Forum Settings
Forums

What’s an anime that everyone else loves but you didn’t?

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2022 10:00 AM
Oct 2022
Kii_Ibarra said:
I can elaborate on most of these entries if anyone's curious, but since I don't wanna exceed MAL's character limits I'll just stick to naming a few examples right now

Basically every popular ecchi
Vivy Flourite Eye's Song

So which popular ecchi specifically and why Vivy exactly
Oct 14, 2022 10:09 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
hayathusran said:
So, you are fine with non-popular ecchi, huh? And I don't think Pop Team Epic is liked by many people.
Nah, I usually hate all ecchi. Just that the unpopular ones wouldn't really fit the OP's prompt, I suppose

Maybe the Pop Team Epic hype's died down? I remember the first season being huge when it came out (with some even calling it the "next Nichijou", lol), but I barely hear anything about it anymore, even with season 2 currently airing

AnimeTyger said:
So which popular ecchi specifically and why Vivy exactly
Hmm... Maken-Ki!, Nagatoro, Eromanga Sensei, and... are Cat Planet Cuties and Magical Sempai popular?

I just found Vivy painfully generic. Robots trying to learn emotion and understand the meaning of existence is something I've seen many times before (despite being a comedy, Bender from Futurama was a pretty earnest take on the idea, IMO) as is a time-traveler coming from the apocalypse to warn someone who can stop it (Fire Emblem Awakening being my favorite example)
And while I will admit that I found the animation gorgeous (which seems to be the biggest praise most have for the series), all I personally care about when I watch an anime is the writing

But, hey, to each their own. If anybody does enjoy any of the series I named, I'm happy for 'em! :)
My greatest contribution to this website:
Oct 14, 2022 10:09 AM

Dec 2015
Hmmm hard to say which titles are "globally" loved and which are the ones which has bigger rate than I did, but for sure Dragon Ball is one of these titles. Naruto is the second. Attack on Titan final season part 2 which stopped defending itself with plot. Ars Nova despite the fact that I've rated it by 1 grade lower but so far at Animemusicquiz I've found alot of people who gave it 8+, Suisei no Gargantia, Hack Sign, Index III and I guess that's all which I didn't like, which has a higher opinion in majority or at least has a higher rating in this site than my personal one.

Klad said:
nashpika said:
SAO eww, i still remember how bored and frustrated i got while watching Alicization. I ended up dropping it
unless the general opinion has changed, everyone hates on sao
SkyfallStar said:
nashpika said:
SAO eww, i still remember how bored and frustrated i got while watching Alicization. I ended up dropping it

Please, please show me the people loving Sword Art Online! I am here defending its glory from hordes of mindless haters all alone, yet here you are claiming that other people actually love it? How blind have I been then?

I do. Since 2012 before the Season 2 even aired and each season I've been watching as seasonals. The fact that you can't see the fandom/others who like it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Oct 14, 2022 10:14 AM

May 2020
Kinda impossible for me to answer because there's no universal loved anime

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Oct 14, 2022 10:28 AM

Aug 2022
Otaku-kun88 said:
One Piece for me.
I knew I wouldnt like it even before I started watching it, but my roommate kept pestering me, saying "Oh its a good show, you should watch it", so I decided to give it a try, but like I thought, that anime isnt for me. Im someone who watches every anime to the end, even animes that I dont like, so now Im stuck watching that crap... T_T

Not trying to offend you, but hate-watching 642 episodes is bordering on psychotic...
I gave One Piece a fair try of 45 episodes and dropped it, but even that was a chore. 642 seems insane to me. Unless you secretly enjoying it now.
Oct 14, 2022 12:56 PM
Apr 2013
host_ said:
Otaku-kun88 said:
One Piece for me.
I knew I wouldnt like it even before I started watching it, but my roommate kept pestering me, saying "Oh its a good show, you should watch it", so I decided to give it a try, but like I thought, that anime isnt for me. Im someone who watches every anime to the end, even animes that I dont like, so now Im stuck watching that crap... T_T

Not trying to offend you, but hate-watching 642 episodes is bordering on psychotic...
I gave One Piece a fair try of 45 episodes and dropped it, but even that was a chore. 642 seems insane to me. Unless you secretly enjoying it now.

