Forum Settings
Forums

People who prefer Neon Genesis Evangelion over End of Evangelion aren’t really eva fans.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 22, 2022 2:36 PM

Feb 2014
I'm perfectly fine with being refered to as "not a real Eva fan", it was never my intention in the first place.
Feb 22, 2022 4:04 PM

Mar 2008
They are one in the same though. End of Evangelion is what was planned as the ending of Evangelion but didnt happen because tight budget and time constraints so it went a more avant-garde route. They are meant to go together. The End of Evangelion was never meant to be a standalone it's the ending of Evangelion taking place during same time as last few episodes just told different. I still need to watch EoE but got delayed after I realized I had watched the original broadcast of Evangelion not the directors cut for last several episodes.
Feb 22, 2022 5:28 PM

Jul 2013
The End of EVA was basically Judgement Day: The Movie, but you know the old saying nothing compares to the original. The series is done so let's just let bygones be bygones.
Feb 22, 2022 5:35 PM

Jul 2021
Love the Eva series in general, but I can't seem to agree with your gatekeeping.
Feb 22, 2022 5:35 PM

Mar 2020
loli_guy said:
EoE focuses solely on it’s themes and characters unlike NGE. It’s much deeper and more complex imo. NGE has too many fights, lacks symbolism, has fan service, AND doesn’t have as much depth as the movie. EoE is PEAK evangelion, the best philosophical movie ever created and a much more thought provoking watch than the TV series.

My point is people prefer NGE because it has action and fan service, unlike EoE. The TV series is less intelligent (not saying that people who enjoy nge are dumb), less mature, and less realistic compared to the 1 hr. 26 min. long film. True eva fans (people who appreciate it for being a literary masterpiece and/or people who connect to the narrative emotionally) usually prefer EoE over NGE.

Does anyone else here agree with my take? If not, can you please explain why? I’m open to civil discussion regarding this topic. To those of you who brushed off this post as “trollish” (perhaps you were offended by the audacious topic title or think that what I’m saying is trivial), let me assure you that I’m not. I’m only looking for discussion regarding why someone might prefer NGE over EoE.

an opinion came from a person who literally called "loli_guy"
Feb 22, 2022 5:44 PM
Apr 2019
I refuse to believe someone actually typed this out unironically
I'm tired
Feb 22, 2022 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
I like both equally. If they do consider themselves as a fan then that'll be it.
Feb 22, 2022 5:46 PM
Jul 2016
I don't know if this sounds elitist, but I think it's cool that NGE animated the Mecha fights without using CGI.
Feb 22, 2022 5:46 PM

May 2021
I liked EoE by light years than the original NGE, but how the fak you could tell if someone was a real Eva fans or not based on their preference.

Feb 22, 2022 5:52 PM
Jul 2021
just what I would expect from someone who has 52 1s
Mar 6, 2023 5:57 AM

Sep 2020
Hi lol ( guys im a monogatari fan since 2018)

>fake fan!!! should've watched that since 2007-10s :rage:
Mar 6, 2023 6:25 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Can confirm: I preferred the original series and I am FAR from a fan of Evangelion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jokes aside, if someone really loves the TV series, like, if it's their favorite TV show of all-time, and they HATE End of Evangelion, then they're still a true fun. Heck, if someone just watched one or two episodes, liked them, and hasn't gotten to EOE yet, they're still a true fan. Because liking an entity is all that's required to be a fan of it

Ironically, all the points OP listed for why EOE is "better" are exactly why I PERSONALLY despised that movie. Miss me with that pseudo-symbolic, convoluted-for-no-reason stuff, lol. If that's what you're into, then, by all means, I'm glad you enjoyed it. But it definitely ain't my cup of tea

To answer OP's questions as to why one might like the original series more than the movie, the answer is for the exact same reasons as to why OP considers it inferior. I'd rather watch a generic 5/10 mecha action series than whatever TF End of Eva was supposed-to be, LMAO
Kogasa-TataraMar 11, 2023 7:07 AM
My greatest contribution to this website:
Mar 6, 2023 6:50 AM

May 2019
Everyone should be free to like whatever they want, this notion of fake fan vs real because they like something instead of another is silly and illogical.
A big majority of touhou fans haven't even played the games, it's the same case for fate fans and other popular franchises, what they're not fans because they didn't experience a certain piece of media.
No, everyone can be a fan of certain something without necessarily liking the whole. sometimes some people only look for specific bits and pieces that they enjoy and it's perfectly fine.
Mar 6, 2023 6:51 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I prefer Neon Genesis Evangelion over End of Evangelion. I ain’t really eva fan..

