Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on cleavages being used as a standard in so many anime?

New
Feb 9, 2023 12:06 AM
Aug 2021
TFW, when new action series comes out and you read the plot that sounds interesting so you're gonna watch then 5 minutes later, you see female characters that dress like a hooker and will dress like one for the rest of the series. You see where i'm getting at? it's getting old and repetitive.

Normal female clothing should be the standard in anime and they should leave the cleavage for the 5 minutes of fan service scenes or ecchi genres. Making them a standard with the chest tightened so the size is visibly big in day to day clothing is annoying.

Especially when you want to recommend a series to people you know but feel hesitant because there's main characters that dress highly provocative when it's completely irrelevant to the plot like what's the purpose of showing them?
Howdym8Feb 9, 2023 12:19 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 9, 2023 12:10 AM

Apr 2015
The more cleavage, the better. Undeniable fact.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 9, 2023 12:11 AM

Feb 2020
^ I agree with that one. I also love it.
Feb 9, 2023 12:28 AM

Jul 2019
I hate it, it means they aren't lolis
Feb 9, 2023 12:39 AM

May 2019
I absolutely love it, more milfs and girls with big bosoms.

Feb 9, 2023 12:48 AM

Oct 2010
cleavages are the best, we need more, all girls should wear a cleavage at least 4 times per episode
Feb 9, 2023 12:49 AM

Apr 2022
tchitchouan said:

God don't remind me of queens blade, was my favourite anime at some point. I still get nostalgia everytime i see the characters 😭😭😭
by Toshi

Feb 9, 2023 12:50 AM

Apr 2020
Personally I dislike fanservice. If you demand it, there's plenty of anime for that. When I watched Bocchi the Rock, I couldn't figure at first why I liked it so much and recommended it to everyone. Then I realized it had zero fanservice (at least the type OP mentioned).
Feb 9, 2023 12:51 AM

Apr 2022
I don't think much when I see cleavages in anime, I think of it more like biceps and abs, basically like a normal human thing. Hope that made sense
by Toshi

Feb 9, 2023 12:54 AM

May 2019
GanymedeHarry1 said:
tchitchouan said:

God don't remind me of queens blade, was my favourite anime at some point. I still get nostalgia everytime i see the characters 😭😭😭

"Was" ? to me it is and will always be the greatest and sexiest anime of all time.

Catalano said:
cleavages are the best, we need more, all girls should wear a cleavage at least 4 times per episode

I will settle for nothing less than cleavage for the whole entire episode.
Feb 9, 2023 12:56 AM

Apr 2022
tchitchouan said:
GanymedeHarry1 said:

"Was" ? to me it is and will always be the greatest and sexiest anime of all time.

Highschool dxd took over the moment I finished s1
by Toshi

Feb 9, 2023 12:57 AM

May 2019
GanymedeHarry1 said:
tchitchouan said:

Highschool dxd took over the moment I finished s1

i never liked highschool dxd, rias never appealed to me as a character.
Feb 9, 2023 1:00 AM
Aug 2021
Catalano said:

This one right there is exactly what i'm talking about.

I'm not talking about ecchi like some of you are guys are thinking. 
Feb 9, 2023 1:00 AM

Jun 2017
I don't think you should feel weird recommending shows with cleavage but not actual fanservice to people. A lot of women in real life wear cleavage exposing outfits and most people won't care.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Feb 9, 2023 1:02 AM

May 2019
TheBlockernator said:
I don't think you should feel weird recommending shows with cleavage but not actual fanservice to people. A lot of women in real life wear cleavage exposing outfits and most people won't care.

I love big boobs in anime and in real life.
Sugoi Dekai Oppai

tchitchouanFeb 9, 2023 1:32 AM
Feb 9, 2023 1:09 AM

Dec 2013
An example would be nice. But yes I see where you're coming from.

I like the sexual and violent varieties of fan-service in anime. Even if they are only placed there to compensate for a weak plot. Now as to how tastefully they are portrayed, that's not something we can do anything about, but it's also something we hope is done right, because when it's not, then the anime is real trash.
Feb 9, 2023 1:20 AM

May 2019
'Normal female clothing should be the standard' what
Idk where you live but in my place showing your cleavage is a completely normal thing to do for girls
Feb 9, 2023 1:35 AM
Aug 2021
karemi_ said:
'Normal female clothing should be the standard' what
Idk where you live but in my place showing your cleavage is a completely normal thing to do for girls
No one wears them flashily or that wide in the open unless they're out partying etc. 
Howdym8Feb 9, 2023 2:35 AM
Feb 9, 2023 1:53 AM
Aug 2021
Ronichko said:
An example would be nice. But yes I see where you're coming from.

I like the sexual and violent varieties of fan-service in anime. Even if they are only placed there to compensate for a weak plot. Now as to how tastefully they are portrayed, that's not something we can do anything about, but it's also something we hope is done right, because when it's not, then the anime is real trash.
The examples would be the ones you see in battle shounen. See post #13.