Please re-read my message, or at least the last sentence. I clearly said "Im someone who watches every anime to the end, even animes that I dont like". If you looked at my list of animes, then you probably saw that theres 0 entry in the "dropped" section.
Oct 14, 2022 1:00 PM

Aug 2022
Otaku-kun88 said:
host_ said:

Please re-read my message, or at least the last sentence. I clearly said "Im someone who watches every anime to the end, even animes that I dont like". If you looked at my list of animes, then you probably saw that theres 0 entry in the "dropped" section.

Yeah I know, I've read it. Hate-watching something for 1000+ episodes is bonkers nonetheless.
Oct 14, 2022 1:02 PM
Oct 2022
Otaku-kun88 said:
host_ said:

You could have just said you are a masochist with a lot of time in your hands.
Oct 14, 2022 1:03 PM

Feb 2021
Kaguya-sama. I don't like this series. It is so stupid and predictable.
Oct 14, 2022 1:06 PM

Aug 2022
Fmab
A suggestion for mal please decrease the word countbest mal suggestion ever - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2047945
Oct 14, 2022 1:09 PM
Jan 2021
Cowboy bebop
Hunter x Garbage
Flcl
Monster was good but the paving was shit
Samurai champ oo
Oct 14, 2022 1:39 PM
Feb 2021
dont hate it but aot just wasn't that good for me
Oct 14, 2022 1:41 PM
Apr 2013
hayathusran said:
Otaku-kun88 said:

Im not though. You never know what will happen in an anime. I may not like One Piece now, but I might like it later. Thats the main reason why I never drop an anime. Take Gintama for example. The first 20~40 episodes sock, but every episode after that is a masterpiece! Im really glad I didnt drop it.

host_ said:
Otaku-kun88 said:

Yeah I know, I've read it. Hate-watching something for 1000+ episodes is bonkers nonetheless.

I wont deny that, but I only watch a few episodes of OP from time to time. Thats how Im able to keep watching the show without dropping it.
Oct 14, 2022 1:52 PM

Jul 2021
Clannad and Bakemonogatari, I don't dislike them, it's just that I don't think they're that great.
Oct 14, 2022 4:25 PM
Oct 2022
ScionOfCyan said:
AnimeTyger said:

Maybe it gets better but I just can’t get past how those characters treated Simon and his grief.
it's true that this is a feel bad and it's also true that this is realistic storytelling. by and large, this is how human beings treat men in times like that.

It just really got under my skin and because that I may never finish that show. I also really hate Yoko’s character after that as well
Oct 14, 2022 4:42 PM

Oct 2019
I would say morirarty the patriot season 2 is the only thing that I thought was below average despite the fact that next to no one disliked it.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 15, 2022 1:40 AM

Sep 2018
Toradora and Oreimo

In both cases I really hated how the mc & main girl just ruin everyone elses lives including their close friends, seemingly just for the sake of it. They could have gone the love route while still keeping friends, but it seemed like the writers really wanted to make a point.

Both shows were iirc very well received, so my perspective on them is pretty rare I think.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Oct 15, 2022 1:51 AM

Aug 2018
Elinchayiel said:
Toradora and Oreimo

In both cases I really hated how the mc & main girl just ruin everyone elses lives including their close friends, seemingly just for the sake of it. They could have gone the love route while still keeping friends, but it seemed like the writers really wanted to make a point.

Both shows were iirc very well received, so my perspective on them is pretty rare I think.

yeah Oreimo was mad doodoo, season 1 wasnt that bad cuz they really weren't pushing the incest relationship that much but when season 2 hit, it really went downhill from there. Kousaka cemented himself as one of the most hated & obnoxious MCs in anime history

Oct 15, 2022 2:06 AM

Sep 2016
the digital embodiment of cringe that is JoJo and utter trash that is Fate

Oct 15, 2022 2:15 AM
Sep 2016
My hero academia. Midoriya and Bakugo just piss me off to no end. And superhero things isn't my cup of tea.
Oct 15, 2022 2:20 AM
May 2021
Serafos said:
Ping Pong, S;G, NGE, Konosuba, Spy x Family, Gintama.

