Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think the best modern anime is?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 28, 2022 9:57 PM

Jul 2017
My favorite is Mushoku Tensei for sure, although I will need to see how future seasons are done to see if it will truly stay at the top for me. It's got great storytelling, character growth for me over the course of the show and books, stellar production that brings justice to the source material's world and atmosphere really well, and much more. It's a challenging show for sure and one I didn't like at the very beginning, but the more time passes after getting through the anime and the books, the more I appreciate it. Even played a key part in helping me out through rough times for extra admiration and gratefulness here.

There are other series like Assassination Classroom and Bakuman I can mention here on that high favorites tier, but they aren't as refined on the production side and more straightforward as experiences compared to Mushoku Tensei, both still amazing though. Kill la Kill's pretty phenomenal too for me, a show that oozes so much entertainment, charisma and tackles themes in an interesting way in contrast to the absurd situations that take place in the series. Got some stellar direction and action too on a budget.

I don't care to decipher much about the best objective shows so just wanted to shoutout some of my favorites here.
Oct 28, 2022 10:08 PM

Jun 2019
animejas said:
My favorite is Mushoku Tensei for sure, although I will need to see how future seasons are done to see if it will truly stay at the top for me. It's got great storytelling, character growth for me over the course of the show and books, stellar production that brings justice to the source material's world and atmosphere really well, and much more. It's a challenging show for sure and one I didn't like at the very beginning, but the more time passes after getting through the anime and the books, the more I appreciate it. Even played a key part in helping me out through rough times for extra admiration and gratefulness here.

There are other series like Assassination Classroom and Bakuman I can mention here on that high favorites tier, but they aren't as refined on the production side and more straightforward as experiences compared to Mushoku Tensei, both still amazing though. Kill la Kill's pretty phenomenal too for me, a show that oozes so much entertainment, charisma and tackles themes in an interesting way in contrast to the absurd situations that take place in the series. Got some stellar direction and action too on a budget.

I don't care to decipher much about the best objective shows so just wanted to shoutout some of my favorites here.

I love the feeling when you can just feel a deeper appreciation or a connection with a show or movie, personally for me it was Higurashi 2007 and more in the modern theme Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. I haven't fully seen Mushoku Tensei, But I began episode 1 a few days ago and plan on finishing the rest. Hopefully I appreciate it as much as others are praising it.
Oct 28, 2022 10:10 PM
Aug 2021
Personally? Re:zero. but with some measure of objectivity it's probably like, Mob Psycho from the series I've seen, I think it'll be a series that will be looked back on very favorably
Oct 28, 2022 10:14 PM

Jul 2017
NanOki said:
animejas said:

I love the feeling when you can just feel a deeper appreciation or a connection with a show or movie, personally for me it was Higurashi 2007 and more in the modern theme Kaguya Hime no Monogatari. I haven't fully seen Mushoku Tensei, But I began episode 1 a few days ago and plan on finishing the rest. Hopefully I appreciate it as much as others are praising it.

I have that feeling with other series even besides the ones listed here. Silver Spoon as well is an underappreciated example of a series that I cherish with a deeper connection, as someone who felt mentally drained with being where I was, and moving to an environment completely different to me (across the world) and adapting in unfamiliar territories, although not to the degree by any means as the MC did with that show since I'm not an agriculture-related student at all. Even A Place Further than the Universe is a series I had strong connections with in my youth and how me and my friends in the past travelled alone and enjoyed a trip for 3 weeks after school was done, which is still the best period of my life ever. Tsuki ga Kirei too and how strong it reminded me of my complicated first relationship in my life, which I cherish the memories of even more because of this series. It's just such a good feeling finding media that you can just connect with in a special way for whatever reason.
Oct 28, 2022 10:28 PM

Oct 2019
2011 - Gintama' + Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
2012 - Fate/Zero 2nd Season + To LOVE-Ru Darkness
2013 - Monogatari Series: Second Season
2015 - Gintama°
2016 - Kimi no Na wa
2017 - Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
2019 - Kimetsu no Yaiba
2020 - Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai + Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T
2021 - Love Live! Superstar!! + Kanojo mo Kanojo
2022 - Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 + Spy x Family
Oct 28, 2022 10:31 PM

Dec 2018
Madoka because she died for our sins, saving trigger in the process
Oct 29, 2022 1:16 AM
Jun 2021
None.