I love boobs and have no problems with it. If I want to see them, i'd just go to violent series that have an ecchi tag.

Oddly enough, you don't see much of them in seinen compared to shounen.
Feb 9, 2023 1:57 AM

Jun 2016
As a fan of nice shapely tits I approve of anime producers decisions.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 9, 2023 2:29 AM

Jun 2020
Cleavages are also a standard in real life though?
Feb 9, 2023 2:36 AM

Nov 2022
I prefer tight leotards/one piece swimsuits type of thing.

Shape of body and tits is more visible this way.

Pictures not necessary show the idea well.
EmperorThorFeb 9, 2023 2:44 AM
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Feb 9, 2023 3:12 AM

May 2020
I think cleavage is kind of like muscles for guys, if you got em you wanna show them off. Plenty of series have no cleavage at all but teen oriented shows that are more lighthearted and ridiculous (e.g. most shounen) treat it as just another sign of youth. I wouldn't worry about it too much, no matter what your age is (literally the whole range between 0 - 100+) its nothing you haven't seen before.
Feb 9, 2023 3:14 AM

May 2020
Nyarly-kamin said:
Cleavages are also a standard in real life though?
Shhhhhhhhh...  He doesn't know...
Feb 9, 2023 3:21 AM
Aug 2019
ThorLL said:

What is the name of that character? Asking for a friend ofcourse ;D
Feb 9, 2023 4:03 AM
Jul 2018
Do you really have to question why it's present? Because there's guys as well as boys who like that kind of stuff obviously. Possibly even females. It's not meant to have relevance to the plot unless you're talking about a straight ecchi/ fanservice anime. It's just a treat or a guilty pleasure for fans. I don't understand how people (especially guys) can't comprehend the interest in exposed body parts of girls as if they haven't had a sex ed class. Simply put, you're a guy who that kind of content doesn't appeal to. Which is fine. But just because it's an issue for you to enjoy an anime with sexual content doesn't mean that's the same for everyone else. It doesn't distract from the plot of a series for most people.
Feb 9, 2023 7:02 AM

Feb 2018

i ain't gonna condemn those who prefer their "Booba" of the decidedly Outsized variety,
but for my personal penny-in-the-pot, a smallish-medium (by Asian standards) is about ideal;

Feb 9, 2023 10:35 AM

May 2021
Howdym8 said:
TFW, when new action series comes out and you read the plot that sounds interesting so you're gonna watch then 5 minutes later, you see female characters that dress like a hooker and will dress like one for the rest of the series. You see where i'm getting at? it's getting old and repetitive.

Normal female clothing should be the standard in anime and they should leave the cleavage for the 5 minutes of fan service scenes or ecchi genres. Making them a standard with the chest tightened so the size is visibly big in day to day clothing is annoying.

Especially when you want to recommend a series to people you know but feel hesitant because there's main characters that dress highly provocative when it's completely irrelevant to the plot like what's the purpose of showing them?

Literally who the fuck cares!

Also who are you to say what they wear is not "normal" female clothing?? I wear mini-shorts and crop-tops 8 months a year 'cause i belong in the freaking ice-age, does that make my clothing any less normal than someone who preferes long sleeves and long pants? And if a woman with big boobs likes wearing revealing tops ('cause mine are definitely not big enough to get cleavage) does that make her dressing any less normal than someone with more modest sizes?
Feb 9, 2023 2:33 PM

Jan 2021
I mean, cleavages is something that you will see if you go out and see people. It's not something abnormal for a girl to show some cleavage, sure, not dressing like a hooker, but cleavage isn't something weird to see even in real life.
Feb 9, 2023 2:46 PM

Oct 2021
Sounds like a terrific idea if they change their clothes every day I mean their clothes must be smellier than my socks. BTW clevage is not an abnormal thing it's not rare at all depending on the place you live in. Though I don't really know about the subject in Japan weather it's common or not.
Young_ForeverFeb 9, 2023 2:50 PM
Feb 9, 2023 4:55 PM

Jan 2013
Howdym8 said:

Stop watching shonen, or at least that kind of shonen, it's easy to placate male viewers using hot girls with ample assets. Compared to the typical fare of many shonen, this shouldn't exactly be immersion breaking, and unless you're showing this stuff to some feminist prudes, what's the problem?
LostSpectreFeb 9, 2023 5:04 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 10, 2023 3:06 AM

Apr 2015
ValZZu said:
ThorLL said:

What is the name of that character? Asking for a friend ofcourse ;D
Pretty sure it's M4A1 from Girl's Frontline. Also, I hate this new quote thing...
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 10, 2023 3:10 AM

Nov 2018
We should adopt cleavage size as an SI unit.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Feb 10, 2023 3:18 AM