Then what do you like ??? S;g can't be on someone's hate list...
Oct 15, 2022 2:21 AM
Sep 2016
Otaku-kun88 said:
hayathusran said:

Im not though. You never know what will happen in an anime. I may not like One Piece now, but I might like it later. Thats the main reason why I never drop an anime. Take Gintama for example. The first 20~40 episodes sock, but every episode after that is a masterpiece! Im really glad I didnt drop it.

host_ said:

I wont deny that, but I only watch a few episodes of OP from time to time. Thats how Im able to keep watching the show without dropping it.

I'd just drop the one piece anime if I were you. I'm a massive One piece fan but the anime is trash. some people may tell you that the animation gets better after episode 900 onwards but the pacing is still as trash as ever. If you want to continue one piece, I suggest that you switch to manga instead.
Oct 15, 2022 2:29 AM

Jun 2020
Tatami Galaxy.. it's not bad! But I didn't really enjoy it..
Oct 15, 2022 2:31 AM

Aug 2017
Klad said:
nashpika said:
unless the general opinion has changed, everyone hates on sao

i love sao! sao is just a fun battle shonen to me!
Oct 15, 2022 2:32 AM

Aug 2017
Otaku-kun88 said:
One Piece for me.

bro how can you call one piece crap? are you kidding me?
Oct 15, 2022 2:33 AM

Aug 2017
animejas said:
There's a million anime I can categorize here but gonna just name a few of them for a sample:

- Clannad After Story (whole of Clannad actually can be here)
- Hunter x Hunter 2011 (mainly for the Chimera Ant arc)
- Fruits Basket (original and full remake)
- Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
- Re:Zero
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Violet Evergarden
- Code Geass
- Jujutsu Kaisen/Demon Slayer
- Your Lie in April
- Mob Psycho 100/OPM
- Ranking of Kings

Some of these were a bit more frustrating than others given how I was watching with friends and I felt like the odd man out in the room, but yeah these generally have been really frustrating or bad for me to get through overall, whether it's a first time or even a rewatch to give it another shot after quite some time.

"i'm such a contrarian i hate popular stuff" is that what you wanna tell us?
Oct 15, 2022 2:34 AM

Aug 2017
Bowtieworthy said:
Definantly Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, I just couldn't get into it I powered through 42 episodes and dropped it. It was super dull to me

goat opinion tbh more people should drop fma like you. better yet not even watch it or give any attention to it.
Oct 15, 2022 2:40 AM
Oct 2022
SD_strange said:
Serafos said:
Ping Pong, S;G, NGE, Konosuba, Spy x Family, Gintama.

Then what do you like ??? S;g can't be on someone's hate list...

Not liking something is not same as hating it, you teens should realize that already.
Oct 15, 2022 3:01 AM

Aug 2012
Mushoku Tensei. It's a badly done, generic as f-ck isekai that people claim is NOT generic isekai because they're deluded. Also, I despise the vast majority of the characters in that particular anime, but Rudeus is by far the most trash character in it.
Oct 15, 2022 3:14 AM

Sep 2018
duchessliz87 said:
Mushoku Tensei. It's a badly done, generic as f-ck isekai that people claim is NOT generic isekai because they're deluded. Also, I despise the vast majority of the characters in that particular anime, but Rudeus is by far the most trash character in it.

Do you think its generic, or a bad show that you really hate? Those are different things.

If its generic.. why would you hate it so much? The thing about truly generic shows.. is that they arent great or terrible. They are just forgettable.
Only reason I can think of to hate a generic show is if its an adaptation of great source material, downgraded into being a ''generic'' anime.