Mar 6, 2023 7:02 AM

Jul 2022
SoldierDream said:
Actually OP's statement isn't that far-fetched when considering that if one was caring enough for the TV series to call oneself a "fan" of it, there has never been much sense in preferring the TV ending of the story over the movie ending of it since only the latter is the one providing the complete conclusion with no loose ends.
The movie's purpose is to provide context to the TV ending and once it does, you'd realize how great the last two episodes are. I'd recommend rewatching it.
Mar 6, 2023 6:45 PM

Mar 2021
I know the topic says that people who prefer Neon Genesis Evangelion over Evangelion's demise are not Evangelion fans, but I don't think a real fan would deny what people like.

Though it says people prefer NGE because of the action and fanservice, some people left after 25 or 26 episodes, and I didn't think the fanservice aspect was the reason for the popularity of the TV series.

If it's action, some people like Asuka's fight scenes in EOE.

Mar 6, 2023 6:52 PM

Dec 2012
This franchise is like playing Russian roulette; it alternates between nothing happening and blowing your brains out.  Either outcome isn't particularly great.
KruszerMar 6, 2023 6:57 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Mar 6, 2023 7:02 PM

May 2015
I prefer NGE + EoE over the rebuilds. But either way i dont see a reason to gatekeep. Eva is super mainstream there isnt rlly any point to fight ppl about what they prefer since its subjective
My Candies:
Mar 7, 2023 12:46 AM

Oct 2020
I thought EoE was a continuation of the last part of NGE in the sense that ...
Mar 7, 2023 6:29 AM

Aug 2010
I think the 2 are inextricably linked and youre somewhat expected to have watched NGE to understand EoE.
I'm not the biggest fan of eva in general so i lump it all together anyway.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Mar 10, 2023 11:01 AM
suii

Dec 2018
what do you mean? i'd say most of the stuff people relate to happens in the show, not the movie, both are a thing. soo being or liking/relating to evangelion is the same as being a murderer? cause what does shinji do at end of evangelion he kills everyone on earth except asuka, he even tries to choke her. has to be said eoe is the definition of depression, (god knows how depressed anno mustve been, anno mustve been depressed af for him to make something like that, can only imagine....) the show in comparsion atleast has more normal moments. end of eavngelion is the darkness/evilness of humanity? while the show in my opinion is more broad if terms of what happens.
evangelionfanMar 10, 2023 11:20 AM
Mar 10, 2023 11:08 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah sorry you lost the argument when you said they aren't really Eva fans. I hate this argument so much we all like what we like. Fans like Steins Gate 0 more than the original Steins Gate I don't go around calling them fake fans even though the original is a lot better imo.
Mar 10, 2023 11:25 AM

May 2018
I'm not really sure what do you mean, since EoE is pretty much a different perspective of the exact same events that happened in the last episodes of NGE. Honestly, I think the way NGE presents the finale, inside Shinji's wrecked mind, is pretty much the peak of all the franchise. Also, NGE is packed with a lot more content, all of them tied together by the end of the show. I don't know if you can enjoy EoE separately, plus the true ending of NGE has a lot more psychological aspects. Basically, what we get in NGE is Shinji's perspective, and in EoE we are presented with what happened outside Shinji's mind. I think both are great to be honest, but I still slightly prefer the original ending.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 10, 2023 11:40 AM

May 2019
Different strokes for different folks. Why gatekeep people from liking one thing over the other? Completely pointless point and thread.
yo
Mar 10, 2023 11:53 AM

Feb 2019
Nah bro I enjoyed the orginal ending just as much as the EOE ending. They're both very intresting & compliment each other very well. I think the original ending wouldnt be as interesting without EOE & vice versa.
Mar 10, 2023 8:47 PM

Feb 2016
Kii_Ibarra said:
Ironically, all the points OP listed for why EOE is "better" are exactly why I PERSONALLY despised that movie. Miss me with that pseudo-symbolic, convoluted-for-no-reason stuff, lol. If that's what you're into, then, by all means, I'm glad you enjoyed it. But it definitely ain't my cup of tea
He implies none of the things the movie is known for can be found in the series, even though episodes 25 and 26 are just as bizarre.

