 12:17 PM
Oct 2019
I prefer anime more than anything but sometimes I read mangas with titles that catch my attention like "Himeno-chan ni Koi wa Mada Hayai" or when I feel like I want some juicy spoilers about an anime that is a manga adaptation.
Dec 27, 2023 12:19 PM

Apr 2022
Anime right now, but it can change depending on my mood. But I think Anime will be the best option in the future too.
Dec 27, 2023 12:33 PM

Aug 2018
Anime for sure. Only good thing about manga is that it usually provides a more in-depth story than the incomplete versions we get from anime. But manga a lot of the time goes on and on way past the point when the writing stops being interesting plus reading manga on a screen is no fun at all.

When it comes to telling a good anime story with a proper beginning and end, visual novels are a great medium. But I've only played three of them.
Dec 27, 2023 1:42 PM

Apr 2013
I prefer anime over manga (haven't had enough experience with the other mediums to judge them). It's just more engaging. Also, idk if I'm just really stupid (as I have never really heard anybody else complain about it), but sometimes I have issues following the story/understanding whats going on in a manga panel, like just reading the short dialogue and trying to understand what is happening in the picture and trying to not miss details. Ofc this is not a big issue with school romance manga or something similar where its just the characters faces and dialogue most of the time, but with action I might miss some details lol. And honestly the fights are kinda boring if it's not animated. Also ongoing manga is released at such a slow pace (1 chapter weekly or monthly + translation time) and I usually forget what happened last chapter while waiting. At least with anime it's released weekly and often anime episodes adapt more than 1 chapter. And reading manga on clunky online sites sucks. Reading paperback volumes is nicer, but ofc that's quite expensive if you keep up with multiple series. I would love to be more into manga though, as there are so so many great stories that never get an anime or the manga has more details.
Dec 27, 2023 3:13 PM

Jan 2021
Anime because a) I don't like reading, b) it's in color, c) I want to hear the music and voice work, and d) it's in motion. It is objectively the superior format.
Dec 31, 2023 3:41 AM

Dec 2021
I am consuming more mangas and novels these days more than anime
Dec 31, 2023 4:45 AM

Jan 2023
I slightly prefer light novels over mangas these days, and animes over visual novels.
Overall, still difficult to pick a favorite amongst these four.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

55 by animeadept »»
1 minute ago

» Opposite sex AND same sex characters you most relate to

IpreferEcchi - 2 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - May 27

18 by Shizuna »»
5 minutes ago

» Secondary characters

JoeChip - 53 minutes ago

6 by kurayamiberkay »»
21 minutes ago

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

5 by Spunkert »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.