Tho might just be the case of you not understanding what generic means. I have seen a lot of people just using words like ''generic'' or ''mediocre'' thinking it means ''bad'' or something. In a way you could argue that it does mean ''bad'', since being forgotten is often worse then being controversial.. lol, but that is a very meta take on their meaning.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Oct 15, 2022 3:30 AM
Aug 2021
AnimeTyger said:
For me it’s Cowboy Bebop. I felt like it had little to no character development or growth. For me I found that it lacked a strong story to keep me invested and I found the episodic nature of the anime to be really boring especially with an interesting concept and world. Don’t get me wrong I’ve watched other episodic shows but they were able to keep me invested unlike Cowboy Bebop. So how about you what anime does everyone else love but you don’t?
86. everyone around me liked this. but imo this anime is nothing but crap
Oct 15, 2022 3:35 AM

Aug 2012
Elinchayiel said:
duchessliz87 said:

Do you think its generic, or a bad show that you really hate? Those are different things.

If its generic.. why would you hate it so much? The thing about truly generic shows.. is that they arent great or terrible. They are just forgettable.
Only reason I can think of to hate a generic show is if its an adaptation of great source material, downgraded into being a ''generic'' anime.

Tho might just be the case of you not understanding what generic means. I have seen a lot of people just using words like ''generic'' or ''mediocre'' thinking it means ''bad'' or something. In a way you could argue that it does mean ''bad'', since being forgotten is often worse then being controversial.. lol, but that is a very meta take on their meaning.

Read my sentence about the characters. The reason I despise the show isn't because it's generic. Also, it irritates me that so many people delude themselves and others by claiming it's the 'God of Isekai Anime' like it's something special and it's not. It's run of the mill plot wise, but with absolutely loathsome characters. I despise it because I hate the characters. Seriously hate them with everything in me to which point I've come to think of the anime itself as an absolute dumpster fire because of the characters. Generic doesn't bother me, I've actually enjoyed several generic shows, many being isekai, but I absolutely cannot stand the characters in this series, especially Rudeus.
Oct 15, 2022 3:40 AM
Oct 2022
duchessliz87 said:
Elinchayiel said:

Read my sentence about the characters. The reason I despise the show isn't because it's generic. Also, it irritates me that so many people delude themselves and others by claiming it's the 'God of Isekai Anime' like it's something special and it's not. It's run of the mill plot wise, but with absolutely loathsome characters. I despise it because I hate the characters. Seriously hate them with everything in me to which point I've come to think of the anime itself as an absolute dumpster fire because of the characters. Generic doesn't bother me, I've actually enjoyed several generic shows, many being isekai, but I absolutely cannot stand the characters in this series, especially Rudeus.

If you keep malding like that you won't have any hair left.
Oct 15, 2022 3:40 AM
Aug 2017
As someone who likes the romance genre, My Dress Up Darling and Tonikaku Kawaii completely fell flat for me.
Oct 15, 2022 4:06 AM

Mar 2021
host_ said:
Otaku-kun88 said:

he made himself a slave to something he doesn't like lol

Oct 15, 2022 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
none because i don't eat food that i don't like
Oct 15, 2022 4:25 AM
Jul 2021
Toradora
Golden time
They seem quite popular here But I absolutely hated watching them.
Oct 15, 2022 4:41 AM
Apr 2020
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Akira
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Grand Blue
Barakamon
Ookami to Koushinryou
KonoSuba
Oct 15, 2022 4:57 AM

Oct 2022
My Hero Academia and Fairy Tail back when they were popular. Right now i don't even know, when i look at the top 100 (or maybe even 200) highest rated anime worst thing i could say about some of them is just "avarage". Maybe, Kimetsu no Yaiba? For some reason it's really hard to watch for me, i dropped it 2 times which is kind of surprising, because despite some boring parts i thought Kimetsu no Yaiba manga was 8/10.
Audaces fortuna juvat.
Oct 15, 2022 5:01 AM
Oct 2016
Kii_Ibarra said:
I can elaborate on most of these entries if anyone's curious, but since I don't wanna exceed MAL's character limits I'll just stick to naming a few examples right now

Basically every popular ecchi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Beyond the Boundary
Pop Team Epic
Vivy Flourite Eye's Song