kihel said:
If it's action, some people like Asuka's fight scenes in EOE.
Exactly.
その目だれの目?
Mar 11, 2023 8:37 AM

Jun 2022
Personally I enjoyed the original Neon Genesis Evangelion a lot more than End of Evangelion. Don't get me wrong the film has a lot better production than the original and has some nice scenes, yet that said it lacks the charm that the original had, and End of Evangelion has too much nonsense and random symbolism that really annoyed me. Don't get me wrong the series had a lot of that too, but up until the last 4-5 episodes that wasn't the main purpose of the show. Also it's hard to take a film seriously when one of the first series is Shinji fapping off and a random 4th wall break half way through for no reason. Finally the film is completely unwatchable unless you've seen the series first for context, so that also weighs in. 

I don't really consider myself a hardcore Evangelion fan anyways, but I feel that "you have to like X in order for Y" is a poor argument to make. 
Mar 11, 2023 9:09 AM

Jul 2015
Eoe is an extension of nge. Now if this were a discussion about the rebuilds then this thread would make sense. The two are not the same.
Mar 11, 2023 9:22 AM
Jun 2021
loli_guy said:
EoE focuses solely on it’s themes and characters unlike NGE. It’s much deeper and more complex imo. NGE has too many fights, lacks symbolism, has fan service, AND doesn’t have as much depth as the movie. EoE is PEAK evangelion, the best philosophical movie ever created and a much more thought provoking watch than the TV series.

My point is people prefer NGE because it has action and fan service, unlike EoE. The TV series is less intelligent (not saying that people who enjoy nge are dumb), less mature, and less realistic compared to the 1 hr. 26 min. long film. True eva fans (people who appreciate it for being a literary masterpiece and/or people who connect to the narrative emotionally) usually prefer EoE over NGE.

Does anyone else here agree with my take? If not, can you please explain why? I’m open to civil discussion regarding this topic. To those of you who brushed off this post as “trollish” (perhaps you were offended by the audacious topic title or think that what I’m saying is trivial), let me assure you that I’m not. I’m only looking for discussion regarding why someone might prefer NGE over EoE.

>much deeper
Stopped reading right there.
Evangelion is a blight upon the mecha genre, made out of love for it yet spawning so much misunderstanding, even outright hatred.
Whenever I read somebody yapping about "MUH THEMES" then I know the person in question had no literature education in school.

It's the MESSAGE of the work that matters and none of the Evakeks will ever understand the message of Evangelion.
Don't hesitate, just ask. Especially when it's about love. It makes even the darkest moments in life much easier to bear.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Mar 11, 2023 11:37 AM

Mar 2023
I'd like to remind everyone that Evangelion is an MCU tier mega franchise in Japan, it's not an esoteric series. Besides, so much of Eva is built on the foundation of series before it like Gundam, Ideon, and Ultraman. I love Eva, but if you see those, you'll find that what Eva does wasn't particularly revolutionary. 
Mar 12, 2023 4:24 PM

Jul 2013
I think all Evangelion media are okay so that makes me a true fan by default.

I have plans on watching Rebuild movies because I'm a fan of Maaya Sakamoto.
Mar 12, 2023 9:43 PM

Oct 2019
This reads like a satire post but I'll respond anyways. You can't separate NGE from EoE because they both tell part of the story. EoE is the external battle, whereas the last two episodes of NGE are the internal struggle. 

Mar 12, 2023 10:02 PM

Jul 2022
Dang, time to remove NGE and Rei from my favorites then
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - Today

34 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you feel like theaters outside of Japan should reconsider expanding screening for anime movies, do daily rerun daily screening events, etc. since not all of us are able to make it due to busy life, important matters, etc.?

WingZeroRequiem - 7 hours ago

11 by TsutanaiFuun »»
4 minutes ago

» How do you celebrate your favorite franchize even if doesn't pump up any material? Any customs or events?

Catalano - Today

15 by alshu »»
23 minutes ago

» Did you know people who have only 200 completed anime but more than 100 days are--

LenRea - Yesterday

43 by Pg13_ »»
52 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 2

36 by KodomoKomodo »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.