I know, I sound stuck up, but most of the time I just don't feel modern anime at all.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Oct 29, 2022 2:16 AM

Aug 2018
Hunter x hunter is defo up there, probably Aot up until now (statistically it is) but its all over once Part 3 comes out 🤧

Oct 29, 2022 2:20 AM

Feb 2020
My favorite anime after 2011 is Fruit basket. It pretty straight forward answer too, because it league above even most of my other favorites.
AdampkOct 29, 2022 2:24 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 29, 2022 5:09 AM

Oct 2013
For me the best anime series from 2011 to present is Violet Evergarden, by far. Also, I really love a good Mystery anime, so there's lots of those on my list:

1. Violet Evergarden
2. Ancient Magus' Bride
3. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
4. Psycho Pass
5. Death Parade
6. ACCA 13
7. Gosick
8. Gargantia on the Verduous Planet
9. Holmes of Kyoto
10. Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigations

Honorable Mention: Psychic Detective Yakumo (Fall 2010, close enough)

As for Anime movies, Kimi no na wa: Your Name has no equal.
Oct 29, 2022 7:34 AM

Aug 2019
Since 2011? Probably Stein's Gate, Hunter X Hunter, Vinland Saga or Attack on Titan.
Oct 29, 2022 8:54 AM
Feb 2020
Probably Demon Slayer as its direction and high production is the main reason its that good. The story is not amazing but does everything right in terms of a shonen that would get popular. If I would say another anime it would be Kaguya-sama Love is War, just because its different than most of the popular animes as it is a romcom that acheives everything needed to be great.
Oct 29, 2022 9:01 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Either the goated Steins;Gate, Fruits Basket or March Comes in like a Lion.
Oct 29, 2022 9:06 AM

Sep 2020
El001 said:
I can confidently say that ACCA is the classiest modern anime. It's the anime equivalent of fine wine.
+1.

My list would look like -

Oct 30, 2022 1:23 PM
Dec 2021
Black Rock Shooter (TV), which came out in 2012. The character designs are unique, and they’re amplified by god-level animation. The focus of the show isn’t solely on visuals. The characters are well-written and relatable, and the plot revolves around their friendship. It’s realistic too, as the friends sometimes fight and have disagreements, but they reconcile in the end, and help each other through their emotional pain.
Nov 2, 2022 4:11 PM

May 2020
well you class 2011 as present so that would easily be steins;gate and steins;gate 0
Nov 2, 2022 4:24 PM

Oct 2019
i mean we have to look at them based on genres.

but if i had to pick one single series as the best thing that has come out of modern anime, it's probably made in abyss, at least so far.

But truth be told, vinland saga or madoka magica can very much so reach it with their upcoming seasons.

i guess steins;gate would also technically be in the timeframe, but I rather pick entries that all of their seasons/movies combined show their value. As much as I love everything steins;gate, 0 and the movie are not even close to being, best modern anime material. but if we only count the original, that one is up there too.

oh one last thing, a lot of people are mentioning aot, and I would put it up here too if not for the latest season.

idk if this is spoiler since I'm not a manga reader, but have a warning just in case:

APolygons2Nov 2, 2022 4:31 PM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Nov 2, 2022 6:10 PM
Nov 2021
Fuck it- I'm pretty new to anime, but I'd have to say "Shiguang Dailiren"
Nov 2, 2022 6:20 PM

Oct 2017
Shitpost Answer: Interspecies Reviewers 10/10 would fuck again.