Many people hate pop team epic, it`s the 2617th highest rated show on MAL.
Oct 15, 2022 5:04 AM

Sep 2020
can these type of threads actually locked 💀 i've seen this thread with a same title different op's

Sep 2020
can these type of threads actually locked 💀 i've seen this thread with a same title different op's
Oct 2016
Code geass had a really bad start so i dropped it at episode 6. Maybe it gets better later on but i`m not going to continue it.
Oct 15, 2022 5:19 AM

Dec 2021
spy x family gets really old in a heartbeat
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Oct 15, 2022 5:20 AM

Sep 2018
duchessliz87 said:
Elinchayiel said:

Yeah thats more fair. Seeing people exclaim it as the best thing since sliced bread is pretty weird to me too. The story has some big writing issues, but those arent apparent yet in the anime. But I do think on its own its an interesting setting and story. For characters well, I loved some characters and hated others. A lot of people love Eris, I thought she started in a terrible state (which is what the story intended) and gets a lot better.. only to kind of undo that at the end of season 1. Even then I liked Roxy the most and second Sylph, and those dont appear again untill decently far into the story.

If you mainly hated the characters I can understand why you rate the anime itself very low. The story in this show is heavily built upon the characters. If I hadnt gone ahead and read the novels after cour 1, I might not like it as much either.

Tho I will say the plot isnt as ''run of the mill'' as it seems. Downside of its slow build up is that it does take forever to get to the good ''turning points'' in the story.
Oct 15, 2022 5:25 AM

Sep 2022
Definitely Mushoku Tensei. I can't believe people like that Pedo shit. Rudeus is the worst protagonist i have ever seen.
DeOnePieceIsRealOct 15, 2022 5:34 AM
Oct 15, 2022 5:48 AM

Jul 2017
-Elevate- said:
animejas said:
There's a million anime I can categorize here but gonna just name a few of them for a sample:

- Clannad After Story (whole of Clannad actually can be here)
- Hunter x Hunter 2011 (mainly for the Chimera Ant arc)
- Fruits Basket (original and full remake)
- Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
- Re:Zero
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Violet Evergarden
- Code Geass
- Jujutsu Kaisen/Demon Slayer
- Your Lie in April
- Mob Psycho 100/OPM
- Ranking of Kings

Some of these were a bit more frustrating than others given how I was watching with friends and I felt like the odd man out in the room, but yeah these generally have been really frustrating or bad for me to get through overall, whether it's a first time or even a rewatch to give it another shot after quite some time.

"i'm such a contrarian i hate popular stuff" is that what you wanna tell us?

Not really, just told shows I didn't like. There are popular shows out there that actually lived up to the bill, these are some of the ones that didn't come close to doing so.
Oct 15, 2022 5:59 AM

May 2018
Boku no Hero Academia. Overrated show, toxic fans.
Oct 15, 2022 6:26 AM

Aug 2020
devilman crybaby, angel beats, 5cm per second, inferno cop, grand blue, hotarubi no mori e, dangandronpa, assassination classroom, tonikawa, made in abyss, chobits, terror in resonance (last 3 arent that bad... just more mediocre and overhyped)

also those ecchi romancey weeby anime like rent a gf and my first gf is a gal, i know many people dislike them 2 on myanimelist but ive met many non critical people who love them... cant relate though i despise them.

edit: before someone replies saying "im trying to be different" thats not the case. I can understand why people like these, i just find them either unfunny, cliché or weird in a bad way.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think mal influences what series succeeds? Does mal impact the anime industry?

rohan121 - Yesterday

28 by WesternSiren »»
12 minutes ago

» How well do you remember when you watched a certain anime?

thewiru - 2 hours ago

9 by palm-tree »»
14 minutes ago

» DO you and MAL consider uncensored version as another anime?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

12 by SawronZXZ »»
32 minutes ago

» why is it widely accepted that slanting a chinese character's eyes is racist but anime does it all the time?

karo86 - 6 hours ago

22 by hazecloud »»
36 minutes ago

» What do you think about the difference between Japanese and Western age targeting? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Oct 2

94 by Cielord »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.