Nov 2019
It's ironic coming from someone having Wan Pissu in his Favourites

Edit: I was wrong, it's indeed, character development.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 10, 2023 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
cleavage needs proper research, knowledge of boob physics and animation outsourcing.
Unfortunately they don't have the budget for this
Feb 10, 2023 3:21 AM
Kuroni_Kuru

Dec 2020
Nothing wrong with a girl (or a boy or enbie for that matter) wearing an outfit that shows cleavage, both in anime and real life. As long as it's not sexualized, I don't care. If the camera constantly focuses on her cleavage, her breasts have jiggle mode activated 24/7, other characters often comment on the size of her breasts and/or she frequently exposes her bare chest, that's when it starts to get annoying...
Formerly known as Kuroni_Kuru
Feb 10, 2023 3:37 AM

May 2021
Kuroni_Kuru said:
Nothing wrong with a girl (or a boy or enbie for that matter) wearing an outfit that shows cleavage

Now i'm very curious to know how that would work...
Feb 10, 2023 3:55 AM

Jul 2020
DigiCat said:
Kuroni_Kuru said:
Nothing wrong with a girl (or a boy or enbie for that matter) wearing an outfit that shows cleavage

What's there to be curious about, it's not that difficult to imagine
Feb 10, 2023 4:14 AM
Apr 2020
"whoever uses a PC in the living room hates ecchi".
On facebook 🇧🇷, they debate a lot about this, and I always say this ☝️ sentence. And it's true, ecchi bothers those who watch in a public / busy place.
Also, and on the topic, there are anime that use ecchi as a resource, there are anime that don't use it but they do. It depends on the usage.
Ranma ½ is a great ecchi and I rarely see it mentioned.
Anyway, for me cleavage is normal, acceptable in some cases
I'm a penciller (comic & manga artist) and I love Gunpla & scratch build.
My best work in scratch, Kaneda bike
..._ _ _...

Click 👆 to see my profile
Feb 10, 2023 7:19 AM

May 2021
Inexplicable said:
DigiCat said:

What's there to be curious about, it's not that difficult to imagine

That is not a cleavage 🤣

character limit
Feb 10, 2023 7:41 AM

Apr 2020
Why are you trying to shame women for showing cleavage?
Feb 10, 2023 9:35 AM

Apr 2015
Kaasfondue said:
Why are you trying to shame women for showing cleavage?
At this point, I'm just going to call anyone who complains about breasts in anyway "boobphobic".
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 10, 2023 9:45 AM

Jan 2021
We need more boobs. Flat chests, big chests, all of the chests, we need more of it. And if boobs prevent you from focusing on the story, that's a you problem.

Feb 10, 2023 9:49 AM

Aug 2016
Nothing against cleavages, but I don't need the series to constantly go "LOOK THIS GIRL HAS A CLEAVAGE LOOK AT THIS CLEAVAGE HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CLEAVAGE LOOK IT'S A CLEAVAGE"
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 10, 2023 10:08 AM

Oct 2013
By that logic, clothes in general are completely irrelevant to the plot most of the time, so they might as well all be naked.

Feb 10, 2023 10:15 AM
Jan 2021
Not the biggest fan, it just seems like they're over sexualizing the characters. And as a girl with a preference to guys, i dont wanna always have them on my screen every other second yk? In some anime it makes sense, but in anime where it doesnt it's just too much.
Feb 10, 2023 1:04 PM

May 2021
Kat-Coat said:
And as a girl with a preference to guys, i dont wanna always have them on my screen every other second yk?

You should def watch Record Of Ragnarok, and if you don't particularly like it just watch the episodes with Adam in it
Feb 10, 2023 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
DigiCat said:
Kat-Coat said:
And as a girl with a preference to guys, i dont wanna always have them on my screen every other second yk?

You should def watch Record Of Ragnarok, and if you don't particularly like it just watch the episodes with Adam in it
Me taking notes... I was on the fence about this anime but I'll check it out
Feb 10, 2023 1:56 PM
Jan 2021
DigiCat said:
Kat-Coat said:

Noted! It looks really cool, I think i've thought about watching it before.
Feb 10, 2023 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
Kind of loses it's appeal when it's everywhere. Need to be more exclusive and less annoying. 

Support the small chested! 

Another issue is the lack of nipples on topless men in anime 
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» As a 10+ year otaku veteran you' tend to watch less anime, but consume otaku related things through other means like manga, seiyuus, Pixiv, doujinshi, etc. I am right now at that phase.

KiraraFan - 30 minutes ago

3 by logopolis »»
3 minutes ago

» Which version of waifu is your preference?

SgtBateMan - 20 minutes ago

4 by Little_Sheepling »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best anime with other planets / in space, what do you think?

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

12 by logopolis »»
20 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

600 by BaronLukis »»
32 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

79 by Kizuki01 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.