More Series Answer: Not counting adaptations of works released before the 2010s (like Jojo which started in the 80s but the adaptation has only been starting in the past 10 years), I would probably say Given is the anime that stayed in my mind the most. As a pansexual person myself I thought that it tackled the subject of the main character discovering his sexuality very well and the character relationships are very believable and well written. And as someone who used to play guitar I really enjoyed a lot of the music aspect of the show and how the characters go to the music store to buy stuff for the band, and go through some of those troubles with songwriting until they get that final perfect song in the end. I'd highly reccomend watching it even if you aren't generally into yaoi/BL anime since the romance is actually pretty grounded and believable compared to most anime romances with a lot less misunderstanding and communication issues, and if you are really into music you'd enjoy it for the technical aspects it goes into. I haven't seen the movie yet but it probably is just as good as the TV anime.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Nov 2, 2022 7:34 PM

Oct 2017
March Comes in Like a Lion still hoping a S3 gets made. Pretty much the perfect drama. Production for the show was great so atmospheric especially in terms of the change in tone between Rei's different worlds. You get a story that fleshes out almost every single character you meet and tackles topics like depression, isolation or anxiety from age and retirement very well.
Nov 3, 2022 12:49 AM

May 2018
b1tch-chan said:
Fuck it- I'm pretty new to anime

Well it shows since Shiguang Dailiren (Link Click) is not anime.
Nov 3, 2022 6:35 AM

Apr 2018
March Comes In Like a Lion by a pretty big margin.
Nov 3, 2022 7:29 AM

May 2016
The correct answer is Steins;Gate. Any other answer is wrong.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Nov 3, 2022 9:35 AM
Nov 2021
alshu said:
b1tch-chan said:
Fuck it- I'm pretty new to anime

Well it shows since Shiguang Dailiren (Link Click) is not anime.

Fair enough. My opinion no longer applies.
Nov 3, 2022 10:02 AM

Mar 2021
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Bottom text
Nov 3, 2022 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
>Anime gets better as the technology gets better
>Ex-Arm was using only modern techniques
>Therefore Ex-Arm is the best anime of all times, modern or old

No, don't thank me. All the pleasure was mine.
Nov 3, 2022 11:36 AM
Dec 2020
Mawaru Penguindrum.

/thread
Nov 3, 2022 12:03 PM

Aug 2022
For me it's split between Nichijou, Eizouken, Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka and Watamote. Honestly hard for me to think of any others that stand out since most of favourites are conveniently right before 2011 lol
Nov 3, 2022 12:11 PM

Dec 2020
Steins;Gate (and S;G 0), Haikyuu, Kaguya, Mushoku Tensei or something like that.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Nov 4, 2022 5:37 AM

Oct 2008
Modern in my mind is what's been getting a lot of attention in the last few years. From what I've seen that would be delinquents:

Banana Fish
The Way of the Househusband
Tokyo Revengers
Great Pretender

Recently "Cyberpunk: Edgerunners"

I could be wrong, but a lot of delinquent & yakuza, type stuff has been popping up. Or is it just me?
Nov 6, 2022 2:35 PM

Mar 2018
Shinjitsu Shinki Animation and it isn't even on MAL
Nov 6, 2022 2:45 PM

Oct 2014
Definitely sangatsu! Although a close second would be rakugo s1 and s2
Nov 6, 2022 2:56 PM

Sep 2020
I say the 1st season of Vinland Saga, Gundam the Origin as a close 2nd place
Nov 6, 2022 3:28 PM

Sep 2020
Deathko said:

holy shit an "Ex-Arm is best animu" post! How inventive!
Nov 7, 2022 6:57 AM

Jul 2015
AwokenStroken said:
Deathko said:

holy shit an "Ex-Arm is best animu" post! How inventive!

You'll get the joke once you spent enough time here dealing with zoomers UwU
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art?

Spunkert - Mar 11

47 by DesuMaiden »»
37 seconds ago

Poll: » should an anime be mature and/or intelligent to be considered masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

deg - Jul 29, 2022

63 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» What's one anime or character in your favorites you wish had Ecchi or Hentai scenes for officially?

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

6 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

90 by Anjuro »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - 45 minutes ago

4 by PeripheralVision »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.